Rules Are Rules: 47. A Little Father-Daughter Talk

Printer-friendly version

"I never realized that when I show up as Marcie, you'll have to explain..."

"Well..." Dad said, in a noncommittal way.

"What are you going to say?"

Rules Are Rules

47. A Little Father-Daughter Talk

 


Part 47
 

After telling Jerry about the move, I went home and called my dad.

My hands were shaking a little bit, but I had to do it before I lost my nerve.

"How did the name change go?" Dad asked.

"Fine. It was pretty easy." I gave him a quick version of the day. "So, now I'm Marcella Antoinette Donner," I concluded.

"Oh," he laughed. "Your mother finally got that name in there! Did she tell you the story? That before you were born she wanted to call you Antoine? — or Antoinette?"

"Yeah, she did," I said. "And you wanted to call me Rusty?"

"Yes," he said. "It's a good, strong name. I thought it was a great name for a boy. I still think so."

"Oh, Dad! It's a good name for a dog!"

"That's what your mother said," he replied. "But a friend of mine, in the Navy, one of the best friends I ever had, his name was Rusty."

"And this guy... he had red hair, right?"

"He did, yes, he did have red hair."

"Oh, Dad! It was just a nickname! His real name was probably Clarence or something," I laughed.

"I liked it," he said simply. "I knew it was a nickname. Anyway, at this point it's all moot anyway."

"I guess," I agreed.

"So what's on your mind?" he asked after a little pause.

"How do you know something's on my mind?"

"This is the first time you've ever called me," he said. "Usually it's me or your mother who calls you. Did your mother give you any news?"

"You mean about the move? Yes, she told me. We'll all be in New Jersey soon. Yay!" I said, ending with a bit of fake enthusiasm.

"Right," he said. "I'm looking forward to it. But listen, you have to prepare... mentally. This is a very small apartment. We'll be a little tight here, but at least we'll all be together. We've never lived under such cramped conditions, so there will be some adjustments. There's only one bathroom."

"Uh-huh. I can deal with it."

"You say so now," he joked. "We'll see!"

I paused, feeling very awkward. My father yawned, then apologized.

"Dad?" I leaped right into it. "The real reason I'm calling is that I wanted to say thanks."

"Oh, you're welcome," he said. "What are you thanking me for?"

"For everything."

"It's okay," he said. "Don't worry about it. I'm not really sure what you're thanking me for, but it's okay."

I felt so totally inadequate. It was frightening. I could handle something being weird or hard for me, but thinking that I'd made things difficult for my father... at his job... that was too much to handle.

That picture in his office, I knew just which one it was... he always said it was his favorite. Someone had snapped a picture of the three of us at my cousin's wedding. We were outside, and the three of us were smiling at each other, unaware of the photographer. It was a perfect picture, a good likeness of each of us... everybody happy...

"Um, Mom told me that you have a family picture in your office and that the people you work with ask about me — about Mark, I mean."

He was silent for a moment. Then he said, "People ask about each other's families all the time."

"Yeah, but I never realized that when I show up as Marcie, you'll have to explain..."

"Well..." he said, in a noncommittal way.

"What are you going to say?"

"What do you think I should say?" he gently countered.

"Maybe I could be a child of a former marriage?"

He scoffed. "Your mother and I have never been married before, and anyway the numbers don't work. We'd have to be married after you were born, right? Besides, then people would ask about our exes."

I couldn't quite work all that out, so I took a different tack.

"Could I be adopted, or the child of a cousin or something?"

He drew a breath. "I don't think I could pretend that you're not my child. I'm sure your mother couldn't. And even if we did say that, what happened to Mark?"

"He stayed in California."

"You mean we abandoned him?"

"No — He just liked California and stayed."

"That's not a very good story, Marcie." His tone was very quiet and gentle.

"Sorry. I'm just trying to help."

"I know you are. And I appreciate it, but if we're going to make up a story, it has to make sense and hold together. We can talk about it once you and your mother get here. Honestly though, I don't see a way around telling the truth."

I didn't know what to say.

"Try not to worry. I can take a little flack. And we'll talk about it." He sounded a little tired. I remembered the time change; that it was later for him than it was for me.

Then I started thinking: if the people he worked with knew about Mark, it might eventually get to someone in school. I mean, people know people, and this is exactly the kind of story that people would want to tell. I felt the panic creeping up my spine.

"Dad," I said. "If one person knows, then everybody could know. My school could find out."

"I know," he said. "We've thought about that. If I tell at work, we have to tell your school too. Maybe we'd have to tell them first."

A chill ran through me.

"We'll talk about it when you get here," he repeated. "And I want the school to meet you first, before we potentially tell them."

"Potentially?" I repeated. "Does that mean we might not tell?"

He hesitated. "We'll talk about it when you get here, okay?"

up
196 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cramped quarters huh...

... Sounds like more than a little adjustments. And, wow, what an understanding dad! He's unbelievable! Let's see when he gets to see his daughter. Or does he?

Nice that she's thinking of others now, even if the thinking isn't working well.

In Brief...

This seems like the shortest chapter yet.

You're just going to have to write them more often now!

re: Rules Are Rules: 47

Marcie's beginning to act more and more human in this story... actually using words and initiating conversations and everything! :p

Well, it looks like things will move to the new school then. This chapter basically highlighted all the problems that could crop up, and yes, there are a lot. I'm sure there will end up being tons of chaos there as well.

New School?

I'm reaching the opposite conclusion from Evalyn here. Between the cramped apartment and the possibility that there's no good answer to the school situation -- if they tell, she may be excluded and if they don't, she's likely to be outed because of the work situation -- the logical answer may well be to hold off and let her stay in California until the new house and school become available next term.

Eric

Missed a part.

>> After telling Jerry.

It seems we missed a apart I was anticipating.
I guess, like Marci, we see what time an Kaleigh
will bring us with tomorrow's sunrise.

sarah lynn.

It Is So Sweet That Marcie Called Her Daddy

She has matured quite a bit from the trouble magnet into a swet, caring young woman. It seems as if she is finally listening to others. But how long will it be before she is again saving the day?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

A possible story for the new school

Hello Kaliegh ^____^ ;-D

Here is a possible excuse for the school. The appendix operation. Just tell the truth. The doctors botched it up and now has to live as a girl. Comma, period, end of argument. Of course that is the easy answer, I am sure Marcie will make it a bit more complicated. Great story Kaliegh. Yes, I missed the telling of the move to Jerry, Cassie and Nina and their family. I am sure it would be a tear jerker with plenty of tissues. sniff, sniff....

Rachel

Sweetining the deal.

Gwen You know that they could do the "testicular cancer deal"? I've actually heard of a few incidents, and those who survived went on to live as women. Not so far fetched. After all, it was not her fault that some internist took out 'is gonies. A mistake like this is worth millions of dollars in spite of the fact that they had "signed papers".

Yeah, I'd blatantly lie and say that my child had testicular cancer and is now a girl. It would save so much pain in the long run.
Gwen Brown

i like the dad now

WOW he is an understanding dad. This is quit an improvement from the screaming loon Kaliegh introduced us to in previous chapters. I have to say i like him now. Thank you for making the dad understanding. wish they all were like this.

Carla, Eden, Cassie, Nina, and Jerry, they ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... are the first friends Marcie made ... ever. Even though intellectually she always knew she was leaving end of term, I would think she would be more attached to them emoptionally. She just seems to be shrugging and going, "Oh, well." She is maturing, though, so maybe she's putting others before self and leaving all that bottled up - which could mean an explosion and unwise decisions later; she's maturing, but she's still a teenager :-)

Nice "Daddy" chapter.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

rules are rules 47

still verry good and i still love this just dont stop as it is a verry good n geting hot just the way i like my woman spicy,whildchild

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

What about Jerry?

Gwen She kissed the guy and went out with him, and now all he gets is "I told Jerry"? Shame on you girl. : )
Gwen Brown

time to step out?

looks like she's going to have no choice but be open about her status.

DogSig.png