Tammy:Moving On - Chapter 7 "Photo Evidence"

Printer-friendly version
Moving On  

Part
 
Seven

 

"Photo Evidence"

 

 
Thursday 13th April 2017
 

"Good morning Miss Smart, I'm calling from Tesco in Dundee."

Tammy was suspicious, the number displayed on her phone didn't offer any confirmation.

"Really, I've never used the Dundee store?"

"Oh, sorry, my name is Katie Fuller and I'm a Customer Services manager for the Highlands and Islands."

"I see."

"I've been looking at your complaint, following an incident at the Wick store last weekend?"

"I doubt I'll ever be going back there."

"I understand and, on behalf of the company I'd like to apologise for the way you were treated."

"It's a shame no-one could have dealt with it properly on Sunday?"

"I appreciate that, but our staff tried their best."

"Including falsely accusing me of shoplifting, despite there being no evidence? Did you know that your security guard was subsequently arrested and the duty manager couldn't have managed his way out of a paper bag!"

"I'm sorry but we can't discuss personnel matters."

"So you aren't taking responsibility?"

"We've reviewed the CCTV footage and taken statements from staff members so we're satisfied that the matter can be closed."

"So I get half an apology and no promise that I can safely use that store again?"

"I'm sorry you feel that way, Miss Smart."

"I think I'll be talking to my solicitor, if that's the best you can do?"

Tammy ended the call, she was angry. Until that call she'd been prepared to leave the incident behind her, but now the company was making excuses?

Suzie was out of town, inspecting a property in Inverness, so thankfully wasn't privy to that conversation. Tammy decided to take a walk before taking any further action.

It was icy out, the last vestiges of winter were holding on, even though the holiday weekend forecast was for spring-like temperatures. She made her way to the bakery and collected a tuna mayo roll. On a whim she bought two Danish pastries as well; one was for Suzie - if she was back in time.

Back in the office she put the kettle on and spooned coffee granules into a mug. A few minutes later she was back at her desk with a steaming drink, opting to eat one of the pastries.

Suitably refreshed, and calmed, Tammy called Jeremiah Smith of Smith, Smith & Smith Solicitors.

"Good morning Miss Smart, how can I be of service?"

"Do you recall my experience at Tesco?"

"Yes."

Tammy recounted that morning's call with the customer services manager.

"I see, what are you aiming to get out of this, a financial settlement perhaps?"

"No Jeremiah, but I need assurances that I won't be targeted if I ever feel like returning to that store. I'd like a formal apology with an acceptance that they were to blame."

"Compensation might be easier than an admission of blame?"

"No, I'd like an unreserved admission that they are at fault."

"Could you write this up and send it to me?"

"I guessed you'd ask that."

"I'm sorry, but it is necessary. Do you have any updates regarding your plane?"

"Only that it's at Farnborough, nothing more."

"Understood, if you can let me have that statement then I can get hold of Tesco later today, although you do know that all our offices will be closed until Tuesday?"

"Yes."

"Thank you for your call Miss Smart."

Tammy hated to think what her legal bill would be for just this week, but she couldn't leave the issue hanging. Should she have gone for the financial solution? Firstly she didn't need the money and secondly this was mostly a point of principle.

She'd wound herself up again, perhaps not the best idea if she had to write a statement that would likely end up with the store's legal team. She picked up the other pastry and started to eat, at this moment Tammy's mental needs were paramount whilst her waistline would just have to accept this state of affairs.

Her sister was back at three.

"Oh good, Suzie, I could do with a hand."

"Hey, I was on the road at eight this morning! Six hours travel for one hour's work! I'm knackered, hungry and I need a wee!"

"Come on, Suzie, this won't take long."

"What is it?"

"We need to go to Fore Street."

"Ok, but I still need a wee, and a cup of tea. Did you get any cakes?"

 
Good Friday 14th April 2017
 

There was just a hint of a thaw this morning, perhaps it heralded the start of the Highlands Spring? The roads were clear and she hadn't spotted a single pedestrian on her way to the office.

Tammy was taking advantage of the Easter holiday weekend to work in peace. She'd received the forensic report the previous evening but there was nothing new; nevertheless she sent a copy to DI Kevin Edmunds. She also wrote an explanatory covering note and sent a copy, with the report, to her solicitor and to Chief Inspector Iain Davison. No doubt that would incur more legal charges.

The previous day the sisters had gone to the 12 Fore Street property in order to clear the property and make certain the place was clean. They had missed potential rent and wanted it available to lease as soon as possible.

The biggest questions remained, who had been at the property and why were they observing Tammy? She still hoped that the forensics would answer the first question but, what about the other one?

The photos and newspaper clippings had been brought back in a large envelope and she now tipped them over the desk in the secure room. She grabbed a stack of sticky notes and allocated each item a number. On a sheet she tallied the characteristics of each item.

Several of the photos seemed familiar, Tammy kicked herself and reached for her phone - some of the photos were seemingly ripped from the social media accounts of Tammy's friends then printed on photographic paper.

Since the events of December Tammy had temporary shut down her social media accounts, much to the chagrin of her so-called friends, but during her stay at Abigail Adams House she had been reminded, alongside Suzie, that her activities could be tracked very easily.

With some reluctance she re-enabled one of the accounts so she could check the dates of the Facebook photos, the newest was six months old but most were much older. It took her fifteen minutes to identify a large number of the photos, although her phone was now regularly pinging from notifications she didn't need or want. Finally, peace resumed when she account was again disabled.

Looking at the remaining photos, Tammy had a hunch and picked up a one that she hadn't managed to identify yet, She snapped it with her phone and used an online service to search for the original.

It took a minute, but the search retrieved an article from the local weekly paper, dated two years earlier, when Tammy had been photographed at a school event. What was odd was that the original photo had included Dr McIntosh and another other student, but the one in her hand just contained herself. Given the quality, Tammy realised that there was no way this evidential photo had been printed from the newspaper website or duplicated from the printed newspaper.

She rang the newspaper office but, unsurprisingly, there was no answer. Time for Plan 'B'.

"Dad, do you still own shares in the Highlands Newspaper Group?"

"Yes, why?"

Tammy explained her findings.

"So you think someone bought the photo, scanned it and printed a cropped version that just included you?"

"Yeah, the newspaper should have a record of who bought the photo, shouldn't they?"

"Indeed, I guess you've tried the office?"

"Yes, but it's Good Friday."

"Unfortunately there's a good chance we won't be able to do anything before Tuesday."

"Oh, great."

"I'm sure a few more days won't make much of a difference, Tammy."

"Fair enough."

"Just to let you know, one of the engineers took a look at the PS-28 earlier this morning. He says it's sound and the history has been verified."

"Did he take it up?"

"No, there wasn't time, but did you fancy a trip there on Monday?"

"Sure, don't forget that I'm back at the university on Tuesday."

"Any news on your trip?"

"No." Tammy was a little abrupt, her father should have known that this topic couldn't be discussed on a phone.

"Oh, okay. See you later."

"Bye, Dad."

Tammy stared at the file, it was dated 10th January, Tammy tried to recall how this client had been handled, and by whom. Her first task was to recall what had happened around Christmas and New Year.

She and Suzie had flown back from Hertfordshire on 12th December in the aftermath of the inquiry into True Freedom with instructions to lay low. That was a good idea in practice but she was back at university two days later trying to account for her missed lessons. She suddenly remembered getting a call about renting an office just before the Christmas break but it had been dumped to voicemail as she'd been in the vice-principle's office at the time.

When Tammy had listened to the message, she had simply called back and asked the caller to contact Pru, although was this the first contact from the fake whale watchers or another speculative client? She started going back through her phone's history but recalled that she'd upgraded to a newer handset a few months ago.

Tammy had been running her lettings business from home, with Pru's help, and had finalised the purchase of 12 Fore Street a few days before the pair had returned from Abigail Adams House. She'd busied herself getting it ready for rental, using the work as a distraction to Suzie's woes and had declared the work finished a few days into the new year.

She recalled that she'd barely listed the property when the formal enquiry had come in from the whale research team, there was a little euphoria when the lease had been agreed, albeit for just three months. It was clear from the file that Pru had signed the leasing contract, on behalf of Smart Properties, that was normal practice at the time. There was a signature for the keys, which was illegible, but her father had noted the file that day, so had he met the client? A photo would be useful! She needed to talk with her father, again.

Tammy's concern was whether there could there be a repeat of this mess? Now that her office was fully up and running they no longer had Pru's superb experience available, but surely two intelligence analysts should be able to detect fraud?

She wondered if perhaps she should have checked the so-called whale watchers more thoroughly, but what could she have done beyond the basic checks that didn't require government accreditation?

She suddenly recalled the small print on some of the forms she'd completed in the past few years that made reference to credit agencies, could she use one? Should she use one? A little web search brought up a list, she selected a recognisable brand name and clicked on the link to sign up.

Fifteen minutes later she'd finished applying for access but it would take a couple of days to process. Why hadn't she done this before, would that have prevented her problem? She honestly didn't know, but at least she was doing something that could prevent a repetition.

A few recent comments from various sources had reminded Tammy that her, and her family's, operational security wasn't as good as it should be. She'd let her guard down, Suzie was worse, this had to be addressed urgently.

Common sense kicked in and over the next hour she produced two documents: a draft procedure for checking all potential lessees and a guide to operational security. She'd pondered putting references to the secure telephone but she really wanted to pin it on the board. In the end she decided that the 'secure storeroom' should remain locked whenever it wasn't needed, if you can't see the phone then it isn't at risk!

That took her to lunchtime but the bakery was closed, as were almost all the stores in the Highlands. She decided she'd done enough for the day so opted for lunch in the Castletown Hotel once she'd put everything away.

Tammy looked around the hotel lounge but didn't identify any of her friends, although she had vaguely recognised a few faces. The barman was new, he took her order but didn't ask where she'd be sitting. She decided to head for the quiet corner, furthest away from the bar and most of the other patrons.

Tammy picked up a discarded newspaper on the way and hadn't noticed Francis, the hotel manager, approaching her seat a few minutes later.

"Good afternoon Miss Smart, did you order the tuna jacket?"

"I did, Francis, is there a problem?"

"No, but my employee needs to be more careful when he takes food orders!"

"I don't think I've met him before?"

"I doubt he'll be here long, unfortunately he's the son of the regional manager and is undertaking 'work experience' at the moment."

"Oh dear, I guess you didn't have much of a choice?"

"I didn't, but please don't repeat this!"

"Your secret is safe with me, Francis."

"Good. Now, I wonder if you might help me with a small problem?"

"Sure?"

"Back in early February, a guest stayed for two nights but left without paying."

"I thought you took their card numbers when they checked in?"

"We did, but no card was recorded, the member of staff claimed he wasn't properly trained, it was his second day on the job."

"Can I make a guess as to who that was?"

"You can, but I couldn't possibly confirm it."

"Oh dear, didn't you get the guest's name?"

"We did, but it turns out to be false. It's unfortunately we are still looking for the person but our enquiries have come to nought."

"How can I help?"

"The guest asked for directions to Fore Street. We've shown a picture of the guest to everyone who lives in the street, but we didn't get a response at number 12. It's been suggested that you own it?"

"I do, but I'm not sure if I can help?"

"Could you take a look at the CCTV, it's a bit more helpful than the picture we've been showing everyone?"

Tammy followed Francis into the office, leaving her jacket but taking her bag with her. Francis pressed the play button and Tammy gasped.

"That's Sharon Gainsborough!"

"Do you know her well?"

"I was on a course with her last year, but the last I heard was that she's wanted by the Met Police. I had no idea she'd been up here."

"Do you know where to find her?"

"No, but could I have a copy of that video?"

"You'll let me know if you get an address? I don't like bad debts."

"If I can help you, Francis, I will."

up
427 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I don't like bad debts.

Oooh, Good Man Francis is into knee-capping!

Oooh...

Do you think that Francis has gone to the same management school as Putin? See inspiration for my comment below.

https://youtu.be/bxaa6e5DPls

Hunting season

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Hunting Season is now on; Tammy has seen her quarry!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Somehow..

Somehow..

I'd be more afraid of Francis! He might have a few ways of taking payment for old bills that are frowned upon by the boys in blue ;)

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

She Gets No Peace

joannebarbarella's picture

Tammy's past keeps pursuing her. She's lucky that circumstances conspire to catch them in the act. We are truly in the age of Big Brother when it comes to surveillance.

Story speculation

Robyn B's picture

I will leave the speculation and commentary to others posting in this thread.

I, like all other readers of quality writing, find that a chapter of even 10,000 words is never enough...

Robyn B
Sydney

Loving it!

Not tracking the fine details very well ( Its on me).

all is well in my head

another episode of Tammy, makes up for my bad weekend! I also plead guilty to buying two cakes, one for someone yet to arrive and they never seem to arrive in time to consume it, giggle

Barn door

Jamie Lee's picture

Being reminded a few times now that Tammy has let down her guard, and finding the renter was bogus, Tammy is now trying to close the barn door after the horses ran away.

When she was taken out of active service she had a suspicion it wasn't valid, that an op was in play. She was told to stay alert and keep a low profile. Being out of the active "game" she did let down her guard, thinking no one was about to come after her again.

Tammy has been too active with the agency in capturing others, or interrupting operations, to ever drop her guard permanently. It may be a bit late, but her new security measure for the leasing business is prudent.

Now, who has her in their sights and why?

Others have feelings too.