What Maisie Knew: 4. Not A Smoker

Printer-friendly version

"You're going to lie low in a Catholic girls school?" Maisie grinned.

"I hope so."

"Oh, God, I hope not!" she cried. "Listen, next time you do something crazy, bring me along!"

What Maisie Knew: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
4. Not A Smoker

 

I was saved by Trevor's mother, who came over to meet me and Mom.

"So, Mark, is it?" she said to me.

I stammered in response.

"Just teasing!" she said. "I'm glad you realized that being a woman is better. Isn't it?"

"Definitely," I agreed.

Dad coughed shifted in his chair. "Marcie said she'd like to come to the office and see what we do," he told her.

"Great!" she said. "Do you want to come and do a little work, or just hang out with Daddy?"

"Uh...," The question sounded like a test, and I figured she wanted me to say work, but I said in a firm voice, "I want to do both."

She nodded approvingly. "I hear you're a sort of Nancy Drew, Marcie. What's that like?"

"I'm nothing like that," I told her.

"Aren't you the Marcie Donner who single-handedly caught two kidnappers?"

"The police caught them," I said.

"You just hung onto the getaway car as it sped through town," she supplied.

"How do you know that?" I asked.

"Your father mentioned it, and then I googled you," she said. "The Tierson local paper is on the web."

"I didn't know that. Anyway, Nancy Drew was a detective. I'm just... just a girl."

"Actually she was a sleuth," Ms. Means laughed a deep, throaty laugh. "I always thought that was a funny word. In any case, keep me abreast of your new adventures, and do come visit."

Then she crouched down next to my mother and started talking to her. I was surprised by the way she so abruptly dropped me, but in the next moment I felt a small hand lightly touch my shoulder. I turned to see the blonde girl from Ms. Means' table. She looked even thinner up close.

"Hi," she said. "I'm Maisie Beale. You're coming to BYHS, right? Marcie Donner?"

"B-Y–" I started, confused

She interrupted by saying, "Blessed Yvette's" in an undertone. She clearly disliked saying it out loud.

"Oh, oh, yeah!" I agreed.

"You're going to be in my class," she announced, and smiled. I liked her smile, and found myself smiling back.

"Great," I said.

"So where are you from?" she asked.

"Tierson, California," I replied.

I glanced over at Maisie's table. Trevor smiled at me, and the blonde — Maisie's mother — stood up and headed our way. I told Maisie, "Oh, looks like your mother's coming over, too."

Maisie made a look of distaste. "That fat cow!" she snarled.

I was shocked. Maisie went on to criticize and insult her mother in a low voice that only I could hear. Most of it was variations of the words "fat" and "sloppy," but believe me, her mother was neither. She was a complete knockout.

"I think your mother's beautiful," I told Maisie.

She gave me a strange look, as if to say if only you knew or how would you know?

Maisie's mother called, "Oh, honey, have you made a new friend?"

Without even looking at her mother, Maisie said, "Back off."

Her rudeness offended me. I couldn't believe it. Still, no one had heard it except for her mother and me. I was so shocked and disturbed that I couldn't keep my eyes off her mother's face, to see how she'd reaction. I felt mortified for her, but she didn't change expression at all, as if Maisie wasn't speaking.

Without missing a beat, Maisie's mother turned and introduced herself to my mother. She and Ms. Means pulled chairs over and made a little women's circle.

At that, Maisie grabbed my arm, pulled me out of my chair, and said, "Come on. I need a smoke."

Her grip was surprisingly strong, and I found myself running after her down one hallway and then another, until we emerged from the back of the restaurant, where some of the kitchen workers and waiters were smoking. They stood in the warm air of a big exhaust vent.

Maisie, with no hesitation, walked over and said, "Can we get in here, too?" They didn't answer, but moved to make space for the two of us.

She fished two cigarettes and an enormous old-fashioned lighter out of her bag. She put both cigarettes in her mouth, lit them, and passed one to me. She shut the flame inside the lighter with a loud click!

"I don't smoke," I told her.

"I know," she replied. "That's why I lit it for you."

"How can you tell?" I asked.

"You didn't reach for one, and you're holding your cigarette all wrong." She smiled, but she wasn't making fun.

I put the cigarette to my lips, but in my nervousness I shoved half of it into my mouth. I pulled it out again quickly, but the workers were already laughing. I fiddled with it until it was between my first two fingers, the way Maisie held hers, but it felt funny. Finally I put it between my thumb and forefinger.

Then I took my first puff, and blew the smoke skyward. I took another puff and blew the smoke away. I wondered whether I could blow smoke rings.

"This isn't bad," I said.

"You're not inhaling," Maisie informed me quietly. "But it's okay. Don't start now."

"Why not?" I asked. Wasn't I inhaling? I drew the smoke into my mouth, kept it there, then inhaled some air through my mouth. The smoke went down my throat into my lungs, and I started hacking and coughing. I bent over, and someone gently put their hand on my back. No one laughed, and when I straightened up, one of the kitchen help handed me a glass of water.

"Oh, little girl, this is not for you!" another man said. "No smoking for you!"

"Sorry," Maisie said. "I wasn't trying to corrupt you. I just wanted company." She ground my cigarette out with her toe.

"That's... okay," I coughed. Then I drew a breath. Much better. "I'm good now."

Someone took the empty glass from me and brought me another. Then the restaurant workers went away, leaving me and Maisie alone. She lit another cigarette, but didn't offer me one.

She asked, "Is it true that you helped catch some kidnappers?"

"Yes," I said. "It wasn't a big deal."

Her eyebrows went up. "No big deal? And did you really climbed up the side of a building to get a kid's asthma medicine?"

"It was only to the third floor," I replied. "How do you know all this?"

"Mrs. Means was talking about you. She said you're a teenage action hero."

I laughed. "Not any more."

"You're going to lie low in a Catholic girls school?" she grinned.

"I hope so."

"Oh, God, I hope not!" Maisie cried. "Listen, next time you do something crazy, bring me along!"

"Okay," I laughed, "but don't hold your breath. I don't think the crazy stuff that happened in California could ever happen here. And I'm really going to try to just be a regular girl."

Maisie shrugged, then laughed to herself. "Maybe all that crazy stuff is in *you*, not California. I always thought California was pretty boring."

"Yeah, so did I," I admitted, "until–" I stopped myself.

"Until what?"

"Uh, until the crazy stuff started happening," I replied, a little stupidly. I'd almost said that it was boring until I became Marcie.

Maisie nodded and give me a wry smile. "We could use some crazy stuff happening around here."

I didn't answer. Maybe a lot of what happened to me was exciting and fun to hear about, but some of it was terrible when it happened. I didn't wish for anything exciting. Just being Marcie was enough for me.

She threw her cigarette on the ground and pressed it under her boot. Then she handed me a piece of gum. "To get rid of the smoke smell," she said. Then she looked in my eyes. "One of your eyes is red from coughing. Come here." She got something out of her purse and unscrewed it.

Quickly, decisively, she grabbed my face with her right hand, tilted it back and pulled open my eye with thumb and forefinger. Before I had a chance to react, she dropped two drops of some liquid into my eye.

"Hey!" I protested, blinking.

"Feel better?" she asked.

To tell the truth, it did. I nodded.

"Visine," she said. "Let's get back before they come looking for us."

© 2007 by Kaleigh Way

up
161 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Marcie plus Maisie…

…look like adding up to be a sure-fire recipe for chaos and disaster.

I'm glad Marcie doesn't like smoking; that shows she has more sense than crazy Maisie—talk about teenage angst!

Gabi.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

marcie

wow geting verry hot nixt ya gonna set tham on fire y not ,geting relly good verry lovey keep going .
[email protected]

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

And Now They Meet

I can see it now, NOW it will be the Trouble Twins to get into misadventures.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Well, that's one good thing...

... Not actually encouraging Marcie to smoke beyond the first puff... Now, if Maisie can kick the habit. (or Habbit. :-) )

As to some of the adults... Ho boy. Maisie's begging for attention and not getting it was quite apparent to a person that's seen that kinda behavior before. Come to think of it, she probalby got "adicted" to the cigarettes for the same reason - to get reactions from one or the other of her parents.

Still, the story moves along... Where it pauses (I don't see any stops any time soon) only the author knows... (Maybe an editor or two if she has them...)

Thanks,

I pitty the adults responsible for them ...

Marcie + Maisie sound like nitro + clycerine.
Maybe they should already bring on the natinonal guard, the marines and who knows who else.

If I remember right the new principal is going to be rather strict so add this to the mix and "quite" or "low key" are certainly not things that will aply to MM at BYHS...

What I do not get is that we have "Ms. Means" and "Maisie Beale" ...
So are the Means the horrible foster parents of Maisie or whats going on?

Well we shall see and read I'm sure

thanks for M&M Kaleigh

hugs

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

Foster parents?

Ms. Means is Marcie's father's boss. She is Trevor's mother, and they are Black.

Maisie Beale is with her mother, Ida. They are both blondes.

They are all at a restaurant having Thanksgiving dinner.

Ms. Means and Maisie's mother are friends.

"Without missing a beat, Maisie's mother turned and introduced herself to my mother. She and Ms. Means pulled chairs over and made a little women's circle."

There are NO foster parents. The *comments* went to Mars and back about Maisie's situation, so maybe that's what confused you. (Or maybe I didn't make it clear?)

The judge awarded joint custody to her parents, which means that Maisie will bounce back and forth between her father and mother.

And as far as "horrible" -- we only know Maisie's side of the story so far.

Dad's horrible by the judge's own comments and as to mom

The only possible defence for her is she saw Dad raiding the trust fund and counter raided to put it aside for Masie in a fund Dad couldn't touch. But in a joint property state he still could get half in a divorce unless it's a custodial trust with her as the only custodian -- I'm a bankeer you can tell. Not the best stragegy, even if it protects the assets from him it looks bad to the child and the courts but maybe she panicked.

The other possiblity is sme outsider is manipuatong things, say woman who hates the mom and wants the husband nd thw money, say a former girlfriend she *stole* him from. Mainly I think he's an ass and mom is pretty flawed too.

Terrific.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

We'll see...

Could this be a situation in which the story has only one side?

Maisie's only thirteen. She's smart, but it doesn't mean she knows or understands everything. AND she is so hurt and angry that she is not going to be telling anyone anything good about her parents at all.

See if you feel the same way about the mother later on.

At last

... a bit of sense ! Smoking is mortifyingly stupid. At the same time though, I am sad to see how hardened Maisie is. Understandable due to the background already given us but kinda shocking nonetheless. She is well on her way to being trouble and I see a very twisted road ahead before she can be salvaged.
This also means this story will not have quite the open and carefree atmosphere of the first series but will delve into a bit the darker aspects of life.

Also, this just occur to me that, Personally, I am surprised she was given joint custody. As an alternative, if I were the judge, I would have asked her if there were any close relatives that could be responsible enough to take her. Aunts, Uncles even Godparents. There has been no mentioned of relatives at all so far.

Kim

Maisie/Marcie

I agree with Gabi. Yuck.
No diary from Maisie either.
Wonder what she'll write about
Marcie, since she had not done
any cartooning yet. I wonder
if she'll start writing up her
adventrues.

Sarah Lynn

Oh pullease

'Ooo, Maisie smokes. How awful. Yuk, bad bad Maisie` This is a story, okay? The wolf hunts the little piggies but always looses to the one smart eldest, the fox outsmarts a raven -yeah right-, and Jack steals the ogre blind after climbing the beanstalk. None of this is true. Stephen King murders, maims, terrorizes countless adults and children but is highly praised as an author.
Reading a story, and enjoying it, doesn't mean _you_ have to do what the protagonists do or endure.
People smoke, get over it.

I like this story, cause I like Marcie Donner, for she's is a fun girl who enjoys life and 'things happen' with her around. If she wants to smoke, I've got no problem with that. I don't get it, but it's of little concern to me.

Jo-Anne

Doths protests too much

A minority opinion.

Smoking personified as being 'fun' has to stop somewhere. Movies that personify smoking by stars, like it or not, makes it 'COOL' for some young people and I for one am glad movies do make an effort to show people not smoking. Also, don't kid yourself, I betcha young teenagers read this site too. So you are saying that it is okay to say to them - Go ahead, light up ?

'People smoke get over it' is in the same category of an old saying like '10000 frenchmen can't be wrong.' Maybe people do get engaged with Marcie as a character more than you do and object to her smoking but that is because unlike the Stephen King cardboard fantasy cutouts Marcie seems more 'real' somehow.

Finally, I do agree, informed ADULTS have the right to smoke. However they should NOT have the right to drain my pocketbook by raising my health care costs ( premiums ) due to the proven cancer, emphysema, etc. Let them pay their own way for voluntarily hurting themselves.

Kim

Naah

just getting tired of all the pressure healthy non-smokers put on people who still want to smoke.

Young teenagers who read here, as are teenagers everywhere, are well aware of the hazards of smoking. The anti smoking lobby has seen to that, and will be doing so, very effusively, for a looong time. ( As they live longer to, hah ) But as teenagers are prone to do, they often rebel against what's perceived as mainstream rule of thumb and/or regulations. Maybe just to express their independence, or maybe to test the bonds. I'm strongly in favor of solid education here, as in many other nooks and crannies of life such as alcohol, sex, drugs and what not.

Do I advocate smoking? No. But I am also opposed to the overbearing, evergrowing, pressure of people wanting to ban smoking. And want to express their dislike all the time, every where, to anyone. I'd like to say: Stop, and smell the roses! But you can't cause you're so much perturbed by smoking people all around you. Yes, get over it! Is not the same as telling smoking isn't bad. I never said that, I never will. It's only that I believe people should be able to decide about their lives more, and not being bullied and pushed into ever more rules and regulations.

Being more engaged with Marcie compared to Stephen Kings' fictuous 'baddies', really.. that comparison is just silly.

Draining your pocketbook? Actually it appears people who smoke, and as such have a lesser life expectancy, in the long run of life cycle, and thus in effect are a smaller health care cost as those who live the longer healthy non smokers' life.

Jo-Anne

* umm. No I don't smoke, thanks *

Will you all get a clue?

Kaleigh, don't listen to these over sensative, over reactive women (and men).

EVERY teen out there comes into contact with peer presure. Maisie's smoking is a peer pressure. That she didn't PUSH Marcie any further, or laugh at her inablility to inhale was a good action. Kaleigh is using the smoking as a plot devise as well as a character develpment devise. leave her alone about it! if you haven't figured it out by now, Kaleigh loves her characters and would NEVER put them into serious harm or make them do anything horribly nasty. Marcie has been living in a fantasy world of sorts in California and is going to be introduced to the harsh realities of being a girl, when surrounded by them ALL day. Stop being so critical of her story, when you all only get part of the picture....... same thing with the court decision over the custody issue. LET HER TELL HER STORY!!!!!

Sorry, I just get soooo irritated when people read a few paragraphs and assume that they know everything about the story, characters and where it is going.

Kaleigh keep up the good work.... I for one will read, enjoy, and sit back and allow the story to unfold.

Thanks

A.A.

SINNER

Those girls are sinners, I'll tell you, sinners. Get a grip people, tobacco is the only thing that can save Social Security from bankruptcy. This is a fun story and teens are going to try smoking and a lot worse. I quit smoking forty years ago but my youngest son, who's nineteen decided it would be cool to smoke, why, I don't know, but he does. If everyone was as concerned as they seem to be just make tobacco illeagal and increase the lost taxes on the do gooders that wanted it to be illeagal. Grrrr, now I feel better, Arecee

Amen Arecee

Amen and you tell em. I agree with you 100%

If Smoking is THAT bad for you then Make it illeagl...... Oh wait, who then would pay all of that sin tax...... the government would lose Billions.

sorry, you touched a sore nerve

A.A.

Maisie Needs Marcie

Maisie has been cruelly hurt and used by both of her parents and seeing Marcie, she sees just the one to help her be a kid again. Yes, Maisie is a teen girl, but right now she needs the innocent misadventures that are Marcie's trademark. Once Maisie has been helped by Marcie, Marcie will have a best friend because Maisie will value friendship over money.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

So the dynamic duo meet

Angharad's picture

I look forward to the coming chapters and the disasters which will occur in them. It's all such fun and so well written.

Thanks Kaleigh,

Angharad.

Angharad

Can NJ handle these two?

I suspect that there will be a synergy between these two and there will be action that will make past events seem like sunday school. : )

Perhaps Marcie will also be good for Maisie?

Ohhhh - tangential fun....

Kaleigh - thanks so much for continuing the adventures of Marcie, PI!

I'm having sooo much fun reading this latest episode, trying to figure out where, when & how the M & M twins' "low profile" is going to be blown, but I have to admit the back n' forth in the comments has been a bit, oh, entertaining! Lively! Tangents can be fun.... I think I live in a tangent....isn't that Cul de Sac in Quebecois?

So, we don't have the full story on Maisie's mom, but Ms Means likes her and Marcie's dad, whose judgment we trust, likes Ms Means, so indications are that there's more to Maisie's mom than meets the eye.... She may have misbehaved with Maisie's trust fund, but I've heard of very few people who acted, oh, rationally during a nasty divorce.... Maisie does seem to have quite a bit of depth to her as well - I think I'd be surprised if she wasn't smoking with all the stress she feels she's under - I just hope she'd not self-medicating in other ways; she seems sincere and to be really concerned for Marcie, so I'm thinking she's a pretty good person at heart as well...

However, something tells me that with M&M on the loose, the Blessed Yvette's never going to reach sainthood....

YW

Revenge is a dish best served cold
~ some future dead Klingon guy

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

I simply despise smoking,

it stinks to high heaven, kills people and it is a major trigger for my asthma. My mother smoked and had asthma, it would scare me to death when she had an attack. She quit smoking, and her asthma disappeared, to me as a child, it meant that smoking was deadly. I researched smoking when I got older, found out how bad it was (this was back in the 70s), and I decided to do a volunteer program on smoking at the local junior high schools. For a couple of decades after, I would have people approach me and thank me for giving them a push towards quitting, some had quit right after my talk, some years later, remembering my talk. I do hate having smoking being shown as "cool" or "fun" in stories, but I'm not going to try and tell people not to include it for the most part. I did complain once when it was included and really had no purpose in the story, it was just there as atmosphere and had nothing to do with the story.