Tammy:Moving On - Chapter 11 "Sub Judice"

Printer-friendly version
Moving On  

Part
 
Eleven

 

"Sub Judice"

 

 
Thursday 20th April 2017
 

Tammy was determined to get through the day without incident and decided to make an early start. Her first stop was the bakery then she continued to the college. One advantage of her early arrival was that she bagged a premium parking spot next to a designated walkway and confirmed it was covered by cameras, assuming they were working!

She arrived in the lobby shortly after nine although her first class wasn't due to start until ten so Tammy bought a coffee and was going to take a seat when Freddie Flint spotted her. "Come to my office please, bring your drink."

Waiting there was Ben Franklin.

"Good morning Tammy."

"Morning Ben, how's Sandy?"

"She's fine, how about you?"

"Ups and downs."

Freddie looked as if he was uncomfortable with this intimacy between tutor and student.

"Look, Ben, Miss Smart, it was brought to my attention that you were familiar with each-other and there might be a problem in the class? I spoke to the Vice-Chancellor and he's said he wants to see evidence of an issue before he'll do anything, ok?"

Ben and Tammy nodded.

"It might help me if I knew your connection?"

"As I said before, I knew Ben's wife before I met Ben. Later on we had some security issues at home and Ben attended in a professional capacity."

"Now, Tammy, I understand you had a problem when you left here on Tuesday?"

"Someone keyed my car."

"I am told you demanded video from the car-park CCTV?"

"'Demanded' is the wrong word. I asked, but they refused."

"So you can't positively identify if the culprit was a student?"

Tammy smiled, "despite their unhelpful response I have been able to provide the police with video, from another source, of the vandal in action. It wouldn't be appropriate for me to say who it is in case it prejudices their imminent appearance in front of a Sheriff's court. All I will say is that I won't be intimidated and I won't let this be swept under the carpet."

Ben smiled. "I've seen Tammy deal with some serious problems, I wouldn't get in her way if I were you!"

"I wasn't planning to get in the way, Ben, but we have rules here and I hope Miss Smart won't be making allegations in class. Similarly, talk of your previous escapades is definitely inappropriate."

Tammy and Ben both laughed, Tammy took refuge in her coffee leaving Ben to answer.

"Freddie, between Tammy and myself we probably have enough experience to deal with a zombie attack, but I don't think we'll be discussing or rehearsing that in a classroom."

"I'm glad to hear it, although I've slightly perturbed by what you might imply about Miss Smart's 'experience'."

"Which I am not allowed to say and you're not allowed to hear." Tammy finished her coffee. "If we're done?"

"Yes, I think that's all Miss Smart, thank you."

Tammy let herself out but left Ben Franklin in the room. Tammy was acutely aware that Ben had not been completely careful with his choice of words, Tammy was supposed to be a normal 20 year old girl and not some zombie hunter.

Tammy needed a wee so chose the ladies room just off the lobby. Of the three cubicles, two were occupied and the third had an 'Out Of Order' sticker on the door. Tammy didn't have time to find anywhere else so checked the third cubicle, deciding it was safe to use.

A short time later she heard the other two cubicles empty and the occupants left, Tammy was just about done when two girls entered the room.

"I checked she was still in the building so you could do her car, I thought you messaged me to say both sides were done?"

"Yes, I did."

"Well, there was nothing on the passenger side when I came past just now."

"That's impossible."

Tammy was in the cubicle nearest the door and the two girls took the remaining cubicles, she had recognised Lorna's voice, but not the first speaker. Tammy looked down and saw a bag on the floor, but didn't recognise it as Lorna's. She grabbed one of the new spray cans from her bag and, using the flush to disguise the sound, lightly sprayed the corner of the black and cream bag. She quickly left, and heard a cubicle door open as she exited into the corridor. Tammy headed up a floor to another washroom to clean her hands.

She made it down to the coffee bar with a few minutes before the first class, walking into the lecture room as the bell sounded. Tammy took her usual seat at the back as Freddie Flint and Ben Franklin walked in.

"Good morning everyone, my apologies for the problem earlier this week but we now have Ben Franklin who will lead your classes on law and order. Ben is a retired Police Officer with several decades of experience."

There was a muted sound that came from Tammy's right, she couldn't quite work out what it was, or who made it.

Freddie walked off and Ben stepped forward.

"Good morning everyone. As you know, we're only a few weeks away from the first year exams so we will be concentrating on revision. Today we'll concentrate on the causes of criminality."

There was another noise from her right, with an apparent echo from a few rows in front, "pig" was the word. Tammy was certain that Ben had also heard it, but he continued.

"Let's have some suggestions for the causes of criminality?"

Slowly suggestions started to come and Ben wrote the more sensible ones on a whiteboard. His eyes were darting across the room and at one point settled on Tammy. She shook her head just enough for him to get the message. Unfortunately one or two of the class noticed.

Ben ploughed on, almost losing control at one point. A suggestion of 'envy' was offered as a reason for criminality.

"Can you give me an example?"

"Yeah, when someone else can afford a private plane."

A group, including Lorna, turned and pointed at Tammy, "like that bitch!"

"Stop that! I will not tolerate behaviour like that in my class,"

"Is she your girlfriend?"

"This is your last chance to keep such opinions to yourself."

"So it's true?"

"Stop that now!" He pointed at the miscreant, who Tammy now identified as Corinne.

She tried to argue, swearing profusely, so Ben pushed a button on the lectern. "No, you cannot use language like that in here. You can wait to see me after the class or go home and see me tomorrow. Either way, you are out of this class for the day."

The door opened and a college security guard was stood waiting. Ben pointed at Corinne, "she's leaving."

Lorna looked as if she was also going to argue but simply whispered something to Corinne who now started walking towards the door. A minute later the room was quiet, although Tammy made a note of the bag Corinne was carrying and confirmed she was most likely the second voice in the loo that morning.

"Let me make it quite clear that this is a place of education. When one of you decides you don't need an education, everyone suffers. I'd also remind you that a pass in each module is required for you to continue to the second year of this course. Those who have no intention of behaving can leave now."

No-one moved or spoke. "Okay, let's continue, can I have some more suggestions for causes of criminality?"

There was a knock on the door half an hour later and Sgt St James entered the room, firstly to speak with Ben.

"Miss Smart, this officer would like a word?"

Some noises were heard as Tammy walked down to the police officer. "Could you come with me, please, Miss Smart?"

She could hear laughter as the door closed.

"What's up Sgt?"

"I was coming here to deal with another issue when I found a female loitering by your car. When I questioned her she claimed she knew nothing about the damage to your car. Strange, seeing how I hadn't mentioned it."

"Indeed, by the way do you have a UV lamp in your car?"

"Not normally but one of the SOCOs left one there yesterday, why?"

Tammy told him about her experience in the loo that morning.

"You used a UV-reactive spray?"

"Yes, it comes off after a few washes and can't be seen in normal light."

"She's in the back of the car at the moment, I can check her bag."

It didn't take long for the UV lamp to show the corner Tammy had sprayed.

"So, young lady, what's it to be?"

"I didn't do anything!"

"Perhaps not, but you clearly knew about the damage."

"No I didn't."

"Really? When I found you, your finger was following the line of a scratch in the door, one that's been covered over by a coat of paint? That makes you an accessory."

"What's that bitch been saying?" She pointed at Tammy.

"Not a lot so far but I'm sure she'll make a statement, plus the video evidence of course."

"Video, nah, there's no way we were on any video!"

Sgt St James arrested Corinne for criminal damage, although that charge would likely change. He called for support. "Miss Smart, you can go back, I'll come along when another officer arrives."

"Sure."

Tammy arrived back as the lecture room emptied for the morning break. She walked up to Ben and quietly told him what had just happened.

"Stuart has arrested Corinne, but he's not finished."

"Is she responsible?"

"Not exactly, but I think I need to review the footage that I downloaded. I might have missed something."

"Well, don't say any more."

"I won't. I think I'll get a coffee."

First, Tammy needed another wee so she went upstairs and used the facilities there, avoiding the loo nearest to the coffee bar. She used the stairs on the way down and looked through the glass wall at the car-park. A police van arrived and Corinne was being transferred from the Sgt's car, A minute later Stuart St James walked back into the college.

Tammy continued her descent and went to queue for a drink, hoping that the officer wouldn't gravitate towards her. She needn't have worried as Ben was in the queue ahead of her, the pair immediately walked away without waiting for a drink, leaving Tammy third place in the queue.

Fifteen minutes later the class resumed although Stuart was already stood with Ben. Lorna was one of the last ones to return.

"Could you come with me please."

"I'm busy."

"This isn't negotiable."

"Sod off, pig."

He pulled out his set of cuffs and quickly restrained her. "You are under arrest for criminal damage, you do not have to say ......" He continued the caution as she was led, unwillingly, out of the lecture room. Lorna wasn't happy, but she couldn't get away.

Ben regained control of the room one the door was closed.

"That's a first hand example of an arrest, and we'll cover that in revision next week. Needless to say, please do not say anything about what you witnessed in case it prejudices the case. Also do not presume guilt, that is a key factor of Scottish law, under which you are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Now, let's explore the causes of crime in more detail."

Naturally, by lunchtime, the whole college was awash with rumours about Corinne and Lorna. Ben was seen heading upstairs to the senior management suite and Tammy could only shrug and claim she knew nothing.

She found a quiet spot and called her solicitor.

"Jeremiah, there's been a development."

"I see, what has happened?"

Tammy summarised the previous few days and promised to email over the photos, video and supporting information.

"I take it that you've not used any illegal methods to gather the evidence?"

"Not at all, I'll happily say that in court if necessary."

"Good, I hate surprises in court. I guess you'll be making a statement?"

"Yes, but I don't know when."

"I'd appreciate a copy, as soon as possible."

"Of course."

The sun had broken through the clouds so she settled on a picnic table outside the café, her bakery visit had meant she had a filled roll and a cake for her lunch. Gradually others came outside and it wasn't long before Tammy was noticed.

"Hey, how do you know that new tutor?"

Tammy looked up, the questioner was Gillian.

"His wife was the musical director at the Mill Theatre when I appeared in West Side Story a few years ago."

"Is he still married?"

"Yes, and, for the record, I am not his girlfriend."

"I thought I'd seen you with James McInlay?"

"Not any more, I dumped him."

"Oh, I might have a go at him myself?"

"Don't bother, he's already moved on."

"Anyway, what did that copper want you for? You didn't seem particularly bothered when you came back in?"

"He needed to clarify something, then he said he was here for another reason."

"Like nicking Lorna? What's she done now?"

"Umm, remember what Ben said about discussing the case?"

"Yeah, but he can't hear us? I mean, she was a right bully at Thurso High."

"I didn't know. sorry but I need a wee."

Tammy didn't need the loo but it was a convenient escape option. She went to the ground floor loo, now that Lorna and Corinne were out of the way. Although Tammy wasn't sure anyone else was a part of Lorna's group, she checked around her before going into the washroom. As a precaution she set her phone to record, something she should have done earlier.

Back in the college foyer, Ben and a suited man found her.

"Tammy, this is Mr Ford, he's a vice-chancellor here and would like to ask you a few questions about what's been happening."

"I'm sorry Ben, Mr Ford, but my guess is that the matter is now sub judice or will be shortly. I'd also want my solicitor in any official meeting and I haven't yet fully briefed him."

Ben nodded, "as you heard, Miss Smart has the same opinion as myself on this matter."

"I want evidence that you are not bringing this University into disrepute by having someone arrested without evidence?"

"Then check Tuesday's CCTV for the car-park, around 1020 in the morning. I would have been able to tell you which camera but your very helpful staff refused me access and insisted that the University has no responsibility?"

"They were following policy."

"But my guess is that you can check the system yourself? Please don't delete it as the police will no doubt want a copy."

"I don't like your tone Miss Smart."

"Just remember that none of us is above the law, check with the University Legal Advisor if you need clarification of that point?"

Tammy walked away before the Vice-Chancellor could answer her riposte, remembering that her phone was still recording, she'd save that for later just in case it was ever needed. Whilst her phone was in her hand she realised she'd missed her morning appointments.

"I'm sorry Sandy, it's been a mad week, can I rebook?"

"I've got nothing before next week."

"I'm free on Monday?"

"We're closed for staff training, sorry."

"Wednesday?"

"Nine o'clock?"

"Hmmm, I have to take my car in next Wednesday and then I'm on foot."

"Next slot is at two, that's for your hair and a wax?"

"Okay, I'll take it."

"Don't miss it, I hate having a stylist doing nothing for half an hour."

"I'll put it in my organiser, I promise I'll make it."

She spent the afternoon in a group of six students discussing that morning's education, particularly the causes of crime, although it wasn't long before they were all asking Tammy questions.

"For the last time, I'm not saying anything and I told the Vice-Chancellor the same thing."

"What do you have against Lorna?"

"I'm sorry, but I'm not going to say anything."

"Yeah, but ....?"

Tammy picked up her bag and headed to the door. "I'll revise at home where I won't be interrupted by questions."

Her phone started to ring.

"Hi Mum?"

"We have a problem, Tammy, we've just found out Linda's father is on the way here and Linda has asked for you."

up
407 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nicked!

Alecia Snowfall's picture

two bitches nicked; YAY! This Linda situation doesn't sound good though.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Linda follows the trend

Linda follows the trend

Unless I am mistaken all of the girls thus far have had issues at their start, with Tammy's being the least dramatic yet most dangerous due to things other than her transition

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

The chancilor had better tread lightly

just because you declare yourself not liable does not make it so.Civil cases in the states have different standards than criminal cases, Unlike some Tammy can afford legal fees if she goes after the university so their deep pockets won't be of much help for them. Now if I can only remember who Linda is.

Same problem here :)

Now if I can only remember who Linda is.

The latest "victim" of the gender-bending water at St.Andrew's?

Right...

...though the Character List hasn't been updated to include her yet. Just looked her up; last we heard her parents had burned her female clothes at home and were planning to remove 'Lyndon' from the school, over her objections.

Eric

I said ages ago that there

I said ages ago that there was something in the water at that school lol

I said ages ago

I remembered that hence my use of this metaphor :)

It is unfair to

Sammi's picture

St Andrews to blame the school for the skewed population, as it is after all a boarding school.

The stories of several students at St Andrews, were that parents sent them there from all over the UK, so they'd not be embarrassments to the parents in one form or another.

"Out of Sight = Out of Mind"

There are many stories of sons of aristos being sent to India or some such out of the way place, back in the day, so they cause no further embarrassment to the family or aristocracy in general.

From the short conversation in Chapter 10
Lyndon\Linda was sent to St Andrews, then an all boys school, because Lyndon\Linda didn't fit the mould dad had in mind, now the other wardrobe has been found ....


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

I agree Wendy

Sammi's picture

I may be reading too much into the VC's motives but he does seem to be interested in things other than safety of the students.

If the CCTV footage has an accident after that conversation he could see the wrong side of a 'Obsrtution of Justice' charge.

Tammy walked away before the Vice-Chancellor could answer her riposte, remembering that her phone was still recording, she'd save that for later just in case it was ever needed. Whilst her phone was in her hand she realised she'd missed her morning appointments.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

I suspect...

I suspect...
he's daddy or uncle to Lorna...or worse, in a relationship with either girl. Then again, there's always the twist that he's involved with Tammy's nemesis the "Lane" twins in some unknown fashion

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Linda

WillowD's picture

I am also wondering who Linda is. According to the character index Linda Young is the aunt of Christopher Jones and the Wife of PC Patrick Trethgarwyn. And this additional information is still bringing nothing to mind. Perhaps it is time I did a Tammy marathon read to refresh my memory.

Yup. That sounds like a good enough excuse.

https://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/book-page/62512/tamaras-tales...

Linda????

Sammi's picture

If memory serves

You remember that Tammy was called to St Andrews by Joan, which she had trouble with a staff mamber refusing entry, when Tammy finaly got to Joans office there was a student there

I believe one of the things Tammy said was "I was the first girl to attend this school!'


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

It was only a week ago that

It was only a week ago that she was introduced, has she already been forgotten?!?!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

intimacy between tutor and student.

I'd had loved it had he trolled:

"I bounced her on my knee when she was but a bairn ... "

After reading this

"That's a first hand example of an arrest, and we'll cover that in revision next week.

I needed a wee! :) <3

Good Posting

Plenty of positive action. Sounds like even with Ben's likely warning about dealing with Tammy, the school administrator didn't listen. It won't go well for him if he tries to cause Tammy trouble. Thanks for sharing.

I don't know, however the way

I don't know, however the way things seem to be going at the moment, perhaps Tammy should get her attorney to escort her around for the next few weeks. She does seem to be the focal point of everything going down around the University at this time. He would most definitely also be earning his retainer money as well.
The Vice-Chancellor needs some refresher training regarding WHY there are cameras around the Campus grounds in the first place, and that the police and/or attorneys can ask for film copies or digital copies at any time with the appropriate court orders. So I am also guessing here that so could Tammy if she also had a court order.

"We have a problem, Tammy,"

oh boy. just when she gets one problem under control another pops up ...

DogSig.png

Don't Talk In The Loo

joannebarbarella's picture

Little ears may be listening!

Two down, how many to go?

Jamie Lee's picture

Lorna and Corinne need to immediately see a tree surgeon and get those sticks up their butts quickly removed, they're affecting their thinking. Those two think they can do in the real world the same they did in high school, but don't realize this time when they get caught, it isn't just school suspension they're facing.

If the University isn't liable for damages in the car park does that mean they aren't liable if someone is attacked there as well? If they aren't liable isn't it a waste of money having the CCTVs?

That Vice-Chancellor needs to gain information before coming unglued. If he heard there was an incident in the car park then maybe he needs to view the tapes before getting on Tammy's case. And if he continues trying to gain information about Tammy's relationships he just might find himself facing people he never knew existed, answering questions he'd rather not answer.

Others have feelings too.