Somewhere Else Entirely -98-

Printer-friendly version

Edited version. Some final paragraphs moved to new chapter 99

As the party travels from Teldor to Dekarran they begin to pick up hints that all is not well but only when they reach Uncle Gil do they learn the truth. Garia settles in for a short stay before they have to cross the Sirrel once more.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

98 - Distant Drums


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2014 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Garia led Snep down the ferry ramp and up the slip to stand beside those who had already crossed. Enough men had preceded her to be able to make a fairly strong defensive perimeter while waiting for the bulk of their caravan to follow them. The cluster of men drew some odd looks from the line of wagons waiting to cross north into Teldor but that was expected, as were the sharp stares at the small girl in their midst, dressed for riding, with swords on her back.

"There, boy," she said. "We'll have to wait for the others and then we can ride all day. That's what you want, isn't it?"

Snep turned and nuzzled her arm. Garia stroked his neck in return.

"You're just an old softy, you know that?"

While she waited for the next ferry to arrive she looked west along the Telar valley, wondering if, at some future date, she might be able to explore that part of Palarand.

No such luck, I'm guessing. I'm going to be busy for a long time yet!

The following ferry brought Senidet, Lanilla and Jasinet, all as foot passengers. It dawned on Garia as she watched them gingerly regain dry land that for all three, this would likely have been their first experience of any water craft. She gave them a reassuring smile as they joined her at the top of the ramp.

"It just occurred to me, this is probably the first time any of you have been in a boat, am I right?"

Senidet, as the senior woman present, gave a thin smile.

"For myself, milady, it was a new experience, but not one that frightened me. The motion was... strange."

"Yes, well," Garia replied, "don't imagine that all boat trips are going to be like this one, will you? These ferries are built a particular way and other boats will move a lot differently." Garia turned to her junior maids. "What about you two? Any problems?"

Jasinet said, "It was a new experience, milady. It seemed little different than riding a wagon."

"Aye," agreed Lanilla. "I was not frightened, milady. But, there is so much water! I did not imagine there could be so much, or a river grown so large."

Garia grinned. "All rivers start off small and grow large, Lanilla. Wait until we get down to Dekarran and you have to cross the Sirrel! Then you'll find out what a large river looks like." She looked around. "What happened to Lady Merizel?"

"Milady," Senidet answered, "she was advised to wait another ferry as there would be too many frayen on the one we were on. I deem she will be with us shortly."

It took a while for all the wagons, dranahks, frayen, men and women to cross the Telar. Their caravan had grown to almost unmanageable proportions and she didn't envy Jaxen his job of overseeing the apparent chaos. It didn't help that there were now eight coal wagons and four others who had attached themselves to their own company for protection on the route south to Dekarran. Not that anything was likely to happen, given the large number of armed men - and one woman - who rode with the wagons.

In the carriage sat Senidet along with Jasinet and Lanilla. Jenet had accompanied her mistress across the river and Merizel, by chance, had crossed alongside Terinar. Now, everyone was on the south bank and Jaxen organized the caravan into some semblance of order before giving the signal to proceed. Feteran rode down the column of riders to speak to Garia.

"Now that you're riding again, milady," he said, "I must ask you to stay between the outriders. I'm not expecting trouble but we should not encourage bad habits."

"Trouble? Here? When we were up around Tranidor I could see the point but we're on the main road between Teldor and Dekarran! Who's likely to attack us here?"

"I agree, milady, but as I said, bad habits. They are easy to form and difficult to get rid of. This won't be the last time you'll be traveling like this."

"I hope not! Very well, Feteran. I'm just happy to be in a saddle again and away from endless meetings. I'll try not to make any waves."

They had spent two nights as guests of Count Jeldek at his residence in Teldor. The day between had consisted of a series of meetings with the guildsmen, merchants, bankers and townsmen of Teldor. Fortunately, given their proximity to Dekarran, those worthies were already educated about the coming mass changes in technology and society which meant that Garia didn't have to convince anyone that she was serious. On the other hand, the questions were more detailed and some covered aspects Garia had overlooked or had little or no knowledge of. It had taken some fast talking and some inspired guesses to keep everybody happy.

Now they were off to Dekarran and Garia hoped for a day or two of rest. The castle was huge but since her previous stay she had come to consider it as much a home as the palace was. The part she had stayed in was decently furnished, for one thing, and the food and routine were familiar to her.

"I can tell that look," Merizel said from beside her. "You're thinking again!"

"Hm? Oh, just about the castle. Dekarran, I mean. It's completely unlike those others we stayed in, isn't it? I kinda like it, somehow."

"Aye, I know what you mean. When I first heard about the castle, before we ever started north, I assumed it would be like coming to somewhere like Tranidor or Haligo. Those are the kind of castles I'm familiar with."

"Of course. Your family home is a castle, isn't it?"

"It's something between an overgrown fort and a very small castle, but, yes. Seeing that incredible pile as we rode up to it was something of a shock." Merizel smiled at the memories. "We had a lot of fun, didn't we? Moving rooms, that immense bed, dancing, creeping through those hidden passages with Milsy -"

"Getting kidnapped?"

Merizel scowled. "As you say. Well, that didn't happen to me so I can't remember it. But that was the only bad thing that happened." She smiled again. "That's what started much of the fun off! Disguises, wigs, going in those wagons with Sookie - do you remember what she was like when we first met her? She had no idea what either of us was like, she just thought we were two little stuck-up noble girls." The smile vanished. "A few months before then, that might even have been true for me. I'm glad you came along, Garia. It was a privilege to come to know you and an honor to belong to your house."

"Mind if we join you, ladies?"

Keren and Terinar rode up, each positioning themselves outside the girls. Merizel automatically eased on her reins so that she and Terinar fell into line behind Keren and Garia.

"Glad to be back in the saddle?" Keren asked Garia.

"Of course. Snep's happy too."

"I don't think Senidet treated him badly, but he knows who his mistress really is, doesn't he?"

"He knows where the treats are, you mean." She leaned forward and patted her mount's neck. "Greedy-guts."

"What were you two talking about? Hope we didn't interrupt anything."

"Only Dekarran castle. Last time we were there, we had a lot of what Merizel insists on calling fun."

"It was good, wasn't it? Especially with all the others there as well. It will be quieter this time, with just us and Uncle Gil."

Garia snorted. "So, you don't think we'll be beset by every guildsman in Dekarran, then? Or does quiet have a different meaning for Kings and Princes?"

"I concede your point, milady. But Dekarran is a port, a crossroads, more than it is a center for manufacture. There are workshops there, of course, but nothing like what we saw around Teldor."

"I know! I was amazed! I couldn't believe the number of new workshops and warehouses we saw being built as we rode in."

"You have only yourself to blame. Paper, copper wire, brass, bronze, tin for glass-making, even print foundries. Teldor is Palarand's main center of industry and it will only grow, as we made plain to Lord Jeldek last night. It's just as well he understands your zoning ideas."

"True. But enough of Teldor, we were talking about Dekarran. I'd hoped to be able to relax for a day or two and Dekarran is the perfect place to do it."

"Aye, I'll agree with you there."

"Had any more ideas about what might be going on?"

Keren shrugged. "Very little. I don't think there's a problem in North Palarand or we would have seen more evidence of it as we traveled. There must be something happening along the Valley."

"Yod." Garia's tone was flat.

"Aye, most likely. But at this time of year? They must be crazy."

The mid-morning stop came after eight marks and the caravan almost filled the parking area of the roadhouse. After the necessary visits to the bath houses the nobles congregated near the kitchen block for a warming drink. The weather had been fine so far, but because of that the mornings took some bells to warm up.

A column of men in Dekarran colors rode in from the south, led by a File Leader. All dismounted, two of the men managing the reins of the animals while the others made for the comfort block. The File Leader spotted the nobles gathered around a table and walked over, saluting as he neared them.

"Your Highness, My Lord, My Lady," he addressed those he recognized. Keren, Terinar and Garia were wearing their house colors and rank sashes. Trosanar, who was in his usual well-worn travel clothes, looked faintly amused but said nothing.

"File Leader," Keren acknowledged with a nod. "You're far from home."

"Aye, Highness. His Grace," a nod a Terinar for the mention of his father, "has increased patrols through the lands around Dekarran lately. You are bound there?"

"Aye, File Leader. We intend to be at the castle by sunset. Do you know the reason for this change in routine, by any chance?"

The man shook his head. "I do not, Highness." His eyes flickered around the campsite. "I do not think you will have need of our services, you are too strong."

"As you say. What of the countryside?"

"All is quiet, Highness, so far as we can tell. There are patrols among the homesteads and others in the forests of the upper slopes. I believe the Duke fears infiltrators rather than open attack, but we have instructions against most possibilities."

Terinar asked, "You have not seen or heard anything yourself?"

The man shook his head again. "No, My Lord. All seems routine." He hesitated, then asked, "Is something untoward, My Lord? Is there something, perhaps, we should be looking for?"

"Not to my knowledge, File Leader." Terinar nodded, then said, "Carry on, we won't keep you from your duties."

Keren turned to the others as the man walked off and raised an eyebrow.

"What do you make of that?"

Terinar shrugged. "Could be anything. It's beginning to look as if, the sooner we get to Dekarran the better."

"Agreed." Keren turned. "Jaxen!"

"Aye, Highness." Jaxen ambled over, casting a thoughtful glance at the File Leader as he entered the bath house. "Trouble?"

"I'm not sure. We'll get to the castle by sunset, won't we?"

"That's the plan, Highness."

"I'd like to make sure we do that, if you would. Let's trim our stops so that we arrive in daylight, can we do that?"

"Aye, Highness, though 'tis difficult with so many, of course."

"Aye. While we're on our way to the lunch stop, consider a plan for splitting us into two or even three separate caravans. As you well know milady's safety is of the greatest importance and it may be necessary to send her on ahead with most of the troops. I'm assuming that the commercial wagons would not be in any real danger, it is the Baroness who is the main target."

"As you say, Highness. Will milady require any of the wagons to go with her?"

Garia shrugged. "I don't know, Jaxen. I have no idea where or how the chests are packed and if we take the time to unload and re-arrange them at the lunch stop it will just delay everybody." She had a thought. "Wait a moment! There must be clothing of mine still at the castle, surely?"

"All the rest of your attire went south with Milsy, milady," Jenet said. "I do not think there will be anything left in Dekarran."

"Don't concern yourself, milady," Jaxen said. "We'll have a quick look at the lunch stop and see if we can at least find your chests. It may be that one or two wagons will hold most of them. If so, we can send those wagons with you."

"Okay, Jaxen. I can manage for a day or so until the rest arrive," Garia decided.

"There are also the chests of those who would go with milady. Highness?"

"Aye. Merizel, of course, and Jenet." Keren looked at the expression on Jaxen's face. "You want me to go with the Baroness."

"It would be best, Highness. Your men and hers will the best at defending her." Jaxen grinned at Garia. "Begging your pardon, milady. I know you wield a mean sword yourself. And, perhaps, Lord Terinar as well, to lead the way."

"Won't that leave the rest of the caravan unprotected?"

"No more than usual, Highness."

"I will trade you," Trosanar offered. "My men will remain with the other wagons which means that Lord Terinar's escort can strengthen those who protect the Baroness. I, of course, must accompany the Prince to Dekarran. I have not forgotten why I am here."

"Done. Jaxen, let's get going and we can work out the details as we ride."

"Aye, Highness."

~o~O~o~

After consultation with Jaxen, Keren sent a man forward so that when the caravan reached the lunch stop their food was already waiting. After making use of the facilities most sat at the outside tables eating the hot meal provided. Garia noticed that those who had forks had an advantage in this kind of situation, they could eat more rapidly than those who had to rest their plates on the table while using spoon and knives. During the meal Jaxen came to their table.

"Highness, Milady, we have a minor problem."

"Oh? I saw you looking at that wagon."

"Aye, Highness. It is one of the Dekarran wagons, the one that had the damaged axle, remember? It also happens to be the one with most of the chests belonging to Milady and her staff."

"So we can't leave it, then."

"It is not a big problem, Highness. We are not so far from Dekarran now and we can make a repair that will get the wagon there today. It will require a delay of perhaps a quarter to half a bell, that is all."

Keren turned around, taking a good look at the sky, then nodded.

"The light is good enough, we can afford to wait so long."

Jaxen bowed. "Thank you, Highness."

When the meal ended Garia walked back to the highway, as there was something there she wanted to take a closer look at and they could spare the time. Most of the others went with her to stretch their legs. Just to the south of the pull-in was a site where one of the new semaphore towers was being constructed. She had noticed the sites all along their route from Holville southwards but most had been little more than stockpiles of materials awaiting the construction crews. This one was almost complete.

There were two pairs of poles set about three strides apart, each pair sunk into a pit which had been backfilled with concrete. Filling holes and foundation trenches was, Garia knew, almost the only use the locals had for the material before she arrived and suggested moldings to them. Each pair of poles sandwiched five horizontal spars, the lowest of which was about three strides up and which supported the roof ridge of a shed that filled the space between the uprights. Two men were daubing the siding of this shed with what might have been pitch or the local equivalent of creosote, Garia couldn't tell without getting close enough for a smell.

The upper four spars started at the top of the poles and were spaced about two strides apart. Each projected beyond the poles and those on one side already had the moveable semaphore arms, each a stride long, attached to the ends. As yet there were no control ropes, Garia assumed they would be installed once all the arms had been fitted.

The topmost spar had additional timbers either side to support a crows' nest between the poles. This was open sided but roofed and just big enough to accommodate two men with telescopes. A copper pipe ran from the crows' nest down to the shed which Garia knew was a speaking tube. A similar method was used to communicate from the top of the King's Tower at Dekarran with the guardroom at its base.

"Is it as you thought it would be?" Keren asked.

"I see a number of things that weren't mentioned when I sketched this out originally," she replied. "The speaking tube, for example, that's a good idea. Having two poles each side stiffens the frame and makes the whole thing that much stronger. It looks like a good design, although nobody will know until they have been using it a while."

Terinar asked, "How does it work, Garia?"

She briefly described how a chain of stations could pass a message along much quicker than a man could ride, and across terrain it would be difficult to cross on foot or mounted - like the Sirrel.

"What are those for?" Terinar enquired, pointing to a short flagpole at the top of each pair of uprights.

"They are for identifying the direction of traffic," Garia explained. "If the left one is raised, then the signal is going a particular way."

"And if the right one is raised?"

Garia raised an eyebrow and stared at Terinar until he blushed.

"That was a stupid question, wasn't it? If you are looking at the station from the other direction, then the other flag is the left one. Is that right?"

"That's it. There are two other possibilities, and they are, if no flags are up, nobody is watching. If both are up, then someone is up there watching for a message from either direction."

"Clever." She could see Terinar working something out in his head. "But why so many... arms, did you call them? We don't need that many to allow for all the letters and numbers, surely?"

"You're right, you could get away with six arms, and I gather they plan to only use the lower six at first." She grinned. "The top two are for expansion and other codes. Now, have you heard of a thing called binary? We use it on Earth and that's one reason we decided to build eight arms."

Terinar shook his head. "Binary? No, I don't know that word."

"It's a system of counting using only the numbers zero and one."

Terinar looked puzzled, as did several of the other listeners.

"Okay, perhaps we'll talk about that once we get to the castle."

That reminded Garia and she brought out the mini-telescope hanging in its tube at her belt. Focusing the instrument she aimed it down-valley to see the King's Tower plainly visible in the V of rock which formed the outlet of the Palar. She could easily imagine that with a bigger telescope the watchers in the crows' nest would be able to see the signal station at Dekarran in one direction and the corresponding station at Teldor in the other.

Lanilla, not being interested in strange mechanical constructions, had instead turned her attention to the countryside surrounding the roadhouse. Now she saw the state of the river and called out in surprise, "Milady! The river! What has happened to the water? Where did it go?"

Everyone turned to look. The Palar, being about half a mark wide at this point, was showing about fifty strides of wet, glistening mud under each bank and the water level was noticeably lower than when they had left Teldor.

Garia was momentarily nonplussed herself. It appeared that the river had begun to drain, as though someone had pulled out the plug, but that was impossible. Then the answer dawned on her.

Tides. We're close enough to Dekarran that this part of the Palar must be tidal. Now how the heck do I explain tides to someone who has no idea even what gravity is?

She turned, trying to find the words, but Terinar beat her to it.

"Lanilla, in this part of the river the water flows in and out each day, since the Palar is connected to the Sirrel and the Sirrel to the sea. What you see is the tide flowing out. Later on this evening all the water will come back in again, so nothing will be lost. The tides are ruled by Kalikan, in much the same fashion as a woman is, but instead of once a month the tides come twice a day." He shook his head. "I do not understand how this may be, perhaps a questor might know, or even your mistress. I only know that over many years we have determined that the tides are linked to Kalikan."

Lanilla curtseyed and smiled shyly. "Thank you, My Lord. I did not deserve such an explanation."

Terinar returned her smile. "But you do, Lanilla. The tides are important to all who live at the coast or who go to sea. Coming from a mountain region as you do, I am not surprised you have never known of such a thing. In Dekarran our lives are ruled, in many ways, by the tides."

"As you say, My Lord. Thank you again, My Lord."

Jaxen ambled over about then.

"Highness, My Lords, Milady, we will shortly be ready to move out."

Everybody dispersed to climb on wagons or collect their mounts from the corral.

"I didn't know that about tides and Kalikan," Keren remarked as they walked over to collect their frayen. "Did you?"

"Keren," Garia replied, "on Earth I lived more than a thousand marks from the coast! I'm not really familiar with nautical matters. However," she continued, "in school we did go over why there are tides and how they work so I could probably explain it to you sometime. I'm not sure I could explain to Lanilla, she doesn't have the background."

"Education again, I take it?" He nodded. "You make powerful arguments for improving our people, Garia."

"It will all come in time, Keren."

~o~O~o~

The shadows were long as the abbreviated column climbed the ramp to the north gate of Dekarran castle. Terinar led the way with Merizel beside him, followed by Trosanar's carriage and then Keren and Garia. Behind them came five wagons, the smallest number they thought they could get away with. The rest would probably arrive later that evening or early the next morning so the inconvenience was relatively minor. Their armsmen mostly flanked the procession with a file at the front, behind Terinar and Merizel, and at the rear.

Turning into the courtyard, below the King's Tower, Garia saw the space lit by flaring torches racked to the walls. At the main entrance to the castle Gilbanar stood waiting with Vivenne and Korizet beside him. Terinar dismounted and waited for Merizel before walking over to his parents and hugging his mother. They spoke a few words while Keren and Garia dismounted in turn. Garia received a hug from both their hosts.

"By the Maker, you're both safe!"

"Uncle Gil, we were probably safer out there than you were in here," Keren replied. "In fact, our journey back was almost completely without incident." He scowled. "Except for the nobles we met along the way, that is."

Gilbanar grunted. "I see Trosanar among your retinue. Could you not deal with the matter yourself?"

"I have no experience, Uncle, and he is not my vassal. I would learn how you must judge such matters before I attempt to do the same."

"Very well. Come inside, all of you. The evening becomes cold, I would not wish the need for a healer so soon after you arrive!"

Garia curtseyed to Gilbanar. "Your Grace, I must see to my frayen before I can relax. If you would permit?"

"Garia, we have many stable hands to deal with such matters." Gilbanar studied her expression before relenting. "Very well, since the care you provide them makes them better mounts you may take them to the stables. Terry, escort Keren, Garia, Merizel and anyone else who so desires to the stables. Bring them up through the levels to the Receiving Room when they are finished."

"Aye, father."

Before they left for the stables Keren voiced what was uppermost in all their minds.

"Uncle, what is going on? We saw mounted patrols along the road from Teldor and there have been hints of trouble in some of your letters."

Gilbanar sighed. "Aye, Keren. There is bad news from upriver. Joth has been taken by the forces of Yod."

There was a gasp from his listeners. Garia tried to think where Joth was in the string of states which stretched along the course of the Sirrel.

"How long ago, Uncle? Is there any danger here?"

"Ten days ago, perhaps. So far as we know they have made no further move so no, we are not in immediate danger." He shrugged. "Of course, the river traffic is disrupted so what reports we can get are confused. We'll speak of it this evening, if we may. I see you are tired from your journey and have need of a wash, fresh clothes and a meal first."

"As you wish, Uncle."

Once everyone had seen to the care, bedding and feeding of their frayen Terinar led the way through the fortress to the 'public' levels.

Keren asked him, "Glad to be back?"

"Aye, perhaps. It is my home, after all. I know, though, that it is possible to become too attached to a place, to become afraid of what might lie beyond. That is why I didn't mind going to Holville and why I want to come down to the capital to study some of the new ideas which Garia has brought." He was silent for a while, then, "You're different, Keren. And Garia is, you're both more... adult, if I may use that word. Your experiences in Blackstone have made their mark on you both."

"Aye. You have said as much to us before."

"I need that experience as well. I must travel, find a place for myself in this new world Garia has brought us."

"What about me?" Merizel asked.

Terinar smiled. "I'm sure we can come to some mutual arrangement, Merry." His expression changed. "You haven't been scared off by your experiences, have you? You don't want to stay home from now on, perhaps?"

"Of course not," she replied. "I would travel again, as my liege permits, and perhaps with a good man by my side." She cast a demure glance at Keren. "Begging your pardon, Highness."

"I don't think you have much to worry about just yet," Garia noted. "It will be months before anyone does any more traveling. Isn't that right, Keren?"

"Aye, Garia. The first storms of winter cannot be far away."

In the Receiving Room Gilbanar was brief. "I won't say much more than welcome to you all since I know you want to change and are probably hungry. We'll talk after the meal, if we may, we have much to discuss. I will tell you what we know of events upriver and then you can tell me all about your adventures in Blackstone." He fixed an eye on Garia.

"Your Grace," she began, "we told you everything in our letters."

"Indeed you did," he agreed, "and now I want to hear the rest of it. Just as there are things I did not mention to Keren in our letters, there are things he - and you, milady - did not mention to me in yours. Go on, now, go and clean yourselves up. By the time our servants have shown you to your rooms the water will be hot and waiting. Milady Merizel."

"Your Grace?"

"I intend to give Garia the same suite she used before. Do you wish to share as you did then? We have space if you desired your own suite."

"If it is acceptable, Your Grace, I'll share with Garia again."

"Makes sense," Garia added. "We have two new maids and if we were in separate rooms things could get complicated."

"As you desire. By the time you have all bathed your chests should have been delivered to your suites." He grimaced. "After your previous visit our guard arrangements have changed, Garia. Your own men, or that of the Prince, all known to you, will be the only ones who will guard that corridor. You shall be safe in my house, I give you my oath."

"Thank you, Uncle Gil."

That brought the first smile to Gilbanar's face that she had seen since she arrived. Things had certainly changed!

The servant woman who showed them to the residential level was an older woman, presumably one of the castle's more senior retainers. She stopped outside a well-carved door with a gesture.

"Milady, this will be your suite."

"Thank you, I remember being in this one before." Garia turned. "If you don't mind me asking, where will Senidet be staying?"

"Ah, Mistress Senidet will have one of the smaller suites further along this corridor, milady."

"Can we take a look? We're familiar with our own rooms, we might as well see what she has been given."

Senidet's suite was smaller but furnished in the same style as the bigger ones. A compact sitting room had a door which led directly to a bedroom about half the size of the one Garia and Merizel would be using. There were doors along one side only, a bathroom, servant's room, dressing room and where the fourth door would have led to the next suite, instead it led here to a small toilet closet.

"That's great," Garia approved. "Senidet, if you want to remain here you can or you can come and sit with us in our suite. There won't be enough room for us to all sleep together but there's no reason you have to be on your own if you don't want to."

"Thank you, milady. If I may join you shortly?"

"Of course. We'll probably all be in the tub if you wait too long, though."

Garia led the way back and into their own suite, to gasps from the two younger maids.

"Milady, these rooms are amazing! I never knew that furnishings could be so rich."

"The bedroom is so large, milady! Why, my whole family's house could fit inside!"

"It is a bit of a shock, isn't it? Remember, Dekarran used to be a royal palace and we are on the level where the family lives now. These suites were used for visiting rulers from other lands so they had to be large and well decorated."

"What are all these doors, milady? And where are we to sleep? Do they have servants' dormitories like in the other castles?"

"They do, on the other levels, but here you'll have your own sleeping quarters in with us. I suggest you two girls take one side and Jenet has the other."

While Jenet showed Jasinet and Lanilla the facilities Merizel and Garia had a quiet conversation.

"There's no point unpacking everything, is there? We'll only be here a day, two nights, at the most."

"As you say, Garia. We might want to hang up the evening gowns though, to let the creases out."

"Didn't think of that. Come on, let's get the water started."

When the five women emerged in the provided fluffy robes they found that their chests had been brought up and neatly arranged below the windows. After a short search suitable evening clothes were found for all and they were dressing when Senidet appeared, wearing her only evening gown.

"This is an amazing place," she commented. "So unlike all the other castles we have stayed in. That bed is enormous!"

"It is, isn't it? We were telling the girls, these rooms were used for visiting heads of state, and I guess some of those would be of larger size than us smallish girls." Garia inspected Senidet. "I think we're going to have to do something about your wardrobe, Senidet. You can't turn up for evening meals wearing the same gown all the time."

Senidet was apologetic. "My Lady, we had neither the need nor the coin for better gowns in Blackstone. And after Trogan -"

"I understand. Don't worry, we'll soon fix you up when we reach the palace. If we had been staying here longer I'd have something made for you by the castle women but the King wants us home so we shouldn't delay."

"Milady, you should not! Father was insistent that I must earn my way as any other apprentice would."

"Yeah, well, once we get you settled, perhaps you can. But until we get to Palarand you're officially one of my party so I can give you gifts as I wish. Isn't that right, Jenet?"

"Mistress Senidet, milady has the right of it," Jenet agreed. "She is your patron and there is no dishonor in accepting help from her."

Senidet bowed her head. "As you desire, milady."

Terinar himself came to conduct them to the dining hall and along the way they picked up Keren from another suite on the same corridor as their own. The party, with their armsmen in front and behind, threaded their way through the corridors to a dining chamber Garia remembered well. This time Garia faced Gilbanar across the table while Keren sat next to her, opposite Vivenne. Terinar, of course, sat facing Merizel. Everybody had forks and used them as though they had always done so. The talk was light and kept away from anything technical or related to recent events.

At the end of the meal Garia arranged with Feteran for Tedenis and Briswin to have time off, to be spent in loosely-supervised company with Senidet, Jasinet and Lanilla. The rest gathered in Gilbanar's parlor for the serious business of the evening.

"Let us dispose of some loose ends first," Gilbanar began. "Keren, explain to me your reasoning for bringing Lord Trosanar down to Dekarran, would you?"

Without prompting Trosanar rose from his seat and went down on one knee before Gilbanar, bowing his head.

"Your Grace," he said, "I admit my faults, which are those of most nobles. I have learned much on my journey here. I am willing to accept what penalty you desire of me."

"Keren?"

"Your Grace," Keren said formally, also rising from his seat, "Lord Trosanar sought to delay the development of Blackstone and the new mines there by various means. We thought to provide a wharf south of the forest along the Chaarn road to permit the coal traffic to be transferred to barges. Lord Trosanar refused permission for such a wharf on his own lands and put pressure on lands he did not own to prevent building a wharf on the other side of the Bray river."

Gilbanar frowned. "Pressure?"

"Aye, Your Grace. Trosanar threatened to raise the bridge tolls for villagers in those lands, when they should travel to Tranidor for market days and otherwise."

Gilbanar pursed his lips. "My lord, you sought to charge tenants of another landowner more than your own at the gates of Tranidor? Is that right?"

"Aye, Your Grace," Trosanar admitted.

"What did you hope to accomplish by this?"

"Your Grace," Keren explained, "Lord Trosanar could see the coal wagons pass by on the highway south to Haligo without entering Tranidor at all. He desired income from that traffic."

Gilbanar nodded. "Ah, all becomes clear. As you say, Trosanar, you are guilty of that which afflicts most nobles, greed. I cannot fault you for that, but interfering with tenants of another's lands I cannot permit. If I should let this pass every landowner would war with every other! Your Highness, have you resolved this matter?"

"Aye, Your Grace. We have pointed out to Lord Trosanar that by raising taxes he merely reduces the amount he is likely to receive. We have also pointed out that within a year or two he will likely obtain more benefit from Blackstone's development because the mines on his own lands will become more productive. He has agreed to permit the passage of the coal wagons without protest and to the building of a wharf at some suitable place along the Bray."

"On his own lands or those of the other owner - who is it, do you know?"

"Baron Charzon, Your Grace. He lives in Palarand and has interests in the ocean trade, I am told. I doubt he has ever visited those lands."

"Old Charzon? The shipowner? I should think not!" Gilbanar considered. "Very well. Milady, you may choose a location for your wharf and give orders for its construction. Find a place that is convenient for the river traffic no matter who is the owner of the land." He addressed Trosanar. "My Lord, your penalty shall be to pay the costs for the construction of the wharf and any associated works."

Trosanar said, "As you command, Your Grace."

"Your Highness, was there anything else?"

Keren hesitated. If he mentioned Trosanar's fantasies about making his own duchy then things could become ugly very quickly and they were no longer of much relevance. Keren had seen how much of Trosanar's attitude had grown from his complete ignorance of what was happening in the kingdom and how much he had changed during their journey south. He doubted whether Trosanar would change fundamentally from what he always had been but Keren now believed that he understood much better what was to come and how he could benefit from it.

"Your Grace, there is one minor matter related to the previous charge. Lord Trosanar sent a party of armsmen to Blackstone to escort us back to Tranidor, as he was required to do by the King. He intended leaving some of those men behind in the new roadhouse on the Blackstone road," Gilbanar nodded, "to levy... a fee, shall we say, on those who passed through. When we reached there I ordered those men to come with us and the coin they had taken was given to the roadhouse staff to be refunded as the wagonmen came along."

Gilbanar raised an eyebrow. "Protection, eh? And again, not even on your own lands! Trosanar, you disappoint me. How do you answer?"

"Your Grace, I sought advantage, as any nobleman might. My understanding of what was taking place in Blackstone was wrong and the decisions I made were therefore wrong. I know now that there are better ways of increasing my income than taxing the wagon traffic."

"Oh? What ways are these?"

"Lady Garia speaks of blast furnaces, banks, rolling mills and railroads, Your Grace. It seems I no longer have great need for the customs of old such as bridge taxes."

Gilbanar grunted. "As you say. Very well, since the roadhouse in question was within Baroness Garia's lands you shall pay her a penalty for the transgression. Milady, what shall be your pleasure?"

"Me?" Garia was about to protest, why me? when she realized it made perfect sense. After all, she was the noble who had been wronged, so she should have the benefit of any penalty. Only problem was, it had taken her unawares and she had no idea what to say.

"Um, Your Grace," she said, "this is unexpected. If I may have a moment to think?"

There's no point taking money off him, he'll make that up easily and it probably won't change his attitude. Besides which, I hardly need more money! What can I do that will drive the point home but won't wreck him? After all, we're still neighbors and I'll have to live with whatever I decide.

She smiled as her train of thought worked towards the obvious solution.

"Your Grace, I would ask Lord Trosanar for rights of way through his lands for the railroad, if I may. I do not wish the lands themselves, just the right to lay out the tracks and yards which will be needed in the future. That would include rights to routes up all the other valleys as well."

"A strange request, milady. Trosanar, what say you?"

"Your Grace, I have heard Lady Garia describe her railroad to several guildsmen as we journeyed here. Though I believe I understand the principle, I am unclear what it is she desires of me."

"Okay," Garia said. "The railroad route will be like a highway, so it would be a strip of land about... fifteen strides wide or so, with gentle curves and shallow gradients. I can make a route from the Bray down the Palar without crossing into your lands but we'll need a route from both the Sufen and the upper Palar, plus a depot in the town and probably a yard south of it where the lines will join together. This won't happen for two or three years at the earliest, I'm guessing, so it won't cost you much to begin with. Just that, when the time comes to actually lay the tracks, any buildings along the route will have to be removed. Having the right of way granted now will make everybody's lives that much easier when the time comes."

Trosanar considered for a while before nodding. "I believe I understand, milady. Your Grace, I will agree to Lady Garia's request."

Gilbanar asked, "I would expect you to compensate anyone whose buildings lie in the path of this railroad?"

"Your Grace, I will give you my word that anyone so affected would be properly compensated."

"Then it is done. I will have my secretary make up a document describing these undertakings."

Goblets, tankards and mugs were refreshed and Gilbanar moved on to the next topic.

"Highness, there is the matter of Holville. I did not know that Terinar was unable to control those armsmen who had been sent there. I approve of your actions in resolving the matter and I will confirm the creation of Guildmaster Halkor as Baron Holville. As to the future, we will wait until the town is properly constituted before considering the future of the barony. If Halkor desires to remain in the town as baron then I would not refuse him, assuming his conduct is satisfactory." Gilbanar shrugged. "If he must needs go elsewhere on guild business then I will choose another to rule Holville."

"Your Grace, that is more or less what I thought you would say. Thank you for your confidence in me."

"Good." Gilbanar took a pull at his tankard and relaxed. "Now, let us talk of events upriver. I believe that the story of your journey to Blackstone and what you did there would take more time than we should spend this evening, so we'll leave that until the morning. Trosanar, your lands are distant, you may remain or go at your own choice."

"If I may stay, Your Grace. I have painfully learned that it is better to have too much knowledge than too little."

"So. As I mentioned when you all arrived, a large force of men of Yod have taken the city of Joth. They did so by arriving late in the evening and by approaching the city by boat. Most of the inhabitants were ejected into the countryside to fend for themselves."

"Just the city, uncle? This is not the usual way any Valley army usually behaves."

"Aye, Keren, just the city. Those of Yod have manned the fortifications and seem content to remain within the walls of Joth."

Terinar asked, "How did they get there, father? Surely somebody must have noticed so many boats and raised the alarm? What about the other states they must needs pass through?"

"It seems they didn't, Terry. Our information, as I said before, is poor, but it seems that the earlier invasion of Ferenis was intended to provide a short-cut route to the river. They have ignored most of the land, including the city, but built a road to meet the Sirrel downstream of it. There they seem to have constructed wharves of their own where galleys could be launched and manned. Forguland they have ignored completely. If and when their boats passed that city nobody can say. They continued downstream to capture Joth, as I have described."

"Uncle Gil," Garia said, "I can't visualise any of this properly. Do you by any chance have a map I can look at?"

"Of course, Garia. Terry, look on that shelf behind you. The large scroll on the end."

Terinar pulled out the map and spread it on the table, using goblets and tankards to weigh down the corners. Everybody gathered round.

"If I may, Uncle Gil?" Keren poked a finger at the map. "See, Garia, here we are at Dekarran, that's Palarand and here's Brikant. Upstream we have Brugan first, then Virgulend where Duke Jarwin came from. Next along is Smordan, that's here, and this is Joth, with the Sirrel flowing both sides of it. Next is Forguland, then Ferenis and finally Yod." Keren frowned at the map. "So, it seems that Yod cut across here and built their wharves somewhere here, is that right, uncle?"

"Aye, Keren."

"What do they want? It seems to me they are nearly half way to Palarand."

"As you say. If Garia is their target they play a dangerous game, so late in the season. I have begun frequent patrols along the trade road as far as Brugan, with the co-operation of the Grand Duke. If they should travel further downriver we should have sufficient warning of their movements, whether by boat or by land."

"Hmm. Uncle, suppose they cut the neck of Brugan as they did with Ferenis?"

Gilbanar shrugged. "Then they would have saved themselves a river journey but they would have no boats. The only target a land force there would have would be Dekarran and I doubt they would succeed here, don't you?"

"As you say, but we will have departed by that time."

"...and you'll be the other side of a river five marks wide. To obtain the south side they must needs stay with their boats and land somewhere in Brikant. Visselen is fully alert to the possibility and has begun raising his levies against any landing."

"I'm relieved to hear that, Uncle Gil. We'd planned to stay for a day or so, do you still think that is a good idea?"

"You'll need to stay here tomorrow, Keren, but I would not delay your crossing much longer if possible. Remember, those of Yod are not the only consideration, you do not want to be on a ferry when the first storm of winter arrives."

"As you say, uncle."

Gilbanar gave Keren an unscrutable look. "Besides which, there are matters back at the palace which will require your personal attention. It is one of the reasons your father wanted you home so quickly."

"Oh?"

His uncle shook his head. "I don't think I should say anything more, Keren. I am not privy to all the details in any case."

Keren nodded. "As you wish, Uncle Gil. Thank you for the warning, in any case."

up
351 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Totally Lost

OK, you have lost me.
Is this a revision or something?
I feel like I am slipping into an alternate reality to your alternate reality.
Ha. Now I've lost you.
Seriously, What is this?

Lost? Lost!

Yup. Ignore the woman behind the curtains... use the link at the bottom to go to chapter 99.

I decided that 98 was somewhat rushed and decided to expand the following day. Most of 98 is in fact the day they travel so it stands on its own, so a new chapter was appropriate.

HOWEVER, most of the comments we've already had concern the firearms so I decided to do a renumbering exercise in order not to lose them - they wouldn't make sense under the revised 98.

I'm sure we can fix this somehow.

Penny

Maybe it would be a good idea...

...to post a note at the top of this chapter explaining why this has been reposted and how to get to the next new chapter. I have to admit that after a couple of paragraphs I was about to quit reading, but then just scrolled to the bottom for no particular reason and tripped over this info.

To give Penny the benefit of the doubt

She did announce this revision in her blog about her trip to New York/Boston. A separate blog announcement might have made if more obvious I suppose.

Just noticed the stealth pun...

She smiled as her train of thought worked towards the obvious solution.

"Your Grace, I would ask Lord Trosanar for rights of way through his lands for the railroad, if I may."


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I'm getting more interested because ...

Ships and rivers and tides and storms are beginning to manifest themselves not to mention wharfs and cutting channels.

I knew an industrial revolution would be hard put without water transport and railways, I've just been waiting for them to gain a higher profile.
Interestinger and interestinger.

Thanks Penny and glad you're back from t'apple and glad your health seems to be holding up (and even improving I hope).

bev_1.jpg

Very Enjoyable

I like the reedit and extra information. I have seemingly developed from experience of both my own making and those of others a way of deciphering almost any source of information as long as it is roughly translated into English. One of my collage instructors was from France and another from the Netherlands. I can crack most spelling and grammatical errors with ease. But I found none of this and no nonsensical wanderings. It makes perfect sense to me and I really enjoyed the expansion.

How you keep all of this straight in your head is flat out amazing and my hat is off to your skill.

Huggles

Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

One can suspect what might be planned for Keren

Some unwanted Royal woman of some sort will be waiting for him, I suspect.

As for what Yod is trying to do, it looks like a series of flanking maneuvers, bypassing armies along the way. They do not have the numbers to occupy so much land so they are headed for Palarand on a particular mission.

In the original 98 replies

I had already made mention of the tactic that Yod is using. The conjecture is that Yod has a modern person from Earth in their tender-loving care. The tactic appears to be an adaptation of the U.S. Island-hopping campaign from WWII. Yod probably managed to lovingly convince their "Guest" to explain the tactic to them.

It could be even simpler.

It could be even simpler. If they can seize control of a significant part of the river, they can basically choke many of the other countries (trade, etc) until they give in.

Heck, they could even threaten to poison downstream.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Keran?

I don't see where that would be a possibility. I think the King and Queen are well aware of the growing love between Keran and Garia, and the benefits this will have for Palarand. No, I suspect the need for a speedy return home has major implications for the safety of Palarand. What is of bigger concern right now, a growing love between the two, or a neighboring country invading Palarand?


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

Well the King and Queen know of course

But I suspect they will try anyway, if only to just test Keren's resolve.

There is a lot of tradition involved, apparently, that I doubt even the King and Queen can arbitrarily over turn. Keren will have to deal with any push back beyond merely mater and pater.

So I still stand that at least an offer of marriage has been made if not the the physical item being offered is actually already present. If he is lucky the offering is as reluctant as he is (maybe she is gay?) and they can conspire somehow to manipulate the situation to their advantage. There are a number of ways this can go I think.

Standalone tag

This appeared in random solos. Should probably not carry the standalone tag.

Funky Tag

There is some kind of problem with the indexing around this region of SEE. If you look, you'll find there is another chapter 98 at the end!

I think I explained somewhere - possibly in a blog - that I had to split a chapter into two, which involved renaming one I'd already published... I think.

Somehow a zombie chapter got created that I can't get rid of. I'm hesitant to touch anything in case both chapter 98s disappear.

I hadn't taken note of any tags but it is possible some randomized stuff got added to one or other chapter 98 (if indeed there are two!).

At some point I assume we'll be able to fix this.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Penny

Yod expands

hmm, reminds me a bit of how the Nazi's took advantage of old thinking when they attacked Belgium and France.

DogSig.png

Bride

I wonder if the king is trying to play matchmaker.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Jar of water

Jamie Lee's picture

Garia still doesn't get it, she's still being hunted and is blasé about it being possible at Dekarran again. That girl needs to pull her head out and realize the constant danger she's in until Yod is wiped off Anmar.

Whatever Fikt went to plan will either take place in the castle, as it did before, when they leave, or while they are traveling. And if he's again using the shotgun, then the lighter needs to be taken out first. And it wouldn't hurt for each guardsman to carry a jar of water, since black powder and water don't mix. Dowse the fuse and the gun won't fire.

Clever reparation Garia obtained, and much needed.

Others have feelings too.