Camp Kumoni : 49

Printer-friendly version



Camp Kumoni
By Anistasia Allread
Edited by Alexis
     
sunlitforest.jpg

Camp Kumoni 49

Deep in thought, Erika didn’t realize how late it was getting. The long shadows of dusk were beginning to creep across the land.

Should Erika give Samantha another chance? She has always been in love with the blonde cheerleader. She had always admired her from afar, but having her, actually holding her in her arms, kissing her. It was something altogether different. It was almost as if Samantha was paying her back. Paying her back for saving her from Josh. Paying her back from the poor treatment at school. The attention that Samantha had been giving Erika over the past couple of days almost seemed like it was work, a chore for the blonde.

No. She had given Samantha a chance. It just wouldn’t work out. What did Samantha see? Did she see ‘The Plague’ in girls’ clothing? Or perhaps she saw Erika, a girl, a cabin mate, a friend, a friend of her late sister’s. She was pretty sure she didn’t see Eric. Her heart ached.

This whole façade, this whole summer trial was to find a way into Samantha’s heart. . . or was it? No, if she remembered it correctly, this whole business was to be able to spend TIME with Samantha. To spend time with the outgoing, beautiful Samantha.

Samantha was like a spotlight. It was intoxicating when that intense light was cast upon you, but lonely when it left. The whole time you’re not in it, you’re hoping, begging, praying that it would illuminate you once again. While it was shining on you, you mattered, you were the world, and you could do anything as long as that light remained focused on you. This spotlight however enjoyed moving from one person on the stage to another. It would eventually get back to you, but it never stayed long enough.

Erika’s deep thoughts were interrupted by the sight of Rachel, and Samantha following Director Hobbs across the sand. Erika slid off of her log, picked up the plate of un-eaten food and made her way to the sand.

She tossed her waste in a large receptacle and began following her cabin mates up the trail.

“Erika, you’re to rest today.” Director instructed when she found the injured girl tagging along. “I’ll get another to take your place tonight.”

“I’m fine, Mrs. Hobbs.”

“I know that you are, but I promised Dr. Jackson that I’d make you rest today.” She turned around ending the discussion.

“You go back to the beach and relax.” Tricia came up behind her. “We’ll take care of this.”

Katie, Dani, Victoria, and Krystal all followed Tricia up the trail.

“I will not go back to the beach while you all try and work off my punishment.” Erika protested. She fell in line with them and marched up the trail to the dining hall.

Sheila met them at the kitchen door and handed them each an apron. “As I promised, it won’t be that bad tonight.”

There were bowls to be washed, food left over from the barbeque to be put away and floors to be swept.

Victoria took up an authoritative stance. “Erika, you need to sit down over there.” She pointed to a stool. “Dr.’s orders.”

“I’m fine.” Erika stated.

“Please, Erika.” Krystal pleaded. “You hit your head on the diving board, almost drown, and were hit in the head by a flour bomb. I’d say that you’ve done enough for one day.”

“At least let me dry and put stuff away.” Erika huffed.

The girls all looked at one another.

“Fine.” Rachel agreed. “But if you start to feel woozy or drop anything, then we get to duct tape you to the chair.”

Erika held out her hand to receive a towel.

“Any idea on who pranked out cabin?” Victoria asked.

A few shook their heads.

“I don’t think it really matters anymore.” Rachel grimaced. “I think Hobbs is putting a halt to it tomorrow.” Rachel and Krystal exchanged looks.

“How is she going to do that?” Samantha asked.

“Anyone caught during, or after the prank will be sent home.” Rachel sighed. “I had the perfect prank for the Oak boys too.”

“And the Spruce, and the Alder.” Dani teased.

“But someone got hurt.” Krystal looked worried over at Erika.

“But I wasn’t hurt.” Erika protested. “Well, I was hurt before the flour fell on my head anyway. . . but the flour bomb didn’t do anything except get all over in my hair.”

Rachel scowled.

With the whole cabin showing up to help out, the kitchen was sparkling clean thirty to forty minutes later. While, Rachel left to get Sheila for the inspection, the rest of the Lavender Ladies stood around outside the kitchen door, enjoying the balmy, if not smoky evening air.

Sheila walked around the kitchen once, and glanced things over. “Looks good to me. Thanks girls.” She went back out and disappeared in the darkening evening.

“Now what?” Katie inquired.

“Fireworks.” Rachel’s voice took on an edge of excitement.

“Even with this forest fire?” Victoria shook her head. “I doubt it.”

“I overheard Hobbs this afternoon.” Rachel grinned. “Three fire fighters are bringing their families up. The fire fighters are going to be lighting them off so that we and their families can enjoy a traditional Fourth.”

The Lavender Ladies of Columbine joined hands and walked with a bit of spring in their step down to the trail to the lake where the campers were all gathering for the show.

Samantha held Erika’s hand on one side; Tricia held her hand on the other. Dani, on the end, had to take one and a half steps per every one of theirs to keep up.

The girls emerged on the beach to find campers in various positions, sitting or lying on the beach, laughing, and chatting as they waited.

All of the good spots on the sandy beach were taken by campers who didn’t have to wash dishes or clean the kitchen. The Columbine girls stood on the main path, looking for an area open enough for them to stay together.

“There’s Derek.” Dani practically squealed. “Mind if I join him?”

“No, go ahead.” Victoria urged.

Erika noticed Katie’s face slump a little as the diminutive figure wove her way around spectators to the smiling red head waiting for her.

“We could sit on the docks.” Katie sighed.

“Or even better, we could lay down on the docks and stare almost straight up at them.” Rachel picked up on the idea.

“No one else is out there.” Victoria pointed out. “Will they let us do that?”

“Doesn’t hurt to ask.” Rachel released Krystal’s hand and went up to Todd.

After a few seconds of conversing, Rachel waved her cabin over with a smile. “We can. We just can’t be getting into the water.”

Erika could feel hundreds of pairs of eyes watching her as she and her cabin mates walked out onto the dock and took up places out by the diving boards.

The incidents that happened this morning just a few feet away seemed like a long time ago to her. She eyed the high dive, then looked sheepishly over at Tricia who blushed.

“I am sorry.” Tricia bit her lower lip.

“Don’t be, it was all my fault.”

“I still feel responsible.”

Erika gave her hand a squeeze. “Stop it. Let’s enjoy this fire work show.”

The girls sat down on the dock, Rachel and Katie lay back letting the warmth of the wood from the day’s sun warm their backs.

Erika looked to her left at Samantha. “I’m sorry.” She stated, squeezing the cheerleader’s hand.

“About what?”

“About what I said this afternoon.”

“You were right though.” Samantha sighed. “I did a lot of soul searching after wards. I had a lot to think about. I still do. But one thing is for certain, you needn’t apologize for stating how you feel.”

“I just don’t ever want to hurt you, Samantha.”

“And I don’t want to hurt you. Or lose someone who is almost like a sister to me.” Samantha squeezed Erika’s hand.

Erika pulled Samantha too her and embraced her fiercely. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

The two girls released and smiled at one another.

A swooshing noise followed by a loud pop interrupted the moment.

“There that wasn’t so bad, you two, now was it.” Tricia stated, giving Erika’s leg a squeeze.

Erika’s reply was drowned out by explosions as large blossoms filled the sky above the lake.

up
198 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Am I the first?

It's a bit short, but it was nice to see Sam and Erika get back on speaking terms. Relationships, however short, rarely end so amicably.

Nice one AA

NB

Jessica
I don't just look it, I really AM that bad . . .

Sortin out the tuff stuff.

I'm sitting here eating Strawberry, Whipped Cream, Cake with frothy Pudding in it. Yummmm. That and this story make for a very pleasant evening.

Gwen

Short, Sweet...

...and reassuring, I guess, that Erika and Samantha have straightened out some of their difficulties. (But are they on the same page even now? Not sure why I'm thinking otherwise.)

Still a lot of directions this can go, though if Hobbs can keep order here it may be relatively smooth sailing until Parents' Day.

Eric

("The balmy if not smoky evening air?" Since "balmy" is normally a pleasant condition and "smoky" somewhat unpleasant, I'm really unclear on A.A.'s meaning here. Balmy despite being smoky? Balmy because it's smoky (the forest fire having raised the air temperature)? Balmy and surprisingly unsmoky? That last would seem to be the literal meaning of the "if not" phrase. Despite the context -- the girls are "enjoying" the conditions -- I still can't decide which of the three is intended.)

Agree that it's nice to see Samantha and Eric/a talking

of course being a hopeless romantic I'd prefer to see a little different response on Samantha's part. I guess truth is the way it is so we need to deal with it and move on. Knowing how he really feels, I still feel really sorry for Eric when Samantha starts up with her next jock. I remember how much that hurts to watch.

Still no solution to "the plague" so seems like this story has a long way to go yet. Compliments ot the author! It's a sensitive one with many memories of teenage angst.

Woody

Nice come back for ...

Eric/a and Samantha. It was almost a kiss and makeup. But it was close.

Hello A.A.!!! ^___^ ;-D

Thanks for another chapter Anistasia! At least some loose ends were cleared up. However, I did see Katie look sad that Danni went to sit with Derek. We'll just have to find a date for her so that she won't feel left out. Even though Katie has her cabin mates to fall back on. Maybe she is shy as well for being a tall girl. It has been known to happen. To find someone you can relate to is the biggest challenge to face in dating just as tall as she is. Maybe in the opposite sense like Danni and Derek, maybe there is a regular guy who finds her attractive and won't feel intimidated.

Well have a wonderful week. Waiting patiently for the next chapter while we dry out here in Central Florida. There is still more wind and rain for us here.

Rachel

Interesting...

... I've been thinking about how to react to this chapter. And, other than to say, "when's the next one ready?" I'm still not sure. It's nice to see folks talking, and time moving forward, but in many ways, this chapter "felt" like it was a glue chapter - important, but only in that it provides context for the event filled chapters that surround it. Of course, I could be way off here and maybe I was too tired when I read it (but, when I saw it, I HAD to read it.. Nope, no going to sleep before it's been read.).

I'm still wondering what will happen on Parent's weekend... That should be "interesting" long before School Starting issues have to be delt with.

Thanks,
Annette

Congratulations

sonai67's picture

Greetings Anistasia;

Well now, I think a bit of Congratulations is deserved here... Excelent work, and Congratualtions for First Place in the voting for the Summer Romance Contest.

Excelent chapter, with the follow up on both the head injury, and working on Samantha and Erik/a's relationship. I wonder just which cabin set up the prank with the flour and will they be caught?

Will Eric/a be having a relationship still after camp, or will Samantha just keep her as a sister? We will have to wait and see...

Very well written, Anistasia, trying to be patient for the next chapter, isn't easy, since you write an encaptuering tale.... My patience is getting a very good work out waiting for the next chapter though... lol.... Greatfully looking forward to the next posting...

Your Fan

Sonai67

Sonai67

Camp Komoni

Yes, Sam and Erika are speaking, but does Sam see Erika s a girlfriend? Will she become Erik's girlfriend? And will Victoria help Erik? Who will return from Camp Kumoni? Erik or Erika?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Sam

It’s good to see that Sam and Erika made up

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

reconciliation

good!

DogSig.png