Camp Kumoni : 26

Printer-friendly version
“Alright, Dani, take her to the nurses station then come on back here.” Skyler sent them on their way.

Skyler went back to the group. “Now don’t any of you go teasing that poor girl about this. If I hear that you that you have, you won’t be allowed near MY rope course.” He looked to each and every girl. “Okay,” he smiled. “Who’s next?”

Camp Kumoni
By Anistasia Allread
     
sunlitforest.jpg

Chapter 26
 
“Today, we’re not going to take a hike.” Grizzly Adams greeted the girls.

There was a collective sigh of relief. They had already been around the lake once this morning and they really didn’t want to make another circuit.

“We do have to walk a bit to get to where we are going.” Grizzly smiled at them. “Come.” He turned and began down the path that led around the lake.

The girls all looked to one another wondering where he was going if they weren’t to circle the lake again. About a third of the way around the lake, Grizzly stepped off the main path and onto what looked like a deer trail that went into the woods. A few minutes later, he led them into a small clearing. A bit of grass managed to grab hold here in among the towering trees. A large log occupied one side of the clearing.

“Have a seat ladies.” Grizzly instructed them. Once he was satisfied that they were reasonably comfortable he stood before them. “Today we’re going to begin your instruction on survival skills.”

For the next hour, the girls of Columbine and Grizzly Adams discussed different skills and ideas of surviving in the wild. Yeah, eating worms and beetles was a gross idea, but it sure beat starving, didn’t it? As for starting a fire with sticks? They had discussed it and Grizzly even showed them how it was done after they had each taken a turn at rubbing them together.

“My favorite way of starting a fire using two sticks is this one.” He smiled. He reached into a pocket brought forth a match and struck it against the rough bark of the log and started the kindling to a small blaze.

They went on to talk about building shelters and using each other for body heat. They talked about surviving in inclement weather as well as good weather. About dehydration and the need to leave signs and tracks if you intend to find your way out, so that others might be able to find you.

“Tomorrow,” he said, “We will put what we talked about today into practice. Wear jeans and good shoes. We will be making shelters, snares, and setting up a camp.”

The girls all looked to one another with excitement and disbelief, that is all of them, but Rachel; she had been coming to this camp for three years now.

“Go on back to camp.” Grizzly waved them away. “Smokey the Bear says, I’ve got to put out this fire.”

“What is this rope class?” Rachel asked Phoenix. “It must be new, cause we didn’t have it last year. Is it like tying knots and stuff?”

“You mean I actually know something that you don’t?” Phoenix teased her. “I guess you’ll just have to find out along with everyone else.”

Once back in camp, Phoenix led them out towards the road, then took a new trail that Rachel had never been down before, let alone seen. A little way into the trees, the underbrush opened up to reveal ropes all over tied between trees up high, and down low.

“Welcome Columbine.” A sinewy young man called to them. “I’m Skyler, and this is my rope obstacle course.

“Cool!” Rachel exclaimed.

”Oh Fuck!” Katie muttered.

Dani looked up at her tall friend, shocked at the four lettered word that she had just uttered. “Katie!” she admonished.

“I think I’m going to be sick.” Katie’s face drained of color.

“Huh?” Dani questioned.

“I’m afraid of heights, remember?” Katie leaned up against a tree.

“Okay,” Skyler greeted them all with a smile as he finished wrapping up some rope. “Who here is afraid of heights?” He looked directly at Katie, and chuckled. “For some unknown reason, it’s usually the tall ones who are afraid of heights.”

Katie nodded her head.

“Anyone else?” Skyler glanced around at the girls. Erika saw Victoria hesitantly put her hand up. Skyler nodded in her direction and scanned for more. “Anyone else?”

Erika looked around as well. She felt kind of excited, she had seen the rope obstacle courses on various Television shows, and had always wanted to try it. She looked over to Samantha who looked to be almost as excited as she was.

“Alright, let’s go over safety issues before we get you swinging around like spider monkeys.” Skyler smiled.

Katie groaned.

He led them over to a large container that held helmets, and handed one to each of the girls. “Over in that box,” he pointed, “are gloves, go ahead and pick out a pair that fits you please.”

The girls found a pair that they were comfortable with then gathered around Skyler again.

“Okay, Ladies, let’s get rule number one straight: like Todd and his lake, this is MY Rope course. Anyone breaking the rules on MY rope course will be evicted immediately. Now, let’s go over some of the rules of MY rope course.

Skyler spent a few minutes outlining the rules for HIS course before taking a volunteer, which happened to be Samantha and showed them all how to get into their safety harnesses. He then had them all do so and checked to see that they were fitting right. Each harness had a number of carabiners. Skyler described the safety clips and how to use them, and how not to use them, such as clipping an unknowing cabin mate to a tree or rope.

Erika was having trouble. The harness was riding and getting caught between her gaffe and thigh or it would start pinching. She didn’t have any idea how she was going to do this. The pinching that it caused was quite painful, but she knew she would just have to grin and bear it, unless she took time out to go to the bathroom and remove the gaffe. But where would she put it until after the class? As long as she didn’t fall, or have to rely too much on the harness carrying her weight, she would be fine. She would just grin and bear it today.

Skyler then had them all put on their helmets, and then made sure that they fit to his satisfaction.

“All right, ladies.” Skyler grinned at them. “The first thing we are going to do is have you walk up a rope ramp.” He led them to one end of the rope course. “It’s Krystal, right?” he smiled to the large girl.”

Krystal nodded nervously.

“Krystal, I’m going to ask you to take the first step.” He took her gloved hand and led her to a thick rope that was staked into the ground. The rope angled up at an angle up to a tree. At waist height, on either side of the thick rope was another smaller rope. These two ropes were attached to the thick rope by another rope that zigzagged up and down between the thick rope and the two side ropes. “Krystal, go ahead and step onto the rope there, and put your hands onto the two side ropes to use as side rails.” He instructed.

“Are you sure?” Krystal looked to the sinewy guy. “You sure it will hold me?”

“If I had a doubt, I wouldn’t have asked you.” Skyler smiled. “Besides, up there, your weight won’t matter.” he looked up “you will be like a squirrel or monkey scampering amongst the tree tops.”

Skyler took a rope attached to her safety harness and clipped it onto a rope that ran above the main rope. “Once you get half way up, I want you to stop and do as I say.” He grinned at her. He leaned in close and whispered into her ear. Krystal looked shocked and then relaxed. “Okay Krystal, go ahead. Show these girls how it’s done.”

Krystal’s first few steps were very hesitant as she tested the rope’s strength and stability. Once she was confident that the rope wasn’t going to snap or bend to the ground under her weight, her steps quickened. She got up to the middle of the rope ramp and stopped. She turned her head towards Skyler, who had placed himself between Katie and Victoria.

“Okay, Krystal, I want you to bounce a little on the rope.” He called up to her.

Krystal looked concerned for a moment, then nodded and began bouncing on the rope. The thick rope bowed just a little as she bounced up and down on it.

“Little more Krystal,” Skyler smiled.

With her hands held fast to the side ropes, Krystal put more effort into the bouncing of the rope ramp.

“Okay, that’s good.” Skyler instructed. “Now I want you to use your feet and begin swaying the rope sideways each way. It won’t move much, but I want you to get the feel of how the ropes feel when they move under you.”

Krystal soon had the bottom rope swinging side to side beneath her, as her upper body seemed to be holding still.

“Awesome, Krystal.” Skyler praised. “Now I want you go ahead and walk on up to the top of the rope.”

“See there’s nothing to it.” Skyler told Katie and Victoria.

Krystal’s steps were much more sure now as she practically pranced up the ramp towards the tree. She stopped and looked back to Skyler.

“Krystal, you’re doing perfect.” Skyler encouraged. “Now, reach above you and unclip your safety line. And clip it to the red rope to your left.”

Krystal did as instructed and looked over her shoulder. “Great job Krystal. How do you feel up there?” he asked.

“This is incredible.” She squeaked.

“Told you, you’d like it.” Skyler grinned up at her. Now, on your left is a rope bridge. Go ahead and walk across it.”

Krystal looked across the bridge that she was standing on. It was at lease fifty feet to the other side. She took a few steps out on the bridge and looked down for more encouragement from Skyler. “Oh my God!!” she gasped. She hadn’t realized how far off the ground she was until now. The forest floor was a good twenty feet below her.

“What’s wrong Krystal?” Skyler asked, watching her every move.

“It’s just a long way down from here.” Krystal took a deep breath.

“Are you alright?” he asked, concern filling his voice.

“I’m fine. It just took me off guard is all.” Krystal took another deep breath and walked across the bridge without further incident.

“You’re incredible!” Rachel called up to her.

“Okay, see that pulley on your right?” Skyler called up to her. She nodded. “Clip your safety line into the red ring.”

“Okay.” Krystal announced.

“See the handles on each side of the pulley?”

Krystal nodded.

“Grab a hold of each one and jump.”

“What?” Krystal screeched. “You want me to jump?”

“Hold on to each side of the pulley and jump.” Skyler repeated. The pulley is like a zip line that will carry you down to that pile of foam and mattresses.”

Krystal’s sight followed the line that the pulley was attached to and saw a large pile of foam pads and mattresses. She looked back at the rope that the pulley was riding on.
“Are you sure it will hold me?” She asked.

“One hundred percent.” Skyler was making his way to where the foam was. “You’ve got it all the way Krystal.”

“Go ahead Krystal.” Rachel called up to her.

“You’re doing great Krystal!” Erika followed. “Just jump and enjoy it!”

Krystal grabbed a hold of each handle and closed her eyes. She didn’t jump but rather picked her feet up off the rope and screamed. The pulley moved slowly at first but it quickly picked up momentum and began its decent down the rope. Krystal took a breath and screamed again as she neared the foam padding. Just as she got over the foam, her hands slipped from the handles and she plummeted into the pads. She screamed again but this time the scream quickly turned into laughing out loud interrupted by squeals of delight.

“You were great, Krystal.” Skyler unhooked her safety line from the pulley.

Erika, Samantha and Rachel ran over to their mate and jumped into the foam around her.

“That was so brave!” Samantha told her. “Was it fun?”

“You're my idol!” Rachel hugged her. “You rocked that course.”

“That was really good Krystal!” Erika agreed. “I am so jealous, I wanted to go first.”

Skyler sent the pulley back up to the top of the zip line while Phoenix, Samantha, and Rachel helped Krystal to her feet.

“See Katie.” Dani looked to her tall friend. “It wasn’t so bad now was it? Krystal did great, and she didn’t fall or anything.”

Katie still looked as white as a sheet.

“Alright, ladies.” Skyler gathered them all around. “Krystal showed you all how to do it. Now it’s your turn. Katie and Victoria, did you want to go first and get it over with, or last?” Skyler looked to each of them. Neither spoke. “I’ll take that as last.” He smiled at them. “It’s okay,” he held each of their gaze for a moment. “I used to be scared of heights too.”

One at a time, each of the girls traversed the rope course while their cabin mates called encouragement up to them.

Victoria, through sheer determination and stubbornness, slowly made her way through the course. She was shaking when she landed in the foam, but she did it on her own.

Katie made it half way up the ramp and froze in place. Ten feet off the ground and she was like a statue, not moving, barely even breathing. Skyler tried talking her the rest of the way up the ramp, but she didn’t budge a muscle. She didn’t answer any questions or even make a noise. Finally, Skyler clipped in and went up the ramp to where she was and wrapped his arms around her shoulders, and held her for a moment.

Erika watched as he whispered in her ear and held her. Slowly she was able to release one handrail then the other. Skyler relaxed his grip on her, but didn’t let go. He slowly took a step backwards, pulling Katie with him. She could see Skyler whispering encouragement into her ear as she slowly moved her foot back. Her eyes were clamped tight and her jaw was clenched. Her nostrils flared as she sucked in and blew out air.

“Phoenix, grab that red tackle box over there by that tree.” Skyler indicated with his eyes. “The rest of you I want you all to go over by the helmet and glove containers.”

“Is she okay?” Dani’s voice cracked with concern.

“She’ll be just fine.” Skyler smiled. “Katie and I just need some breathing room.” He turned back towards Katie and whispered softly I her ear.

Once on the ground, Katie collapsed in Skyler’s arms. Her knees buckled and he helped her sit on the ground, then laid her back cradling her head on his knees.

“What’s wrong?” Dani pleaded with Skyler and Phoenix.

“She just needs a few minutes to relax.” Skyler told her softly. “She’s doing just fine.” He soothed.

Erika watched with concern as Katie’s chest suddenly heaved a few times and began gulping air.

“That’s it.” Skyler encouraged. “Deep breaths. You’re doing wonderful Katie.

After a few moments, Skyler helped Katie to a sitting position. The tall model shook with fright and nervousness. “I’m sorry.” Katie turned red. “I’m so sorry.”

“You have nothing to be sorry about, Katie.” Skyler soothed. “You did just fine. You just happened to look down and got a little scared. It happens to people all of the time.” He smiled warmly at her.

“I’m so embarrassed.” Katie’s eyes darted towards her cabin mates then back at her lap.

“Your cabin mates are just concerned for you.” Skyler explained. “They care about you very much and just want to make sure you’re all right… do you think you can stand?”

Katie nodded. Skyler helped her to her feet. Then looked over to her cabin mates. “All right girls. Someone needs a group hug.”

Erika joined her cabin mates in a surrounding Katie and embracing her in a heartfelt hug.

“Dani.” Skyler called to the dwarf. “Could you get out of your harness and walk Katie down to the Nurses station? Oh, don’t worry. I just want the nurse there to check her out and make sure she is doing better. It’s precautionary, I promise.” Skyler then went up to Katie and started helping her out of her harness. “Katie, I won’t even ask you if you want to try it again. I could use your help on the ground though when your cabin comes. Will you help me?”

Katie nodded.

“If, and I mean if, you decide to try the beginner course, I want it to be your decision. Don’t let your friends push you into it. And whatever you do, don’t be embarrassed by this…. Okay?”

“Okay, Skyler.” Katie smiled weakly.

“Alright, Dani, take her to the nurses station then come on back here.” Skyler sent them on their way.

Skyler went back to the group. “Now don’t any of you go teasing that poor girl about this. If I hear that you that you have, you won’t be allowed near MY rope course.” He looked to each and every girl. “Okay,” he smiled. “Who’s next?”


To Be Continued...

 
End of Chapter Twenty-Six

up
201 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Katie's Fear Of Heights

Has taken place of Erika's fear of being outed or having to reveal her secret to her cabin mates. But forcing Katie to go on the Rope Course could have caused her harm if she had fallen.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Ropes Course

From the ropes courses I have been on she couldn't have fallen. She was secured by a static line that would have taken her weight. She might have dropped three feet before the rope caught her.

Love,

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

camp k #25

good and i dont blame her for being scard i am i dont like to climb laders yet a loune a rope wow i hope she is gonna be ok
whildchild

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

Once again…

…Anistasia, you you have demonstrated your masterful—¿mistressful?—writing ability. Another great chapter. Poor Katie, I feel for her ’coz I had a friend when I was a young girl who was terrified of heights and when she came round to mplay we could never go up into my tree house.

Hilary

I would have been just like Katie

I too was very afraid of hights.
Crossing a bridge, towers and such.
I kept as far away from the railing as possible so I can very much relate. However I'm confident that her cabin will stand behind her.

I also hope that episodes like that will show Erica that the cabin will most likely stand behind her. Sure its a bigger shock but its hard to be mad at a person you have come to like and care about...

hugs

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

Re: I would have been just like Katie

I should have looked at the rest of the comments. I already posted about my fear of heights and how I've dealt with it.

Fear of heights

I loved the fact that the rope course was properly supervised and safety was of paramount importance.

We here in England have such a bloody nanny culture that if it even looks as though someone might get a scratch it would be deemed too dangerous. I note some of the comments here stress that she "could have been hurt". With the rules set as they were, I seriously doubt that. Also, the human race has managed to get this far without being too coddled, so why start now?

Kids need to be kids and they need to learn. Preventing them from doing what kids do only means that they are not well rounded kids because they have not had a chance to try things and grow from the experience, which to my mind is worse than making them do things they don't want to.

Stasia has demonstrated a nice mix of both here and I commend her for it (I voted too!).

NB

but Nick...

laika's picture

If we don't start coddling the populace now, what are the Morlocks gonna eat?

(Another great chapter, Anistasia, seemed like it was over before I knew it.
I 'spect it's gonna be a long "week" before we find out how---or if---Erica
gets out of this mess with the ultimatum of being outed...
~~~hugs from yet another of yr 3 fans, LAIKA)

Coddling

Boy did I blanche at the thought, but I think you're jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire with that comment. You're lucky that my temper is just simmering otherwise, you could find yourself em-broiled into another of those senseless arguments and being grilled.

Let's just say that I'm not going to give you the roasting you deserve.

OMG, you trickster!

And the whole way through I thought it was Erika that had to go to the nurse!

With the subsequent end to the deception and all...

Never thought I was afraid of heights ...

... until recently when I'd tried scaling one of them indoor rock climbing things. I'd gotten maybe halfway up when I looked down and just froze. My heart started thumping and my arms and legs were slowly turning to jelly. When I told my safety monitor (I forget his official title) that I felt too scared to go up higher, he suggested I jump! Even though he explained my decent would be controlled by my safety line, I was doing no such thing! After what felt like forever, I slowly inched my way down. My legs were barely able to hold me up when I touched ground. I dunno if I'd ever try something like that again, but if I do, I hope I'd wind up with someone like Skyler, who seems to have a decent grasp of how to deal with someone who's scared.


Heather Rose Brown
Writer--Artist--Dreamer

Fear of heights

I know just how scary that can be. When I was a young child, I was terrified of heights, as much or more than Katie here.

I can't recall the specific impetus, but at some point when I was eleven or twelve, I decided to conquer my fear of heights. There was a railway bridge about half a mile away from the house I lived in, I decided that I was going to climb up to that bridge and stand on it for a while. It took a fair bit of time, and several attempts, before I could even handle being near that bridge, let alone standing on it, yet I eventually managed it, and was able to look down at the river eighty feet below without having a panic attack. A few months later, I was able to actually cross over that bridge without being terrified, and crossed one or two others after that on a semi-regular basis.

A few years after that, I was able to go up to the outdoor observation deck of the Canadian National Tower in downtown Toronto (342 meters/1122 ft. above the ground), hang onto the railing, and look all around at the city below with only a very mild sense of nausea ensuing from the height of the deck. I've been up there several times since then with no ill effects.

I've flown twice, once as a passenger on a large jet, once as a passenger on a small two engine plane. I can't recall having any problems with the jet, even when looking out toward from the ground from over 30,000 ft, yet the small plane had me feeling mildly nauseous throughout the flight. I managed to control the nausea and enjoyed that ride quite a bit. I wouldn't mind doing it again at some point.

To be completely honest, I still am afraid of heights, but I know I can deal with it if I have to, so I don't let it bother me.

rope courses

lisa charlene's picture

im medically retired military we did have to do rope courses no you cant fall but it can scare you i know it did me took several trips to get me comfortable at all with it