Rules Are Rules: 28. Suspension And Confusion

Printer-friendly version

"Do you want to start again?" I asked.

"No, no. Let's just... Okay. Here's what we'll do. I'm going to tell you what I see and hope it makes sense to you, because it doesn't make any sense to me. Okay?"


Rules Are Rules


28. Suspension And Confusion

copyright © 2006, 2007 Kaleigh Way — All Rights Reserved

 

Tuesday morning I tried to sleep late, but I'd been getting up early for so long that I couldn't keep my eyes closed. My aunt was already at work, so I was home alone with nothing to do. I didn't want to think about it, but I remembered what Mrs. Wilson had said: "If you suddenly find yourself with a lot of time and nothing to do..."

For some reason, I was a little miffed. I felt manipulated, as though someone had backed me into a corner. I know it doesn't make sense, but it seemed like Mrs. Earshon was rearranging my schedule. I wanted to be mad at somebody, but I liked Mr. Bryant too much to be mad at him, and I couldn't be mad at Ms. Tandy or my aunt, or even Mrs. Wilson. So, I was mad at Mrs. Earshon.

At the same time, I had absolutely nothing to do, so I called Mrs. Wilson, who practically jumped out of her skin for happiness. An hour later she drove up with the twins strapped into their car seats. Both boys were wiggling and struggling to get out, straining to grab anything in reach.

"They must be a handful," I said. "I mean, they're really cute..."

"Oh, tell me about it," she said. "They're my joy and my dispartation."

Dispart... Disper... Desperation! I thought, but I kept it to myself. I had the feeling that if I didn't correct it right away, the wrong word would get stuck in my head and I'd end up saying it that way myself.

She dropped me in front of an ordinary suburban house, told me when she'd come to fetch me, and drove off. I stood on the sidewalk, feeling as I'd been abandoned. I wasn't scared, but I didn't want to go inside. Once again, there was nothing else to do. So I walked up to the door and rang the bell.

In spite of my misgivings, I liked Mrs. Earshon right away. She insisted I call her Brenda. She was an inch or so taller than me, with curly brown hair, brown eyes, and a nice smile. She had a nice figure, but her hips were wide, as if she'd had a child or two. She brought me inside and looked me up and down. The first thing she said was, "How old are you?"

"Thirteen."

"Hmm. And you're flat, aren't you? This is all padding, right?" She didn't poke my little fake breasts, but she didn't seem to need to.

I was embarrassed. Was it that obvious?

"I don't know how you usually look," she replied, "Maybe today you weren't as careful as usual. I have something that can help. Some girls just need a little kickstart." Then she turned and walked to her dining room. I followed.

She shuffled a deck of tarot cards, and had me cut them. Then she dealt them out, face up, and studied the result. She was smiling a little as she arranged the cards, but then she frowned slightly. She pointed at one card and another, and her lips moved, was if she was trying to do difficult sums in her head. Her frown deepened.

I'd never been to a psychic before, so I thought this was how it always worked. I waited in silence as she frowned and rubbed her chin. I guess there were about twelve or fourteen cards on the table, each with a strange and interesting picture.

She cleared her throat and said, "Do you mind if we start again? This uh, ..., well, let's just start again." After another shuffle and cut, Mrs. Earshon dealt out the cards. Again, it was a dozen cards or so, arranged in the same pattern as before.

She blinked a few times, and held her breath. She put her chin in her hands and stared at the cards in silence. I don't know the tarot deck, but it looked like a lot of the same cards had come up again.

"Is it something bad?" I asked.

"Uh, no," she replied, hesitantly. "It's not... uh, ''bad'', it's just..." She sighed, and frowned, wrinkling her forehead.

"Listen, I have to tell you the truth — I've been doing this a long time, but this just stumps me. It's pretty much the same as the first layout... different cards, but similar... Hmm..."

"Do you want to start again?" I asked.

"No, no. Let's just..." She found the card layout so confusing, she was at a loss as to what to say.

"Okay. Here's what we'll do. I'm going to tell you what I see and hope it makes sense to you, because it doesn't make any sense to me. Okay?"

I shrugged, so she began.

"Okay. What's weird about this is that almost every card appears with its opposite. It's like you're two people, or you have a secret life or something. But you're too young for something like that!

"And here — this is not even you — this is somebody near you, close to you, who is young and old at the same time. They need your help. This is an old person who seems young or a young person who seems old. Does that make sense?"

"No," I said, genuinely puzzled.

"Not old-old," she said. "Just older than you, like twenties or early thirties."

Again, I shrugged.

She studied the cards a bit more. "Here's another weird one, and... okay, I'll tell you, but don't get all worried about this. Here is an older man — NOT your father, but a father figure — and see this card over him?" The card was Death, a skeleton in a black robe, holding a scythe. "Now that doesn't necessarily mean that someone's going to die, but it's a big change, and in this case not a good one. This is somebody near, but not someone you're close to." She licked her lips and looked at me. "Does that make any sense? Is there someone physically close, who's like a father figure, but not emotionally close?"

I was about to say "Mr Bryant, my principal," but before I did, she added, "He has dark hair."

"No," I said. "If you hadn't added the dark hair, I would have said yes."

"Well," Brenda said, a little put out, "This guy has dark hair." She sighed and looked over the cards some more.

"Okay, moving on, then. See this card here? It says you're going to be famous. But this card here says you won't. And they way they go together, it's like — I don't know — like — I know this sounds crazy, but — it's like your shadow breaks off and becomes famous, but you stay the same. Does that make any sense?"

"Maybe," I shrugged. It didn't really make any sense at all — nothing had, so far, but I was beginning to feel badly for Mrs. Earshon. After all, if she knew I was really a boy, she might have been able to make sense of things. Still, a secret is a secret, and a secret's to be kept.

"Okay," she said. "Some things are pretty clear, though. Like, uh, no enemies, no big problems, you're surrounded by friends and supportive family, which is great. I don't see anything about money or health, so I have to assume they're not issues."

She tapped on one card with her forefinger and said, "This card in this position is key. It's the central theme. In your case the theme is change, transformation. I guess that could be puberty, but when the card is in this position it means that your puberty is a greater unfolding and transformation than it is for most people."

"Well, that makes sense," I said. I felt like I had to throw her a bone.

"It does?" she asked, unconvinced. "These other cards... I'm not even going to say. It's like... This is in the weeks ahead... like an accident that's not a mistake, or... oh, I give up." She scratched her head. "I've never had so much trouble doing a reading. Do you mind if we run a quick verification? It's just a four-card thing."

"Sure," I said, and after another shuffle and cut, she dealt out four cards. I recognized two of them.

She sighed and scooped them up. "It's the same thing all over," she said, frowning. "Opposites, contradictions... you're not on your period or sick or something, are you?"

"No."

"And you don't take drugs or anything like that?"

"Nope."

Again, I almost opened my mouth to tell her, but I stopped myself again. I had to remember: I didn't know this woman, really. How could I trust her? She might know someone connected to the school, and one loose word from her could end everything.

She clutched the cards and puzzled over the situation. "Well, it's almost time for you to go. Will you do me a favor? Will you come back — in the middle of January or so — will you come back for another reading?"

"I can't," I replied. "I'm going to move to New Jersey around Christmas."

"You are!?" she was genuinely shocked. "I didn't see that. Are you sure?"

"Pretty sure."

"All right," Brenda said. She was clearly flustered. "I don't mind admitting when I'm stumped. It doesn't happen very often. Marcie, you're just a complete puzzle to me. Listen, then: if you're still here in the middle of December, will you come back? Before you move? I'll give you the reading for free. And tell Mrs. Wilson she doesn't owe me for this one. I can't take money if I can't tell you anything."

At that, we saw Mrs. Wilson's car pull up outside. "Oh!" she said, suddenly remembering, "I've got something for you! Go wave to her, so she knows you're coming, but don't leave just yet."

Mrs. Earshon ran to her kitchen, while I opened the front door and waved. Then she bustled up and in a confidential way handed me a small brown bag, the kind that coffee comes in.

"This is an herbal tea. One good tablespoon in a big mug. Pour in boiling water and cover for 15 minutes. Drink it once a day for ten days. Okay? Now run!"


When I got home, I opened the bag. It held a mixture of crumpled leaves and tiny sticks. I was pretty suspicious, but it smelled good, so I brewed a cup. The tea smelled even better than the dry mixture. I took a tiny sip, and liked it. I drank a slightly bigger sip, and then another, and soon the cup was empty. After a couple of minutes, I felt warm all over and suddenly had a lot of energy. So put on the music Eden had given me, and ran through our dance routine a couple of times. Then I had lunch, straightened up the kitchen, and cleaned my room. When I finished my room, I did my homework. That took me to three o'clock. Time to leave for my appointment with Mr. Marks!

Before I left, I hid the tea in my room. I liked it, and didn't want my aunt drinking it up or throwing it out by mistake.

up
214 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yay!

A brand new chapter in my favorite series. Well, one of my favorite series anyway :P

The visit to the psychotic (or whatever) woman didn't end as bad as I feared, but I do have suspicions regarding that tea.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Hot tea anyone?

This chapter was so good, Kaleigh. I feel silly with anticipation.

Wonderful feeling, and a wonderful story. Thank you

Sarah Lynn

P.s. Since it's the weekend, do you think you could post another
this evening?? Sort of like opening one present early?

Tea for two?

Angharad's picture

I suggest we know what's in the tea, phytogens, which in real life don't do much at all, but in fiction....wow!.

Angharad

Angharad

10 days?

Even if it was supposed to work - is a 10 day supply going to do much, except in fiction? :-)

It's amaizing how things work out in the fictional world... Sometimes everything works out 'just so'. Almost as if the author planned it that way. :-)

Ten days to a more bustier you!

Not even Marcie Donner can get there in ten days.

Twenty, maybe.

But ten is stretching credulity way past the limit.

(tee hee)

Kaleigh

Ten days to a bustier you...

I had a bra that promised something like that once... of course, it was more like "$50 to a bustier you..."
Lies, all lies! It went away every time I took it off!!
Michelle

It makes me think about…

…those adverts I used to see in—was it the New Yorker—about 40 years ago?

I dreamed I was in Grand Central Station in my Maidenform Bra!

Ah, nostalgia can be soooo sweet!

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Tea??

Tea with Lupron in it...

TGSine --958

Tea for me or you.

Angharad,
Dear actually some (a very few) can have some affects from teas and various natural estrogenic compounds. Naturally they have to be messed up hormonally in the first place (sighs). However, as I perused in another comment, ‘this is fiction after all’.

Kaleigh,
You are related to Angharad aren’t you? Come on don’t welsh on me. Oi absolutely love the series keep up the great work hun.
Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Related to Angharad?

No, I'm Irish and she's Welsh. Can't you tell?

She is friends with Maddy Bell; I'm a big fan of the Gaby stories, so that could count for something... and I do like Angharad's writing.

Hands across the water and all that.

Kaleigh

you could always

Angharad's picture

spell Kaleigh the Gaelic way, ceilidh, or aren't you a party to it?

Angharad

Angharad

Phytogens

Angharad's picture

are natural plant sterols which can have a weak oestrogenic action, however, they can also be neutralised by oestrogens either naturally occurring or supplemented in some way. The tea could also contain weak anti-androgens such as saw palmetto, which inhibits testosterone being converted into dihydotestosterone which does nasty things to prostates, encourages balding and body hair!

Angharad

Angharad

A potion!

AhA.. Yes, yes I see. Hold on, I'll polish my crystal ball some more.. Hmm mm.. Oh my. The tangled webs we weave.. Uhoh..

Jo-Anne

The Mind Boggles…Again

Wowee! That was great. I'm not surprised poor Brenda became confused. Marcie looks to be a typical, if slightly underdeveloped teen girl, but the Tarot cards are reading her as a boy. Vairy Interestink! And the hormonal tea—a master touch (or should that be Mistress Touch?

So I suppose we shall soon see Marcie becoming BE-BOOBED! if there is such a word.

Another mind-boggling episode, Kayleigh.

Hugs,
Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

I respectfully differ ...

but I think the text clearly indicates she is multi-gendered as the reading seems to indicate she is like TWO people. In the Wiccan tradition, the idea of duality, being the master/mistress of both aspects of yourself is extremely powerful.

I am not endorsing the view of any one religion per-se but being 'dual spirited', shaman, if you will, endows one a more otherworldy aspect in many religions with the notable exception of the middle-eastern ones.

It should come as no surprise then that her life now has the potential of catalyzing change and she, likes it or not, is drawn to situations where she is needed. I dare her to be 'low profiled' under those circumstances.

As to what situations are coming up, only Madame Kaleigh :) knows.

Finally, it is only a 10 day supply of tea. I wonder about that too .... but all we are left is reading the tea leaves - sooo HURRY UP AND POST MORE ALREADY! You tease 9).

Thank you for a very fun and engaging story.

Kim

Kaleigh, nice story..

Maybe Mrs. Earshon is right 'somone will die'. I wonder if Mark will die, to become Marcie. I bet Mr. Mark will do tests on Masrcie, and maybe - just maybe -- (as I said before - the school should 'ANNOUNCE a meeting for the GSA club.'
I think about 5% of all kids -- in school have gender disorders -- I mean teens do not have the resources tell parents. (This drug Lupron might be great for teens to use if you are a TG)
I wonder what will happen soon with the trip to NJ? Maybe his parents will get transferred to CA.

TGSine --958

good

this was a very entertaining chapter. i highly enjoyed it.

God created the world ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... in six days and then he rested. Kaleigh changes Mark in ten days and then Marcie's breasted.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

The Tea

The tea could put something in her that affects her hormones so that when she hits puberty she goes through it a little... different. Like how it could be timed just right so that her pituitary gland is just about to start doing some major work here in the next 10 days so it sees these hormones and reproduces them.

Or something like that. I like that the Psychic was a real one!

Looking forward to tomorrow.

More, more!

Another great twist in another great chapter.

*Groan*

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

""herbal tea""

Yep, good thing she hid it. She wont want to loose that tea, will she?

lol lol lol
>i<

"Opposites, contradictions"

she doesn't know it, but she hit the nail on the head

DogSig.png