Camp Kumoni : 39

Printer-friendly version
Camp Kumoni Ch. 39

by Anistasia Allread
Assisted and proofed by Nick B

She stopped just outside the door, “I’ve got to get back to the cabin. What would you like me to tell your cabin mates?”

Erika joined Rachel and Phoenix in looking to Samantha for a response.

“I don’t know,” she said. “Tell them whatever.”

    

Eric’s heart raced; his stomach felt like million butterflies were fluttering in it. A charge of electricity raced through his body like a heard of buffalo stampeding through his arteries. Suddenly his gaffe felt very uncomfortable. Everything he had hoped for in coming to camp, had come to fruition in this one emotionally charged moment. Samantha was in his arms, kissing him. Everything was worth it. the dressing like a girl, the date with the guy, the turmoil with Victoria and the other girls in the cabin. Everything was worth this moment with his love, his Samantha wrapped in his arms kissing him.

If he died this afternoon, he’d die a happy person, for he had his heart’s desire. He’d tasted his Samantha.

After what seemed like an eternity, their lips slowly separated. Eric could still feel the ghost of Samantha’s lips against his, yet they mourned the loss.

“I love you, Samantha.” Erika opened her eyes to meet those of Summer’s sister. “I have always loved you.”

Samantha wrapped her arms around Erika’s neck and hugged her fiercely. Erika hugged her back, not wanting to let go. She mentally absorbed everything around her to cherish for all time. The feel of Samantha’s arms around her neck, her long golden tresses lightly tickling her cheek, the wonderful aroma of Samantha’s lavender body wash inter mixed with the earthy smell of the surrounding woods. She could taste the remnants her life’s desires soft lips. Erika drank it all in, like a camel drink at an oasis, storing it all away for later reflection.

“I know you may not love me, but I needed to tell you how I felt.” Erika whispered.

“No wonder my sister was so fond of you.” Erika could feel Samantha’s voice reverberating through her body. “You are so incredibly sweet; how can anyone not love you.” Samantha gave her another tight squeeze before pulling away. “You have no idea how much you mean to me this summer.” Once again, Erika’s heart fluttered into the sky as Samantha’s lips met hers.

Tears flowed from Erika’s eyes as Samantha pulled back.

“We need to be getting back. I’m sure Rachel is about to live up to her nickname, ‘Rage-al’.” Samantha slowly got to her feet then assisted Erika in rising.

The two walked down the path along which they came, towards camp. Samantha’s hand slipped into Erika’s and gave hers a squeeze.


“Where have you two been?” Rachel snarled at them as they re-entered camp.

“We had to take care of some overdue business.” Erika defended, feeling emboldened with Samantha’s hand in hers.

“We’re almost done with calisthenics.” Rachel gestured.

Samantha leaned forward, “Any word of . . .”

“Shhh. Don’t even make mention of it.” Rachel hissed. She looked around. “Not yet.”

As the three started to join the rest of the cabin doing crunches, a commotion started up at one end of the camp ground. The three girls in the know looked at one another, their faces anxious with how the rest of the day was going to play out.

Campers started jogging off to one side of the camp ground. The Columbine girls all looked bewildered. Erika hoped that she and Samantha looked as innocent and confused as the rest of the cabin. They all got up and began quickly making their way to join the other campers who were now spilling out of their cabins.

Just ahead the campers all grouped up together, laughing and pointing.

A guy doubled over laughing hysterically. “Oh my God, that’s fucking hilarious.”

Erika looked beyond the guy from Ash Cabin and through the throng of campers. In the middle of the laughing chaos stood Josh, his hands behind his back, duct taped, naked to a tree.

Red blotches of color stood out on his skin and closer inspection proved it to be red lipstick. Written across his forehead and across other body parts in that scarlet hue were the words: “Rapist!”, “Not 2 B trusted”, “Sexual Pred8r”, “Grls B-ware!”

The jock’s genital region was covered with a silver layer of duct tape. Even bound in this way, the wet dirt at his feet showed that he had lost control of his bladder, or couldn’t hold it any longer over the course of the night. Josh’s eyes stared unseeingly at a spot on the ground ten feet in front of him. He gave no indication that he noticed the hecklers around him.

A counselor pushed his way through the crowd and turned towards everyone. “Get out of here!” he yelled. “Go on and go back to whatever you’re supposed to be doing!” He planted his feet in the ground in front of Josh blocking the view for a majority of the group, placed his hands on his hips and bellowed. “Now!”

The campers went silent and began turning away casting glances back towards the sight.

Although she felt that Josh deserved what he got, Erika’s heart cringed at the sight playing out before her eyes; flashbacks of an almost identical incident, but from a different point of view. A shiver ran down her spine.

“He gives me the creeps now too.” Samantha mistook the reaction. She squeezed Erika’s hand. “Thank you . . . hero.”

“Did you see that?” Rachel snickered from behind them. “He pissed himself.”

Erika’s heart felt heavy.

“I wouldn’t want to be there when they rip that duct tape off his hairy balls,” Samantha stated with a dead voice.

Erika’s heart sank even more. Eric had been there, been the one staring blindly at a spot on the ground, listening to the taunts, the name calling, the laughing. It was something that he never wanted to feel again. Yet seeing Josh in that position . . . no matter how much he deserved it or even worse, it was horrible.

“Before I forget . . .” Samantha turned towards Rachel. “These are for you.” She handed their collaborator two of the lavender wrist bands.

“Cool.” Rachel thanked her.

“Alright girls, settle down. Let’s get back to the cabin and clean up,” Phoenix directed.

The girls talked in animated tones as they made their way back to their cabin.

“Rachel, Samantha and Erika, I need to speak with you.” Phoenix looked at each one in turn. “The rest of you go on ahead.”

The redheaded counselor waited until the others were in the cabin before turning on the three. “Please tell me that you had nothing to do with that.” She pointed in the direction from which they’d come.

Erika felt horrible. She looked at the ground, not wanting to meet anyone’s eyes at the moment.

“What?!” Rachel exclaimed. “You can’t possibly think we did that?”

“With you three, I can’t begin to know what you are capable of,” Phoenix admitted.

Erika looked up and met Phoenix’s gaze and quickly looked away.

“Oh my God! You are!” Phoenix exclaimed. “Why would you do such a thing? You heard what Director Hobbs said about pranks and punishment.”

“It wasn’t a prank!” Erika shut her down. “He was trying to rape Samantha!” Her heart was pounding in her head. A silence fell between them. Even the mundane sounds of the camp seemed quiet.

“He what?” Phoenix finally broke the silence.

“He was trying to rape Samantha,” Erika continued to stare the counselor down. “I just happened to be walking nearby and heard the commotion. He was holding her down and trying to rape her.”

“Erika and Rachel saved me from that . . . that piece of shit,” Samantha inserted.

Phoenix broke the test of wills with Erika and looked each of the others in the eyes. “Why in the world didn’t you come and tell me?” she asked. “This is serious.”

“You don’t know Josh’s history.” It was Rachel’s turn.

“I don’t care about his history. Taking this into your own hands was NOT the answer.”

“I will NOT let him get away with rape again.” Rachel swore between clenched teeth.

“What are you talking about?” Phoenix inquired of Rachel.

Rachel quickly briefed the counselor on Josh’s activities the previous summer and how his father bailed him out by gifting the camp a large amount of money. As she detailed the events, Phoenix’s face became more and more red, contrasting with her copper hair.

“What exactly happened last night? Before you three became judge and jury.”

The three took turns explaining the turn of events up to the point when Rachel knocked Josh over the head with the oar.

“Come on,” Phoenix ordered. “We’re going to Director Hobbs.”

Erika exchanged frightened looks with Samantha. She squeezed the blonde’s hand. “We’ll get through this,” she whispered as they trudged after Phoenix.


“Not now!” Director Hobbs exploded at the redhead. “I have a major crisis to deal with right now.”

Erika stood with Rachel and Samantha outside the office but could hear everything as clearly as if they were in the room.

The smell of smoke hung in the air. Erika looked across the lake and saw that the smoke was hugging the tree tops instead of rising off into the atmosphere. The smell of the forest fire added to her feeling of impending doom.

“I know.” Phoenix took a deep breath. “I have the ones who did it.”

“You have what?” Director Hobbs yelled.

“I have the ones who did that to the Josh kid,” Phoenix re-stated more meekly. “But you need to hear them out.”

“I’ll be kicking them out,” Director Hobbs growled. “Where are the delinquents?”

Phoenix turned and slammed the office door shut. “Not until you hear me out!” she stated, raising her voice.

Erika and the other two exchanged looks of astonishment.

“. . . saying . . . girls . . . was right . . . good reason . . .” Erika could only hear every couple of words coming out of Phoenix’s mouth.

“. . . Josh . . . a history . . . National papers . . . hear . . . side . . . the story.”

The room became very quiet. Erika heard Samantha let out a held breath, then realized she was holding hers, trying to eavesdrop.

Time seemed to crawl by as they stood outside the office. A few people entered and exited the door, but nothing more could be heard.

At long last the door opened and Phoenix beckoned for them to enter. “Just tell her the truth,” she encouraged.

The three girls stood in a line in front of Director Hobbs desk.

Director Hobbs was cordial, but her voice was as cold as ice. “All right girls, tell me what happened last night.”

Samantha began with describing the date she and Josh were on. How they sat on the lake shore kissing and then Josh wanted more. She told the director about her refusing to go beyond kissing and how Josh became insistent. How he pushed her and held her down. She was nearly in tears again when Erika decided to take over.

Erika told her of hearing a call for help and investigating it; of finding Josh on top of Samantha pinning her beneath him as she struggled; of how she attacked Josh and his turning on her. The exchange of punches including the punch that knocked Samantha out.

Erika looked to Rachel who took her cue and described how she too heard cries for help and came upon Josh punching Samantha, then pouncing on Erika. She even included her striking Josh over the head with the oar to subdue him.

Director Hobbs looked at the girls not knowing whether or not to believe them. “Do you have any proof of this?” she inquired.

Erika grabbed a box of Kleenex off of the director’s desk and handed them to Samantha, who was shaking, having to re-live the horrible experience again.

While Samantha began to gently remove the makeup from her face, Erika pulled back her dark hair and showed the director the bruising she had acquired in the struggle.

Director Hobbs stood up and came around the desk and looked more closely at Erika’s contusion, gently poking at it and seeing how far behind her hairline it went. She then turned to Samantha, who turned her face to display the dark mark that she had received.

The Director gently poked at her bruise as well.

“Show her your wrists,” Rachel instructed.

Samantha un-wrapped the lavender cloth from her wrists and held them up for the Director to poke at. Director Hobbs only looked at the sore wrists and shook her head as she returned to her chair.

She sat and looked at her hands which were folded neatly on the desk for a long time. She looked up and took the three in with her gaze. “Why didn’t you come immediately to me?”

“Because of his past history,” Rachel said, defending their actions. “I swore an oath to myself that I’d never let anyone get away with doing that to another friend of mine–ever again.”

“What is this past history that I keep hearing of?” Hobbs inquired. “I don’t see it in his file.”

“I’m not surprised.” Rachel scoffed. “His daddy paid the last Director quite handsomely last year to keep what happened quiet. You can call my friend’s parents if you’d like. Of course they’ll be unhappy that that bastard is at it again.”

“Did you have to superglue his butt cheeks together?” Director Hobbs sighed.

Rachel tried hard not to snicker.

“You three stay here.” Hobbs instructed. “I’m going to go have a talk with Josh.”

Director Hobbs left the office and closed the door behind her. “Don’t let them leave.” she instructed someone outside the cabin.

“I can’t believe she’s going to go listen to that bastard’s lies.” Rachel swore.

Samantha was shaking again. Her lips trembled as she looked blankly at the wall.

“Here, Samantha, sit down.” Erika eased her into a chair. “It’ll be alright.” She looked up to Rachel. “Why didn’t you call the cops last year when this happened?”

“Because I didn’t know what had happened until a week later.” Rachel growled. “My friend withdrew and became depressed. She didn’t tell anyone what had happened until much later. By that time there was no evidence and the Director cited that it was her word against Josh’s.”

Erika fell silent. She knew very well what happened when someone accused another of a misdeed without proof to back them up. Whenever Eric was picked on in school, it was always his word against the other’s. It was worse when a group of tormentors made alibis for one another or stuck to a prearranged story against his.

Director Hobbs reentered the office and glared at each of the girls. “He won’t say anything.”

“Of course not,” Rachel snapped. “Anything he says will admit his guilt.”

“Samantha,” said Hobbs ignoring Rachel. She looked at the ashen girl sitting in the chair. “I want you to go see the nurse; you too Erika. I’ll be down there in a few minutes.” She dismissed them.

The three girls exited the office to find Phoenix sitting on a bench, her face filled with concern. She stood up and looked at each of the girls. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah.” Rachel clipped.

“We’re to go see the nurse.” Erika explained.

Phoenix walked with them across the courtyard to the Infirmary. She stopped just outside the door, “I’ve got to get back to the cabin. What would you like me to tell your cabin mates?”

Erika joined Rachel and Phoenix in looking to Samantha for a response.

“I don’t know,” she said. “Tell them whatever.”


The three girls sat in one of the exam rooms. The camp nurse looked at each of their bruises and gave Samantha some aspirin. “It will help with your jaw pain as well as some of your swelling.” She took out three clipboards with paper and handed one to each of the girls along with a pen. “We need you to each write what happened last night in your own words. Director Hobbs will be in shortly.”

Erika, grateful that the examination didn’t go any farther than looking at her bruise, accepted the task and began writing.

Half an hour later, the three girls continued to sit in the exam room waiting for Director Hobbs’ visit.

Instead of the Director entering the little room, it was the nurse again. “How’s your head, honey?” she asked Samantha.

“Better, thank you.”

“Would you like to call your parents?” she inquired.

“No.” Samantha shook her head. “I’m alright.” She squeezed Erika’s hand.

The nurse collected the written reports from the girls and left them alone again.

Ten minutes later, Phoenix opened the door. “Come with me girls.”

They followed her back out of the infirmary and back to Director Hobbs office. The three stood in front of her desk again. This time Phoenix stood next to them.

“You are damned lucky you didn’t kill him.” Director Hobbs started off. “He has a mild concussion from your swing to his head, but it was extremely dumb and dangerous to not seek out a counselor or myself to deal with this. He could have died last night.”

Erika swallowed hard.

“I’m sorry for what happened to you.” She looked with sympathy at Samantha, “But your actions were out of line.” Her gaze went to Rachel and Erika. “Your cabin is going to town to see a movie, correct?” She looked to Phoenix who nodded. “You three will not be going. You will have kitchen duty after dinner for the rest of the week and you will be working for me during your ‘free time’ next week as well”

Rachel bit her lip to keep from blurting anything out.

Erika just nodded her head in acceptance.

“Phoenix, can you please escort these two girls to breakfast? I would like to speak to Samantha alone.”

Erika gave Samantha’s hand a reassuring squeeze and followed Phoenix out of the office.

The mess hall was noisy with people speculating about Josh’s predicament and who had done it. As soon as Phoenix led Rachel and Erika into the mess, the noise ceased. Everyone stared and pointed at her and Rachel as they made their way up to their table.

“Where’s Samantha?” Dani inquired.

“Director Hobbs is talking to her.” Erika took a seat next to Tricia.

“How are you doing?” Tricia questioned.

“I’m fine. I’m just an emotional wreck.” Erika confided.

“I don’t doubt it.”

“So what happened?” Victoria blurted out. “We’re hearing all kinds of rumors but they are just that.”

Katie handed Rachel and Erika each a plate of scrambled eggs, bacon and toast. “We figured you’d need to eat when you got here.”

Erika and Rachel took turns explaining for the umpteenth time, the events of the previous night.

“That slime ball!” Katie exclaimed “My brothers would have taken him out and castrated him with a quick stroke of their hunting knives.”

“He’s getting off easy.” Krystal agreed.

“I don’t know.” Tricia disagreed. “When I went to the bathroom a bit ago, I saw him being taken to a cop car in handcuffs.”

“Daddy might not be able to bail him out of this one?” Rachel raised an eyebrow full of hopeful optimism.

“That’s up to Samantha and Hobbs.” Krystal stated.

“What’s with the wrist thingies?” Dani touched the one on Rachel’s wrist.

Erika quickly explained to the table that Samantha’s wrists were bruised and that they were wearing the wrist bands in supporting her, as well as hiding the dark marks.

“Do you have any more?” Tricia inquired.

Erika pulled a wad of the cut fabric from her shorts and laid it on the table. All of the girls in the cabin reached for one and quickly helped one another wrap and secure them to their wrists.

The other tables started clearing out as they finished their morning meals. Derek made eye contact with Erika and gave her a smile full of concern. Erika smiled back and nodded her head, showing that she understood his thoughts.

Columbine was the only cabin left in the mess when Samantha was escorted in by Director Hobbs. The blonde looked like she had been crying. The director watched with concern as the cheerleader joined her cabin at the table.

“Are you hungry?” Katie asked.

Samantha shook her head no. She paused. “Yes, I am.” She managed a weak smile. She took a seat next to Erika and gave her leg a squeeze.

“What did Hobbs want?” Rachel asked. It was what was on everyone’s mind.

“She had me call my parents.” Samantha squeaked. “They are driving up tomorrow.”

“They aren’t taking you home are they?” Erika’s heart pounded.

“They said they will decide once they get here.”

“Shit!” Erika swore.

“I don’t want to think about it.” Samantha said around a bite of bacon.

“Victoria, what’s on our agenda today?” Rachel looked to the Latina.

“I didn’t look this morning.” The studious girl admitted. “I was too busy speculating about what was going on with all of you.”

“Come on girls. We need to get over to the stables.” Phoenix greeted them from the door.

“Stables?” Erika questioned.

“Trail ride.” Victoria got up from the table.

“I so need a shower after that.” Erika looked down at her bare legs. Not only that, but she needed to shave the incoming stubble.

“Damn, you sound like a girl.” Victoria retorted.

“I thought that was the point?”

“Shhh. Not in front of Tricia.” Katie hissed under her breath to Victoria.

“She already knows.” Erika sighed aloud as she joined the group on their trek to the stables.

Upon reaching the stables, Erika made an excuse to use the bathroom. While in the stall, she removed her gaffe. She joined the others as they were mounting up for their morning ride. She quickly slapped her helmet on and swung up into the saddle. Feeling her genitals free from their bonds was an alien feeling. Feeling them rub against the saddle was a little disquieting.

Even through the yellowish-brown smoke hung in the air, the day was nice. The trail they were riding had some wind damage. Most of which they simply rode around.

Erika dropped the reins to the saddle horn and let her nag simply follow the other horses as they rode through the trees and sporadic clearings. The grassy clearings were tall with grass that wavered like waves on a windblown ocean. On closer inspection, she noticed wild daisies and irises fighting to make their way amongst the taller monocot.

“Will she be alright?” Dani asked riding up beside Erika in one of the clearings.

“Who?”

“Samantha. Do you think she will be okay? That happening to her is horrible. I’d imagine it could really screw with someone’s brain.

“She just needs time and love.” Erika reassured the blonde. “Oh, before I forget, Dani. I had an interesting talk with someone yesterday.”

“Oh?”

“It’s kind of funny, actually.” Erika chuckled.

Dani smiled at her trying to be patient.

“There’s this guy who I though liked me?” she went on. “I thought he was going to try and ask me out, but instead he asked me about you.”

“Me?”

“Yes, he thinks you are beautiful and wanted me to ask if you’d be interested in spending some time with him.”

“Probably a guy who wants to add a dwarf to his freak list.” Dani scowled.

“No. I don’t think so. He is genuinely interested in you.”

Dani looked bewildered. “Why would he be interested in me when there is someone like you around?”

“Maybe because I’m really a guy?” Erika whispered conspiratorially at Dani.

“Fooled me.” She smiled back and looked Erika up and down for a moment grinning. “I’m glad you are a girl this summer and in my cabin.”

“Thank you.” Erika smiled back. “I’m glad too.”

Dani studied her friend again. “You’ve changed,” she commented at last.

“What do you mean?” Erika looked confused.

“There is definitely something different about you.” Dani contemplated. “You are more confident than you were a few days ago.”

“Maybe that’s because I was hiding something a few days ago.”

“Perhaps,” Dani sighed unconvinced.

The trail entered another wooded area. This time instead of being lined with dead pine needles, the trail sloped upward and followed a small stream. The water of the stream seemed to immediately cool them off after being out in the warm sun of the meadow. It gurgled, laughed and rushed its way over and around moss dappled rocks.

The trail they were riding on came upon and crossed over a wooden bridge crossing the stream just below a small, trickling waterfall. Its spray, light and cooling was an unexpected refresher.

Twenty minutes later the horses emerged onto a large open rocky outcropping into the sun. The hot sun beat down through the smoky haze created by the forest fire and on the rocks, which reflected it back at the girls, warming their legs. The sounds of the birds in the trees, which were now behind them was replaced by the soft roar of a waterfall.

Erika watched as the girls started to dismount their horses and led them on foot along the broad hard granite. Erika dismounted and followed their example. Their guide led them to a shaded edge of a large pool of water. A waterfall threw a soft mist into the air catching the sun and creating a rainbow near the pool.

On the far side were two large maple trees. A thick rope was strung between their trunks. The guide led them to the rope and tied the reins off on the rope making sure that there was enough slack that the horse could reach the bucket of water on the ground nearby. One by one, the other girls of Columbine followed suit and joined the guide at the edge of the large pool.

Krystal said what everyone else was thinking. “This is so pretty.”

“And fun!” their guide broke the silent awe. While they were all admiring Mother Nature’s work of art, she apparently stripped out of her jeans and shoes. She ran into the water, kicking up a splash then dove under.

Rachel and Phoenix were right behind her then, one by one, the others joined in the cool frolic.

They splashed, giggled and took turns sitting under the cataract as it beat down on them from above.

Erika sat on a large rock, sunning herself at the water’s edge. Rachel, Dani and Katie were still in the water, having fun.

What a wonderful escape. A place where girls can get away from boys and commune with nature, Erika reflected.

“Come on, sleepy head.” Tricia splashed some cold water on her.

Erika snapped to wakefulness by cold spray and the realization that she had relaxed enough to fall asleep. Still wet, the girls mounted up and headed back to camp.

As they approached the camp, a loud noise intruded upon their silent journey. The noise grew louder and louder

“What is that!?” Katie called out to be heard over the racket.

“Helicopter!” Tricia answered.

A moment later a helicopter with a large container hanging under it emerged over the tree tops. Large splashes of water slopped over its edges breaking tree branches as it fell to hit the ground with a dull thud.

“The fire is getting worse.” Tricia explained trying to keep control of her horse who obviously didn’t like the racket.

They merged onto the trail that circled the lake. Erika looked out across the water, imagining what the helicopter had just done. A movement out of the corner of her eye caught her attention. It was the mother duck. Frightened by the ‘monster’ grabbing water, it was in along the shore. Little balls of yellow fluff dodged in around and under their mother. Erika searched for her friend the black duckling. Her heart fell when she couldn’t locate him among his siblings.

As they started to enter camp, the helicopter hovered back in. Their guide and the rest steered their horses to the lake front to watch as the helicopter hovered over the middle of the lake. A large bucket hung from large steel cables sank into the water then slowly the helicopter rose up into the air. The bucket, released from the confines of the lake swayed back and forth sloshing water again over its sides as helicopter climbed up over the tree tops and disappeared in the direction of the forest fire raging in the distance.

The girls pulled the saddles off of their mounts and began brushing them down.

“So who is it?” Dani asked.

“Who is what?” Erika blinked.

“The guy interested in me.”

“I thought he was some loser who wanted to add you to his ‘freak’ list.”

“You wouldn’t do that to me, would you?”

“No. He’s a really nice guy.” Erika smiled.

“Who?” Dani was almost jumping up in down with frustration.

“Derek.”

“Derek?” Dani made a puzzled face.

“The redheaded guy I was spending time with during the storm.”

“The comic book nerd?”

“Hey now. He’s a very nice guy.” Erika protested. She fixed Dani with a frown. “You really should give it a chance. Get to know him.”

Dani went back to brushing her horse.

“He really does like you.” Erika called after her.

“Who does?” Katie raised her head.

“Derek.” Erika stated.

Dani turned red at Erika sharing this information with the others.

“I think he’s kind of cute.” Katie stated.

“I’ll think about it.” Dani cut the conversation short.


The conversations at dinner were centered round two things: Josh leaving camp and the helicopter which spent the afternoon hovering over the lake and filling its bucket.

“What movie do we want to see tonight?” Katie asked over her second helping of spaghetti.

Rachel, Erika and Samantha exchanged looks.

“We can’t go.” Rachel informed the girls.

“Who can’t go?” Victoria asked.

“Us.” Rachel indicated Samantha and Erika along with herself.

“It’s part of our punishment for the Josh thing.” Erika spoke up. “You can tell us all about it tonight though.”

Dani looked disappointed. Katie stopped chewing on her spaghetti and looked like she was about to cry.

“Maybe Director Hobbs will change her mind.” Tricia smiled.

“What? Are you being sent to your bedroom for the night?” Krystal sneered.

“Worse.” Rachel sighed. “Kitchen duty. In fact, we should be going back there now.” She looked to her co-conspirators.

Erika pushed away from the table and waited for Samantha to join her.

Katie swallowed her bite, “For how long?”

“Dinner kitchen duty all this next week, and working during our ‘free time’.”

The three girls bid their friends a good night and entered the kitchen.

The head cook, Sheila, greeted them by handing them each an apron. “Good evening girls.”

“Hey Sheila.” Rachel greeted.

“It seems you can’t go through a summer without ‘helping’ me.” The cook chuckled. Her face turned serious as she leaned in closer. “I heard what you did. I think he deserved worse.”

Erika was a little taken aback–An Adult condoning violence.

“Sorry you three had to come here under these circumstances,” Sheila shrugged. “But we can always use the help.”

The head cook gave them a quick tour of the kitchen. The walk-in fridge, the massive pantry and the huge cook top and grill. “This is new this year. Rachel, you’ll appreciate it.” She winked. She showed them a stainless-steel counter with a lip that connected to a large stainless-steel box and a counter on the other side of it. “A dishwasher.”

“Oh thank God.” Rachel exclaimed. She turned to the other two. “Last year, we had to hand-wash all of the dishes. We were here all night.”

Sheila went through a list of chores; from washing the plates, pots and pans; wiping down all of the stainless with bleach water and mopping the floor, just to name a few.

“What about tomorrow, Sheila?” Rachel inquired. “It’s Fourth of July. Do we have clean up duty then too?”

“Of course, you do.” Sheila shook her head in disbelief. “My kitchen staff will appreciate the help. That way, they can enjoy the evening as well. Don’t worry it won’t be bad. We’ll be using paper plates. It will just be some pots and pans.” Sheila scanned the kitchen quickly. “Okay, Rachel you get the first shift at the dishwasher. You two,” she pointed to Erika and Samantha, “Go clear the tables. Pile the plates on that counter for Rachel, throw out the trash, and put the condiments in the walk-in.”

Before they could get started on their task, Dani–followed by the rest of the cabin, pushed through the doors carrying stacks of the dirty dishes. “They aren’t showing any good movies tonight,” she stated. “Where do you want these?”

“What are you talking about?” Rachel blurted out after a stunned silence. “They’re playing that romantic comedy that you’ve been talking about all afternoon.”

“We’d rather be here with you.” Katie smiled.

“Don’t look at me.” Phoenix shrugged. “I’m never included in the cabin decisions.”

“Put those over there,” Sheila pointed. “I’ll get you aprons. Spaghetti sauce stains horribly.”

Within a few minutes the mess hall was cleared of dirty dishes. Dani and Katie wiped down the tables and swept the floor. Victoria and Rachel scraped, and hosed down the dishes stacked them in the dishwasher racks and ran them through. Rachel and Samantha, wearing gloves so not to burn their hands on the still-hot dishes, stacked and put them away. Tricia and Erika worked in the large sink scrubbing the large pots.

Director Hobbs entered the back door and looked around. “We’re leaving for the movie in just a few minutes, girls. Come on lets go.”

“They decided to stay and help out their cabin mates.” Phoenix said wiping an arm across her head from scrubbing the cook top.

“But it’s the movie for winning the point contest for the first week.”

“See if Daisy or Azalea cabin want to go.” Tricia smiled from her place at the sink.

Bewildered, Director Hobbs turned and walked out the door.

“You girls are doing great,” Sheila encouraged. “I’m going to leave you alone in your work. I need to take a shower. Rachel, come and get me to look it over before you all go to bed.”

“Okay Sheila.” Rachel nodded.

“Okay, that floor is done.” Katie and Dani emerged from the hall. “Shall we start on the floor in here?”

“Sure.” Rachel smiled. “Pick up all these rubber mats and take them out back. There are two hooks on the wall. You hang them there and hose them off.”

“I’ll get the mats. If you want to hose them” Katie said. “They’re pretty heavy.”

“Cook top is done.” Phoenix panted. “I’ll start on the walk-in.” The redhead disappeared into the large fridge.

Erika dumped the water out of her pot and took it over to the washing station to run it through the dishwasher. She turned to go back to work on another pot when she felt a hot spray of water on her back. She screeched and turned around to see Rachel holding the water nozzle pointing at her with a big grin on her face. She squeezed the lever again and sent another spray across the distance. Erika dodged out of the way and grabbed the hanging water nozzle above the sink and shot back hitting Victoria in the back. She shrieked a grabbed for a soaking pan and threw the water at Tricia and Erika.

Seconds later, water was being sprayed and thrown across the kitchen soaking each other as the girls laughed and squealed. Samantha rushed Erika and the nozzle as she sprayed the cheerleader. Rachel took advantage and began spraying the two as they began wrestling for control of the impromptu water weapon.

Dani pulled the hose inside and began spraying Rachel from the doorway. Phoenix poked her head out and ducked inside to avoid flying water thrown by Victoria. She poked her head back out laughing and sticking her tongue out tauntingly at the school reporter.

Laughing aloud, Erika was bent over backwards as Samantha pressed against her giggling. Both of their hands fought for control of the water nozzle as it sprayed down on them. Samantha suddenly leaned forward and pressed her lips against Erika’s. Erika’s hands slipped off the nozzle in surprise. Samantha’s arms lowered from the nozzle and wrapped around Erika’s neck as she deepened the kiss. Her tongue slowly flicked against Erika’s lips seeking entry. Erika obliged her hands falling to Samantha’s waist.

The kitchen became deathly silent as the girls of Columbine cabin stared on in disbelief.


To be continued . . .

All comments gratefully received, but remember, this IS fiction . . .

up
221 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

wow hot

HOTand not just the firemybe this time things will work out and every one will finly get what is comeing to tham .have a good one love awalys [email protected]

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

Well, I Am Glad To See That The Girls Are Supporting

The three musketeers. But for them to be punished for what they did is a shame. I just hope that they can accept Erika ans Samantha. I am sure that when they here the story that they will.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Thet needed to be punished...

The girls needed to be punished. They were lucky not to be arrested. I am not saying the boy didn't need to be arrested, but the girls were after retribution. So much could have gone wrong. If the boy had died at the scene where he got hit on the head it would have been justifiable homicide. If he had died in the camp it would have at minimum been voluntary manslaughter, or maybe, given that Erika was crossdressing which would anger many righteous people, second degree murder. They could still face aggravated assault charges for what they did after they got him back to camp.

Love,

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Wow, great episode

So Josh was taken away. No hiding it this time. Seems like the director has some backbone too. Of course I worry about that backbone...what would she do if she found that she had a boy in with the girls.

I appreciated Eric's inherent goodness where even feeling about Josh has he does, and knowing what Josh did, he still has some sympathy for his predicament, having been there himself.

I too object to the girls being punished but of course, they did take things into their own hands instead of going to the staff. Guess that is actually a good reason for punishment. Not sure why Samantha should be punished. She had nothing to do with Josh's situation beside being his victim.

Ahhh...... the kiss at the end. At this point all the girls know about Erica, right? So do they object to a girl having her love interest in her cabin? Do they support the sweet, happy (for now) couple? Do they get shocked over what looks like a lesbian affair? Guess we find out next week. Whatever the reaction, I like seeing Samantha and Eric/a together. Worry about how Eric feels when Samantha gets distracted by her next hunk.

Woody

Pheonix doesn't know about Erica yet. She is the only one from the cabin. I am sure it is because she is the leader of the cabin and could cause serious problems. However, Erica has dirt on Pheonix too, so she can use it if she needs too to keep Pheonix from spilling the beans.

I think Pheonix is going to be asking a few questions of Erica and Samantha after that kiss, since she is there in the moment watching it.

Hope it doesn't get them into trouble.

Speaking of trouble, I am sure the mess they made in the kitchen with water may very well get them into trouble. So much for having fun.

Great chapter, I do so hope Jash gets his this time. He should not have been allowed back to this camp because of what happened the previous year.

I hope the former director gets theirs too; when it comes out that this is the second occurance for Josh.

No Mess In The Mess

Commercial and institutional kitchens have floor drains. They're designed to be scrubbed and hosed down. Standard cleaning tools for that kind of kitchen include a floor squeegee, which properly used makes quick work of any puddles and large drops and leaves the floor almost dry.

Now, if they'd been throwing cream pies, that would be more of a problem. But, then this would be a Three Stooges movie and not an exciting, but tender and sweet, girls-at-camp story.

Hot and Steamy!!!

Oh go take a shower girls. No let's use the spray on them to cool them off!!! Water fight!!! The kitchen needs to be cleaned up again!!!

Hello Anastasia!!! ^___^ ;-D

Even though Josh deserved worse, it was enough to get his attention as well as his dad. Hopefully not to be seen again. I wonder what his cabin mates think about this or the rest of the camp?

The fire is getting closer?!?! Oh no!! Please let the firefighters get control of this fire soon. I would hate to see Summer Camp end too soon. Everything is going lovely for once. Hopefully the Camp Director is in contact with the fire fighters to know what the situation is.

Here comes the parents. Hopefully Samantha, Erica and the rest of Columbine convince the truth to the parents. Plus in the telling of the story about Summer. That will be a tear jerker for sure. You better have the camp counselour nearby for this one.

Well have a wonderful week. The weekend is upon us. Waiting patiently for the next chapter. Hopefully it does not get too steamy in the kitchen!! Everybody is going to need a shower after this one!!! giggle...

Rachel

Parents

The parents know Eric, what is gooing to happen when they see her/him? This can be a disaster in the making. Erica may be outed after this happens and what will happen to him/her?

That Hobbs is really something, she makes no comment about the whole cabin turning out for the punishment duty. What a jerk she is. I wonder what she would have done, if she had been raped by Josh?

I understand the need for some dicipline but I think the punishment is a bit harsh and unfair. Especially with the trauma thay all suffered they should be given the punishment later, right now they should have been talking with trauma intervention people.

Waiting to see what will happen when the parents arrive and they see Erica, will they recognise her, or will the girls make her beautiful so they think she is just another girl?

Good possibilities Joni

Hello Joni!!! ^___^ ;-D

Those are good possibilities. If the parents recognise Erica, it is all over. But the girls can make her more beautiful. Besides Samantha knows the whole story now. Of course if 'Eric' is mentioned. Do the parents know that 'Eric' went to summer camp? Of course if the parents demand to see 'Eric' that is another problem to figure out. Samantha will have to be firm and strong with the other girls present around her for support as she talks with her parents. And/or 'Eric' can make a cameo for a few minutes with the makeup removed. The hair can be wet and combed back, but that will reveal the bruise on Eric's head. Maybe he can wear a baseball cap to hide it. If the Director, the nurse or the camp counselor are there. Will they recognise 'Eric' as Erica? Decisions, decisions...What will Anastasia do to solve this quandry?

Have a wonderful week. We are waiting patiently for the next chapter to remove this cliff hanger feeling over the weekend.

Rachel

new hope for the wretched

laika's picture

Can this be love? Could Eric/Erica---this damned soul, this plague---actually be so lucky? Or after things settle down a bit will there end up being a "yes, but-" on Samantha's part, the heartbreak of: "Let's just be friends"? It would be incredibly sweet---a triumph of things Too Good To Be True---if at this series' conclusion (after a sufficient amount of drama to keep it interesting) they ended up a couple, either as boyfriend and girlfriend, female lovers, or---in the manner of pioneers---BOTH...

A meaty chapter with a lot going on. Columbine's modest punishment satisfied the authorities that they weren't letting the girls' vigilatism go totally unchallenged; but I think after seeing Samantha's injuries and hearing their consistant testimonies they were probably secretly approving. Less than what the motherf***er deserved, but not enough to complicate things for the camp. I'd love to see Josh's parents not automatically side with him & try to sue, but with the mounting evidence against him see him for the evil swine he is!!!
~~~hugs, Laika

Don't sugar coat it Laika

Just tell us what you really mean.

I think he got off lightly too.

:)

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Disbelief?

I'm wondering what's causing the disbelief. Many of the girls know about Erika's crush on Samantha, and how it was Samantha who brought Erika to camp in the first place.

Perhaps it's the degree of passion, and Samantha's sudden romantic interest in Erika? Or, perhaps it's just the unselfconsciousness of the couple?

Anyway, no disbelief on my side here. Just warm smiles.

My guess

My guess would be that the disbelieve is about how Samantha suddenly seems to respond to that crush after so long being blind to it. And there's of course the shock of seeing them act like this "in public" knowing there's a good chance they'll be making targets of themselves.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

You go girl

Oh this was so meaty and meaningful; no fooling around here. It is so warm and fuzzy!

It appears that Erica/Eric and Samantha won't be spending the summer together. You know those teen age hormones. It wouldn't be right; much too tempting for such wholesome youth; they just wouldn't be able to resist such a temptation.

On the other hand, do you think the other girls in the cabin can chaperone these two? It is doubtful that teens that age would have the emotional maturity; but who knows? This is after all a "story"; the writer is in command here!

I think that one can also bet that Samantha is not on the pill, and Eric(a) did not bring condoms! giggle!

Gwen

camp kumoni

i have really enjoyed you story ( camp kumoni) i have read all you chapter's to it, and look out for the next chapter when it is posted, please keep up with your wonderful story

sincerly, jennifer

But...but....but...

Frank's picture

WHERE'S DAFFY?????????????????????????????

HUGGLES!!!!

Alexis

Hugs

Frank

No surprise

Yes, they had to be punished, but they are getting off lightly. That sort of kitchen duty was standard at the scout camp I went to when a kid, and everybody took their turn.

What surprises me are two things. First, that Director Hobbs is surprised that the girl's cabin mates stayed to help. The one consistant thing I've seen in this camp is the way they promote cabin unity among the kids. None the less it was a heartwarming thing to see.

The other is the other girl's disbelief at Samantha and Erika kissing. They knew that Erika fancied Samantha, and that Erika had rushed in to save Samantha from Josh. That many (all?) of them know Erika is actually Eric would only make things more "natural". They are young, and while this may turn out to be a case of first love, from this point on they will share a special bond. They are tied together through Summer, and now through their hearts.

Wonderful chapter!

Karen J.

* * * * * * * *
Change We Can Believe In - Barack Obama

The change, it had to come,
We knew it all along
~~~~~~~
Meet the new boss,
Same as the old boss

Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Nice Fiction too.

I found it this morning, but couldn't read it until tonight... I must say wondering how things would go all day was a tad distracting. (Okay, I only thought about it a couple times. But I actually did think about it.)

This was a fun episode. I do wonder how long it'll be before Phoenix finally gets let in on things...

Thanks,

Annette

Fun series

I have followed this series from the first posting to date. It is very entertaining. The characters seem so real. I can feel their hurts and their fears.
Finishing off the KP session with a water fight is a classic; and it caused a break in Samantha's depression cycle. The kiss at the end has me amazed.
How long before the director realizes she is punishing the wrong people?

And the fire menacingly closes in. I can see that disaster racing around the woods to ruin the rest of the camp.

Good job!! Thank you.

Doing it Well

sonai67's picture

Greetings Anistasia,

Your very usfull way of getting the word out that the bum who tryed to rape Samantha, and hurt Erica, was to my way of thinking very mild to some of the things I would think of... but very good choice...

I also feel that for Erica to feel guilty of doing something like what happened to her was well thought out and put into this story, to show that she is not mean or vengfull either. and the way that Samantha has accepted Erica, is to say very, very much a good thing. Keep up the good work you are doing with this story, as I, and the rest of your fans, eagerly await for the next chapter....

Kindest Regards

Sonai67

Sonai67

Awesome story!

I wish I could write like that! I was addicted -- read it from start to finish!

Hugs,
Lisa

Hmmm :)

Hmmm :)

Thirty eight

awh..Sorry. Thirty nine

.......................................AND

..................................................Waiting once more

:)
Yoron

Ps:

...Countdown initiated...

Samantha

I guess she has feelings for Erika too

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

a public kiss

I dont think the girls will say much bad, though ...

DogSig.png