Tammy:Moving On - Chapter 23 "Stormy Weather"

Printer-friendly version
Moving On  

Part
 
Twenty Three

 

"Stormy weather"

 

 
Tuesday 9th May 2017 (Cont)
 

Tammy parked up behind her office and tucked the pharmacy bag out of sight under the passenger seat. The sky was looking ominous, although the path was still dry. She walked around to the bank and opted to use the ATM inside the branch, even though the surveillance meant her transaction could be monitored. She took £400 out of her personal account and tucked the stack of £20 notes away in her purse then strolled a few doors down to a stationers. Tammy went off a short mental checklist; buying a stack of blank discs and a pack of jewel cases with labels, paying with cash but ensuring she kept the receipt. By now the threatened rain had arrived so she briskly took herself back to the office.

Tammy burned the user file contents of the office PC onto a disk, then repeated the task onto a second disk. She printed labels with that day's date and slipped them into cases once she'd verified the data. One disk went into the office safe, the other into her bag. The secure phone rang.

"Tammy, it's Kevin."

"What can I do for you?"

"The Air Accident Investigation Branch were in contact with me this morning, they wanted to let me know what they're putting in their final report."

"Oh, okay?"

"Basically, the engine management unit was supposed to shut off the fuel supply once you were ten miles from land. It was a fairly complicated GPS device running on a Raspberry Pi micro-computer."

"So nothing different from what we found when Jim Surtees took a look at it?"

"Actually there was, the frame had been weakened so the plane could have broken up if you hit the water or suffered major G force."

"Damn, so no chance of getting out alive?"

"That was the intention, clearly. Tammy, none of this would have been known. So much would have been destroyed with a heavy ground impact or lost to the sea had you went down over water, there would have been no indication of sabotage. It could well have been ruled accidental or pilot error."

"And that would be the end of it. Is there a proven link to Penny Lavoska?"

"Yes, we had a forensic team examine the plane before the aircraft team took over. Although we only found your prints on the console, etc, we found some hairs under the pilot's seat. They've been linked to Ms Lavoska, and before you ask, we still don't yet know where she is."

"That's a shame."

"I said we didn't know where she is, but we do now know some of the places she's been to. Right now our theory is that she's out of the country."

"Hold on, I thought you could put a stop notice on her, valid at all the ports and seaports?"

"We did, but she used the channel tunnel last week and bought a ticket for cash at the terminal in Folkestone. She then passed through the French passport control and as she wasn't on their system, the Schengen database, she wasn't flagged up. The images we have aren't goood enough for a positive ID either."

"Great."

"Unfortunately whoever put the All Ports Notice out had forgotten that we don't operate a border point at Folkestone, but that's been fixed now. Officially, for the Schengen database, she's a person of interest; it wasn't easy to get her on that system but it definitely helped now we have evidence she was in your plane."

"My guess is that she won't come back using the tunnel?"

"No, our border controls are on the French side of the tunnel and she would likely be spotted. That is all the intel we have currently."

"More than what I had an hour ago. Thanks for keeping me in the loop. I promise to make it mutual."

"Best that can be done. I'm off." Kevin replied and disconnected.

Tammy leaned back in her chair and sighed. "Head on the swivel, people really are out to get me. Training up is definitely in order for me, plain simple training."

Tammy locked up then drove up to St Andrews School and parked outside the main entrance, finding Janet Adams as she walked inside.

"Oh, Tammy, long time no see?"

"It's been a while, Janet, how was the Caribbean?"

"It was wonderful, but I hear my temp wasn't any good?"

"I had a run in with her, but it seems the Head got the short straw."

"So he keeps telling me!" Janet looked down at the pharmacy bag, "I guess you're delivering?"

"Yes, I collected this lot for mum. Is she in?"

"Yes, but I just took a visitor in to see her, so she could be some time."

"Oh well, can I leave it with you?"

"Of course, Tammy. What are you doing with yourself these days?"

"I'm just about to finish the first year of my degree and I'm still running my company in town, it's above Sarah's shop."

"Okay, are you still involved in the theatre?"

"Not at the moment, my last production was Deathtrap, last year."

"I didn't get to see it, unfortunately."

"We had a few problems during the run."

"So I heard. I'm told that the Head's planning to do Macbeth in school in the autumn, it's next year's Shakespeare for the GCSE students."

"Really? I'll have to buy a ticket when they go on sale."

Tammy walked back to her car, she didn't feel as welcome in the school anymore but it wasn't because of anything that was said. In the past Janet would have taken her into the office, made her a coffee, instead of standing in the entrance hall. The bell for last period sounded as she pulled away.

 
Wednesday 10th May 2017
 

There were no classes scheduled for the day so Tammy went down to her office, a phone call came in as she was making her first coffee of the day.

"Smart Properties."

"Hello, it's James McNaughty at Dounraey, is that Miss Smart?"

"It is, how can I help you?"

"Is there any chance today of us looking at the property we asked about?"

"Sure, what time?"

"Eleven, is there parking outside?"

"Yes."

"That's a plan then."

Tammy got on with some work and made a dent in the inbox's unread queue. At ten forty-five she locked up and walked to Fore St. She unlocked the front door of number 12 and waited inside. After a second of thought she took out her phone and readied for a photo and video recording. Seeing two people exit a car and make their way toward the door, she took a picture of both the set to record video and audio.

"Miss Smart?"

"That's me, you must be James?"

"Indeed, and this is Kelly." He introduced the red head next to him. "If we take the property then Kelly and I will be based here."

The redhead nodded. "Hello."

"Well, why don't I give you the tour?" Tammy invited with a casual smile.

In the month since Tammy had been to the property it had been deep cleaned and redecorated. Any soft furnishings had been laundered or replaced and it had been aired so didn't have a lingering smell of new paint or detergents.

"Is the internet live?"

"Yes."

"Very good, I just need to run the plan past the senior manager."

"I'll email you a standard contract."

"Okay. What's the earliest we could get in?"

"If payment is made by Friday then how about Monday? I'll have my new assistant working with me by then."

"Fair enough, but I can't guarantee that the managers will move that quick."

"Well, I'm prepared to hold the place for you until next Friday but I would need confirmation by then. Shall I?"

"Understood. Yes, please."

Tammy checked through the building then locked up. She felt a few drops of the wet stuff as she walked back to the office and was grateful to get back inside before the deluge arrived.

A couple of new emails were waiting for her, the first confirmed that Joey had been security cleared and the second simply said "call me, Marcus" and a number.

She opted for the secure phone and was justified in her choice when the appropriate symbol lit on the display.

"Hi Tammy, I have an update for you."

"Okay."

"Those rogue faxes came from yourself."

"What? No way, Marcus!"

He laughed. "Got you!"

"Seriously, where did they come from?"

"From an internet connection that goes down to your own name."

"Shit. A guess; 12 Fore Street?"

"Correct on the first."

"So that was when Penny had the place?"

"Indeed, although she could likely have had someone else there?"

"Like Lucas or one of the girls who did my car?"

"Indeed, there's every chance she only stayed for a day at a time but provided keys to whoever else had it in for you?"

"The locks are high grade but I provided three sets of keys."

"For what it is worth,I hope you changed the locks?"

"Yes, of course, but what do you mean?"

"Old saying, 'locks keep the honest out'. Familiar with it?"

Tammy sighed. "If they really want in, they will."

"Locks can be bypassed. You had a course, did you not?"

"More like an introduction. They gave the impression that such skills would be of real use to me. Honestly I am surprised they even showed me a kit. Another addition for my list then? Perhaps a call is on order"

"Not a bad idea. What of CCTV?"

"On the office, not my properties."

"You should consider it."

"No, this is Thurso not Los Angeles."

"In any case, do you think those kids would have been so brazen unless an adult was pushing them along, providing money to harass you?"

"I suppose so, but the original problem with Lucas was last year?"

"Perhaps he didn't have Ms Lavoska's help then, in any case this is all speculation."

"Extrapolated from the known facts."

"Indeed, Tammy."

"Apparently the CAA's report on my plane will confirm what we knew, it had been tampered with."

"Source?"

"Met Police."

"Okay, was that it?"

"No, the frame had been weakened."

"So, she was taking no chances. That woman really doesn't like you."

"It's mutual."

"Fair enough. Now, are you busy the weekend after next?"

Tammy checked the calendar on her phone. "Saturday the twentieth?"

"That's it. I'm booking you on a course near Glasgow."

"Oh, okay. What's it for?"

"You'll need a swimsuit, basic black one-piece. Fly down there on the Thursday for a Friday start and it finishes on Sunday at lunchtime. I'll send you the details in a day or so."

Tammy finished the call and noted it was lunchtime. Outside it was still raining but she still had jobs to do. She called Tom Miller.

"It's Tammy Smart, is the room still available to let?"

"Yes, I'm closing at two today though."

"I'm on my way."

Tammy walked to Reids bakery first, dodging the raindrops. Suitably equipped she returned to her car and drove around to Mill Lane.

"Now, what did we agree?"

"Forty a week, cash. Here's eight weeks' worth." She handed over £320, which Tom slid under the counter before retrieving two keys.

"The small one is for the security shutter and the large one is the safe. I'll walk you round so you can see which door it is."

The rear had a concrete loading dock with a four metre roller door and a smaller adjacent one. A set of steps was to the side of the dock, by the smaller door. Tom unlocked the shutter and gave it a tug.

"It's a bit stiff, nothing a good spritz of oil won't sort. Be careful you don't catch your hand when you pull it up." He closed and locked the shutter. "Have a go."

Tammy found that it was indeed a problem to open, but either brute force or lubrication would resolve that problem. Once inside, Tom pointed out the light switch and, as Tammy still had the keys, he suggested she opened the safe.

That lock was easier, much easier.

"The shelves are at the bottom, if you need them and the clips are in a bag in the corner."

The space was smaller than she'd imagined but would do. She reached into her bag and dropped the DVD case into the safe before locking it. She'd come back and set some of the shelves to keep organization.

"Are you sure that's all necessary?"

"If I lose my office computer due to theft, fire or some other disaster, then at least I won't lose the data and I can continue in business with only a little inconvenience. I'll be dropping a disk into the safe a couple of times a week."

"It still seems like a lot of effort, not that I'm complaining about the income!"

"Well, my family has other businesses so I'll suggest we do a data dump for each of them."

"And share the cost?"

"Something like that."

"Okay, by the way the connecting door is bolted on both sides and is deadlocked. I have a spare for the roller door but that's the only key for the safe, so don't lose it."

"Thanks."

"By the way, did you want a receipt?"

"No need, call it a holiday fund; I won't tell the taxman if you won't."

Back outside Tammy noticed a light above the door. "Where's the switch for that?"

"It's automatic, triggered by anyone walking on the loading dock or by a high vehicle stopping here. You'll need the light if you come down here after dark."

Tammy took herself back to the office and started to put a guide together to help Joey ease into the job, munching her cheese roll as she worked. Her first task was a list of the various trades folk she used for cleaning, repairs or redecoration. She then extracted a list of the current occupied properties, together with a list of those vacant. Of course that list could well change over the next few days, it was then she remembered to email a leasing contract to James McNaughty. She updated the property database accordingly and took it off the website.

Outside the rain was coming down heavily and it looked like it was set to rain through to the morning.

Tammy continued to prepare an 'idiot guide' for Joey and came to a section about backing up the office files and where to store the discs. If Tammy intended to use the safe for her grab bag then it couldn't be used for the discs. She couldn't think of anyone in Thurso who might stock what she wanted so she pulled up the Argos website, a box shifting firm that still had physical stores across the UK.

The Wick store had a safe for under £40 so she put a reservation on the item and locked up the office. The drive over to Wick wasn't pleasant, with reduced visibility and too many idiotic drivers. It was near three when she pulled up outside the store, having had to cross the town. It was nearing twenty minutes later when she walked out of the store carrying her purchase, it wasn't the speedy 'click and collect' service that was advertised. The box was secured in the boot of her green mini and she drove back across Wick, just as the schools were emptying.

Tammy showed her pass at the gate to Wick airport and drove down to the Smart Aviation hanger. Her plane was outside, getting wet.

"Err, Jim, what's going on?"

"We needed to move several planes out in order to get one from the back of the hanger, yours wasn't needed so we're leaving it outside until the space is available. I have one helicopter inbound that needs an overhaul so that takes precedence at the moment. Did you need it today?"

"No, but I'm flying South next Thursday."

"Okay but try to fly a few more hours every month, so if the CAA check your logbook they can see that you are making good use of the licence."

"It's not that long since I flew down to Suffolk and back, and in a week's time I'm off to Glasgow. I don't think my hours are a problem."

"But that's only a handful of take-offs and landings; they count as well."

"Okay, point taken. I'll take her out at the weekend, perhaps over the water to Kirkwall or Sumburgh?"

"Is there any news from Farnborough?"

"The AAIB's report will be out soon."

"Good, maybe we can then deal with the insurance company."

"Is that wise, they'll be asking awkward questions."

"Talk to your contacts then, but don't expect an easy ride from the insurance company."

Tammy frowned the saw something strange. A man wearing what looked like a cowboy's hat and riding boots walking around an old Huey helicopter.

"Jim. Who is that?"

Jim eyed him warily. "Doug Rowe. Crazy Yank."

"Is he seriously wearing spurs?"

"Fraid so Tammy. He's over here for that American service Petroleum Helicopters Incorporated. He dropped off some people early this morning and had to take a break. He's mostly up at Aberdeen."

"Don't they use the same helicopters we do?"

"For the service, yes. He's a contractor though, owns his outright. The man is insane they tell me. Ex-military."

"What's that painted on the nose?" Tammy pointed to a yellow and black shield with horse head to the upper corner.

"An American Army regiment. Cavalry. Tammy, take my advice on this. The man has several violations, the only reason they keep him, is because he won't refuse a flight no matter how bad the conditions are. He's not safe."

"I was just curious." Tammy replied.

People watched Tammy and now she knew for certain they would at least try to compromise her plane. A complete stranger with a reputation that made people want to not even associate might be helpful in a time of serious need. She made a note to find out more about him.

Tammy's phone rang with a call from Cathy, she waved goodbye to Jim and climbed back into her car.

"Yes Cathy, what can I do for you?"

"Do you have anything planned for the evening?"

"No."

"Right, dinner at mine. I'll let your cook know."

Tammy drove back across to Thurso and witnessed a few near misses as impatient drivers took irrational chances in front of her. The rain was easing but spray from other vehicles made visibility even worst than earlier.

Tammy pulled into the McPherson driveway just after four, pulling in behind the St Andrews minibus.

She parked up, out of the way, so the minibus could continue its journey into town.

"Ah, Miss Tammy, the mistress is waiting for you in the conservatory."

"Thank you Thomas."

Cathy waved for Tammy to close the door as she entered.

"The girls have been told to get changed out of their uniforms and do their homework, so we have a few minutes of peace."

"Okay, is there a problem?"

"It's Linda, things aren't moving quickly enough for her."

"Like her name change hasn't gone through?"

"Yes."

"And I guess she's only on blockers?"

"Yes, how do you know?"

"I saw something earlier this week and put two and two together. What's the hold-up?"

"Her mother doesn't want to relinquish her parental rights so the school can't intervene."

"I would have thought her mother could apply for the name change, but is her father interfering?"

"He's been convicted of a firearms offence and they're divorcing, so the mother should be able to apply by herself but it seems the father isn't going to let this go. Instead of being a simple administrative exercise with a solicitor it'll have to go to court."

"Oh dear, so it could get messy?"

"Yes, and Linda is stuck in the middle of this."

"Is Linda over sixteen yet?"

"Yes, her birthday was a few weeks ago."

"Well, she could apply in her own name, leave the parents out of it."

"Can she?"

"Pretty sure." Tammy looked it up. "She needs a form, her birth certificate and it's £40 if you're born in Scotland."

"She was born in England, near Coventry."

"That complicates things but I'm sure your solicitor could sort it out, so long as Linda makes the application."

"Can't the parents change her name back?"

"Not without Linda's agreement, that's the law."

"Understood but right now she's petrified her exam results will have the wrong name on them, the exam papers have Lyndon on them."

"Because the papers are all printed months in advance. It doesn't matter if the exam board issue the GCSE results in Lyndon's name but can reprint them, let the school handle that once the name change comes through. As she's staying on for sixth form it's not an issue."

"Okay."

"Now, why isn't she on hormones yet?"

"Her mother didn't want to upset her father in case he used Linda as a weapon in the divorce."

"What? Sod that, Linda is the most important one here. She really needs independent legal advice. Does my mother still have in loco parentis power?"

"Yes."

"Then get hold of Professor Roberts."

"He's retired, Tammy. In any case I think your mother can only go through the GP. Don't forget you were over eighteen and that makes a huge difference."

Further discussion was impossible when three teenage girls arrived in the conservatory.

"Aunt Tammy!"

"That didn't last long." Cathy remarked.

"I am done for, it seems." Tammy joked as all three clamoured to hug her.

up
374 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Stormy Weather.

smdani4mm's picture

From what you said - Let me see if i got this right. 1. (Obvious) Rain, 2. (Not so obvious) Plane issues, Fax Issues, Safe Issues, and Linda's Legal issues

SmDani4

Tammy is awesome.

WillowD's picture

And so is her author. Thank you Shiraz.

Questions ?

I don't remember how her plane could have been gotten to if it was in the Hangar all the time? Of course, today would be an exception. They, who ever that is, really are out to get her. Sad actually. That's a lot of stress...

I'm not sure why officials would feel they have the right to question her flight certificate owing to insufficient flight time?

Nice Episode.

Gwen

If I remember right it was

If I remember right it was her first plane that was tampered with not the new one

I Would Be Very Suspicious

joannebarbarella's picture

I have never heard of anyone claiming to be named McNaughty. The normal Scottish variations on that clan name are McNaughton or McNaught (although there are others). It sounds like the sort of error that might be committed by a foreigner who may speak good English but with a slightly faulty knowledge of the English/Scottish family names.

Enjoying the read,

British Law is very different than US Laws when it comes to kids.

The new plane

Podracer's picture

- is currently parked outside, and exposed to not only the elements, but external threats. Of which there have always been too many for most people's safety and sanity.

"Reach for the sun."

Plane

I wonder if it would be possible to install CCTV on the hangar so anyone approaching it or planes parked near it could be picked up?

Meanwhile, when Tammy's not training to deal more effectively with situations where people (both "Petals of interest" and the UK security / intelligence agencies) are trying to kill her and not running the office, she's still needed as an unofficial School Transition Problems Consultant.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!