What Maisie Knew: 45. The Low Profile Returns

Printer-friendly version

Our two visitors started shifting anxiously in their seats. I couldn't imagine what was on their minds.

"Uh, one reason we came over—"

"...if you don't mind..."

What Maisie Knew: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
45. The Low Profile Returns

 

Maybe Misty had warned Mrs. Wix and Ms. Overmore that my Dad didn't know about her, but in any case, as soon as they saw him, the two immediately switched gears.

Mrs. Wix told my father about Sister Honororia's leaving – which he already knew — and said it was because of her brother's role in my kidnapping. He already knew that, too, but it left him to infer that our crying had something to do with... well, with something, somewhere in that bundle of information. At least he could feel that we didn't need him to do anything.

Still, the next thing she said was a total surprise. She told us that Ms. Overmore was going to be the new principal! "She'll be the first principal who isn't a nun in the history of the school!" Mrs. Wix announced proudly.

Ms. Overmore, in her turn, as part of the new old-friends mutual-admiration society, said, "They did ask you first, though."

"And you said no?" I asked.

Mrs. Wix smiled. "I'm taking a sabbatical year. I need some time to look at my life. I've been so closed up and inside myself ever since Misty died — which means my whole adult life. You may not realize this, Marcie, but I'm still pretty young, and I've been hiding under a rock all these years. I've got to shake myself! I need to go places and do things."

"You need to get your groove back, girl!" Ms. Overmore joked.

"Well, good for you!" I said. (It seemed like the right thing to say.)

Mom said some encouraging things as well, and then our two visitors started shifting anxiously in their seats. I couldn't imagine what was on their minds.

"Uh, one reason we came over—"

"...if you don't mind..."

"We were hoping you'd let us see the house a little bit..."

"...if we're not intruding."

My mother was only too happy to oblige. She explained, much to my embarrassment, that Maisie — my Maisie — — had done a great deal of the work, and pointed out many specific examples.

The room they mainly wanted to see, it turned out, was my bedroom. They oohed and aahed, and loved everything. "It's so different from how it used to be!" Mrs. Wix exclaimed. "This used to be our room — Misty's and mine — and now one girl lives in it alone!"

"The three of us spent hours here – years," Ms. Overmore declared. "A lot of it camped on the floor of the dressing room."

They were both astonished at how small the dressing room was. They both declared that they "remembered it being much larger."


After the tour, we had a late cup of tea, and then our visitors took their leave.

"I'm so glad you knew Misty," Mrs. Wix told me, her eyes shining. "She was a lovely person, a wonderful sister, and a very good friend. Now, thanks to you and Susan she's moved on to a better place, and Yvette and I have patched up a good old friendship gone bad." She gave me an awkward, if enthusiastic, hug, followed by a kiss on both cheeks from Ms. Overmore.

The two went off, arm in arm, into the Christmas evening.

Mom put her arms around me, apparently oblivious to the cold outside air. She rested her chin on the top of my head and started talking, "Oh, Marcie. Life has been one crazy adventure after another ever since you became a girl. As frightening and stressful as it gets, though, I don't know whether I'd want it any other way. I mean, look at all the good you've done," and she gestured with her hand at the retreating figures of my high-school teachers. "Even though you were in awful danger, you kept your head and came through, and put a bad man behind bars, where he belongs."

I heaved a big sigh, and said, "Yeah, but this time really did it for me. I am SO through with any kind of action or adventures. From now on I'm going to live a quiet life, and REALLY keep a low profile for once."

Mom held me in silence for a moment, then I realized she was shaking. I turned my head and saw that she was stifling a laugh. When I frowned in distress, the laugh just burst out of her.

"Oh, Marcie! I'll believe that when I see it!"

I rolled my eyes. Mothers!


This is the end of What Maisie Knew


 

© 2007 by Kaleigh Way

up
140 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

continuing

Marcie's adventures will continue on Monday, June 2.

yayyyyyyy

JUNE???? JUNE???? WHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank's picture

What am I going to do now every morning before I go to bed? I'm in a routine now Kaleigh!!! Suppose I'll have to find one of those heavy whatcahmacallit things...leather cover with paper inside...ooohhhh Books...that's what it is...

DARN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All kidding aside, I feel a tad let down as to the title and which Maisie really knew anything. I guess they made up on the phone and that's that? Is there more conflict to come before Maisie straightens out?

[SIGH]

Huggles :) :)

Alexis

Hugs

Frank

The old saying

Edeyn ... is, "You can't judge a book by its cover," and I would guess the way that applies to stories found online as, "you can't judge a story by its title."

Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

Marcie's Low Profile?

I seriously doubt it.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Thanks for Wrapping it Up...

...though I was still looking for Misty to reappear and wave goodbye or something.

Eric

(How about finishing Short Chapters during Marcie's hiatus? (g))

Short Chapters

Finishing Short Chapters will be my priority. You'll see the next chapter Monday.

Great!

Great! Great! I was enjoying Short Chapters. It will be good to read it again. Great! (Jumping up and down Tigger style)

I am a grain of sand on a near beach; a nova in the sky, distant and long.
In my footprints wash the sea; from my hands flow our universe.
Fact and fiction sing a legendary song.
Trickster/Creator are its divine verse.

--Old Man CoyotePuma

Thanks Kaleigh

Like many others, this has been daily pre-work entertainment for me.

Types of Endings

There are different types of endings, and I don't just mean happy, sad, ironic and such. This strikes me less as the ending of a print story, and more like the ending of a half-hour TV sitcom. In other words, it's "only" the end of an episode, with the implied (or, in this case, specific) promise of a new story to come.

Like a sitcom, there are still issues that the audience/readers care about, and most of these are based in the interactions of the characters.

In classic sitcoms of the "golden age" of television, all the emotional turmoil of the episode had to be wrapped up at the end of each episode, so we could "ooooh!" and "ahhhh!" and be fresh to start the next one/script the following week, with nothing left to carry over but the "warm fuzzies" for the characters.

This story had so much ups and downs and tension, that it's a challenge to wrap it up, even in a five-part ending like it had. I think it was done admirably well, but with a little story residue which, while unlike a sitcom, has a little bit in common with a soap opera.

Regardless, it's a thrilling story, I enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to the next story sequence! Thanks, Kaleigh!

Really Top Hole and Spiffing…

… as they used to say in 1930's and 40's girl's school stories. A lovely happy ending, Kaleigh, and I am looking forward, to Marcie's return in June.

So, girl, are you going to have a holiday (vacation) from writing, or will we be hearing more from Short Chapters who seems to have faded into the distance?

Hugs,

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Not to mention . . .

A wizard ending!

I say, that was absolutely fabulous. I am actually really sad that this has ended, but am seriously looking forward to the next one.

Never again will I wonder "what's the worst that can happen?"

Wonderful!

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

This Coming Century

Kaleigh...what a grand set of 2 stories you have spun for us: 54 Episodes of Rules are Rules, then 45 episodes of What Maisie Knew. The first chapter of your next "gotta read it" starting on June 2 will be your 100th! Thanks for your fine storytelling, keeping us enthralled day by day. I look forward to your next 3 sets...you did say that didn't you? Please...please...please...Marcie's just too fine a character to stop writing about!

Thanks for pointing it out, Petra

I never realized it would be the 100th.

I think it will be a good one... I wrote it last week, and laughed a lot while writing, if that's any indication of anything. (Maybe just my mental status!)

Good to hear!

It is a GREAT sign ! It means no writer's block and the ideas are flowing.

I doubt anybody would care if you grew three heads and sprouted another pair of arms and proclaimed yourself to be actually Brahma as long as you kept writing !

Kim

Well done, Kaleigh!

This has been a mammoth effort, and we have enjoyed all 99 episodes so far, as well as the Short Chapters ones and the fairy tales. You have a great talent, and we are looking forward to catching up with "Sh Ch" and longing for Marcie to return in June; Low Profile? You must be kidding!

Thank you, Kaleigh dear, for entertaining us.

Hugs,

Hilary and Trish

nice calm ending

But to me it seems to still leave Maisie hanging. That girl seems better but still not much about her situation is resolved. And like everyone else, IMHO the chances of Marcie keeping a low profile are slim to none. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

woody

Maisie left hanging

She is going to hang there a while. Her father will keep her in California for a bit.

Marcie can't resolve Maisie's issues, and Maisie's not Marcie. She doesn't have Marcie's resilience or emotional stability. She doesn't trust her own family.

Maisie has a lot to go through, and there is no guarantee (or even likelihood) that she'll ever have a simple, normal, happy life.

She will be back, though! Maisie, Marcie, and Susan are BFF, so be ready!

That told me something...

Edeyn She doesn't trust her own family.
That would be why I identified with Maisie. I couldn't figure it out before. I don't smoke. I'm playfully disrespectful to my mother, instead of seriously. I spent my childhood at less than half of the poverty line. I was never an only child, and the eldest child in the family was an only child for all of 3 minutes before I came along. And... trust. I trusted my twin sister until she achieved Emancipated Minor status when we were 15. I trusted my younger sister until she was 2 (and I was 9). I trusted my mother until I was 11 when I realized she was... well... stupid -- this is not just a child's eyes, my mother really is a space cadet. I trusted my grandmother until I the second time I ever saw her. The family members I actually trust at this point are a very short list, though my twin sister is one of those.

Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

Marcie Donner Story

Please Mum may I have more?

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Did Marcie miss an opportunity?

With a changing of the guard, perhaps Marcie can effect a change in the school uniform? It has been some time since the school uniform was updated and with all that has happened and with what Marcie did to help everyone, perhaps some stylish uniforms would be in order.

See how the storey has progressed?

It now has very little to do with transgender/transsexual matters and is just about a high school girl and her wacky adventures. And this is how it should be. Marcie has matured in her identity to the point that the transsexual part is just incidental to who she is; this mimics life very closely. Of course she still has to be concern with her birth defect but it is just one of those personal secrets that we all have, whether it be a secret craving for chocolate ices at 3:00 am, or the fact that one was born with the wrong genitals.

Who'd have known?

When I read the first chapter of the series, I remember thinking that the idea that started this whole adventure for Marcie was weak. Yet, your writing style with your unique humor, and the ability to make it all seem plausable kept me...Faithful as a reader.

I no longer believe that transitioning as an adult solves much for transwomen. Maybe things are better for young teens who have supportive people around them. Happily, this story was not overly focused on trans issues but on relationships and normal life.

There are just so many people like Maisie running around. Saddly, most of them do not have money, or even supportive parents.

Congratulations on a well written and very fun series. Not many writers just storm the walls like you have. :)

Gwen Brown

Not June------

Anyway this has been a great way to relax. I have enjoyed reading about Marcie's adventures and look forward to reading more. June is to long to wait though................

Thanks Kaleigh

Thank you for making my day brighter with every new episode of Marcies adventures. I'm looking forward to Marcies next adventure as being a birthday gift, thanks again, Arecee

what about....

Hey what about the secret room is nobody going to bite on the obvious? I am surprised that Marcie didn't snap to it.

Love,

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

What secret room?

Do you mean the dressing room?

yeap

I was always suspicious about the dressing room. Mrs Wix and Overton rekindled my suspicions when they mentioned it seemed smaller than they remembered. It could just be small girl large room, big girl small room, but...

Love,

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Why they remembered it as bigger

They were smaller back then.

The house *may* have a secret passage in the next story, though.

Just like The Famous Five!

As a child I adored Enid Blyton's Famous Five stories, which were always full of secret passages. But I could never understand why Georgina so wanted to be a boy called George, but then she probably wouldn't have understood why I wished I was a girl.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Just began reading them...

I've just begun reading those stories to my daughter, who loves them. I think they've been unknown in the US until recently, but they beat the Nancy Drew stories to sticks.

You TEASE!

June 2 huh...

Gunna let us forget things, and hook us again you think... We'll show you!

(Now, while she's laughing, I'll sneek around looking for a preview of the next story.)

No, I didn't say anything. Of course I didn't peek. Would I do that? Come now.

Thanks for the ride. It'll be interesting with the NEW principal. :-)

Annette

A Low Profile

Well all I can say is that 'Low' is very much a RELATIVE term.

Kim

Very enjoyable story

And yes, I kept checking for the next installment every day. Exciting and believable, provided you believe in ghosts of course, which I do.

I look forward to Marcie's adventures in June...

Awww

What a sweet story. And it really draws the reader into it.

But she never got to dance with Trevor at the Christmas party!

No, she didn't!

I think you're the first to notice. She will gripe about this later.

I Meant to Comment

when the first serial ended but got so caught up in the story that I just kept on reading. That is meant to be a tribute to your wonderful story-telling abilities, Kaleigh!

I admit that I could have done without the 'ghost story' part -- it was all I could do to willingly suspend my disbelief -- but it was so well told that it made up for much of my problem with the story.

Now on to "Marcie and the Amazons" though, if it has much supernatural stuff, I just may bail on you this time.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

LOL

Did you bail on me in "Marcie and the Amazons"?

lots of LOL and hugs,

Kaleigh

Even better than "Rules are Rules"

"Rules are Rules" was a lot of fun, and this one was even better. It's an interesting choice to write a fantasy story as a sequel to a mainstream story; I suppose it's probably been done before, but I can't think of any examples offhand. Misty is an interesting character, and the scene where she tells Marcie she would like for them to be ghosts together is very effectively creepy and moving, one of the best parts of this one.

"Rules are Rules" was a little too coincidence-driven in spots -- especially the accidental orchiectomy, which somehow strained my disbelief far more than any of the other coincidences, or Misty, perhaps because it was so convenient. This one has some minor flaws of that kind, but its plot is more coherent, more unified around the development of Marcie's relationship with Maisie.

I look forward to reading more of your work.

well it seems appropriate

to add one last comment in here before i move move onto the next story. It's sort of a shame to know i'm making comments 5,6 yrs after the fact, but HEY Kayleigh, you now know someone else is still reading this wonderful story & I liked this one much better than the 1st book. I really got involved emotionally with your charactors, sometimes I got wondering on storyline putting in supernatural, but you did it in such a way i found interesting.

Thanks for the great read

I look foward to the next book

HUGGS

thanks and hope you don't hate the next one

I appreciate your comments, especially so long after this was written.

I do mean to go back and fix things in these stories - I have done, from time to time, especially in the first chapters of Rules Are Rules.

The next story, Marcie and the Amazons, I really loved writing, but several readers disliked it strongly. I hope that if you don't like it, it doesn't put you off my writing entirely.

Hugs,

Kaleigh

Turn the page, quickly

Jamie Lee's picture

Oh boy, getting from here to there was an absolute blast.

This was one of those stories where the writing, the plot, and the characters kept my attention so well I had to read the next chapter.

Several times I wanted to quit reading after seeing some of the stupid things the characters did or were doing. But I was so engrossed in the story I had to keep reading.

IMHO, this is an marvelously written story. One you should be very proud to have written.

Others have feelings too.

It's a few years since I read these stories

Angharad's picture

but they're still so good and I'd just like to register that I enjoyed them immensely.

Thank you, Kaleigh.

Hugs,

Angharad

Angharad

I can report

Angharad's picture

That I have re-read them again, and they are still good causing me to tear up now and again and laugh out loud at others.

Thank you once again.

Angharad

Angharad