A Winter Mission

Printer-friendly version

In the Duchy of Joth, a Tenant wakes in the night... his visitor has an urgent request.

grakh on parchment

A Winter Mission

A Tale of Anmar by Penny Lane


This short story will form the prologue to 'Return to Anmar'. Planning is well under way but it may be a while before any further chapters are published.


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2022 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



The distinctive tinkle of glass ball falling into metal dish woke Maralin. It was still dark, the middle of the night. Kalikan was not about but there was just sufficient light from Annis to make out his sleeping chamber, everything as it should be. He lay there for some time, wondering if he had misheard while he was half asleep, but inside he knew that he had not.

As quietly as he could, he pulled back the bedclothes and rose, trying not to disturb his wife sleeping in the other half of the bed. Renita had apparently heard nothing and slumbered on, unconcerned, their child-to-be not yet showing beneath the rumpled bedclothes. He gazed down fondly at her before recalling his purpose and finding his winter slippers. With a last look at her he moved silently to the doorway and opened it, letting himself into the corridor beyond.

Outside there was a certain amount of light from a night lantern at the center of the long passageway. Maralin walked to the end and slipped quietly down the stairs, to be met by the night watchman at the bottom. The man-at-arms straightened and saluted.

"Sir," the man said softly. "Trouble sleeping?"

"Perhaps," Maralin reassured him with a smile. "I'll sleep better when I can empty this bladder."

The man grinned. "I know what you mean, sir. Better out than in."

"Any problems tonight?"

"Dead quiet, sir. Will you be going straight back to bed?"

"Depends. What time is it?"

"Around the twelfth bell, sir. Breakfast in about two bells or so."

Maralin nodded. "Later than I thought. I'll think about it. Now, if you'll excuse me?"

"Of course, sir."

Maralin walked through the mansion until he came to the bathing and toilet facilities. In the rebuilt home of Duke Wallesan the opportunity had been taken to use more stone, so there was no need now to walk across an open courtyard as had been necessary at some of the other places he had stayed. The new building could still catch fire, it was true, but the damage would be much less than with an all-wooden construction.

He let himself into an end cubicle and closed the door, turning to lower the lid on the new-fangled toilet seat. Making himself as comfortable as he could on the lid, he spoke softly.

"Senusret. I am here."

In front of him a faint glow appeared, which brightened until it was sufficient to make him squint. Despite this, he knew that the apparent brightness was mostly because his eyes had adapted to the dark and that his visitor was actually being careful not to let the light be noticed outside the toilet block. In the glow, a figure out of myth and legend solidified.

"Greetings, friend Maralin. At first I was not sure if you had heard the signal or not."

Maralin snorted. "I think I would wake up to that sound even if I were dead, Senusret. You're back from Earth, then? Does that mean that Garia is returning soon?"

"Indeed it does, my friend. I will tell you now that the plan was mostly successful so you may cast that worry aside. We have already begun to synthesize a new body and it will soon be ready for delivery."

"Mostly successful?"

"During her stay on Earth there were some problems of an emotional nature, it seems. This is the main reason that I have decided to make a minor change to her delivery arrangements." Maralin caught an element of nervousness from the glowing Being. "Um. There have also been certain complications resulting from the transfer. I want you to be there when she arrives."

"Me? You mean, you want me to go to Palarand?"

"Just so. Although she will awaken among friends I believe that your presence, as someone who has made the same journey, will be of great assistance. I have not used the prediction machinery - there is insufficient time - but I believe that your Duke will permit your journey."

"But it's the middle of winter! I'm not sure what travel will be like, especially having to cross the Sirrel several times. And just before Midwinter's night, as well. Is there time for me to stay for that?"

"Regrettably not, my friend. Garia will be delivered in seven days time."

Maralin pursed his lips. "You ask a lot - but you have probably already checked what will happen -"

"I have not, Maralin. Not this time. I have only recently returned myself and we have all been very busy... preparing... for the delivery. The circumstances are, as you know, unusual and it required the attention of all of us who tend this world, and others. This is the first opportunity I have had to visit you, hence the unfortunate time of night."

"Oh. Aye, you said before. Look, I'll speak to the Duke as soon as I can this coming morning, all right? Is there anything I should take with me?"

"I can think of nothing specific apart from yourself. When you arrive, say nothing to those there about what will happen, even those who know of me. You will, of course, take the usual precautions when traveling?"

"Naturally. Oh - could I take Renita?"

"I see no reason why you should not, Maralin. The offspring she bears will not be born for many months, will it?"

"No, she's at about the safest stage for travel, as it happens, and it might be the only chance she will have for some years. How long do you think we'll be away?"

"Perhaps a month. I do not think you would be required any longer."

"Done, if my Duke agrees. Now, if you would excuse me, I do have a pressing need to satisfy."

"Ah. Your body wants to expel liquids, I believe. Very well, I will withdraw now. I will visit you again, probably just before Garia will be delivered."

The glow faded and Maralin stood, turned, and lifted both lid and seat.

* * *

"You look pre-occupied, Maralin."

Maralin looked up from his breakfast remains. "Aye, Your Grace, I am. Um, if I may speak with you privately after we rise? A certain problem has come up again."

Wallesan's eyebrows rose but he nodded. "As you wish, Maralin. I trust it will not take too long? You know I have a public audience this morning."

Maralin thought. "It shouldn't take too long, Your Grace, but you might wish to find some time later to think about what we have to discuss."

The Duke nodded. "Very well. We'll go to my study."

Once the tables had been cleared, Maralin followed Wallesan along the corridor to his private study. Both found seats in front of Wallesan's writing desk.

"What is it? Has she returned?"

"Aye, Your Grace. As far as Anmar, at least. Senusret woke me last night to inform me. Her new body is already being prepared."

The Duke shuddered. "I do not think I will ever get used to that, Maralin. To think they treat our bodies in such a fashion!"

"It isn't really that bad, Your Grace. In many respects, in fact, it is probably little different than Renita's pregnancy, except -"

"Except that it is much faster, it is done by a machine, and the person is born already adult, knowing our Valley tongue and with all their previous memories already in place! Aye, it may be a kind of birth but..." Wallesan shook his head. "Mayhap it is one of those things I would have preferred not have known about."

"As you say, Your Grace. It is probably what you are familiar with. On Earth, we have a tradition of fantastic stories set in places and times we imagine the future might be like, so in some respects we can accept the possibility of machines like those the Beings use. Now Senusret did have one request, Your Grace, and that is that I should travel to Palarand to be there when Garia arrives."

"He wants you to go? Any special reason? Is there something in the future that requires your presence, do you think?"

"Not at all, Your Grace. In fact, it sounds like it is something in Garia's past, her recent Earth past, which means that he thinks my presence there could be reassuring to her, as somebody who has made the same journey."

"Ah, I see. How soon would you need to leave?"

"Almost immediately, Your Grace. The delivery is set for seven days time."

Wallesan considered. "That would be just before Midwinter's Night, I deem. There is not usually much happening before the festival here that should concern you, although there is that business at the Gunnery School in the new year. How long would you be away? Do you yet know?"

"Senusret suggests no longer than a month, Your Grace, although of course the weather may make a difference for return travel. And, while I think about it, I would like to take Renita with me. She is in the easiest part of her pregnancy and it should be safe enough for her to travel to Palarand and back. It might be the only chance she has of visiting such a place before she has to concern herself with motherhood."

The Duke nodded thoughtfully. "As you say, Maralin. You have already considered your preparations?"

"Aye, Your Grace."

"You realize that if Renita joins you, you must needs take a carriage? Even if she could ride, I would not permit her to travel by frayen in her present state."

"Your Grace, I had not, but you are right."

"Further, if she is to travel with you, it would be unseemly for her not to have a maid. She is your wife, true, but a woman, alone, in a travel party..."

"Your Grace, forgive me, I should be familiar with the customs of the local states by now."

Wallesan nodded. "Very well, you may both go. You are right, before you depart I must think about your journey, there are a number of matters to consider. Have you yet selected an escort?"

"Aye, Your Grace, but I don't think I need to take a whole tensquad. Four should be enough. The roads should be very quiet this time of year."

"Indeed. Clear your needs with Captain Herrin and report to me before you leave."

"As you command, Your Grace."

* * *

Maralin entered the kitchen, his eyes roaming the busy chamber for his wife. The Head Cook saw him and smiled.

"Ho, Maralin! Have you come to show us some new dish today?"

Maralin chuckled back. "Not this time, Farren. I regret that I have come to take Renita away from you. I have urgent business which means I must travel away, His Grace has consented that Renita accompany me."

"Travel? Where? How long do you expect to be away, then?"

Maralin shrugged. "Palarand, to see the King. It could take us five days of travel, if not more. I could be away several weeks, which is why His Grace has permitted Renita to join me. It will be a chance for her to see somewhere new before the baby comes and our priorities have to change."

By this time Renita had joined the pair. "Where did you say we were going? When will we have to leave?"

Maralin turned to his wife. "Palarand, to take something to Robanar. I'm sorry, my dear, the journey is urgent, we must leave as soon as we have packed. Today, if possible."

Her eyes widened. "Today! Have you lost your -" She stopped. "It will not be so difficult, I suppose. How shall we travel?"

"His Grace offers us a carriage, he would not risk you on a frayen even if you knew how to ride one and the weather was good."

Farren looked at Maralin. "Well," he smiled, "you had best be off to do your packing, then. Renita, I'm sure that we can struggle on without your help."

"Flatterer," she smiled back at Farren. "Of course, once the baby came your kitchen would have collapsed anyway, would it not?"

"Aye, you have the right of it," the Head Cook agreed. "Maralin, shall you require any food for the road? How many will travel?"

"Us two, a maid, two coach drivers and four armsmen for our escort," Maralin replied. "As for food, it might be a good idea to take a small amount, the weather is very cold outside and we will be crossing the Sirrel almost immediately."

Farren nodded. "As you say. I'll make up some packs for you as standbys."

* * *

"Maralin."

"Aye, Your Grace?"

"I am glad to have caught you before lunch." The Duke smiled. "I regret that I must ask that you repack your bags for the journey, and those of your drivers and escort. As we discussed earlier, I have thought about your journey and reached certain conclusions. First, if you would, I would suggest that your whole party wear travelers' attire, that you might not be thought exceptional on the road."

Maralin nodded. "Aye, Your Grace, I intended to ask you about that over lunch. Were we part of your party, then of course we would wear the colors. To do so on our own would only raise unnecessary questions."

"Questions with no safe answers, I deem. The other point, as I mentioned earlier, is that your wife must needs have a maid with her. Do you have any preference?"

"Renita and I have talked about it, Your Grace, and if she could have Genna. The two are already friends and Genna has assisted the house healers in at least two births, so has some knowledge of the business."

"Done. Now, it would be unseemly for a servant to have a servant, as it were, so it appears that I must needs make Renita a freewoman. How say you?"

Maralin was taken by surprise. "Your Grace! I never thought of that at all! Renita will be pleased. I cannot thank you enough, Your Grace."

Wallesan smiled again. "You have not yet thought it through completely, Maralin. If Renita is to be a freewoman, then of course her husband must have a suitable status as well, must he not? In fact, I have delayed consideration of your own rank for far too long. How say you now, Captain?"

"Your Grace! You should not! This is too much."

"Indeed it is not, Captain. You do a captain's work, you should have the rank that goes with it. Now, you have just time to inform your party of the change of details and then it will be time for lunch."

* * *

"I could send these by Messenger, but as you are traveling there anyway you ought to take them, to give reason for your journey." Wallesan handed over three packages secured by yellow ribbons. "I have another here for Bardanar, shall you deliver that as you pass?"

"Of course, Your Grace." Maralin thought. "If the timing is right, it might mean that we could stay overnight with the Duke. With your permission, of course."

"Bardanar knows who you are and what you are, Maralin. I do not think he will refuse you a bed, especially this time of year. Traveling in winter is hard enough as it is."

"As you say, Your Grace."

"I have here coin for your journey. Smordan accepts our Ducans so there is a bag of those -" the Duke handed over a small pouch, "- and Palarandi Crowns are spent freely in Brugan, so I am told. Here is some of those for the latter part of your journey." Another pouch, somewhat heavier. "Virgulend insists on Pikens so you'll need these." A third bag. "If there is any problem I'm sure you can find money-changers along the way. For your stay in Palarand, I have here a letter of credit for five hundred crowns, which should be ample. If you do require more, apply to our Resident. I think that should be all."

Maralin handed the packages to one of the men, who took them to the carriage to stow away. The coin bags he kept, to be secreted in their luggage at their first overnight stop.

"I cannot think of anything else, Your Grace."

"Then you must depart." Wallesan looked at the sky. "I deem you can easily make Thorn before sunset. Whether you can get a ferry before they cease for the night I do not know. Fare you well, Maralin, and all your party. The Maker grant you a safe journey."

"Thank you, Your Grace. With your permission?"

Wallesan nodded and Maralin saluted before turning to climb into the carriage. Once a servant had closed the door behind him, the driver clucked and the procession headed out of Joth for the Thorn road.

* * *

Maralin bowed. "Your Grace."

Bardanar held out a hand. "Welcome to the State House, Maralin. This is an unexpected pleasure."

"Thank you, Your Grace."

The two shook hands before Maralin turned. "If I may present my wife Renita."

Bardanar bent over Renita's hand. "Welcome to Brugan, my dear. You may learn what your husband does when he travels so far from Joth. Nothing you need worry about, I'm sure."

Renita nervously bobbed for the duke. "Thank you, Your Grace."

Bardanar turned again to Maralin. "I deem you travel to see Robanar, Tenant. Nothing else would cause you to leave a cosy home in the middle of winter."

Maralin coughed. "Actually, Your Grace, I am a Captain now. Aye, we travel to Palarand, though by my liege's command I carry packets both for the King and for you. Varren, the packet if you would."

Sarjant Varren came forward and stopped, saluted smartly in the Jothan fashion and then handed Bardanar the package which was in his left hand.

"My Lord."

"Thank you, Varren. Any trouble along the road?"

"Not so far, My Lord. The road houses and river hostels have been almost empty so close to Midwinter's Night."

"As I would expect." Bardanar looked keenly at Maralin. "An unusual time for any to travel, I deem. Anything I should be aware of? Some undercurrent of trouble, perhaps?"

Maralin shook his head. "Not that I know of, Your Grace." He paused to consider his words. "Briefly, Your Grace, I was asked to go to Palarand because of my Earthly origins. Word reached us that my specific expertise was required there."

"Ah, I see. You and your wife will dine with us tonight? I would value any news you bring from Joth and from further upriver."

"You are most gracious, Your Grace."

"Good. I hope that you will enjoy your rest tonight and when you depart tomorrow I will ensure that you are well provided for the remainder of your journey."

"Thank you, Your Grace."

* * *

"But it is so big! We have been driving through streets for almost a bell! How can a city be so large?"

Maralin smiled. "I must admit, the first time I came here I was as surprised as you are. The answer is that Palarand has wealth that Joth does not. That draws many people to come and earn a living here. You must also remember that Palarand is a lot bigger than Joth, which is essentially an island in the Sirrel. The part of Palarand which lies in the Great Valley is perhaps four times the size of Joth, and besides that they have the Palar valley which about doubles the land area."

"So big... my mind refuses to understand it."

"Do not concern yourself, Renita. You would understand if you could read the maps. The people here are the same you would find at home. Their coins look different but the clothes are much the same -"

"Not so, Maralin! I have seen styles on the streets here I have never seen before! And did you see those women riding, maids and all? So demurely attired, too. His Grace mentioned such a thing but I half thought he was joking. I know that Her Highness rode thus in Joth but I believed that to be a custom of her own people."

Maralin smiled again. "That is the influence of Garia, of course. It is regrettable that she will not be here to greet you. I told her about you when I was first introduced to her."

"Oh, such a sad story! Such an impossible romance, a royal wedding, and then to have her taken away again! I wonder that the Prince will ever recover."

Genna pointed through the other window. "Captain, what is that place?"

"That, Genna, is where we are going. That is the Palace of King Robanar. What you cannot see is that it goes back a long way, it is huge. It can be very easy to get lost in there, so be alert that we don't become separated. Until we have settled in nobody will know who we are or where our chambers are."

The carriage turned in through the wrought-iron gates into the front yard and pulled up at the steps to the front entrance. A servant ran down the steps and opened the door.

"After you, my dear."

Maralin ushered Renita out, followed by Genna and then himself. At the top of the steps Captain Merek awaited and Maralin gave a Joth-style salute.

"Welcome back to Palarand, Captain." At Maralin's look Merek explained, "Word of your promotion was sent ahead by semaphore from Brugan, and you have my congratulations. His Grace did not mention the purpose of your visit but then, there might be reason for it."

The two shook hands as Maralin replied, "As you say, sir. If I may introduce my wife, Renita, and her maid Genna."

"You are both welcome in the house of the King," he told the women. "We have a suite arranged for you all and no doubt Her Majesty will desire a friendly conversation with you in due course." To Maralin he asked, "What of your escort?"

"Sir, I have a carriage, two drivers, four armsmen and eight frayen. I am not really familiar with the customs of the palace so I cannot say what you would do with my men, but unless you know otherwise, I do not think we will need an escort while we are inside the building."

"Hmm. There will probably be one or two ceremonial occasions - you have all brought your colors, I deem? Good. Otherwise, if you permit, I can find them room at the rear, where we have quarters for visiting armsmen. They will be at liberty to come and go about the city at your preference."

"I have no wish to make my men's stay here any more boring than it has to be, sir. I have no objection to them exploring the city as the weather permits. If I might ask that they sometimes join your men at exercise, sir." Maralin grinned at remembered sessions in the past. "They may learn a thing or two."

Merek grinned back. "No doubt they will, Captain." He turned. "Temmen, take Maralin's men around to the visiting armsmens' quarters, would you? And see the carriage and frayen safely out of the weather. Oh, and have the Captain's belongings brought up to the Umber suite, if you would."

The guardsman banged his chest. "As you command, Captain."

Merek held out an arm. "If you and your wife would follow me, I will see you to your suite."

* * *

Terys immediately approached Maralin and Renita when they entered the Family Dining Room. As he was in 'civilian' clothes, he bowed while Renita curtseyed.

"Maralin, dear! So nice to see you again."

"Thank you, Your Majesty. As you know I do enjoy my occasional visits to Palarand. If I may introduce my wife Renita."

"You are welcome in our home, dear," Terys told her. "It may be a little bigger than you are used to but I'm sure you will soon settle in. Maralin knows how to summon help should there be any difficulty." The Queen's gaze narrowed. "You are with child, dear!"

Renita smiled. "As you say, Ma'am. It has only just begun to show. The healers estimate it is four months or so along."

Maralin explained, "I asked His Grace if Renita could come on this journey, as it would be relatively safe for her and she may not have another chance once the baby is born. I trust that I did not do wrong?"

"A good thought, dear, though perhaps traveling in the middle of winter is not what I would choose. Your journey, did you have any problems?"

"None, Ma'am, since there were few who choose to travel at this season and the roads were quiet. The weather co-operated as well."

Terys's gaze narrowed again. "I could ask just why you must needs come to Palarand in winter, and just before our Midwinter's Night, too, but I imagine that you will wish to speak to Robanar later about Wallesan's reasons for sending you to us."

"As you say, Ma'am."

"Well then. Let us enjoy lunch and speak of other matters. We but await the King before we sit."

Robanar arrived, having an intense discussion with Kendar before he spotted Maralin and broke off. The usual introductions were made.

"I did not expect to see you here before Spring Dawning, Captain."

"Your Majesty, there were specific matters which required my presence here. We came away from Joth at very short notice."

Robanar's eyebrows rose. "Ah? Then we will discuss such matters later."

"Sire, I have packets from His Grace, from His Grace Duke Bardanar, with whom we stayed on our journey, and also from Duchess Kasona. I do not believe there is anything you would consider urgent in them, though of course I do not know their contents."

"As you say." The King waved a hand. "Let us eat. I have spent much of the morning on constitutional matters and I am hungry."

Since most of those on the King's table knew that Maralin had arrived in much the same way that Garia had, most of the talk was with Renita and how she had viewed his arrival in Galdarin, shortly after Yod had taken Joth and thrown the inhabitants out into the winter cold.

"If I may ask," Maralin said after a pause in the conversation, "I do not see your son here nor do I see Her Highness. Is this a matter that should be spoken of at table?"

Robanar flipped a hand. "It is no great drama, Maralin. Keren presently resides at Blackstone House where Milsy attempts to teach him about some obscure new discovery of hers. He will return in a day or two, I am sure, since he knows that he will be needed for the Midwinter's Night festival. Eriana is in Sheldane with all her people, she has decided to enjoy the celebration with them at the new Naval facility." He grunted. "I am sure that you realize our numbers keep growing, aye, and we will soon be too many for the field. Eriana saw this and decided to start her own custom with those who will be part of the new Navy."

"Beer," Terys muttered. "And roast gavakhan. Most unseemly!"

Robanar glanced cautiously at his wife. "Ah, were we not so many I would have considered some changes to the custom, my dear, as you know."

She gave him a knowing smile. "The beer, you mean? And how sweetly would you have sung once the bells struck?"

"Aye, well, on second thoughts perhaps our customs are best left alone."

"As you say, dear."

There was much news of a lighter nature to be exchanged as the meal went on. It was apparent to Maralin that Robanar wanted to ask certain questions but was frustrated because he could not do so at table. There would be no way to satisfy him until after they had finished, so he asked the King about the new Navy project.

"Eriana has it all in hand," Robanar replied with an airy wave. "Of course, this is not the season for any action but there is sufficient planning to be done that the winter months will soon pass." His face assumed a long-suffering expression. "Then, I deem, I have no doubt that I will be asked for large amounts of coin to fund the new ships to be built. I sometimes wonder what would have happened had Garia not arrived to stir us all into action. Mayhap we would still spend the coin in time but when it would be more convenient to our treasury."

"I assume that all the new projects in the city are helping to fill your treasury, Sire?"

"Aye, they do, and I am amazed at it, Captain, but you should know that those same projects cause the coin to flow out of the treasury as fast as it flows in. I have no idea whether we are ahead or behind, if you understand me."

"I think that will always happen, Sire. Matters are little different on Earth."

Terys added, "Blackstone helps, dear. Without Milsy's own contributions I do not think we would be in a satisfactory position at all."

Maralin nodded. "I had forgotten Milsy. Has she produced any more inventions since I was last here?"

"You are asking the wrong person, dear! I do not understand almost anything she does or says these days. To think that she was a mere kitchen drudge! How can we all be so blind to what is in front of us?"

"Ma'am, you are venturing into philosophy now," Maralin murmured. "If I may plead ignorance of that subject."

"As you say, Maralin. Milsy has entered realms which even Questors prefer to avoid. However, I expect you will have time during your stay to pay Blackstone House a visit. If anyone may make sense of what she now does, it would be you."

"Of course, Ma'am."

* * *

Maralin settled into the comfy armchair and faced the King.

"Now we are private," Robanar commanded, "you may tell me what could not be said at table."

Maralin grimaced. "This is awkward, Sire. I have been given instructions that I should not say anything, even to you, and I may have caused a problem by saying even that much."

Robanar stared at Maralin and then grunted. "As you say. It is apparent to me where instructions such as those must needs have come from. Is there naught that you can say?"

He considered carefully. "I am here, Sire, because I was told that there may be specific need for my presence and, I believe, my Earthly experiences. I think that it might be possible for you to draw certain conclusions from that statement, but, thinking about it, the intent of those instructions is that everything in the palace should just continue as it normally would."

"I see. So, if indeed I were to draw any conclusions, I should keep them to myself, and furthermore, not to allow those conclusions to affect what I might or might not do in future."

Maralin's nod was emphatic. "Exactly, Sire. You know what forces we are dealing with."

"I wish I did, Maralin! A tiny corner of the veil has been lifted but no more. At least we few know more than the rest of Anmar. If you may tell me, then, how long do you expect your visit to Palarand to last?"

Maralin shrugged. "Perhaps no more than a month, Sire. Of course the winter weather may have a say in when we may return to Joth, as always. I would not like to stay here too much longer than that since it might introduce complications for Renita's pregnancy."

The King nodded. "Of course." A smile. "Your son or daughter could be born in Palarand, you know. If there is any law defining when and where a baby may appear, I do not know of it. Whatever one does, they seem to take no note of place or time, they simply appear when they are ready."

"Thank you, Sire, it may come to that. I know that you have excellent medical provision here and in the city."

"And we may call on Sheldane should there be particular difficulties. It is only a ride of a day and a half away, as you know, and of course the semaphore can summon help within minutes."

"Thank you, Sire."

"Tell me, when you see Renita blossom as she has, do you not wonder what your own circumstances might have been? My apologies if my question upsets you."

"Despite appearances, Sire, not every woman desires to have her own children. For myself, on Earth, I would of course have borne my own if my life had taken a different path. As it turned out a baby would have been the last thing I wanted or needed. Here I am a man and I feel very protective towards my wife and the child she carries. I do not know what either of us will feel like when that day comes but, Sire, you need have no fear that I will be disappointed. He or she will be ours and we will both cherish him or her as they grow."

"Well said, Maralin." Robanar considered before shaking his head. "I do not know what I expected from this meeting but it seems that I must wait impatiently just as everyone else in the palace is doing. If you did not know, there is a meeting in council for the last day of the year to consider what must needs be done should Garia not return. I gave an undertaking to Keren but the sands have almost run out of the dropper."

Maralin was put on the spot and considered very carefully before he answered. "Sire, you should have your meeting but I do not think that you will need to change anything."

A brief nod. "That is all I needed, Maralin. I understand all now." He rose and Maralin rose with him. "Come, let us join the ladies. I have no doubt that the Queen is regaling Renita with tales of her own children when very young, but they will be reassured by our presence."

"As you command, Sire."

up
187 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good start. Not too

Good start. Not too cliffhangery, but definitely lays some ground for later.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Yea!!!

Happy dance!!! Patience has proven worthy. My favorite universe
will soon again include some of my favorites!
Thanks
a

alissa

Yea!!!

Happy dance!!! Patience has proven worthy. My favorite universe
will soon again include some of my favorites!
Thanks
a

alissa

Yea!!!

Happy dance!!! Patience has proven worthy. My favorite universe
will soon again include some of my favorites!
Thanks
a

alissa

Yea!!!

Happy dance!!! Patience has proven worthy. My favorite universe
will soon again include some of my favorites!
Thanks
a

alissa

Anmar

Awesome I’ve wanted to see this part since I read somewhere else entirely. Taller I wonder if she is going to end up looking slightly different maybe even taller. The sheer number of things she is bringing is probably why there is not time to run the predictive machinery.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Well, according to Snep, she

Well, according to Snep, she just smelled different, which faded away. That would make sense as she switched from a pre-constructed body to one that ate normal foods. Those foods would change her odour.
(The auto correct wanted me to make that a pee-constructed body. I think that's a bit different.)

So, maybe a centimetre different, boobs bigger/smaller... Age may be set to her _original_ transfer age, or at least the age she "left". No point in re-transmitting the information, just to switch the chromosomes again.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

'appen

Maddy Bell's picture

we'll not need vitnary just wet nurse this time round!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Prayers do get answered!

I have been hoping Garia's return would be revealed and we could fill in the missing pieces. I know I am not the only one who loves the world you have created! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Wow

Such an unassuming title to a momentous chapter. The return of the princess with the knowledge of the ages. Keren Is going to be happy, Robanar Is going to need a bigger treasury, Milsey he’s going to See Documentation about things she dreamed of, the college will be in upheaval, society is going to have to cope and children. Oh my.

Further chapters

I am afraid that further chapters are likely to be a while. As I am presently trying to get this **** Viking longship and assorted extras up to Bibek I haven't been able to do much about Return to Anmar - some of which may depend on the conclusion to that tale, of course.

However, the muse does not let up, ever, and I have been surruptitiously slipped any number of weird and wonderful wrinkles for the folks in Palarand to puzzle over. I will write stuff as it occurs to me but I doubt that I will publish much until VotV is done or nearly done. That does give me the advantage that I can (in theory!) build up a buffer before I begin posting.

Of course, now is not the time of year to be writing. There's so much else to do. Still, I put in the work whenever I can manage it.

Penny

Just like Children

Teek's picture

You know, a muse insists on us authors to write what it comes up with, and just like children, stories ideas come when they come, on their own schedule, not ours.

Since you started this journey into Anmar's past, present, and future. You have always had multiple stories going at once. I would be shocked if you actually finished VotV before you started the Return to Anmar (RtA). Dream on. Your muse just doesn't let you work like that.

Reading through this post, it was a trial to see all the references to the main characters / stories you have in process. Placing this one in the future from all active stories does allow for some freedom, but will lead to challenges as all the stories get into alignment.

Love the Milsy references and how she is changing Anmar (culture, technology, education, and employment). Even better is that she was originally viewed as a nobody working in the kitchens. That fact will has just as big of an impact as her inventions.

I look forward to the next chapter (of whatever story your muse chooses to share with us).

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

A spoiler

It is very nice to know that we will see Garia's return. I had wanted to see that for a long time, and thought I never would.

Also, this gives us a spoiler for The Voyage of the Visund; we now know that Eriana will return well before Midwinter. That was always her schedule, but now we know that she will meet it, which does not always happen.

not really a spoiler, there

not really a spoiler, there was a stretch goal of making it back before the rains, but we already knew from JoB that didn't happen, the main unknown was, and still is, where she ended up staying during that time. Her task was to go at least as far as Bibek before returning, and for practical reasons, it would be preferred if she stayed in one of the federation member states during the rains, there's also a question of how practical it'd be to sail the Visund much further down river regardless, after the rains there would be demands on her time in Paraland, winter being a poor time to sail, but a perfect time for planning.

coin for ships

Yeah that's a challenge, perhaps going for a standardized general-purpose design to start with would be the way to go, they can't be built the same way as the Galleys, between sails and needing to flex with the waves. size is also a concern, they need to be able to manage months without resupply, to thwart the high fatality rate long journeys can have if the ships are too small, even when the ship makes it. They may not be ready yet for steel hulls (armor is optional at this point) but using steel for major structural elements would be advantageous, not to mention, it could be cheaper, as you dont need extra-large timbers,

These are river boats. They

These are river boats. They don't need to go months without supply. Even ocean going won't need months of provisions, because initially, they're going to be moving relatively close to home.

Not to mention that months of provisions is a LOT of space (tonnage and dunnage). They also have to get pressure canning up to speed, and that'll be more important for on land than on sea - it means more of the crops can be salvaged for over the non-growing seasons. (Even non-pressure canning will help, as long as the risks are known of not getting it perfect. )


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

the river fleet is accounted

the river fleet is accounted for, ocean fleet isn't. Still even several weeks is a lot of space, and they have to allow for sleeping abord ship, cooking, and possibly a boiler to help produce potable water.

the river fleet is accounted

the river fleet is accounted for, ocean fleet isn't. Still even several weeks is a lot of space, and they have to allow for sleeping abord ship, cooking, and possibly a boiler to help produce potable water.

One thing to keep in mind

One thing to keep in mind about ship timbers.

They can take decades to create.

Ship's knees, for example, were cut from specific parts of the oaks. Oaks that were trained by specialists over (usually) a 40 year period. That was one of the biggest bottlenecks for the British navy, (possibly the other countries around them) the limitation on how much timber they had ready for harvest to build a ship - especially if it was something like HMS Victory, a first rate of the line.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Ship materials

What you say is likely the present case, particularly where the existing galleys are concerned. However, most of the new build will either be some kind of metal construction - and probably not rivets! - or flat-bottomed craft like the Mississippi river steamers, built from planks.

We are going to jump right past the "wooden wall" stage to something more modern. I suspect we wouldn't be seeing any "dreadnoughts" either.

Penny

PS We visited Victory two weeks ago. With no rigging up and only the stumps of masts it looked a sorry state. I am assuming they plan to put everything back in due course. Warrior, on the other hand, was fully rigged and looked magnificent.

replacing the trained wood

replacing the trained wood with steel beams would be a "simple" but effective step,

To me, even without rigging,

To me, even without rigging, Victory still being in existence is amazing.

Anyway - I figured that the river boats would likely end up paddle wheelers (side wheelers are good for shallow water to 'walk' across sand bars, but stern wheelers are more efficient and quieter for passengers). It's harder to build deep keeled ships like you'd need for ocean travel - I figured those would be several years down the road, other than maybe small scale tests. The river is far more important right now.

So, will she introduce the sounding lead, and the call for Mark Twain?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Side Paddle Steamers would the way To Go

I would have thought for their ability to manoeuvre on the fast flowing river, flat bottomed metal European style side paddle steamers would be the way to go as opposed to American style stern wheelers. As a halfway measure on the twin hulled ferries they already have they could maybe put a steam engine in each hull to power a paddle wheel (or maybe two in each hull in tandem) before new metal ferries could be built.
Of course when they can build electric motors big enough to power a paddle wheel they could use a steam powered generator to provide the power for them.

paddle wheels are a temporary

paddle wheels are a temporary measure, that allows for easier production, and less gearing, I imagine as engines improve, they'd be going to screw propellers pretty quickly

I was figuring adding engines

I was figuring adding engines and wheels to existing galleys as for importance of starting to build the ocean fleet, they need rubber

the ships may take a few

the ships may take a few years to build, even using new materials and methods, but that's why they should start soon. Main issue with a steel haul is fouling, but that doesn't mean they can't start with a steel frame and a haul from wooden planks. remember as well between war trophies and galleys the federation members already had, they have the hulls needed for River Command, if perhaps not the manpower, necessitating the conversion of those ships, starting with the trophies to paddle steamers, like side wheelers given how they use them, with transports becoming sternwheelers. Ocean Command however doesn't have any ships, besides maybe the Visund and perhaps a couple more from the few federation members with a sea coast.

Weird as it may sound, they

Weird as it may sound, they could electroplate copper onto a steel hull once it's assembled. There are ways to do it without full immersion.

For steam power, direct drive is more efficient than running a generator to then run a motor, to then run a screw or paddle. That's part of why IC engines are more efficient than electric vehicles, if you use the same fuel. (It's just physics) The biggest downside of steam, besides the constant need for bunkerage, is the mineral deposition on the internals of the boilers, although some of the boilers became very well designed for quick cleaning out of that, as well as minimizing what they could.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Actually due to size

Actually due to size constraints and engine idling ICEVs are about 1/3rd as efficient as BEVs, thermodynamically,

Link to study?

Link to study?

EV's can be more efficient, but in general, that's when the electricity is generated by a more efficient IC process, or by thermonuclear power. (steam generation by fission, not the fusion that you normally see 'thermonuclear' paired with) An ICE at idle uses roughly 1/2 gallon of fuel per -hour-. Using my vehicle as an example, I get 30 MPG at 60MPH. One gallon per half hour, so that's roughly 400% efficiency at idle, compared to full drive. (I pulled that 1/2 gallon from https://scdhec.gov/sites/default/files/Library/CR-010109.pdf ) Now, keep in mind that there's no motive power being used at idle, but you'd get that with any active generator that you've disconnected from the transmission.

The -same- will occur with a direct electrical drive system. You cannot just "shut off" the generator! Turning off a nuclear power plant, and back on again, can be a _four day_ job. (That was made clear during the 2021 freeze, when one reactor shut down due to sensor failure) The only electrical sources you can cut off with minimal issues are batteries. Those can be mechanical batteries (use magnetic bearings, put in a rotor, seal the case with a vacuum. Generated power is used to spin the rotor to extremely high speeds. Use regenerative braking to pull power back out. Mechanical battery), or they can be chemical batteries (Lead acid, lithium-ion, nickel-metal-hydride, nickel-cadmium). Both can be physically disconnected and the flow of electrons halts. (But you still can end up with physical wear at the disconnects)

So, no, EV aren't really more efficient than IC _when directly compared_. The problem is that most companies don't want to do a direct comparison when they can lie. Sorry - obfuscate information that might be detrimental to their product. (This isn't limited to the EV companies).

Direct generation to motors, for example, would really need a continuously adjusting output to compensate for motor speed. If you add gearing to the motors, which makes them more efficient, power-wise, at high RPM (by dropping the RPM), then you have to have the engine able to compensate for the shifts. If you had to put things into neutral, the engine has to continue to run to be ready for providing power immediately. Before people jump in and ask about the automobiles that cut the engines off when you come to a stop - they're not the safest things. It's an enormous wear and tear on the starter motor, and there's always a delay when you try to move. If there are other loads on the engine, they also won't stop (air conditioning, system voltage low, etc) They are also small engines, so they can be started reasonably quickly.

All of this becomes a bit worthless to argue about when you start talking about steam engines. Steam can't be stopped without venting the entire boiler at once - which will then crack the boiler as the combustion source heat will suddenly not be moderated. As for how long to start it up? A long time. Here's a document reprinted from 1920.

http://blogs.upm.es/wp-content/uploads/sites/157/2016/10/LOC...

One of the lighter engines in there was 26 tons. (23.5 "metric" tons, for those without conversion capabilities)

The recommended time to stoke a boiler to preserve its lifespan was roughly 3 hours for a 60 ton Prairie. The Southern Pacific 4449 takes 24 hours.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,3865662
https://www.4449.com/

That locomotive engine and tender was built in 1941, and weighs 433 tons - and operates at 300 psi. That's it.

The Future Anmar apparently has access to point dimensions that they can 'fill' with converted energy from their generator systems, which can then be drawn off as needed. Think of those like balloons with two holes. One is used to pump in, say, hydrogen. The other has hydrogen pulled out. As long as you have pressure on the balloon, you can continue to draw out hydrogen. If there's a sudden demand, as long as it doesn't deflate the balloon too quickly, you can adjust your generator to refill the balloon faster until you reach a steady state, and then ramp it down when the draw decreases. Basically a flexible battery bank, like solar installations. The solar power can be high or low, but is run through the batteries so that the 'pressure' remains the same at the draw point.

That's not steam. (Which is, effectively, what all real power plants run on, even "solar" salt plants)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

car engines have lousy

car engines have lousy efficiency, compared to grid scale power plants

Yes, absolutely. Economies

Yes, absolutely. Economies of scale. However, quite possibly the biggest issues with going full scale EV are that we don't have the reliable power generation capacity or transmission capacity. 20 or more nuclear plants would probably do it, or enough tidal generators to destroy the shallow ocean ecology around the US :) We'd still have to replace almost all transmission systems down to the local neighborhood as well.

Not to mention that we need at least one more further step in battery efficiency. (maybe strontium-cobalt?) (I wonder if lithium-cadmium would do anything other than explode...)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

true for now but any

true for now but any realistic transition period would take at least 15 years

I'm imagining replacing all

I'm imagining replacing all the trained timbers with steel beams, at minimum

changing customs

making a meal out of the occasion, even a simple one is a good way to manage a celebration with many participants.

And we now have another 'branch' - a small warning

A super job, Milady Penny.
...
I need to point out that my personal circumstances have just changed slightly. I shall be driving back to Switzerland in my car after visiting the British Normandy Memorial first.
Then off to our favourite little restaurant in Burgundy, and finally we shall reach Switz.
We shall have ten nights there, before returning to Burgundy for another super meal, then back to Dieppe to catch the ferry home.
All this means that my next chapters of the 'Margrave Descends' and of JoB will be posted once I have got back and polished them.
AND . . . I shall then add all this new stuff from Penny into the Appendices.
Expect the Index and so on to be completed before the end of August!
But now that VotV is getting near to the point where communications from upriver would be cut off by the rains, I can get back to a far more hectic schedule than that I have been following over the past few months. Anmarian fans will, I am sure, be delighted to be quite so inundated!

An interesting start,

I will be looking forward to more.