What Maisie Knew: 35. The Bad Stuff

Printer-friendly version

"Remind me why we're friends with Maisie," I said to Susan.

"She does have her moods, doesn't she?"

What Maisie Knew: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
35. The Bad Stuff

 

Maisie never made it to lunch on Friday. I don't know why. Maybe she just didn't eat. She never eats very much anyway.

"Remind me why we're friends with Maisie," I said to Susan.

"She does have her moods, doesn't she?"

"Lately she's been so weird, so hostile..."

"She's been acting like a boy, like you said yesterday."

"But today—"

"Did she talk to you today?"

"No. You?"

"Not at all. Are you guys still doing the mom swap today?"

I sighed. "Yeah. This is supposed to be the last one."

"It really bothers you, doesn't it?" Suze asked. She crunched into a celery stick.

"Yeah."

"Why?"

"I don't know. It's like... I know it's good for Maisie to have a positive relationship with an adult..."

"Meaning your mom."

"Right. And it's great that I don't have to do all that work around the house..."

"You lazy thing!"

"Hmmph! But it seems like Maisie's been meaner to me since it started."

It was weird. It began more or less as a joke, when I saw Maisie laughing and having fun with my mother. Then, I thought it would be nice for Maisie, who has so much that's bad in her life... plus, Ida is about the coolest adult I've met, and I get to spend time with her.

I guess I expected Maisie to be happier, or better, or nicer... or at least grateful! Instead, she's gone from friendly teasing to being pushy and rough and rude... and just downright hostile.

Susan mused, "Maybe Maisie wishes she could take your place. I wonder whether psychologists have a word for this? It isn't sibling rivalry... it's more like family envy or... what could they call it?"

"Oh, Suze! It doesn't matter what anybody calls it!"

"Sorry," she said, and mentally filed the question away, so she could think about it later. "Anyway," she went on, "It could be that after living in your house, in your life, she might hate her own life even more than before. Maybe she resents the way you relate to your mother. I mean, that you don't have a problem with your mother. Or even with her mother, for that matter."

"I don't know..."

"Just think: at the end of each weekend away, she goes from fun, relationship, caring, smiles, back to–"

"Back to one of her two hells," I said, finishing the thought as Maisie would have.

Susan sighed. "But you know what's weird? *I* envy Maisie. I would switch places with either of you in a heartbeat. I love my family and all that, but you guys have this total freedom, while I live in permanent lockdown."

"You would switch places with Maisie?" I asked. "Is it really that bad at your house?"

She sighed. "No, I guess not. I wouldn't want to be Maisie. She is so messed up. And I could never give up my family."

"No, me neither," I said.

The two of us ate in silence for about twenty seconds, when I said, "The thing is, I keep feeling that something bad is coming. Like Maisie is going to knife me in the back somehow."

Susan laughed. "What do think she'll do? Kill you and take your place? Like in a Lifetime-television-for-women movie?"

"Yeah," I replied. "Something like that."

"Oooh, creepy!" she giggled.

Susan obviously thought I was joking or exaggerating, but I wasn't. At the same time, I didn't like badmouthing Maisie. She *is* my friend, in spite of the way she's behaving now. So I shook off my negative thoughts with a shudder and followed Susan to the library.


At the end of the day, I was standing my by my locker, struggling with my stuff. I probably should have set something down, so I could arrange things better, but instead I clung to my weekend bag with two fingers. I didn't have my backpack — Mom had put it in the laundry and forgot to dry it in time, so all my books and papers were stacked in my arms, and they tended to slide in different directions.

The arrangement was pretty awkward, but I thought I could make it outside to the car. I shut the locker by leaning my back against it. At that precise moment, Maisie came tearing down the hall. Quite purposefully, she knocked the whole pile out of my arms, sending my belongings flying halfway across the hall. Without looking back or saying a word, she ran out the front door.

"Maisie!" I shouted angrily after her, but she didn't stop, turn, or even seem to hear me.

She picked the worst possible moment to do it, too. An instant later, the Friday stampede was unleashed. Every girl in the school had only one thing in mind: GET OUT THE DOOR. And nothing could stand in their way: it was a flood of blue-skirted balls of energy with legs — and hard, sensible shoes.

Each time I crouched to pick up a book or paper, some girl would nearly fall over me, or at least bump into me. Sometimes they kicked me, or kicked my things away. It didn't matter whether it was on purpose or by accident. The point is, it was overwhelming.

Girls kept shouting, "Watch out!" as if it were my fault. I didn't see who, but someone else tried (unsuccessfully) to knock my books down again. A few girls from my senior gym class came strolling down in a group. At first they stopped and gathered up everything of mine. I was grateful and relieved, until they pitched all of it as far from me as they could, or tucked my books into places I couldn't quite reach. It wasn't until virtually everyone had left that I was able to find everything. Plus, I had to do a fair bit of jumping to get the books in high places.

They set my weekend bag on top of the lockers, just out of my reach, but after I'd whacked it a bit, one of the handles dropped far enough that I could jump, grab it, and pull the whole bag down on my head.

The cover had come off my Algebra book, and the others looked a bit worse for wear. All of my papers had footprints on them. I didn't think girls could be so mean!

Still, aside from the one book, nothing was broken... just dirty, and I could dust them all off at Ida's house.

By the time I got outside, Maisie and my mother were long gone. Ida was the only mother left. "Your mom wanted to say goodbye," Ida told me, "but you took so long to come out. Are you okay?"

In answer, I threw my things into the back seat, and hugged Ida around her waist. She put one hand between my shoulders and the other on the top of my head and held me. She didn't say anything or ask anything, and she didn't move or try to end the embrace. She just held me.

When I felt a little better, I stepped back. Looking into her face, I said, "Thanks."

"For what?" she smiled, and ran her hand through my hair. "Listen, how about we stop at the grocery store first and pick up some food. Okay? I've been looking forward to your cooking all week!"

"Great!" I replied. "I already worked out the weekend menu and the shopping list."

She chuckled and walked around to the driver's side. As I opened my door, I had the feeling someone was watching me. I looked up, directly into the eyes — or rather, the dark glasses, of a man. He was sitting behind the wheel of a white panel truck, which was parked across the street.

He turned his head away slowly, started the truck, and drove off. Wherever he was going, he wasn't in a hurry. I stood next to Ida's car and watched the van until it went down the block and took a right turn. It gave me an uneasy feeling for some reason, but at least they were heading away from us, away from the direction we were going.

"Everything okay?" Ida called from inside the car.

"Oh, yeah," I replied, and climbed in.


As we walked from the car to the grocery store, my cell phone rang. The caller ID told me it was Maisie.

"Hey, Maze," I said. "What's up?" I'd been happily chatting with Ida, and had forgotten for a moment about the books and Maisie's hostility.

"You tell me," she said, in a low, poisonous voice.

"What do you mean?" I asked, my blood chilling.

"Who are you?" she asked.

My face grew hot. "You know who I am. You called me. Maisie, what's this about?"

"Do you remember Miriam Clegg?"

I stood stock still, frozen in fear. Miriam was a girl from Tarhent, a girl from my block, a girl I knew since kindergarden. If Maisie knew Miriam, then she probably knew that I used to be a boy.

Ida didn't realize that I'd stopped, and she kept on walking.

"Sounds like you do remember. Did you know that Miriam is a friend of mine? I just finished talking with her. It was a *very* interesting conversation. I asked her if she knew you, and she did. Well, she knew Mark. But it turns out that Mark wasn't a tomboy, Mark was just a regular boy-boy, wasn't he?"

"Oh," I said in a small voice.

Ida had almost reached the door of the supermarket. I felt cold and small and far away.

"Yeah, oh. So what are you, Mark? Some kind of freak? A boy, dressed like a girl? A pansy? A sissy?"

"Oh, Maisie!" I cried in distress.

Ida heard me and turned back to look. Now that she saw how far behind I was, she stopped to let me catch up. I heard a car take a sharp corner behind me, but I didn't turn to see.

"You sound like a girl, and you look like a girl, but you're not a girl. You disgust me. You make me want to throw up. I wish I could kill—"

I didn't hear the rest, because a pair of rough hands grabbed me from behind and yanked me into the back of a van. "Go! Go! Go!" a voice shouted, and the van took off. The last thing I saw before the door slammed shut was Ida's face, contorted in a mask of fear, horror, and helplessness.

© 2007 Kaleigh Way

up
150 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It's Funny

Frank's picture

Before I read today's episode, I was thinking about Maisie's hostility. For some reason I got to wondering, I wonder if she knows the truth about Mark. I didn't think jealousy was the reason although maybe that plays a part...[shrug]

Looking forward to Monday!!!

Alexis

Hugs

Frank

wow maisie?

ok just when it started to just take off you want to quitok so just quit i been looking forward to reading a lot of the storys here even your than half way every one wants to quit so tell me whyi give up if every one is gonna quit than i just go read the storys at cristal,s or fm no need to stay here and only read half a story ,sorry but that is how i feel .and i wont lie i call a spade a spade,as iam truley a sourthern man .have a good one and i come back in a few week to see if you went on with more of this good story ,[email protected]

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

Huh?

Frank's picture

No one is quitting anything. Kaleigh will be posting the next chapter on Monday...she doesn't post it on the weekends.
You replied on my post, but I was speculating on Maisie, I'm not sure where the idea of quit came into anything???

Confused hug

Alexis

Hugs

Frank

What Maisie Knows

Has just now hurt Marcie in more ways than one. And we will find that things are really getting hot for Maisie and Ida. But will they stay friends with Marcie now?
The psychic said that Marcie would not be hurt, but would be scared, hope that she is correct.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Well . . .

Irregardless of the kidnapping, which was likely aimed at getting Maisie, it seems as if Maisie has shown her true colors. A mean-spirited homophobe. I'm not the forgive and forget type, and in my eyes Maisie has reached the limits of my ability to forgive. I don't care what the psychic said, when Marcie gets out of this it's time to cut her loses and drop Maisie like a sack of s***. At least maybe this will get Marcie out of the stupid girl's school.

Additional thought: Why was Maisie talking to the girl in California? Just by accident or did she call to find out more about Mark/Marcie that she could use to tease/torment/taunt her "friend" with. My bet is the latter.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I Don't Think It's going to Go That Way

I don't think it's going to go that way based on what I think Kaleigh has said in comments and in the story so far. It will be interesting to see if it was Maisie or Marcie they were after and if the motivation was profit, Maisie's father trying to cause mischief, or one of Marcie's former criminal contacts trying to get even or prevent her from testifying. It's unlikely that it is Maisie's father as I don't think Marcie has ever met him (the bad guy is supposed to be someone she knows). I'm guessing that Misty will help her escape. I do agree that Maisie needs to get punished for her behavior.

Probably not, still . . .

I know this is a story, and not real life, so it will go whichever way Kaleigh wants it to go. It will end with a Disney moment, much hugging and stuff between the two girls with lots of "I'm sorry" and "You're forgiven"s exchanged. I'm just saying, I wouldn't do it. I could not forgive or forget Maisie's actions. Period. And what did Maisie think was going to happen to her weekend swap after that nasty phonecall? If I were Marcie, I'd have been on the phone immediately to my mom; telling her what Maisie said and asking to come home right away. Then how would Maisie's dreamlife mom react towards her? Attacking Marcie is no way to make points with Marcie's mom, that's for sure.

As for the kidnapping, as we know from the psychic that Marcie was going to get caught up in something aimed at somebody else, my money is on Dad anyway. Likely aiming at getting a nice chunk of money from Maisie's trust fund, one way or another. I've got some ideas about who the person is she knows, but I'll just wait and see on that part.

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I don't remember her meeting...

About the kidnapping (we presume), the psychic said "it involves an adult, a man, not a relative. Someone you've met." Has she met Maisie's dad? There's no indication that she has.

There's a pretty obvious plot device available to resolve the kidnapping. After "being a friend" to her ghostly peer, and introducing her to her mother, she becomes an obvious resource. She can appear wherever Marcie is, and carry information about her location and kidnappers back to Marcie's mother.

As to Maisie's coming around, that could depend on what Marcie's mother says. If she attributes the girlhood to the surgical mishap and other factors, it would go a long way to defusing Maisie's reaction.

Jorey
.
sudokurose.com

Jorey
.

Yeah, but

The kidnapping could have been instigated by Maisie's father, and one of the kidnappers could be somebody she's met before. I have a person in mind, but won't say more.

Just think, the grab team gets her to the hideout, the sack is pulled off her head, and X says "You idiots, you got the wrong girl!". And Marcie immediately realizes who it is, realizes there is no way he will let her go, so she makes a break or whatever the first chance she gets. Like maybe calling Misty and having her take word to her mother.

As for Maisie, she's a write-off at this point, as far as I'm concerned. Maisie may need a good friend, but she sure isn't one. I don't generally turn the other cheek, unless its to bring my arm around for a clear shot of my own.

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Double or Nothing

That was sort of a double-cliffhanger.

The interesting thing about the snatch-and-grab is that it interrupts the telephone conversation which is the focus of our attention. The reason I say that it's interesting is because it diffuses the emotional impact of the conversation as we try to refocus on the kidnapping.

While these are notable flexion points in the plot, and are key to subsequent developments, the abrupt ending of the chapter doesn't have as notable an emotional impact. The reader is left sorta going, "Oooookay... It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out."

I think it's the empathy factor. If the story continued for another paragraph or so, time to allow Marcie to panic, then the reader would share some of that, too. As it is, without a reaction from the protagonist, the reader is a bit insulated from it.

Beg to differ

I'm plenty emotionally involved.

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Hmm...

The kidnapping is aimed at Masie:

"You know what my ex looks like?"
"Sure."
"Well grab the girl who is with her, thats my daughter, I can make us both a lot of money off her."

Or something like that, the fact that no one has made any seeming effort to grab Marcie at any other time rather makes me think that anyway. :D

I, think, that the Marcie/Masie thing will be brought to a head with this, the psychic did say that she needed to stand by her friends, and at the point she must feel very much like she wants nothing more to do with Masie.

Oh god two days of no chapters I think I'll die waiting. :(

Keep it up. :)

JC

The Legendary Lost Ninja

Well that certainly was a

Well that certainly was a cliffhanger! I had suspected that Maisie had discovered the truth about Marcie's past, from the way she wouldn't drop the Mark comments, and was seemingly progressing beyond friendly teasing, but I certainly didn't expect that level of venom (though it does fit what we've come to know of her, psychologically speaking).

While the kidnapping cutting Maisie's comments short did seem to halt a lot of the emotional momentum of the phone call, I don't think that's a bad thing, or that it detracted from this chapter (or the cliffhanger) at all.

Eagerly awaiting the next installments!

I can forgive

I can forgive Maisie. I dont think kaleith ever gave her age but I assume she is around the same age as Marcie. Girls that age can be very judgmental and vicious. For little reason too. And this is a big reason. Hopefully given time and help, Maisie can come to see marcie as a friend.
Wow, what a cliffhanger. what will we do till monday

Maisie is jealous

Maisie is jealous of the family, and life that Marcie has. She's jealous of how out going and easy Marcie is to be around, and of the love that her family shows her.

When things don't start to add up, and then a confirmation of the fact that Marcie used to be Mark? That jealousy turns to anger and a sense of betrayal. it is perfectly normal for a person to feel, angry, betrayed, and shorted in life, now add to that fact that she is a teen-ager. I think Maisie is acting true to her character and true to her situation.

I'm still rooting for Maisie to come around.

Good work, Kaleigh

A.A.

Re: Maisie

I think Maisie is acting true to her character

Just to make it clear: I don't think there is a problem with the portrayal of Maisie, I believe she is entirely consistent. It's just that she is a bad character, or person, IMHO. As I read her, I see her as a villain in the story; and in real life you can not trust people like that. If they stab you once, they will stab you again. God is in the forgiveness business, I'm not.

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

help from Misty

Misty can do more than carry back information. She can do the pen trick and make Marcy's bonds or handcuffs go through her body. She can steal the weapons of the bad guys. She can cuff or tie them up. She can probably do the pen trick with the door and allow Marcy to walk out.

Clever Idea!

Hadn't thought of that. Bril, Ray!

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Karen, I have hopes for Maise but I agree she has wronged Marcie

I agree with what JC said, that the kidnappers were told, "snatch the girl with my wife, that's my brat"

He has had so little to do with his family for so long, except for the court hearing I doubt is he has a photo of her or a good idea of what she looks like and Marcie is fairly similar in appearance to Maise, if memory serves. I like the idea of Misty picking a lock or somehow triggering 911 on a phone or the like.

Though it could be other's, as so few men are in this story, unless is the boy of her Dad's boss, it's likely the cop. I cna't see the purse snatcher or the bank robber as they ae likely in jail unless they were let out to help the cop snatche her. Sad to say there are cops on the take, and snatching a kid to scare her mom into settling in his favor seems a likely stratagy. He, dad, must know if Maise dies he will get nothing as the court is VERY hostile to him and the wife. Unless Maise's dad is so sick he'd have her killed to frame the wife.

Oooh! Did the cop poison Misty years ago? Misty said she took the pills corectly. Did they assume a bad reaction and never test for poison? Did the cop react so bad to Marcie early on because she is so much like Misty at the age, both in looks and manner?

I'm thinking too much.

Great stuff.

I agree, Maise needs to grove, crwal in broken glass and generally be Marcie's dogsbody for the next few years before she is trustworthy. That or save Marcies life and beg her forgiveness for putting her in this mess in the first place. Maise was the target after all.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. And give up smoking too.

John in Wauwatosa

I have a feeling that the

I have a feeling that the man in question is the policeman brother of Sister Sister. This would make him, as Marcie was told a man you know, but not a relative. I hope Misty comes to the rescue. J-Lynn

Sad, but not quite the horrible...

...cliffhanger I'd expected. This one, I'll be able to speculate a bit on... So Maisie's dad is having someone kidnap her, so Ida won't have her. So, Maisie's trying to stop smoking (due to Marie's mom's influence) and nicotine withdrawel is mucking with her and making her crankier than normal. So Marcie used to be Mark, and finds it easier to make girl friends than Maisie and has a mom she can have fun with.

Are we surprised that Maisie's mucked up, and taking her anger out on anyone? Are we surprised that Maisie's dad is doing something to mess with Ida?

I'll be curious to see how things wrap up over the next ten episodes of How Marcie's World Turns... :-)

Annette

Love it

Hi all

I have read this story from the start first I would like to say that Maisie is hurt very hurt she heard her Father and Mother talking about her, first they wanted her then they didn't she was really hurt, so she is mad, mad about life and mad with her family, along come Macie nice girl she hit if off with Marcies mom something she didn't have in her live, she bonded with her then the little Green Demon showed up, she wanted to trade for good take over her live and have a real family. I think she is what 13 or 14 some where around there, she is mad at Marcie because she has what she can't, and sees her get along with her own mother this makes her mad too so all of this is working on a young girls mind and with homones working too she goes over board. I do believe her Father took Marcie to get her turst, but ended up with the wrong girl. Misty will save the day i'm sure, Marcie's mom will find out what she told her girl and that will put a wedge between them, i'm sorry I see bad times for Maisie she will lose all her friends and lose the one person she is trying to impress. I kind of feel sorry for her.

Hugs and Kisses
Melissa Ann

Hugs and Kisses
Melissa Ann

Oh dear

Ohdearohdearohdear

NB
Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.