The Feminine Queendom 66

Printer-friendly version

The Feminist Queendom Charlie’s War 66.

© Beverly Taff

List of Characters.

Charlie Sage Maths and electronics genius.
Shirley Sage Charlies elderly mother
Chloe Charlie’s one time early school friend.
Josephine Flint Surgeon and associate of Chloe’s.
Mrs Jane Anston Director of Anston Aerospace.
Ronnie Garage mechanic at top of lane
Pauline Garage owner, Ronnie’s sister.
Briony Pauline’s teenaged daughter.
Billy Pauline’s middle son.
Abigail (Abby) Pauline’s youngest daughter.
‘Poppy’ Charlie’s little micro-runabout.
‘Doris’ The armoured mobile home.
‘Lady’ Chloe’s Sports Car.
Dawn Charlie’s armoured spaceship.
Colonel Wilson Vindictive misanthropist doctor.
Margaret Thomas ‘Failed’ police security guard.
Sally. 1st Oz Special forces trooper
Jacky 2nd Oz Special forces trooper.
Juliet Charlie’s Mal engineering assistant.
Laura The second mate of the Second Dawn
Kate (Katherine Bergson) The Australian defence minister.
Lieutenant Engadine Asi Charlie’s second prisoner.

Chapter 66

“Well that doesn’t bode well for a start!” Charlie observed as he cautiously lowered Dawn 1 to the surface of Ceres. “There must be at least half a metre of dust and debris before we landed on anything solid.”

“You should have landed on that sloping rocky bit over there,” Engie argued. “That’s obviously some sort of rock.”

“There’s no knowing what’s going on under the rock. Anyway, I’m more interested in what causes the geysers. I mean look at that white lagoon over there! Is it water ice, brine ice or frozen carbon dioxide? It’s obviously got a liquid element or it’ wouldn’t be so smooth at the edge.”
“I suppose you’re right. Shall I try to get a sample?”

“I’m not allowing you to walk over there. The surface might not be stable and if you dislodge a lump of rock under the debris it could break off to start another geyser. I’m not happy Engie. Just get some samples from under the rear ramp and we’ll hover over to the lagoon to sample the white ice. Certainly, you must not step into that slushie shit until we know what’s underneath.”

“Okay boss.” Engie replied as she cautiously prodded into the debris under the stern ramp.

“Make sure that sampling rod doesn’t freeze to your glove kid. Just get your samples and let’s get out of here.”

Charlie nervously watched his lieutenant dipping her sampling cup into a small puddle of Brine she had spotted within reach from the tail of the ramp. Then she prodded the sampling claw amongst the smaller debris to collect some solid samples. Finally, she started to reach down to tug out a larger rock about fifty centimetres diameter. Charlie screeched a warning.

“No! No. “Don’t do that come away, come away!

Fortunately Engie was not some wilful youth and she immediately pulled back obediently as Charlie desperately ascended to get clear of the surface. Her safety line held her tight as the acceleration left her suspended from the ramp but quickly being towed upwards by Dawn 1.

“What the f—k!” She squealed. “Boss! Pull me in!”

“For a few more seconds, Engie continued to be stuck at the end of the safety line until Dawn 1 was at least a couple of hundred metres from the surface. Then he gently eased off the speed and Engie continued to drift back towards the ramp. Through the rear docking cameras, Charlie adjusted Dawn 1’s speed to gently catch Engie like a baseball in a catcher’s glove and Engie squealed with a combination of anger and relief.”

“What the hell was that for?” She demanded.

“Look behind you.” Charlie ordered.

On turning to look, Lieutenant Asi was shocked and frightened to see a huge geyser of what appeared to be ice crystals and water erupting from the place where she had tugged the rock free. The force could have easily smashed the visor of her space helmet for amongst the ice and water, there were smaller darker pieces of rock.”

“Shit!” She exclaimed. “Thanks boss.”

“You’d better come into the cabin and we’ll try another ploy.” Charlie suggested.

“How?” Engie asked.

“Are you prepared to try again, with a much longer pole?!” Charlie asked.

“Firstly, will it be safer, and secondly; where will we find a longer pole?” Engie wondered.

“Dawn 2 has got several.” Charlie explained. “We can collect one from her.”

After an unexpected spacewalk that both Engie and Laura counted as extra experience, a pole was transferred and Dawn 1 returned to hover half a meter above Ceres’ Surface.

After her second attempt, Engie was really pleased to collect several samples including the original ‘rock’ she had endeavoured to gather the first time where there was now a distinct plume of vapour escaping from the tiny fissure she had accidentally created.

Throughout Engie’s labours, Charlie watched like a hawk for any more mishaps but Engie completed her work without any more problems. Once she was happy with her sampling she rapped on the airtight door and Charlie closed the clamshell doors of the cargo hold. After equalising the airlock at the airtight door, Engie finally struggled wearily into the cockpit with her sterile case of samples and slumped down on the couch beside the navigation table.

“Done now?” Charlie asked with an indulgent smile.

She nodded as Charlie double checked the cabin for any leaks then helped Engie remove her helmet. Engie then returned the courtesy until they were sitting in their suits without their helmets.

“Phew! That was hairy, - well the first bit was anyway.”

“Yeah. Let that be a lesson girl. That’s how easily things can go pear-shaped. Is there any damage to your suit?”

“You tell me,” Engie replied, “you can check it out better than I can.”

Charlie checked it out and frowned slightly.

“The protective outer gloves are freeze-scorched. The asbestos fibres must have become brittle in the brine. Look they’ve almost crumbled away where you tugged at that rock.”

“Good job the suite’s gloves held up.” Engie replied somewhat ruefully.

“Yeah! You were lucky. What’s in that ice-brine anyway?” Charlie wondered.

“Well Brine usually contains various salts and stuff. We’ll have to analyse it back at Woomera.”

“Which is exactly where we’re returning to now.” Charlie replied as he released the last fastening on Lieutenant Engadine’s space suit.

“You can take that off while Juliet and I set our courses back to earth.”

ooo000ooo

Two days later both ships arrived to a jubilant reception which included the Australian PM and her defence minister Katie.

“So what’s this news about this dwarf planet?”

“We will have to analyse the vapour plume first, but it’s definitely got some water in it.”

“That should be useful shouldn’t it?” Katie asked.

“Well actually; not really. There are moons orbiting the gas giants where water might be easier to obtain. Europa is the best example. It orbits Jupiter which is not much further than the asteroid belt in ‘anti-grav’ terms. We had a few hairy experiences with geyser plumes on Ceres, nearly wiping out my lieutenant.

Europa is more stable and predictable while Ceres is a rather hyperactive little sod. She’ll kill you as soon as look at you.”

“I’ll leave that to your greater knowledge,” the PM conceded. “So what’s your next step.”

“My three colleagues go back to the moon in Dawn 2 and continue extending Moon-base Alpha. I need to build another dozen engines or so. I’ve got plenty of materials now.”

Katie the defence minister frowned with no small disappointment.

“So, you’re still not prepared to reveal your secrets of the gravity drive?”

“Nope!” Charlie declared quite bluntly. “Not until I’m certain that my science won’t be leaked to other governments or weaponised; - leastways, not in my lifetime or my children’s’.”

“I had hoped you would enable us to build some defensive craft suitable to prevent any attacks on Australia. We are not a big population and we’ve got a huge territory to protect.”

“Frankly, that’s my plan, but I’ll be the decider if and / or when they need to be armed A dozen anti-gravs for six armoured defence craft. That will give you ariel superiority. If a shooting war ever starts I’ll move on building more; however, I’d prefer not to have to.”

Having declared her intentions, the Australian government were forced to accept Charlie’s conditions and Charlie left to meet his wife Chloe.

ooo000ooo

Chloe Sage was driving home from the school and the kindergarten with her children when Dawn 1 swooped down to the road about two hundred metres ahead and settled on the side of the road.

“Daddyee! Daddyee! “ Her oldest daughter squealed as she recognised her father’s spaceship. “Can I go mummy?”

“Of course you can darling.” Chloe allowed as she pulled over and released the passenger door. Charlotte immediately scampered across the verge and clambered up the open stern ramp where her father was waiting to hoist her into his arms.

“I’ll meet you at the house love!” He called to Chloe.

She waved her agreement and resumed driving whilst trying to ignore the strange ‘pastie-shaped’ craft loitering above the side of the road while matching her moderate speed.
Chloe risked a single glance up through Dawn 1’s visor and noted their daughter Charlotte sat on her father’s lap and eagerly gripping the column. She smiled as affection almost overwhelmed her and nearly caused her to miss her turning. Her swerve caused the sleeping triplets to stir and she pulled up beside the already landed spaceship.

“Welcome back.” Chloe squealed as she flung her arms around his neck.”

“Sorry I couldn’t warn you, The hospital said you were in theatre.”

“I was,” Chloe explained, “so how long are you home for and when are you going back?”

“Oh that’s nice; trying to get rid of me already.”

“Stoppit!” She protested, “you know I didn’t mean it like that. Help me get the triplets in.”

“Where’s the nanny?”

“She stopped to get some essentials. She’ll be here in a few minutes.”

“You know you’re never supposed to be alone. Get into Dawn now. The guards have strict instructions.”

“Oh for heaven’s sake Charlie, we haven’t had the slightest whiff of anybody!”

“Has your guard ever left you alone before?”

“No.”

“But suddenly, on the very same day that I come home, the guard chooses to buy some essentials. Something stinks! Quickly grab the triplets, Charlotte, come here now please.”

Having already experienced a determined attempt on Charlie’s life at the hotel in Singapore, Chloe needed no extra encouragement. She dashed to the hover-car to collect her triplets while Charlie sprinted to round up Charlotte from the garden. Within minutes the family were secure inside Dawn and airborne even as Chloe spotted the unidentified hover-van racing across the outback.

From the armour-plated ship Chloe frowned angrily as she recognised the occupants emerge and point some heavy fifty-calibre rifles at the Dawn 1. She then heard the shells clattering noisily against the hull before ricocheting away, and she had cause to be thankful for Dawn 1’s armoured hull.

Very quickly, Charlie ascended out of range and once safe they set a course for Woomera research base where they were sure of protection. On route, he checked with Chloe.

“Did you recognise any of them?”

“Only the guard I left to buy essentials. The other two wore masks.”

“I wonder why they thought they’d get away with it.” Chloe wondered.

“They damned near did.” Charlie cursed. “If we hadn’t already been in or near Dawn 1, they would have caught us.

“That guard was one of the new recruits to replace Laura, Sally and Jacky when they transferred to Woomera.”

“Right, phone Inspector Margaret Thomas and warn her. Now they have lost their cover, they might kill her as well. In any event, they won’t stay in Hammersley.”

“Already on to it,” Chloe affirmed, “d’ you think they know about Coach?”

“I hope not,” Charlie replied, “or I’ll have to remove all my workshop equipment to a new location. Coach is the best place unless it’s been compromised.”
“Well I’ve never mentioned it to anybody,” Chloe declared, “and I know how tight-lipped you are, so unless somebody’s stumbled across it by accident, it should still be safe.”

“Well, I’m not going there now, that would be inviting discovery. For now, we can stay in Woomera until they root out the enemies at Hammersley.

“They flew in silence for a few minutes then Chloe suddenly exclaimed.

“Shit! In all the excitement I clean forgot. Two things; firstly I’ve got a surgeon who’s agreed to do the testicular transplant for Juliet and secondly; the Singapore authorities have requested your attendance at the trial of your would-be assassin.”

“We’d best run that second one by Katie and the PM, especially after this latest mess.

“For the rest of the flight, Chloe was busy with the triplets while Charlotte sat on her daddy’s lap as they continued to Woomera.

ooo000ooo

up
139 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Lucky for Charlie, a lifetime

leeanna19's picture

Lucky for Charlie, a lifetime of suspicion saved their lives. If it were me I'd have landed Dawn 1 on their heads and squished them.

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

He Could

joannebarbarella's picture

Participate by Zoom (I assume they have it in this future world).

Error on the side of caution

Jamie Lee's picture

When they are flying around the solar system, visiting planets of unknown activity, it's always best they error on the side of caution. Doing so could be the difference between life and death.

Aw, not again! Another attempt to grab Chloe and Charlie. Charlie could have easily brought Dawn down and squished them all, had he have been that type of person.

So who at Hammersley is in on the attempted kidnapping? It seems it's time to take out those hell bent on grabbing Charlie and/or his family. And make it a big statement so those of like mind get the message.

Others have feelings too.