What Maisie Knew: 5. Another Use For Lampposts

Printer-friendly version

"I never thought I'd complain about this, but Mom, the skirt's too short."

"No it's not," she replied. "It looks fine."

What Maisie Knew: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
5. Another Use For Lampposts

 

Maisie and I talked and talked. We found some chairs against the wall, far from everybody, where we sat down next to each other.

We traded stories. We got the lowdown on each other.

She told me about her parents' divorce, and how she was always going "from one hell to the other" as she put it.

We talked about school. She told me about my classmates, the teachers, and the principal. What she said about Sister Honororia, the principal, pretty much confirmed the warning Mr. Bryant had given me.

"Your old principal warned you about Honororia?" Maisie asked in disbelief.

"Yeah, he was pretty cool," I said.

"With everybody? Or just with you?"

I blushed, and that made her press the issue, so I ended up telling her about my first day of school, when I got into trouble for wearing too short a skirt.

"Oh, yeah, the nuns are crazy about that at BYHS, too," Maisie told me. "They actually take a ruler and measure the height of your skirt."

"Oh, that reminds me!" I said. "If I bring a camera on Monday, will you take a picture of me in my uniform?"

"Sure," she laughed. "For your boyfriend in California?"

I nodded, my cheeks slightly red. "Do you think that's weird?" I asked, "That he wants to see me in the uniform?"

She shook her head. "Guys are weird. For some reason, the uniform is a big turn-on for them. Go figure."

We laughed together.


All in all, the day was a big success. A boy had asked for my phone number and I'd made a new friend.

Mom was all excited about meeting Dad's boss and Maisie's mom, whose name is Ida. The two mothers made a date to meet for coffee on Monday "after the girls are in school."

Dad was glad and relieved to have the family together again. Once we got home, the sleep that comes after eating turkey swept over the three of us.

When we woke from our naps, Mom insisted that I get ready for tomorrow, which meant I had to try on the Blessed Yvette uniform for the first time. I have to admit, it wasn't too bad. I hadn't seen a blue plaid before. Probably after wearing it every day I'd get sick of it, but right now I didn't mind.

Tomorrow we had an appointment with the principal, Sister Honororia, at the ungodly hour of nine AM.

It would have been bad enough to make an early appointment on a day off, but what made it truly insane was the fact that Mom and I were still on California time. Meaning: it was going to be like six in the morning for us.

Plus, the nun insisted that I wear the school uniform to the appointment.

Mom thought it was a "fine idea."

"I never thought I'd complain about this, but Mom, the skirt's too short."

"No it's not," she replied. "It looks fine."

"It has to be at most two inches above the knee. This is at least three."

"I don't think that's important, Marcie. No one is going to take a ruler and measure."

"Yes, they do! Maisie told me they do!"

"She was just pulling your leg, I'm sure," Mom said.

"No, Mom. Listen, I have some experience with this: I was in trouble for two weeks in Tierson for wearing a short skirt."

"That was a tennis skirt," Mom countered. "This skirt is fine."

I tried to tug it down, but it didn't go.

Dad was getting antsy. He was hungry (we all were!) and I had to quickly change so we could go out for supper.

This time, he explained, the restaurant would be more intimate. No one from work would be there.

We were going to walk there and back. The sidewalks were (fairly) clear of snow, and my father wanted to celebrate: the new job, the new house, the family back together. He and Mom were going to drink champagne, and he didn't want to worry about driving home after.

So we walked. Or they walked. I slipped and slid and wiggled and waggled. I was unsteady, but determined to do my damnedest to keep from falling down.

Mom and Dad were arm-in-arm ahead of me, and they kept stopping as they talked. I understood that they wanted to get all lovey-dovey — parents can get weird that way. But it was driving me crazy, because they were breaking my momentum! All the stop-and-start was throwing me off balance. When we reached a corner, I scurried around to get ahead of them.

It was easier to negotiate the slippage if I could just keep moving.

After a long, slow ten minutes of walking, we reached the town center. This time, *I* was the one to stop dead in my tracks. I didn't expect it to be so nice.

It was only a few blocks long, maybe five blocks, that rose up a gentle hill. The main street was very wide, which was — I don't know, kind of relaxing in a funny way. It was as if the town was saying, Let's just spread out and have a nice little spot here. The buildings were all in the Tudor style, with dark brown beams and light cream stucco. Nothing was higher than two stories, and it was all clean and sparkly and quiet.

The most striking feature was the streetlights. I had liked the streelights in the train-station/restaurant earlier, but these were much nicer. They were taller and more elegant. They really had class. They were old iron, but they looked almost delicate, like a lovely lantern sitting at the top of a narrow tree.

Then the light itself caught my eye. The lamps were like old gaslamps. I say "like" because there was no gas. The glow came from a special bulb that seemed to move and burn like a flame. They were beautiful.

So far, I was liking Flickerbridge. I could see myself hanging out down here. The stores were definitely worth exploring. If only I had those ten thousand dollars... oh well. Still, I might find something fun for the money Mom would let me spend.

I turned to see where my parents were. They were moving slowly, about two blocks behind me. They stopped yet again. Just out of habit, I huffed in impatience, but this time I didn't really mind. It was pretty right where I was, and I felt so much like I was in the right place at the right time.

I decided to stop so my parents could catch up.

Close to where I stood was a tiny patch of sidewalk that was completely bare. No snow, no ice, no black ice. It was only six or seven inches square, but I planted myself right on it. It was great. Standing still on non-slippery ground, I felt how tense I'd gotten in all my efforts to stay upright. I moved my shoulders around and loosened up.

Just at that moment, as if by magic, it started to snow lightly. For the first time in my life, I caught snow flakes on my tongue. I tipped my head back and felt the tiny crystals fall and melt on my cheeks. They caught in my eyelashes, and danced up and down as I blinked. For a girl who'd never really seen snow, it seemed like fairyland.

Then I watched the flakes dropping steadily into the street, huge heavy flakes. It wasn't snowing hard, but it was constant.

Through the falling whiteness I saw an old lady coming down the hill toward me. She was carrying a large purse. She walked slowly, but only because she was old — she wasn't having *any* of the trouble that I had. I guess *she* had the right kind of boots!

She plodded along, sure footed, her arms bent like two angular hooks. Hmmph! If I could, I wanted to take a look at the sole of her boot, to see where I'd gone wrong.

Behind her, in the distance, somebody else clearly had the right sort of boots. At first he was only a shadow, but the shadow quickly grew, and that meant he was moving fast. In fact, he was running.

I was amazed. My boots seemed designed to make me fall. The old lady's boots let her walk normally. This man's boots actually let him run!

Soon I could tell that it was a young man, and I watched his sure-footed progress with awe. For some reason, seeing him run made me take a tiny step back, and I shimmied just a bit on his behalf. He wasn't going to slip, after all. I had to do it for him. I looked down and centered my feet on the bare spot.

He came closer and closer, never missing a footfall, and as he passed the old lady, he smoothly lifted her purse right off her arm and kept on running. There wasn't the slightest break of pace. It was a smooth, almost practiced move, and it happened oh-so fast.

Shocked by the suddenness of it, I lifted my arms and wavered unsteadily, but I couldn't speak. The old lady herself was too startled to cry out yet.

The thief's quick steps brought him directly in front of me. He growled, "Out of the way, little girl!" and gave me a rough shove.

Instead of knocking me out of the way as he intended, his blow only made me teeter more. By now, I'd had a lot of practice wobbling, and instinctively my body shifted and shook to compensate. I was practically an expert by now.

My right foot hit a patch of ice, and it slipped and shot out from under me.

Just one thought filled my mind: Don't let your butt hit the ground! Desperate to not fall, I grabbed his jacket with both hands. My hands were like tight iron claws. There was no way I was going to let go. I was NOT going down!

He cursed and twisted a little, to shake me off, which made my left foot hit the ice, and it slid away from me. In spite of my determination, it looked like I was going down. My butt was going to strike the ground after all. Worse yet, I was probably going to bring the thief down on top of me.

"Get off!" he whined, and swatted at my hands.

I scrabbled with both feet to try to stay up, still clutching his coat with both hands. It was getting ridiculous: my feet were churning like a cartoon character, and my body kept lurching up and down. A few times I accidentally kicked him while he stood still, trying to free himself from me. The way we were locked together, if he tried to get away, he was sure to fall himself.

He turned his body hard left, determined to shake me loose, but — in spite of his high-traction boots — he slipped, falling backward, and his head made a dull bonk! against the nearby iron lamppost.

Once he stopped moving, I found my little square of clear, non-icy ground, and managed to get my footing back.

By some crazy miracle, I hadn't fallen at all. The thief, on the other hand, was sitting on the ground, looking around in a daze, and he actually said, "Who hit me?"

After straightening my clothes, I reached down and took the woman's bag from his hand. I waved it at the lady, shouting, "It's safe!"

"Marcie!" my mother called anxiously.

"I'm okay!" I shouted in her direction.

A moment later, my phone was in my hand. I dialed 911 as I carefully balanced on the tiny, clean square, where I waited for the woman, my parents, and soon after, the police.

© 2007 by Kaleigh Way

up
153 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

She's at it again

Angharad's picture

life does seem to happen around Marcie! Lovely one Kaleigh.

Hugs,

Angharad

Angharad

I hear the sound of ...

... of pots calling kettles black :)

It didn't take you long Kaleigh. I hope Marcie and Cathy never meet.

Geoff

Distant relations?

Are you guys sure that Marcie and Cathy aren't distantly, or not so distantly, related? Immigration and all, it'd be possible... They do seem to share an unerring trait for being in the right place at the wrong time.... We've no clue as to Marcie's feelings towards dormice, but something tells me she'd fall immediately in love with any cute little varmint....

Just a question - did I miss something? What was the doctor's diagnosis of Marcie's breast growth, etc.? I don't recall reading what he'd concluded....

Happiness and success are neither necessarily contemporaneous nor connected.
~ Gordon Sumner, quote from a radio interview I heard around 1990

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Marcie The Trouble Magnet

Has once again caught the bad guy and she has probably made a new friend in the ldy too. I can't wait to see if the skirt meets with approval now.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

short skirts

Well I'm sure Cory will aprove of the skirt.
If he hears of the story he will probabaly draw her in a shorter version of the school girl uniform and push the thief against the lamppost.

Well our Heroette is back ;)

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

Of course it's too short

There is no option but for Marcie to get in trouble over it on the first day. This will really set up her up with Sister Honoraria and lead to all kinds of juicy stories for us.

Maisie's Mom being her father's boss will be very interesting too.

It is good seeing super Marcie again as the stories of how Marcie Kung fooed the attacker, will make for many good stories.

Love,

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Maisie's mother is NOT Marcie's father's boss

Ms. Means is Marcie's father's boss.
She is Trevor's mother.

Ida (Maisie's mother) is a *friend* of Ms. Means.
Ida doesn't work.

my bad

I guess i need to read a little more carefully,

Love,

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

It must be *my* bad

... because you're not the only one who thought so. I'm going back to make it clearer who's who.

cool

If Ida Means, I wouldn't work either.
Oh wait, I got the names wrong. "Ida Beale" doesn't make as good a pun, though. I guess it sounds kind of like "edible" - perhaps setting up some kind of Donner Party joke. "I'm Ida Beale." "Yes, you are."

laying low...

Well Marcie had trouble with staying low before and now it seems life around her is even faster than her reputation. :)

So who ever did not know Marcie when she arrived will surely know her after the morning newspaper.

Way to go Marcie!

We love you.

And the parents just stand my and think: oh my, girl ...

hillarious

thanks so much Kaleigh

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

SuperGirl Strikes Again!

It HAD to happen. Marcie's magnetism for heroics has stayed with her all the way from California. Well, did we expect anything else? And toe ogre of Sister Honororia looms with her skirt-measuring "fetish". Hmmm, next week's episodes are going to be interesting.

Excellent chapter, Kaleigh.

Gabi.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Here we go again...

So, Marcie will get in trouble with the school for a too short skirt yet again... And, she plays hero, yet again. Though this time she takes a page from Cathy's book (sorta by accident).

It'll be interesting how this goes - and the reaction of the "old lady".

BTW, in my travels around NJ, I ran across a town that still as all their gas lights functional. They're pretty, but don't give a whole lot of lignt on those specially dark nights.

Annette

My little town

The center of the New Jersey town where I grew up was just like this...

I wonder...

... if it still is. Some seem to have been able to maintain their character. Other communities have changed - some a LOT in the past 20 years.

A Cape

Somebody get this girl a cape. At least, a nice, stylish woolen one -- they're marvelous for keeping warm in the snow.

Meanwhile, our Capeless Crusader has just struck her first blow for the good guys in New Jersey. Somewhere to the east, across a famous river, is a large metropolitan city, sometimes known as Gotham. I wonder...

Hmmm...

I always thought Gotham was Chicago???

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Gotham

Check out Wikipedia on the subject of Gotham City.

The following is my own, not a quote, although I glommed a few facts from the article.

Gotham is one of the older nicknames of New York City, also known as The Big Apple, The City That Never Sleeps, The Empire City, The City So Nice They Named It Twice, and of course my favorite, The Capitol of the World. It's also the model for Superman's Metropolis. In the early movie serials and tv show, the New York Daily News building on East 42nd Street was used for the external shots of The Daily Planet.

Washington Irving, the famous American author who lived in New York City, is generally credited with dubbing the city Gotham in a story published in 1807. As I understand, it wasn't intended as a flattering pseudonym.

Nonetheless, New York adopted the sobriquet, and today you can find numerous publications and businesses here named after it, and numerous newspaper stories which sometimes refer to it as such, especially in nightlife articles. To be clear, the usage is generally "Gotham" or "the Gotham city", and only rarely, as in the Batman comics, "Gotham City" without the definite article.

In the comics...

erin's picture

Gotham City is now shown to be in New Jersey, across the estuary from Metropolis which is shown to be in Delaware, approximately where Wilmington is in our world. The game stuff supplied with the DC Universe roleplaying game says that Gotham City was founded by Swedish colonists and Metropolis by the French, but not under those names.

I think Gotham, the legendary city of fools, is appropriate for Maisie's adventures. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Back in the 70s

erin's picture

I worked as a teacher's aide in a junior high for a year. One of the things I had to do was to have the girls kneel next to a four-inch high plank. If their skirt did not touch the plank, they were sent home to change. :) The girls were required to wear skirts, too; pants only on special days. Seems very weird now.

Good one Kaleigh.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Much the same

The public high school I attended when in the U.S. had a similiar rule about girls always wearing skirts, and the Dean of Women (such a grandiose title!) carried with her a tape measure to arbitrate or enforce the proper length. Also strictly regulated was PDA, the Public Display of Affection. But this was the Seventies in Oklahoma after all, anybody remember "Okie From Muskogee"?

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

To show the change, I ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... graduated public high school in Chicagoland in 1962 and at that time, when kneeling, one's skirt had to touch the ground - no 4" leeway - and I imagine it was worse in the catholic schools. We walked home past the Catholic school and saw the girld rolling their skirts up upon exiting.

I hope mom is truly contrite for not listening to Marcie when Sister Sinister Uptight lambasts Marcie for the too short skirt - or maybe mom gets MAD and lashes into the Sister (One can dream)

Who is Cathy? I am suffering a 60sish memory lapse.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Cathy

I believe Cathy is borrowed from Ahgharad's story Easy as Falling Off a Bike. Another super hero in training.

Yah

erin's picture

Well, being a carpenter's kid, I knew that 4" plank was only 3-5/8" so I gave the girls a little extra leeway. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

The Good Old Days

That must have been a long time ago. They're smaller now.

It would not surprise me to

It would not surprise me to find out the "old lady" is in fact Sister Honororia. This would really get Marcie on her radar. We had a Sister at our school, that sounds very much like Sr. Honororia; her name was Sister Dioneshia (so naturally all the students called her "Dying Species"). Her most favorite sport was knuckle whacking with a ruler. The ruler was also used to measure skirt lengths and only God, could save you if your skirt was too short. I think skirt lengths is a mandatory course to be taken when you are be coming a Sister (Nun). "giggle"
Catholic school did have its moments tho.
J-Lynn

Wow.

Wow. She didn't even fall down.

Sarah Lynn

Right place at the wrong time? Wrong time for who?

I'd say that for the people she helps, she is in the right place at the right time.
But for the kidnappers, and this jerk, yes, it is the wrong time.

Holly

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

So much for laying low

I don't think that with the best will and intention in the world, Marcie could "lay low". She doesn't even have to try, stuff just happens . . . and happens . . . and happens . . .

. . . and keeps us enthralled.

NB

PS

I don't know what those others were reading, but I had no trouble keeping up with the who's who of this story, but then I have had twenty years of trying to follow my other half and her mother talking . . .

Now if you want difficult to follow, that's got to be the hardest yet.

:)

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Kayleigh

1st - let me say say sorry as I misspelt your name in several comments

2nd - YES, reading this in 2013, I never had doubts whom was whom.

3rd - i agree with above person on whom the head mistress might be. Wouldn't that be funny :)