Rules Are Rules: 48. Lying To A Psychic

Printer-friendly version

It looked like I'd have to be Marcie-who-used-to-be-Mark, which did not look like a good option, especially as a way to get to know people. "Hi, I'm Marcie. I used to be Mark, but you know... I liked dresses better."

Rules Are Rules

48. Lying To A Psychic

 


Part 48
 

After talking to my dad, I felt pretty nervous. I'd been thinking of the move as a new start, where I'd be Marcie as if I'd always been Marcie. Now, it looked like I'd have to be Marcie-who-used-to-be-Mark, which did not look like a good option, especially as a way to get to know people. "Hi, I'm Marcie. I used to be Mark, but you know... I liked dresses better."

I was determined to work out a good story: one that left me as Marcie from the very beginning, one in which Mark either never existed or was somebody else (not me!). I took out a piece of paper and began a list of all the questions that needed to be answered:

  • Where did Marcie come from?
  • Where did Mark go?

Then I stopped. Was that all? What else was there? There had to be something else. I thought about the picture in my father's office. That was really the only problem. Could he say that he put up the wrong picture? That it wasn't his family? That the kid, Mark, was a cousin of mine, or something?

I sighed. If he only hadn't put up the picture, there wouldn't be anything to explain.

No, that wasn't true. His co-workers probably asked about his family. They didn't just go by the picture! Wife? Kids? Those are normal questions.

Plus, there are my relatives. Most of them are on the West coast: California, Washington, and an uncle in Texas. They'd be far away from New Jersey, but they would have to be told. Sooner or later. How could they not know? What could we say? (Oh, yes! We thought Mark was a boy, but turns out he was a girl all along! Never thought to look! Neither did the doctors! It's the damndest thing!)

I wished there was someone who could help me. There were so many people I *couldn't* ask: Eden, Carla, Jerry, Cassie, Mr. Bryant.

My aunt isn't home right now, but she'd probably have some ideas. At least she'd have the adult perspective. Was there anyone else? Maybe Alice or Denise?

Then it hit me: Mrs. Earshon, the psychic! She might be able to tell me how things were going to work out, even if she didn't have the answers.

I dug out her number and gave her a call.

She said hello, and yes, she remembered me...

She seemed a little cool and distant, almost formal, as if she didn't want to talk to me.

Still, she didn't hang up.

I told her when I was moving, and asked if I could come for another reading, but she replied that it was too soon.

I asked what she meant, and she said, "It's just too soon," and left it there.

Before the call, I planned on explaining to her the whole Mark and Marcie business, but now, with her acting so weird, I was sure I didn't want to.

It was puzzling and frustrating, and I was getting a little angry. She was the one who wanted to meet me, in the first place. I didn't go seeking her out. She was the one who was curious about my life and wanted to see what her cards said about me. Now that the shoe was on the other foot, she didn't want to know me? What was that about?

Still, I had to be careful with what I said, because there was something else I needed from her: more tea. I wanted to know where to get it.

She told me I could buy it through the internet. She gave me the name of the tea and the website. I had to ask her twice, so she ended up telling me the same thing three times total. She didn't sound impatient or angry or anything. She was just flat. It was disappointing. I had to do all the work in the conversation. All she did was respond to what I said with the shortest answers possible.

At the end, when I'd given up, when I was going to say goodbye, she said, "You know, that tea... you're supposed to stop drinking it when it starts to work."

"Oh, I know," I said. "I did stop. This is for a friend."

She sounded impatient when she said, "Marcie, don't forget that I'm psychic. It's not a joke. I know when people are lying, and I can tell that you're lying now. I just don't understand why."

"Why would I lie to you?" I asked her in a defensive tone. What did she want from me? She didn't want to talk to me, and now she was getting mean. I didn't have to take that from her. She wasn't my mother, after all. She had no right.

"You'd like to hide something," she said simply.

"I have nothing to hide," I told her.

"It almost sounds like you believe that," she countered.

I felt my anger grow like a flame. Now that I knew where to get the tea, I didn't need to be careful. So I told her, "I don't want to be rude, but why are you accusing me? What did I ever do to you? Are you mad at me because your reading didn't work? Because you couldn't figure me out?"

In a surprisingly calm voice, she said, "Can I ask you one thing? If I'm wrong, I'm very sorry, but I have a question for you: Are you really a boy? Or did you used to be a boy?"

I was stunned, and for a few moments I couldn't speak. Inside I was asking, How could she hit me there?

"Marcie? Marcie? Are you there?"

At last I said "yes" in a low croak.

"Yes what?"

"I was born a boy, but I'm changing into a girl."

"Ahh!" she said in a relieved tone. It almost sounded like a long, slow fart, or the air coming out of a balloon. "Thank goodness! Now I get it!"

"Please don't tell anyone."

"I won't, hon." Now her voice was warm and confidential. "They wouldn't believe me anyway. So, did the tea do anything for you? I guess it must have, or you wouldn't want more."

I told her what happened. As I talked, she gasped and chuckled.

"My doctor doesn't believe it. He says it couldn't be the tea."

She laughed happily. "Well of course he wouldn't believe it."

Now she was relaxed and ready to talk. It was like a dam had broken; now the water could flow. This was the Brenda Earshon that I'd been hoping to talk to!

"Tell me," she asked. "Are you nervous about the move? I get the feeling that you're afraid of being exposed."

I told her about my father, about the photo in his office, and about my new school.

"Oh, don't you worry about any of that!" she said. "It isn't going to come to anything. Your parents are watching out for you. You have to be ready for a few unpleasant experiences, but nothing bad. Just normal life. The only thing — the only person — you have to worry about is a girl near you —"

"In New Jersey?"

"Yes, in your class, a girl your age, a girl in your class, in your school in New Jersey. Anyway, I didn't mean worry. You shouldn't worry, because your only defense is to be *open*. You have to try to be the best friend you can be. That's what you need to remember, okay?"

"I guess. Brenda, when I'm there, can I call you?"

"Uh," she hesitated. "You know... you have to understand... that this is my livelihood. This is what I do for a living. Do you know what I'm talking about?"

She paused for a moment, then said, "Why don't you give me a call after you're settled. I mean really settled.

"This is what I want you to do: When you're in your new house, after everything is unpacked and put away, after all the dust has settled, and you're all moved in, you're going to have a special moment. The first time you look around your room and feel that everything's in place, then you can call me. Not a moment sooner. And we can talk about how it could work."

"How what could work?"

"Your calling me. Like I said, I do this for a living. Even my friends have to pay."

I smiled. "Are you saying I'm one of your friends?"

"Oh, aren't you the clever one," she laughed. I heard a doorbell in the background behind her. She said, "Listen, I have to go. Remember what I said: don't worry, be OPEN, be the best friend you can be. Call me when you're really, truly settled, and we'll make arrangements. Now I have to go."

Her doorbell rang again, and she hung up.

up
207 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Intriguing!

Very interesting, Kayleigh. Who can this mysterious girl be?

Och weel, Hen, I'll juist hae tae wait an’ see.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

I could tell you her name...

I could tell you her name, but it would give something away.

Anyway, that's the sequel. Coming soon. Only SIX more chapters of Rules Are Rules,
and then Marcie is off to the salt mines of New Jersey.

Kaleigh

Is that a Celtic or Welsh sense of humor?

Gwen My, what a wonderful, grand, and glorious sense of humor you have! The one liners make me giggle so much, it almost frightens off the aparitions in my apartment.
Gwen Brown

Putting on my Nancy Drew hat...

Aha! By not telling us her name, you're actually telling us something.
(No, Ned, you can't come in. I'm busy writing here!)

So clearly, if we heard her name it would give away part of the plot.
(Ned, I told you I'm busy. Can't you find something else to do?)

My first impression would be to guess that the name of the mystery girl is Juliette, but you've said that you completed this story a long time ago, and you only started Chapters recently.
(Sure, Ned, you can order a pizza. But maybe it would be fresher if you went to pick it up instead of having it delivered.)

And besides, Juliette lives in Massachusetts, not New Jersey.
(There's some money in Daddy's desk. Just take it and go.)

So it must be some other name that has meaning.
(I know his study is locked. Just slip a newspaper under the door and push the key out. Have you learned nothing from being my sidekick?)

Looking back through the earlier chapters of this story, the most significant name is obvious.
(I said sidekick, not psychic. Listening through doors is another one of those skills you should have picked up.)

I predict that Marcie's new friend will be none other than her cousin Marcie Graylen.
(I know you're a boyfriend, not a sidekick. I promise I'll give you our usual chaste kiss after I finish this. Now go get our dinner.)

Aunt Jane did suggest that they go for a drive to meet the Graylens back in Chapter 3, but they never did.
(George, I think Ned is starting to suspect something.)

Jane's an occasional scatterbrain, which would explain why she thought they were still within driving distance when they're actually across the country.
(I didn't mean you had to stop...)

Interesting Guess...

My first thought was that someone from her present class would be going there, either coincidentally (probably absurd in a serious story but not inconsistent with one like this) or by following Marcie out.

If it does turn out to be the other Marcie, I doubt that Jane has it wrong; I think something will come up (both parents hospitalized after an accident?) that forces Marcie G to move in with Mark's family. (And they thought the apartment was crowded already...)

I'd forgotten, back when Mark was thinking about passing himself off in New Jersey as a cousin named Marcie, that there actually was one he could impersonate. That doesn't seem to be the plan right now, but I can think of several ways that the existence of another Marcie in the extended family could confuse the issue even if she doesn't make the trip.

Eric

Still going great!

I look forward to this every morning!
Hugs
Diana

My Morning Fix

This has become a habit, and it's all due to YOU! I make breakfast, tea & coffee. log-in and then read your next instalment. What a wonderful way to start a day! Thanks for such an addictive story.

Is Marcie Brenda's Friend?

Very interesting chapter. Brenda is one very cool character for Marcie to confide in. You have through her given us very vague hints at what just might or might not happen to Marcie. Personally, I want to see more of Marcie saving the day once again and causing an uproar at her new school. It just wouldn't be the same if she stopped being "MAD MARCIE".
Brenda did not answer Marcie's question. Now you have the rest of us wondering as well. Will Brenda call Marcie if she has a vision of Marcie in danger? Will Marcie ever meet Chapters? Thanks for such a wonderful romp into high school misadventures.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The psychic

Well the psychic wasn't infallible after all. She didn't see the future right, for she had said that she did not see a move in her future. Now she is saying she is moving and where and what friends she is going to have.

OK! So she will go to a school that could be highly prejudice and possible danger, plus exposure. Obviously it will happen since the psychic said there will be good and bad days.

So does this mean after all this, she will be in a catholic school for girls? That gives me the shivers from things I heard from others who went to such schools. I do so hope Marcie survives.

hugs
Joni W

Enticing

Enticing.

So very enticing. I love the way that the psychic, Ms Earshon,
is leading us into Marci’s future. It builds the anticipation for
the rest of the story so nicely. So very enjoyable that all I
can say, is ‘go ahead Kaleigh, lead the way.'

Sarah Lynn

Sure doesn't look like any ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... reprieve from moving to NJ. I AM going to miss Eden and the rest. When she gets to "Joisey", will Marcie start listening to The Boss and get Big Hair ???

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

rules are rules

A Catholic school for girls. Is that like a covenant school? It doesnt sound like a place that would be at all friendly to a transexual girl. jerry loves the uniform lol. But i am worried about marcie being there.

Catholic Girls' School

This is a situation where differences in UK and US usage are relevant.

What are known as state schools in the UK are known as public schools in the US. Public education in the US is primarily a local matter. Federal and state funding along with rules and regulations do have some impact. Still, the local school board is in charge.

For a number of reasons, parents may elect to send their children to schools outside the public system. Many Catholic parochial schools have good reputations for order, discipline, and learning. The school Marcie seems headed towards is non-residential and girls only. The teaching staff is probably a mix of religious types and secular individuals. The Principal (head master/mistress) is almost certainly a religious type.

Public education in the US, at all levels, tends to be sexually integrated. Federal statutes put significant pressure on to treat people in an even handed manner.

G/R

re: Rules Are Rules: 48

What a fascinating character! She definitely stands out in my mind as being one of the uniquely differentiating factors in this story.