Rules Are Rules: 30. Special Delivery

Printer-friendly version

An upperclass girl came in to use one of the toilet stalls. I didn't look at her, but I heard her sit down. At the same time, there were noises from the boy's bathroom, which is on the opposite side of the wall. In a vague way I remembered Carla once telling me to never use this bathroom, but she didn't have a chance to explain why. I suddenly found out.


Rules Are Rules


30. Special Delivery

copyright © 2006, 2007 Kaleigh Way — All Rights Reserved

 

Friday was a big day.

It was the last day of my dress-code punishment - the last day I'd have to go to Mr. Bryant's office to recite the dress code for girls and have him check my outfit. By now, it was just a friendly formality, more like saying "good morning" than a disciplinary thing.

In any case, I took a detour before going to the principal's office, on account of another big thing: my first pimple. It appeared that morning, under my right cheekbone, red and ugly. It wasn't ready to be squeezed, but it hurt enough to make me constantly aware of it. I went to the first-floor bathroom to study my face in the mirror. I wondered whether Eden might know how to cover it up... I hadn't had time to ask my aunt.

While I was there, an upperclass girl - she looked like a junior - came in to use one of the toilet stalls. I didn't look at her, but I heard her sit down. At the same time, there were noises from the boy's bathroom, which is on the opposite side of the wall. In a vague way I remembered Carla once telling me to never use this bathroom, but she didn't have a chance to explain why. I suddenly found out.

Behind the wall, there were fast, excited voices. I could make out one boy saying, "Throw it! Throw it!" over the sound of a toilet flushing. Then came a muffled explosion, followed by a low, heavy gurgle. I turned, completely puzzled, and saw a geyser of water shoot upward in one of the toilet stalls - the only occupied stall, of course, and the girl inside shrieked and screamed, then started to cry.

I gingerly stepped through the water that now covered the floor and gently knocked on the stall door.

"Are you okay in there?" I asked. I knew it was a stupid question, but what else could I say?

"Of course I'm not okay!" she shouted. "I'm covered with sewer water!"

"Listen," I said. "I can help. I'm going to go to the nurse's office to get a blanket and a towel you can wrap yourself in. Just stay there. Okay?"

"Okay," she replied in a small voice.

When I emerged, I saw Jerry and Pat. "What's going on in there?" Jerry demanded. "Was that you screaming?"

"Can I tell you later?" I said. "You guys — don't let anyone in there until I get back, okay?" They nodded, so I ran upstairs to the nurse's office, explained the situation, and grabbed a blanket and a towel. While I was running back down, the bell rang. Jerry said, "We got to get to class. Are you going to be okay?" I nodded, and they quickly left.

Back inside the bathroom, I coaxed the girl out of the stall and draped the towel over her head, covering her face. "This way no one will see who you are." Then I pulled the blanket around her, covering her whole body. "Now let's get you to the nurse's office."

She followed me with slow, tiny steps. It took forever just to get out of the bathroom and into the hallway, which was empty except for one big senior in a varsity jacket.

I didn't mind helping this girl, but at the rate she was going, I'd never get to class. I looked at the boy's big shoulders and made a quick decision. "Hey, can you help me?" I called. "This girl was hurt. Can you carry her to the nurse's office?"

The girl gave a tiny yelp from under the towel, but I whispered, "You'll get there a *lot* quicker!"

"Sure," he said. "Anything to get out of class!" He moved to pick her up, but I stopped him.

"Is that jacket made of leather?" I asked. He nodded, so I had him take it off. "Just a precaution," I said. He gave me a puzzled smile, but when I didn't explain, he shrugged.

He scooped her up as if she weighed nothing, and ran up the stairs two at a time. I meant to hold the doors for him, but instead he left me running to catch up, holding his jacket. When we got to the nurse's, he set the girl on a bed, and the nurse unfolded a screen to hide her.

When the two of us were left alone outside the screen, he looked at himself and then at me.

"Why are my arms all wet?" he asked in surprise.

"It's just water," I told him, "but it wouldn't hurt to wash them well with soap and hot water."

"Ah," he said, comprehending. "Cherry bomb in the toilet, right?"

"I guess," I said. "Thanks for your help."

I ran to my homeroom, and was just dropping into my chair when the PA clicked on. "Will Marcie Donner please report to the principal's office? Marcie Donner to the principal's office."

My teacher said, "Took the words right out of my mouth."


At lunch, right after Carla, Eden, and I sat down, Cassie plunked into the chair next to me. "Hi, there," she said, smiling.

"Hello," I said. "What brings you here?"

"My long, lovely legs," she replied. "How come you were called to the principal's office this morning? Seems like you go there a lot."

"I was supposed to go before school," I said, "It was the last day of my dress-code thing."

"Thing?" she repeated. "As in punishment thing?"

"Yes," I said, "What's up, Cassie? Why are you here?"

"Why are any of us here?" she replied.

Inwardly, I sighed. Lately Cassie was getting to be a bit much. She was going beyond just teasing me to hassling me. At first, I thought that the teasing meant she liked me, but now I wasn't so sure. And I didn't see a way to make her stop.

At that moment, the girl who had been doused walked by my table, followed by the tall guy in the varsity jacket. He smiled and gave me a big thumbs-up. I returned the gesture. The girl was wearing different clothes, and her hair was clean. She looked none the worse for her experience that morning.

"What was that about?" Cassie demanded.

"What is anything about?" I responded, smiling. Might as well give as well as I got!

She cocked her jaw to the side and narrowed her eyes slightly as she considered me.

"Okay," she said. "I'll tell you why I'm here if you tell me why Mahon the Man gave you the thumbs-up."

"You go first," I responded.

A quick blush spread across her face, then disappeared. "All right. I brought you a book. It's from Nina. I was going to tease you with it." She pulled a 'Nancy Drew' book from her bag and slid it across the table to me. I stuffed it into my bag. "Now spill."

"Why did you call him Man-The-Man?" I asked her.

"His last name is Mahon. M-A-H-O-N. It's pronounced like 'man', so everybody calls him Big Mahon or Mahon the Man. So how do you know him? Why did he give you the sign?"

I told her, Carla, and Eden about the cherry-bomb incident.

Cassie eyebrows shot up to her hairline. "You got him to carry the girl upstairs? Who was this girl?"

As she questioned me, she seemed angry, though I couldn't for the life of me understand why.

"I don't know her," I lied. "I don't think I'd recognize her, either. She was all wet and bedraggled when I saw her."

Cassie stood up and looked at me with disdain. "You're a miserable liar," she said, and walked away.

Carla and Eden were silent for a few moments, then Carla said, "Marcie, I never thought I'd say this, but school is getting way more interesting than television."

I sighed. "That's what Mr. Bryant said, too."

Eden was munching on a cracker. Between bites, she asked, "Why is Cassie's sister giving you a Nancy Drew book?"

As if in answer, a bored-looking girl from one of my morning classes threw a note on the table, next to my elbow. "It's from your boyfriend," she said, as if that was the lamest, most abjectly stupid source that a note could ever come from.

"Thanks," I said, unfolding it. I read the first part of the note aloud to Eden and Carla. "Watch out for Cassie — she is going to tease you with some dumb book. It isn't from Nina. It's just a joke." The rest I didn't read to them, I just blushed at it.

"Hey!" I called to the girl. "How long did you hang on to this before you gave it to me?"

She stopped, turned slowly, and glared at me. "Oh, no you didn't!" she said, wagging her finger like a metronome.

"Uh-oh, here we go," Carla said.

The girl wound up and let loose a tirade. "Hey, yourself! Don't 'hey' me, girl! Think you're all Marcie Donner, Darcy Monner, Fartsy Gonner-ee-ah or something? Do I look like a mailman? Am I wearing a mailman's uniform? Am I post-office-special-delivery? I don't think so!"

I thought she was done, but she took another breath and went back to it.

"Do I look like some kind of bicycle messenger to you? Hey yourself! Hey! HEY! Barcy Bonner! Parcy Ponner! Where's my bike? I'm not a bike messenger! Did I ring my bell at you?"

Everyone was watching, but I was too stunned to be embarrassed. And still the girl wasn't finished.

"Don't you go calling me 'hey' - My name's not 'hey' - I did you a favor. Check it out: It's not a telegram. Nobody died. It's same-day service, right? Check the postmark, before you start giving me lip."

She blew a bubble and popped it with a loud crack! "You got a complaint? Do you have a complaint? You can go right on down to the complaint department and give it a great big kiss." Turning, she pointed with both index fingers to her butt. She stared at me for a moment, said, "Yeah, I didn't think so," and started to walk away. Then she stopped and announced, "Oh, yes, and by the way, I DID read your note." She rolled her eyes and gave another resounding crack! with her bubble gum before leaving the room.

"What the hell was that?" I said.

Carla shook her head and laughed. "That girl is a trip."

"Why in the world did Jerry give the note to her?" I wondered.

"He probably doesn't know her," Carla replied. "I mean, you thought she was normal until just now, right?"

"Are you going to read it?" Eden asked.

"Read what?" I asked, blushing. "The rest of the note? It's kind of personal."

Carla guffawed.

"No, silly," Eden replied. "Nancy Drew."

"Oh, I guess so," I replied, and the three of us laughed.

up
187 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

but!!!

What did she think when she got stuck in the chorus line? Did I miss a chapter? Let me go see! Still considering how paranoid schools are now days, I surprised at the cherry bomb. I'm not kidding, but a couple of local high school kids got suspended for setting off a baking soda and vinegar soda-bottle rocket as a lunch time prank. A improvised explosive devise as reported by the local news.
Hugs!
grover

Cherry bomb?!?!?

Pleas explain to a poor higgerent Brit what a cherry bomb happens to be. I am sure that we have an equivalent but6 can'r for the life of me think what it is. Must be tooooo old!

Great chapter again, and what did happen about the chorus line?

Gabi.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

its a bomb

cherry bomb abought the size of a wallnut its cherry red has a fuse sticks out abought 1.5 in. looks like a stem equelant to 1/16 stick of denimite .....will go off underwater.
anouther supper chapter
Melissa c

OMGG…

…no wonder the poor girl was so upset; I'd have gone potty—I mean mental. The worst thing we used to do in the loo was to climb on the seat so we could reach the flush lever on the cistern in the next cubicle, then when the occupant was sitting comfortably and, preferably, in full flow, activate the flush. We thought it hilariously funny—except when one was the victim. Am I glad we didn't have cherry bombs in the UK.

Mind you, where I lived on the south coast of England for part of my childhood, when we had a particularly strong south-west gale, that used to cause back flushing. Not very nice

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Cherry bomb

Cherry Bombs are a type of very large firecracker that has been illegal in the US since 1976 according to Wiki. It was thought to be funny to flush one and have the explosion cause the toilets to back-flush spraying sewer water all over everyone nearby. The explosive power advertise somewheres near or under 1/5 of a stick of TNT. Warning! They can cause serious injuries.

Whoops my bad. A 1/16 of a stick but still that is a lot of explosives.
hugs!
grover

A cherry Bomb..

A Cherry Bomb is a round - cherry sized firecracker. The boy who dropped it in the plumbing would at least be suspended from school.

TGSine --958

preferably

Angharad's picture

on quite a long rope.

Angharad

Angharad

Penalty

That sounds like a bit too harsh as a penalty. Now if he happened to miss lunch because he was tied up, that I could understand.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Depends on how you tie him up,

Angharad's picture

I was merely agreeing with the suspension, and a rope tied around his neck from a top floor window, seems reasonable. Depending upon when it was done, it could also mean he missed his lunch, although it is customary to allow them to eat first. 8)

Angharad

Angharad

I like Angharads idea of suspension

But the kid would probably be arrested and expelled from school.A kid flushed a cherry bomb while I was in school and it caused over ten thousand dollars in damage.Between the damage it did to the pipes in the wall and the flooding it was quite the mess.Amy

Hey, Nancy Drew isn't THAT bad

Well, maybe in High Scholl it's a tad juvenile but still. I probably read them all (at least those that were available). And the Danna Girls, and the Hardy Boys, and the Rick Brant stories, and the Motor Boys, and the Combat Nurses and.. Oh, I dunno there were so many series of stories I read when A youngster (well today too I guess). Some of those were 60 years old when I read them (100 now). A book that's fun to read is worth reading. The Nancy Drew books were mostly fun to read.

As to the toilet incident... The story I heard about "initiations" on submarines was that someone that wasn't "with it" was told to go open the toilets while they are back flushing... The girl in this story had it easy by comparison. Still, I'm glad the rest rooms were useable when I went to High School... My eldest daughter couldn't use them (or most anyway) but that was primarily due to the smoke...

Glad I gave the "story" a second try. It's been fun - after the first couple where things were "forced".

The babysitter club..

Was a cool sereies of stories I read. The boxcar children, too.

TGSine --

TGSine --958

rules are rules #30

geting to real but good chery bumb yes thay used to be that good er bad but the new one are not as bad and i reamber back in the 60s in jr high were some one taped 4 toghter and trow it down the tolitwow it was relly a big stink for a week i did not due it but knew who did and well les say he missed school for a year n a half and had to pay to have it all cleend up owell fun ,thanks for the time warp ,love n hugs whildchild

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

thats sooooo crul

I was teased and bullied a lot but I'm very grate full we never had such kind things in school.
Thats just plain cruel and quite disgusting. I hope the guys who did it get sacked.

hugs

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

Sacked ?

I'm not sure how to understand that word in this context. They can hardly "fire" them, since student isn't a paid profession. Perhaps you wanted them in body bags ?

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

expulsion

holly probably meant expulsion from school

Very dangerous item, a

Very dangerous item, a cherry bomb.
I know of them actually blowing apart toilets when flushed.
So the girl that got "blasted" can thank her lucky stars she was not physically hurt. One of the cruel things done at one the high schools I went to (attended several due to being a "military brat") was for the Senior boys to find a ninth grade boy who was acting like or talking like he was "cock of the walk" and they would then "pants" him (pulled his pants down or off) and then toss him into a girl's bathroom when girls were in there. Fun for them (the Sr Boys), hell for him, and the girls would toss him back out and tell him to never come in there again.
When I first saw that happen, I was horrified that any boys would do that to another boy. I was very glad I was a girl, and that my two brothers were Juniors.

...

Thinking of toilets and explosives...

While at school (boarding) two of my friends managed to blow themselves up... One stole a detonator from a quarry near his home, then they stole some PE from a quarry near the school, they put it in a tin then wired it up to a stereo... and switched it on :D... No-one died but the guy who was holding the tin lost a good part of his hand...

Same school used toilets... well the 6th form used them on the first years... Insert Head -> Flush....

Ugh!

The Legendary Lost Ninja

.

The motto of this chapter:

Put explosives in your story for an explosion of reviews! :p

Evalyn is exactly right

I *really* didn't expect this sort of discussion!

I'm almost afraid of posting some of the chapters that follow.
(You'll see what I mean.)

no, your ...

No Kaliegh, you're the 'bomb'. :) (for the Brits, that's American slang for good)

A.A.

Be afraid

You are likely right to worry. Tell you what, send them all to me and I'll prescreen them for you. Just in case.

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Bang on…

…used to be British slang in the 40s & 50s for Great, fantastic, super. I believe in contemporary slang it might have a slightly coarser connotation.

This chapter was certainly on target.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Nancy Drew

I've read a couple, and a couple of the Hardy Boys too. they're okay, but I didn't find Nancy Drew all that girly

DogSig.png