Somewhere Else Entirely -87-

Printer-friendly version

Garia realizes that her men need to know all about Yod's wonder weapons so teaches them what she knows for their own safety. Jepp makes a surprising suggestion, Merizel has an idea and Garia and Keren spend an exhausting afternoon writing a report for the King. In the evening funerals are held for all those killed during the attack.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

87 - Guns and Pyres


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2013 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



The men's dormitory was packed, since every member of Keren and Garia's party was present. This included Bleskin and the two youngsters Tedenis and Briswin. Also in the room was Brydas in his capacity as Master Smith and Yarling, the Master Miner. Garia had chosen that room because it could hold her audience and at the same time keep anyone else from overlooking what she was about to discuss. The bedding rolls, saddlebags and packs had been stacked against an end wall and the men were sitting and standing in a circle such that all had a good view. Merizel, Jenet, Jasinet and Lanilla were also present, sitting on a bench at one end of the room. On the floor in the center of the audience lay the two guns, the ramrods and the ammunition bag.

"I'm probably going to have some objections to this," Garia began, "but I think this is so important that I'm prepared to tell you all anyway. You all have to know what these new weapons are and how you should behave if somebody points one at you."

"You can't do that, Garia!" Keren protested. "Not after what you said to us at the council meeting. I thought this was one secret that you wanted to keep for as long as possible."

She nodded. "That is exactly right, Keren. I would have fought as hard as I could, for as long as I could, to prevent this information coming out into the open."

"So... why are you doing so now? And in front of everybody?"

"Because I didn't let the secret out, Keren, Yod did. Which means that very soon, we could all face such weapons again. And, if that's so, then I have a responsibility to everybody here to tell them what they might face should they come across them in the field and what they can do about it. We've already had one death and four injured by a single gun discharge and I don't want to see any more." She sighed. "It's going to happen, but if people understand what they face then maybe we can keep the numbers down."

Keren had known that Garia wouldn't do something like that without good reason but it had been necessary to spell it out for everyone to hear. The fact that she was prepared to expose an important secret to protect her people - and himself - would make a great difference, too.

"A hard decision to make, Garia. What do you think the King will say?"

"I hope that he will see that the protection of my people - and yours - is important to me, Keren. And that if we are to be faced on the field of battle by weapons like these, we must have our own guns to fight back with."

He nodded and gestured. "As you say. I think I agree with your reasoning. Proceed, then."

Garia knelt and patted the undamaged gun. "This is called a gun," she told her audience. "Actually, the word gun is used as a general term for any weapon that works the way these do. What we have here is a particularly crude weapon designed to flatten a crowd at close quarters I would probably call a shotgun. There are many, many words for types of guns, almost as many as there are varieties of gun. Guns on Earth can range from something so small it would fit in the palm of my hand to monsters that I could almost walk inside.

"The way guns work is almost the same whatever size they are. This metal tube is called a barrel, and that's because they used to be made in a similar way to barrels when they were first invented. That is, a series of strips or staves, welded together at a forge with rings or straps around to hold them together. In most types of gun one end of the barrel is usually blocked off some way. What we call an explosive is placed inside the barrel at the blocked-off end and some kind of projectile stacked on top of it. When the user of the gun sets fire to the explosive by some means then it catches fire and expands greatly. Because the fire is trapped inside the barrel the only way it can relieve the pressure is to push the projectile out with great force. The barrel makes sure that the projectile can only go in the direction the user aims the gun."

Feteran raised a hand. "Milady, you use the word projectile. To us a projectile is an arrow, a bolt or spear. Do you mean the same by that word?"

"Not at all, commander. In theory you could push an arrow or a bolt down the barrel but there's almost no need and it's an expensive way to make ammunition. These guns use bags of stones as their projectiles. Very crude. On Earth a gun like this would use lead balls, either a single one that just fits into the barrel or many tiny ones to give a scattering effect. Older guns could use almost anything to hand that would fit down the barrel. More modern guns use turned, shaped projectiles called bullets which can travel much faster and more accurately."

"More accurately, milady? How accurate can these guns be, then?"

"Let's talk about the weapons in front of us first, I think, since these are what we are likely to face in the near future. We'll talk about more modern ideas afterwards, and then you can all understand just why I wanted the subject kept a secret." Garia frowned. "All right. I've just remembered that this thing is still loaded. Fet, can you give me a hand, see if we can unload it?"

"Aye, milady. What must we do? Is it dangerous?"

"Oh, yes! The first rule of gun ownership is never point the barrel at anyone, including yourself! You may have no idea if it is loaded or not and whether it might go off. I don't think that will happen with this particular weapon but we don't even know what the powder is like. Powder, by itself, can be extremely dangerous. Let's try up-ending it and knocking it on the floor to make the stones fall out."

Feteran picked up the gun by the stock and banged it gently on the floor. There was a rattle and two stones rolled out. He repeated the action and suddenly the bag fell out, now torn to shreds, leaving stones rolling in all directions.

"Let's collect these all up," Garia directed. She grinned at her men. "They are harmless stones but you'll still feel it if you step on one in your bare feet. Fet, keep knocking, please."

After some patient thumping the powder bag was dislodged and fell on the floor, scattering the contents on the boards. Garia pursed her lips.

"This powder is dangerous, everybody. I think the amount here won't damage the building but we must make sure to sweep every grain up, and very carefully. Do you know what can happen to flour dust in mills? It can go bang and cause damage, right? This powder is like that only the bang will be much bigger. This floor will need to be washed over where the powder fell to make sure we've cleaned it all up."

One of the men was sent downstairs to fetch dustpan, brush and mop. When he returned the powder was carefully swept into the pan and then the floor thoroughly cleaned.

"Good," Garia continued. "Now, I'll take a small amount of this powder and put it on this scrap of paper so you can see what happens. We must make sure that the dustpan and the ammo bag are kept well away."

A tiny pile was placed in the center of a small square of paper, which was placed on a clean, dry area of the floor. Garia warned the audience that there would be a bright flash and probably a cloud of smoke. She asked Feteran to light one corner of the paper, which he did with some trepidation. Everybody stared at the paper as the flame gradually consumed it.

There was a sudden whoomf as the powder caught and the center of the room was filled with a cloud of brown smoke which had several men coughing. Windows and doors were opened to clear the smoke before Garia called them back to order.

"You can see just how much smoke and dust was made from that tiny pile of gunpowder. Imagine just how much would have been made if we'd used the whole lot in that little bag! And, it's all trapped inside the barrel, remember? That's what makes a gun so deadly. If we had fired that gun in here I have no doubt that those stones would have gone straight through the nearest wall.

"Now here's the thing. If you get hit by any projectile fired from a gun then it will go straight into your body. In that respect it's no different to being hit by an arrow or a crossbow bolt, I guess. But the projectile will get covered by all that filthy residue left after the powder burns, and possibly even some of the bag it was in. If any of that stays in the wound it will go bad and you'll lose a limb or die, understand? So, if there are any wounds from gunfire then they must be cleaned out straight away and the stone or whatever else removed. Use boiled water and boiled bandages. Boil any instrument you use to probe the wound as well. If you can, make sure you wash your hands properly before starting."

Most of the men nodded. They had seen the wounds which the gun had already caused.

"So, the next point. If you don't want to get wounded, don't be in front of the gun when it is fired. That means throwing yourself on the ground or behind the nearest cover if you can. Don't assume that any armor will stop what comes out of a gun, it won't in most cases. Don't assume that walls will stop projectiles either. Wooden walls like these are almost useless." She paused, considering. "Okay, if a wooden wall is all there is then use it for shelter. It may mean the difference between a fatal injury and one that you can limp away with. Stone walls would stop the kind of shot this gun can fire but even they won't stop what can come out of bigger guns."

Bleskin asked, "Milady, does that mean we must construct fortresses of stone wherever we might face the enemy?"

"Stone walls will stop what we call small-arms fire, captain, which means weapons a man can hold, but as I said a larger weapon will eventually batter such walls down. No, you have to go the other way. The walls would be made of earth and very thick, to absorb any shot and spread the blow."

"Ah, I understand, milady. But such ramparts would be easy to scale."

"There are ways round the problem, captain. For example, one method is to face your wall with wicker baskets filled with earth. That way you can make them steep enough that climbing would be harder. Remember, if someone is climbing a wall then someone else can lean over and shoot them."

Bleskin nodded. "As you say, milady. I can see that the existence of... firearms, did you call them? must change warfare considerably."

"Yes," she said, her eyes hard, "especially if your enemy knows how to use them and you do not."

She reached for the ammunition bag and emptied it out on the floor.

"So, to load a gun before using it, you need one of each of these things here. A bag," she held one up, "filled with powder, a projectile like these bags filled with stones, something like this stuff to pack the barrel which is usually called a wad and one of these." Garia held up the bundle of stiff strings. "These are called fuses and are how you get the fire from outside the barrel to inside."

She turned. "Let's assume that we have to load this gun. The string, the fuse, goes in this tiny hole on top first. Then the bag of powder is rammed down the barrel with those sticks so that it is pushed against the inside end of the fuse. Next comes a wad to make sure nothing comes loose and finally a bag of stones, or shot, or a lead ball or whatever. There may even be another wad on top to stop everything falling out while you carry it. Unlike Stott's longbow, you can load up a gun well before you need to use it, provided that you can keep it dry. Okay. Commander, if you'd like to pick the gun up and hold it to your shoulder like you did before."

Feteran obliged and Garia inspected the result.

"As you can all see, because Feteran is right-handed he automatically rested the stock against his right shoulder. That means he can lean his head over and sight along the barrel with his right eye. When he is happy with his aim he can..." Garia paused, considering. "Ah! So that's why there are two men to each gun. The other man stands the other side of the gun, with a length of smoldering cord in his hand. When the aimer says 'fire!' the other man touches the fuse with the cord and sets it on fire. The fuse burns very quickly through the hole in the barrel and fires the powder. The powder explodes and forces the shot out the barrel. Because it is going so fast you don't have to allow for drop like you would with an arrow."

"So fast, milady? How fast, exactly?"

"I don't know exactly, captain. All I can say is that you won't be able to see the shot fly with your naked eye. Thinking about it, the fuse doesn't burn instantly and neither does the powder, so if you can see the puff of smoke as the fuse is lit, you might just have enough time to dive out of the way. Don't bet your life on being able to do that, though."

"Milady, what is the range of a weapon such as this?"

Garia shrugged. "I don't know, captain. I've never seen them in use. To find out things like that we'd have to set up a testing program and work it out for ourselves. My guess is, inside five strides it would kill. Ten strides and you'd be wounded, an unlucky shot might kill. Beyond that, you'd have minor injuries. I doubt that shot like this would even make it to fifty strides."

"That doesn't sound so bad," Keren remarked. "That isn't even as far as a crossbow could manage."

"Don't underestimate these things, Keren, and that goes for the rest of you. If there's an assault and someone fires this thing at you a lot of men are going to go down. You can't do that with a single crossbow bolt. In a corridor, also, a single gun could take out a lot of defenders." Garia frowned. "Something that's puzzling me is the shot they used. These stones are, frankly, rubbish. At the speeds that most shot is fired air resistance becomes important, even though you might not have thought of such a thing. These stones will tumble over and over when they come out the barrel and that will slow them down, which is why I said they won't travel very far. They won't be accurate, either. The best shot for this kind of gun is smooth balls, big or small, because they won't be slowed down by the air so much and they will be more accurate."

"But, milady," Bleskin objected, "it would appear that this weapon can only be used once. Must one then reload it? How long does that take?"

"You're right, captain, and that is the weakness of these guns at the moment. Any self-respecting archer can put many arrows in the air in the time it takes to fire this gun and reload it. But there will be guns in the future which will be self-loading and fire many rounds so quickly your archer wouldn't have time to drawn a single breath. That is one reason why guns become irresistible. Another is the fact - Stott, how long did it take you to become proficient with your bow?"

"Milady, some ten years or so."

"And you have to keep exercising to keep up your strength and accuracy?"

"Aye, milady. It requires two to three bells every day, when I am able."

"It takes very little to train a man - or woman - to use a gun. Provided he - or she - is physically able to pick the thing up and point it in the right direction it requires little to no exercise at all. Your aim and accuracy can be improved by training but you don't need that for basic use. That's the other reason why guns replaced bows. It's just so much easier to use and doesn't require continuous physical training. An army can quickly be raised from the population and trained to use guns in maybe ten to fourteen days."

There was a silence in the room as her audience digested her words.

"Milady," Feteran asked, "what of the disadvantages of these weapons? There must be some."

Garia nodded. "Of course, just as with any weapon there are two sides. The powder has to be kept dry at all times or it won't work. When the powder explodes it acts on the gun as well as on the shot. Now, the shot is very light so it leaves the barrel quickly but the gun also has a recoil which will kick the stock back into your shoulder. If you don't know that's going to happen, you won't brace yourself and you could get hurt. The recoil could even spoil your aim if you don't allow for it. Also, the explosion will attempt to come out wherever it can and that includes the fuse hole. If your face is too close, you'll get burnt. The smoke, as we have seen, is nasty and can choke you. It will also blacken your face. After a shot or three the barrel is going to get hot. If it gets hot enough, the powder may explode as you push it down the barrel."

Garia's eyes narrowed as she thought about this. She turned to Feteran.

"Okay, commander, I think you can put that down now. I want to take a look at the other one."

All eyes turned to the defective gun. About a quarter of the top, at the stock end, had peeled away to either side revealing the inside of the barrel. The barrel end of the stock itself was all splinters and hung loosely.

"Master Brydas, your opinion, please. I think this barrel was made from a slab of iron folded over into a pipe and welded along the top."

The smith squatted down by the gun and examined it, running his finger along the top of the barrel.

"I agree, milady. The work appears well done but there is an obvious weakness along the seam."

Garia frowned. Why would anyone use such a poor technique? She joined the smith beside the weapon.

"Several things don't add up here," she mused. "Look! The stock is attached by means of rivets drilled through the barrel. The rivet holes make another weakness. You can see where those on this side have torn." She turned the barrel over so that they could all see. "And the end of the barrel is blocked off by the wood of the stock. Whoever designed this had to know that each use of the gun would burn away some of the stock! Eventually this gun has to fail."

"As you say, milady," Brydas agreed. "A poor design indeed. If you were to design such a gun, milady, what would you do?"

"A solid rod of steel," she said promptly, "bored out using a lathe. I'd either not bore it right out or screw or weld in a plug of steel to close off the end. I'd also weld flanges on the outside to fix the stock to." Garia shrugged. "Some of these early weapons, made before things like steam engines existed to power lathes, were cast in one piece and then bored out by hand. There are a number of different ways to do this, and these particular guns aren't made using any of them."

She looked at the exposed inside of the barrel.

"This is all pitted," she said. "The gunpowder residue is corrosive so you have to clean the barrels out thoroughly to prevent them getting eaten away from the inside. I wonder." She stood up and turned to Keren. "I think we have just gotten a lucky break. These guns were deliberately designed to fail after a little use. I think that whoever Yod has is telling them how to make weapons that work for a while, so that their men get used to using them, but will then fail when they need them to work in the field. What do you think?"

"Garia, I don't know enough about the smith's art to make a judgment. Master Brydas is our expert here."

"Yet, Highness, I am no expert in the making of guns. However, I believe that milady has the right of it. Knowing how a gun should work, I would not have made one in this fashion. What does this mean, Highness?"

"If Garia is right, and Yod has someone from Earth helping them as Palarand has herself, then I believe that they may not be providing help freely. They are revealing just enough to seem to make an advantage but no more."

"Or," Garia added, "they might not know any more. Depending where they came from this may be the extent of their knowledge of guns." She gestured to the weapons. "We don't know, and I can't see how we'll ever find out, do you?"

"Only when the next nasty surprise comes," Keren said.

"Milady," Bleskin asked, "What must we do if we find these weapons in the field? I understand that we may capture them, as you have done with these, but what if that is not possible? How may we destroy them?"

"Another good question. If you can't take them away, then you can disable them several ways. The weak point is the powder. That has to be kept dry. Throw it in water or dump water on it. If you have to, pee on it." Some of the men laughed. "If it is safe enough to do, then spread it out and set fire to it - but you'd best have somewhere to hide when it goes up. Actually, strike that. If you can capture the powder, do that even if it means leaving the guns. The guns will be useless without any powder, while powder has other uses." She considered. "Bend or flatten the barrel if you can, using a mace or a big rock or something. Block off the muzzle, uh, that is, the open end. Hammer something like a lump of wood down it. Even jamming it into earth or mud will make it impossible to use a gun until it is cleaned out again. Throw it into the sea - I don't think dropping it into a river will do it much harm, but something like the Sirrel which has some salt water in it will corrode the barrel and make it useless. If you have time, and the guns are bigger than these, hammer nails into the fuse holes so they can't be fired."

Keren said, "You mentioned modern weapons. Should you say something about those here?"

Garia thought. "I'm not going to give you all a history of guns," she decided, "but guns aren't the only way that you can use explosives. For instance, if Master Brydas were to make a bottle shape out of iron, and fill it with powder, you could light a fuse and throw the bottle at your enemy. When the bottle explodes it will break into bits of metal which will fly everywhere, killing anyone close enough. We call that a grenade. If you then combine the idea of a gun with a grenade, you'll see that you could fire a grenade - or shell, we would call it then - out of the barrel at your enemy. If you do everything right it would explode just as it lands the other end. We call that a mortar.

"Thinking more broadly, you could use a powder charge to demolish stone buildings, forts, castles or even things like that dam up the valley. That's why capturing powder is a good idea. Powder and the explosives which followed it are widely used in mining, Master Yarling. By drilling a hole, putting explosive down the bottom and filling the hole in before detonating it, you can split rocks, even make large tunnels inside mountains."

Yarling sat up. "This is true, milady?"

"Oh, yes. But, of course, it's dangerous. If you don't set your charges right you could bring down the whole tunnel, or you could set off some of the gases that are found underground. But used right you can tunnel places you never could just using hand tools. Remember I told you we could remove whole mountains? That's how we do it. We blast a layer of rock off the top, turn it into rubble and then we have huge machines to take it away."

"Milady, might we experiment with the powder you have there? I would like to see what happens."

"I would rather not, Master Miner. We have no idea how this powder is made so we don't know how strong it is. I'm not against the principle of trying it out, you understand, I just don't want anybody hurt using something we know nothing about. There'll be plenty of time spent making our own powder and finding out what it can do, I promise you."

"Thank you, milady."

"I'll tell you all a little about the kind of guns we use in Kansas, but don't imagine that I'm telling you everything. If I did, we'd still be here when winter arrives. As I briefly mentioned, we have guns that essentially load themselves. The powder or other explosive is put in a brass cartridge - a cylinder, that is - along with a bullet. You can have a stack of these cartridges in a holder called a magazine. When you fire one, the recoil throws out the spent cartridge and loads the next one ready. Or the cartridges can be on a long belt that goes in one side of the gun and out the other. These guns are bigger but can still be carried by one or two men and can fire up to twenty to fifty rounds in a single heartbeat.

"Getting larger, we have big guns called cannon. I guess that these guns here are actually a kind of hand cannon, but what I'm describing is big enough it has to be mounted on wheels and towed by animals or a self-propelled wagon. These guns can throw iron balls this size," she held her hands eight or so inches apart, "maybe five hundred to a thousand strides. These are the kind of gun that I mentioned could batter down stone walls."

Bleskin nodded as Garia continued, "Instead of iron balls these days we use projectiles called shells. These are shaped to fit down the barrel and fly straight and true. Inside the shell is an explosive charge and a fuse of its own that goes off when it lands the other end. Modern guns can throw a shell weighing as much as me as far as thirty marks or so. Accurately. Some shells can even be guided once they leave the barrel."

Some of the men whistled in amazement.

"As for accuracy," she continued, "There are specialized guns used for hunting and for particular tasks in warfare called sniping. These guns would have a long, thin barrel, a small telescope for sighting on the top and can hit - and kill - a target over three marks distant. Once we get started on this road, men, your world will become very dangerous. On Earth we have had several wars which involved most countries in the whole world. Millions of people died in those wars and not just soldiers. I really really don't want that to happen here if I can help it. That's why I wanted to keep this secret, but since the secret is out then I want you to be able to keep safe. Do you all understand?"

There was a chorus of "Aye, Milady," from her men.

"Right," she said. "I think we've spent enough time on this topic. Sookie must be wondering what we are all doing up here. If anyone has questions you all know where to come."

Bleskin clapped his hands. "As milady says, perhaps we had better all get back to work. Lads?"

"You paint a bleak picture," Keren said as the room emptied.

""We didn't know what would happen, when we thought up these weapons on Earth," she replied. "Of course, it took many centuries and it all happened very slowly. Here, the jump in technology may make things worse, not better. Let's go and find Sookie. My throat is raw, I need a drink."

~o~O~o~

Feteran joined Garia and Keren in the stables just before lunch.

"Milady, I have chosen four men to send out on patrol, with your permission."

"Of course, commander. Patrol? Any particular reason?"

"I would like to send them to find that ravine the brigands are said to use, milady. I do not expect the two survivors to still be there but the men will take the necessary precautions. It may be useful to see what traces they may have left behind."

"And we still have the belongings of those that were killed," Keren pointed out. "We haven't had time to inspect those yet."

Feteran inclined his head. "As you say, Highness." He gave a wry smile. "We have been somewhat busy of late."

"Is four men enough?" Garia asked. "I don't want them to end up on the wrong end of a gun. We don't know that there were only two."

"Milady, I believe I have chosen carefully of those men with experience in country such as this. Stott, of course. His history of hunting means that the party will have less chance of being surprised. Toranar grew up on a rural farm and knows the ways of the wild. Those two have already faced a gun. Henard, while a palace man, was brought up near Teldor and is familiar with rock-climbing and narrow places. Briswin, because he is local and claims knowledge of the ravine we suspect."

"Briswin?" Keren questioned. "You would risk a novice on such an expedition?"

"Highness, he says that most of the young boys of Blackstone have explored such narrow places as this. He is aware of the likely danger but with the others nearby he should be safe enough. After all, we do not expect to find anybody. He is also beginning to show promise with the long bow, Highness. I believe that he will be an asset to the others."

"Very well. Garia?"

She nodded. "Agreed. Commander, how long do you think they will take?"

"If they leave immediately after lunch, milady, I would expect them back before the evening meal. It is not, after all, very far away."

"And if there's a problem? Do you have a back-up plan?"

"Milady, if they are not back by the time we are finished eating this evening, then we will have the whole town to help us find them. Even now, men are building the pyres for the funerals."

"Of course. Then that's agreed. Let's go, we have to clean up for lunch."

~o~O~o~

"Master Jepp! What can we do for you?"

Garia, Keren and Merizel were sitting in her office, about to begin writing the letter which they both knew would cause consternation when it reached the palace. Jepp had knocked on the door while they were deciding tactics.

"Highness, Milady, Milady Merizel. Am I interrupting anything?"

"No, Master Jepp," Keren said with a smile. "Not yet, I think. We have a difficult report to make to my parents and we were considering our options. Come, have a seat."

"Thank you, Highness." When Jepp was seated he continued, "Your announcement to the town was well received, I think. To discover that our shoemaker was prepared to commit treason," he pursed his lips and shook his head, "that came as a shock, but as milady explained, once the bait was taken he may have had little choice. Milady's suggestion of a peace officer, a... Sheriff, is a good one. With miners and carters arriving daily in the town we must work hard if we are to have peace in Blackstone. We hope that the town will still be in good order when you next return to visit your people, milady."

"So do I, Master Jepp," Garia replied. "I'm hoping things will quieten down once we leave. So what can we do for you today?"

"Milady, I wish to consult you in your capacity as Guildmistress." He considered his words. "I have worked these several weeks with Milady Merizel and I have found her to have exceptional ability in the arts I practise. I am considering sponsoring her for membership of the Guild of Scribes as journeyman. Or, as would be the case, journeywoman. Before you came to Blackstone, milady, I must confess it would never have occurred to me to sponsor any woman but your own presence is proof that others may harbor similar talents. Would you countersign my proposal, Guildmistress?"

Merizel flushed with embarrassment while Garia's mouth opened and stayed there.

Keren asked, "Is what you propose customary for your guild, Master Jepp?"

"Not customary, Highness, but not exceptional either. It is occasionally the case that a chartered scribe may discover someone among the people who has learned to read and write sufficiently well that their abilities would be furthered by attaining guild membership. Such people are usually the sons of tradesmen but not exclusively. Milady Merizel is such a person."

Garia said, "You don't need me in order to make your case, do you?" Jepp shook his head. "But no doubt having someone of my rank signing the proposal helps." She thought. "Would it matter that we are closely associated?"

"I do not believe so, Guildmistress. Looked at one way, it could be said that you have apprenticed Milady Merizel so it is natural for her to progress to the next stage."

Garia smiled. "I agree, Master Jepp. Merry, would you accept this proposal? It would mean that you became a guild member as well as being a noble."

"Master Jepp, Garia, I don't know what to think," Merizel said. "This is a complete surprise." She looked thoughtful. "Aye, perhaps I have learned a little of the scribes' art. Garia, would you let me do it?"

"Of course! I would be a bit biased if it was only my own opinion but since Master Jepp has come right out of the blue with it, then I'll fully support it."

"Thank you, Guildmistress," Jepp said. "Then, if I may, I shall go and write my proposal so that it may travel to the capital with your own missive." He began to rise.

"Before you leave, Master!" Merizel hopped to her feet. "There is something I wanted to discuss with you and I think Garia will be interested as well."

Jepp sat down again. "Mistress?"

"The day before yesterday, when His Highness and Milady Garia were busy being attacked, I went to see Master Horbelan to learn about tuning my dajan the old way. I discovered that he remembered a method which Garia says is like that used on Earth."

"As you say, milady. I remember you mentioning it the last time we spoke. Go on."

"Well, as I was coming back down the street I was stopped by one of the local girls. Julina, I think her name was. She told me that she was able to read and write, but only just about enough to read such letters as her family would likely receive. She didn't think that her request was important enough to bother the Baroness so she approached me instead. She wanted to know if I could possibly be able to help her with her letters. I said that we were all very busy and we would be leaving in a week or two but I would try and find out what we could do."

Jepp nodded. "It is true, there are a number of townspeople, youngsters as well, who can read and write in Blackstone. Many cannot, of course, but some few can. Milady, what do you advise?"

Garia frowned. "I don't know, Master Jepp. If we are not going to be around much longer it will fall to you to provide support. Would you be prepared to set up a... school, perhaps, for anyone in the town to come and learn to read and write? I'll contribute funds and supplies, if you will."

"Why, milady, it is a good idea, but I am not sure that I can manage a school as well as those tasks already laid upon me. Will you give me leave to consider this proposal? And I may ask advice of Lady Merizel for further details."

"Yes, of course, Master Jepp! It was always my wish that everybody - everybody - should be capable of reading and writing in due time. Where better to start than here in Blackstone? Keren?"

He nodded. "Aye, Garia. This is a good plan and I am sure that my father would approve as well. Master Jepp, bring to us a proposal for setting up a school and you shall be assured of my full support. You would doubtless have to find someone - from Tranidor, I deem - to be your teacher, someone who would need to be paid."

"Aye, Highness. With milady's permission, the costs of setting up such a school and paying the teacher would come from the town's funds." Jepp smiled. "We find those funds increased lately, for some reason."

"That's the way I would do it," Garia agreed, nodding. "Bring us a plan, Master Jepp."

Jepp stood again and bowed. "By your leave, Highness, Milady, Milady." He turned and left.

Keren groaned and put his head in his hands.

"We've been putting this off long enough. Perhaps it is time we started writing. Do you agree?"

Merizel shuffled her pile of paper and took a fresh pen. "Whenever you are ready, Highness."

~o~O~o~

When Keren, Garia and Merizel emerged blinking into the yard in the late afternoon light it was to find it filled with men and frayen. Feteran noticed them and came over, his expression one of surprise.

"Highness, Milady! It is as though you have fought another battle."

"Aye, Feteran, you could say so," Keren replied. "We strove mightily to present all the facts to Their Majesties without coloring the account with our fears or mistakes. I fear Milady Merizel's fingers will not take a pen again this day, she has rewritten our report so many times."

"You could say that, Highness," Merizel agreed, flexing her right hand. "But, I think you were right to choose your words carefully. When that report reaches the palace it will be as carefully considered by its readers, we had to make sure they did not misunderstand anything."

"As you say, Merry." Keren looked at the sky. "We've left it too late to get it away today, haven't we? But there is time for the packet to be taken to the Messenger Office and for Selden to arrange a rider to leave at first light tomorrow."

"Do you wish me to do that, Highness? There is time before we have to prepare for the evening meal."

Keren nodded heavily. "Aye, Merry, if you would. The sooner it is out of our grasp the better, since we will not be tempted to make further changes."

Merizel grinned. "I can approve of that, Highness, since it would be me who would have to make those changes! With your leave, I shall take it."

She curtseyed and returned to the office to pick up the package. Keren turned an inquiring expression to Feteran.

"Highness, we were returning the captured frayen to their rightful owners," Feteran explained. "There are four for the miners, two which belonged to the shoemaker and his son and two which Sethan says were those of Trogan. There is a ninth which no man can recognize. Highness, Milady, I intended to return the gangmaster his mounts and retain those of Trogan's men as we did before. What should be done with the others?"

Keren looked at Garia. "Any ideas? How many are we likely to need for the return journey, Garia? Our numbers have increased, we will need more mounts."

She nodded. "That's true. Um, commander, return those back to the miners and hang on to the rest for now until we know how big our party will be going back and how many will be riding." Feteran nodded. "I'd like to return the shoemaker's two back to his widow if I can but not if it leaves us short. He did commit treason, after all."

"As you command, milady."

Keren asked, "Have you looked at their gear yet, commander?"

"Briefly, Highness. There appears to be little of interest to us in any of the bags, except that most had larger sums of coin than one might expect for a miner. Milady, would you wish to confiscate the coin and any valuables we find?"

"Yes, commander, do that. We'll keep that money, I think. Call it compensation for the injuries we received."

"As you command, milady."

"Oh, and any personal effects you find, they can go back to the families - I guess that would be through the gangmaster for the miners."

"Aye, milady."

Four riders came in through the carriage entrance from the street, the last towing another frayen. Garia recognized the patrol Feteran had sent out earlier. All dismounted in front of them, Toranar saluting her as he approached.

"Highness, Milady. We have returned, we saw no-one," he reported, "but discovered this beast loose at the further end of the narrow way."

"Another beast!" Keren said. "Perhaps we should start up a company trading in riding animals."

"Toranar," Garia said, "There's too much going on right now, we'll hear your report later. Get all the beasts sorted out first, it will be time for our meal and then we have to go down the street for the funerals."

"As you command, milady."

Garia turned to Keren. "Now, if you will excuse us, it takes a little longer for us to make ourselves ready than it does for a man. I'll see you at table, Keren."

~o~O~o~

"I remember Thoran joining His Majesty's Palace Guard," Bleskin said to the crowd. "I cannot tell you that he was a talented youngster, at least not at first, nor was he one of those who may try the patience of all they encounter. But I can tell you that he understood his training well and became a reliable member of the guard. Life in the palace is not for those who wish to do great deeds and win high honors, since the lands of Palarand are peaceful enough nowadays and the palace even more so. Rather, palace life is for those who would do their appointed tasks diligently and quietly, for the routine of the palace does not change much from day to day."

There was a smothered cough from Keren and Bleskin remembered who his companions were.

"Ahem!" he continued, "Of course the routine of the palace has been turned upon its head by the appearance of your Baroness... His Majesty's troops have needed their wits about them these last few months." There were some chuckles from the crowd. "But this is the day when we remember Thoran, not those who still live among us. He became a tried and trusted member of the guard, conscientious in his duty and always ready to help when such was required. He was not one of those who strictly kept the rule but rather one who was able to see the intent instead of the word. In barracks he was ever neat, tidy and clean and I do not recall any occasion when his conduct was questioned. I wish more followed the example he set to us. He will be missed by all of those who wear His Majesty's uniform."

Feteran spoke next, describing their journey north with Bleskin and their subsequent arrival at Blackstone, ending with the battle and Thoran's death at the hands of 'an unknown weapon'.

"I do not think he suffered," he said, "indeed, I do not think he even knew that he was in any danger. What happened to him happened so fast that he died as quickly as by an arrow through the heart. I was proud to serve beside such a man as him."

Keren spoke briefly, followed by some of the other men who had been his companions since they had all left the palace. By arrangement the eulogies were said before any of the pyres were lit, because the noise of the flames would drown the later ones. Once the words for Thoran had been said it was the townspeoples' turn to say their piece over the two bodies that concerned them most, for they were two of their own, the shoemaker Chorandar and his son Perril. What happened next was a surprise for Garia, for the townspeople made no attempt to soften their words. As with the life of whom they spoke, their memories were of both good and bad.

"I remember 'ee when 'ee was birthed," one very old woman said. "'ees mother 'ad hard time bringing 'im out. We thought 'ee was one of those wouldn't live long but 'ee did, it was a struggle all 'is child'ood. Quiet boy 'ee was, di'nt bother no-one but di'nt get on with most 'is age neither. I thought it was good when 'ee were taken in by old Jerzan the old shoemaker, I though it were what 'ee needed t' set 'im roight. But when 'ee came back a journeyman, 'ee were different. 'Ee 'ad airs and graces then, thought 'isself above us of the town. I won't say no more 'bout that but I will say 'is work was good enough. Why, these 'ere boots I 'ave on now are 'is, and they be at least ten year old!"

Many others took a turn, spelling out for all both sides of the character of the man who had made and repaired every item of footwear worn in the town. Garia understood that this was the way that the man's memory would be preserved, this was the way that most had known him. It contrasted sharply with earthly practices where a man considered good would have his faults glossed over but a bad man would have nothing remembered but the evil he did.

Less was said of the son, since the son was not likely to have a funeral pyre of his own. True, he had less years to make his mark on the world, but it was obvious that his father had been his prime influence and that he had agreed with his father's attitude to those around him. He came across as a thoroughly unpleasant young man with a nasty, vindictive streak. Several were of the opinion that his early death was the best that could happen to him, before he became any worse.

Everybody present ignored the five bodies on the largest pyre. The traitorous wagoneer Durko and Vordan the bandit were known to the townspeople but the others were strangers. Best to keep it that way.

The priest stepped forward and recited the simple words that signaled the ending of a life. Once he had finished Bleskin took the offered torch and applied it to Thoran's pyre. He then bowed and handed it to Sandara who did the same to her husband's wood pile. Everybody stood back as the flames took hold. Bleskin handed the torch to the priest who walked over and tossed it onto the third pile. The crowd watched in silence as the roaring flames reduced all to ashes the same color as the clothes most wore before they all turned away and began the short walk back to their homes. Bleskin escorted Sandara up the street as Keren led Garia through the carriage entrance into the yard.

"I hope it is long before we must needs do that again," Keren said. "Yet we know it must come to all one day."

Garia was silent as they waited for their men to disperse. Then, "What do you think your father will do when he reads our letter, Keren? Will he jump up and down and shout?"

"I do not think so, Garia. He is not one of those who shows his anger thus. He will read our dispatch carefully and then, once he has considered all, he will issue commands. You know what those are likely to be."

"Was it a mistake, do you think, to send you - us - off the way he did? We're both young with little experience of places like Blackstone. Trogan is one thing but this other - have we all been incredibly naive, Keren?"

He smiled at her. "Yes, and no, Garia." She pouted at him. "We are naive, aye," he continued, " as any our age might be, but we are both accounted adults and we must needs learn those lessons all who would be adults must - or die in the attempt. Aye, perhaps my father misread the situation as we all did, but I believe his decision to send us forth was correct. After all," he grinned, "we survived both challenges, didn't we? He may have misread the threat from Yod but he did not misread our abilities, did he?"

"Perhaps. But it was frayen shit and the chance appearance of a ptuvil that got us out of the second one, Keren. We can't keep riding our luck like that, and the King knows it."

"Aye. But we are about done with Blackstone, are we not? I have grown to like this small place and I will be sad when we are forced to leave. But leave we must, if we are to return to the palace before winter begins. I'm sure that there are many Guildsmen and Questors who are anxious to consult you, too."

"Yeah." Garia was deep in thought. "I'll certainly be busy once we get back to the palace! There are still one or two details to be sorted out here before we go, though. A Steward and a Sheriff. I must speak to Bezan about town zoning. And Yarling about his proposed mineshafts. And the seamstresses about some traveling gear." She gestured around her with a hand. "I have to decide what to do with this place once we go. I can't just close it down until we come back next spring."

"Why not? There are nobles who do just that, moving between summer and winter quarters."

"It's not the same, though. It would be a waste to leave a building like this standing empty when Blackstone is going to be getting bigger." Garia turned. "Hmm. Lots to think about, Keren. Let's go and look in on our animals and then turn in. It's been a tiring day."

"Aye. At least they aren't faced with such problems."

up
390 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hmmm, I was kind of hoping

Hmmm, I was kind of hoping that some evidence might have been left in the ravine that might add to what is known. The return journey will be much harder with so much more equipment and people, especially with the threat still out there. The whole group will have to be extra vigilant, I wonder how quickly the King will dispatch troops to meet and escort them. With new saddles and no wagons I would assume troops could swiftly join with Garia and Keren before they even reach Tranidor,that's of course if the ride fast.

Great story as always, I'm looking forward to more.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Evidence

There's a little more about what the patrol found which will be told in the next chapter.

The return journey? Do you really think it is going to be that simple?

Penny

It's quite possible...

...the troops sent from Palarand to Blackstone will have (unintentional) adventures of their own before arriving at Blackstone. Also, even though the returning party will be significantly larger, I wouldn't put it past someone to attempt an ambush or even try the (long/cross)bow equivalent of a sniper shot or two.

Meanwhile, with the resident population of Blackstone set to become more literate over the next few years, it may be that in less than a year's time there may even be sufficient demand for adult literacy classes in addition to the school for youngsters.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Too Short!

As always, I'm unfulfilled because I get lost in the story and it always ends too soon for my taste. Great chapter!

It's a problem

If I made them shorter, I'd get them out sooner. If I made them longer I might be tempted to pad them out a bit. That might satisfy some readers but the gap between postings would increase.

It's the old saying: You can't please everybody all the time.

Penny

It's a problem

The length is just about right. I'm just being a selfish ol' goat.

Best,

DJ

Schools and guns

Melange's picture

Blackstone is turning out to be quite the little cultural Petri-dish for Garia, testing out new things :)

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the nation react to how a sleepy end-of-nowhere village might turn into the first fully literate community!

Thanks for another chapter, Penny. We enjoy them so :)

Petri dishes

I didn't think of that but you are right. Things can be tried out up there that only affect relatively few people. It should be easier to tweak any problems than trying the same thing in the capital.

Of course, certain things get started in the capital. There's no way to disguise the scale of what the printers are up to, for example. And I wonder what Milsy is up to?

Penny

What's Milsy is up to?

That question, alone, could account for three or more chapters!

Milsy?

The answer is probably electrifying!


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Your comment

Is just shocking, SHOCKING, I tell ya :)

Milsy?

My, my, aren't we just the welder's arc! ;>)

DJ

Milsy

Melange's picture

I'm sure she's just had some spark of inspiration, possibly regarding some current situation :)

Milsy!

Milsy has her own story arc!

I don't know when you'll see it, but almost certainly not until Garia and Co. return to base, since the stories must eventually dovetail together.

Penny

Milsy!

We're going to have more stories around here than we can track PDQ.

DJ

Master Jepp is good people,

LibraryGeek's picture

Master Jepp is good people, putting Merizel up for journeywoman for her scribal work. Another step on the path to an enlightened society. And schools are good.

Poor Snep feels neglected, even if he did get to stretch his legs recently.

I like how they painted a true portrait of the dead in the funerary services.

Thanks for writing such a nifty story, the amount of thought put into it is amazing. I eagerly await each installment.

Yours,

John Mead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

It's shorter, but I don't

It's shorter, but I don't think it's a bad length. The purpose of this chapter was to close out some major plot points, and set the stage for the return journey. In that, it suceeded.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Banks and Wagons

A bank still needs to be established before the town's treasury is robbed. Several wagons must be purchased, almost immediately, along with the necessary dranakh to pull them. So much to do and so little time to do it.

As to The Claw

As it is Garia's temporary seat of power/palace? perhaps it could function as the Town/Village Hall or a community Center.

Until they have time to build a purpose built one, why not use it as the school? She wants eventually everyone, adults and children to be able to read and write even if at first is is only the basics.

With a building that large many could be accommodated. Once more have the basics down pat they could help teach others.With the kitchen, dorms and stables farmers and other living far from town could come in for a time to be taught yet not have to travel back and forth so often. BTW winter is down time on most farms, except for cattle and animals, The perfect time to start schooling the population.

Perhaps Garia or Merry could instruct a few on the Garian number system? Then they teach others.

IE get a start on teaching basic mathematics. They will need that for all the road building and other engineering projects ahead.

As to the guns, could Yod have sent out older, IE first production models? IE they KNEW these were unreliable. If they risked the loss of their new secret weapon why risk the best. They only were truly needed for this one task, capture Garia and kill off any close pursuit.

BTW I think Garia has it right in her response to Yod letting the cat of guns out of the bag. Parland needs a defense. Her ideas about better guns are important, even the blacksmith noticed the weaknesses in the deign of the failed gun, but her ideas about grenades and mortars are very insightful.

They would be easier and quicker produced than a reliable gun and every bit as deadly when and if needed. Heck, a grenade is the core to building land mines or other nasty surprises should Yod invade. Such weapons would buy Parland time to build better defenses and equip the troops with proper guns/rifles evenually.

BTW where DID the surviving and the wounded thug(s) flee too?

As to coming out of a dark building exhausted into the sun, that would seem to describe what is likely to happen with Garia and Keren if their romance heats up much more. And as teenagers that will not take long at all. Just another close call where one saves the others life or one came close to being killed/maimed? Add in a little wine , get them alone and FOOOM!

Be more than a big puff of smoke and flame when THAT powder keg is set off.

I agree, the King will send a fast mounted troop to get to Blackstone quickly and probably follow it up with a heavier troops in support. After what happened at the castle and at his brothers castle and now in Blackstone he will take no chances.

Merry the next guildswoman... assuming Garia's doppelganger at the palace is not well on her way to being one of Parnland's first electrical engineers. She was helping out with the electoral experiments if I recall from the letters Garia and Keren received.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. A Sheriff and a new town leader are a must. One of Garia's top to-do list items I imagine. Followed by the school and land zoning.

John in Wauwatosa

Dancing a jig!

From the comments, Garia and Keren are going to be busier than an Irish Leprechaun dancing a jig in the throat of a volcano!

DJ

Oh no, Not Petards !!!

I can just see them moulding little pots of cement and stones and filling them with powder, and wrapping them with cord. I can indeed see the enemy "being hoist on the horns of their own petard". :)

Gwendolyn

Wait til they get home !

It seems to be a foregone conclusion that there will be conflict with Yod, after all this planet is not the garden of Eden. Yet, these people seem oddly mild and compliant, a trait which I would have thought is good. It seems like there are so many aspects of this story waiting to burst upon the scene; like watching popcorn pop!

Myself, I am just freaking out, waiting to see what Dad and Mom have to say about Keren and Garia's deepening relationship ! :)

Gwendolyn

Wait til they get home !

It's a good thing they now have gun powder for there will be an excuse for fireworks!

DJ

I can understand why she explained the technology

... the attackers employed but there was no real need to say what kind of upgrades are possible.

The use of shell casings and the stuff took a while to implement based on previous commentators and she need not have clue them in on how to make weaponry that much more lethal faster.

Finally, could that loose frayen be the frayen of the guy who had that arrow in him?

Kim

I just spent much of my spare time reading this entire series

I just spent much of my spare time reading this entire series from the start and have enjoyed reading every word of it. So of course I was so very glad to see this newest chapter posted. Now that gunpowder and firearms have been let out of the box and have been introduced by the forces of Yod, it seems likely that an arms race is about to start in spite of Garia's effort and best intentions to keep such technology from being introduced. It is a good bet that with the strong support that Garia has built with the King and guilds, the head start on what is about to become a very rapidly expanding industrial base and her guiding hand, the Kingdom should soon be in a position to out class any firearms that Yod may develop. As the very inferior design and construction of the shotguns that Yod has deployed suggests, as Garia has speculated, that it would seem that the person from earth that Yod is using is ether not very knowledgeable of fire arms or is deliberately trying to keep Yod from developing any faster then they can safely get away with, which suggests that they are being forced to help Yod under duress. Hopefully the King has some well placed spies in Yod who will soon be able to report on the real situation on what is happening in Yod. With the advantages of steam powered laths and other soon to be developed machinery like steam powered drill presses, milling and stamping machines plus the coming ability to produce high quality steel in mass quantities, the Kingdom will soon be able to start producing safe, reliable, and much more accurate firearms than Yod. Garia, will likely also introduce rifling and assembly line mass production methods, which has already begun with the new paper mills that she has helped get started. All this, along with the new semaphore communications system currently being installed will make the kingdom soon become a power to be reckoned with.

Thanks for writing such a great story.

Hugs,
Tamara Jeanne

Stolen Thunder

terrynaut's picture

John in Wisconsin stole some of my thunder. I'll just say that I miss Snep and I'm happy to see more evidence that whoever is helping Yod with guns is likely doing so under duress. I hope we eventually get to see this other person and that the person is rescued. We shall see.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Hm.. Bullets are cast, not

Hm.. Bullets are cast, not turned. Cannons were predominantly cast, not bored. They were cast, then the bores were milled out to be even.

Here's a neat link to some information on barrels.

http://www.border-barrels.com/articles/bmart.htm

You can (sort of) turn a lathe into a bore drill, but it's not the best way to do it :)

Pattern welding was the main way of making barrels until relatively recently.

http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2010/05/barrel-making-pa... (india)
http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2010/05/barrel-making-ea... (spain/europe)

The Spain/Europe method would be the most effective right now. The short of it is that you make a tube of metal slightly smaller than your bore, then wrap a long ribbon of steel around it, weld the edges together, and then bore out the tube mandrel.

If Gary had watched a couple of the shows on the history of gun making, he'd probably have been _briefly_ exposed to the ribbon method, the damascus (wootz) method, and then modern methods.

Heck, I was refreshing my memory and ran across a retired machinist in Australia that was modifying his metal lathe to bore and ream out barrels. Good lord, it worked, but *snerk*.

As for the rifling... that's the hardest part. Be better to go with smoothbore flintlock muskets, at least to start. Reliable, easy to learn how to use, and doesn't require the level of care for the rifling/barrel. Bore standardization and issuing three sizes of ball should do the job. (As you fire gunpowder, either sugar or charcoal based, the saltpetre cakes on the inside of the barrel. That's what causes the pitting - it absorbs moisture from the air and converts to an acid. You pour boiling water down the barrel to dissolve the salt and rinse before it can affect the barrel)

Hmmm.. If you made the barrel with an interrupted screw locking mechanism, you could unlock the barrel, pour water straight down the barrel, and lock it back in place after drying - in a couple of minutes, rather than the half hour it normally takes :)

That then requires that you know how to do screw threading :) (But, you'd then have a breech loading black powder gun. Stuff in the ball, a wad, the powder charge, and lock it down. Stick a wire in the touch hole to pierce the tissue paper wrapping the charge, and prime the pan. Not exactly -efficient-, but neat)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

If only...

Frayen telepathy was two way - they're very good at sensing human needs / desires / requests and acting accordingly, unfortunately they can't easily communicate back. If they could, the recovered (and spare) Frayen would almost certainly have a story or two to tell about what they'd been up to (and where)! Of course, it's possible they could reveal some clues, e.g. condition / well-being / responsiveness to human contact / flora embedded in their coat; not to mention the observations of and any evidence collected by the away team (who had the good sense not to wear red...)

For the sake of both safety and privacy, it's probably best for ordnance R&D to be done well outside town boundaries (out of visual and aural range), but close to a stream (for extinguishing accidents). Until guns other than early prototypes are seen and used in anger, it's probably best to keep the knowledge of them restricted to a "need to know" basis.

Meanwhile, on a lighter note, twelve tone equal temperament looks set for a comeback combined with the diatonic scale :)
(Hands up those who actually understood that sentence...)

Sadly, it's unlikely anyone will hear the strains of a certain 1580 ballad - let alone Garia doing Keren wrong by casting him off discourteously...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Powder Works

As I recall, back in the colonial days a lot of powder works were located on islands in rivers if a large enough one was available. Don't know what is available back in Palarand, but I suppose if there is a large enough one available the firearms manufacturing and powder mill could be located on the same island and thus better isolated for both safety and secrecy. Such an island could incorporate a testing range for new weapons also. In spite of reading a number of H. Beam Piper's books I'm still largely ignorant of the making of gunpowder other than the amounts of 75-15-10. There is a process of making it into a meal and grinding (milling) it into the finished powder but I'd have to look all that up.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Main powder works

The main Armory and Powder Works for the Continental Army was set back around 2000 feet from the east shore of the Conneticut River in Springfield MA. The Springfield Armory was still the primary Federal Armory during the Civil War.

Gundpowder isn't _exactly_

Gundpowder isn't _exactly_ 75/15/10, but close enough.

You grind the charcoal (or sugar), potassium nitrate, and sulfur into powder, then mix with water. Grind the dried cake into grains.

You now have serpentine powder.

Wet the powder, mix thoroughly, and rather than grinding a dried cake, slowly force the slurry through a warmed plate pierced with hexagonal holes (with slight prongs on each side to create a notch). Scrape the hardened grains off of the plate as they come through.

You now have 'corned' powder.

The grinding processes are the most dangerous, but all of them can be lethal. Not so much because it's a low explosive, but because of the dust in the air. Flour mills and grain silos have been known to go 'boom'.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Telepathy in Anmarian animals

er....I was under the impression it was the dranakh that were telepathic, the frayen less so. Sure Snep and Garia have a communication, but that's more horse/rider thingy than telepathy. It was a dranakh that shifted to allow Stott a clear shot at the Battle of Main Street, and it was the dranakh that galloped a gazillion marks to come to the rescue from the ptuvil and it is the dranakh that turn up on time to be hitched to the wagons.

Gun development will depend upon better manufacturing techniques and so for the time being, it will be done in or near Palarand City, surely. I don't think that Master Brydas up in Blackstone has the facilities.

I'm wondering when Garia is actually going to introduce them to rock and roll.
Who will be on drums?

Cheers

J

Re-read a bit recently, when Garia first came to Blackstone

She soon wondered what to do with the... Claw when she left to spend the winter in the palace. This was right after the townsfolk started repairing it to make it usable for their new Baroness.

So the seeds of it becoming the Town Hall or country seat, local parliament and/or community building are there.

As to gunpowder and explosives manufacture/storage. Think smallish wooden buildings with strong sides but deliberately weak roofs and extensive/redundant lighting rod systems. Each surrounded by high/think earthworks and well separated. This was how ordnance was stored at major arsenals in the US and elsewhere. The decommissioned and nearly dismantled Badger Ordinance near Baraboo Wisconsin was this way.

Even the assembly and filling of shells was mostly done in small amounts in isolated buildings. Plus all the chemicals mixed and flower by gravity.

This way you reduce your losses and danger if something goes ka-boom when it should not.

The weak roof allows explosions to vent upward and away from surrounding other ammo bunkers.

The idea of using gravity flow and pinch valves, IE clamping shut an flexible pipe/hose vs mechanical valves, well for high explosives manufacture, not sure it if could be applied to gunpowder, is to all but eliminate any source of electrical sparks, static electricity or heat and friction which might cause a fire or explosion.

Gunpowder may be a low explosive but is easy to ignite and plenty dangerous.

Miss our Freyans Snep and his maybe girlfriend. Curious too who the newly found animal belonged to.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Powder rooms

During the age of sail, powder rooms on warships were all below the waterline and were lined in copper. Also, all tools were copper. The door to the powder room had a glass window and the ONLY source of light was a well-shielded lantern on the other side of that door. Also, the only foot wear allowed in a powder room were felt slippers.

As for Armories on land, on the East Coast, stone was used for the primary building material for the walls of the facilities that made gun-powder with the easily blown out roof like you discribed. For storage however, powder was usually stored in a powder room dug into the ground, built with stone or brick and then buried under alot of soil. This was for two reasons. One was to prevent destruction of the powder room by hostile acts such as artillery and the second was to damp any accidental explosion.

Oh, and barrels were ALWAYS banded with copper hoops. All other barrels got banded with iron hoops so if you ever find an old-fashioned barrel hooped with copper you will know that it was probably a gun-powder barrel.

Dangers of gunpowder

Here's a few examples of what can go wrong with gunpowder:

Cork Gunpowder Explosion: "During the course of the inquiry it was discovered that the illicit gunpowder had to be dried when brought to the Brandy Lane house. The method chosen, somewhat unwisely on hindsight, was to use a lit candle."
The Delft Explosion occurred on 12 October 1654 when a gunpowder store exploded, destroying much of the city. Over a hundred people were killed and thousands wounded.
the Dubling Gunpowder Disaster demolished as many as forty houses, and left dozens of others badly damaged. The disaster claimed the lives of 126 people, as well as inflicting countless injuries.

Meanwhile, this video shows what a single barrel exploding (at a test site) looks like, while this one shows what happens if 36 barrels worth are let rip in a building (same test site), giving an idea of the chaos that would have been caused had a certain Guido Fawkes had been successful in his nefarious scheme...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Keep in mind - they're

Keep in mind - they're setting off the barrels with modern igniters. (it might not make a huge difference)

In any case, what would normally happen is the first barrel would blow, which would shatter the barrels around it - filling the area with powder, creating a huge fuel-air explosive.

Barrels of gunpowder (well packed) are NOT that vulnerable to just blowing up - loosely packed barrels might pick up enough friction somehow, but still unlikely.

Notice that the barrel in the video blew up first (huge push), then the barrel blew. Anyone more than 50 feet away, unless hit by a chunk of barrel (shrapnel) would probably just have been knocked over and deafened.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Blowing stuff up

"Barrels of gunpowder (well packed) are NOT that vulnerable to just blowing up"

I seem to recall (not personally, of course!) that ships exploded during the Napoleonic wars and there was very little left except matchwood. The powder magazines would have been full of tightly packed barrels. I would guess that only a proportion of those actually contributed to the explosion but the fact that the ship still blew to small bits would suggest that packed powder can be detonated somehow.

I'm no explosives expert, though. And none of the above comments are likely to be relevant in the context of the story.

Penny

Of course not - but they're

Of course not - but they're fun to make (the comments, that is)

The danger is that unlike water/wine/whiskey barrels, there's no moisture (preferably) to swell the joints shut. So, you end up with barrels that can, and probably will, end up sifting powder out. If you've _opened_ one, the powder will sift out. I've made gunpowder, and I've worked with factory gunpowder ( story not relevant), and I've had to spend years dealing with carbon precipitate from another job. (doesn't sound like something a computer guy would do, does it?)

The powder ends up on _everything_, and it'll easily end up floating in the air. Fuel Air bombs are about the easiest to make and use, and will even happen spontaneously if you don't take precautions.

Someone was careless refilling a small container while working in the magazine? No problem, once or twice. Ship hits heavy seas and rocks a bit, filling the air with particles? The next person walking by with a lantern when the door is opened.... BOOM! The first flash? Not too energetic, perhaps - but enough to set some of the powder on top of a barrel to burning.... Chain reaction.

If your magazine got hit with heated shot, the sparks from the shot hitting nails, or even the heat of the shot, would set off the powder. Boom again. (Golden BB shot)

It's a strange dichotomy. You want your powder to be dry, but you want the area around to be moist, so you keep the magazine below the waterline.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Tightly Packed Gunpowder

joannebarbarella's picture

If packed tightly enough the powder will burn from the end ignited rather than explode all at once. What you have then is a rocket!

Joanne

The key to make it burn from

The key to make it burn from the end (rocket) is to give the expanding gases a way to escape. There's a fine line between maximum thrust and blow to bits, however.

If you take apart a model rocket motor/engine, you'll find that yes, it's tightly packed gunpowder, but there's a hole through the center. The burn starts at the center, then burns outwards, with the gases escaping out the back end. The rocket can be designed so that when it hits the end of the motor burn, it blows gases out the front, which pops the rocket parachute.

For fun, you can look up Steve Eves' 1/10th scale Saturn V rocket - handmade, launched, and recovered.

Here's a good article on it

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/space/rockets/4315103

---

If you hook up a motor to a roller skate (old key skate), you can get some fun action. Even with fins, it didn't go very straight. Was fun to do, though.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Yod

Hoping the other doesn’t know enough because if they are broken they will tell all.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Too much with little time

Jamie Lee's picture

They've tried to do an enormous amount of work in such a short amount of time, thanks to the crap Trogan pulled and the fourth attempt on Garia.

Bleskin is the obvious choice for Steward, though with his experience maybe sheriff. Whoever becomes Steward needs to reside at the Claw so that the town knows the Baroness hasn't forgotten them. Plus, guardsmen will need a place to live and the Claw is ideal.

If those in Yod have been told the other uses for the black powder, their trip back south could be filled with problems. They did get a break though, from the other supplying information to Yod, in the way the shotguns were made to fail after so long in use. If Yod hasn't discovered the problem, at least a gunner and lighter may be taken out after a short amount of time.

Others have feelings too.