Rules Are Rules: 37. Something You Seem To Forget

Printer-friendly version

"I don't know how parents survive!" she exclaimed. "You've been with me for what — five or six weeks now, and I feel like I'm either going to have gray hair or a heart attack or both! And the thing is, you're just skipping along, tra la la, and — oh! I'm a girl! oh! I have a boyfriend! oh! I climbed the school building! oh! I have breasts!"


Rules Are Rules


37. Something You Seem To Forget

 

The ride to the doctor's was not the most comfortable conversation I've ever had. I wanted to ask questions, but knew I should keep quiet. The saying "bite your tongue" came to mind, so I literally clamped my teeth on my tongue to remember not to talk.

Aunt Jane, on the other hand, just let herself go.

"I don't know how parents survive!" she exclaimed. "You've been with me for what — five or six weeks now, and the whole time I feel like I'm either going to have gray hair or a heart attack or both! And the thing is, you're just skipping along, tra la la, and — oh! I'm a girl! oh! I have a boyfriend! oh! I climbed the school building! oh! I have breasts!

"And every time you convince me that it's not some stunt you pulled, but just 'the way things happened'. Well, that train has stopped. That flag will not fly any more! You did this on purpose. You knew what you were doing. You knew what was happening, and you hid it so no one would stop you."

I sat in silence, and put the tip of my tongue back between my teeth to remind me not to talk.

"Am I right?" Aunt Jane demanded.

"Yes," I replied in a small voice.

"What?" she said loudly. "I didn't hear you."

"Yes, you're right," I said.

"I don't believe this bull-hinky story about a magical tea, by the way. I don't want to hear it. I'm taking you to a pediatric endocrinologist, and he will tell me what you've been up to. And then I want to know where you got the pills from."

"I didn't take any pills," I said, in spite of my determination not to speak. I wanted to ask what an engocryologist was, but went back to biting my tongue.

Jane didn't say anything for a while, but then, in a softer tone, she told me, "I want to believe you, but it's practically impossible, in the first place, for breasts to grow that quickly, with or without chemical help. And if there really was a tea that gave results like that, girls all over the world would be drinking it. Something happened to you, and even if it is the tea like you say, you still need to see a doctor. In spite of everything, you really are a boy, which is something you seem to forget."

At the hospital Jane led me through a maze of back hallways and stairs until we ended up in the employee clinic. A doctor was sitting in a chair, waiting for us. Aunt Jane fell all over herself thanking him for his time.

He said, "It's okay. I had a couple kids I had to see anyway." He was a fairly young, good-looking guy with light brown hair. He was wearing a white coat and had a stethoscope around his neck. He smiled at me, introduced himself as Dr. Monroe and shook my hand.

I liked the feeling of his strong, rough hand. I thought, If I were a girl, I'd have such a crush... but this was no time for thoughts like that. As he led me into an exam room, Aunt Jane insisted on coming with us.

He had me lift up my shirt and open my bra. I felt pretty embarrassed as he looked at my breasts and felt them. He also felt in my armpits for some reason, and then told me I could get dressed again.

"I don't understand why you wanted me to see Marcie. Rapid growth is unusual — I mean, it's rare, but not unprecedented. And you don't mind, do you?" With a smile, he directed the last question at me, and smiling I shook my head no.

"The problem is," Jane said slowly, "that this is a boy here."

"No," the doctor said.

"Yes," Jane insisted.

The doctor smiled. "Is this a joke? Did Hughie put you up to this?"

In the end, the doctor had a to do a more thorough exam to be convinced, and then his manner changed. He asked whether I was "transitioning", whether I was under a doctor's care, and whether I was taking any hormones. Jane answered all the questions except the last.

"I'm not taking any hormones," I said. "I'm not taking any kind of pills or shots or anything like that."

Luckily, the doctor seemed to believe me. Also, he wasn't upset or worried, which made me feel better. He commented, "Boys sometimes have breast growth at the onset of puberty. It isn't harmful. Once their testosterone starts going, the growth reverses."

"This much growth?" Jane asked.

"Well, no," he admitted. "I'm afraid that if you want to reverse this situation, you'd need to undergo, uh, breast reduction. But — based on Marcie's presentation, demeanor, dress — I'm guessing that this is a welcome change. Am I right?"

I nodded again.

"Have you talked to your therapist or doctor about hormone suppression?" I shook my head no. Jane sighed.

"What the hell is causing this?" she demanded. "You don't seem overly concerned."

"No, I'm not overly concerned," he said. "Things like this happen! Usually the problem is how to get rid of them. If Marcie likes them and wants them and her parents don't mind, then I don't see any cause for concern.

"I do want to do some bloodwork," he said, "I'll write up the order, and you can have it drawn right now. Once the results come in, I'd like to see Marcie in my office."

He handed Aunt Jane a card. "Call on Monday and make an appointment for two weeks from now. And get a referral from her therapist. We all need to be on the same page."

Jane insisted, "Aren't you afraid that she's taking hormones?"

"Honestly — just a gut feeling — I don't get that impression, and she says she isn't. Do you have any reason to think she is? I mean, aside from the breasts?"

"What do you mean 'aside from the breasts'? That's why I think so."

"Hmm," the doctor commented. "Puberty is a fairly malleable state. A lot of things can happen before the body settles down. Admittedly, this is a pretty extreme case, but boys do grow breasts. It happens." To me he asked, "Are you using a shampoo or body wash with lavender or tea tree oil in it?"

I shook my head no and asked why.

"Lavender oil and tea tree oil have been known to provoke breast growth in boys. Again, once the boy switches to a different product, testosterone gets the upper hand, and the breast growth reverses."

Jane pulled the brown paper bag from her purse and asked, "Do you know anything about this tea?"

The doctor took a sniff and chuckled. "Oh, yeah, I've seen this stuff before. It's harmless. Girls drink it and hope it will make their breasts start growing, but it has no effect. They drink it, and what was going to happen anyway starts happening, and they think the tea did it. It's just some herbs — wild yam, fennel, some other stuff. Like I said, it's harmless."

"Can I keep drinking it?" I asked.

"If you like it," he said. "Drink all you want. It's not going to do anything for you either way."

Jane and the doctor talked a bit more, and by the end of their conversation, she was a lot calmer.

I liked the doctor, and I had already decided a couple of things:

  1. The tea had made my breasts grow,
  2. I was definitely going to keep drinking the tea,
  3. I was going to get shampoo and body wash with lavender and tea tree oil.

The blood tests didn't hurt. I had to look away so I wouldn't see the needle, but the woman who did it was good and fast.

When she was done, she asked, "Are you too big for a lollipop, hon?" When I smiled and shook my head no, she gave me a red one.

"How about you, mom?" she asked Aunt Jane, who sighed, then smiled, and took a green one.

As we drove away, Aunt Jane said, "I don't how I'm going to explain this to your parents. The doctor seems to think it's just happening by itself, but your parents are going to flip right out. I'll try to keep them calm, but I'm sorry, Marcie, they might want to pull you out of here." She looked at me. I smiled at her, and she shook her head.

"I don't know how you can be so calm about this. It's a big deal. I mean, you realize that if you want to go back to being a boy, it's going to be difficult. You might need more than a breast reduction."

She took her lollipop out of her mouth and said, "You manage to get into the craziest situations!" She sucked on the lollipop, thinking.

"I guess it would be worse if you didn't want to be a girl and had those things pop out of you, but still..." She didn't finish the thought. She just sighed.

"Hey," she said, "I haven't even had breakfast yet. Are you hungry?" I was. So, we went to a diner, where she had breakfast and I had lunch.

Then she drove home and went to bed, saying she'd call my parents when she woke up.

I walked over to Alice's house, filled her in on what happened, and made myself a cup of tea.

up
213 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another great chapter!

But where was the angst? Poor Marcie was all alone in her defense of the truth until the doctor said something. Please keep those standards high :)

Diana

Interesting...

In this particular environment -- one where psychics really do know what they're talking about -- the doctor's statement doesn't carry as much weight as it would under other conditions. So I guess the jury's still out on the tea question. (And if Marcie goes ahead with her plans -- supplementing the tea with the bath oils -- it's liable to stay out for a long time.)

On the other hand, if/when the blood test results come back, the tea may not be an issue.

Can't wait to see how it comes out.

Eric

(BTW, a cute -- Freudian? -- typo about halfway through the chapter: "maleable" instead of "malleable".)

I do enjoy this crazy tale

Angharad's picture

That's what I doing wrong, wrong shower gel, I use Dove and just get feathers or olive branches!

Angharad

Angharad

Finally the answer

I've been using Pantene shampoo & conditioner... While it's nice on the hair, it's not much good elsewhere, except in the manufacturer's bottom line. Hey, maybe it's a good thing it doesn't increase MY bottom line... It's big enough all by itself.

Fun read once I restarted reading and got past the early forced bit.

Annette

I suppose…

…that's what you might call a bum thought, Annette!

Gabi

(Who once had a step grandmother called Annette. I remember her advancing on me like a galleon under full sail—she was a VERY LARGE statuesque lady with a tiny meek little husband.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Amazning Chapter Kaleigh!

Kaleigh

Fortunately, I was able to read the first paragraphs
between the crack in my first and second fingers...
After that, thank god, I could look at the screen.

I love the zinger about the TEA. I actually had
a suspicion that they would find out exactly that,
but thought to myself..., Naaaaahg!

I'm so gullible I guess, and I don't mind at all.
You really had me going, and I loved it.

Now how come Marcie has gone boy crazy? Oh my god!
You're not going to make her a slu@#, are you!?!?

Kidding... Kidding...

I love this story so much, Kaleigh. I'm taking it
piece by piece and pasting it into one document so I can
give it a good all in one read, but I could not be more
tickled. It's a confection. Sometimes sweet, sometimes
tart, sometimes it's even a little gamey, like Aardvark;
but every morning and evening, it's like that little dish
of treats that I sneak a 'SMALL' guilty pleasure from.

My dentist and I thank you, Kaleigh. A very sweet,
non-fattening, story treat!

Sarah Lynn

P.S.

An toigh leat te?
An gabh thu tuilleadh?
Tapadh leat!

Cathain a bhainfidh an traenach/bus amach i Cill Airne?

A bheil Gáidhlig agad?

Hmm, Interesting.

Do dheagh charaid,

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Irish

Sure. Everyone's having a good time,
then someone starts in with the old Irish,
and the next thing you know someone gets hurt!

Such a buautiful language, it's a shame
that typed, it looks like someone had the
Hic-cups!

Sarah Lynn McMorgan

Not Irish! Actually…

…it was Scots Gaelic. There are small differences I'm told, and I only did it as revenge on our Welsh faction who break out into their native tongue at the drop of…

It must be something to do with the Celtic fringe—or is that a new style of bangs? 8)

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

I Love The Story

jengrl's picture

I think that your story is a very nice experience. I personally think that there are things that happen in life for which medical science has no answer for. Marcie is finding her true self even if it was by accident. Your story is a real pleasure to read and I am looking forward to more of it. Keep up your wonderful work!

Warmest Regards,

Jennifer Campbell

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Marcie And Her Special Tea....

Are going to cause quite a lot of misadventures for her. I just wonder what you have in store for her now that she has seen the doctor. Keep up the good work, I am enjoying reading about Marcie.
May Your Light Forever Shine.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Gonna see a run on health food stores for this tea :)

I think the doctor is going to find the blood tests confirm his guess that Marcie is truly a girl even if she has a boy's body. Thankfully, she was seen by a younger doctor who is more likely in the know regarding the TS/TG issues than an older one might be or generally is. The way he talked, he did seem more than aware of the TS/TG factors.
A sweet story that needs to continue. I love Marice's Aunt, she is "freaking out" and yet she has a new niece living with her and can't believe it. J-Lynn

.

"And the thing is, you're just skipping along, tra la la, and — oh! I'm a girl! oh! I have a boyfriend! oh! I climbed the school building! oh! I have breasts!"

...haha. I'm glad someone in the story finally noticed that :p

"You knew what was happening, and you hid it so no one would stop you."
"Am I right?" Aunt Jane demanded.
"Yes, you're right," I said.

..And that!

"No, I'm not overly concerned," he said. "Things like this happen!

Uh...they do? I think the medschool this boy went to must have been at 'Bikini Beach' O_O Slight breast tissue development happens - yes. B-cups? not so much.

3. I was going to get shampoo and body wash with lavender and tea tree oil.

lol. First the tea, now bodywash. This story should be retitled to "A Study of the Placebo Effect With Regards to Gender"

On another note.. the google ad-sense at the bottom of this page features: "LoseManBoobs.com" - lol.

predictable

3. I was going to get shampoo and body wash with lavender and tea tree oil.

What did that doctor expect ? Giving Marcie some additional ideas.. *shakes head*

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

questionable medical ethics

At least he didn't slip her a card with www.InHousePharmacy.com on it.

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Tea

I'd like to place an order for 50 pounds of that tea... LOL.

Much love
Toni

a hoot

i really laughed at this.
"You've been with me for what — five or six weeks now, and the whole time I feel like I'm either going to have gray hair or a heart attack or both! And the thing is, you're just skipping along, tra la la, and — oh! I'm a girl! oh! I have a boyfriend! oh! I climbed the school building! oh! I have breasts!

marcie is a hoot. its so cute and shes full of action. i wonder about the tea. does it have some hormone in it that might show up with bloodwork? marcie could be in real trouble then but probably not from the authors discrption.

Aha!

So our intrepid authoress has been TEAS-ing us all along !

*ducks*

Kim

are you all forgetting mind control?

having the right frame of mind Can have physical effects. I have a step-brother who uses it to keep migrains at bay. Sure the tea could be a plecebo(sp) but witht the right frame of mind, who knows what a pubesent body can accomplish?

anyway..... another great chapter Kaleigh. I especially liked the bit about going out and getting lavander and tea tree stuff. :)

A.A.

herbs

It's just some herbs — wild yam, fennel, some other stuff. Like I said, it's harmless."

Funny herbal breast growth formulations contain such - then hegoes on to state - shampoo and body wash with lavender and tea tree oil -

Here more examble of phyto-estrogenic herbs , kind of like SOY, hops, and several others. It's funny how MODERN medical science seems to discount HERBS in general as old wives tales and other mythical brews, yet looking back not all that far back in history, those same things were all that was available & used for many an ailment - Hmmmmmm - maybe to quick to disciount such.

Lets look a bit closer tho .... in the storyline. - 13 yr old boy - seems to be - pre-puberty stage - not that uncommon in boys - maybe gymastasia (spell?) history in family.
Now lets throw in some "TEA" high in phyto-estrongen levels. It seems likely in the scenero, the herbs kicked that puberty into gear, combined with a LOW testerone level, this boy could possible trigger puberty with estrogen high enough to trigger breast growth that of a girl and probally other physical traits. Let's face it prepubercent children are medically not that built different. or better yet, human male and females in general. If this wasnt the case Transsexual surguries would be a complete waste of time. Think about. The clit is the penis, the labia is ball sack, overies are gonads. It's a miracle that anything comes out right in growth process. I've discovered the realities of this with the problems my tyroid has generated for me past 15 yrs. (not to mention the self-medicating of hormones) before seeking medical attention.

while many (most?) have desired effect from Herbal breast growth formulations. Consider this. most of those products dont take in account folks that have gone thru puberty and generating higher levels of testerone, etc. They assume au-natal borns are taking them, not males after puberty.
To me this seems pretty simple to understand and comprehend why some do well with herbs while others have little or no reaction to herbs.

There's alot of individual issues and concerns to counterbalance to achieve desired results. IF FOR NOTHING ELSE ... the transgender wishing to achieve real medical results , and ENDO/Dr. is so critical for determining those T3/T4/TSH levels and rebalancing them in a safe manner. If you're lucky, you might get results w/o, but keep in mind. HORMONES affect much more than just causing boobies to grow.

BE SAFE - THINK :)

Marcie needs to be careful

there is such an idea as too much of a good thing

DogSig.png