What Maisie Knew: 28. Bad Stuff Followed By Good Stuff

Printer-friendly version

I was astounded. "How did you know it was me?"

She chuckled. "I'm psychic, remember? No, seriously, I have caller ID. What did you think?"

What Maisie Knew: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
28. Bad Stuff Followed By Good Stuff

 

This weekend was even better than the last. The more time I spent with Ida, the more I liked her. We did the makeup thing: she talked to me about colors. We flipped through a fashion magazine and she used the faces to illustrate different techniques, and explained when and where they're appropriate. We talked about day, evening, and night. She showed me how she did her own face. Together we picked out some good cosmetics for me, and she helped me get three different looks with them. I had my eyebrows tweezed, which is always fun (I'm being sarcastic, in case you can't tell — tweezing eyebrows is a pain!).

We did other things too. We watched The Devil Wears Prada together, and we took a long walk through the neighborhood. She told me how things had changed since she was my age... who used to live in this house and that house... who was her best friend, and what they did together.

I got so comfortable during our walk that I almost told her my secret — my big secret — I mean, about how I used to be a boy.

Thank goodness I didn't, but it was only chance that stopped me: we ran into a tiny little girl with a cute little dog, and after that distraction was over, the feeling passed and I realized what a bad mistake I almost made.

On Sunday night when I was lying in bed, I realized that Ida and I were bonding. It used to sound like a stupid meaningless word to me, but now that I'd experienced it, I deeply appreciated it.

And then, of course, Monday at school was a terrible let-down after the weekend. It was hard to take the mundane ritual... high school almost seemed unreal: flat, dull, and, well... high school.

Until the big moment: when I finally went home. Maisie had told me at the very end of lunch period that she and my mother had "done" my room. She told me at the absolute last minute of lunch, so it was impossible for me to ask her anything at all. I know she did it that way on purpose. I was in agony the rest of the day.

"You'll see, Princess! You'll see," she cackled, and I wanted to smack her. Plus, I had to tell myself that being called Princess was a lot better than being called Mark.

When I got home, I ran upstairs and burst into my bedroom.

It was a dream! The furniture was white neo-Victorian (my mother told me later). There was a bureau as tall as me, a huge desk, a rolling chair, a bookcase, a cute bedside table with a lamp. Near the front windows was a sitting area with two massive armchairs, a rug and a coffee table. The bed had an antique cast-iron frame, and an incredibly high mattress, and the whole thing was covered with a mountain of blankets, covers, and pillows. I couldn't believe it. All the furniture, the rugs, the bedclothes, must have cost a fortune!

"It wasn't as much as you might think," Mom said. "With Ida's help, I was able to get some amazing deals. Most of these pieces were a display setting, so we saved quite a bit just from that... And knowing what I was looking for helped a lot. I think I mentioned to you on the plane that we had a generous budget."

"Although you did go a little overboard," my father commented with a smile, as he peeked in the doorway over Mom's shoulder.

"What about you?" she asked, nudging him conspiratorially in the side.

"Oh, yeah!" he laughed as he hauled out a computer video screen from behind his back. "I'd almost forgotten!" He walked theatrically over to my desk, where he set it down with a flourish.

"The rest of it's in the extra room," he said. "I'll hook it up later."

"A computer!" I shouted, overjoyed.

"We figured you could use some of that reward money now," Mom said, "and your father says that the computer will help you with your homework."

He raised his eyebrows and smiled. "So, Marcie, are we the best parents, or what?"

"Yes!" I shouted, "You guys are the best parents ever!" And I ran over to hug them.


Now, I told you all of that just so I could tell you this: That night, after dinner, after my dad had set up the computer ("We don't have the internet hookup yet, so you'll have to be patient," he cautioned), after I finished my homework and changed into my pajamas, I sat on the floor in the middle of my room and looked around me.

I had never had a bedroom like this before.

I never dreamed I would ever have a room like this, yet here it was.

I didn't mind that Mom, Ida, and Maisie had chosen it all for me. It was better that way: I didn't have any ideas about it. I wouldn't have known where or how to even begin.

My room was beautiful, and far better than anything I could have come up with on my own.

That's when it hit me: I was finally settled. Since last August, when we started packing, I hadn't really had a home. But now, I did: I was HOME. I could feel it, through and through.

It was exactly the feeling that Mrs. Earshon, the psychic, had mentioned: "When you're in your new house, the first time you look around your room and feel that everything's in place, then you can call me."

I looked at the clock. It was 9:15. That meant it was 6:15 in California. I dug out my address book and dialed the number.

It rang twice, and then I heard the familiar voice say, "Hello, Marcie?"

I was astounded. "How did you know it was me?"

She chuckled. "I'm psychic, remember? No, seriously, I have caller ID. What did you think?"

"Oh," I said. "So..."

"Tell me, Marcie, how is your room? Is everything in place?"

"Yes, it's–"

"Hang on, Marcie, I don't mean to be rude, but I'm going to start dinner soon. We can talk a little bit about you, and a little bit about business. But we have to be quick, because my tummy's rumbling. I've been going all day, and had to skip lunch."

She put on a headset and chatted as she quickly dealt some cards. "Let's see what we have," she said, and then let out an sigh of dismay. "With you, there is always this double... um, two things mixed together." This was something that confused her greatly when I first met her, before she knew I was transitioning.

"I never... Oh, look at this: There is danger coming, soon, I mean physical danger, but it's not for you... but at the same time it involves you. Oh, dear. Let's see. Oh, I wish we had more time, but... hmm... Right: what it probably means is that somebody misses their aim: they want to hurt someone else, but end up trying to hurt you."

"Is it bad?" I asked.

"You'll be alright," she replied. "The cards that talk about your health and well-being, they're all good. So, you won't be harmed. Maybe a little scared, but you're a brave girl. What you need to remember is this: you have to try to be the best friend that you can be. That's what will save you; that's what will get you through."

Oh, brother! It sounded like an after-school film! Incredulous, I asked, "I'm supposed to be best friends with a person who tries to hurt me?"

"No, that's not what I said. You have to be a friend to the people around you. People your age."

"Is someone my age going to try to hurt me?"

"Hold on. Try to stop interrupting, okay? This danger that I mentioned, it involves an adult, a man, not a relative. Someone you've met." I thought of the bank robber and the purse snatcher. Who else could it be?

For some reasons, Sister Honororia's brother, the policeman, came to mind as well, but it couldn't be him. He wouldn't hurt me. He was a jerk and a power freak, but he was a policeman, after all.

"As far as people your age... there is a girl close to you, probably in your class, your school, who will be... very negative toward you. VERY negative. But there, too, you have to try to stay open, to love, to be a good friend. I see this girl has a broken heart. And this is someone you've already met. Do you know who I'm talking about?"

"Oh, yes," I said, and tears came to my eyes. It had to be Maisie.

"Okay, so be ready. This is going to happen soon, too. The good news is that both things are going to come in the next week or two, and then it will all be over. Oh, and hmm. It says here that you just got some money, but I saw that in the newspapers already. Put it in the bank. You'll need it for something... I don't know what."

I wanted to interrupt and complain about all the love and be a friend stuff — how could she be serious? What was it? Love conquers all? Give me a break!

I didn't get a chance to ask her, though. Just as I was opening my mouth, she went on to something else.

"Here's one more hard thing with some good news behind it: you have to call your old boyfriend–"

"Jerry?"

"I don't know his name, Marcie. Anyway, you need to call him so he can break up with you."

"What!? You can't tell me to break up with him!"

"I'm not, Marcie," she said. "I never said you should break up with him. I'm just saying that you have to call him. However, according to the cards, when you call, he's going to break up with you. You don't need to — in fact, you shouldn't — say anything about a breakup. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry, but I don't think I am."

"Hmmph!" I commented. "I don't want to do it!"

"You have to. Otherwise you won't be able to go on with... oh, you'll find out. You have to call him. But don't worry: there will always be a boy buzzing around you. Not 'boys', plural, but there will always be a boy for you. Okay?

"I guess," I said glumly.

"Keep your chin up," she said. "It's mostly good news. Bad stuff followed by good stuff. That's going to be your life, so get used to it. And, listen, I have to go. I'm starving! This one's a freebie, but I'm going to send you a little brochure with prices and what to do if you want to talk with me. I told you, this is what I do for a living. You're an interesting person, but I can't do this for free. Okay?"

I gave her my address and we hung up.

© 2007 Kaleigh Way

up
154 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Marcie Has Called Her Friend Now

After her bedroom was completed. I liked the way that her parent worked with Maisie and Ida on the bedroom, but that call has opened up a can of worms. It will be fun to see what happens now and if that psychic was correct. Sounds as if Mad Marcie will be saving the day again. I just hope that she does not get detention for it.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The money is for SRS maybe?

That and the dangerous adult, the cop, maybe. Not the sister, his sister.

Misty or her sister is possible or even the French teacher -- IE jelousy of their close relationship or jelousy at her more popular twin. Maybe Misty was murdered, not an accidental overdose or heart trouble brought on by the pills. The killer maybe only ment to scare Misty or get her in trouble for using *drugs* but Misty died and now Masie or Susan is about to discover the dirty secret. I can't see the ghost trying to kill one of the girls. The robber or the purse snacher are unlikely as they should be in jail though on bail one might be stupid enough. But Marcie is harmed/nearly harmed by accident so they have to be after Susan or Maise.

Not Maisie's a**hole dad?

Aaaaaah! My Brrrrrain hurts.

I still hope for Marcie to become a real girl. She is in everyother respect now a girl that it seems she always should have been one. She would be a better mom than her own or Ida as she has seen their mistakes and regrets -- mind you mom's are minor -- and will do better, other than all her daughters will be terrible tomboys until they get the boycrazies.

THAT is the terrible thing, Marcie will be a mom to teenagers someday. Oh the horrors!

The physcic still confuses me, why do the cards still show a duality? His/her testicles are gone. Is it the remants of his male sex or are the cards more powerful than that. Was he/she dual gender, intersexed and the money for SRS will become the money to make her whole? Sorry, had a Disney moment there.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Solving The Riddle

We've got lots of clues to go on, but they're not falling into place for me yet.

I'm trying to remember all the characters we've met along the way. Certainly Maisie and Susan are girls her own age she's met, but I'm trying to remember if there are any more. And Maisie might be a bit negative in demeanor generally, but not particularly towards Marcie, so I'm thinking that rules her out, at least the way Mrs. Earshon described it. Susan seems completely lacking in negativity, so she's out. It has to be another girl. I remember Mara, the basketball player who plays dirty, but she seemed happily gloating after their last encounter, when Marcie got sent off ostensibly to detention the second time, so I don't see a grudge there. Besides, the seniors are older than her, so that should rule them all out. It has to be someone her own age.

As for the men... Purse-snatchers typically don't get a lot of jail time, but we're specifically looking for someone with a grudge against a girl other than Marcie, so he's a low-probability choice. Other than him, the bank robber, who won't be seeing daylight for at least a few years, the two cops, the bank manager and the guard, I'm having trouble remembering male adults who Marcie has met either in her new New Jersey town, or likely to show up there, especially one who might be bent on violence towards a girl Marcie's age. Has Marcie met Maisie's dad? Still, though, if we rule out Maisie, he's out, too.

Of course, after Kaleigh tells us, we'll slap our foreheads and go, "I should have guessed!"

... or maybe ...

... its Misty,

she was Marcies age when she died so still is as a ghost or not?

The man is hardy to guess. I would vote for Masies dad even though some peaces do not yet really fit.

A very good chapter again. You really know how to create and keep tension.

thanks

hugs

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

I just love what you are doing.

The poor girl faces life with courage and chipperness. Its encouraged me to finally step out and create a life of my own.

Many blessings

Gwen

Just wondering how long you can sustain the tension

Well this is a classic though I wasn't immediately convinced in the first couple of episodes of WMK. I certainly am now. Your serials have an element of fun and mischief that is contagious. It resonates in readers and we find ourselves cheering like fans cheering on people in a race. Keep going, look out, don't give up now and the like as these people, especially Marcie, are so very, very real and we don't want them to fail or get hurt. You have a true gift.

Kristi Lynn Fitzpatrick

Kristi Lynne Fitzpatrick

Marcie's Dad goes Psycho

I know Marcie's Dad goes psycho, and the cop saves her as Maisie is nearly hurt by the ghost after Mom tries to exorcise her daughter, while Mrs. Wix who is really related to the psychic goes Columbine at school. Sister H is really one of the weathermen still on the run and Susan is really a thirty eight year old FBI agent on her trail.

Love,

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

LOL

That is some chain of events you've postulated there!

puts on speculating hat

and even 5-6 yrs (late 2013) after the story is completed, I havent peeked.

My vote is one of two people for the bad MAN.
The cop whom doesnt like Macie - he's prob the dope dealer that caused Misty's death.
Vote two - the Spanish teacher which i prefer - The writer only has told us Misty was her twin sister. i suspect she was the twin brother and that's why other teacher avoids her, the libriarian clammed up, the head mistress also. They know HIS past. AKA TG person. Also would explain the mixed death reports. by snooping around Sue is the probable victom the Teacher (I forget her name) found out about. & Marice & VOTE #1 cop save the day, thus allowing the GHOST to peacfuly goto rest. Marcie is spooked by Maries rapport with her mom and reconciles.
Vote #3 - Marcies dad was the drunk driver that comes back to create some kind of tension

ACKKKKK - I give up --- I'm just gonna read further on & let KAYLEIGH tell us (Smiles)

a breakup with Jerry

makes sense, they are so far from each other.

DogSig.png