Tammy:Moving On - Chapter 1 "Handle With Care"

Printer-friendly version
Moving On  

Part
 
One

 

"Handle With Care"

 

Note: 'Moving On' is the latest in a series of books that started with 'Tom's Fireworks', or possibly earlier. For all the details, visit https://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/book-page/52869/tamaras-tales...
 
Spycraft_Kindle_cover-v4-400.jpgNow available as Tammy:Spycraft on Kindle
 
Friday 24th March 2017
 

Tammy walked out of the temporary examination room at Wick Airport, slightly dazed.

"How was it?" Asked Jim, who was waiting outside.

"Tough, why do the Civil Aviation Authority make the exams that difficult?"

"To make sure the only people who should take a plane into the air know how to fly safely, land in one piece and how to cope in an emergency."

"Yeah, even so?"

"Look, next week you'll know if you've passed, so long as you meet the criteria."

Tammy had started flying lessons as soon as she'd got back to Thurso and was, hopefully, due to take her proving flight in a week or so. "I'll see you tomorrow as usual, Jim?"

"Do that, but remember you still need the hours logged and right now you're about five hours short of the ideal number. Don't forget your medical either?"

Tammy wasn't looking forward to the medical, mainly as the closest she could take it was Aberdeen. Thankfully her own medical needs were simple, she'd renewed her contraceptive pill prescription a week earlier but otherwise had no issues. Her sister, Suzie, was a different matter however.

Suzie had effectively been sacked by the Security Service on the grounds of gross misconduct. Her main error had been her choice of a boyfriend, even though she'd followed due procedure and had him checked. That hadn't raised anything odd, although it was now well known, in certain circles, that Alex Fullerton had been a mole inside MI6 for a terrorist group - True Freedom. For Suzie the issue was compounded when Alex admitted during interview that he'd been trying to get at Tammy and had to settle for Suzie as second best.

Suzie had been slowly pulling her life back into shape but her confidence had been knocked and she'd fallen into a deep depression. Keeping the sorry tale from Joan was awkward and both girls had been warned they could be called to give evidence - any leak could be construed as aiding the enemy, whoever that could be. The official line, for family and friends, was that Suzie's unit had been downsized and she'd been made redundant.

Her leaving package had been improved after the St Andrews old boy Dave Brown had made representations to Personnel Manager John Smith, Suzie would now be free of contract at the end of March, after three months of hassle, but had received a full year's salary as a tax-free lump sum as compensation. She would also retain her pension, although there were only just over two years of contributions in the pot. That was a small win, given that Suzie was now damaged goods, having gained a huge restriction on her future employment choices.

Tammy wasn't out of the mire either as she had since been told that she was officially under suspension, following an intervention from the Intelligence Oversight Committee. This wasn't totally unexpected as she and her sister had heard of other suspensions, anyone who had been involved in any of the botched investigations was being removed from active work. Given that Tammy wasn't strictly operational, the news had no real affect on her day-to-day life. This was, however one piece of information that she'd passed to Joan - after pre-warning her father.

There were actually three inquiries under-way: the original joint inquiry by MI5 and MI6, a Met Police Counter Terrorism Unit led inquiry into True Freedom's activities and the Intelligence Oversight Committee's take on how True Freedom operated under the radar for so long. A Judicial review was also a real possibility, given the depth of the treason, although this would not be held in public.

Regardless that True Freedom and been wound up, the various security agencies were reeling from the implied incompetence of senior managers and how mere scapegoating wasn't an option. In short, it was a bloody mess.

---

Tammy drove away from the Smart Aviation hanger and a few minutes later pulled into the large Tesco store just behind Wick Airport. She was perusing the ladiesware section when she felt someone was stood behind her, a look over her shoulder confirmed her suspicion.

"I'm sorry Miss Smart, but could I have a word?"

"Here, Mr Templeton?"

"Well, perhaps I'm taking advantage plus I get the feeling my office at the college is bugged."

"Well don't blame me, Sir."

"I wasn't, but I don't think I can ask anyone to sweep it."

"And?"

"Look, I'm sorry, I asked people to look into your background when you started the course."

"I got over it."

"Do you understand what I'm saying?"

"I think I understand that I'll probably see you after the Easter break, bye Mr Templeton."

Tammy abandoned her shopping and walked straight out of the store, her distinctive car was a fair distance from the store entrance but she took a circuitous route so she could check she wasn't being followed. Once in her car she made a quick exit, picking up the B876 towards home and then pushed her right foot down. Her phone rang as she re-entered cellphone coverage on the outskirts of Thurso; she tapped the dash to answer it.

"Miss Smart?"

"Yes."

"This is Claire Reeves, I'm assisting John Smith."

"Okay?"

"We were monitoring your conversation with Donald Templeton."

Tammy had reached the 30MPH sign and was rapidly losing speed.

"Oh, is there a problem?"

"Not especially, I take it that you were going to report that conversation?"

"I guess you have it recorded so you know what I said. Need I remind you that I'm under suspension and I'm not undertaking any operational work? I've reached town; sorry, gotta go, I need to concentrate on the road."

Tammy killed the call so she could focus on the route through the middle of Thurso and the remaining ten minutes or so back to Dunbankin'. She'd already been warned that the Intelligence Oversight Committee had granted authority to the agencies to bug every agent involved in this sorry mess, in case there was undisclosed evidence available. Donald was probably correct that his office had been bugged; it had even been suggested to Tammy back in October that she should plant a listening device of her own.

Given that Templeton had also been hoodwinked by Alex Fullerton, Tammy couldn't afford to have any relationship with Donald outside of the lecture theatre, although ultimately he could even lose that job.

She also couldn't say anything likely to get herself into trouble, but at least she knew she was being observed. Tammy had managed to tell Suzie that their home was probably under surveillance but some conversations had to happen, regardless.

"How was the exam?"

"I think I passed, Suzie, what have you been up to?"

"I had another telephone interview, I'm getting tired of this, Tammy."

"At least they're not insisting you travel to London for a one hour interview?"

"Oh, a ruddy woman tried that when I said that I was being called to lunch and asked her to call back an hour later!"

"I hope you've reminded them that it wasn't your fault, you were hoodwinked?"

"Too many times, I didn't have operational training so how the hell could I know?"

"Things got past me too, Suzie, and I'm supposed to have known better."

"Yeah, at least I'll be free in a week's time."

"What about my idea?"

"What's the point, Pru handles it?"

"I'd like to move the Smart Property Management office into town, you could be my office manager."

"Doesn't the agency want the office any more?"

"No, they cleared it a few days ago, although they've left some furniture."

"Will there be a problem, will they let me do it?"

"As you're being made a non-executive director of the company, that would be difficult to get around, you do want to do it, Suzie?"

"I'd really like to get back into London, Thurso is just too quiet."

"Not always, please think about it: you could do a year here and move South after that, start afresh."

"Yeah, Tammy, but are you doing this just because I'm family?"

"Look, I have an empty office and I've bought a few more more commercial properties since the new year, so I might as well set up a bureau that's accessible to the public. Your availability is a bonus, sis, and I know I won't have to vet you!"

"Okay, I'll think about it. By the way, there was a package for you, I put it in your room."

Tammy trekked up to her room, securing the door. The package looked like a typical Ebay purchase, to the common eye at least. For the online observers she also had emails confirming her online purchase of a new speaker system for her iPad.

The package, however, contained a bug detector and a network intrusion detector. She checked the time, it was gone 4pm so Pru was just about finished for the week - by 4.30 the study would be clear. She powered up the handheld scanner and ran it through her bags, having ensured there was no audible notification. The technology was familiar, she'd used a similar device during her training the previous year.

She'd only purchased her day to day shoulder bag a few weeks earlier and wasn't surprised that it was clear, but an older bag, one that had been at Abigail Adams House in December, gave a positive response. Tammy made a mental note but left the bug in situ.

One of her coats, the heavy winter woollen coat, also gave a response. Tammy had been shown a bug that, they said, been removed from that very garment, but had they taken the opportunity to stitch in a new one? This coat had taken a bus ride to Wimbledon, without Tammy, and had amazingly survived, even though it was no longer in perfect condition. Tammy made a policy decision, that coat would have to go to a charity shop and she'd get a new one before the autumn hit the Highlands.

There wasn't much Tammy could do with her mobile phone but she had made another purchase and this was a metallic lined sock that cut the phone off from all network access when she wanted to be left alone. It muffled sound effectively too, but a side effect was that it wouldn't ring, either, when socked. She'd considered replacing her phone but worked out any handset could be commandeered remotely, her training had told her that much, so avoiding surveillance was nearly impossible. Better the devil you know! Her whole car was also bugged, so she could be easily tracked. Finally, her flying lessons hadn't remained a private matter for very long.

After a short delay she let herself into the study and plugged the network device into the main router, two green lights indicated that it was active, a minute later one flashed red before going back to green. She left the study and stowed it away, job done.

 
Friday 31st March 2017
 

Tammy walked out of the medical centre having secured her certificate in her bag. That, at least, was out of the way and she wouldn't need to have another medical exam for another five years, not for flying anyway.

The exam had been thorough, and Tammy had been questioned about her medical history - the silent question was 'which one' as her own medical records had been modified a year or so earlier. Tammy guessed that the files hadn't been fixed so insisted throughout that she was a genetic female. It wasn't queried.

The worst aspect of the day had been the 9.30am appointment; take it or leave it. She'd flown into Aberdeen the previous day on a regular run with one of the regular Smart Aviation flights but now had to get back by train - her car was parked at Wick Airport.

She had a small overnight bag with her as she called a local taxi firm to collect her, knowing that it would take hours to get home. Having said that, she had twenty minutes before the next train to Inverness and was a little surprised to see a familiar face on the platform. A finger pressed to his lips warned her to keep silent, Tammy slid her phone into a protective sock and stowed the phone into a side pocket of her overnight bag.

Once she boarded the train, Tammy put her case on the luggage racking at the end of the carriage and headed a good distance down the aisle for a seat. Marcus joined her a minute later, carrying two coffees, departure was still a few minutes away.

"Thanks, do I get the feeling this wasn't a random meet?"

"Now, now, Tammy, firstly I hear congratulations are due?"

"I think passed a medical."

"No, you've also passed your private pilot written exams."

"One, maybe two, steps closer."

"True, but only a week before you get your licence."

"Assuming everything goes to plan?"

"It will."

"Look, Marcus, am I supposed to be having this conversation, here?"

"This is just about as safe as anywhere?"

"That's not what I mean?"

"Okay, Tammy, let me give you something. If you don't want it, fine."

Captain Marcus Wade of the SAS reached into an inner pocket and pulled a small package, which he passed to Tammy. She looked inside then lost it in a coat pocket.

"Are you certain, Marcus?"

He stood, "I wouldn't be here if I and my superiors weren't sure."

The guard blew her whistle, Marcus bid farewell then quickly stepped off the train, taking his coffee with him.

 
Monday 3rd April 2017
 

In business terms, Tammy was mindful of not becoming involved in domestic lettings and wanted to stay with commercial properties. Over the past few months she, with her father's PA's help, had bought a few more empty properties in and around Thurso ready for renovation. The PA, Pru, had said she couldn't handle the increased work so Richard Smart insisted that Tammy take it elsewhere. Fortunately, one of her premises had just become available; Caithness Marine was closed for business.

It took the locksmith most of the day to make the changes that Tammy needed, working around the carpenter and the sign-writer. Of course an office supplies van arrived just as the carpenter was getting ready to install a new worktop. Tammy had planned the logistics carefully, but real life didn't run that way.

Suzie, grudgingly, was on tea-making duty whilst Tammy was explaining to the various tradespeople exactly what she wanted done, even though the precise instructions had gone out with the tenders. The aim was to make the office welcoming, and to obscure any secondary functions. The secure meeting room was now apparently just a store room whilst the space outside it would have a coffee table and four comfortable chairs instead of the operational desks.

The security services had left the CCTV system in place, at Tammy's request, but the bespoke security system and almost all the other equipment had been removed. That was unfortunate as Tammy wanted a keyless system for simplicity, and the locksmith was now re-installing almost exactly what had been removed a few weeks earlier. Fortunately the safe had been left and the locksmith was able to change the combination, although that had meant removing certain items out of sight temporarily.

By three o'clock most of the tradesfolk were leaving the building, their tasks completed, but it wasn't until nearly five that the girls were on their own and the premises was secure.

"I thought you wanted an office manager, Tammy, not a tea girl?"

"You just need to adapt to circumstances, Suzie, tomorrow you could be determining if the human race is heading for extinction!"

"If the intelligence of politicians is anything to go by, yes we certainly are."

"See, you are adaptable. Now, we need to work out how to get another secure phone, I presume one of the lines still goes into the secure room? They're both dead, though."

"I can't see the point of us having a secure phone here any more, although there's still one at home?"

"But we're not at home right now and either of us may need to make secure calls."

"I can't see that happening to me, Tammy, look at what they did to me? I've been totally stitched up for making one bad choice, even though I took precautions!"

"You're not pregnant then?"

"That's not what I meant!"

Suzie started to sob. "Why me?"

Tammy took her sister's hands.

"Sorry, look, it wasn't your fault but you were compromised."

"I didn't tell him anything!"

"I'm sure you didn't but they won't look at it that way."

"Of course they won't. Why didn't they ....."

Tammy shook her head. The CCTV system previously had a link to the Security Service in London and she suspected that link had been maintained; there was still a risk that they were being monitored and she hadn't checked the internet connection yet. "Not now Suzie, how about we lock up and get out?"

"How about a drink?"

Tammy shook her head, "I've got to drive and tomorrow I'm back at the airfield to complete my flight test.

"I forgot about that."

"I'll need you here, the stairlift is being installed."

"Great, how long will that take?"

"All day."

 
Tuesday 4th April 2017
 

"Good morning Miss Smart, I hope you are fit and well to take this test?"

"I am."

"Good, as I hate it when my time is wasted!"

To be truthful, Tammy was tired. She'd reluctantly been at Smart Properties since seven that morning as the stairlift engineer had been due around half seven, Suzie, however, had suddenly remembered late evening that she had a doctor's appointment at eight thirty. Tammy finally had escaped the office at ten, barely making it to the airfield for the test half an hour later.

Fortunately she'd done a thorough mock test with Jim, but her stomach was confirming her pre-flight nerves.

"Now, I don't have all day so here's your plan for this flight. I suggest you get organised."

Tammy checked in with the office and lodged the flight plan, after checking the weather and every other relevant variable. She was delighted that visibility was excellent; she had to get this right, first time. Jim was inside the hanger as Tammy led the examiner to the aircraft. He stood back, but the examiner was making notes as she walked around the plane, a Sonaca 200 twin seater single turboprop.

"I thought you'd be using the same aircraft as your training flights?"

"This is mine, it was delivered last week from the manufacturer."

"A little presumptuous?"

"If I don't pass then I can always transfer it to the company, I own twenty-five percent of Smart Aviation."

"I see, continue."

Tammy climbed aboard and settled into the left-hand seat, to continue her checks, the examiner sat alongside her and strapped himself in. Before long she put on her headset and radioed for permission to taxi. Two or three minutes later they were airborne.

--

Tammy was pleased to be back on the ground and had taxied to a point just outside the Smart Aviation hanger. She purposely made her post-flight checks and updated the aircraft logbook before shutting down the cockpit systems, watched closely by the examiner.

They were walking back to the lounge when Tammy asked the obvious question.

"Well? Did I pass?"

"You came in a little steep for that last landing, but otherwise I feel a pass is justified. Congratulations Miss Smart."

She relaxed, just enough to realise she needed a wee badly.

Once she was suitably refreshed, the formal part of the test was completed and the examiner issued her pass slip. "Get this to the CAA as soon as possible, with your other paperwork of course."

He then left Tammy as his next victim had arrived for their flight. Jim met Tammy as she returned to the hanger.

"All okay?"

"Yes, what's next?"

"You have enough hours, your medical was okay and he's said you're safe in the air so let's get this packaged up and sent now."

"Sure."

"How did the plane handle?"

"Easy."

"We'll see about bigger aircraft when you have your licence."

"Okay, but I think this one is good enough for me, for now."

"So long as you don't want to fly into England on one tank of fuel? There's only seven hours of flying time, so you'd need to plan refuelling stops."

"How did you know I'd want to fly South?"

"Because you always gripe about the trains and grab rides in the choppers whenever possible!"

"True. Do you have the phone I left with you?"

"In my desk, let's sort this paperwork out first." It went in her bag.

By the time she reached her car it was raining, she settled in for a careful drive home.

---

"Tammy, we had a visit whilst you were in Wick."

"Oh, Dad?"

"Yasmin arrived to remove the secure phone, apparently we don't need it any more."

"Well, apparently I'm not doing anything here that would warrant it."

"She was going to remove some kit from your car too, but you'd already left."

"Oh well, was that it?"

"No, another lady turned up at your office to speak to Suzie and you. Suzie wasn't happy and refused to deal with the woman."

"Why didn't someone call me?"

"What could you have done? You were either preparing for your flight or you would have been in the air, either way it would have ended your flying intentions."

"It doesn't sound important then?"

"Look, the woman left when it was clear Suzie wouldn't say anything, your sister came home as soon as she could, quite upset."

"Oh, how is she?"

"In her room, please leave her alone. Unfortunately, they're coming back in the morning and expect to see you too."

"Did you get the woman's name?"

"Claire Reeves, I think."

"I've spoken to her recently, What the hell is this about?"

"I don't know, Tammy, but it looks like your intelligence career is over."

up
464 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

yay

yay, tammys back but still in trouble. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

So good to see Tammy return!

Bobbie Sue's picture

Glad to see Tammy (and you) return to the pages here!

We have missed you!

"it looks like your intelligence career is over"

WillowD's picture

Interesting. This would make a good cover story if, in fact, her intelligence career is ready to take off again.

(Edit: Oh yes, YAYYYY!!!!! Shiraz and Tammy are back.)

Given

that these people got Tammy to join by threatenining to leave her on her own while people were trying to harm her, and she was still in school Not working for these people doesn't feel like a bad career move.

Speaking Frankly

I think that the people she was working for are right dicks who blame their own stupidity on those who work for them. If I were hired, I likely would not make it to tea before I set bed bugs loose in their lounge.

That little plane is so cute. I think that sooner or later, the piston engine is extinct in aviation. Not sure what that guy was on about special training and refueling. UK aviation seems constipated compared to American.

I was quite sad about not moving to the UK, but the more I see of it, the leaders seem to spend far to much time picking the head cheese off their dicks. How many years has Brexit dragged on? I wonder if they can successfully get Harry and Megan married tomorrow, or will that be a total cock up?

Wow, this episode has left me totally pissed off at the very devious and stupid management. Those people should be returning to London in Ambulances !!!

Gwen

Short range

The complaint was that’s too short range and if she encounters a headwind it shortens it further.

It would have been hilarious if she had gotten an Aero L-39ng for the test flight. Also, it would be quicker for a hop to London.

I wonder...

I wonder if Alex and true freedom couldn’t be gotten on child support for Suzie’s unborn and pre-natal to age 18 medical expenses? If their assets are seized or diminished for such a standard expenses then the state is financially relieved of assistance and there is less remaining for defense solicitors.

I think that was a joke.

And I'm glad to see Shiraz and Tammy in action again.

That last line

Sammi's picture

Tammy's Secret Squirrel Badge has been or is about to be pulled,

Marcus' Visit to Tammy on the train and his final words

"I wouldn't be here if I and my superiors weren't sure."

Was that a Super Secret Squirrel Badge she was given?


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Bermuda triangle

Good start of the story.^^ Maybe she could take a vacation in the Bahams, charter a small plane and while flying around has to dodge an unexpected storm and stumbles upon a certain private island with a runway. *hint, hint; nudge, nudge* She wouldn't be the first to vanish in this triangle.

I Don't Believe It

joannebarbarella's picture

There is a double game "afoot" here. Marcus gave her a package and we still don't know what it was....and Marcus seemed to be the only one up to speed on Tammy's last little contretemps. It was his outfit that got rid of the tracker in her coat and provided her with transport at the end of her run.

Whatever, it's great to see Tammy back on this site. Thanks Shiraz.

Over?

Podracer's picture

Maybe Tammy's association with her old department might be over, but she's going to find some complication in her life ahead. Bet Marcus has handed something quite naughty back to her, hope she's learnt to be 100% circumspect with sensitive items. Certainly she seems to have learnt from some past mistakes (at last?).
Dare I say this is shaping to be vintage Shiraz?

"Reach for the sun."

My Guess

Marcus gave Tammy a weapon and the authorization to carry it. Just a best guess. Glad to have Tammy back.

Shiraz, thanks for sharing.

Great to have Tammy back, but to nit-pick!!

Great to have Tammy back. Always a good read, thanks Shiraz

Just something to bare in mind in for future parts. While Sonaca have yet to delivered any aircraft. No reason why Tammy cannot be among the first customers.
However the specs show a range of 863 miles (750 nautical) @ 75% power. So no need for a stop off to refuel on the way south. As Wick to Elstree (North London) is only 483 miles. That's around just over six hours non-stop with a 10mph head wind @ 75% power (aprox 93mph).

But still quicker that the train even with a stop-off for lunch!

Thanks Shiraz.
Sophie

Tuesday, April 4, 2017...

Picking the nit a little more, according to Sonaca's website, they don't seem to have delivered any before 2018; they didn't complete the final phase of testing until last December. First tests by customers were in September 2017. (Two planes, if I read it right, in Belgium.)

Eric

End of Agent 003 1/2 career

Maybe that's for the better.

Is a STOL plane which can be parked at the lawn at Dunbankin possible? Would cut on travel times ...

EDITED:
I loved the pregnancy joke - sister dearest simply stepped in it :)
As sisters go - looking forward for update on Angela and sororial relations on that front.

Our weaver of tangles webs of intrigue strikes again...

Things we know (following all story arcs)

Marcus is associated with Col. Sean MacTaggart (with links back to OICA). Sean promised Krystel he'd look out for Tammy - and Tammy now owes him a favour.

No 1 rule when compromised: start with those you can trust and rebuild from there. Sean and Marcus would represent people she could trust from outside her current command structure (and are unlikely to have been infiltrated). Also, they contacted her.

Claire Reeves says she assisting John Smith - John is personal security – NOT HR

Tammy received a bug detector from somewhere – why increase her security if she was about to be dropped from a great height in to the brown and pungent?

Dave Brown 'Retired' under a cloud to hide his headhunter/troubleshooter duties.

Are we seeing a bit of back channelling, with Tammy and Suzie outwardly being dumped by the Security Service, but still gathering intelligence while being seconded to MacTaggart's group? Are there still more members of True Freedom out there, and would Tammy & Suzie (both apparently abandoned by MI5) be in a position to carry on investigating them?

The package from Marcus obviously sent it's own message, a gun (and warrant) would be difficult to explain, but a secure phone would signify trust.

Nit picking ?

I always thought that this was a work of fiction so any showing of one's aero technical knowledge is more than somewhat irrelevant .
Tammy has always been a favorite story and Shiraz is one of our better writers and deserves more kudos rather than criticism.
Looking forward to more of Tammy and her adventures, thanks to Big Closet.

aero technical knowledge irrelevant

Guest Reader, I thoroughly enjoy and look forward to reading each and every adventure Tammy has.
Perhaps with hindsight I should have pm’d Shiraz instead. I see no problem with Tammy being a first customer of a Sonaca 200 aircraft. However as Shiraz is starting to put her books on Kindle (and so they should be). I am sure Tammy’s adventures will make their way there as well, so you don’t want reviewers picking this up and mocking the book. There are a lot of pilots out their!

On the subject of ‘I always thought that this was a work of fiction so any showing of one's aero technical knowledge is more than somewhat irrelevant’. The great thriller writer Alistair MacLean in ‘Where Eagles Dare’, gave a description of the interior of a Lancaster Bomber that would have had former Lanc crews rolling around the floor in laughter.
There was a reason why they used a Junkers Ju 52 in the film.

Thank you Sophie,

Exactly the point I would like to make,a PM is much more acceptable . I liked your comment on Alistair Mc Lean as my now late elder cousin was a Lanc pilot and shared your thoughts on the subject . I am glad that you are also a fan of Tammy ,fiction or otherwise . Perhaps Tammy should get herself a jet powered broomstick---just a thought!

Tammy

Just saw the news about Scotia fishermen taping a young biologist to a chair. Didn't Tammy have something similar happen?

Fall guys abound

Jamie Lee's picture

Suzie getting the sack is to cover up some turd who didn't do their work properly. That person can't be turned out so it falls on Suzie's shoulders.

Tammy is in the same boat as Suzie, being another fall guy to cover someone's butt.

However, the last time something was up Tammy was left out in the cold until it was settled. Meeting Marcus on the train, and whatever he gave her, might mean something is up again and they want Tammy out of the way before she figures it out. More than once they've seen her figure out things based on scraps of information.

What a pain not being able to be free to talk to whomever without having to think of how many bugs are present. She can't even shop and run into someone without it being discovered.

Maybe it's time both Tammy and Suzie get away from all the spooks and spook stuff. But will they be left alone?

Others have feelings too.