The Feminine Queendom 51

Printer-friendly version

The Feminist Queendom Charlie’s War 51

© Beverly Taff

List of Characters.

Charlie Sage Maths and electronics genius.
Shirley Sage Charlies elderly mother
Chloe Charlie’s one time early school friend.
Josephine Flint Surgeon and associate of Chloe’s.
Mrs Jane Anston Director of Anston Aerospace.
Ronnie Garage mechanic at top of lane
Pauline Garage owner, Ronnie’s sister.
Briony Pauline’s teenaged daughter.
Billy Pauline’s middle son.
Abigail (Abby) Pauline’s youngest daughter.
‘Poppy’ Charlie’s little micro-runabout.
‘Doris’ The armoured mobile home.
‘Lady’ Chloe’s Sports Car.
Dawn Charlie’s armoured spaceship.
Colonel Wilson Vindictive misanthropist doctor.
Margaret Thomas ‘Failed’ police security guard.
Sally. 1st Oz Special forces trooper
Jacky 2nd Oz Special forces trooper.
Juliet Charlie’s Mal engineering assistant.
Laura The second mate of the Second Dawn
Kate (Katherine Bergson) The Australian defence minister.
Lieutenant Engadine Asi Charlie’s second prisoner.

Chapter 51

From the intensive care unit window, Charlie watched the PM’s plane depart with the PM and the defence minister returning to Canberra.
Lieutenant Engadine Asi stood beside him with her drips and sensors still attached then as the plane gradually disappeared into the skies, Charlie turned to her.

“You’d better get back into bed. I know your skull isn’t cracked but you’ve had a brief concussion and there’s bruising inside your cranium.”

“Are you staying here Sir?” She asked Charlie.

“Yes. I’ll be sleeping in that cot and I’ve collected a gun from the armoury. It’s chained to my body belt so I can’t be easily disarmed.”

“Who wants me dead?” She demanded.

“I – don’t – know!” he replied slowly and firmly to emphasise his concerns. “I was hoping you’d be able to tell me. There’s something you’re not telling me.”

“I don’t feel safe here.”

“Neither do I,” Charlie replied. “I want you out of here ASAP!”

“The doctor said three days observation.”

“Yes. He’s right. My wife Chloe is a trauma surgeon and those were her rules in the mining clinic and emergency room. I’m afraid your stuck with me until then.”

“Is she really your wife? As in the old-fashioned way?”

“Yes.”

“She told me she has children.”

“That’s right, I’m their father. We have a single older daughter then triplets.”
“Where are they when you and your wife are galivanting around in that ship of yours?”

“They’re safe, that’s all you need to know.”

“What did the judge say when you got married?”

“We weren’t married by a judge or a minister. The registrar did it.”

“What’s a registrar?”

“It’s the way they still do it in the UQ. The position still exists back there.”

“What!! You got married in the UQ. I thought it was illegal over there men are virtually treated like slaves or animals.”

“Tell me about it.”

“No! You tell me about it, how did you even escape the UQ?”

“It’s a long story, go back to sleep.”

“No, I want to know?”

“Lieutenant; you are my prisoner. I should be asking the questions but it’s too early yet. Get some rest, I know I need some.”

“It’s the middle of the afternoon.”

“Then good afternoon, I’m going to sleep. Don’t worry or get any ideas of escaping, I’m an exceptionally light sleeper.”

“When you wake up, I want to hear your story.”

“There’ll be time enough for that. We’re here for three days. Perhaps you might give a true version of your origins. So far you’ve told me nothing.”

Charlie slept intermittently as the routines of the ICU pierced noisily through his sleep. Eventually Chloe and Juliet came calling and quietly asked him what the plan was. Charlie took them out of earshot from the lieutenant and explained.

“Firstly, I’m worried for this lieutenant’s safety so I’m staying here until it’s safe to move her. What do you two want to do?”

“I want to get back to Woomera to see how Dawn Two is progressing,” Juliet revealed.

“And I want to see the children, Charlotte will be wondering where I am.”

“Okay. Chloe, take Dawn and deliver Juliet to Woomera, then go to Western Australia, collect the kids from Margaret. Stay with them then bring them back here when this Lieutenant Asi is ready to leave. That will be in three days or so.”

“Are you just going to stay here doing nothing?” Chloe asked.

“I’m guarding her. Something’s not right and I’m trying to get to the bottom of it.”

“You be careful Charlie. The news is all round the base that you put that bully down with one punch. The feminista faction are after your blood.”

“And the other faction?” Charlie grinned.

“Well she wasn’t very popular but she was still a woman. No woman likes to see a woman beaten up by a man.”

“Yeah. Who nearly beat that young lieutenant prisoner to death. I’m forced to wonder why she tried to kill her, being as we’re desperate for information. Is that bully in custody?”

“No. I saw her coming out of the security block as we were coming here.”

“Jesus Christ! Something’s not right. You two stay here While I get hold of the general.”

“He’s gone down to HMAS Diamond to look at the remains of the jet you captured. They’re taking it to Woomera to assess it.”

“That’s a total waste of bloody time.” Charlie cursed. “They’ve already got my permission down in Woomera to build fighters using my anti-gravity engines. I’ll be onto supplying them with engines as soon as this Lieutenant Asi business is cleared up.”

“How long before we’ve got planes that can match those intruder aircraft.?” Juliet asked.

“Pretty much as soon as I’ve built the engines. We can even retrofit the anti-gravs to a normal jet and give it much higher performance if we’re that desperate. It won’t go into space though. The planes are not airtight. For now, that’s my realm. Manoeuvrability in space stays with me until I’ve got what I want.”

“Which is?” Juliet asked.

“Equality!” Chloe answered for Charlie. “They’ve debated the Bill in Canberra, it’s soon to become law after the Senate is forced to ratify it.”

“Forced to?” Juliet asked.

“They’ve little choice now.” Charlie opined. “Oz is definitely under threat and the prize of antigravity is too big to forego. It means they’ll have infinitely better kit to defend themselves and access to space.”

“Yeah. I can’t wait to get command of Dawn Two,” Juliet grinned.

“Yes. It’s yours for the taking.” Charlie allowed. “But for now, I need your help. Stay with Lieutenant Asi until I get back. I might be a few hours.”

“I’ll stay as well,” Chloe added. “She’ll feel safer with two familiar faces.”

“Okay, but you be careful darling. I don’t want our kids to end up motherless.”

“Are you serious?” Chloe gasped.

“I just don’t know. If I’m not happy, I’m getting Lieutenant Engadine Asi out of this hospital and off this base. Wish me luck!”

“Be quick,” Chloe urged.

“And take care.” Juliet added.

ooo000ooo

“Send him in,” the general ordered.”

“Good evening general, do I address you as Ma-am.”

“That’s not necessary in the privacy of my office Captain. What can I do for you?”

“Straight to the point General. I’m concerned about the safety and security of my prisoner, Lieutenant Engadine Asi.”

“Why is that?”

“There is no security on the ISU ward she’s occupying, in fact I’m actually protecting her myself. With this no less!”

Charlie revealed the large calibre pistol secured to the metal belt around his waist.

“Good God! There’s no need for that! You'd better give it to me.”

“Sorry General; no can do. I cleared it with the PM and her defence minister. They also have expressed their fears. That is why the other captured pilot has been taken to Canberra.”

“So what do you think the danger to your prisoner is?”

“That’s just it General. I keep coming up with the same answer to lots of troubling questions and that answer is, I – don’t – know.”

“Well, I think your fears are unfounded. We’ve increased the security.”

Charlie was unconvinced for he had seen no sign of any increased activity nor had he seen any increase in guards patrolling the base. He made a pretence of accepting the General’s word and asked for a letter of permission for him to carry his side-arm.

“I think that’s a bit backward,” the general observed, “you’re already carrying it.”

“Nevertheless, I don’t think a lot of your ordinary soldiers would recognise my hand-written permit letter from the PM. I’d like a pass signed by you.”

“Oh very well. I think you’re making an un-necessary fuss.”

“Ma-am!” Charlie became a bit more formal. “There has already been an attempt to kill the prisoner without leaving too much evidence unless the body had a sub cranial exam. The thug who tried to beat my prisoner to death knew what she was doing! Furthermore, that thug is still roaming freely around the base! My gun pass please!”

The general was not much enamoured with Charlie’s demeanour but his top-level connections to Canberra were too much of an obstacle to circumvent. Reluctantly she signed out a gun pass and Charlie immediately re-belted his side arm to make it clearly visible.

It was no longer a concealed weapon and that served to demonstrate that there were now security issues on the base. An officer carrying a visible side arm was not a common sight; especially when entering the hospital wing.

Having failed to ease his own suspicions and uncertainty, Charlie hot-footed it back to the ICU to re-join Chloe and Juliet.

“That sergeant is still moving freely around the base. I’m going to contact the PM. I want lieutenant Asi out of here immediately.”

Chloe nodded and passed Charlie her mobile phone. This was because the feminista laws were still in force and men were not allowed personal communications. They could use institutional equipment associated with any job they held. but private mobile phones were forbidden. This meant that the PM could not knowingly answer a call from Charlie unless it was from an official radio or phone. Ipso facto Charlie used Chloe’s mobile.

He got permission to move Lieutenant Asi upon confirming to the PM that Chloe herself was indeed a trauma surgeon who worked at the Hammersley Mining complex hospital that regularly dealt with serious head injuries.

“Very well Charlie. I’ll contact the base and order that the prisoner be transferred to – where is it you are taking her?”

“To Chloe’s trauma unit at the mine. It’s one of the best equipped in Western Oz. Above all, it’s safe. All the staff know and trust Chloe.”

“Very well, I’ll send the order countersigned by Katie the defence minister/”

“Thanks prime Minister.”

ooo000ooo

Two hours later, the chief medical officer for the base met Charlie at the door to the ICU.

“This is very unusual, but the letter tells me you’ve got legitimate concerns about the patient’s safety. I’m a bit disappointed with that.”

“So are we doctor,” Chloe interrupted but the evidence is clear to us that proper precautions are not being taken. Our prisoner does not even enjoy a properly posted guard at the door. Hence my husband feels forced to bear arms for which he has never been trained.”

“Will the lieutenant be getting proper care?”

“Of course she will. You can check with Canberra to confirm my medical credentials and also contact Hammersley Mining trauma clinic where I am the chief trauma consultant.”

“I’ve checked those already and spoken to one of your colleagues, very impressive doctor. How do you propose to move the patient?”

“By spaceship.” Charlie answered for his wife.

"A spaceship!" The doctor gasped.

"Yes. A spaceship; my spaceship."

Dawn’s arrival at the base had already generated huge interest and the surprised doctor was forced to accede to Chloe’s permissions.

“Very well Doctor Sage. The patient may travel.”

“Thank you.” Chloe responded. “We’ll leave immediately.”

“Very well Doctor Sage. I’ll get the ambulance.”

“That’s not necessary,” Charlie interjected, “I’ll get my spaceship.”

The surgeon frowned before asking, “Can I check what emergency facilities you have in your ‘space-ship’ please. I mean it’s several hours to Western Australia, even by jet.”

Charlie grinned.

“No doctor, I said spaceship. Do you understand what a spaceship is, and what a spaceship does.”

“Don’t try and be facetious with me Captain Sage.”

“I’m not being facetious Doctor. I am not some sort of uneducated male as perceived by your feminista friends and colleagues. That notorious spaceship parked on this base’s flight apron is mine. I researched the basic science that enables it to travel, very, very fast.

I also developed the maths and physics to explore the engineering that exploits that science and then I built the engines that utilises that engineering. I am not some sort of ignorant, un-educated animal that labours in the dirt and the dark, though; to tell the truth, I’ve often been there and I carry both the emotional and physical scars.

Now doctor. Put away your arrogant, over-achieving, academic persona and behave like a normal, courteous human being. If you can do that, I will invite you to see what the inside of a spaceship looks like. Would you like that?”

“Yes. Very much so.”

“Good, and if you’ve got the time, I could, if you’re prepared to travel, and after delivering my prisoner to a safe place in Western Australia, take you and my chief officer Juliet, to Woomera research station where I will be delivering him to inspect the next generational derivative of my science. Then, finally, I could deliver you back here, in time for a late tea or early supper.”

The medical officer’s jaw sagged as he did a quick sum in his head.

“You’d have to travel at several thousands of miles per hour to do that!”

“Between seven and ten kiloknots, to be exact. Depending on how long it takes to check my prisoner into my wife’s clinic and how long it takes to clear Juliet to return to Woomera. They tend to be a bit paranoid who they let in.”

“What’s a kiloknot?”

“A thousand knots, simple S.I. nomenclature.”

“That’s a new one.”

“Pretty obvious after it’s explained though. Now, if you’re up for a brief flight, you’d best come now.”

“I'm not sure the patient is fit to walk to the flight apron?”

“I'll bring my ship to her. It’s extremely versatile and manoeuvrable. I’ll land it by the casualty doors and Lieutenant Asi can enter via the clamshells. A simple case of a wheel chair and portable drip-feed.

ooo000ooo

up
127 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

something's rotten in Oz

the sooner they get to a place where they control the security the better

DogSig.png

No Phone!, that makes Oz

leeanna19's picture

No Phone!, that makes Oz worse that UQ, I think you said men could only have basic phones, no internet etc in UQ.
Love Charlies put down on the Doctor btw

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

No Phone!, that makes Oz

leeanna19's picture

Thanks for writing the next part so quickly. The story must be burning away inside you head , to come up with this so quickly.

cs7.jpg
Leeanna