The Feminine Queendom 63

Printer-friendly version

The Feminist Queendom Charlie’s War 63

© Beverly Taff

List of Characters.

Charlie Sage Maths and electronics genius.
Shirley Sage Charlies elderly mother
Chloe Charlie’s one time early school friend.
Josephine Flint Surgeon and associate of Chloe’s.
Mrs Jane Anston Director of Anston Aerospace.
Ronnie Garage mechanic at top of lane
Pauline Garage owner, Ronnie’s sister.
Briony Pauline’s teenaged daughter.
Billy Pauline’s middle son.
Abigail (Abby) Pauline’s youngest daughter.
‘Poppy’ Charlie’s little micro-runabout.
‘Doris’ The armoured mobile home.
‘Lady’ Chloe’s Sports Car.
Dawn Charlie’s armoured spaceship.
Colonel Wilson Vindictive misanthropist doctor.
Margaret Thomas ‘Failed’ police security guard.
Sally. 1st Oz Special forces trooper
Jacky 2nd Oz Special forces trooper.
Juliet Charlie’s Mal engineering assistant.
Laura The second mate of the Second Dawn
Kate (Katherine Bergson) The Australian defence minister.
Lieutenant Engadine Asi Charlie’s second prisoner.

Chapter 63.

Juliet finally awakened after Charlie and the Children had gone to the beach with their usual entourage of guards and Inspector Margaret Thomas.

When he eventually emerged, bleary eyed and unrefreshed, he was met by Chloe holding out a mug of coffee.
“Bad night love?” Chloe asked. “You look like shit!”

“What time is it?”

“Half ten, Charlie’s taken the kids swimming.”

“What’s he planning to do later.”

“Well he has to return you to Woomera then he buggers off to make engines.”

“What time’s he back from the swimming?”

“’Bout twelve so we’ve time for coffee before I go to the clinic.”

“D’you get many accidents?”

“Not really considering the nature of the work; mining and stuff. Today, I’ve got a paediatric clinic for the families at the mine.”

The mention of paediatrics caused more tears to sneak their way past Juliet’s defences and he turned to stare out of the window to try and hide them. Too late, Chloe noticed them and she touched his arm lightly.

“What’s wrong Julie?”

“Oh nothing.”

“Oh yes there is. Charlie found you with tears on the pillow last night. That’s why he didn’t wake you for Dinner. What’s wrong?”

“Has he been talking about me.”

“Yes; because he’s worried about you.”

“Huh, now there’s a rare bird. A man who worries about another man, sound’s like he’s got his own problems, sexuality problems.”

“Not at all Julie! Yes; Charlie’s a rare bird indeed, but you’ve got the plumage mixed up. He’s not got his sexuality mixed up, he’s just a man who’s walked the walk. Charlie’s straight, too straight at times. That’s why he doesn’t make friends easily.”

“So why did he choose to befriend me; a bloody Mal, a halfling, a castrated freak!”

“Oh come off it Julie, you more than most must know by now that Charlie judges what’s between the ears; not what’s between the legs.”

“That doesn’t reassure me Chloe. I’m still a castrated freak. All the friendship in the world can’t give me what I want.”

“Children?” Chloe softly answered for him.

Juliet nodded as he placed his coffee mug on the windowsill then clenched his fists impotently.

Chloe gently clutched his balled fists and took them to her lips.

“There is a way you know.”

“A way for what?” Julie croaked.

“A way for you to become a father.”

“What! Adoption? How would a Mal be allowed to adopt? What do these new laws say about us, the last of the freaks to benefit from the new legislation.”

“There is another way you know.”

“How?”

“Charlie and I were talking about it last night. It’s not a perfect solution but it’s slightly better than adoption.”

“You were talking about me!”

“Yes!” Chloe answered forcefully. “Of course we were talking about you, Charlie found you had been crying and he was naturally worried.”

“Worried?”

“Yes worried! And not just about your despair but your long-term future. If you are to become a spaceship captain, you shouldn’t have any lifestyle or existential issues.”

“What did he say about me, he’s no cause to worry about my sanity; - or my loyalty!”

“Oh but he has Julie. He has every cause to worry about you but; - and it’s a big but! He thinks he might have worked out a way to help you. He and I talked long into the night last night and we were talking about you!”

Julie turned to stare out of the window again as he took another sip from his cooling coffee mug. The emotional lump in his throat made it difficult to swallow but after swirling the chilled liquid around his mouth he eventually forced it down.

Finally he found his voice again.

“Does Charlie know you’re talking to me now.”

“He suggested it. The subject’s a bit too delicate for him to attempt. He thought a doctor would be better equipped to broach it; a doctor who’s also a family friend; - me.”

“Is that why he buggered off swimming?”
“Not entirely, the kids more or less badgered him to take them. He is their dad after all.”

“That’s bloody cruel you bitch!”

“Oh shit!” Chloe cursed as she realised what she had just said. “I’m sorry! Please! It came out wrong! Just wait! Give me a chance Julie!”

She grabbed him by the arm and squeezed hard to emphasise her intent.

“Just listen, please! I chose a totally wrong word then, I’m sorry. But listen to what I have to say! Pleease!”

“This had better be good!” Julie almost hissed as he paused tensely.”

“It might be good, but I can’t make a promise. I can’t guarantee this’ll work.”

Curiosity piqued Juliet’s interest and he turned to rest his butt against the worktop whilst folding his arms somewhat defensively.

“What? What might not work?”

“Have you ever heard of something called a testicular transplant.”

Juliet paused as she contemplated the expression.

“What? You mean like transplanting somebody else’s balls; into my scrotum?”

“Yes, that’s exactly what I mean.”

“Can that be done? I mean there’s donor compatibility and stuff isn’t there? And I still wouldn’t be the father would I? The donor would be the father, biologically I mean.”

“Yes. There’s no denying that; but!”

“But what? There’s always a but!”

“Well; if you knew the father and counted him as a friend would that situation meet you halfway?”

Juliet stared hard at Chloe.

“Are you thinking of Charlie?”

“Frankly, yes.”

“Charlie! Seriously, he’d castrate himself just for me.”

“No, no! Not castrate himself; no, he’d donate one testicle.”

“Could just one ball work?”

“If it takes, yes. They’re just like kidneys, one of nature’s back-up systems. One testicle makes sufficient testosterone. There’s just one question.”

“Oh, oh; go on.”

“Before you were castrated did you get erections.”

“Did I ever! And orgasms!”

“That’s good, it means your body won’t need to mature as it were. You engine already works, we just need to put fuel in your tank.”

“You put it so delicately. And you say Charlie told you last night; you know, he’s prepared to donate one of his balls.”

“Yes.”

“Jeeze” That’s what I call true friendship.”

“That’s the best he can do though biologically, any children will still have his genes but legally, they will be your children. Do you like our children?”

“Heck yes, they’re all smart kids, and pretty.”

“Well, that’s pretty much what you’ll father plus whoever the mother is.”

Once again, Juliet started to tear up but this time Chloe knew they were tears of happiness and gratitude. She reached out to hug him and once again cautioned him about the chances of failure.

When Charlie returned from the beach with the children he immediately sensed the happier atmosphere and only had to raise his eyebrows questioningly.

“I take it it’s a yes then?”

Juliet’s eyes were still sticky with tears as he lurched forward to embrace Charlie. There was no need for words. Chloe watched the unusual exhibition for she had never seen Charlie actually touch a man before; leastways not in an emotional context. Careful not to destroy the moment, she took the usual conversational route.

“Tea then? Or something stronger.”

Charlie mouthed ‘Tea’ over Julie’s shoulder as his chief officer and friend continued squeezing him. For want of not impinging too much on the intensity of the moment, Chloe busied herself with the tea and biscuits and it was only when she started pouring that the friends separated.

“So,” she exclaimed, “to business. I can answer most of your questions but we’ll need a urologist for the surgery. I’ll have to hunt around for one that does such transplants, there’s been very little call for it since the feminista laws were enacted.

ooo000ooo

Having drawn some comfort from Chloe and Charlie’s offer, Juliet accompanied Charlie back to Woomera research station and the pair completed their final inspection of the ‘Dawn Two’

“What d’ you think?” Charlie asked Juliet.

“I can’t wait to take her up. I see the control system is pretty much identical to Dawn’s.”

“Ergonomics Julie,” Charlie observed. “The simpler the system, the more interchangeable the crews.”

“It’s pretty much self-explanatory,” Julie replied as they completed their inspection. “So shall we do a tethered lift test?”

“Why not?” Charlie concurred. “I’ll ask the yard to roll back the roof so we’ve got a clear shot at the sky. If she’s well behaved, they can lengthen the tether.”

“Will she be that lively?”

“She’s got a hell of a lot more power than Dawn. Think show-jumping stallion to a Falabella gelding.”

Juliet chuckled. “If you’d mentioned geldings this morning I'd have thrown a wobbly.”

“We’re not out of the woods yet, Chloe’s got to find a competent urologist. Anyway let’s get back to this business. I’ll do the communication you take the stick.”

“After clearing for the test, the building shed roof and sides were rolled back and Dawn Two stood ready on the pad.

“Okay,” Charlie called. “Inch the stick up very slowly.”

Juliet obliged and Dawn Two ascended without a sound. When he released the ascend button, the ship stopped rock steady above the pad and Charlie checked through the landing viewer.

“She hasn’t deviated a millimetre. She’s directly above the spot. Bring her down back to the pad.”

Juliet obliged and both of them double checked the landing position. Dawn Two was exactly in position.

“Spot on. That means the antigravs are perfectly balanced for lift and vertical. Lock the docking co-ordinates in then we’ll see about lateral movement.”

“They asked the ground crew to remove the tether then, ever so slowly, Juliet eased her into the sky.”

“We’re away boss.”

“Good, try a circuit of the base perimeter. Slowly mind; dead easy on the stick.”

For the remainder of the afternoon, the pair ran single trials with Dawn Two then Charlie transferred to Dawn and they ran comparison trials.

As the sun set, there was cause for celebration all around the base. Dawn Two had been entirely Woomera’s baby except for Charlie’s six larger engines. Before the pair retired to the accommodation block, Charlie and Juliet made sure their precious charges were secure.

As they supped that evening a grinning Juliet turned to Charlie.

“So tomorrow?”

“You can try going into space. Wear a spacesuit mind, while you check for leaks. I’ll tag along as backup.”

“Do I take her to the moon.”

“If she’s airtight, yes, why not?”

Juliet’s smile widened into a ‘shit-faced’ grin as he contemplated a landing.

“I could transport the first part of Moon base Alpha.

Dawn Two’s big enough to deliver it. We place it in the most suitable part of the station in the Shackleton Crater at the south pole, perpetually shaded from the blistering solar radiation while the rim of the crater is in perpetual sunlight. If we get there first, and we will, Moon-base Alpha will have all the benefits of permanent shade and protection from the solar rays while solar ovens placed at the top of the crater’s rim will provide permanent sources of heat and therefore electricity.”

“Nice and cosy,” Charlie joshed. “Well, I’m ready for bed, are you taking anybody with you tomorrow?”

“I was thinking, Laura, Chloe’s favourite guard. She's stationed here at Woomera for pilot training purposes. She’s already done a couple of flights with you in Dawn.”

“Yeah, she’s a good choice and she’s pretty level-headed in a fight.”

“Why? Are you expecting trouble?”

“No, but everybody knows we’re flying regularly to the moon. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a Chinese or Pacifica republic flag stuck into the Shackleton crater as some sort of desperate attempt to lay an early claim to the site. It’s by far the best location for a moon-base. I don’t expect to see any signs of a station though.”

“Maybe a lunar hiking tent or something.” Juliet chuckled.

“No way. When I was last a’ moon, I checked the crater, nothing, Nahda.”

“That’s a new one, a Charlieism is it?”

“It’s good shorthand to describe when one is on the moon.”

“You’ll kill me one day with your expressions. Oh; are you taking a co-pilot?”

“I’ll find out if Lieutenant Asi is available.”

“Is she safe?”

“Don’t worry, Dawns one and two are both locked into me and you for security. Nobody else can hijack them. They’re programmed to return to Woomera if there’s any untoward activity.”

“I’d still watch my back though.”

“I don’t think so Julie. She’s as keen to become a space miner as everybody else. Rich pickings for the first few years until there’s a glut of what where once rare-earth metals. And remember; to be a space-miner you first have to be a spacer.”

“Another one of your euphemisms?” Juliet grinned.

“There’s a whole new universe out there now Julie and a whole new language.”

ooo000ooo

up
128 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

There's friendship for you.

leeanna19's picture

There's friendship for you. No greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down a ball for his friends.
Perhaps Julie should go back to his old male name now. I didn't know about testicle transplants.
Because of ethical concerns about parenthood it is not done often. Brothers and twins have undergone this though.

I know women have the gift of growing life withing them, but men make little wriggling moving life that is determined to fulfill a purpose .
Life made in a descended womb and it keeps getting made into old age. Amazing

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

As the saying goes……

D. Eden's picture

Charlie apparently would give his left testicle for what he wants, lol.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

well since it's technically

well since it's technically going to be Charlie's kid genetically anyway it would be easier and safer to just donate the sperm but i suppose psychologically it would be better this way for Juliet.

Most certainly.

There's no suppose about it GR. If Juliet is to share and enjoy a supportive and intimate relationship, conducive to rearing his children in a protective and supportive family relationship. Intimacy between the parents is one of the fundamental glues to that whole concept. Children must see that relationship working properly as well.

bev_1.jpg

Having a testicle would

leeanna19's picture

Having a testicle would produce enough testosterone to make him virile. I read up on it Beverly , which you did obviously .
Apparently it can be done, but ethically it's a minefield because, as you said, the donated testicle produces sperm with the DNA of the man it originated from. One man had part of his removed as he was suffering from cancer. The treatment would make him sterile. He had the removed tissue replaced and I believe father a child.

Fascinating, I never expected that twist in the story.

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

Didn't See That Coming

joannebarbarella's picture

That's a true friend for you.

A lot happier

Jamie Lee's picture

Julie is a lot happier at the prospect of maybe being able to father a child. If, if the transplant is successful.

Now that Dawn 2 functions surprise 2 is ready to give what for if necessary. Especially given it has proper ports to shot through if necessary.

Going to the moon and getting a base started is really going to tick off a lot of people royally. However, there isn't much they can do to prevent it from happening. If they could, it would take them days to even get to the moon, where Charlie would take a few hours.

Others have feelings too.