Meetings in Moxgo

Printer-friendly version

After a long journey over the mountains, mail has to be delivered to the local ruler.

grakh on parchment

Meetings in Moxgo

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


20th Day of Pertelin, Year 1175 since the Great Flood

The caravan rumbled though the streets of the city bound for the local depot. The armed men who surrounded it were relaxed, most of them had been here before, some of them many times, and this was a safe place to be. Relatively safe, of course. In every city there always seemed to be an underworld, with thieves, cutpurses and worse lurking in the shadows.

Still, this was known territory, unlike that which lay ahead. The familiar scents and sounds of the local bazaar surrounded them as they passed by, reminding them of past visits. The sights, sounds and smells were well known to him and he was comfortable with the strange garb, odd animals and curious spices to be found in Moxgo.

The men customarily wore a kind of loose, long, square jacket over loose trousers with a traditional cone-shaped felt hat to keep the sun off. In colder seasons coat and hat would be trimmed with fur, but now the warmer weather had arrived much of what was on view was plain linen. The women all wore ankle length gowns with long floppy sleeves, over which was a loose cowl which usually covered their hair. All the garments in view were brightly colored, with the exception of the men's hats which were uniformly dark brown.

The six wagons passed through several streets, crowded with shoppers in the spring sunshine, then turned down a side street before pulling into a large yard. The factor there saw them arrive and came across to greet the wagonmaster.

"Jaxen! Welcome again to Moxgo. Trouble on your journey?"

The small, wiry man seated on a frayen smiled and shook his head. "None, Hoolas, if you forget the three tremendous rainstorms we suffered while descending into Blayvardis Vale. Other than that, just the usual long ride across the top of the world."

Jaxen dismounted as the factor grinned. "Heh. Spring weather always catches everyone out, doesn't it? Your man Willas told me about your planned trip when he came two weeks ago so everything is ready for you and your men. How long do you think you will be in Moxgo? Supplies are not hard to find around here, as you know, but they must needs still be found."

"I have no idea, Hoolas. One of those wagons has a lot of bags of mail, some of which I must personally deliver to the palace. When I go there I may receive advice or other instruction affecting my journey, so I could not say, not today. No more than a week, I would guess. The way ahead of us is long and mostly unknown territory for us all. It will probably be like going to Chaarn, only a lot less warm."

The factor snorted. "A good way to describe it, I deem! Still, that is for then. For now, bring your men in and I'll have some pel brewed. Anything in those wagons to be unloaded?"

"Aye, two to leave here with goods for the local markets and so on, one has presently nothing but mails and two of the other three are trade goods for Einnland, but we have room for more if you have any. Once we have unloaded the mails, we'll redistribute the loads to reduce wagon weight."

The sixth wagon, of which neither mentioned, was of course the 'chuck' wagon. Few caravans on long distance routes would move without one. Hoolas glanced at the wagons, estimating the storage requirements, as he checked the men now converging on the bathroom block.

"Hey. I notice you are some men short of your usual crew."

Jaxen's face immediately became solemn. "Aye, Hoolas. Did you get word of the battle we were in? I lost two good men then and nearly lost another."

"Battle? You managed to get yourself involved in the war, then?"

"We were the reason for the war, Hoolas. No, this was about five marks south of South Slip, just on our way back to Palarand from the north, late last fall." The Wagonmaster looked around. "Look, this is going to take too long to tell you now. I don't know how much you've already been told down here about what is going on in the Great Valley. Later, maybe, over a beer?"

"If you insist. In Central Palarand? Who did you lose, then? At least tell me that."

"Helen and Samir. Keet was badly wounded but pulled through - eventually. He's now working for my sister in Blackstone."

"Helen, Samir, Kakth. Two good men, and I know men. Keet works for Sookie now? How does she come into this? And where on Anmar is Blackstone?"

Jaxen grinned. "Man, have you been out of touch! Didn't Willas tell you anything when he came?"

"Only that we were at war, that's all, and that a lot of things are changing up north. Is that still going on?"

"Oh, yes. Come on, I want that pel. The road is dusty and my throat is dry."

* * *

Jaxen looked moodily into his empty tankard and reluctantly put it down on the table.

"So that is really what happened, my friend. That was a whirlwind of a year and this one promises to be just as exciting. I think I may have gotten lucky by running this train down to Einnland and missing all the madness."

"I am inclined to agree! Let me see. You found a Princess somehow on the road over the mountains, she gets taken to the palace and Prince Keren immediately falls for her. Then you take them to Blackstone, which sounds like a hick town in the middle of nowhere, fight a battle when you get there and another one on the way back!" Hoolas frowned. "I don't see how she managed to be both found up in the mountains and arrive on a ship, though."

"I told you! That's another Princess, one from Einnland, which is where I'm supposed to be going from here. She turned up while we were away from the city and caused a lot of fuss but Garia sorted her out."

"Two Princesses and both warriors, you say? Are you overdoing the beer, my friend?"

"I'm very carefully not drinking to excess tonight, as you may have noticed. I need to have a clear head tomorrow, both for the Messenger Office and for my audience with the Autokrator. Aye, two Princesses, one as tall as you are and the other shorter than me, both deadly in completely different ways." Jaxen smiled at memories. "And I can tell you, my friend, that I wouldn't have missed any of it for a moment."

~o~O~o~

21st Day of Pertelin, Year 1175 since the Great Flood

Jaxen carefully eased the wagon through the crowded streets. Beside him on the wagon seat was Hoolas. For this specific journey, only those who had Valley Messenger attire were permitted. Jaxen himself wore headband, scarf and sash of yellow; Hoolas, as a known local, merely carried a yellow armband, as did the four riders who surrounded the wagon. The wagon reached the Messenger Office and turned into the yard.

"Ho! Hoolas! How are thee?"

"Still walking, Master Hendrius. Special delivery today."

"You tell me? Park it over here, then, and we can go through it. Who's your friend? Oh, Master Jaxen! It must be eight, nine months since we last met."

"At least that," Jaxen replied. "You'll forgive me, there might be mails we have to pick up as well as deliver."

"To go north? Of course."

"Not this time, Hendrius. I have a special commission to go south, find the land route to Einnland. I can take anything you have for there, which is why I'm dressed this way today."

"Einnland? We don't get much for there. Or from there, come to that. I'll have to take a look in the strong room, see what there is. Climb down anyway, let us sort you out."

Jaxen parked the wagon as Hendrius called for help to unload it.

"Mails from the north! Quickly, now! Make sure you bring the tally-sheets too this time."

The canvas normally covering the wagon bed had been removed at the depot, the contents being protected simply by a layer of planks held down by battens, all secured by yellow ribbons with lead seals. Hendruis inspected every seal and then, once he was satisfied, two men snipped off the ribbons and removed battens and planks, revealing a densely-packed cargo of stout canvas bags, all bulging.

"This is a lot of traffic for two weeks, ever since your mate came along," Hendrius muttered. "What happened? Somebody wake up and decided the whole world needed to be told?"

Jaxen chuckled. "Aye, something like that. No doubt the next consignment will be just as big, they were still talking when I left Palarand."

The Messenger Agent turned to Jaxen, surprised. "Talking? Who, exactly?"

"Oh, just about every ruler this side of Yod and even one or two from more distant lands." Hendrius stared at him. "I'm sorry, I cannot speak of the reasons this time, but I'm sure that you'll all know everything by midsummer."

One of the men lifting out the bags said, "Boss, this one's got funny markings on it. Looks like an avian walked across the label."

Hendrius took a look. "Eh, Jaxen, what's this about?"

"Oh, that must be one of the bags for Einnland. You'll need to record its arrival and then put it back in the wagon. There should be two of those. Those markings are their local language which is called roons."

"Roons? Strange name for a language, isn't it? Hey, I knew a Roon, isn't he a rider with Pondool?"

"I think you'll find that was Roono and he was one of Jaynek's men. Roons are what they call the letters of of their script, not the language. I'm told the language they speak is called Norse."

"Ah! Now you mention it, that sounds about right."

"Boss," one of the men said, "there's two bags here for personal delivery to the palace."

"Oh, aye," Jaxen said. "You'll need to record them and put them back in the wagon as well. I have to deliver them personally to the Autokrator this afternoon, which is why I'm wearing Messenger colors today." As well as some personal packages I am certainly not mentioning to you!

"Luck on your visit," Hendrius said. "Last I heard, Kordos was in a bad mood."

"Thanks for the warning, friend."

Hendrius went back into the building to have a look for mails going south and east, returning with a slim bag and two packages.

"Here, Jaxen, this bag is for Einnland, so it seems, and if you could drop these two off on your way down. The route you'll be following passes through Kamgo and Toselhem, one for each office."

"I've been to Kamgo, there's almost nothing there!"

"Aye, so they say, but there's a new Vizar down that way who has asked for something or other for his outposts."

"Oh, as you say. Is there a tally stick for them?"

"Aye, I'll attach them to the others before we reseal the wagon."

"You won't be able to do that this time, Hendrius. We can't afford to have a whole wagon with just three bags and two packages in it for a journey that long. They'll have to go under the kitchen wagon because we'll be using this one for trade goods."

"Do you tell me? Well, you know best how to protect the mails you carry, Jaxen, you've been doing it long enough." He turned. "Sifos! We'll need three new tally sticks for the extra cargo. Hop to it, now!"

Jaxen had a thought while they waited for the formalities to be completed. "Hendrius, do you know much about the route to Einnland? We have a general idea but any local knowledge would be useful."

"Not really. Kamgo and Toselhem, that I know, and then you're in the territory of a local lord called Emyn. He's fine, but too far away for our Autokrator to be bothered with. What's that city called? I'm not even sure it is a city. Ah, yes, Rungen, that's right. I think you'll need to go to Rungen and then ask for directions there."

"That's more than we already knew, at least. Tell me, do any of those folk come so far as Moxgo, do you know?"

"What, those of Einnland? I believe that a party, a small party, came here about seven or eight years ago. Funny folk they were. Big men, as I recall, red or yellow hair and every one had beards. Massive swords, caused a bit of a fuss. Looked a bit like them plains barbarians to me, I think that most people thought that was what they were."

"That sounds like the Norse, aye. So there is a route and people along the way might remember them."

"As you say. So how is it you know so much about Einnland, then?"

"Oh, we have a party from there staying at the palace." Jaxen didn't need to be more explicit this far away. "There's even one of the royal family come to visit."

"Oh, I see."

Sifos came out of the office with a bunch of tally sticks, each with the description of one consignment written on a side. On the other side was the office code and the date. The bunch was held together by a ribbon through a hole at the end of each, the ribbon being secured by a lead seal.

"Here you are, Jaxen."

He took them and frowned. "You haven't put the palace sacks on here, have you?"

Hendrius waved a hand. "No, of course not. That's a local delivery and if I can't trust you as far as the palace I might as well quit now."

Jaxen grinned. "That is so, Hendrius! Well, we'll be around for about five or six days, so if there's anything more to go that way..."

"I know. I'll send a runner for you. Luck at the palace."

Jaxen climbed back onto the wagon. "It's going to be a long day. I'll see you around, maybe."

"Hah! You buying?"

"Depends, as always."

With a wave Jaxen turned the wagon in the yard and drove back out into the streets of Moxgo.

* * *

It was the same wagon, but this time it was just Jaxen driving it and with no escort. There was no reason why he had to come on his own, but it was likely that anybody accompanying him would be sitting around a long time waiting for him to return from his audience. He had a lot to talk about.

In the wagon were three bags, the two Messenger bags and another given to him by Kendar at the palace in Palarand. There was a small risk delivering it this way but, with Jaxen attired in Messenger yellow, it was very unlikely that anyone would dare interfere with him. The penalties exacted in Moxgo for such crimes were severe and immediate.

At the gate to the palace grounds he was stopped as usual by the guards but again as usual he was nodded through once he had been recognized. He made his way to the 'deliveries' entrance and dismounted.

"A Messenger," the door guard noted. "Oh, hast tha come from t'north? I'll fetch t' Master o't' Posts t' coom and collect t' bags."

«Aye, true enough», Jaxen replied, slipping easily into the local dialect. Many of Moxgo's inhabitants could speak the Valley tongue but most used a mangled offshoot day-to-day. «This time it is a little more than delivering and collecting mail,» he added. «I have diplomatic messages for His Majesty and personal packages for Her Majesty from her parents.»

«The Master of Posts can take those, surely?»

Jaxen felt the need to clarify. «There are also words which must be said but not written down, if you take my meaning. Will it be possible to get an audience, do you know? I will be in Moxgo for five or six days before I must travel on, if another day would be more convenient.»

«Oh. I'll get someone to find His Majesty's Orkestrator for you.»

The guard spoke to a servant inside the door and then turned. «They will come.»

Eventually two men turned up in palace livery. The more senior of these nodded to Jaxen. «Mails from the north?»

«Aye, and I have some to deliver personally from King to Autokrator. I'll need an audience.»

«To deliver personally?» The man peered into the bed of the wagon, noting the two bags with yellow ribbons and a third tied with purple and green. «Ah, that one. From the King of Palarand, I would guess?»

«That's right. You have no doubt heard what is happening in the north?»

The man snorted. «Some of it. I think most of it is wild tales, but the story of a war is probably real enough.»

«It is real, all right. I myself was caught in a battle in Central Palarand some months ago.»

«A battle? Central Palarand? Bandits, surely!»

«There were fifty-six of us, returning Prince Keren from a journey to the far north, and the enemy numbered more than one hundred twenty, all dressed in uniforms of Yod. This was no bandit attack.»

The man looked at Jaxen with respect. «I ask your pardon, Messenger. I did not know things were so bad in the north. I will take the two normal bags off you.»

Just then an older man stepped through the door. "Master Jaxen, welcome again to Moxgo. I trust they are looking after you?"

"Aye, My Lord Hanos," Jaxen said, bowing, "and it is good to see you again. A great deal has happened since we last spoke and I have two bags for the palace, with another I must needs deliver personally to His Majesty. Um, there are words which must needs be spoken as well. Will it be possible to see him? The meeting could take some time."

The Orkestrator scratched his chin. Jaxen added, "My Lord, if it is a problem, I will be in Moxgo for five to six days before we leave for Einnland."

"Einnland? What on Anmar are you going there for? Never mind, I am not sure that I desire to know. I believe that His Majesty could give you an audience later this afternoon, but he is presently busy. I know that Her Majesty will be pleased to see you, as will the boys."

"Thank you, My Lord. Aye, I have packages and words for Her Majesty as well."

"You may be some time, then. I can arrange for your wagon and beast to be looked after?"

"As you say, My Lord."

As the two walked through the palace, Jaxen stopped and put down the canvas bag. The other looked at him with a query. Jaxen reached into a pocket inside his leather jerkin and pulled out a thick envelope, handing it to the Orkestrator.

"My Lord, this is for you from Chancellor Kendar. He bids me to thank you for the gifts we took last year."

"Oh!" The man smiled. "As you say. I look forward to what little morsel he has sent this time."

Double doors led into the family apartments. The guards outside were suitably respectful to the second most powerful man in the land. Once inside, a personal servant approached.

«My Lord?»

«This is a Messenger from Palarand, Taktos. He is Master Jaxen who has been here before. He will want an audience with His Majesty, but His Majesty is busy for a bell or so. He also has messages for Her Majesty.»

«Yes, My Lord. I will take him to her, she is in the Sun Room with the boys.»

"Can I leave you with Taktos?" the man asked Jaxen. "I'll have to go and tell His Majesty that you're here and that your meeting may take some time." He paused, thinking. "Do you know what is in that bag which is so important? What I mean is, I suppose, do you think that my presence might be needed?"

"My Lord, I could not possibly say. Recently I have spent more time in the company of Kings, Princes and other rulers than I feel comfortable with and I could probably tell you most of what is in here, but there may be other matters that do not concern the likes of me."

"As you say. It was a chance, that is all. No doubt he will call me if I am needed."

The Orkestrator left and Jaxen followed the manservant. After a maze of corridors and antechambers, all lined with marble and with wide windows to let in the light, Jaxen was finally shown into a large salon, with plenty of relaxed seating and doors opening onto a flagged terrace.

"Jaxen! Welcome to Moxgo again."

Her Serene Highness Autokrateira Elizet of the Five Valleys rose to her feet and approached Jaxen with a big smile, her hands stretched to welcome him.

"Your Majesty."

"Now, none of that nonsense. Ma'am will do, just as it does for my mother. How is she? I heard about the war, is it causing any trouble at home?" She caught sight of the canvas bag and her brow wrinkled. "That much private mail? What is going on, Jaxen?"

He sighed. "Ma'am, since Master Tanon came last year, a very great deal has happened, all of it so amazing I can barely believe it myself."

Elizet's three sons reached Jaxen then and he solemnly shook hands with each of them, a habit he had started when the oldest was barely five. Two were now at least Jaxen's height.

"Nikos, Thedren, Arius, good day to you all. It has been nearly a year and you've all grown again, I see."

The oldest, Nikos, asked, "Uncle Jaxen, it is good to see you again. Have you anything for us?"

Elizet smiled. "Now, boys, I'm sure Jaxen didn't come all this way just to hand out gifts. By the look of that sack, he and your father will be spending some time together this afternoon."

Jaxen also smiled. "By command of His Majesty King Robanar of Palarand, your grandfather, there are gifts for you three inside this bag. But I'm afraid that I cannot open the bag, you will have to wait until everything else is dealt with before they may be given." He turned to Elizet. "Ma'am, I have messages for you which I must needs give you personally."

"Ah? As you say. Off you go, boys, Mama has to be official for a while." She turned to the servant. "If we may have pel and pastries, Taktos. Jaxen, sit down and take the weight off your feet. You've been traveling a while and there's no need for you to stand on ceremony here."

Jaxen found a seat and made himself comfortable. "I heard, just a word, that His Majesty is not in a good mood right now."

Elizet pulled a face as she sat down in a chair next to Jaxen. "Aye. There is trouble with bandits in one of the valleys and the spring weather has caused landslides in two of the others."

"I can imagine," he responded. "We had three tremendous rainstorms coming down through Blayvardis Vale."

"That happens from year to year, so it isn't that unusual. This time, though, he also has a Vizar in the south-west who thinks he can do better on his own and tribes beyond who are raiding." Her face was serious, now. "And word reaches us that there is war in the north. You are right, Kordos is not happy at the moment."

"Well," Jaxen said with a smile, "let me begin with some good news. You have suddenly gained two sisters."

There was shock on Elizet's face. "Two sisters? Maker! Surely you do not mean that Mama has had twins? There has not been enough time!"

"Ah, I am sorry to have surprised you, Ma'am. I misspoke. Your brother Prince Keren was married at Spring Dawning and your father has given refuge to a runaway Princess from Einnland, which is where we are going when we leave Moxgo."

"Phew! I was concerned there for a moment. Keren married? There was a rumor, someone called at the palace last week... Tell me, what is she like? Have you met her? Of course, you must have met her, she must needs reside in the palace now."

"Ma'am, I know her much better than that! I was one of those who found her and took her to the palace in the first place. Later, we took her north to visit her new holdings and then, I was one of those with her when we fought off those of Yod."

Elizet was confused. "Found her? New holdings? Those of Yod? Jaxen, I need to know everything!"

Now Jaxen had a problem. "Ma'am, I would be delighted to tell you everything, but I must needs tell His Majesty everything as well, it will be important to him. That is why I have come here personally to deliver this bag of documents."

"Oh. Jaxen, you are a difficult man! You leave out bait and then snatch it away before I have chance to taste it! Very well, I must needs wait. What else can you tell me, then?"

"I can tell you about her, perhaps. She is a remarkable young woman. She is young, but the days and years where she is from are numbered differently so no-one is sure exactly how old she is. By agreement she had her coming-of-age at the same ceremony as Prince Keren. She is shorter than me, and is accounted cute, though she denies this herself. She is very energetic and has introduced some new... activities... to Palarand.

"I can tell you that before she came to Anmar she would not have considered herself to be noble. Yet, she and the Prince have been together from practically the first moment they set eyes on each other and I have met few other couples as close as they. Your father eventually agreed that she would be His Highness's Queen even though it flew in the face of all custom."

"She is not noble born? But then, how..? Wait, you just said, came to Anmar." Elizet's eyes bored into Jaxen. "Is this some joke? Explain."

"Ma'am, it is no joke. Princess Garia, as she is known now, comes from somewhere else entirely, another world named Earth. She knows not how she came here or where it is. When we found her, on the way back to Palarand from Moxgo the last time, she had lost her memory so we knew nothing of her origins until she had reached the palace. If I may, that is a story His Majesty must needs hear as well."

"Another world? Oh, very well. Annoying man! What else can you talk about, then? What about this war? What caused it?"

"She did, indirectly, simply by being on Anmar."

"Jaxen, you are infuriating!"

He spread his hands with a wry smile. "It has been said, Ma'am, by many in the past. The war was caused by those of Yod, who coveted the amazing knowledge that Princess Garia has." He gestured to the bag. "I am assuming that details of some of the new ideas and devices she has already brought are in that bag. Oh! I know."

Jaxen grinned and fumbled in his waist pouch, bringing out his personal fork and handing it to Elizet.

"This was the first of the wonders she showed us, so I was told."

She turned it over, seeing just a curious shape in metal. "What is it? Why is it so special?"

"It is named a fork, Ma'am, and it is used to help you eat your food. Every one who has had the chance to use one says that they can no longer do without one at table, they are so useful."

"How do you use it, then? Must we needs carry one of these about with us all the time?"

"Difficult to explain, Ma'am, but easy to understand once you see what it does. As for carrying them, of course we travelers carry ours, especially in regions they have not reached yet, but normally they would just be placed on the table as you do your knives and spoons."

"Ah! Table cutlery I can understand, Jaxen. Is there a Design Licence on these in Palarand, then?"

"Aye, Ma'am, but you know we have no control over what your husband does down here. I would guess there is some... arrangement, perhaps, whereby they may be made as the Autokrator desires for use in the south, providing none are sent north for trade."

Elizet nodded. Although she did not have her mother's sharp business mind, she understood the realities of trade.

"Such a simple thing," she said, handing the fork back, "but simple things can sometimes make the biggest differences, do you not agree?"

"As you say, Ma'am."

Jaxen had just closed his pouch when Taktos returned with a tray containing pot and cups, closely followed by another servant with a tray laden with plates of nibbles. Just behind them was a well-built man in his mid-thirties who strode directly over to Jaxen and confronted him.

"Master Jaxen! Last week I had news of the wedding of Elizet's brother! Why was I not informed earlier? I could have sent a representative!"

Jaxen bowed low. "Greetings, Great Ruler, from those of Palarand. I bring you packages and messages from the palace of Robanar, your brother monarch, which doubtless will explain the circumstance."

The tension went out of Kordos immediately, his shoulders relaxing. "Jaxen, rise. I should not take my problems out on you, you are but a messenger."

"Thank you, Your Majesty. If I may ask, you already knew about the wedding? How?"

"That old bandit Pondool called by last week on his way somewhere. He told me a little and what he did say sounded... odd."

Elizet said, "Dear, I asked pel for Jaxen while we waited for you. Will you join us?" Her eyes flashed. "The man tells me there is a story, and that he is part of it, but that he must needs tell it to you as well. All I get from him are annoying hints!" She took in her husband's mood. "What of your troubles? What brings you here in such an attitude?"

Kordos passed a hand over his brow. "Oh, that avalanche in Ghedris Vale? It seems that the storms have brought down more rock than first thought and the upper reaches are cut off. I have had to organize a relief force to go and help the Vizar sort the mess out." He scowled. "And, just to make my day even better, I am told that Zarnan has been burned to the ground by plains raiders. I must needs direct that a division of army go and remonstrate with them - quite firmly."

"Oh, no! Jaxen, do you know that place?"

"Zarnan? Aye, that is just off the Silk Route, is it not? A fair sized town, as I recall. Is it yet known how many are dead or injured?"

Kordos shook his head. "All I yet have is a brief message, Master Jaxen." He scowled again. "It is the curse of living in such a land, that some time must pass before any message may be delivered."

Jaxen pointed. "Um, Your Majesty, in that bag may be a possible answer to your problem, something called a semaphore. At home we may now send a message from the palace to the farthest border of Palarand, and get a return message, all within the same day. Even now we are rapidly extending this system to all our neighbors."

The Autokrator was shocked. "How is this possible?" He frowned. "What did you just name that? Semaphore. I believe that means 'sign bearer' in the old tongue, or something like that. Surely that is just another way of saying messenger."

"I regret, Your Majesty, that it isn't that simple. There is a long explanation and that is why I have come here today. If I may first tell you my story, and then the contents of that bag should make more sense."

Kordos glowered at Jaxen. Elizet smiled and said, "Did I not say that you were an annoying man, Jaxen? Come, let us all sit down and discover what is really going on beyond the mountains. Taktos, I believe that His Majesty will require pel, so bring some more and his mug, and perhaps some more substantial food to eat. From the sound of what I have already heard, this could take some time."

The servant bowed. "As you command, My Autokrateira."

* * *

"...and when I called in at the palace to collect that bag and say my farewells, most of the rulers who remained were about to travel north across the Sirrel to the castle at Dekarran," Jaxen said. "I believe the plan was to see if they could conclude a treaty of confederation before they all had to return home."

Kordos let out his breath in a long hiss. "So. The countries of the north plan to gather together, as we all were hundreds of years ago. This may make a difference how I view them, I deem."

Jaxen wobbled a hand in front of him. "Your Majesty, I do not think that you have any cause to worry. For one thing, there is a big range of mountains between you and the Great Valley, which is why each side has managed its own affairs for so long. Your pardon, I am no diplomat, but I do pass through many countries on my travels and I take note of what I see. I believe that the developments which are happening north of the Palumaks will be of great benefit to your realm in due time."

"Aye, Jaxen, I understand. You may appreciate that, with our present troubles down here I am somewhat leery of late. Your word of comfort is noted."

"Mayhap there is some message from King Robanar in that bag, Your Majesty."

"The bag! Of course. I believe that it is now time for me to open it."

"Do you desire me to retire, Your Majesty?"

"As the attested Messenger who brought it, there is no reason you should not stay."

Kordos brought out the knife from his belt and carefully cut the ribbon binding the bag, handing it with the attached seal to Jaxen. Yellow ribbons could always be re-used if long enough but the personal colors of a monarch could not, so Jaxen would take them back to the palace when he eventually returned to Palarand. If that were not possible, he would burn them.

The bag was tipped out onto the floor and letters and packages cascaded out of it. Many were of normal size and shape but there were three box-shaped packets and a large, thick, flat cardboard envelope. Kordos began sorting through them, splitting the heap into several piles.

The three boxes were for the boys, it seemed. "This one is for you, dearest," he said, handing the large envelope to Elizet. One of the letters said "Read me first", so he sat down with it and cut the ribbon which bound it.

Elizet looked at the heavy envelope curiously. "I wonder what this is? A painting, perhaps? No, it doesn't feel heavy enough for that."

"I bet I know what that is," Jaxen said with a big grin, "since I had to deliver one to Blackstone. Um, it should be a complete set of bra patterns."

Kordos put down his letter. "Jaxen, whatever is a bra?"

* * *

Kordos came back into the Sun Room, sweeping his dark brown hair from his head with one hand, the other filled with letters he had read privately.

"Jaxen, you have done well this day. I now understand what is happening beyond the mountains and view them with a certain amount of interest, not to mention astonishment. My thanks to you for bringing this news and telling us your amazing tale."

Jaxen stood and bowed. "As you say, Your Majesty. Bringing news is what I am paid to do."

"But not to tell how you found this girl on the Palarand road and what she has turned out to be." He compressed his lips in frustration. "I earnestly desire to go north and meet this new Princess but I know that if I were to do so, all would be chaos when I returned. Is there no remedy? What of this semaphore, can it be extended down to Moxgo, do you think?"

"Your Majesty, we talked about this very thing as we traveled down here this time. There would be a number of difficulties, since many repeater stations would need to be set up in the high mountains and none of us knows what the effect of snow and ice would be on men or equipment." He considered. "There might be a way in time, Your Majesty. Once when at the palace I spoke to Guildswoman Milsy, who I mentioned in my story -"

Kordos nodded. "I recall."

"She explained that there was another possible way, which would involve wires laid from here to Palarand. It would be my guess that any wires would need to be laid on the ground or buried, such that snow and ice would not affect them." He shook his head. "I have no idea how that would work and it is yet but a thought in the minds of its designers, Your Majesty, but if you may wait a year or two then a proposal might yet be made."

Kordos frowned. "How on Anmar can wires be used to send messages? We use bell wires in the palace, of course, but so long a distance -"

Jaxen spread his hands. "I leave that to the experts, Your Majesty, just as you do. Me, I take wagon trains to distant lands and that is what I must be about now. If you have no further need of me?"

"Aye, you have things to attend to as I do. If you have trouble finding information about Einnland, come to the palace and ask for Hanos, he will tell you all we know. If we do not meet again before you depart, you have my best wishes for your journey." The Autokrator added, "On your return I will expect a full report, mind? It is time we learned more of those barbarous lands."

Jaxen bowed. "As you command, Your Highness." He turned to Elizet. "Ma'am."

"Jaxen, you must come again," she said. "You bring amazing news of new sisters, how could I not wish to learn more? Fare you well on your journey."

"Thank you, Ma'am."

He bowed once more, turned on his heel and walked out of the room.

up
207 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great, Great, Great!!

Another book in the epic tale of Anmar and Somewhere Else Entirerly!!!!!! happy dance!

alissa

M&M's

Your stories are like M&M's - single ones are good but they are better by the handfuls! This story tells little new but holds tantalizing clues of more stories.

Wonderful world you have created.

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

I think Elizet will get along

I think Elizet will get along with her new sister in law when they meet...

Thanks

Teek's picture

Another addition to this world. Thanks and very well done. Catching people up without retelling everything can be a challenge, but you did a good job showing us that they were informed of changes in the land, without having us reread all about it.

I look forward to seeing where all of this goes.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Erinna going North, Jaxen going South

BarbieLee's picture

Miss Lane, You young lady are as frustrating as Jaxen is spreading, what dis Elizet call it, spreading bait. And frustration as your tales as mentioned by another reader, like M&Ms. Excellent story telling as the descriptive (scene) is inter woven with dialog and your actors and actresses come alive off the page. I'm glad I came to the party late and Somewhere Else Entirely was completed before I started reading. I sure wish this one and The Voyage of the Visland was also.
hugs hon, you writing talents are exceptional tied into an exceptional imagination.
always,
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

more like south east for

more like south east for Jaxen and South west for Eriena

Further continuation perhaps?

I love your style of writing and the voice in which you write this tale. I had hoped this would happen at some point. Please do not allow anyone else to commandeer the story.

Much peace

Gwen

Appendices updated

Gosh - lots of new names for the Index!!!
:-)

"By command of His Majesty

"By command of His Majesty King Robanar of Palarand, your uncle"

You mean their grandfather? Keren is their uncle...

Yeah, spotted

Too tired to fix today, will look through tomorrow.

Thanks for noticing, every fresh eyeball helps. (No, that's not what I mean!)

Penny

Trade goods

I would hazard to guess that while there maybe things like forks and paper for Moxgo even steel, I wouldn't be so sure they have a steam engine for them as that requires more advanced tuition to use, but then again that would be one of the things they would want to bring to Einnland, but then again due to size it might have been decided to leave that for Torulf..

*

Thank you Penny. Looks like another great start.

T

I suspect

ant wires that will be laid will be above ground, since at this time they have not beat the insulation problem, but in later stories they did.

it will take a while to get

it will take a while to get the quantities of rubber from either source.

*

Hi Penny,

You know, at some point as these adventures of Jaxen continue, he will reach Einnland and have the inevitable reunion with Prince (or King?) Torulf.

I am looking forward to both. The amazing tales of adventure along the trail, and then the meeting of two old friends.

And, of course, hints of what commerce between these two important Kingdoms will bring to The Great Valley.

And eventually to all of Anmar. (This will, of course, set up at least one more sequel.)

Sorry, no rest for you, young lady. We want (need)(demand)(please) more of your amazing story telling skills.

T

Further adventures of Jaxen

Unfortunately there is too much going on right now for me to go any further.

Maybe one day I will add to this thread. I must admit that, Jaxen being who he is, there are probably a whole host of tales one could write about his adventures. I must also admit that I have no time to write them.

After I wrote this I thought in some detail about what would happen when Jaxen eventually arrived in Jotlhiem, but very little has been written down. I suspect that the telling would involve more complexity than Meetings in Moxgo added - although Julia might disagree!

My apologies.

Note that Return of the Prince is set after Jaxen's visit, therefore Embrikt will still be King.

As to sequels, (Um, sequels of which, exactly?) you might see something if I should survive long enough and still be able to use a keyboard. Regrettably, my present writing rate is slower than that of Tolkien!

Penny