What Maisie Knew: 32. Good At Crumpling

Printer-friendly version

"You want an email account? Ha– Who w-would you wr-write to?"

"My sister," she said, as if that were obvious. Then, grinning, she added, "You know, Mrs. Wix."

What Maisie Knew: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
32. Good At Crumpling

 

Now, Misty really had me frightened.

"You want an email account? Ha– Who w-would you wr-write to?"

"My sister," she said, as if that were obvious. Then, grinning, she added, "You know, Mrs. Wix."

"Oh, Misty, I don't know if that's a good idea. I think they could tell where the emails came from."

"So?"

"I mean, they could see that they came from this computer, and they would think that *I* sent them!"

"Oh," Misty said thoughtfully. "Well, what if I sent them while you were in school?"

I just wilted; I went limp. What was I supposed to do? If she really wanted to do it, I couldn't stop her. I could lock the computer, but she could easily get my login password just by watching me type it. I'd never even know she was there.

"Can't you write a letter?" I asked. "With a pen and paper? I can mail it for you."

She wrinkled her nose. "Pen and paper is so last century! Email is way cooler! I could even do that chat thing with her!"

I groaned.

"I could!"


Suze's jaw hung open. "And then what happened?"

"I made her promise not to do anything without me."

"Do you think she will? Not do anything?"

I bit my lip. "I hope so."

"Why didn't you bring the network cable with you to school? Then she couldn't send email no matter what."

"Ooh, that's a great idea!" Then I realized: "She could just take Dad's cable."

Suze grinned.

"Or she could even use Dad's computer. He doesn't use a password."

Suze chuckled. "Don't worry. Even if she does get an email account, or gets into yours, there's no way she can send email to Mrs. Wix. Mrs. Wix doesn't have an email account. She doesn't even have a computer at home."

"How do you know?"

"Wix said so. Every so often she makes a point of it." With a fair imitation of Mrs. Wix, Susan said, "I still prefer to write with pen and pay-pah."

"Oooh! Thank goodness!" I said, letting all my breath out in relief.

Miss Overmore happened to wander by our table and greeted us. "Hello, girls. I'm the cafeteria monitor today. What fun! Just think: all that schooling, all that work, for this." She laughed good naturedly.

"Miss Overmore?" I ventured. "You knew Misty Sabatino. Was she very smart?"

Her smile fell and her pretty eyes narrowed. "Why are you asking about Misty Sabatino?"

"I live in her house now," I said. "I mean, we just moved into Villa Sabatino, and I was curious about her."

"Hmm," she said. She repeated my question, "Was she smart?" and glanced at Susan. "Let's just say that she was not brilliant like our Susan here. She was... ah, she was more like you."

I didn't know whether that was an insult or a compliment, but I did see that Miss Overmore looked angry.

She continued, "Hers was a tragic story, and one that I don't like to revisit. If you have other questions, you could ask her sister." The last word was spoken with a sneer.

I decided to play dumb. "Her sister?"

"Your Mrs. Wix. She was Misty Sabatino's sister." She did a quick check in her memory and said, "I'm quite sure I told you that already." She fixed me with a suspicious look.

I was about to protest, because she hadn't exactly said that, but stopped short because of a weird change that came over Ms. Overmore.

Her face abruptly dropped its scowl. She smiled a beautiful, sunny smile, said, "Good day, girls!" and walked off with a swish, as though our conversation had never occurred.

A chill ran through me.

"Oooh, that was freaky," Susan commented under her breath.


When I got home, there were balled-up papers all over my desk. The trash can was full to overflowing, and there were wads of paper on the floor.

It looked like Misty had gone though an entire pack of paper or more, and crumpled it up, sheet by sheet.

"What the–" I began, and started to unfold one of the wrinkled balls.

"Don't look at it!" Misty said. "Writing with a pen sucks! It's way too hard! I need to use the computer!"

"Sorry," I told her. "I didn't know. But why would the keyboard be any easier?"

She huffed with impatience and irritation. "IF I write with a PEN, I have to concentrate on HOLDING the thing AND writing well AND what I'm trying to say all at the same time! If I forget about the pen, it falls out of my hand! If I concentrate too hard on holding the pen, I make mistakes in what I write! If I think too hard about what I'm saying, I write all messy, or I drop the pen!

"If I could just use the keyboard, all I'd have to do is hit one key at a time, and I'd be able to go back if I made mistakes. If I didn't pay attention, nothing would happen, so nothing would get messed up."

I looked at the sea of wasted paper. "Even if you're not good at writing, you're good at crumpling," I offered.

"Ha, ha," Misty said. "That's so funny, I forgot to laugh."

"Sorry." Then I thought about what she'd said. "I guess you're right about the keyboard." I sighed. "Okay, I can show you how to open a document and save it. After you finish the letter, we can print it out."

She nodded. "And then would you mail it for me?"

I nodded. "Yeah." As freaky as that could be... what the heck. "Yes, I will. Oh, hey, I found out that Mrs. Wix doesn't have email, by the way."

She shrugged, and absentmindedly blew a few stray hairs out of her face.

I froze. Ghosts don't breathe, right? So how did she... I was going to ask her, but it was clear from her face that she'd had a long, frustrating day, and somehow I knew she didn't feel like answering questions.

In fact, the news that her sister didn't have email, just seemed like one more thing gone wrong. Poor Misty!

By anyway... yay! One landmine avoided! Could you imagine if Mrs. Wix — or worse, Ms. Overmore — started getting emails from Misty? From their old friend or twin sister — who just happened to be dead?

Everyone would think I'd done it as a sick prank.

Still, I have to say, even with the danger of her going wild on the internet, it was great having Misty around. She was always ready to chat, and I could tell her anything.

Well, almost anything. I didn't tell her about my big I-used-to-be-a-boy secret, but I told her everything else: about Jerry and Eden, about Maisie and her mother, about Sister Honoraria and her policeman brother...

She, in her turn, told me about when she was at BYHS, and story after story about her Maisie (Mrs. Wix) and Yvette (Ms. Overmore) when they were teenagers. The three of them were great friends, and did all kinds of crazy things together.

Two things in particular astonished me to no end: that Misty and Mrs. Wix called Ms. Overmore "the third twin" and that Mrs. Wix was one of the most popular girls in school.

"...if not THE most popular!" Misty complained. "She used to sing and draw... people would go on and on about her lovely voice and her beautiful pictures... I was the quiet twin... all I could do was dance... and she was the one with all the boyfriends!"

"Really?" I asked in utter disbelief. It was hard to reconcile Misty's stories with the now-frumpy Mrs. Wix, but I had to believe her.

"Wow," I said without thinking. "What could have happened to her to make her the way she is now?"

"Uh," Misty replied, pointing out the obvious, "I died."

"Oh," I said, embarrassed beyond degree.

But Misty laughed, told me not to worry about it, and immediately launched into another long, breathless story.

It was like having an older sister. She was easier to be with than Maisie — a lot easier — and she could do such cool things. She showed me one now.

"Hey, watch this!" she said. "I did this by accident earlier, but now I can do it on purpose."

She stuck her tongue out the side of her mouth to help her concentrate, and then she picked up the pen. She held it and shook it slightly a couple of times.

"Uh... uh... oh...," she said, with apparent effort. Her eyes widened, then: "There! Okay!"

She extended her arm toward me, as if she was giving me the pen. "Here: try to take it."

I reached for the pen, but my hand went right through it. "Whoa! Cool!" I said, a bit louder than I intended.

"Isn't that cool?" she asked proudly.

"Very cool," I agreed, chuckling. I moved my hand through the pen several times. It looked solid, but it wasn't there. Misty giggled.

Then I remembered a question: "Hey, Misty, I wanted to ask you something. Do you ever sleep?"

She thought for a moment, as if the question had never occurred to her. "No," she said. "At least, I don't think so. I kind of go off sometimes... and then when I, uh... well, the next thing I know, it's tomorrow or the day after or whatever. I guess that's kinda like sleeping."

"Do you dream when that happens?"

"No, it's just... nothing."

Suddenly, my bedroom door flew open. Misty vanished immediately. Mom stood in the doorway, her face pale and full of concern. I was on my feet in the middle of the room with my hand up, reaching for the pen, which still hung in midair. I put my fingers in front of it, to make it look as though I was holding it. Silently I prayed that Misty didn't let go.

"Marcie, who were you talking to?" Mom asked. "Is someone else in this room?" She glanced at my arm, but didn't comment on my unnatural pose. I stuck my other arm under my elbow, to prop it up.

"Uh..." I began, but got distracted by the pen. It was halfway through my index finger, so I pulled back a little and cupped my palm underneath it. It must have looked strange. I hoped Misty would have the sense to let it fall into my hand.

"I was..." I ventured, and at that moment the pen tipped and hung for a moment, passing straight through my wrist. Full of alarm, I couldn't help but look at it. Most of the pen was above my hand, but about a third was sticking out though the back of my wrist, the part facing my mother.

There was no way she could miss it. In fact, she gaped and pointed. Then the pen fell with a loud clatter to the floor.

"Jeez Louise!" Mom shouted. "How the– what the– that–"

"Sorry," Misty whispered. "I dropped it."

© 2007 Kaleigh Way

up
144 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Now THAT was FUN!!!!

Frank's picture

Very funny at the end with Mom and the pen!! I do wonder if she (mom) can hear Misty or if she thinks Marcie is speaking like two people (multiple personalities, what if the male one comes back)..

Just wonderful!!!

Huggles

Alexis

Hugs

Frank

marcie?

wow way cool tlking to gost and now the gost wants ato send email and what ever wow ok verry good what nixt?
[email protected]

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

Well, Our Mad Marcie Does It Again, Or Should I Sat That

Misty did it. Now it will be fun to see what happens next. I just wonder what Marcie's Mother will do now? Will Marcie call her Psychic friend now?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

A Couple Episodes Back...

...I wouldn't have bet that we were going to have a "real" ghost, a la "Topper" (the 1939-1941 movie trilogy and 1950's tv series), but here she is!

You know... it's been a long time since there was a ghost comedy on television, and one aimed at teenaged girls would have a decent chance of being successful. This story is, if nothing else, funny, and the tg element has been really incidental to most of the comedy, so even if you had to drop it for commercial reasons, the story would still work.

Kaleigh, get a book on script-writing for television, munge together a couple of chapters, and make a pilot script for a tv series about Marcie, Misty and the girls of Blessed Yvette's and send it off to the studios!

I worry about Yvette

the now Mrs Overmore, okay she did get married, seemed so nice when we first met her but now she said some very insulting things abour Misty and Marcie and in a mean spirted way, then suddenly she's Miss Sweetness and light. What gives?

Did she give Misty the pills knowing they were dangerous for her? Were these high dose pills slipped in in place of low dose. Did she deliberately try to hurt or kill Misty to hurt the highly popular future Mrs Wix? The line between love and hate is a fine one and if someone that close sudenly felt betrayed ... I've seen close friends deteriorate into bid enemies so fast your head would spin. A conflict over a boy, a spurned lesbian overture?

If she wanted to see Ms Wix suffer she could hardly have done better. The former beautife, happy, singing dancing woman is a premature frump, overweight and sad. Yvette is still beautifle and appears very fun loving except when the venomous fangs come out as they seemed to to Marcie and Susan. Is this just how she coped wit the lose of Misty or is she a murderess, accidental or intended.

Your readers demand more, this is good.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Speaking of "Topper"

"Topper" was my inspiration. I rented the film and a sequel so my daughter could see it, looked for the old Leo G. Carroll TV series, and found the book online (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/forgottenfutures/smith/topper1/...).

I actually had a very different idea to start with -- nothing to do with Marcie Donner -- and wrote maybe 15 chapters, but it was awful. It had to do with a girl who'd died in a car crash... a boy picks her up... he doesn't know she's dead (neither does she, at first)... he drops her at her home. Next day, she's back hitchhiking in the same spot. He doesn't want to pick her up because she was so sullen and suspicious of him the day before, but today she desperately waves him down. He's the only one who can see her, so she feels she needs him... he sees the news story on TV about how she died, etc., etc.

And the TG element was very awkward... a possession sort of thing... kind of like the Spiderman/Venom story, in that she would take over when he was asleep, and wrap his body in this ectoplasmic sheath.

It was too creepy for me.

BUT MOST OF ALL... there was no end. And if there's no end, there's no point... and it also wasn't funny. It was pretty depressing. If you start out with unhappy characters in a bad situation, readers tend to not laugh so much.

It reminds me of a time when I was doing a long commute with a friend who's a screenwriter. He had an idea that he thought was HILARIOUS, and he had a hard time telling me the story because he kept cracking up. His idea was about this guy who needed an organ transplant, and he goes to this Eastern bloc country (this was a few years ago), anyway... I had the hardest time explaining to him that it was not funny.

Anyway, as my ghost story was floundering, I got the "Maisie" idea which also wasn't working, until the ghost story came into it. (As you'll see.)

of Topper and more.

Have you read the original books by Thorne Smith ?

I still find them even more enjoyable than the films or TV series.

Jeeze Louise!

LMAO!!!
Michelle

Yes, I can see how that might...

... be just a little disconcerting to see a pen fall from mid air, and stick through your daughter's arm/hand. I certainly can.

I can't wait to find out how Marcie explains THIS to her mom!

Interesting difference in perception among the various stories about Misty!

Annette

Thanks for my morning coffee

Thank you for this story. It goes with my morning coffee. Now that I have my fix i can go to work, Arecee

I wonder if.....

KevSkegRed's picture

.....Marcie's mum could see Misty if she appeared to her, she saw the pen while it was in Misty's control. Very funny end to the chapter. I do hope Susan can see her too, that would make their sleepover even funnier than it promises to be.

Kev [Ρĥàńŧāśĩ»ßő™], Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

KevSkegRed, Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

I'm starting to wonder

Frank's picture

If Misty didn't die, and is alive and well...and took her sister's place...but couldn't pull it off and grew up to be a frump...Misty the ghost wouldn't blow her sister's cover....hmmmmm

Hugs

Frank

I don't think so...

because the nigh-on-hero-worship way that Misty was talking about how Maisie was the more popular one fits with how twins think of each other... we always look at the other one as so much better than ourselves, even if we're good at something in our own right.

My twin sister, for example, was always jealous of how easily I did the "brainiac stuff" as she puts it. I was always jealous of her being allowed to be who she was. We both acknowledged that we each thought the other half had it better, butit's just how things are. It's human nature to not recognize the myriad wonderful things that one can do -- usually only being proud of a small handful of skills and/or talents. It's also human nature to always see things in others that we would like to be able to do.

I see a g-g-gho-ghost!! Eeeek!!

Hello Kaleigh!!! ^___^ 8-o!!!

Come on now, breathe. It was just the wind. Wait a minute the windows are closed!! How was that pen hanging in the air? I thought it might be hanging on a thin fishing line. But, no, it fell to the floor with no string. Marcie!!!! What is going on?!?!? Who have you been talking to? Tell me the truth now!!

Oooh, what fun we are having now. Another believer is about to join the ranks. This mystery is really living it up. It is certainly not dead in the Donner household. Waiting patiently for the next chapter. No, I won't hold my breath that long to pass out from delirium and lack of oxygen.

The Jewish Passover is this Saturday night. For those who observe it. Have a great holiday and a great day of rest.

Rachel

Mom needs a lesson

Mom needs to study up in the manners she is insisting Marcie learn. It is very rude to burst into somebody's bedroom without at least giving a courtesy knock first.

I'm betting mom can neither see not hear Misty. Misty has no physical form to move the air when she speaks, it's just Marcie "hearing" as well as "seeing" in her head. Arguably, the manifestation is actually a hallucination by Marcie, if not for the stunt with the pen. But I'm sure mom can convince herself of a "logical" explanation for the pen that does not involve ghosts. And then convince herself that Marcie is not well and needs to be well-medicated until she gives up her "delusions".

Nope, I still don't think much of mom. ;-)

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

In my next Marcie story...

... there will no adults at all. It will be a kind of sitcom based loosely on "Lord of the Flies"... for girls.

will there be

Angharad's picture

a pig's head?

Angharad

Angharad

Heavens, no!

But there may be haggis.

Uh-h-h, Lord Of The Flies?

I always thought that was a sick story, inflicted on poor kids in English class
by sadistic teachers.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Only kidding of course

It's just that my adult characters are seen so negatively.

The point was, in Lord of the Flies, there are no adults.

Yeah, I know

They're not really bad, you just write them that way. ;-)

K

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Keep em

Adult characters act as foils and backdrops and antagonists and protagonists etc for these poor children. Whether they are likable or not is not important.

Clearly this story is written from a child's point of view, there is little enough explicit discussions between the adults themselves to give us a better motivation behind them.

If you want to dispel any negativity about a character you have to write MORE about them; present their POV. Don't go all Dick Cheney on us with the secrecy now !

BTW, I think Marcy can explain the pen thing as a magic trick.

Kim

Why Didn't the Pen Disappear?

If Misty could make the pen ghostly, why didn't it disappear when Misty did? Of course, the ending with Mom wouldn't have been quite so funny if that had happened :-)

I really like this story. When it arrives BEFORE I have to leave for work, I have a happier morning. Sometimes, I just miss it and have to wait all day!

My guess

The pen has a physical existence in the world, whereas Misty is purely a spirit phenomenon. Or, if you like scientific explanations, Misty exists in a different dimension that can be made to impinge on ours. The pen, however, exists in our dimension and when Misty quit manipulating it, it returned to our dimension.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Another possibility

It could be that Misty, at least unconsciously, *wants* to get caught.

Well, Duh!

Misty has been alone for nearly 15 years and is desparate for friendship and I think to pass on to whatever there is after death. But she is stuck here either because she was murdered, maybe the original Maise being the target, and need justice or is simply stuck waiting to set things straight and get Overmore and Wix back together.

I remember that Yvette -- Mrs Overmore -- said how this Maise was like the old one, smart, out going while Marice is like the late Misty, shy, not super bright and quiet by comparison. And the way she said it with vitrol worries me. Did she kill her when she meant to kill Maise? Why all the lies? Why say it was a car crash and not weight control drugs? Is she so vitrolic at Misty because she took the pills meant to kill Maise? IE the *stupid* girl messed up her plans for revenge?

I seem to be obsessing on the French teacher but if not a murderess, she sure carries a lot of bottled up hate inside for such an otherwise charming, fun loving woman.

You are driving us crazy, K.

And from what I remember of Lord of the Flys, not only were there no adults but few HUMANS on that island. Kids can be very cruel and savage, Yvette once was one.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Wow!

That's all I can say

Wow!

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

hmmm

Looks like Macie's gettin a stay @ home sister. Bet Mom & dad never bargained on trading one son for two girls (giggles)

a new pickle

what will she tell her mom?

DogSig.png