Tammy:Moving On - Chapter 22 "Going Nuclear"

Printer-friendly version
Moving On  

Part
 
Twenty Two

 

"Going Nuclear"

 

 
Saturday 6th May 2017
 

Tammy went back to the office as she hadn't managed to clear the current backlog of work. She'd worked enough Saturday mornings to know that the phone wouldn't normally ring, it certainly helped that the office was advertised as closed at weekends.

She'd cleared the email inbox by eleven and was on top of the snail mail, although she was already scheduling visits for the next week, trying to fit them around her university course. A couple of potential new clients required time that she'd have trouble finding.

The secure room was unlocked and the grab bag was sitting on the floor in a corner, very contrary to Kerri's instructions. She had a few other ideas but was pretty sure that her American friend wouldn't care for them either. Right now, only Tammy had access to the office, which gave her a week to find somewhere better.

She'd noted that there wasn't a tool kit in the bag, no knife, scissors, screwdrivers or even a bottle opener. She logged onto her usual online shopping website and ordered a pair of multi tools, one for her usual shoulder bag and one for the grab bag. There were a variety of colour options so a pink and blue pair were ordered, delivery would be five days apparently.

Tammy had her second mug of coffee, and a half eaten packet of Hob Nobs in front of her, when the secure phone rang.

"Err, yes?"

"Tammy, it's Marcus."

"Oh, hi."

"I got a notification from the base security office at Wattisham that someone had checked on Lt. Colonel Cooper?"

"It wasn't me, or at least it wasn't really me."

"Tammy, I can't watch your back if you don't keep me in the loop."

"I know, but I can't always know where you are or what number to call. In any case, it seemed appropriate that I called the Security Service with my query."

"Which was?"

"I held interviews yesterday for the post of an office administrator. At least I invited four but only one got as far as an actual interview. It turned out that John Cooper is her father, at least I think she's a she."

"Didn't you ask?"

"No, but does it matter? Gender is largely irrelevant these days, isn't it? Anyway her driving licence goes down to a female, or so I was told."

"In that case, there's a problem waiting to happen."

"She doesn't like her father, he's separated from her mother."

"Even so, if the connection is made then Cooper might decide to pay you a visit."

"Is that likely?"

"He's made enquiries of his own, but was warned to keep his nose out. He does think you got off lightly."

"Perhaps he'll think twice before pulling a stunt like that?"

"Unlikely, but the suggestion is that he won't be made up to full Colonel anytime soon."

"And will no doubt blame me for his problems?"

"Yes, although his ego came off worst so he might be transferred."

"Whereas the MPs ruined my suit, that's two hundred quid I'm owed!"

"Look, right now you are leaving yourself open to a major security breach."

"I've done a counter-terrorism check but I can't do any more without Joey's co-operation."

"Then, Tammy, we'll clear her, or not."

"How?"

"Do you have any government clients?"

"Not at the moment, but I've picked up an enquiry from some of the Dounreay decommissioning team asking for office space and accommodation."

"Well, given that it's a nuclear site you can tell Ms Cooper that she'll need clearance in order to handle that."

"Okay, but if you ask me to consider hiring anyone else then she was the best qualified. She applied two weeks ago, that's well before I met Lt Colonel Cooper."

"True, but it's still a risk. If your security is compromised then you are history, understood?"

"Yes, Marcus."

"Now, is there anything else of note?"

Tammy glanced to the backpack. She made the decision to keep that to herself.

"Just what you know."

"Fine, I hope nothing else comes up."

"So do I."

"Now, do you have details of those threatening faxes?"

"Yes."

"I'll send you an email with a five minute code, follow the link and upload the images. You do have them scanned?"

"Yes, which email account are you using?"

"For simplicity on this occasion it'll be your office email."

"Okay, that's the PC where the images are stored."

"That I guessed. Got to go, bye."

"Bye."

So, Kerri had sent the bag without telling Marcus. Tammy wondered; did Kerri know something Tammy should, but couldn't tell, or was she just simply trying to help without being obvious? Also, was she being sensible in employing Joey?

Marcus had a vested interest in keeping Tammy out of trouble whereas she knew she was very capable of causing mayhem without even trying.

Her office email pinged but the first one was from Joey with a National Insurance number. Tammy quickly replied.

From: Smart Properties
To: Joey Cooper
Date: 6th May 2017
Subject: re: my NINo

Hi Joey,

Thanks for that. Can you let me know how you'd like to be addressed. I need to order some business cards for you?

Also I have a new client who's insisting on security clearance for anyone visiting their offices, so I'd like you to complete a security questionnaire. I'll forward the email when I get it.

Yours,

Tammy

Her emails pinged again as two emails arrived. The first was a weird email address but it did have a time limited link, she clicked on it and let the antivirus package check the site for malware. A button asked her to upload documents so she did as asked.

Back in her emails was a link from the Government Security Directorate with a request to complete a security questionnaire. She forwarded this without further comment.

Another ping sent her back to the inbox.

From: Joey Cooper
To: Smart Properties
Date: 6th May 2017
Subject: re: my NINo

Hi Tammy,

For the business cards I'm not a fan of Miss, Ms, Mr or anything else, I'm just plain simple Joey. Okay for the clearance, I guess you have already done yours'?

Joey

By midday she'd had enough and packed up, ensuring the doors were locked and the alarm was activated; outside puddles were forming. Before she went home, however, Tammy decided to do a bit of shopping. She did like known brand names, labels that meant something, but right now she needed a set of nondescript clothing in order to merge into the masses.

That meant avoiding Sarah's boutique and hitting the other clothing stores. She paid attention to what she was spending in each store and used her card once, otherwise using cash. Within an hour she had a complete outfit with a change of tops and undies. She'd found soft non-wired bras that could be folded into a small bundle and put into a zip bag, taking up minimal space whilst keeping them fresh. There wasn't a brand logo on any of her new clothing or her simple trainers, nothing to make her stand out.

As an afterthought she picked up a pair of glasses that had minimal correction and a pair of common sunglasses. Tammy next went to the cosmetics and hygiene section to put together a small cosmetic bag and toiletrie kit. All off-brands, but suitable. At the last minute she went into a food store to replace the Hob Nobs that she'd nibbled on, purchasing some food storage bags at the same time.

For once she was grateful for the inclement weather as it had made her shopping easier in the quiet town centre. She dropped the bags in the boot of her car and headed home.

 
Monday 8th May 2017
 

"I'm not writing another prescription until we've checked your bloods."

Tammy's supply of HRT had run out over the weekend so she made an urgent phone call to her GP as soon as it opened on Monday morning. The receptionist had refused to process a repeat prescription and Tammy was now mid-argument with Dr Adelaide Sutherland.

"But Adi, I've been busy."

"It's Dr Sutherland, and I seem to recall that when you're busy your body takes a hit. You're seeing me at ten tomorrow."

"I ..." The line went dead.

She gave up and drove into the University. Tammy had enjoyed an easier time the previous week and that continued, with more of the students being pleasant. Tammy did wonder whether Lorna and Corrine's forced absence has improved the atmosphere. She spoke to Ben before the class got under way.

"I have a Doctor's appointment in the morning, I'll be late."

"Oh, couldn't you reschedule?"

"My GP was quite insistent."

"Okay, we're revising all week so hopefully you won't miss much?"

"I should be here by half ten."

"Fair enough."

Ben called everyone to order and reminded them of the next few weeks.

"First year exams start on the twenty-second of this month and we start the second year from Tuesday the thirtieth. Term ends on the seventeenth of next month."

"What about half term?" Asked one of the lads.

"You're not at school now, you are expected to be here from Tuesday the 30th, the Monday is a bank holiday."

"Yeah, but I'm going away."

"Then you should have checked, sorry but if you're absent then you could be refused permission to return in September."

Ben returned to his papers. "Right, today we're examining the method by which laws are created, particularly those with judicial powers. I believe you touched on this in October last year so do check your own notes."

Tammy had her notebooks with her so skimmed back to the right pages, the tutor for that session had been Donald Templeton, or whatever his name was currently. She thought back to that time when Tom Lucas had tried to prevent a show in the theatre, to spite Tammy, and a man had been electrocuted in the process. It hadn't been an easy ride through the university this year, but she hoped the second year would be easier now that the real troublemakers had been removed and that, maybe, she could move on with her studies in peace.

Her agreement with the Security Service included making herself available for training, and perhaps some work, during the summer months and she was now six weeks away from the end of year. They were still paying her, albeit a reduced salary, so she wasn't in a hurry to take money out of her business, but what of Broadsword? She couldn't be in two places at once.

She'd also agreed to work with the Security Service for a couple of years once she graduated, would that cause a problem for Marcus and co?

Over by the lectern, Ben was talking about government committees and white papers, it wasn't an enthralling subject.

She was done at the University by twelve thirty so went off to the office. Joey had emailed to confirm she'd completed the security questionnaire but still wasn't certain why an estate agency administrator should need one. Tammy had an email from the Government Security Directorate confirming they had received the questionnaire. Tammy knew what her clearance was but wasn't certain what level had been applied for Joey, she found it in the original email from Saturday morning - Joey had applied to be cleared to 'SC' level, meaning she could potentially handle Secret material. However, that was on a need to know basis and there were many things that Joey didn't need to know.

Tammy's supply of business cards was running low so she pulled up the design and decided it didn't need any changes. She hadn't ordered any for Suzie but thought Joey should have one, a quick update to her own cards added Joey's mobile number and the standard admin email, alongside the office number. She pinged both to her printer on Mill Lane, ordering two hundred and fifty of each card.

 
Tuesday 9th May 2017
 

Tammy dropped by her office and took the contents of the boot inside. She had removed all the tags and washed them, after checking that the fit was okay, although she'd deliberately bought the sport top a size bigger than normal. She folded everything and put it into bags, sealing them. She had to thread the laces on the trainers. Velcro fasteners may go quicker, but wouldn't ensure a secure fit. Everything went into the grab bag. Tammy made note to add some kind of sport bars and energy gels for snacking. The hip belt pockets seemed to be right for those.

She locked up and drove around to the surgery.

"Those bruises are about a week old."

"More like ten days ago, Doctor."

"What have you been doing?"

"I can't say, sorry, and I doubt I'll be doing that again in the near future."

"Well, I should be grateful for small mercies, but you don't look after yourself."

"I'm fit."

"That's to be determined, let's have some blood."

Tammy left the surgery with a prescription for a month but was to call the surgery in a week's time to get the results, she dropped into the pharmacy on her way to the university, spotting a familiar face by the counter.

"Oh, Mum, what are you doing?"

"I could ask the same, but as I'm in a pharmacy holding a bundle of prescriptions, what do you think I'm doing?"

"Yeah, I guess that's the school's lot?"

"Yes." Joan folded the paperwork over so Tammy couldn't see any of the names.

"How's Linda doing?"

"Fine, she's starting her GCSE exams shortly."

"Oh, okay."

"You could come up to the school every now and again?"

"I'm short of time, plus it doesn't seem right, I'm not there any more."

A pharmacy assistant had finished dealing with another customer and took Joan's bundle.

"Some of these will take time to put together, can you pop back in half an hour?"

"That's a bit awkward."

"Mum, I'm only going to be at the university for an hour and a half, two hours at the most, so I could pick this up on my way back into town."

"Hmmm, okay."

Joan spoke to the assistant and left, giving Tammy a wave. Tammy handed over her prescription and offered to pick that up at the same time. She walked outside as Joan pulled away, although Tammy didn't recognise the car.

Her phone rang as she pulled into the carpark at the university. "Hello?"

"Hello Miss Smart, it's Tom Miller at Miller's Copy Shop. I have your printing ready for collection."

"Okay, I'll be with you at lunchtime."

"Fine."

Tammy hadn't appeared to have missed much when she arrived at ten thirty, although Freddie Flint was looking after the group.

"You're late."

"I had an appointment, Ben knew."

"Mr Franklin isn't well today."

Tammy took her seat, they were still going through the passage of bills through parliament, so it was clear Ben had at least been able to pass that information on. Tammy's noted from months earlier confirmed the group had only gone one page further than the previous day, slow progress indeed.

At least there weren't any interruptions, at least none of the major disruption that Lorna and her troop had created, maybe that was why progress seemed to be so slow?

Tammy hadn't been there long when the morning break bell rang. Freddie wanted a word.

"I did have permission."

"No, Miss Smart, I believe you. What I wanted to know is whether any of the problems that you predicted have happened?"

"With Ben?"

"Yes."

"Only over the first few days after he started here, there's not been a problem since then."

"So your concerns were groundless?"

"Not at all, I guess I've been lucky."

The door opened and two of the university security guards walked in.

"Miss Smart?"

"Yes."

"We'd like to search your bag."

"Why?"

"There's been an allegation you are carrying a weapon."

"Who?"

"We're not at liberty to say."

"Go on, take a look." Tammy took the bag off her shoulder and handed it over.

"What's this?"

"A rape alarm, it's single use and over a hundred decibels."

"And this?"

"A security marker, it's only visible with ultra violet light."

The rummage continued but it was clear that Tammy had no weapons.

"Sorry Miss."

"Now will you tell me who accused me?"

"It was anonymous."

"So you didn't think it might be vexatious?"

"Yes, but we have to take all threats seriously."

"Do you remember Lorna Kirk and Corrine Travers, who damaged a car last month?"

"Yes."

"That was my car."

"I see."

"Yes, someone is trying to make my life difficult. If I find out who that is, it'll be my turn to make their lives lousy."

The two security guards decided to withdraw, Freddie had been stood behind Tammy throughout.

"Is that the sort of thing that happens to you?"

"Not often, but that's pretty mild compared to some things that have happened to me."

"Like what?"

"Attempts on my life, attempted kidnapping, assault, that sort of thing."

"And your only protection is a rape alarm?"

"Yeah, it's not as if I could walk around with a firearm, is it?"

"Not in this country, fortunately. Go get yourself a coffee, don't worry if you're a few minutes adrift."

Tammy opted for a hot chocolate, with extra cream and sprinkles. She needed comfort food and this was the closest she could find.

The session continued but Tammy was adding very little to her existing notes and she was pleased to get out at lunchtime. As she was exiting the room, the Vice Chancellor was on his way in. He nodded at Tammy and headed for Freddie Flint. Tammy continued heading out but walked around her car before getting in.

She drove across to Mill Lane and pulled up outside Miller's Copy Shop. A large sign outside said there was a unit to let.

"I'm here for my business cards."

"Sure, Miss Smart, that's twenty quid."

Tammy handed over her office bank card and tapped in her PIN when the terminal asked.

"VAT receipt?"

"Yes please. I see you have a unit to let?"

"Yeah, it's a store room I don't need any more, it's five metres square and has a rear roller door."

"And it's shut off from the rest of the property?"

"It's bolted on the inside, but a separate bolt could be added on the other side, in addition to the key lock."

"I'm after somewhere to store a couple of hard discs for disaster recovery."

"Sure. There's a floor-standing safe in there, by the way. Would you like a look?"

Tom let Tammy through the counter and took her towards the rear of the building, past a couple of the large printers. They reached a door which he unlocked and unbolted.

The space wasn't huge but more than suitable for her needs, a simple concrete shell. The safe was a large, ancient, design. The roller door wasn't much over a metre wide, but was adequate.

"How much?"

"Fifty a week?"

"Forty, cash?"

"Done. I'd like a month up front."

"Sure, I'll even do two and get that to you tomorrow or the next. Can you fit an extra bolt?"

"Yeah."

Tammy collected her printing and headed for the pharmacy. She collected the bag of prescribed drugs. Tammy couldn't help take a peek in the process at the names, spotting a bag for Lyndon Smythe, although the label sealing the bag didn't specify the drug.

up
388 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Getting Ready

joannebarbarella's picture

Tammy is taking Kerri's instructions seriously it seems.

Lt. Colonel Cooper sounds like he could be a real pain in the arse, but I have a feeling that Joey will help to blunt his shenanigans.

Thank you.

WillowD's picture

As always, I'm enjoying this story.

Never a dull moment.

So the room is for her Go Bag? I can't help but feel that the Lt. Colonel will be more trouble.

Was just reading a bit about the Dounreay Reactor Accident. We are having perhaps similar issues with leaks and such at the American Hanford site. It's occured to me that if these people were forced to build these sites in the midst of populated areas, it is likely they'd be much more careful?

Nice Episode.

Gwen

busy lady

can she handle everything being thrown at her?

DogSig.png

Blood work is

about routine as it gets. No Drama required. Maybe time for a new doctor?

wasn't much over a metre wide

Yeah, that should be enough - AFAIK that's enough to allow entry of most pallets.

Going Nuclear?

smdani4mm's picture

I'm failing to connect the dots here. How is the title related?
Dani

SmDani4

Going nuclear

"Not at the moment, but I've picked up an enquiry from some of the Dounreay decommissioning team asking for office space and accommodation."

"Well, given that it's a nuclear site you can tell Ms Cooper that she'll need clearance in order to handle that."

A funny oder is in the wind

Jamie Lee's picture

Tammy isn't waiting until those after her arrive before she takes action. Clothing can help change a person's appearance, only if the change isn't discovered.

Who would know about Tammy having firearms and sometimes carrying them? Could it be the two twits or one of those after her?

Is she once again being set up to draw out someone dangerous? Or is this another house cleaning with Tammy dangling on the string?

Others have feelings too.