Somewhere Else Entirely -82-

Printer-friendly version

Garia rides out with her men to learn about the lands the King granted her. Along the way they discover a tale of theft, neglect, innocence and family feuding. Stott proves he can use a bow before the company make their final camp at the head of Blackstone Vale.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

82 - Into The Wild


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2013 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



The yard was crowded with men, women and beasts, though there seemed to be an underlying purpose to the apparent chaos. This early it was cold enough to warrant sleeves and Garia was glad of her pea coat. Again she wondered if someone should have suggested that she had some long-sleeved tunics made before they had departed the palace... that was long ago, though, when the weather had been considerably warmer.

Wearing her pea coat had a drawback. Her swords had to be lashed to her saddle harness out of the way, rather than being in their preferred position on her back. She could still draw the blades if it became necessary, although to use them effectively she should be on foot instead of frayen-back. Five of the armsmen had short lances set in sockets in front of their saddles. The sixth armsman was Stott, who instead had a sheath for his longbow, with a full quiver set on the other side of his mount. Every man had a crossbow hanging from the other side of the saddle from lance or bow. Every man was also armed with sword and knife.

Garia looked around at the men who were checking straps, adjusting bundles. One frayen had a huge bundle of kindling as cargo. It looked unwieldy but she had been assured that it had little weight. Another had rolls of canvas and two-stride long poles, these would become the latrine and the 'changing room' whenever they set up camp. Further canvas rolls would serve as sunshade, groundsheet, shelter or windbreak as required.

Feteran came to her, accompanied by his father.

"We appear to be ready, milady. Is there anything else we must do before we leave?"

"I don't think so, commander. Let's get going, I'm getting twitchy."

"Twas always the way, milady," Bleskin said. "The men are eager to ride and something is left behind or undone."

Garia smiled at him. "I take your point, captain, but really, we've done nothing for days but plan this trip out. It's not as if we're going far, in any case. We'll be back before you know it. Now, are you happy being left in charge?"

"Aye, milady. I deem it an honor. Leave it to us, we shall order all."

'Us' seemed to include Brydas, coming through the carriage entrance at that moment with Senidet.

"He has the right of it, milady," the smith said, bowing. "With the Captain's help you shall not find your town in disarray when you return. Go, enjoy your ride."

"I agree," Merizel added, standing beside Sukhana. "You know how much you like riding, go and have some fun."

"I intend to," Garia replied. "I'm sorry you couldn't come as well."

"Me? Go on a camping trip, living rough and sleeping under the stars?" Merizel grinned. "Not me! I'm a noblewoman, I'll have you know. We have servants to do that sort of thing for us." She grinned again. "Actually, it sounds like it could be fun, Garia. Out in the wilds with all these tall, strong men to look after you... I don't want to come now, but perhaps next year we can arrange something together."

"Why not?" Garia agreed. "I've promised the townspeople I would come back at least twice a year so there's potential for the odd side trip. Why don't we see if we can invite Terinar to come with us?"

"Stop that, milady! You're giving me a bad reputation. Now look, everybody else is ready and waiting for you."

Jarrin pushed his way through the crowd.

"Milady, excuse me, I cannot find Durko! His bed has not been slept in."

Bleskin turned. "Some problem, Jarrin?"

"Captain, he is missing. I cannot find anyone who has seen him today or even yesterday evening."

One of the nearby guardsmen interrupted, "Captain, he told me yesterday that it was four years since his mother died and that he was going to get drunk. I doubt not he is sleeping it off in some alley of the town."

Feteran frowned. "He is Lord Gilbanar's man, not ours or the King's. I do not know what discipline they keep in the castle." He turned to Jarrin. "Is Durko absent from his duty, Jarrin?"

Jarrin shrugged. "Commander, we are but wagoneers of the Duke's company. We are not trained as his men-at-arms are, though we do practice with the sword on occasion. I do not know if Durko has a duty this morning, sir."

Bleskin said to Feteran, "Go, son. If you stay to handle this problem half the morning will be wasted. There are men enough left behind that we must find him in time."

"As you say, father." Feteran turned. "Milady? I see His Highness is already in the saddle."

Garia looked around and found that most men were now standing waiting.

"Aye, commander. Let's get going."

Garia pulled herself into her saddle and twitched her skirt into position. Checking her equipment quickly she also turned round to give the pack animal tethered to Snep's harness a brief inspection before looking up and nodding to Feteran.

"Mount up, men!" Then, "Lead out!"

Riding in pairs they followed the same route to the dam that Garia had taken just six days previously. Their frayen were more heavily laden than they had been on that occasion so climbing the bank to reach the top of the dam was more difficult, especially for those who had lances attached to their harnesses. In single file, now, the riders followed the narrow track which ran on the northern side of the lake.

At the far end of the lake the valley narrowed rapidly and kinked to the right, south-east. The way grew sufficiently narrow that Michen recommended that they dismount and lead their animals. The sides of the valley soon closed in until they were walking along a narrow defile at the bottom of what was almost a gorge. Above to either side the walls rose steeply to the hard sandstone which capped the local rock. At the narrowest the valley was only about fifty strides wide at the top. Garia noticed Feteran eyeing the slopes above them.

"Expecting trouble, commander?"

"Not especially, milady, but this is unfamiliar country for all of us except Michen. It is wise to note places where an ambush may be made, even when times are peaceful."

"I guess you're right. Perhaps one day you may even need to set an ambush here."

"Are you sure that your people are not all warriors, milady?"

"Absolutely not, commander, but we do have a heck of a lot of stories involving fighting and warfare."

The defile soon opened out and Garia could feel everybody relaxing around her. Most had been uncomfortable traveling through a narrow place in unknown country, especially on foot. Ahead the slopes began slowly to spread wide with meadows and pastures interspersed with clumps of brush and the occasional small cluster of trees. With a gesture from Feteran they all remounted, and without a word being spoken the party spread out over the close-cropped grass. Ahead, in the distance, a column of smoke was rising.

"Milady?"

"We know there are two farms out here, commander. That must be the first one." Garia looked around. "I wasn't sure, when we first came up as far as the dam, that anyone could make a living out here but looking at the valley now this part seems quite fertile, doesn't it?"

"Aye, milady. I admit to being surprised myself. But these people are a half-day's ride from Blackstone and the town is nearly two day's ride from Tranidor. To live out here these people must be mostly self-sufficient."

"It's not very different to the way rural folk live in my birth country, commander. Provided you can make that ride when you need something special you can generally manage, though I guess you aren't going to get rich out here. At home nobody really became rich from farming except the land-owners. It was machinery that enabled people to make money out of crops and livestock."

"Aye, milady. And this is not fertile land like the valley of the Sirrel or the Palar. I am no farmer but I doubt they can produce much here but pakh wool, hides and meat."

"As you say, and we plan to take even that away from them. Feteran, where's Yarling? We ought to stop here and let him get an idea of the rocks."

The armsmen spread out to provide cover while the others gathered in the middle. The arrangement was awkward because of the pack animals but they could make themselves heard without shouting.

"Master Yarling," Garia said. "What do you think of our chances of finding coal here?"

"It is here, milady, look, there and there." Yarling pointed. "The slope of the land disguises everything but there are sufficient outcrops to let me see the seams. The big seam, the one that we see behind the town, that is some strides below us now. We would need to drive vertical shafts to get to that coal." He hesitated. "If we were to do that, we must take care with the river above us."

Everybody looked at the river, here little more than a fat stream about three strides across sunk in a channel made stony with shale.

"There is little water flowing here," Keren observed. "Surely we could provide a properly lined channel to carry it, would that take care of the problem?"

"Perhaps, Highness, but you have to remember what this river must look like during the rainy season. Those banks are so high for a reason."

"Aye," Keren said, nodding, "I forget sometimes. We are not in the city, I forget that the rains must fall here as they do in the Valley."

They looked around more carefully now, noticing for the first time the layers of debris marks over the lower parts of the valley floor. When the rains came here, the excess water overflowed the channel by many strides.

"There is ample room in this part of the valley for a miner's camp, milady," Yarling continued, "But bringing supplies in and taking coal out could be interesting." His glance went back to the gorge they had just come through. He nodded to himself. "We shall find a way, milady."

"Thank you, Master Yarling," Garia said. "Shall we go on?"

As they rode toward the holding Garia's spirits began to rise. This was what she wanted! To be on the back of a trusted animal, riding in open country with her friends around her, the blue sky above her and the air filled with sweet smells and the sounds of... avians. As she watched, small flocks of them rose and fell, clustering around the shrubs and brush which dotted the landscape. These particular avians were tiny, little more than winged jewels sparkling in the sunlight. Garia looked around for larger species but couldn't spot any. That didn't mean that they weren't there, of course.

The dwelling was on the other side of the valley in order to catch the most sun, so the party splashed across the stream and approached. It was large and solidily-built, of one-and-a-half stories, stone at the bottom, roughly-plastered panels above and a steep thatched roof with glassless windows poking through. To the north, on the river side of the building, a large vegetable garden showed what these people ate while beyond the farmhouse was a corral filled with pakh. Waiting for the party in a line outside the house were a surprisingly large number of people. As the party pulled to a halt they bowed and curtseyed low to their visitors.

"Greetings to you all," Keren said, his hand raised. "We are just passing through, no need to be alarmed."

"Greetings, Your Highness, My Lady," the man of the house said, bowing again. "Though we have little, we offer you the hospitality of our house."

Garia quickly glanced at the dwellers. There was a young girl of maybe six or seven, a boy of perhaps ten, another as old as herself. Beside them stood who she presumed was the man of the house and his wife, next to an older woman who Garia judged from her features as being the mother of the wife. Sitting in front of them in a wicker chair was an even older woman who must have been from the previous generation again. To their side stood two girls of maybe twelve or thirteen.

The man addressed Garia. "Milady, you have come for the coal."

It was a statement, not a question. From the expression on Garia's face he must have seen her puzzlement because he continued, "My wife and I were in the street when you spoke to the town from the balcony, milady. We know there is great wealth in the ground, we do not begrudge the taking of it to any."

Garia dismounted, several of the others following. She and Keren came to stand in front of the family group.

"I am so sorry," she said. "We knew that people's lives would be disrupted when we first thought of taking coal out but only when you see it in front of you do you realize what effect it has on people's lives. I wish there could be some other way."

"Aye, milady," the man said. "Many a lord would make a decree without considering his people." His eyes moved to Keren. "Begging your pardon, Highness. From what I have heard of the King he is a good man to have rule of our country."

"Thank you, goodman." Keren smiled. "My father tries to take the interests of his people into account but there are some few times he must make uncomfortable decisions. Garia, what shall we do for these people?"

"If you were there in Blackstone when I announced myself," Garia said to them, "then you will have heard me offer relocation - um, I will compensate you with another farm of at least equal worth if you decide to move away. I can't promise where that might be, though. It might even be in another lord's lands. Whether or not you can find somewhere else suitable for farming pakh I don't know."

The man nodded, remembering.

Garia continued, "If you want to stay here, you can, although I don't think that you'd be able to continue farming the way you have been. I'm sure the miners could find work for you and your sons, or you could set yourselves up to provide services they need, like cooking or laundry or running a stable, something like that. If you wanted to move into Blackstone I'm sure there will soon be plenty of people who will want extra help as the town grows. But whatever you do it will be your decision. We won't just throw you off this land and move you on."

The man bowed. "Milady, you are gracious. It will take us some time to decide what to do." He hesitated, unsure of involving himself in the affairs of his betters. "Can you tell us when the miners will come, milady?"

Garia looked around for Yarling and he stepped forward.

"Not until next spring at the very earliest, goodman," the miner said. "Possibly not at all next year. There is much to be done before we open any shafts so far from the town as this." He gestured to the two older girls. "If you decide to stay here I would advise sending your girls into town, they will be safer there. A mining camp is no place for young women, if you take my meaning."

The man's face flickered as he understood the warning. "Thank you, Master..?"

Yarling bowed to the man. "Guildsman Yarling, Master Miner at your service. I am planning the mines for the Baroness. When the time comes doubtless we shall devise some satisfactory arrangement with you. I will reside in Blackstone over the winter, if there is need you may consult me there."

"As you say, Master Miner." The man turned his attention to Keren and Garia. "Highness, Milady, it is about the time of morning we would normally have a drink and a snack. Would you and your party eat with us?"

Garia looked at Keren. The situation was delicate, since it would be unfair to eat these people out of house and home, but equally important to acknowledge their hosts' hospitality. Keren understood her concern.

"Goodman, we will join you to eat and drink but we will eat our own provisions, if we may. Twelve extra mouths will deplete your stores. If you could show us somewhere to picket our frayen?"

The older son showed Feteran where the animals could be picketed, with enough forage to satisfy their own appetites. Garia took off her bowler hat and the two older girls gasped, turning immediately to their mother.

"Milady's address that day had much for me to remember," she told them. "I noticed her style of hair but I had more important matters to think about." The woman turned to Garia. "Milady, I am Rathina and these are my daughters Venna and Kalisel. Welcome to our home. My husband is Brethen, this is my mother Tarina, in front of her his mother's mother Jorilda but we all call her Ganna. Our two boys are Denesar and Matwin, our youngest daughter is Portra."

"I'm pleased to meet you all," Garia said gravely. She turned. "This is my maid Jenet. The Prince you know. Master Yarling you have just met and I'm sure you know Master Michen from the town." Rathina nodded. "The commander of my men is Feteran," Garia continued. "His father has just retired as Captain of the Palace Guard and lives in Blackstone now."

"Oh? Then we may meet him next time we go to town. If you will give me leave, Highness, Milady, I will get some water on the fire. Girls? I'll need some help, please."

The two older girls, with frustrated expressions on their faces, followed their mother into the house as the rest crowded round.

"Jenet? Can you find those pastries? I'm sure this is the perfect opportunity to share them around."

Sukhana had presented them with a batch of freshly-baked pastries before they left and these were brought out, the ones in the center of the wrapped cloth bundle still faintly warm from the oven. There were enough for everybody to have two each and by the time they were distributed Rathina and her daughters were bringing out mugs of pel. The armsmen had found the party's mugs and taken them into the house to be filled, along with a bag of leaves for the pot. Soon they were all seated on the turf swopping news and stories.

"Goodman Brethen," Keren said, "this is the edge of my father's Kingdom. I am recently an adult and so I travel to learn about his most distant lands. I assume that beyond the ridge to the north lies the Stone Sea."

The farmer nodded. "Aye, Highness, that is so."

"What lies over the southern ridge, then? Would those be Palarandi lands or is it perhaps Vardenale or some other country?"

"Highness, nobody claims those lands. Beyond the ridge is another valley, and beyond that yet another and so on. I believe the borders of Palarand - so far as I understand the matter - follow the Rule of Rivers, as is custom in these parts. That is, the lands belong to us if the rivers in them flow into the Palar. The Sirrel, of course, is somewhat different." He shrugged. "I and others graze our herds into the next valley on occasion, Highness. The small river that runs through it flows east and then into the Stone Sea so it is claimed by no-one."

"Do many frequent such lands, do you know?"

The man shook his head. "Very few, Highness. Only a few pakh farmers like me from this vale or from Blackstone. The network of valleys beyond here is like a maze, Highness. A man could easily lose his way there, we do not venture far ourselves. There are herds of wild gavakhan which occasionally stray this far and there are several kinds of beasts which prey on them, like zinakh and drekhil. Of course, we always have to look out for grakh and we have even seen ptuvil on rare occasions."

Stott, alerted by the subject, asked, "Goodman, are any of these beasts you name seen in this valley?"

"Rarely, sir. Only when the wild gavakhan stray here do they follow."

Stott explained to him with a grin, "Before I became an armsman of the King I used to hunt such beasts, among other things. You'll forgive me if I don't explain the circumstances. But it might be as well, Highness, Commander, if I was to take the lead when we set off again."

Keren looked at Feteran. "Commander?"

"I have no objection, Highness, and I don't think milady will object. It is well to have someone familiar with such matters at the front of our party."

Garia had become warm in the sun and she decided to take off her pea coat. Jenet took it, folded it and strapped it to Snep's saddle, returning with her swords.

"Maker! You wear swords, milady! Is this now the custom in Palarand, Highness?"

Keren gave Brethen a twisted smile. "The wielding of swords is a custom of milady's own people, goodman, although there are women elsewhere in Alaesia who practise a similar custom. It is possible that other women in Palarand may take up the art of swords in time, having seen the Baroness so equipped."

Garia added, "I wear these for defense only, Goodman Brethen. I'm not stupid enough to get involved in a pitched battle, trust me."

Garia stood so that Jenet could strap the swords on her back and then, in one smooth motion, drew them over her shoulders and held them crossed in front of her.

"Like that," Keren explained, "she can trap the sword of any attacker. I have trained with her in the use of her swords and I can confirm that they are very difficult to get past."

"As you say, Highness." Brethen examined Garia's swords from a distance. "I am no expert in such matters, Highness, but there appears to be no edge to these blades."

"That is correct," Keren replied. "The blades are only sharpened at the tip, to stab your assailant with. We train with blunted blades, and I have many bruises from our sessions."

Brethen nodded. "An interesting idea, Highness. If I wished to learn more of such matters..?"

Keren grinned. "Apply first to your smith in Blackstone, goodman. Master Brydas has some slight knowledge of those arts we speak of, although the palace is where you will find the best information. But Blackstone Vale is a peaceful place, I deem. It is well to be able to defend yourself, and your family, but I do not think you will have much need to do so."

"As you suggest, Highness."

After Garia resheathed her swords she turned to Keren. "Perhaps we ought to be leaving? I don't know how far we have to go, and we shouldn't impose on these people."

Michen said, "We do not have far to go, milady, but perhaps it would be best if we resumed our journey. We do not know what might await us at the far end of the vale."

It seemed but moments before everything was cleared away and repacked. The farmer and his family watched as Stott led the column east away from their farmhouse. Ahead, the land looked broader, the valley flatter, the sky wider.

~o~O~o~

The other farm wasn't too far away, as such things go, but the terrain became more broken as the company ventured further east so the building wasn't immediately visible. Garia estimated that to walk from one to the other would probably take a bell or so, so these people must have visited one another from time to time. They were, after all, each others' nearest neighbors.

Which made her wonder why nobody had said anything about the other farm while they were at the first one. Some disagreement over land or stock? She knew of people in Kansas that had held grudges for decades over some trivial thing, perhaps the same had happened here.

As soon as the house came into view she knew something was wrong. No smoke, no reception committee, poor building maintenance, no stock to be seen. As the frayen came to a halt outside a man came out the front door and looked at them. His shoulders slumped as he took in the company, all in uniforms and carrying serious weapons.

"Lord, I cannot do this. I have not the strength."

He addressed this speech to Feteran, who he had assumed led the expedition.

"Goodman," Feteran replied, "you mistake me. Our party is led by Lady Garia, Baroness Blackstone," he gestured at Garia, "and His Highness, Prince Keren of Palarand attends her." Another gesture, as Feteran added, "What has happened here?"

"Baroness? Prince?" The man looked bewildered. "What has happened to Lord Trogan?"

Garia and Keren had slid off their frayen and approached the man.

"Trogan is dead, executed after a trial in town for his crimes," Garia said. "He was an imposter, probably a bandit who waylaid and killed the real tax assessor. You need fear him no more. I am the rightful liege of Blackstone now. I'm riding my lands to find out what there is. What is the matter?"

The man fell to his knees. "Lady, my wife... she fell sick after Trogan's men last came. She is no more, I burned her remains but twelve days hence. I have two children and an infirm grandfather. I cannot tend this land any more. What is to become of me?"

Keren said, "If we can help you, goodman, then we shall. Rise, please. Do they know of your distress at the other farm yonder?"

The man shook his head. "No, H- Highness. Though I am cousin to Brethen, we do not bespeak one another. An old disagreement."

"I would have thought," Keren told him sternly, "that your circumstance is dire enough you would overcome such reluctance. Do you starve? Are you well provided? What of your beasts?"

"Highness, Trogan's men took our frayen. We have pakh but they are scattered, I dare not leave the house to find them. There is enough food for now, but I fear we shall not survive the winter."

Garia looked at Feteran. "Commander, send a man - two men - back to the other farm and ask them to come and rescue these people." She saw the alarm and shame in the farmer's eyes. "Ask them to take them back and look after them until we return." She turned to the man. "I want all of you to go to the other farm. You obviously can't manage by yourself, all the way out here. If you have young children - how old are they?"

"Ten years and six, My Lady," the man said. "My daughter Renys is the elder, my son Toren is but a boy." He remembered himself and bowed. "And I, Your Highness, My Lady, am called Brandar."

"Okay, Brandar," Garia resumed. "I can't imagine that any argument you might have had with your cousin is known to either of your children, is it? And you have just admitted to us that they would probably die this winter. You are responsible for their lives, I'm asking that you give them that chance at life. Take them somewhere where they will be warm, well-fed and looked after. We're heading off up to the end of the valley to explore. We'll be back either tomorrow or the next day, and we'll call at the other farm to see how you are. If you want to stay there, fine. If you want to abandon this place, and come back to Blackstone with us, then we can do that."

Brandar bowed low. "As you command, My Lady."

Feteran detailed two men to ride back to the other farm. After they set off the rest of the party dismounted and settled their beasts in nearby pasture. Garia gingerly investigated the house, finding it dark, damp and musty. The absence of a woman's touch was plain. The girl and boy appeared, looking at her with astonishment. They had never seen a woman who rode or carried weapons. Right at the back of the single room lay an old man, his body frail with age.

Brandar nervously led Garia to him. "Grandfather, this is Lady Garia. She is the new liege of Blackstone, if you can believe such a thing. My Lady, this is my grandfather Hamenar. If you would excuse him, My Lady, he cannot walk."

"New liege?" The old man spoke. "In our town? What happened to that other man? Is he gone?"

"Gone, Master Hamenar," Garia replied. "He was a bandit pretending to be the Duke's man. He caused a lot of trouble in the town. When we arrived at Blackstone there was a battle and he was taken captive. We gave him a proper trial and he was executed by hanging for a number of different crimes. You have no need to fear him any more." She forced a smile. The situation at this farm had been entirely unexpected and she felt keenly for the four remaining inhabitants. "Collect what you wish to take with you, I have instructed my men to make sure you are all taken to Brethen's farm for your own safety until we return. If you so desire you can come with us back to Blackstone. There was a pile of treasure left by Trogan which we are unable to return so we have set up a fund for the poor and deserving. You would certainly benefit from that money, I think."

The old man's eyes had flared at the mention of Brethen but he made no complaint at her instructions. With Brethen and Renys beginning to bundle up the things they would take away with them Garia returned outside to a scene of industry. The men had started two fires and begun to prepare food for their lunch. Toranar approached her.

"Milady, I hope we did right?"

"Absolutely. I mean, of course. Have we enough to feed these four as well?"

"I think so, milady. I will make sure that enough is prepared for all."

"Good." She scowled. "What a mess."

"Milady?"

She gestured. "These people. They live about a mark and a half from kinfolk but they don't speak to one another. The poor man's wife died and nobody back there knew about it or even cared. I don't understand these people."

"I know what you mean, milady. Country folk can be strange, sometimes. Living in the palace we forget how hard life can be out here."

"You got that right."

The two men came back just as lunch was ready. With them were Brethen and Denesar, both mounted and leading two other frayen. Brethen dismounted and stood facing Brandar, neither saying anything.

"I don't care what it is between you two," she told them, "but this farm is finished. Brethen, you are to take the four people left here back with you and look after them, understand? We'll be back tomorrow or the next day and we'll call at your farm to figure out what to do with them. If you can resolve your differences, or make a truce, or whatever, then fine. If not, then just keep quiet and get on with it. I'm not about to leave four of my people out here to starve and die, understood?"

Brethen turned to Garia. "The quarrel is not ours, milady, but of our father's time and perhaps beyond. We only did what our fathers bid us do. I will take these people in, they are kin. It may not be easy, though. Four people? Brandar, what of your grandfather?"

"He lives," Brandar said, "though my wife does not. He cannot walk or climb on any beast, though."

"Kathena is dead? I did not know. Cousin, we have kept ourselves apart too long. We were not there for your need. Your grandfather, we will find some way to carry him. Have you beasts?"

"No. The tax assessor's men took the frayen. We still have pakh but they are scattered on the hills. I cannot manage this place without... Kathena."

"No beasts? And Kathena dead... Maker! There has been much ill done in this place. And we did not know any of it!" He shook his head, turning to Garia. "Milady, it is time these wrongs were put right. I shall look after these people, they are kin whatever has happened in the past. You can rely on me."

"I had better," she said, looking Brethen in the eye. "I get that people might argue with one another and that you might not even like each other, but when it comes to people dying because of some stupid disagreement, that's taking a feud too far, I think. Now, my men are preparing enough lunch for all of us, so sit yourselves down and start finding out what's been happening to each other all these years."

The two men bowed low, Brethen's son following moments later.

"As you command, milady," Brethen told her.

Everybody gathered around the two fires. By unspoken agreement Feteran, Yarling and their armsmen took one fire while the rest sat round the other. Hamenar, still in his bed, was brought out and placed in the ring to join them taking food. He looked at Brethen and Denesar from beneath lowered brows but made no comment.

The meal was just the usual trail lunch of bread, cheese, meats cooked over the fire and a little fruit. Brandar was unable to contribute very much but some berries from bushes in their neglected kitchen garden and some leaves of pel which made a very strong-tasting beverage.

During the meal Brethen and Brandar talked in low voices together, bringing each other up on events of recent times, Denesar occasionally joining in. But Denesar's eyes were usually to be found on Renys, who had just reached the age where interesting things would start happening to her body. Despite living barely a mark apart it appeared that he had not seen her for many years.

Renys's eyes, however, were fixed on Garia. Garia thought this was to be expected and gave her encouraging smiles throughout the meal. It seemed that the interest Renys showed her was not all hero-worship, though, as she came to Garia at the end of the meal, while the men were clearing everything away.

"Milady," she began tentatively, "I don't know how to ask this of you. Do you perhaps know someone with the art of healing? Is there any like that in Blackstone?"

Garia nodded. "There are healers in Blackstone, good ones. What's the problem? Is it your... great-grandfather?"

Renys looked troubled. "It is me, My Lady. Uh, my Mommy fell sick and died... and I think I have the same thing."

Garia's eyebrows rose. "What makes you think - uuh, wait. Feteran, Jenet and I are going to take Renys here round the side of the house to have a private talk."

Feteran nodded. "As you wish, milady." He detailed two men to stand where they could see the women but out of earshot.

Garia, Renys and Jenet walked to the side of the house out of the main area of bustle and men.

"Now, Renys. Tell us what's wrong."

"Well, I'm not sure what it is made my Mommy sick but father said it was to do with... down there. Just this last few days I have had pains down there and I found blood. Oh, My Lady, am I going to die like Mommy?"

Heart sinking, Garia took a good look at Renys. She was still very young, completely undeveloped. Perhaps her mother never had a chance to..?

"Renys, did your mother ever talk to you about Kalikan? It has a very special effect on women."

"Kalikan? Why, she talked about Kalikan coming to her... but I never understood what she meant about it. Why?"

Garia and Jenet looked at each other.

"Do you think she never had the talk?" Garia asked her maid.

"She is of an age, milady, yet has the body of a girl. Perhaps her mother became ill before she could teach her the way of Kalikan." Jenet gave Garia a regretful smile. "I do not think any of the men would know how to explain to this maiden what will happen to her body."

"In this day and age? I wouldn't think so, Jenet. Renys, listen to me. You might find this a very strange thing for me to tell you, but what you are feeling is completely normal for a woman. Your body is changing from that of a girl to that of a woman. Do you understand me? Soon, if you haven't already, you'll start growing breasts like we have. Every woman has breasts, don't they? Well, every woman also has the Call of Kalikan, when unpleasant things might happen down below."

"Growing breasts? Like Mommy had? I know my chest has been itchy, I thought that was vermin in the bedding. But... blood?"

Garia sighed. "Renys, I'm really not the best person to be explaining all this to you, and I'd like to take the time to help but we really can't. You must go with Brethen and ask his wife to tell you everything you need to know. As for the blood, well, it's messy, it's smelly, it can be painful, but it is your sign that your body is able to make babies. Just remember that, in the years to come."

"But... babies, My Lady? Like Mommy?" Renys was suddenly thoughtful.

Garia asked Jenet, "Is she going to be all right until she gets there, do you think? Do we have to lend her some underclothes or pads?"

Jenet thought. "Milady, I think she should survive the walk to the other farm. Once Mistress Rathina has spoken to her she will take her in hand, I doubt not."

"Right, then. Let's go back and terrify the men."

Garia strode back to the fires with Renys by her side and Jenet trailing.

"Brethen! Brandar! Please come over here!"

Feteran turned. "Milady? Is there some problem?"

"There is, Commander, but it concerns female matters."

Feteran backed away, making a sign to the men. Brethen and Brandar cautiously approached Garia and bowed.

"Yes, milady?"

"Brandar, your daughter has just started her first Call of Kalikan," Garia announced.

The two men blanched, the armsmen who had overheard put some distance between themselves and the group.

Garia continued, "I know this is a bad time for you, especially after her mother died, but she needs the advice and reassurance of an adult woman right now. For various reasons I'm afraid that can't be me. Brethen, take Renys to your wife the moment you get back to your farm and mention Kalikan. She should take care of the rest."

Trembling, Brethen bowed. "As you command, milady." The glance he gave Renys was full of sympathy.

Brandar said, "My Lady, I did not know how to deal with this. I know that it comes to women but it is all a mystery to me."

"I understand, Brandar. You've had much else to occupy your mind recently. But your daughter's body has begun to develop and nothing will stop that happening. She needs help, and she needs it now."

"As you say, My Lady. I will make sure she gets the help she needs."

"Good. Then let's pack up here and go our different ways."

By re-rigging the harness of the four frayen a way was found for them to each support a corner of Hamenar's bed. Everybody else, apart from the young boy, would have to walk, but it was only a mark's distance of easy country. Some carried bundles of clothing. A few small items, mostly of sentimental value rather than monetary, went in a small sack which was tied to one of the frayen. Garia and her men watched them set off.

"You did well there, Garia," Keren said as he came to stand by her. "This could have been difficult but both parties appear to have agreed not to make a fight of it."

"I didn't do very much, did I?"

"You'd be surprised. Sometimes these rural feuds can get very bitter and last for centuries. I've stood and watched my father try to end some of them and it can get very unpleasant, even with the King threatening both parties. With any luck we should find some kind of truce between these people when we call there on our way back."

"I hope so. I just did what I thought necessary."

"And that is the mark of a good ruler, Garia. Or at least, so I am told."

"If you say so. I noticed you stayed well clear?"

"These are your lands, Garia. You must learn to administer them as you think best. That is the only real way to learn. If you wished advice or help, you know I would always be nearby to offer it, but I would not have you rely on me for every decision."

"You're right again, Keren," she said with a smile. "I have to learn how to make my own decisions sometime."

"So far I've seen nothing to worry me."

"I'm glad to hear it." She glanced up at the sun. "And we'd better be on our own way, don't you think? We want to get as far as we can before we have to camp for the night."

"Aye. By my reckoning we still have some marks to go."

~o~O~o~

Stott held up his hand and the company stopped instantly. He turned, came back and spoke to Feteran in a low voice. Feteran beckoned to D'Kenik and the three went into a huddle. Finally Stott and D'Kenik dismounted, Stott collected his bow and quiver and the two set off on foot. Feteran came back to report to Garia and Keren.

"Highness, Milady, Stott reports a flock of ganifil in the rough ground ahead. He thinks to supplement our provisions since we have used of our supplies to feed others at the two farms."

"What are ganifil?"

"A kind of avian, milady. About so big, usually." Feteran held his hands about a foot apart. "We have eaten them at table, milady."

"Feteran, you know as well as I do that I couldn't tell you what most of what I eat is, especially when it is cut up and covered with some kind of sauce. Is it like a..." Garia cast her memory back. "...a brifil, perhaps?"

Feteran nodded. "Aye, milady, very like. I do not know how many he has seen or how easy it will be for him to shoot them. All we may do is wait for them to come back."

"Very well. Let's dismount, stretch our legs and have a drink, then, while we're waiting."

It didn't seem very long at all before Stott and D'Kenik returned, each carrying two ganifil by the neck. Even Feteran showed surprise how quickly the hunt had been achieved.

"He is very clever, sir," D'Kenik said. "He used but seven arrows to bring these four down, and without scaring away the flock while he did it."

Stott looked smug. Feteran stared at him and at the avians.

"Stott, you do know that you'll have to gut and clean those before we can eat them?"

"Aye, sir. That won't take me long, once we get our camp set up. I might pick up some herbs along the way, if that's all right, sir."

"Very well. But remember, you're supposed to be leading the party. I don't want us to get attacked just because you spotted some herb and got distracted."

Stott grinned. "I'm not stupid, commander. Not with His Highness and Her Ladyship in our party."

"As you say. Mount up and let's get going again. The sun is westering and the day won't last forever."

"Aye, sir."

The landscape was becoming flatter and flatter the further east the company rode. Yarling pointed out to them when they went over the highest of the coal seams and then they were in a high moorland, the gently undulating ground broken only by groups of large sandstone boulders fallen from the capstone layer. Feteran was very suspicious of these at first but then realized that a suitable configuration might be the best place for a camp.

"If we can find a group of boulders with a large enough space at their center," he explained, "it would be easier to defend than if we camped out in the open. Such a place might also give us shelter if it rains or becomes windy."

Garia pointed. "Like those, you mean?"

"Aye, milady, though there would not be enough room for our beasts as well. The group yonder may be more suitable for a party of our size."

The rocks he indicated were half a mark's ride away, and as they approached Garia could see that the boulders had fallen in a large oval formation. Feteran headed for the rocks.

"Looks good, commander," Garia said as they approached.

The boulders were about man-height and spaced so far apart that the narrowest gap would have let a wagon through. Nevertheless Feteran declared himself satisfied.

"What about the ridge?" Garia asked, aiming a thumb up the slope.

"It is at least a mark away, milady, perhaps two on this gentle slope. If anyone comes from that direction we should have sufficient warning. Highness, will this meet your approval?"

"Aye, commander." Keren dismounted, stretching his legs. "Let's get our camp set up, the light will soon be gone."

The frayen were all unloaded, packs and saddles removed, so that only their halters remained. They were then taken out to be picketed while the camp was set up. Two men, grumbling, were picked by lot to dig a latrine and set up the screens, some way from the boulder ring. Another two were sent down to the stream to collect skins of water for cooking. Stott began the process of gutting and butchering the avians while others made up a central fire. Garia and Jenet picked a large boulder to set their packs and blankets against and then sat watching the almost magical way in which the others organized the camp without more than the odd word being spoken.

Garia sighed, but this time with happiness.

"Milady?"

"I like doing this, Jenet. I don't care if we get cold at night or the food is underdone or burnt, there's something about camping out in the wild that makes me feel so... content, I suppose the word is. I used to enjoy doing this on Earth every chance I had, which unfortunately was only once a year. I hope that we can do some more camping in the future, that we can get time off from all the work that the guilds and questors will want me to do. This is just what I need to relax myself, recharge my batteries."

Jenet had seen just enough of Garia's electrical experiments to understand what the phrase "recharge batteries" meant, so was diplomatic to say only, "As you say, milady."

"Oh! I'm being selfish again, Jenet! Do you mind coming out here like this?"

"A servant must go where her master or mistress goes, milady. But... if you ask for my personal preference, I would prefer not to be too far from a clean bathroom, toilet and kitchen. I do understand why you might wish to come away from those who require your decisions, your commands or your signatures."

"Oh, yes! It's only going to get worse, you know. I really didn't know what I was letting myself in for, did I? Still, I should have considered your needs more when we planned this trip. My apologies, Jenet."

"Milady, it is not so bad so far. We have had good weather, there have been no bandits or wild animals and we have enough provisions for almost a week. We are taken care of by men experienced in expeditions like these. I do not think that this journey will cause me much discomfort, milady."

Keren, Michen and Feteran came to join them.

"Milady," Feteran began, by way of a report, "the camp is established and we have begun preparing the evening meal. The latrine is ready should you need it and the other enclosure is there if you or Jenet desire to change. After we have finished eating we will have to bring the frayen inside the circle before we prepare ourselves for the night. I would ask you not to venture too far, as you can see, the light is fading."

Garia looked up to see the last rays of the sun making an orange glow over the hills in the direction they had come.

She nodded. "As you wish, commander." She switched her attention. "Master Michen, how far are we from the end of the vale, do you think?"

"Perhaps a mark, milady, perhaps a mark and a half. As you can see, the valley is so shallow it becomes difficult to say where one ends and another begins. In this terrain, it will take us no longer than a bell, I deem, to ride to the ridge ahead of us and back to this camp."

"Good. I want to do that tomorrow. I want to see what's over the edge, get an idea of what lies to the east. Oh, and the south as well. I'm guessing Master Yarling will end up putting mines in the next valley as well, won't he?"

"I have not his art, milady, but I would be surprised if the coal does not flow under these valleys into others. If that is so, then others will desire a share of the wealth."

"I'm already thinking about that, Master Michen. I don't want to start a war with anyone but just the same I don't want rogue miners causing trouble either."

"I leave the politics to others, milady, but you are right."

Keren said, "Once we get home again we are going to need a long, hard talk with father. It is just as well, perhaps, that Malann married into the Vardenale royal family."

The last rays of the hidden sun disappeared and the heavens revealed themselves to the company. There were, of course, no lights in any direction except for the camp fire and so the stars stood out hard and bright all around them. The Veil appeared as the twilight faded, now in the west and about to follow the sun below the horizon, but for the time being it made a glorious sight in the sky.

"Keren."

"Aye, Garia?"

"On Earth, we began to light our homes, towns and cities as soon as we could. Electric light is easy to put up and means that our time awake each day extends well into the evenings. But we made a big mistake."

"Oh? I find the idea of lit buildings and streets interesting."

"It is! But lighting the world up was so cheap we didn't give a thought to what we were doing to the sky, Keren. The glow from our cities and roads blinds us to the kind of sights that are normal here. Promise me that when we introduce electric lighting here we'll make sure to leave our skies dark. Everybody on Anmar deserves to be able to see that in their sky." She pointed to the Veil.

"Aye, I cannot disagree, Garia."

The avians, while of modest size, each provided a meal for three people and tasted absolutely delicious. Stott's use of local herbs gave the meat a flavor Garia had never experienced before and she was delighted by the meal. With the others they gathered round the fire and told each other stories while munching fruit and drinking pel.

Keren and Feteran escorted Garia and Jenet for their last visit to the latrine for the night. As they walked back, she asked Keren, "Have you thought any more about our problem?"

"Aye, I have," he replied. "I cannot see there is any way to keep us apart, Garia." He put his arm around her waist. "It is now clear to me that we are meant to be together and that will be my aim as it is yours."

Her mouth was dry. "What about your father?"

She felt his shrug. "He will do whatever he decides is best for the kingdom, Garia. If that means I do not become King, so be it. If it means that other countries protest, so be it. I have made my decision, let others make theirs."

She snaked her arm under his and round his waist, so that she snuggled under his arm. This was right. They reached the circle of stones and selected a spot to sit out of earshot of the others. Feteran and Jenet walked a little further and sat between them and the men to provide privacy.

"If you are not King, who is eligible? Elizet? Malann?"

"No, neither of those can rule Palarand since they are married into other families now. No, I think it would be Uncle Gil if anything happened to father and then Terinar after him." He was silent for a moment, then, "Would you mind, if I gave up the throne or was made to?"

"No," she whispered. "I will follow you anywhere, my love. I love the man, not the Kingdom."

"Oh, Maker! I know you do, just as I love you. I wish that I had never been born Prince, to have such a decision to make."

She smiled in the darkness, not caring about the tears of happiness running down her cheeks.

"You will always be my Prince, whatever happens to us in the future."

She pulled his head down to kiss him. The kiss was different, since they both knew that they were bound to each other now, whatever others might decide. The Veil had long departed the sky before they separated, each to their own sleeping spot.

up
372 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I used to be strong

and now I know I am not.
I only managed 38 seconds before diving into this, the latest episode of a brilliant story.
My heart's all aflutter now G and K have got so together.
But we know that the intriguing (as in someone who creates intrigue) Fikt (if memory serves) is lurking somewhere.
Oh, I already need my next fix of SEE.

Thank you for such a wonderful ride.

When's the next coming?

I must have some more, I must have some more. I must have some more.

From the greatest Garia-oholic.

Julia.

thank you again..

Tanya Allan's picture

.. only, could you please write quicker and produce one of these every day, no, twice a day?

Seriously, thanks for my weekly (?) fix. bring on the next one... You really should publish this, it's great!

Tanya

There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!

Wonderful

This is another wonderful chapter to this marvelous Epic. Thank you for writing it and sharing it with us all.

May you be blessed.

Briar

Meeting the two Families

and their history shows that the People on both planets have similar foibles. But wonder how the King and Queen will react to the choice made by Garia and Keren.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

On the surface it looks like Durko is in on it.

It makes sense as somebody had to have sabotaged those wagons they were in traveling to Blackstone.

OTOH he could have been kidnapped and forced to give intelligence.

We'll know soon enough.

The King will now be in a very awkward situation to decide what to do. If he breaks tradition and let Keren marry and still be crown prince then he will have to find some way to justify it to the kingdom I guess.

I liked the way the character of this countryside is presented with these rural farm folks.

It is clear the latter farmer will need to move into town to live.

It is also quite startling to see that Garia can pretty much move those living in Blackstone wherever she wants without a by your leave if she has to. A far cry from modern civil government that is for sure.

Oh and it looks like Stott will have a big role to play in what we surmise may be powder weapons.

Finally I know that Garia's men wear her colors and am probably camouflaged well but I wonder if the Royal guardsmen is as well hidden.

Kim

we knew one of th guardsmen was in on it.....

..... 'cos Fikt told him to scarper the night before. But how many does F have in his band?
And how many wagoneers have been suborned?

I can't wait for the next one .....

I also feel that the intelligence and mental connections of the animals will have a role to play.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Snep persuades the baddies' frayen to defect .....
I also sort of remember that the dranakh showed some traits as well......

No more speculation from me, as it just reduces me to a quivering wreck as I crave my next fix.

Thanks again.

Wilder 'n' wilder

Although Durko isn't Fikt, he is a traitor and will, hopefully, be dealt with along with the shoemaker.

Weren't they supposed to be

Weren't they supposed to be keeping an eye on the wagoneers already since they were not verified to be on their side anyway? It seems to me that the first thing that they should do when they find out one of those that are a bit suspect is gone, is to add more guards to Garia's retinue, especially since she's been proven to be a desirable target for Yod to kidnap more than once.

Keren's decision is the right one for the kingdom, and I think the King and Queen knows this. It's the relations with their neighbouring nations that is the problem, and what treaties exist between them. In a way, I think that a war with Yod may be what makes those treaties malleable anyway, in another way, it maybe cause some of Palarand's allies to turn to the Yodlers side, if timed wrong. No matter what happens, I expect there to be fewer nations in the valley eventually, probably through either Yod occupying them or through them being made dutchies of Palarand.

Stott will probably pay a vitally important role in the upcoming events here. He knows how animals behave, and he will notice something is wrong as they come close to the ambush. I expect the Dranakh to be the ultimate saviours though. I fear we might not see the party come through this totally unscathed though. Fikt seems to have assembled a little too close in size force for that.

In terms of relations with other countries

... I think ultimately money talks.

Just think of the tremendous economic force Garia has just lit. Neighboring countries will be begging to be on their good side since with such wealth, Palarand can afford to have a very strong military and know if Palarand wanted to it can economically run them into the ground.

Alliances due to marriages are only needed if there is are weaknesses that need to be remedied or to maintain good relations for commerce and the like. Garia is a force unto herself and Palarand would well understand that and keep in HER good graces and with her help, who needs marriages of convenience of countries who want to keep in Palarand's good graces?

Kim

The traitor

I had already suspected that it was either Jarrin or Durko to be the traitor now we know. I also suspect that the ambush site is going to be the narrow pass that they had to go through single file. I suspect that the Yodian group did not go ahead of Garia's party because there is no way that they could have not been noticed by the Brethen household. It is also a military axiom to ambush a patrol when they are returning to their base because that is usually when they are least alert.

Edit: Gazetteer has been updated with all new information.

Thanks, Payter

...for updating the Gazetteer, which I am using almost every day now.

You missed a couple clues, though, about what might be coming next. Although, to be fair, most commenters have worked at least the basic details out.

Penny

I have longed for this moment!

This is such a lovely tale and a wonderful ending to this chapter. Thank you so much.

You bring light to my day.

Gwen

Exploring

So the explorations of Garia's lands continue - and more outcrops of the coal seam can be seen. It doesn't surprise me that two neighbouring families refuse to speak to each other because of a dispute some of their ancestors had - a dispute so long ago no-one can remember what the dispute was about...

Meanwhile, it seems as though there hasn't been any comprehensive exploration of the land yet, given the various "No-man's land" valleys. The catchment rule seems logical, and theoretically with further exploration, it should be possible to determine which valley(s) the stone sea drains into; alternatively annexation could possibly be agreed upon by liaision with the nearest neighbouring landowner(s).

Along the way, we're reminded of how relatively recent the common English phrase "recharge your batteries" is, and Feteran's already sized up the most likely ambush spot. As others have speculated, Stott's bowmanship skills may prove useful on the return journey...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

The Stone Sea

I don't think I'm giving away anything of significance here, but where the rainfall drains into the Stone Sea, it is more likely that the underground rivers so formed would drain to the north (north-east, north-west...) than to the south.

To the south is the high land which forms the northern edge of Palarand, Vardenale and other Valley countries. To the north, the Stone Sea slowly shelves down to savannah, then jungle, then an Amazon-like tropical river.

To the east, the mountains are higher until we reach the coast at Chaarn, at the extreme northern edge of Vardenale. To the west, the Stone Sea/Savannah gradually becomes barer and drier and forms the edge of an interior desert - across which the Sirrel flows, in the manner of the Congo looping into the Sahara at Timbuktu.

None of the above has any relevance to the plot! But it's still all there wedged into my brain. I must tell you about the West Coast some time :)

Penny

Early Warning System

terrynaut's picture

I like how Garia took charge and forced the two families together. And I love how she mentioned terrorizing the men with talk of Kalikan. Heh.

Still no sign of Fikt. I expect Snep will smell the malodorous man well in advance so they won't be taken by surprise. Until then... go Snep!

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

As much as I like Snep

... I still have to vote for the Dranakh to play the role of spoiler.

I think Garia has a relationship with them now as she has directly interacted them by acknowledging one of them as an individual and may be on the wavelength a bit better.

I doubt that there is much fikt can do against a herd of angry Dranakh.

Kim

Frayen and Dranakh

Garia spend most of her time with frayen, especially Snep, so we've seen more of her sometimes personal relationship with what are the common riding animals of Alaesia.

Her interactions with dranakh are fewer simply because they are customarily draft beasts and when not doing their duty are permitted to do their own thing. She's had some glimpses that they may be more than "just dumb beasts".

Actually, most dumb beasts are anything but. We all know of dogs that we could swear are more intelligent than we are and among most other species there are some that are much brighter than average. Sheep are often portrayed as thick as two short planks but give them a puzzle to solve and most will figure out a way round it - and then get stuck in the garbage bin, but that's another matter.

As for the animals Garia is familiar with, they will play an important part in the coming chapters.

Penny

Another good chapter.

Glad to read that Garia is continuing in the humanitarian mould. Things can only get better for Blackstone with her at the helm. Thanks for another excellent chapter Penny,

XX

Bevs.

bev_1.jpg

Passing shops

"Well I was out cycling and there was this shop ... and well ... you know how it is"

Don't I just! Although, when I used to cycle regularly, the shops that tended to pull us in were cake shops. Just as well we put in the mileage, otherwise the saying would be: "Assume a spherical cyclist"!

Penny

Yay! I'm so pleased they have

Yay! I'm so pleased they have come to a decision, here hoping the king and queen agree. Looking forward to more.

I can't wait till they get back to Palarand so we can see Robinar and Tery's reaction. Also maybe Garia should draw pland for a wheelchair.

Big hugs.

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Terrif chapter though ominous clouds lurk. And my PC is ailing

Beyond her mending the feuding families and the hints she or her staff are getting of who might be traitors we have something HUGE!

KEREN has told Garia in no uncertain terms THEY MUST be one. And he would choose her over his kingship. He understands his duty be sees he cannot do it without her. His not interfearing with how she handled the feuding faamilies show he trusts her judgement and sees her as both his love, his future and his equal as a ruler.

THAT is huge.

Hope the pea coat and how it limited her access to her weapons was not a clue.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. I am having great trouble with my computer. Bad drivers, failing hardware of malware, not sure yet.

I had to borrow The Evil Blond TM's laptop.

So I may not be active here all that much for a while...

"And there was much rejoycing"

John in Wauwatosa

Yes!

Keren and Garia finally committed themselves to each other. About time, too! Garia has again shown that she will be a good, compassionate ruler as she has shown that she can be hard when that needs to be done. All around a good chapter in that it reinforced the image Garia has already, and cemented the love between her and Keren.

Maggie

Great Chapter!

What a nice chapter. Heading out to inspect the lands, bringing a family back together, enjoying the night sky and finally realizing that she and Keren belong together whether Keren becomes King or not by his own decision and her agreement.

The next chapter should prove interesting though what with an attack coming? I think that those who are about to make the attempt at an attack is in for one big surprise though, hmmm! Someone seems to be VERY good with a bow!

Vivien

Ambush

I hope the ambush with the new weapons goes poorly and I wonder what the King and Queens reactions will be to the news.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Unmindful

Jamie Lee's picture

Everyone has gone stupid in believing Garia will be safe in Blackstone after three attempts to kidnap, or kill, her. They think no one noticed their travel to Blackstone, and they can handle any problem with those living in Blackstone who object to Garia being the new liege.

They think because they are out in the middle of nowhere they are safe, but because they've not kept tight vigils the entire time they've been in Blackstone, they are about to get into another pickle.

Neither Gil or Robanar know what is happening in their own realms, and as a result, they've people from, maybe Yod, running around at will.

If they make it through this up coming pickle, it may be time for Garia to mention secret agents who work for the King and have his authority to deal with any problems, anywhere in his realm, which come in from other realms.

Others have feelings too.