Camp Kumoni : 46

Printer-friendly version


”You have beautiful hair, Erika. I’m sure you hear that all of the time though.” The nurse commented.

Samantha worked to control a grin.

“Only lately has anyone noticed.” Erika glared at Samantha.

Camp Kumoni
By Anistasia Allread
Edited by Alexis
     
sunlitforest.jpg

Camp Kumoni 46
“Damn!” she cursed.

The inside of the cabin was a mess. Toilet paper was strewn everywhere. In the middle of the mess stood twelve empty toilet paper rolls, and four silly string cans. On the wall over Tricia’s bed was the word OAK in silly string.

Erika stepped back out the door and began shaking the flour off her head. She carefully ran her fingers through her hair to help rid her tresses of the powder.

She sat down on the step wanting to cry. Visions of ‘the plague’ sprang up in her mind; images of being tripped in the lunch room, a full tray spilling across the floor. Memories of laughing, lots of laughing. Being pointed out as the stupid, clumsy kid. Walking through the halls of school, others laughing and pointing as he passed, only to later find derogatory notes on the back of his clothes. After school, finding his bike, his transportation home, taken apart and left in pieces.

Erika put her head in her hands and tried to block out the past. ‘The Plague’ is past. Eric didn’t exist here. ‘The Plague’ didn’t exist here at camp. Only a pretty girl, named Erika.

“Oh my God,” Samantha exclaimed! “Erika, are you alright?” Her footsteps quickened. She plopped down next to Erika and took her in her arms. “What happened?”

“Flour bomb.” Erika was too tired to cry. “The cabin was hit. It’s a total mess.”

“I heard you were back. What happened at the hospital?”

“Seven stitches, back here.” She lightly cupped the back of her white dusted head.

“Anything else?”

“No. Well, except for almost getting ratted out. I need to figure a way to get into Hobbs office this afternoon and change information in my file.” She looked up at Samantha, the ribbons in her hair fluttered in a slight breeze. “I came to change into some clothes, but I. . . I just can’t deal with this right now.” She nodded towards the cabin.

“You stay here; I’ll get what you want.” Samantha offered. She stood up and started into the cabin, then turned back to Erika “What do you want?”

“Just a pair of shorts, underwear, and a T-shirt.”

“Bra?”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“I’ll grab a towel and we can go down to the showers so that you can get that crap out of your hair.”

“I can’t.” Erika sighed heavily. “First off, I can’t get my stitches wet for a week. Second is that if I get the flour wet, it will turn to paste in my hair.”

“That sucks. We’ve got to go tell Hobbs.”

“I’m done with Hobbs for the day. She almost found out twice about our secret. I just want to get into some comfy clothes and relax.”

“Shit, this cabin is a mess.” Samantha exclaimed from the doorway. “This is going to take forever to clean up.”

“I know.” Erika muttered to herself, remembering Eric’s locker that had been caked with silly string. It took forever to clean not only the locker but all of the books, papers and clothing that it contained.

“They flour bombed our beds too.” Samantha called in disgust. “Here you are she came out of the cabin. Bits of toilet paper and silly string clung to her body.

“Let’s go see the nurse, first.” Erika suggested. “Maybe she’ll have an idea.”

Samantha hugged the clothes to her chest with one hand and wrapped her other arm around Erika’s waist, guiding her down the trail.

“I heard you were back.” Tricia ran up with a smile. “I’m so sorry, Erika. I should have never enticed you into a diving competition. Are you alright? Why are you covered in white powder?”

“She was flour bombed when she walked into the cabin.” Samantha explained.

“Flour bombed? Seriously?”

“The cabin is a wreck.” Samantha elaborated. “Toilet papered and silly stringed. Our beds are flour bombed too.”

“Are you all right?” Tricia’s voice was filled with concern.

“I think so.” Erika shrugged.

“Where are you heading now?” Tricia inquired.

“To ask the nurse if there is a way to get this flour out of her hair.” Samantha looked at Tricia, worry written all over her face. “She isn’t allowed to wash her hair until her stitches come out.”

“You got stitches? How many?” Tricia sounded hurt.

“Seven.” Erika stated.

“Tricia, could you tell the rest of the Columbine that our cabin was hit?”

“Sure.” Tricia turned to walk down the trail.

“See what Rachel wants to do? Whether we retaliate or bring Hobbs in on it?” Samantha asked her.

Tricia nodded as she went in search of her new cabin mates

* * *

“What happened to you?” the nurse exclaimed seeing the dust covered Erika.

“Flour bomb,” Samantha explained.

“Is there a way to get this flour out of my hair?” Erika asked the nurse. “The nurse in the ER said not to wash my hair.”

“Where did this happen?” The nurse ushered the two girls into the office.

“I just came back from the ER with Director Hobbs and decided to change into something more comfortable.” Erika explained. “All I did was open the door to the cabin and I was hit in the head by a bunch of flour.”

The nurse had Erika sit down in a chair. “Let me see what they did to you at the hospital.” She gently and carefully inspected the sutures on the back of Erika’s head. “I’ll be right back.” The nurse stepped out of the office.

“She isn’t going to talk to Hobbs, is she?” Erika wondered.

“I don’t know.” Samantha tried to soothe her friend. “I hope not.”

The nurse was back before they knew it and held out a soft bristled brush. “I’m going to carefully brush your hair.” She came around behind Erika. “This will help get most of the flour out. Then I’m going to send you down to the showers.”

“But I was told not to wash my hair.” Erika protested.

“Well, they didn’t foresee you getting flour dumped on your head.” The nurse pulled the brush through her hair. “Shampoo and conditioner are chemicals that could weaken the stitches. A little bit of water, this once, won’t do much.”

The white powdery flour was pulled from her hair and lightly fell to the floor. “You have beautiful hair, Erika. I’m sure you hear that all of the time though.” The nurse commented.

Samantha worked to control a grin.

“Only lately has anyone noticed.” Erika glared at Samantha.

“Okay, I’ve gotten most of it out.” The nurse smiled. “Now it won’t turn to glue when you rinse it.” She turned to Samantha. “Could you take her to the showers and help her? Be very careful of these stitches though.”

“Uh, sure,” Samantha agreed.

“I want to put some ointment on that after your shower.” The nurse instructed.

The two girls walked out of the infirmary and towards the showers.

“Tricia said that the cabin got hit.” Rachel and Krystal met them on the trail. “How bad?”

“It’s a mess but we should be able to get it clean.” Samantha explained. “It’s mostly toilet paper and silly string. Erika got the brunt of it when she opened the front door; a flour bomb hit her in the head.”

“Are you alright?” Rachel looked upset and worried.

Erika nodded. “Yes.”

Rachel looked to one then the other. “Do we know who did it?”

“OAK is scrawled on the wall with silly string” Samantha bit her lip. “But I wouldn’t go jumping to conclusions. They are already spending their free time working for Hobbs. It could be another cabin trying to frame them.”

“Or it could be Oak getting even for Josh, and the work time.” Rachel growled.

“Let’s not react until we get some evidence.” Samantha cautioned. “I’ve got to get Erika to the shower to get the rest of the flour out of her hair. I’ll be up afterwards to help clean.”

Samantha held the door to the shower room open for Erika.

“I can do it myself.” Erika told Samantha.

“No. The nurse told me to make sure you didn’t rip those stitches out.”

“I can do it.” Erika insisted.

“We’ll just keep our bathing suits on.” Samantha leaned past Erika and turned on the shower.

The cheerleader stripped out of her shorts and pulled off her T-shirt revealing her two-piece bikini. Erika was suddenly aware of her male bits straining against its restraints.

“Go on, get in.” Samantha urged. She assisted Erika out of her hospital robe and gently guided her into the hot water.

Erika stepped in and turned around a full circle, getting all of her wet except for her head. She then put her face under the warm spray, feeling the hot water warm the blood in her veins, and start to wash the tension from her muscles. She also used the spray to hide her face from looking at the beautiful form in the bikini standing beside her.

She turned around to let the water beat down on her shoulders, and wiped the water from her face and eyes, being careful not to scratch herself or poke herself in the eye with her acrylic nails. When she opened her eyes, she was staring Samantha in the face. Water droplets from the shower beaded up on her perfect skin. Her eyes looked through her lashes giving her a submissive look. Erika leaned in and kissed the cheerleader. She felt Samantha’s arms reach around her neck pulling her in tighter. Erika’s hands found Samantha’s waist and enjoyed the feel of her flat abdomen and her slightly wider hips. She pulled her closer.

Samantha pulled away slightly and squinted at Erika through the barrage of shower spray. “I care about you a lot, you know.”

Erika nodded. She couldn’t tell if Samantha was crying or if the beads of water on her face were from the shower. She turned so that the water hit them both on one side. Then she lifted her hands to wipe the water gently away from under Samantha’s eyes with her thumbs. She pulled her face closer, her lips, meeting those of Samantha’s. Samantha pulled Erika into a tight hug, and then gently pushed away. “Let’s get this flour out of your hair.”

Gently, ever so lightly, Samantha assisted in rinsing Erika’s hair, being extremely careful of the area where the stitches were.

After a bit, Erika turned the shower off and grabbed a towel. She quickly wiped most of the water off of her body and bathing suit, then draped the towel over Samantha and began drying her. She gently dabbed the droplets from the blonde’s face. Samantha looked up at Erika, tears welling in her eyes.

“You scared me today.” Samantha admitted.

“I’m sorry, It was an accident.”

“I know.” Samantha bit her plump lip. “But I don’t want to lose another sister.”

If someone had plunged a knife into Erika’s back it would have been less painful then the pain that just erupted in her heart. Erika took in a long shuddering breath, and attempted a smile. She turned away from Samantha and fiddled with her clothes. “You can’t get rid of me that easily.” She choked back some tears.

Samantha leaned in, and kissed Erika on the cheek. “You get dressed and see the nurse. I’ll go and see if I can get the cabin cleaned up.”

“Okay.” Erika avoided looking at her.

As soon as she heard the shower room door close, Erika slumped on the bench and let the tears flow.

SISTER!? Her brain screamed.

up
214 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

apology

Sorry this one is a bit short. but it seemed like a good place to stop. ;)

A.A.

Well, s***!

Everytime Erika gets up, something comes along and kicks her back down.

:-(

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

that's life

In my experience. . . that's life.

remember, a lot of us here on the site have a bit of 'The Plague' in us.

A.A.

For us, yes

But for some life is a golden path through a garden. I suppose it's too much to ask for Erika to get a chance to walk that path.

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Short is good

It beats nothing every day.

I, too, was thinking about the Plague business... whether it had followed Erika there, or was only in her head. I'm glad she was able to shake it off with the flour.

Poor Erika...

It can really be hard when you find out someone you love doesn't love you in the same way. Even though it's a very sad chapter ending, I think it works well stopping here. I just hope things start looking up for Erika soon.

Maybe not

I'm holding out hope that Samantha is dialing her feelings down because she's afraid of being too vulnerable.

Considering What Just Happened,

Erika has a right to scream. They still need to talk things over between themselves. And What of Hobbs and Oak?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Not what she wanted to hear!

To be called a sister, at a time like that! Oops.

I begin to think both of them are a wee bit confused, and, well I dunno... I hope the "perpetrators" (of the bombing) are identified SOON.

Thanks for another chapter so soon! Would you PLEASE continue at this rate? :-)

Annette

Samantha is a g***d*** fool

Erika/Erik is a great kid and to call him/her a sister after all that has happened and her being the instigator of the Erika charade is nothing short of shallow and almost cruel. Erika/Erik has learned a painful lesson, being a girl hurts too.

It was this outwardly happy friendly face but with no real depth to it that contributed to her sister's feelings of hopelessness and eventual suicide. Then Eric's parents are no prize and the camp director is not the brightest bulb in the chandelier. Sweep bad stuff under the rug and punis the victim seem to be her motto.

If it turns out it was Oak, time to spread some Oak Wilt. I say get them where it hurts, right in the acorns.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Thing is...

Samantha is as far as we know a straight girl, she likes boys. It is clear she doesn't think of Erica as a boy, mainly. So it is probably likely that she is the way she is because while she loves Erica there is no Eros in that love, or only a small amount.

I suspect she knows just how much Erica loves her, she has gone down a path that will allow her to love him/her and not one of separation. I know where Erica is coming from, I suspect most of us do. But Erica must realise at some point that life isn't a fairy tale...

The Legendary Lost Ninja

That Was A Real Kick In The Teeth !

jengrl's picture

Erika has had a day from Hell. I mean busting your head open on a diving board, having a sack of flour dumped on your head and having your supposed girlfriend call you a sister and only give you a peck on the cheek would be enough to cause a major breakdown. I don't know whether Samantha is just scared to be with Erika again or is she just scared to be seen with "The Plague" after what happened? It certainly isn't fair to screw around with Erika's feelings though. Samantha is going to lose Erika the same way she lost Summer if she doesn't quit playing her little mind games. Pushing Erika away was especially callous and cruel. She needed to be loved and reassured after everything that happened and instead she turned her away. I think that whoever pranked the cabin should be dealt with very very harshly given that it was Erika who got hurt. It is time for Director Hobbs to lay down a punishment that will send a clear message that that shit will stop immediately! Can't something good ever happen for Erika and stay that way? I am beginning to wonder.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Oh come on guys.

One does not kiss someone that way that you think of as a sister...

Wait and see what happens.

dayna.

ps. guys is a non-sexual grouping of people without respect to gender in this context.

Samantha

is probably just not sure how to deal with Eric(a) now.

She wanted to understand what happened to her sister. Eric(a) told her but so far she has not realized that in a normal sister relationship her sister would have come to her for help. She may already know this in side and that too drives her to wanting Erica like a sister, but part of her is not ready to admit to herself that she had through her ignorance a major part in driving her sister over the edge.

Now she has come to see that Eric(a) is a very nice person in stark contrast to all she knew before. She has come to love that person. However she can't be certain who and what Eric(a) really is since not even Eric(a) knows this yet. Since Samantha does not appear to be a lesbian and not even have very strong bi tendencies she is confused. There is someone she has come to love as a person. Subconsciously she is also aware that this person loves her. But how can that be? If he was a boy than it would not her normal type of boy so why is she attracted to him? If she is a girl then how could she be attracted at all unless she was like a sister?
So Samantha's reaction is quite understandable to me if I just look from her point of view.

I guess this conflict in her also has her unaware of what her remark to Eric does. She sees Erica and so deals with her the way she sees things. Erica is girl she if she is attracted to her it must be as a sister not as in a couple.

I guess since Eric(a) has a lot more empathy then Samantha she is aware of this conflict in Samantha but for her own sake has to believe that Samatha can lover her/him back.
Even knowing why someone hurt you like that is not helping much with the pain. Still it should give Eric(a) some hope that this is not yet the end. A lot will depend on whether at the end of summer a girl or a boy goes home. If it is Erica that goes home than sister is as good as she can hope for I'm afraid. If Eric goes home it depends on Samantha if she could change her attraction from macho guys to caring ones.

The cabin may want to deal with the prank their way but honestly I can not see the nurse standing by. I would assume it should be her duty to report what happened. Also they will need new linen and this also should cause some one to ask questions. This can't be hid from Phoenix either and she too should draw a line here. If it already escalated to that level after what - 3 weeks? - what will happen next? Some one will seriously get hurt soon so this can't go on.

So many open questions so much still undecided.
Please, Anistasia, hurry to continue this wonderful story.

thanks so much

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

We Don't Know...

...how much the nurse knows about the situation. All she learned about from Erika and Samantha was the flour bomb at the door, which in and of itself would have been too trivial to require her attention if not for the stitches.

I'm inclined to think Oak's getting framed: not only is it bad timing for them since they're already being punished, but it's also coming at a point where Columbine has been working off a sentence of their own (or of Rachel's and Erika's) and has enough sympathy from the general camp populace to make an attack on them very unpopular.

Eric

A big head ache, or Heartache

sonai67's picture

Greetings Anistasia;

Erica is really not having the best of days today! Her Head is injured, and now her heart too.... Oh, emotionally could this be leading to something drastic again? or just to a unusual change? What will the nurse do to her head now? And, What will Samantha do to her heart and mind?

I would be a emotional wreck at this point, and probably have some serious thoughts that are not good for me...

This Chapter may be short, but Very Well Written Anistasia, I can't wait for the next one... Please!

Your Fan

Sonai67

Sonai67

I think Samantha spoke ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... just as she felt ... at that moment. It was a girl moment. Something nasty had just happened to a cabin mate - a girls' cabin cabin mate who looked like a 100% girl - something most likely done by a BOYS' cabin group. She was helping wash hair that was very girly, both in girls swimsuits. It was the sisterhood against disgusting, immature BOYS; it was a girl bonding moment. There was no place for a male in that moment. If she hadn't said sister, she probably would have said girlfriend.

I think Erika needs to go back to being Eric for awhile after camp to see if any of Erica's confidence, etc. carries over and helps him be a better man and stand up for himself, and also to see how Sam reacts to him. Then weigh the two and decide who he wants to be, Eric or Erika ... it may be both.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

I have to say ...

... that sounds very reasonable to me.

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

"SISTER!?"

uh oh ...

DogSig.png