What Maisie Knew: 23. The Weekend Of The Switch

Printer-friendly version

Could somehow Maisie and her mother *both* be right in some way? Could Maisie have exaggerated? Could Maisie have misunderstood?

I sighed. Why do people have to be so complicated?

What Maisie Knew: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
23. The Weekend Of The Switch

 

"Thank God I don't have detention today!" I told Maisie.

"Yeah, that's a big change for you, isn't it, you wicked thing?" she teased.

Girls in blue plaid skirts and white blouses flooded past us, anxious to get OUT OF THE BUILDING. Friday afternoon is exciting in and of itself, but for Maisie and me it was even more so: today begins the weekend of the switch.

"Hey, cool!" Maisie observed. "Your Mom staked out the primo parking spot!"

In fact, Mom was standing by her car directly in front of the building. I turned to Maisie and was astonished to see something like joy on her face. I'd never seen her so plainly, simply happy. Ever.

"She must have been waiting for us for, like, ten minutes!" Maisie gushed in admiration.

"Hi, girls!" Mom called out. "Ready for the big weekend?"

"Shotgun!" Maisie shouted, and jumped in the front seat, next to my mother.

I climbed in the back, smiling a little, but at the same time feeling a bit odd. I was glad to see Maisie happy for once, but it was weird to be sharing my mother with her.

After Mom settled herself behind the wheel, she turned to me and said, "Now we have to drop you at your house, Marcie." I pushed my face into a smile.

Mom started the car and Maisie started babbling. "This was a great idea, Marcie! I'm so glad you thought of it. This weekend is going to be the best..." I tuned her out and looked out the window.

I'd been looking forward to spending the weekend with Ida. I really had. At the same time I was nervous. I know that Ida's Mom's friend. I know that Mom has spent a lot of time with her, and trusts her. She has to trust her, or she wouldn't let me stay with her. At the same time...

Maisie had told me so many bad things about Ida. Not just bad things, but terrible things. Things I couldn't imagine a parent doing.

At the same time, I couldn't imagine Ida doing any of it. As far as I could tell, Ida cared about Maisie. She looked out for her. She tried to connect with her. It was Maisie who'd shut everything down between them.

At the same time, Maisie couldn't have made all that stuff up.

And so, I was afraid. Yes, now that I was going to spend three nights and two-plus days with Ida, I finally admitted to myself that I was afraid.

What if I got to see the bad side of Ida? The side that only Maisie knows? Could she hurt me? Would she hurt me? I didn't think so, but what did I know?

At the very worst, I could get out of there and run home. So I did have a way out.

Could somehow Maisie and her mother *both* be right in some way? Could Maisie have exaggerated? Could Maisie have misunderstood?

Or, could Maisie and her mother *both* be wrong? For a moment, I felt as if a light had gone on, but then I couldn't work out what it would mean, so I dropped it.

I sighed. Why do people have to be so complicated?

AND THEN, as I watched my mother happily listen to Maisie's babble, I realized something: I'd been so busy thinking about how things would go between Ida and me, that I hadn't spared a thought for Maisie and my Mom.

What were they going to do? "Work around the house." Doing what? It was all done! What were they going to do all weekend? Were they going to talk about me?

I wanted to ask... something, but the two of them chatted away sixteen to the dozen, and there was no way I could get a word in. I tried, but they were jumping on the ends of each others' sentences, and laughing away... My attempts to talk just got lost...

... as if they'd forgotten I was even there. In fact, Mom almost missed Maisie's street, and had to make a big awkward turn to get back to it.

"Lucky no one was around to see that!" Mom laughed, and Maisie let out a big, open-mouthed haw haw haw and clapped her hands like a little girl.

The two of them were beginning to seriously bug me.

They dropped me off without ceremony, and drove away almost before I shut the car door.

I watched them disappear around the corner. For a few moments I stood there, feeling vaguely like a orphan, trying to somehow feel sorry for myself, but the feeling wasn't very strong. I took a deep breath and turned toward the house.

Ida was there, waiting, smiling, at her door.

I waved and smiled back, and when I was a few feet away I grinned and said, "Hi, Mom!"

"Oh!" she cried. "It's been so long since anyone's called me that!" She wrapped me in a warm, enveloping, mom-ish hug. I put my arms around her waist and realized for the first time how soft she is. So feminine, so soft.

I made a mental note to ask her what scent she was wearing.

And I was quietly glad that Maisie wasn't around — it was so much easier to be with Ida without all of Maisie's negativity.

We went inside and Ida showed me to my room. I knew that Maisie would be sleeping in my room, but I was staying in their guest room. Ida had already unpacked my bags.

After she showed me where she'd put my things, I quickly changed into jeans and a sweater.

"I've got ideas for tomorrow and Sunday," she told me, "but I wanted to hear what you'd like to do tonight."

"Uh, I'd like to go food shopping first," I told her. "I want to cook dinner for you... If that's okay."

"Oh!" she said, surprised. "That would be different!"

First I checked that she had the right pots and pans. Surprisingly, she did. Next, I made a quick inventory of what little food she did have. Then the two of us put on our boots and walked to the store. The shopping didn't take long. I got jasmine rice, tofu, and small bottles of oil and soy sauce. I didn't want to spend a lot of time peeling and chopping, so I opted for a bag of frozen stir-fry vegetables. Ida silently watched me select all these things, as if I was doing something that was utterly foreign to her. I wondered whether she had ever cooked in her life.

It didn't take long to whip up the meal, and it came out pretty well. Ida was impressed. "You should come over more often," she said. "Not a lot of cooking goes on in this house. I never learned, and Maisie couldn't care less."

After dinner I ran through their collection of DVDs. One of the titles rang a bell, and the picture on the cover made me sure: John Tucker Must Die was a movie I'd meant to see, but Jerry had always refused to watch it with me.

"Oh, yeah," Ida said drily. "*I* got that one — and some others — in hopes that Maisie would want to see them with me, but..."

"So let's do it!" I interrupted.

We sat together on the couch and watched the movie. It was a lot of fun. You ought to see it. The two of us laughed our heads off! Although it's a "chick flick," there aren't any tears. Plus, it isn't corny at all.

At some point after the movie began, Ida moved closer to me and put her arm around my shoulders — which caused me an anxious moment. Why? Well, Ida is a beautiful, beautiful woman. Her proportions are perfect: she has nice curves, but is very trim at the same time. Her hair is a honey blonde, and her face is cute and open. Her breast rubbed softly against my upper arm as she snuggled up, and... well, okay: what I was afraid of was how much boy I had left in me. I didn't want to get, um, excited about being near her. I didn't want my secret revealed in such an embarrassing way.

As it turned out, I didn't need to worry. If there was any "boy" in me, it didn't show. Something else was happening, something else entirely. I could tell that Ida was longing for that mom experience that Maisie wouldn't let her have. Maisie didn't talk to her mother if she could help it, and when she did, she made sure it hurt Ida in some way. I'd never seen Ida even dare to reach her hand out toward Maisie, let alone touch or hug her.

So I relaxed and rested my head on Ida's shoulder. It was nice. My Mom wasn't so touchy-feely, and it was nice to be wrapped in all that comfort and safety. I could almost feel her womanliness passing into me as she held me.

When the movie was over, we shut the TV off and shifted so I was lying with my head in her lap. She gently ran her fingers through my hair, and asked me about school. She told me about her parents and how she'd grown up in the house... She told me which room was hers, what school she'd gone to, how the town had changed, and what was still the same.

As I listened to her voice and breathed her scent, I relaxed, and felt the tension drain from my body... I didn't realize until just then how tense I was: I'd been on edge ever since we arrived in New Jersey. This was the first time I could let go and do nothing.

Ida's voice drifted in and out, and what she said mixed with half-dreams in my head.

I looked up at her through my sleepy fog and said, "I want to be just like you."

She smiled and passed her hand over my forehead. "You need to get to your bed, little girl. Come on."

© 2007 Kaleigh Way

up
175 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What Maisie Knew 23

Could it possibly be that they will switch Moms now? Will Marcie be able to help Maisie reconnect with her Mom? Will Maisie or Ida figure out Marcie's secret? If so, will they keep it or try to hurt Marcie?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

the switch

that is what im afraid of stand. I figure kaleigh is headed toward her being found out some time in this story. I wonder about doctors or an emergency. If she gets really sick.
Well I hope it doesnt happen and her secret remains safe
On another topic, IDa seems very nice ID love to know what her thoughts are on Maisie. How could she have said such horrible things.

Maisie being Maisie...

Well, Maisie is very likely to go nosing about in the basement... Oh shades, it is all just too terrible to contemplate.

I so sooooo love your writing though.

Gwen

Just weird

Sorry, but this whole thing gets more bizarre the further it goes. I'm beginning to think that Marcie is the only normal one in the group, and by the end of this I'm not too sure about her. But I have no doubt about her mom, she is definitely out there in left field, and Maisie, along with her mom is not far behind.

I know this, I'm seriously disappointed in Marcie's mom. To push this trade and show affection to a relative stranger (she's known Maisie, what, a couple of weeks?) that she won't show to her own child is flat-out wrong. I'm doubting her fitness to be a parent at this point, especially one with a situation like Marcie's.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Remember who the viewpoint character is

erin's picture

Marcie is feeling some jealousy, it's coloring her reporting. Look beyond the narration.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

That's what concerns me

I may be biased, but I don't think it's right that a parent's behavior towards a child from another family would be such as to trigger jealousy in their own child. Whatever their other faults were, I never had cause to be jealous of the way my parents treated my friends. My own siblings, that's a different story; but not my friends. I was proud of the way they treated my friends, but not jealous or envious.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Siblings

erin's picture

Siblings teach that lesson, Marcie is an only child. I was an only child for eight years. It's a different experience.

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I'll agree

To disagree with you on this one.

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Sure :)

erin's picture

Neither of us has to be right or wrong, we're just seeing different things.

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I agree, Erin

It must be hard to see your mum getting along apparently better with someone else's child and I'm sure it would colour her view of things.

I had to put up with having a family full of half brothers and a step-sister. My mum wasn't allowed to show us any real love in case the husband -- asshole -- got the hump for her showing favouritism. My step sister went to live with her mum in Colorado Springs, my other brother left to live with his dad and wife, leaving me to take it on my own.

I wouldn't say that Marcie's mum is wrong, but parents don't always see that what they are doing will have an effect. Because I was 11 years older than my youngest half brother, it was felt that I wouldn't mind or could cope, but I had had to take the mantle of responsibility at a quite early age and once I had, my mum thought I was over hugs, cuddles and words of encouragement. To her, I was over being a kid by the time I was twelve.

I know this was a bit off topic, but I was just going to say that I appreciate what Marcie's going through but one cannot say that her mum is unfit--yet.

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Moms

Hi all

As i read this i could not help but think how happy her mom was to get rid of her and have a new girl. If I was her I would tell "Mom" how much fun I had and that I wanted to do it longer, maybe forever, I am sure she would be happy to get a new girl.

Maybe I'm wrong but she was way to happy for this to happen, and yes she will be found out by them Ida or Maisie. Some things is very wrong here.

Hugs and Kisses
Melissa Ann

Hugs and Kisses
Melissa Ann

Emotional buttons

erin's picture

Kayleigh's writing aligns the reader with Marcie's feelings very effectively but I don't think the actual situation is exactly as described. :)

This is one of the differences between using a first person viewpoint character and telling a story in a more objective third person view. It would be harder to get this same reaction in readers if this were told third person.

Marcie's own words are commentary on this very effect when she talks about the difference between what Maisie says about her mom and Marcie's own experience of Ida.

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Despite the parent swap drama

I am really enjoying your Marcie Donner storys.Sooner or later Marcies going to probably be found out.If Ida feels an attachment to her that might help prevent her from shunning her or speaking the best speech she'll ever regret.Amy

I said it before...

I've said it before, but you guys are really hard on the mothers in this story.

Have you considered that Mrs. Donner is trying to do Marcie A FAVOR?

After listening to the girl's moans and groans about housework, she's giving her a weekend off.

WHAT A MONSTER!

Dracula, Frankenstein, the Wolfman, ..., and Marcie's mother.

My head is spinning.

(By the way, if you can't tell, I'm laughing as I write.)

Uh, no

I'll have to remember that one. "But honey, I wasn't cheating on you! You said you had a headache, so I was giving you the night off!"

And we're only hard on moms who are seen to be doing a piss-poor job. Marcie's mom has all the sensitivity of a loaf of bread of she thinks this is a favor. Following her ignoring Marcie in the car, and then this? "They dropped me off without ceremony, and drove away almost before I shut the car door." Looks more like rejection - "Maisie is more like the daughter I wish I had". If I were Marcie I would be hurt, bad.

KJT

By the way, if you can't tell, I'm not. It's your fault for giving us a character we care about.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I think those words ("They

I think those words ("They dropped me off without ceremony, and drove away almost before I shut the car door.") were a byproduct of it being from marcie's PoV. The sentence rings true with many of an occasion of where my mother was dropping me off somewhere, and though I too was hurt by it much of the time (after coming out, anyway), I later learned that it wasn't an indicator of rejection or lack of love. Rather it's a combination of any number of other things, being in a hurry, being stressed, being unsure of how to act with her new daughter (one must remember that it hasn't been that long since Marcie's decision to stay Marcie), etc....

Also, Marcie mentions that her mother isn't very 'touchy-feely' and with that in mind, it isn't much of a stretch to think her mother wouldn't make a big deal over a weekend-long sleepover-type-thing when it was Marcie's idea to begin with. She has no reason to think Marcie would be having problems with it, and Marcie hasn't said anything to her to change that.

The goodbye scene definitely makes the departure sound very curt, but it's also from Marcie's point of view. Whether or not greetings or good-byes are too long or too short is very relative. A short "see you after school" or "see you on sunday" or whatever, would have been pretty acceptable to a teenager getting dropped off somewhere; most of the time, and indeed anything much longer than that likely would have been deemed embarassing. Marcie wants more, because she's feeling hurt, but her mother doesn't know that. Without ceremony doesn't necessarily mean without saying goodbye, it just means a big deal wasn't made of the separation. And again, Marcie's mom is under the impression that this is something her daughter *wants* to do. Mrs Donner may very well be upset herself over it, and is trying not to show it to Marcie, because she doesn't want to upset HER in turn.

Anyway, this is waaaay longer than I intended. I think Marcie has every right to feel upset about this, and I hope it gets resolved happily, but it is her point of view that her mother's actions are hurtful (not necessarily her mother's actual intentions), so I can't think too poorly of her.

This is a great saga Kayleigh! I've thoroughly enjoyed the previous installations, and I'm looking forward to reading more!

Re: I think those words

Sure they're from Marcie's POV. It's Marcie who's emotional well-being that is being discussed. Especially after having such an animated converstaion with Maisie that she totally froze Marcie out in the car, she just stops long enough to drop her off before taking off with her "new" daughter with whom she obviously has more interest in spending time with. She has no reason to think Marcie would be having problems with it. Actually she has a very good reason to care - Marcie is her daughter who has/is going through a very rough period in her life, as mom well knows. But mom is going through this totally clueless about Marcie's feelings, and isn't even making an effort to find out what those feelings are.

Without ceremony doesn't necessarily mean without saying goodbye, it just means a big deal wasn't made of the separation. Oh? Then why is there no mention of her saying goodbye? I can say this, whenever my mom dropped me off somewhere there was always a word of goodbye that indicated her love for me. "Have a good time." "Hope you enjoy yourself." "Call if you need anything." And sometimes even a "I'll miss you".

And again, Marcie's mom is under the impression that this is something her daughter *wants* to do. Mrs Donner may very well be upset herself over it, and is trying not to show it to Marcie Why would she think that? Maisie calls and won't even tell Marcie why she wants to talk to her mom, just demands to talk to her. What I see of mom's end of the converstaion indicates that she and Masie are planning this, NOT Marcie. What does mom say to Masie? "Then she said to Maisie, "Oh, yes, she's here. She's dying to know what we're talking about." The she laughed, and I could hear Maisie laughing too." There is no indication here that Marcie even had any say-so about this swap, instead mom has grabbed the bull by the horns and is running with it. She's not upset, she's loving the idea of trading her TS daughter for a real one. Boot the pain out at the friend's house so she can have a fun weekend with the real deal.

I obviously feel strongly about this, as you can tell. Even Kaleigh was surprised at the way I saw this. But I can only read what is written, and that is what I see. Apparently others don't see it that way. I'll be a good girl now and shut up

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Oh I agree that Marcie's mum

Oh I agree that Marcie's mum has messed up with this. And your point about the phone call is a good one. I had assumed that Maisie mentioned that it was Marcie's idea, when broaching the subject, but it could have easily not been the case. If it is case, it certain makes her mum a whole lot more oblivious of her feelings.

For when Marcie was being dropped off, I took "without ceremony" to be like writing "We parted ways" (ie summarizing the separation, rather than writing it out in full). There's no written goodbye's but it's implied. Of course the tone, and words "without ceremony" suggests that any goodbyes were inadequate, or curt. I initially read it as her mother basically speeding off without so much as a "please close the door on your way out!" as well, but after I digested the scene a bit, it reminded me more of a speedy goody-bye that teenagers often encourage from their parents, when getting driven somewhere.

I don't think Marcie's mum is rejecting her, but it certainly feels that way to Marcie. And I certainly think Marcie's mum is being a bit thoughtless in some of her choices lately, but I don't think it's a rejection issue (of marcie or her being TS). It strikes me, in this instance, as more of a matter that marcie doesn't like interior decorating, but maisie apparently does, and getting excited over having someone to share that passion with.

Basically, I agree she's done hurtful things, and I certainly didn't mean to trivialize the effect such things can have on a person (if that's what I've done), but mostly my point is: Mum's are human too. I don't think she's purposely or subconsciously rejecting Marcie, but I do think she's guilty of not really understanding Marcie (or her feelings), and as a result being a bit oblivious/thoughtless when it comes to her.

Still, I do see where you're coming from, and it would be easy for me to take it that way as well (and from purely Marcie's PoV, I do more or less take it that way). I'm just thinking/hoping that Marcie's just not seeing the whole picture, and that her mum isn't that.. calculating.. conciously or not.

Hmmmm. This is interesting!

VERY intersting. That said, it's not surprising that both girls get along so well with the other's moms. I'm looking forward to hearing Ida's story!

I wonder what Ida has planned for Marcie. I bet it's fun!

I bet one reason Maisie & Marcie's mom are doing wo well - Marcie's mom doesn't have the memory in the back of her mind that this child used to be my son. That has to color things, no matter how well she's dealing with stuff and taking care of / loving her daughter.

Looking forward to reading more!

Annette

Anntte may have hit on a key to the moms

Marcie's mom remembers her son, remembers leaving HIM with the ditz of an aunt and a series of missadventures later and HER own stupidity in not reading the medcal releases, her son is condemned to be her sterile daughter. SHE signed away her son's testicles, SHE castrated her only child, SHE deneighed herself and husband any grandchildren. She is excessively protective of Marcie because she feels helpless and GUILTY and is projecting some of her anger and frustation at herself on her new daughter. Wow! Worthy of bad Hollywood Fruedian psych.

Maise's mom looks more and more like the "Why don't you take her!" was anger at her bastard of a husband. Remember everyone who has mentioned him hates or dislikes him. As she says at one point, she never was a whatever HIS last name was. Sounds like the marrage went sour after the honeymoon or even during. She regrets having driven Maise away but isn't totally sure what is pushing them apart other than the divorce. She has to know about Maise thinking both parents were only after her trustfund because of the judge's tonguelashing. I suppect she was trying to save it from the twisted dad but did it wrong. Her daughter has lost all trust in her and her dad and mom is aching for any tiny tidbits of love.

First she acts like a dorm-mate/school friend of Marcie's mom, now she acts like Marcie's oldersister/mom.

I agree with Karen, Marcie is the only person here reasonably sane, that and maybe, GULP, Sister Honoreria.

I must be very twisted to think that last bit.

Damned fine, interesting characters. I still think Marcie was intersexed or those herbs and the ghost of the dead twin will make he a genetic girl and a mom. Boy, girl, will her children have a wild mom. The stories she will tell them.

"So when grandma accidently had the hospital chop off your nuts, that was a GOOD thing, Mom?" Her son asked, covering his tenderbits subcosciously. "Mom, you don't think I'd be better off as a girl, because I don;t want to be one, honest."

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I think it's worth pointing out...

Frank's picture

That we didn't hear the conversation Maisie had with Marcie's mother. They could be working on a surprise for Marcie like making her room up especially girly or something....Maisie had Marcie pitch the idea to her mother, so Ida for her part may be in on what they're doing, or just genuinely happy to spend girl-time with Marcie.

Looking forward to more :)

Hugs!

Alexis

Hugs

Frank

Sometimes

erin's picture

Sometimes I feel like I'm reading a different story here than some of the other commenters. :)

I think people project their own fears and concerns onto the main character in a story like this, and that's the way it should be. We don't all have to read the same story even while reading the same words.

Kayleigh, your skill impresses me.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I'll agree with Erin in most part

and I see a wide range of viewpoints stemming from what we read inbetween the lines and this happens all too often in real life too. Too many susposedly HEAR the person they are talking to, but subject what they WANT to hear in place.

In the storyline I see miscomunications galore and alot of people who are afraid to face reality.
Marie - heck,former Mark just goes from point a to b without thinking of consequences of the action
Sue - living out parents wants instead of following her own dreams
Marie's mom - DEf not coping with her child jumping into things w/o thought and worrying the next leap will place in serious deanger she cant protect her child from. By now hasnt figured how to get Maisie to come to her about girl basics - I find that ODD from both Mom & Daughter.
Maisie's Mom - a bitter divorce spills out on child and doesnt know how to reconnect

I can relate to divorce devestating results and creating emotional problems for child and in my case i'm near 60yrs old and still suffering effects of a divorse that occurred before i was actually born. I know my shrink dealing with my GID issues tried unsuccessfully many times to get me to open up, but i shunned her efforts just stating it wasnt related to my GID issue and I flat out didnt want to deal with something I had no control over which was true but it's taken me several years to realize just how much it affected on HOW I related to others emotionally.
Enuff about me,as far as story I'm beginning to see how in later parts this might go and create better environment for all our main characters that Kaleigh has got us so emotionally attached to.

TY Kaleigh - my last stmt is what writers strive for and you got it spades :) HUGGS

so far, so good

I hope it stays that way

DogSig.png