Rules Are Rules: 8. The Other Foot

Printer-friendly version

"Mark, look. This isn't some sitcom on TV. It's real life. It's high school. Kids can be very cruel. You never know — one tiny slip, one little detail could give you away, and it would all be over. Then what would you do? Leave school? Run away?"

Rules Are Rules: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
8. The Other Foot

 

Alice cried, "Jane, is everyone in your family crazy?"

Aunt Jane sputtered for a bit, then recovered, saying, "Good one, Mark, good one. You really had me going there for a minute. No, Alice, he's just getting me back for teasing him before."

Alice looked closely at my face and replied, "I don't think he is. You're serious, aren't you, Mark?"

I licked my lips and nodded.

"No, no, nonono," Jane said, waving her hand. "Out of the question."

"Why?" Alice asked. "I'm still having trouble believing that this is a boy sitting in front of me. I mean, I do believe it — Mark, you need some 'girl' lessons, by the way — but my eyes tell me that this is a girl."

"Everybody at school thought I was a girl," I offered.

"Girls don't sit with their legs splayed like that," Alice replied, pointing at my knees, which I quickly closed.

Jane was about to speak, but Denise signalled her to wait. She said to me, "Mark, look. This isn't some sitcom on TV. It's real life. It's high school. Kids can be very cruel. You never know — one tiny slip, one little detail could give you away, and it would all be over. Then what would you do? Leave school? Run away?"

"It's only one semester," I put in.

Denise continued, "It's not just about you, either. If you were found out, my job would be on the line. I would not only get fired, I'd never work in the school system again."

"You could just say you didn't know," I suggested.

"And the records?"

"If I get caught, you can take away the Mark record and say you didn't know."

She thought a moment, then said, "Then where did the Marcie transcript come from, if I didn't know?"

"Could I say I made it?"

Denise puzzled over that, but before she could speak, Jane burst in, "What about bathrooms? What about gym?"

"We talked about that before, remember? You said I could sit down and not stare, and you said you'd get me a doctor's note for gym."

"I was only kidding about the doctor's note," she said. "I just made that up."

"Anyway," I said, "Now I have gym at the end of the day, so I don't need to shower at school. I can just come straight home."

"She has an answer for everything," Alice said.

"He," Aunt Jane countered.

"Whatever," Alice said, smiling slightly.

Jane returned to the charge. "What about your parents? What are they going to say? They'll think I'm a total flake!"

Alice and Denise exchanged glances.

"Don't they think that already?" Denise muttered. Jane didn't take the bait.

"They don't have to know," I replied.

"If you get caught, they'll know," Jane retorted hotly. Then she turned on Alice and Denise. "And what's with you two? I see the looks and faces you're making."

"Uh," Denise faltered.

"The thing is," Alice replied, "is that Marcie is sounding a lot like you. You were always a master at talking people into stuff."

"Stuff they wanted to do anyway," Jane replied.

Denise looked doubtful. "I don't know about that," she countered. Jane glared at her.

"What all of you don't seem to realize," Jane said, "Is how much trouble I could get into."

Alice and Denise erupted into laughter.

"Do you know how many people have said that to you?" Denise countered. "The two of us included."

Now that the heat was off me for a moment, a thought suddenly hit me: None of them realized that I was just as surprised as they were. I didn't mean to say what I said. I meant it, but I didn't mean to say it. It just kind of came out. The moment of insight that I had on the sidewalk was like something out of time, a kind of cosmic moment that I didn't know how to process or what to do with. It was like a curtain was lifted and I saw this whole girly dimension calling to me. It felt like home. And now, sitting here, dressed in a skirt and cute top — well, it felt so incredibly natural, as if I always dressed this way. Jane was right: I liked these clothes. I didn't want to get changed.

Another thing: I liked being with these three women. For the first time I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up: I wanted to be like them! Was that strange? Whether it was weird or strange, well, whatever it was, it was right.

It sounds so logical and clear when I write it down like this, but at the time it was just a jumble of inarticulate feelings. I felt them, but didn't know what they meant. I went with it, because it looked like the best way to go.

My experience on the sidewalk and my time with these women... sure, it was brief, hardly an hour. Still, it was enough to convince me that I could do it and that I wanted to do it. It would be fun and interesting to be a girl for a few months. And yes, maybe it wouldn't always be easy, but it would definitely be worthwhile.

Alice said, "Face it, Jane. All your life you've gotten people into mischief. Sometimes they've landed in more trouble than they could handle."

Denise added, "For once, the shoe is on the other foot."

Jane shook her head. "I can't believe this! I can't believe the two of you are ganging up on me!" She waved her hand as if to shut Alice and Denise off, and turned to look at me. "Mark, listen. You know I was only kidding before, right? I was just teasing you. I never, never, never meant for you to wear a dress to school. I will even go so far as to say that I'm sorry that I made you late for school, and I'll admit that this is all my fault, okay?"

I could see that she was almost choking on the words — that it was hard for her to apologize. Denise and Alice were astonished.

Denise said, "Wow! That's a first."

"I wish I had a video camera," Alice added.

Jane ignored them. "Don't do this, Mark," she asked quietly. "Don't do this to me."

"I can do this," I replied with a firmness and decision that surprised even me. "I can pull it off. Alice and Denise didn't believe I'm a boy, and no one at school thought I was a boy. I can do this, and I want to do this."

Jane sighed.

"Okay," Alice said. "But you're going to need some help. Seriously. You have to come over this weekend and I'll help you." Suddenly her face lit up. "Oh! And I have something you can wear tomorrow!" She grabbed my hand and said, "Come on, I'll show you." She led me out of the living room into a short hallway. "You two, stay there," she called to Denise and Jane.

I followed Alice into her bedroom and she pulled open her closet. "I have a dress that I think you could wear tomorrow. You can try it on now, anyway. I bought it, but then I never had the nerve to wear it. It looked good in the store, but when I got it home it looked more like a costume than a dress, but I think you can pull it off."

She handed me a dress on a hanger. It was a brown Bohemian dress. There were swaths of three or four different patterns, separated by blue or purple lines. If the pieces were arranged differently, it would have looked like a crazy quilt. One pattern was a soft tie dye of white, red and brown; the second was light red and white flowers; the third looked like cells under the microscope, drawn in brown and white, and the last was blue paisley. From the waist up, the stripes ran diagonally, but they were horizontal on the skirt. The sleeves were long and loose.

Alice said, "I'll leave you to it." Before she left the room, she said, "Are you really a boy? Tell the truth."

"Yes," I said. "Cross my heart."

After she walked away, I heard her tell the other two, "Let's open a bottle of wine. Dinner's just about ready."

The dress fit me perfectly, and I have to say, I liked it a lot. Being a boy, I'd never worn colorful clothes anyway, but I guessed that even girls didn't wear so many colors at once. Once it quieted down out front, I came out to show them.

"Is this too much?" I asked. "Too many colors?"

Jane's mouth fell. Alice's eyes lit up. Denise said, "No, it's you. It's just fine. It looks really good on you."

They asked me to spin, to walk up and down, to sit and stand again. Alice examined the fit. Denise and Alice commented on which shoes might suit the dress. Just then, a timer dinged.

"Oh!" Alice cried. "You can't eat dinner in that. If you spill something on it, you won't be able to use it tomorrow. Come on, I've got another one I can't wear. Then I'll put dinner on the table."

She shut off the burners on the stove and ran back to her bedroom, pulling me behind her. From the closet she quickly extracted a white minidress. "Don't worry about how it fits," she said. "This will help you learn what to do with your legs."

"But it's white," I said. "What if I spill food on this?"

"Don't worry," she said, "Neither of us can wear this dress in public anyway," and she ran from the room.

© 2006, 2007 by Kaleigh Way

up
209 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Bohemian Rhapsody

It looks like things are starting to work out for Marcie. The dress sounds amazing, but is it suitable for school? It might be too garish, and Mrs Zeff will likely find it highly "inappropriate" bringing more trouble for our hero/ine!

This is a fun story, perfect for the festive season.

Seasonal hugs,
Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Maybe I could make a link

Maybe I could make a link to the dress I was describing. It's really nice.

Is this the real life, is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality.

I know I'm well late, but this has got me well and truly hooked.

So I missed it being festive and stuff, but if you haven't read this -- do

OR ELSE

NB

I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

This is the bumbling beginning

I think it gets underway in chapter ten...

Glad you like it. (For some reason this comment didn't show up as new for me... I only saw it by accident.)

What a jolly little story !

I am just loving the way this buoys my spirits. The Christmas season generally sucks, though I did not used to feel that way.

Sure it is implausable, but so was Gilligan's Island.

:)

Gwen Brown

its really really good

Awsome story. I love how Mark is now fighting them to let him go to school as a girl. he is showing he is determined.

One compliant, its small tho. Jane seemes to have changed. She was trying to push him into girlhood and now she is begging him not to do it. I undersand motivation but i liked jane pushing him.

the story is cute. i love it

I see what you mean -- I

I see what you mean -- I should work on that transition... She was supposed to be a flakey adult, taking advantage of Mark's misfortune to tease him mercilessly.

So when the table turns, and he *wants* to do it, she's shocked.

Chapter 8

This is fantastic! I much prefer the child to be interested and wanting the transformation even if they don't have a clue what all the consequences are going to be. Most children do not have a clue what the consequences are to most of their decisions. This will certainly clue Marcie in and force her/him to grow up a lot. I think that this is going to be a classic tale in TG literature. And if the character development continues on at the same pace, with proper crisis and human emotions and motivations taken into consideration then I think that prediction will stand. There is a great blend of situational humor, the wind of chance and silliness and goofiness, that is treated in serious way with serious potential consequences for Marcie and the adults around her.

I for one am looking forward to many more installments. Did you say there are eighty more or was it one hundred? And already all written, that is exciting.

Kristi Lynne

Kristi Lynne Fitzpatrick

Thanks. That's the nicest

Thanks. That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said about my writing. There are 54 chapters to Rules Are Rules, and 46 to its sequel. I've started sketching out a third Marcie adventure, but haven't started writing.

I hope you continue to like it.

I always like the longer ones

I loved hearing that Rules are Rules is going to be a good long story. I like it when you take the time and space to really develop the characters and story line. Thanks!

Well this is a twist

That great, (s)he wants to do it. It does seem like the joke is turned. Only it seems more like a sudden insight into ones self. The way this is going Mom will difinity find out when when her daughter comes home if not before. So fun write more.

----------
Jenna

Good Job so far

The story is good so far just not enough. I know i am different. Before the glasses I read the LoTR trilogy in a week. I am a voracious reader when something interest me. How about doing two or three chapters a post.

Love,

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

teeny, eeny, itsy bittsy,

I only have one tiny little eensy teensy issue. To me, it seemed like the 'switch' in Mark's head was a bit ebrupt. One minute he is fighting to get out of going to school in dresses, and then next, Marcie is eager to try on and showcase a dress.... imho, it would take a bit more of a struggle.

Don't get me wrong, Kaleigh, I am enjoying the story immenssly. I don't mind the short chapters, I don't have a lot of time to spend on reading long chapters every day. I like the diversity of the characters, Aunt Jane reminds me a bit of Auntie Mame, (an old movie from the 60's). and I hope you get a bit more into Marcie's head in future chapters.

Can't wait for the next couple of installments.

A.A.

Truly a change of pace.

Okay, so I decided I need to comment on this at this time, and not in chapters 1-7. The reason I want to do it here is because up until the last line in chapter seven, Mark's thought processes were clearly defined and following a straight path. Although I knew that this story was heading in this general direction, the actual moment that Mark changes his mind (the end of chapter 7) is in stark contrast to all the feelings and emotions that we, the reader, receive up until that point.

I like your style of writing, it flows an works well, but I must say you suddenly took the literary equivalent of a 100 car coal train doing eighty, changing direction in less than five seconds. Now you might say to yourself that this is a bit of an impossibility, and I agree, which is exactly how I felt when I smashed into that brick wall that was the last line of chapter 7.

Now here in Chapter 8, it's like everyone is suddenly, repenting and claiming they were teasing. I thought none of it while reading chapter 07 or earlier. Mark felt mortified, angry and kept talking about getting a haircut. This change of momentum sits in start contrast to everything before it.

You had the premise, nutty aunt, clueless school administrators who had time only to bark orders and not to listen to students, plus everyone else coming into the picture kept adding to it. Mark could have easily been "made" to go to school as a girl and THEN started to enjoy it, with the obligatory "cutting of teeth" so to speak.

Now, suddenly going from hate, humiliation, anger and resentment of everyone involved, to suddenly plotting, planning and ready to go into it even while the former goading masses are retracting their previous statements and offering up reasons NOT to, left me wondering if you were chomping at the bit to get to the "Juicy" parts, the real meat of your idea as it were.

I think you could have spent at least one chapter with all the people convincing him, more than they had. They did not seem like they were doing a good job before, but suddenly Mark jumps into it with a brainwashed zeal that most Religious orders would love to learn how to pull off that quickly.

I hope that despite all i have said, you continue to write. As I mentioned, mid tirade, you have a good flow that I wish most times I could manage to duplicate.

Ally Kat


"If there are any Psychics in the room, Please raise My hand." - Emo Philips, Comedian

ReL Truly a change of pace

I am in total agreement with Ally Kat's comment here, the change in the previous chapter came from so far out in left field that it was completely outside the solar system. Her remark about a 100 car coal train doing 80 mph, then changing direction so drastically in such a short time, had me thinking that the story was literally going off the rails, the change was just that abrupt.

I also agree that having Mark continue to go to school as Marcie, without the change in his attitude, and eventually coming to enjoy it, would have made much more sense in the long run. The "nutty aunt" and "clueless school administrators" would add to the realism.

I actually commented on the previous chapter, saying that the whole change in his attitude felt contrived to me, in no way realistic.