Camp Kumoni : 43

Printer-friendly version



Camp Kumoni
By Anistasia Allread
Edited by Alexis
     
sunlitforest.jpg

Camp Kumoni 43

A tug on her arm brought her out of her painless, dark existence. Her head felt like someone was pounding on it with a sledge in time with her heart beat. Thump-thump, thump-thump.

Fiery pain streaked across her scalp, radiating out in all directions.

Her lungs burning, wanting, needing, air. Her body craving oxygen wanting to inhale, but a part of her mind told her not to. Thump-thump, thump-thump.

She could feel movement; someone was pulling on her arm. Suddenly the quiet world that she woke up to was shattered as her head crested the lake’s surface. She could hear herself gulp in air. Air that tasted of wood smoke, but that bitter taste tasted better than any breath she had ever taken before. Thump-thump, thump-thump.

“I’ve got her!” she heard a familiar voice call out frantically.

An arm lightly cradled her head in the water as several splashes sounded around her.

“Don’t try to move, Erika.” Tricia’s voice commanded. “I’ve got you.”

The sky, hazy with a yellowish cast seemed bright, too bright, the trees she could make out in her peripheral vision seemed too green. Darkness, she craved the painless darkness. Thump-thump.

She took in another deep breath, relishing the feeling of air, rushing in and out of her lungs. Tears blurred her vision as the fiery pain continued on the back of her scalp.

“Keep her still.” A new voice said from right beside her.

Water lapped around her face as she squinted at the brightness.

“Erika, if you hear me, don’t move your head.” The male voice cautioned. “Can you hear me?”

“Yes.” Erika sobbed. She wanted to scream, wanted to scream and scream again, but her head could barely stand the noise around her, could hardly tolerate the noise in her. Thump-thump, thump-thump.

“Good.” The voice said, a little more calmly. “Erika, I want you to relax and float. Tricia will keep your head above water and still. don’t try moving anything and don’t try helping us, okay?”

“Yeah.”

Two white objects appeared on each side of her head.

Why was everything so bright? Where is that nice darkness? The darkness that nullified the pain? Her head burned and pounded so bad.

“We are going to strap you onto a back board.” The voice spoke calmly. Todd’s voice. She smiled thinking about the life guard that most of the girls at camp drooled over. The one that she found making out with Phoenix in the woods. Thump-thump.

“Okay, Tricia, you can let go of her now.” Todd instructed. “Erika, I’m going to put some straps across your body, this will help you keep still. You hit your head pretty hard, so we have to take a few precautions, do you understand?”

Erika attempted to nod her head, but straps already restraining her forehead and chin kept her from moving. “Yeah.” She stated.

“Stay with me now, Erika.” Todd instructed.

“Can I close my eyes?” Erika asked. “I’m awfully tired.”

“No, don’t go to sleep.” Todd’s voice was firm; a hint of worry crept into it as well. “I need you to stay alert, okay, Erika?”

“Okay.”

Erika felt other straps being secured over her abdomen, arms, and legs. Thump-thump, thump-thump. “God my head hurts.” She sobbed through tears.

“I’ll bet it does.” Todd agreed. “You hit it pretty hard.”

Erika felt herself being pulled through the water, and then her body became heavy as she was tilted. The shore, lined with campers watching and pointing at her came into view. The heart beat in her head intensified. Thump-thump.

Unknown hands grasped the board on either side of her head and helped lift her out of the water. She blinked back the brightness of the forested mountains and the shimmering gold reflections of the sun off from the lake.

She felt herself being lowered to what she assumed was the dock. The worried faces of Tricia and Katie sprang into view followed by that of two of the life-guards.

“Where do you hurt, Erika?” a female life-guard asked.

“My head.” Erika croaked. “I’ve got the worst head ache.” Thump-thump, thump-thump.

“Anywhere else?”

“The back of my head hurts. It’s almost like it’s burning.”

Todd’s face came into view, blocking out the bright hazy sky. Erika relaxed a bit. Todd looked up. “You. Katie is it?”

“Yes.”

“Could you stand right here, and keep her face shaded?” Todd asked.

Katie nodded.

“Don’t close your eyes, or go to sleep on me, Erika. I need you to stay awake.”

“Okay.”

“If you feel like you’re going to throw up, let me know, so that we can turn you. Okay?”

“Okay.” Erika answered.

“What’s your name?” Todd asked.

“Erika.” Erika answered remembering she was a girl at camp.

“What’s your full name?” Todd questioned.

“Erika Martinez.” Erika had to keep in mind to add the ‘ez’ to her last name. Thump-thump.

“How old are you Erika?”

“Fifteen.”

Erika felt someone’s hand in hers.

“Can you squeeze my hand?” he asked.

Erika squeezed it. Thump-thump, thump-thump.

“Good girl.” Todd beamed.

Erika almost blushed at the positive praise, but her head hurt too bad to do more than crack a grin.

“Can you wiggle your toes for me?”

Erika did so.

“Good, very good.” Todd beamed. Some of the tension drained from his face. “Okay, let’s get her up to the infirmary.” He ordered.

Erika felt herself being hoisted into the air.

“Will she be alright?” Katie’s face was ashen with fear and worry

“She’ll be great.” Todd assured. “We just need to take some precautions.”

Thump-thump, thump-thump.

“Erika, you still with us?” Todd asked.

“Yeah.” Erika grimaced against her throbbing head ache.

“Erika!” Samantha’s voice called. “Erika are you all right? Will she be okay, Todd?”

“She’ll be just fine.” Phoenix’s voice carried. “Everyone stay back and let them through!”

Before she knew it, Erika found herself in the infirmary. Director Hobbs and the camp nurse looked to be anxiously waiting her arrival.

“I’ve already called for an ambulance.” Director Hobbs explained to the nurse and lifeguards.

“Erika, what’s your name?” The nurse asked as the lifeguards lowered her, board and all on to the exam table. Thump-thump.

“Erika Martinez.” Erika sighed. “I already told Todd that. Can I get some aspirin and take a nap?”

“You hit your head, Erika.” The nurse explained. “We have to get a C.A.T. scan to make sure that you didn’t break your neck or crack your skull.” The Nurse wrapped a blood pressure cuff around her arm and listened to Todd as he told her of what he saw.

He told of how Erika’s head came down hitting the end of the diving board and how her body flipped forward and dropped into the lake. How Tricia dove in after Erika, and knew exactly what to do, by getting her to the surface and not allowing her to move until the back board was in place. He then told her that Erika was conscious as soon as she resurfaced and that she was able to move her fingers and toes.

“Good. So far you don’t seem to have broken your neck.” The nurse smiled. “You do have a nasty gash on the back of your head though.

Todd grabbed a thick foam-like piece of paper and eased it under her head. “That’s so you won’t bleed all over the carpet, it is so expensive to replace he rolled his eyes and chuckled for her benefit.

The nurse took her blood pressure and made a notation. She had Erika wiggle her fingers and toes. She then took her pulse and shined a flash light into her eyes.

“Ack, that is bright.” Erika winced. Thump-thump, thump-thump.

“Equal and responsive.” The nurse mumbled. She looked back to Erika and began asking her a series of questions. She asked about the accident, what she remembered. Did she lose consciousness? Did she swallow any water? Interspersed in the interrogation she would ask her name over and over, how old she was, what school she went to, what cabin she was in, etc…

The nurse then looked up at Director Hobbs. “How far out is the ambulance?”

“I’d say they should be here in about five minutes. Can I speak with her, now?”

“Sure.” The nurse smiled. “She seems to be doing well.

Director Hobbs stepped up beside Erika. “How are you feeling, Erika?” She asked with a concerned smile.

“Like Thor is hammering in my head.” Erika winced.

“Erika is your mother your emergency contact?”

“Yes.” Erika’s heart beat a little faster causing the hammer blows to increase in speed.

“Is this her number?” Director Hobbs read the number to her.

Oh shit! Erika screamed in her head. Shit, shit, shit! What do I do? Think Erika, think.

“Actually, that is her old number.” Erika lied. “Right before I came to camp, she switched carriers.” Erika then went on to give Director Hobbs Eric’s cell phone number.

“Oh,” Director Hobbs jotted down the number quickly. “I need to let her know that you had an accident and that although you seem to be okay, we are taking you to the hospital as a precaution. Do you want me to ask her to come to the hospital?”

“No.” Erika answered too forcefully. “No, l’m fine, I just want something for this headache.”

“Here is some non-aspirin pain relief.” The nurse held a tiny plastic cup with some syrupy fluid and a cup of water with a straw. “Aspirin thins your blood, and with your little cut back there, we don’t want you to bleed anymore.”

Before long, the EMTs had arrived and came into the small infirmary. The nurse handed over the chart that she had been keeping on her patient and the EMTs moved Erika board and all onto a stretcher. They covered her with a blanket and secured her in the ambulance.

“That didn’t take you long.” Director Hobbs commented.

“We were just up the road, on standby in case of fire casualties.” The EMT explained. “Will you be following us to the hospital?”

“Yes.” Director Hobbs stated. “I’ll be driving that red bug.” She pointed.

The EMT nodded. “Stay close, I’ll let the patrol know you are with us.”

“Can I go?” Samantha begged from the open doors.

“Are you her sister?” the EMT inquired.

“No.” Samantha pouted. “She’s my best friend.”

“I’m sorry, but only family can ride with her.”

“Excuse me, Miss.” Tricia caught the EMT’s attention.

“We need to be going.” The EMT dismissed Tricia.

“Are you bound by HIPPA?” Tricia continued.

The EMT stopped and looked at the blonde. “Yes.”

“I have some information about your patient, private information.” She stated.

The EMT sighed, but followed the blonde to the side of the ambulance. Tricia looked around to make sure that no one was too close and leaned in close to the EMT. She cupped her hand around her mouth and whispered.

The EMT’s eyes widened.

up
215 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The EMT's Are being told WHAT???

sonai67's picture

Greetings Anistasia;

WOW, did you get a good sense of how to handle this one.... I love the fact that you included the HIPPA Act for the EMT's, it will be able to help keep the secret... But now I am dying to find out what will happen in the hospital? And, Will Ms Hobbs also find out the secret? This is getting too exiting, and I will be very impatient for the next chapter....

Very Well Written, Anistasia. You have followed the proper format of the resque techniques and emergency life saving procedures well in this chapter, are you positive your not EMT Qualified???? Thanks for a good clif hanger too... very well done, my thanks for a Great story so far....

Your Fan

Sonai67

Sonai67

Deftly Handled

I love the way you covered all the comments from the previous story part in this one!

Not that I want to give you any bad ideas... but, "being bound by HIPPA" is not the same as being a caring, decent, respectful human being. I'm personally hoping very much that the EMTs are the latter, and that Erika is in safe hands. Maybe instead, someone at the hospital could be a jerkoff about it, and the EMTs put them in their place? That's a scene I'd like to see. Or...? Tricia could ostentatiously get the name/badge no. of the EMT and give him a little warning/threat, before they leave? I love that girl so far!

Speaking of Head Injuries

I am the survivor of one from a car wreck. All I did was bounce two times on my back at 67 mph and stand up and the upper half of my brain is trauma gel shocked and electrically dead, I have a ruptured right inner ear incessantly making me naseous with vertigo, and constant headaches. This was without my head impacting directly. I would imagine a direct impact would have some sort of lasting effects depending on the severity of the blow based on the mass of the individual and the rate of speed of impact along with the distance fallen. Something would have to be permanently changed or affected by this, again, depending on how far fallen and what she struck.

And another clue: As young Erika ages, the physical pain and trauma from having fallen will come back and stay, increasing with age. Arthritis, nerve damage, and a host of variety of other problems will emerge. I have garnered speech problems, dyslexia, and recurring amnesia (constant memory problems) as the lasting effects from mine. This is from first hand experience and still living with it.

 
Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

Not everyone has the same reaction

... to head trauma Sephrena. Greg Luganis (the olympic gold medalist) had an accident very similar to what happened to Erika. He did not suffer as you do (you can find out more from his biology if you like).

Is head trauma serious. VERY MUCH SO. Was it treated as a serious matter in the chapter? YES. Only time will tell HOW serious her brain dammage is (if any). That she was as responsive as she was to Todd, indicates that her accident was not in the same class as the one you experienced. (If I'm wrong, well I could talk to Guido Savaducci and I'm sure he can find the author, and arange a revision to a happier outcome. Yep. No question about it...)

Annette

I stood up

right after the accident and felt more alert than ever before in my life. The damage set in later starting the next day. There are other aspects of the injury which YOU do know about and I will not discuss openly. Suffice it to say there are two types of injury: immediate and then long term. Long term develops over time. Immediate is right away. You can appear to be just fine right away and suddenly be crippled for life in some weird way developing as a result of that injury directly and subsequent fallout. Yes mine was weird.

Erika is suffering right now and hasnt moved around. Vertigo or ear ringing constantly can develop as it did in me. Problems with the neck or shoulder can develop and plague poor Erika as mine do me. I did not even mention my back pain from that wreck.

Direct impacts can be MORE severe than indirect. Calcification, arthritis, subsequent brain concussions can cause personality changes, memory loss, mood disorders, headaches and many many other problems. This event should be researched with a look at accident victims in particular and over time before dismissing this so lightly. Lots of injuries show up much later when the victim feels fine right away. Some show up days and weeks later.

 
Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

5 feet and something

She fell before hitting her head. The board was where she started, after all. It's not like she went the entire distance of the high dive before she hit.

REW (Roo)

Poor Erika!! What Happens Now?

You have captured our hearts with this wonderful story. Each character comes alive with their personality. Now I wonder if Erika will be outed at the hospital and if her Mom will find out.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Well, I think I know what the EMT now knows.

I wonder how much trouble Erika will get into with the switch in phone numbers. That was quick thinking, BTW. I doubt very much I could have done so.

It was good seeing how professional Todd could be, when he needed to. He was joking (some) when he said it was his lake, but it's always reasuring to see the acquatics staff turn totally professional when the situation warrents (In my experience almost all do).

Things seem to really be comming to a head here.

One question. How long until the NEXT chapter? There is so much we NEED to know.

Annette

Another example

My son had the same kind of accident as Erick(a), while he was on a local diving team (that kind, not the mask-and-tank kind). I watched in horror as his body limply fell to the water, and moments later as the blood poured down his back (scalp wounds bleed like crazy). We got him checked, scanned, and observed (much to his annoyance), and other than some stitches for the scalp wound he was fine. He was back at the pool, diving with the team, in a few days.

That was ten years ago, and still no signs of long term problems. He was very lucky.

The biggest difference between the accident they had and the one you (Sephrena) describe is speed. The combined speed (including rotation) with which they hit the board was likely much less than 15 MPH. The biggest danger was spinal injury, due to leverage and momentum - a relatively large body mass suddenly pivoting on a small, narrow structure (neck and spine). Your brain had a much higher speed, higher momentum collision with the inside of your skull than those experienced by Erick(a) and my son.

Jorey
.
Like Sudoku?
sudokurose.com

Jorey
.

HIPPA???

When we were based in the states about seven years ago we were told about HIPAA, the acronym for Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act and I was wondering if this was what Tricia was referring to towards the end and whether it might be a typo?

This is a great chapter, AA, and I know my Tricia will enjoy it. She adores swimming, but she's not such an accomplished diver as your Tricia. However she thinks it's so cool (sorry, KEWL!) that cxamp K has a girl with her name.

Hugs,
Hilary

For What It's Worth...

...it's pronounced "hippa", but you are correct -- it is a typo. The proper acronym is HIPAA.

Apologies on behalf of all Americans everywhere for our gleeful casualness with language and acronyms, not that it matters one whit to this excellent story. Firstly, it's an obscure law, that most Americans have only heard of in the context of inconvenience, and then only verbally. "I'm sorry, I can't give you your wife's test results unless she signs this release form. It's that new 'hippa' law, you know." And secondly, you figured it out, didn't you?

I'd apologize personally for repeating the author's typo in my comment, but I had never seen it written, either.

not outta the woods yet

laika's picture

but I'm glad Erica was able to wiggle her toes & such. It'd be horrible if
she woke up to find a concerned-looking Clint Eastwood hovering over her bed.
Exciting chapter, Anistasia! This trip to the ER should be a very interesting scene.
~~~hugs, Laika

.
[When the president was rushed to the hospital there was some confusion as to how the HIPAA law
should apply to as public a personage as the President of the United States...
It was a HIPPA POTUS mess.]

So glad

erin's picture

I'm so glad you actually exist, Laika. It would be impossible to invent you. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

HIPAA, HIPPA, Tomato, Tomatoe

My goodness I am SO sorry that I got the acronym wrong. if that is the ONLY thing wrong with this chapter, (other than a few spelling errors) Than I think maybe I'm doing pretty good.

Anyway, I'm sorry I got HIPAA wrong.

A.A.

Not your problem

That was in a line of dialogue, so you didn't get it wrong, Tricia did. It's perfectly understandable that a teenage girl doesn't get the acronym for a law exactly right; she probably remembered the thing phonetically.

Potato . . .soup?

I've seen it referenced as "HIPA Act", and as "HIPPA" - acronym for Health Insurance Portability & Privacy Act. By any of those names, it has entered the vernacular in the U.S., but will undoubtedly continue to confuse others. That is what happens when local or regional slang is used by a character. C'est la vie!

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Diving and head injuries

Speaking from personal experience, they do hurt. And the weirdest part was the slow motion realization, from the moment you are pushing off the board and it shifts, to the trying to recover the back flip with the rotation, then the reality that you missed making it by inches. As your back hits and slides across the end of the board and then the neck popping snap as the back of your skull connects with diving board and you fall to the water below in a crumpled mess. The crawling through the water to the side of the pool and try to climb out and just manage to roll over when thhe lifeguards finally get there. Finally they transport you to the snack bar counter where they cover you with a wet towel to wash off the blood that is covering the mess that is your back and head and applu ice to the whiole thing. My mom was a little peeved since I had been diving off the high dive the previous 2 summers and I had the accident at 9 years old. What can I say, it was a community pool that was hit by a tornado a few years later and was left with a tree in the middle of it. Needless to say, I survived but still can't bring muyself to do any fancy dives to this day. We all react and heal differently to body trauma, and I maitain that age has a lot to do with the severity of injuries in most situations.

Oops, almost forgot, when and where do I buy the book when this is finished? This is a great story with characters that are so alive, I feel I know them personally! Please keep the chapters coming, but do take care of yourself first.

Hugs
Diana

[eddited for spelling errors]

Book talk

Back after I had finished posting Ch. 10, there was some talk of when I neared finishing this story that there might be some interest in publishing it through Doppler. We'll see what happens when I DO get close to finishing.

I'm glad you all are enjoying it.

A.A.

you are amazing Anistasia!

And there I was worried you would let it all crash. It seems you know perfectly well what you do to us and your story.

My guess is once this is over a few more people at camp will know and possible the parents will too but that does not have to be the end.

I will desperately await the next chapter to read how things continue.

It seems Erica has made a few very good friends and the way she helped protect Samantha is also in her favor. So I'm sure her friends will look out for her and the adults will have a learning experiences along the way but in the end come around and se things in favor of Erica.

thanks for another autstanding chapter you are amazing Anistasia

hugs

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

Summer Camp

Kumoni has been a good exciting read, Anastasia. I think, like so many others,
that you did that very well. Thank you. This is really excellent!

Sarah Lynn

Awsome

Super excellent chapter, many thanks AA.

Given the lead time for proof readers and the like, I had a good chuckle at the comments after ch 42 about what might occur, and its clear that our worshipfull authoress has done a lot of research to bring us these amazing selection of words.

Looking forward to the next installments

A

Ohh..groannn....I still have that headache...

and it's throbbing really bad. Now I have some new pain to worry about, could I fake some amensia for a short bit??

Hello Anistasia!!! ^____^ ;-D

Well, you really let the cat out of the bag this time. When you have Erica's secret revealed to the EMT. I guess that is safe so there won't be any surprises when she dons the dressing gown. I never did like those. You had a front, but nothing for the derriere or back side. Kind of like half-streaking down the hallway while walking and stretching the legs.

Well, I will just have to wait for the next chapter and see if my headache is lessened or it gets worse. Take care until next time.

Rachel

Tricia

Looks like Tricia has Erika’s back.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

patient confidentiality

hopefully it want change how they care for her.

DogSig.png