Rules Are Rules: 46. My First Period

Printer-friendly version

"You sound a little sad," Cassie said brightly. "What's wrong?"

"If I tell you, you'll just tease me," I replied, "Besides, I want to tell Jerry first."

"Oh my god," she said breathlessly. "You're not pregnant, are you?"

Rules Are Rules

46. My First Period

 


Part 46
 

"Now I have a question for you," Mom said. "How come you haven't asked anything about the new house and the new town?"

"Um," was all I could say for a moment. It was a good question. I didn't even know where it was on the map.

"I guess I was used to it being up in the air. Aunt Jane said we had to wait for the closing, whatever that is. Is it sure for certain that we're going to get that house? And why does it take so long?"

"Buying a house isn't like buying a pair of shoes, or even like buying a car. There's a lot involved."

"So, could it still fall through?"

"I suppose it could, but it would have to be something catastrophic. Theoretically, either party could pull out, or the title search could get complicated, but at this point..." she trailed off.

"How long after the closing until we move in?"

"We can move in right after the closing. In fact, once we have a closing date, I'm going to schedule the movers to bring all our stuff out of storage into the new house, and we'll go over and start cleaning and painting..."

My face fell. "Cleaning? Isn't the house clean when you buy it?"

"Oh, my goodness," she said. "Face it, young lady. Cleaning is a part of life."

She told me about the town. It's called Flickerbridge, which is about as weird a name as "Blessed Yvette." While she talked, I started daydreaming. I thought about the school's name. The initials would be BYHS. That didn't sound so bad. I could tell people I was going to BYHS. That would be my school, at least for a month. I tried to picture myself in the uniform, and wondered how short the skirt could be.

"Mom, does BYHS have a dress code?"

"What? Oh, I'm sure it does. Why?"

I was still a little lost in thought. "When we get there, can you take a picture of me in the school uniform?"

She didn't answer me. Instead she narrowed her eyes and looked at me as closely as she could.

"Eyes on the road, Mom! Eyes on the road!" I cautioned.

"Who is this picture for?" she asked.

Then she got it. "Oh, no," she said. "No, no, no. You are not sending pictures of yourself to boys."

"Not boys," I protested. "Boy. Just Jerry. He asked for one."

"He asked for a picture of you in the school uniform?" I nodded. "Absolutely not. And that is final. When we leave in a few weeks, you will say your goodbye to Jerry."

"Why don't you like him?" I asked. "What do you have against him?"

"Nothing," she sighed. "He seems perfectly nice. In fact, I have to admit that I like him. He's a good catch; he seems like a keeper. If you were really and truly a girl, I'd be happy. His family is very nice... I like his mother."

"So what's the problem?"

"I'm so afraid of what could happen. Please promise me that you'll be careful — very, very careful, Marcie. Don't lead him on, and don't get carried away. Don't let him get carried away. Especially now that you're leaving."


The first thing I did when we got home was look at the calendar. I only had 18 days of school left, and only 29 days left in Tierson. Not even. What did I have left? Pat's Halloween party, the Veterans Day weekend, and Bye Bye Birdie. Maybe I could do something special with that long Veterans Day weekend. I'd have to think. I wanted to call Carla and Eden, but neither of them were home.

I called Jerry's house. Cassie answered and told me that Jerry was out somewhere with Pat. "They're out doing some dumb boy-thing," she said. "They're probably burping, rolling in mud, and punching each other on the arm. You know, the usual."

"I guess," I said.

"You sound a little sad," she said brightly. "What's wrong?"

"I'm down," I replied, "but if I tell you, you'll just tease me. Besides, I want to tell Jerry first."

"Oh my god," she said breathlessly. "You're not pregnant, are you?"

"No," I said scornfully.

"You sound like you're on your period," she said.

I sighed, and figured I might as well go with it. "Yes I am," I said. "So could you not tease me today?"

"Okay," she agreed (which surprised me!).

"I did want to talk to you about something," I said, then hesitated. "If I ask you a question, will you give me a straight answer?"

"Sure, but only today."

"Okay. I want to read, um, a fashion magazine, you know, um, a girls magazine, but I don't know which one to choose."

"Oh, yes," she replied. "Your tomboy past strikes again."

"I guess."

"Right now I read Cosmo. And Allure sometimes — they have good recommendations for makeup and moisturizers and stuff like that. You have to pick that up, at least every now and then, once you start wearing makeup.

"When I was your age, it was Seventeen. It's pretty subjective. One of my friends reads Redbook. She likes the short stories.

"You know what you should do? Try different ones until you find the one you like. You can't really tell from the covers or the contents. You have to live with it a little bit. One of them will click, like it's made for you. Anyway, it's not life-or-death and it's not like you can make a wrong choice. Just grab one and see if you like it.

"Nobody's going to laugh unless you're carrying Cosmo when you're dressed frumpy. But you don't dress frumpy."

"Oh, thanks." Cassie actually gave me a compliment!

"Hey, by the way," she said, "that was pretty cool, what you did — saving that little girl. I don't think I would have had the guts."

"Thanks, Cassie."

"No problem," she said. "Today, no teasing. In a day or two, merciless teasing, okay?"

"Okay," I said, smiling.


Cassie was so nice to me that I almost told her the news. But I held out until Tuesday lunch, when I could tell Carla and Eden at the same time.

"Whatcha got there?" Eden asked, turning her head sideways. "Redbook? My mom reads that."

"Yeah," I admitted. "I borrowed this one from my mother. I think it's too mature for me."

Carla scoffed. "Maybe you're too mature for it."

"I don't think so," I replied. "I just wanted to give it a try. I have to find the magazine that fits me."

"No you don't," Carla countered. "You don't need that stuff."

I shrugged, and then I dropped the bomb.

"Moving?" Eden cried. "Oh, it's not fair!"

"Wow, that's just around the corner," Carla observed. "You're gonna be gone in a flash."

Eden was crestfallen. I wondered whether she and Carla would continue to be friends after I was gone. They didn't really have anything in common except me. Come to think of it, though, I don't really have anything in common with either of them. We're just friends.

"So, are you gonna go to that girls school?" Carla asked.

"Oh, yeah. Listen to what it's called: Blessed Yvette High School for Girls."

"Blessed Yvette?" Eden repeated. "What kind of name is that?"

Carla laughed so hard she nearly choked on her food. "Oh, that is just too precious!" she howled as soon as she was able.

"Jerry wants a picture of me in the school uniform," I told them.

Eden's mouth dropped open in shock.

Carla shook her head. "Boys are pigs," she said. "Are you going to send it to him?"

I nodded, smiling. Eden laughed.

I added, "My mom told me I couldn't, though."

Carla shrugged. "Maybe she's right. Boys think those outfits are sexy. He might do nasty things with that photo."

"I dunno," I said, and took a sip of my water.

Eden asked, "Will you be here for Bye Bye Birdie?"

I nodded.

"At least you won't miss Pat's party this weekend," Carla noted. "So what did Jerry say when you told him?"

"I haven't told him yet," I replied. "I'm telling him after school. Can you guys keep it to yourselves until tomorrow?"

up
205 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

rules are rules 46

look out here she comes. still geting hot and still verry good more please, [email protected]

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

one unhappy boy ... who may at least get something ...

Thats all so sad. Jerry will be very sad about it. The school girl pic will help him remember Marcie but its still very sad.

Marcie pregnant?
Now that got me laughing. I just hope admitting to her period is not going to bite her in the butt soon, but I'm nearly certain it will ...

Marcie actually reading a fashion mag? She already is a tease to the boys it seems so beware boys.

The Marcie-Soap-Opera is taking a break it seems but I bet its just the quite before the storm. If she really leaves its going to be a with a big bang. Considering the past weeks one needs to fear that the universe itself is in danger for that one.

So all of you take cover and praise your tummy muscles.

Thanks for "Marcie" Kaleigh.

hugs

Holly

P.S.: I just got the paper for being admitted to the hospital where I will have my SRS. t -7 days for me
What will I do without Marcie in hospital ???

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

Now she has to keep a calendar...

... She's had her first "period"... So needs to be aware of when the next one is.

The question is how does the closing get mucked up... Or do we have to go through all the making of fiends thing again?

Not Really...

...if she's leaving in four weeks. Besides, the only one who got that "news" was Cassie. She's presumably not going to tell Jerry about it, and since she's not the same age as Marcie and her female friends, there's no reason that she'd be talking to Eden or the others about it.

Even if she doesn't move to New Jersey, if Cassie asks about it next month Marcie could tell her what amounts to the truth -- that she lied about it because she wasn't up for the usual teasing that day. (But where's the story in that?)

Eric

Mad Marcie Indeed!!!

Yes, guys DO think School Girls Uniforms are sexy, especially with short skirts. Too bad Mom denies Marcie's wish. But when Marcie leaves, WHO will be there to save the day? Marcie sure has things stirred up around there. She will give Blessed Yvette's High School For Girl's a wake up call. I have no doubt that she will stand out even more at that school than at her current one.
Maybe she needs to wear a skirted leotard with "MM" emblazoned upon it for when she goes into action.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Girls' school uniforms

Stanman's right. I remember back in the fifties when I, like nearly all schoolgirls, had to wear a navy-blue box-pleated gym-tunic to school, that a number of blokes (often with dirty mackintoshes) used to hang abound outside the school if we were out in the playground, specially if we were playing netball. Although we all hated them I'm glad the school insisted we wore the regulation navy-blue passion-killers to keep us neat and decent underneath. We girls were well aware of what the dirty old men wanted, so, I am ashamed to admit, we used to give them a tantalising flash of our knickers from time to time. It worked quite well with dirty young boys too! Naughty, weren't we?

Hilary
(who at the age of 10 or 11 didn't know what "prick-teasing" was.

The Psychic stated

'She didn't see a move in her future' This could be bad in oh so many ways and so far she has predicted Marcie's future pretty accurately.

One way could mean that something happens to her parents. Another is that they cancel the move and they move into the area that they are presently in this school system. Or the discision is made to allow Marcie to stay with her aunt until she graduates school, for her aunt really enjoys having Marcie around. OR another catastrophy happens were her dad is killed, and her mom moves in with her aunt. The first and the last reasons are hopefully not the answer but it would uncomplicate Marcie's life. It is to grusome to think about.

The Psychic also stated that if Marcie stays Marcie, she will excel in her life. Not in those words, but if she chooses one path she will be ho-hum average, if she chooses another, she will excel to some sort of greatness. I asume that to becoming Marcie. It seems like the fates are conspiring to make a true woman out of Marcie, and the psychic also stated that she should come and see her at the end of December, which is after the period she would have left for New Jersey.

If I was her parents I would let her stay here for the schooling. I wouldn't want to go to school in New Jersey since it would be too crowded and you would just be some number student and not an individual.

For some reason, I don't think Marcie will be going to New Jersey. It wasn't in the cards, literly.

Great story telling Kaliegh.

Hugs
Joni W

re: Rules Are Rules: 46

Lol! When I saw the title I laughed. Flickerbridge is a neat name, too, incidentally. 29 days out... hmm. I have to wonder whether the story will end prior to that 'phase' of Marcie's life or not. It'd be a lot of work to suddenly create an entirely new setting... plus a lot of the conflict of Marcie's transition would be a moot point at that juncture. Well, it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Come on Mom !

Gwen It looks like Mom still has some adjusting to do.

"Nothing," she sighed. "He seems perfectly nice. In fact, I have to admit that I like him. He's a good catch; he seems like a keeper. If you were really and truly a girl, I'd be happy. His family is very nice... I like his mother."

Not really and truely a girl?

I just had to read some of these lines to myself outloud. They felt so real.

Gwen Brown

I think mom is just ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... thinking physically.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

"Boys are pigs,"

giggles

DogSig.png