Tammy:Moving On - Chapter 16 "Distractions"

Printer-friendly version
Moving On  

Part
 
Sixteen

 

"Distractions"

 

 
Wednesday 26th April 2017
 

Tammy drove up to CV Recovery & Repair and found the owner, John, stood outside. He waved her to drive into the main workshop.

"I'm glad you're early, Miss Smart, my lad can get started on you straight away."

"Thanks John, when do you think it'll be ready to collect?"

"I'll be spraying several layers of paint and need to leave enough time for each layer to dry so I'd say four thirty. Can you leave me a key?"

Tammy was prepared and handed over a spare key before setting off towards the town. She knew the route, Sarah Bonney lived close by and Tammy had stayed for a few days with Sarah in 2014. Her phone rang as she passed the end of Sarah's road.

"Miss Smart, it's Jeremiah Smith."

"Hello, I guess you've seen my email from Monday?"

"Indeed. I'll be chasing the police to move this forward."

"Good, I've just left my car at the repair shop so there will be a bill by the end of today."

"Send me a copy, please?"

"Of course, but do you know what went on in court last week?"

"I do, but that's because we were representing one of the accused."

"Not Lorna or Corrine?"

"No, the male."

"Ah, so what was the offence?"

"My client was found guilty of selling narcotics from his car at the University. The co-accused were with him on several occasions."

"I didn't know about this, how did it come about?"

"The university did an audit of their CCTV system and found evidence of his activities on CCTV footage that had been deleted. My client admitted deleting the CCTV to cover his activities."

"The university only discovered this because of my complaint."

"Indeed, although in court the Vice Chancellor said that an internal audit had been carried out, I decided against cross-examining him."

"What about sentencing?"

"My client had a previous conviction for dealing, as a youth, so he received a custodial sentence immediately, the girls will be sentenced next month."

"They are still a problem, I happen to know they're still out to get me." Tammy recounted what she'd overheard.

"Please be careful, Miss Smart, don't coerce them or bait them."

"I won't, but Judith Travers said she's going to apply to work in my office. She wasn't a part of last week's court case and isn't connected to the criminal damage to my car."

"I think you're splitting hairs, Miss Smart. Because you know there's a family connection, you can't claim that you are operating in ignorance."

"I suppose so, but I am wondering about using my office for any interviews."

"Then use a neural location, don't leave yourself open to any counter accusations."

"Sensible advice."

"That's what you pay me for, by the way I have a clerk preparing your latest account at the moment."

"Thanks, I think."

"Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"Tesco?"

"Ah, apparently it's with their HQ in Dundee."

"I spoke to them, I didn't get a proper apology or an admittance of fault."

"I've spoken to one of their legal team and suggested we met in court, he told me they are taking a look at the staff statements and CCTV again. Don't be surprised at an offer of compensation."

"I already said I'm not after money."

"Even so, that is the likely outcome."

"Well, I'll donate it to a worthy cause - no publicity of course."

"Naturally, Miss Smart."

Tammy picked up a roll and a cake for lunch before heading to the office. There were a few items of post which weren't urgent, no new faxes and a load of fresh emails. Tammy could access office emails on her phone but rarely touched anything other than urgent matters when she was out of the office.

As predicted one of the emails was from Judith, although she'd dropped the 'Kirk' element of her name and was now Judith McDonald. Tammy ran the attached CV through the anti-virus programme, taking no chances, before taking a gander at the quoted employment history. According to the CV, she had finished at the school only a few days previously, which Tammy knew to be false. The rest of the CV was also suspect, Tammy decided she couldn't even verify the home address.

The email went into a newly created 'No' folder, a rejection email would be generated once the deadline passed a few days later.

Tammy dealt with the paperwork she'd put aside on Monday, even though that meant paying a variety of invoices. She had all the best intentions of tackling that the previous day but she'd decided, after morning classes, to get herself fit.

Of course, this wasn't something that could be achieved overnight, but she had to start somewhere. After a light lunch she'd hit the running machine in the gym at Dunbankin' and spent forty-five minutes at an increasing speed. Once she was done with that she dived into the pool and attempted twenty lengths, giving up after fifteen when cramp attacked her legs. Tammy wasn't planning on using the running machine today as she'd walked down from CV's workshops and would be walking, or even jogging, back later to collect her car.

She had one property inspection to do and had planned to leave the office at eleven to do that. She had reached the outside door when she heard female voices outside.

"Her car's not here, you sure it wasn't at the university?"

"Yeah, I called Gary and he had a look for me."

Tammy felt vulnerable and decided that confronting the girls was a bad idea, perhaps an early lunch was a better idea?

"Shit, it's the police!"

Tammy made her way back up just as the door buzzer sounded. She glanced at the CCTV and saw Sgt St James waiting by the street door. She pressed the remote release and allowed him inside.

"I came by yesterday, but you weren't here?"

"I was at the University in the morning and I was busy after lunch."

"I was hoping we could take your statement?"

"Sure."

"Do you know how much the damage will cost to fix?"

"A few hundred, for sure, it's in the garage at the moment."

"Have you notified your insurance company?"

"Yes, but I haven't put a claim in yet."

"Okay, let's go back to when this started."

"Fine, but I think we need to include the incident at the theatre, for context."

"Of course, but I only have an hour!"

--

Stuart St James overran his hour and, thankfully, already had Tammy's signature on the multi-page statement when his radio peeped.

"Sorry, got to go, but I reckon there's more than enough to charge them both with criminal damage."

"I'd like them to leave me alone. By the way, what's happening about the strange faxes?"

"That's with CID, I passed on the one you forwarded but do you have the original?"

Tammy found the envelope and handed it over.

"Did you print a call log off the fax machine?"

"No."

"Can you do one now for us? It needs to cover the time this fax was received."

Tammy did as asked and the Sargent was soon on his way to his next job.

Tammy quickly locked up and took herself to the house on Fore St, the place had been redecorated in the past few days as Tammy fully intended to lease it, although this time she wouldn't be fooled. The building smelt of fresh paint but was otherwise clean, with a warmer colour scheme.

She took a few photos and decided the place was ready to be advertised. Back in the office she uploaded the pics to the website and updated the entry, which led her to freshening several of the other properties listed. She munched her roll as she worked, interrupted by her mobile.

"Tammy?"

"Er, yes?"

"It's two o'clock."

"Oh ... sorry Sandy."

She grabbed her bag, locked up and hurried along to the salon.

By the time Tammy was done in the salon it was gone three in the afternoon, and there was still plenty of time before her car would be ready. Joanne had questioned how long it had been since Tammy's last visit to the torture chamber and had impressed on the lassie about having her legs 'ready for summer'.

Summer indeed! It was nearing the end of April but temperatures rarely made it into double digits. Joanne hadn't stopped at Tammy's legs however and made certain that the girl was ready for the beach, wherever that was. Tammy did want a swim but that would ruin the hairstyle that Sandy had fussed over.

She walked around to the Castletown Hotel but didn't see anyone she recognised. For a change she slid onto a barstool.

"What will it be, Miss?"

"OJ please."

"Ice?"

"Sure."

The barman was new, or at least she hadn't seen him before. Her drink was delivered quickly.

"Will that be all?"

Tammy had left half of her lunch back in the office. "Any chance of a sandwich?"

"Cheese, ham, tuna, prawn, beef and cucumber?"

"Tuna please."

Whilst the barman had been dealing with her, two other persons had joined her at the bar. She hadn't had to look around to see who it was.

"Just finished boys?"

"No Miss, we're on late turn today."

"Keeping us safe?"

"That's the idea."

A few strangers had walked up to the bar so the conversation was curtailed, Tammy knew that law enforcement officers were never really off duty, but that didn't include announcing that Andrew & Neale Fraser would be patrolling Thurso and Wick that night.

The bar was getting busier when Frances arrived with Tammy's plate.

"Are you eating at the bar, Miss Smart?"

"No, I don't think so. Somewhere quieter perhaps?"

Tammy picked up her bag and went for her glass but Frances was ahead of her, he signalled the barman as they walked towards a table on the edge of the restaurant.

"Enjoy!"

Tammy's glass was quickly finished before she tackled the sandwich, a fresh drink arrived a few moments after Frances had left her table.

"Oh, thanks, but I hadn't ordered a refill?"

"Mr Ernesto asked me to bring you a fresh one. It won't be charged to your tab."

"Oh, okay. Thank you."

Tammy's phone pinged with a security alert, she accessed her office CCTV and spotted someone trying the outside door, the noise must have been enough to trigger the sensor. She started to record it on her phone but unfortunately the image wasn't too good as the offender was dressed in black with a hood over their head. A moment later her phone rang.

"Hi Sarah."

"Tammy, there's a load of noise coming from the back of the shop, but the delivery door camera isn't showing anything."

"I know, someone's having a go at my office door."

"Are you going to call the police?"

"I wasn't, but hang on, I'll call you back."

Tammy could see that the Fraser brothers were looking at her, Tammy beckoned them to come over. The live image showed no one, they had obviously left during Sarah's call.

"I had an unwelcome visitor at the office." She showed them the recorded video.

"There's not enough to identify who that is." Suggested Neale.

"I realise that, but it's scared Sarah Bonney and I know that her rear delivery door isn't as secure as my stairwell door."

"I'd suggest improving security then, don't you own the whole building?"

"I do, is there anything else I could do?"

"Keep yourself safe and try not to take any questionable actions." Andrew tried to smile as he teased Tammy.

"So I can't put them out of my misery?"

"I don't know what you mean, Miss Smart, but be careful."

The pair walked back to their perches at the bar, although they hadn't sat down long when Neale slid off his stood, swiftly followed by Andrew. Tammy was obscured behind a pillar but could now see that the barman was by the hotel main door, although she was no closer to knowing what was happening the other side of the bar. Frances had now come out of his office and was heading for the bar, he signalled for Tammy to stay put.

Tammy knew that, if she stayed seated where she was, she couldn't be seen from the far side of the bar. That didn't mean she wasn't wondering what was going on, of course, and whether she could help. She now heard a few shouts and could see customers retreating. A moment later there was a grunt, followed by a muted scream. Tammy fought against the urge to stand up but ultimately failed.

Andrew and Neale Fraser were stood talking to Sgt St James and Tammy could now see blue flashing lights outside but there was no sign of any miscreants. Frances Ernesto was directing the barman to fill glasses whilst assuring his customers that they were perfectly safe.

Tammy spotted that her phone had several missed calls from Sarah and was now ringing again.

"Hello?"

"Tammy, an urchin came in and stole from me whilst I was talking to you."

"I think I know where they are, Sarah. Could you identify them?"

"I only saw a girl, in a blue hoody."

"I'm in the hotel and I think the police have someone, but it's the other side of the bar and I've been told to stay put."

"Well, I've had enough for the day. I had two customers all day, and only one of those actually spent any money, and now this."

"I'm in the Castletown, near the back."

Sarah took ten minutes and arrived at Tammy's table with a chilled bottle of Pinot Grigio, she poured two glasses and took a large swig. Tammy did likewise.

"It was awful, I chased her out of the shop but she had a load of tops off the rail by the door."

"Hopefully you'll get it back."

"As I was locking up, that nice Sargent came back with some of the tops, unfortunately they had been dropped and I doubt I'll be able to sell them. He said he'd detained two persons but the police car was pulling away from here when I came around the corner, so I'm still none the wiser."

Tammy put her glass down, she was already half way down it. "I saw virtually nothing. The Fraser brothers said they were off duty, but I'm not so sure. Plus, that police car was here rather quickly, like it was waiting."

"What were you doing in here?" Sarah reached for the bottle to refill their glasses.

"I've been in to see Sandy and Joanne, it wasn't worth going back to the office plus I wanted a sandwich."

"Your hair looks nice, what did you have done?"

"Just a tidy up, we're leaving the colouring and heavy duty cutting for another time."

"I don't see much of you, Tammy, and you're only on the floor above me!"

"I'm at the university too."

"I haven't seen your sister Suzie recently."

"She doesn't work for me any more."

"Oh?"

"It's complicated. Oh shit!"

"What?"

"I'm supposed to collect my car at half four."

"There's plenty of time - oh. I shouldn't have poured you that wine."

"It's not your fault Sarah, you didn't know."

"What are you going to do?"

"Order a second bottle."

"About the car?"

"I'll phone John at CV's and ask if he can run it home."

"Okay, get another Pinot, it's quite good."

up
444 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It's a slow day for Tammy..

It's a slow day for Tammy...it's odd that for once she's just a regular bystander instead of in the mix hut of course that's not going to last

And Frances is really a master of choreography, not for public benefit and the hotel's

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Was she a regular bystander?

WillowD's picture

I kind of got the feeling that whatever happened, it involves her, or at least some of the people that have been giving her trouble.

true, but...

true, but...

she was out of the way, uninvolved, and let them handle it so nobody could use her as a way out of trouble. She wasn't directly involved, it just so happened to involve people trying to get at her. The trio aren't exactly the brightest bulbs, but them trying to get at her while she was simply enjoying her lunch and a drink and did nothing else to anyone except talk with her favorite hotel manager they can't use her as an excuse ;)

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Snerk.

WillowD's picture

Yup. That trio have definitely mastered the fine art of being dumb.

"Order a second bottle."

WillowD's picture

Makes sense to me.

I do love this story. I know I've said it before, but suspect I will probably do a Tammy marathon read in the next few months. Thank you Shiraz.

under siege

oh boy ...

DogSig.png

A Slow Day

joannebarbarella's picture

Nobody tried to kill her! (we think)

Ooh - mature decisions all round

Podracer's picture

Getting stuff done, staying out of trouble, is that really Tammy we have been seeing all day?

"Reach for the sun."

Brick walls dent bone

Jamie Lee's picture

Those morons must love banging their heads against brick walls, since they keep doing it.

They try to get back at Tammy only to get their butts deeper in mire. Their stupidity keeps increasing with each failed attempt to even the score. And they arrests keep growing.

The police being quick off the mark when the tops were taken must mean they were waiting for that person to act. It was kind of that dope not to disappoint the police.

Others have feelings too.