Somewhere Else Entirely -81-

Printer-friendly version

Garia visits the hairdresser, Merizel finds a dajan tuner and Brydas tells Garia that some of the townspeople find the shoemaker's attitude objectionable. The afternoon planning meeting covers mine positioning, railroads, zoning, sewage works and concrete, but others in the town are making plans too...

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

81 - Coal Town


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2013 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"What made you decide to have your hair this short, milady?" the woman asked as she combed it. "Was it because of an illness?"

"Oh, no! Where I come from, lots of girls wear shorter hair styles," Garia replied. "Short styles are common with adults, too. In fact, by some standards my own hair would be considered long."

"I would find that quite strange," the woman said. "My own hair has been so long for all of my life. I don't know how my head would feel if my hair were as short as yours, milady."

Garia smiled, the woman catching her reflection in the polished metal mirror.

"I've never had hair that long," she said. "It's been down to touch my shoulders in the past but never longer. I have often wondered what it must be like to have hair that reaches below your waist."

The woman paused. "Well, I don't know, milady! As this is all I have ever known it just seems natural to me. Now, since I am not familiar with your style, perhaps you would guide me."

"As you say. I had to instruct Mistress Shelda in the palace salon how to cut and shape my hair at first, since she had not seen hair this short either. Um, first we'd better see to my bangs. Trim them straight across so there's barely a finger's width between them and the top of my eyebrows."

Garia carefully instructed the hairdresser how to trim and shape her hair, being particular about how the bottom was layered so that it curled under by itself. The woman's eyes widened as she considered the effect of what she was doing and Garia could see that the new technique would be tried out on other customers.

She grinned. "You've already tried this style on some of the town girls, haven't you?"

The hairdresser stopped, her face pale. "Milady! I did not think to ask! Do you approve?"

"Yes, of course! If you are okay doing it and there are no objections from the girls' parents then it is fine with me. I don't mind introducing a new hairstyle to Palarand, it will be one of the smaller changes to come, trust me."

The woman was relieved. "Thank you, milady. I had to guess how to make the style, only having seen you in the courtyard before today. Now that I know how the effect is made I can produce a better result on others."

"They don't all have to be the exact same as mine, you know," Garia noted. "You can use the same ideas but make the sides longer or shorter. I think the shape of your face makes a difference how your hair works with it."

"But, milady, the girls wanted 'hair the same as the Baroness'."

"Maybe, but they don't all have the same shape face as the Baroness, do they? Some are rounder than me, some have longer faces than me, or squarer faces. And that's before you consider their necks. I saw one girl yesterday with a much longer neck than I have. If you gave her my hairstyle it would probably look better if the hair came much lower than her jawline."

"You are right, milady. I had not thought of that. You are very clever to understand the differences between women the way you do. Many so young would not notice such things."

"It's because I'm used to it, I guess. Because we have hair all different lengths and styles where I come from we take more notice of how it works. Here, where almost everyone has longish hair, it hides some of those differences."

I'm getting better at this. Before, I knew squat about female hair but I've had plenty of occasion to notice it since I arrived at the palace. Still, any person with their eyes open could work out what I just did.

Nope, make that any woman. I'm beginning to realize that a lot of men don't see half of what's in front of their noses.

"As you say, milady!" The woman used a soft brush to sweep Garia's shoulders clear of loose hair clippings. "It gives a most interesting effect to your shoulders, if I may say so. Does the sun not burn you there? On most women their shoulders would be hidden beneath their hair."

"I had to be careful when it was really hot," Garia replied. "Now that the weather is cooler I usually have a coat or a light scarf so there's no problem. You might want to warn those other girls about the sun, though. I wouldn't want anyone burned on my account."

"I will, milady."

"And you might want to consider the effect of these shoulders on the men folk. I am told they find it most attractive."

"That is a most interesting point, milady. I will think on it further, if I may. There, I think I'm finished."

Garia turned her head. "That's great! Thank you so much for doing this. I know it's not something you are familiar with."

The woman gave a rueful smile. "Milady, I suspect I shall be cutting more hair short in the coming days. You have started something. I will have much practice in short styles in the days and weeks to come."

~o~O~o~

Merizel was waiting outside the hairdresser's house, tapestry bag clutched in hand.

"Oh, Garia! That style looks so good!" She looked wistful. "I still wonder if it would suit me."

Garia cocked her head. "I've gotten so used to the way you look that if you cut yours short it will come as a shock to everyone for a while. If you want to try it out I would suggest you wait until we return to the palace. Mistress Shelda will be far better at handling your hair, she will have had so much more experience by now." She smirked. "Besides, what will Terinar say?"

Merizel reddened. "Ah, perhaps you have a point, Garia. Maybe I shall leave any experiments until we return to the palace." Her eyes lit up as she remembered her big news. "You'll never guess what I just found out!"

"Oh?" Garia's eyes went to the bag as they began walking down the main street. "You got your dajan fixed, then?"

"Yes! One peg definitely needed replacement but Horbelan looked at all the others and replaced another one as well. He's examined the dajan all over and says that it should play well even though it looks a little old and worn. If we had time he would like to have it in and re-varnish it for me." Merizel became animated. "But that's not the news! I talked to him about your ladders and he knows how to play them! He says that few people now remember the old way of tuning a dajan, just people like him who are in out-of-the-way places like Blackstone. I told him what you told me and he pulled out another dajan and played a tune on it using your method! It really sounded different but I liked the way the notes blended."

"Really? Oh, that is good news, Merry. I did wonder whether all knowledge of the Earth method had vanished by now."

"The way Horbelan tells the story it seems that it almost has, Garia. But he has offered to teach me the method, if I have time."

Merizel looked at Garia, the question unspoken.

"Would you have time?" Garia asked. "I'm sorry, Merry, I know you are busy, we all are, but I don't know how busy you are right now. Can you - we - afford the time?"

"I think so, Garia. It would be for a bell or so in the afternoon but not every day. As the guildsman who makes and repairs all musical instruments in the town he has other work which has to be done. Sookie has both Master Brydas and Senidet helping her now and of course there is much overlap between the Claw's business and your own so the work is being shared. I should be able to manage."

Garia grinned. "Okay, but can you fit everything in around our rides?"

"Ah, now that's an altogether different question!" Merizel chuckled. "Rides take top priority, do they not? I think that we should sit down later and look over our schedules. As you once said, I could almost have need for a secretary of my own."

They walked down the street, stopping to acknowledge the bows and curtseys from the occasional bystanders. Outside one grand building two people stood who did not bow or curtsey. The shoemaker glowered at the small party, his fists clenched by his side while his wife looked sullen, her arms crossed tightly beneath her copious bosom. Garia was glad that only Jenet and Lanilla had accompanied them, leaving Jasinet away from any possible confrontation.

"There's two who have reason to dislike us," Merizel muttered.

"Yes," Garia responded. "We interrupted their little schemes to get extra prosperity and influence with both Trogan and me and then we stole their daughter away from them. It isn't surprising they feel aggrieved. Brydas did tell us when we first came here that there would be a few who had tried to get on Trogan's good side -"

"- Assuming he ever had one."

"Yes. It must be like trying to be friends with a wild animal, a predator. You can feed it all you want and make out that you are friends but you'll never know if it will bite you or not."

"What does that make you then, Garia? A predator, as you name it?"

"Me? I don't think so. I don't think I'm made like that." Her expression hardened. "But I will defend what I think is right, and I will defend my friends and my people. What's wrong with that?"

"Nothing at all. But, remember, some of the other nobles you'll cross paths with might be real predators. Like Jarwin, for example."

"How can I forget, Merry?" Garia remembered Brydas's warning again. "Do you think there will be any trouble from those two?"

"Unlikely, Garia. Almost all of the town is solidly behind you, and between you and His Highness we have twenty armsmen. People like those two will just keep quiet and sulk. In any town there will be a small few who try to be difficult, we had them at home. So long as they do nothing but voice their opinions then father used to leave them alone. He said that if you could hear them you knew who they were. It was the ones you didn't hear who would be the dangerous ones."

"Aye. I guess you are right."

They reached the Claw and turned into the carriage entrance.

Garia sighed. "Jenet? We'd better go and fetch some towels and some fresh underwear. I'll need to have a wash before lunch. This Call is somewhat heavy at the moment."

Merizel gave her a sympathetic smile. "I know just what you are feeling, Garia. But if you would excuse me -"

"Go on. I can see Sookie over there and I think she wants a word with you."

Merizel walked off as Jenet remarked, "Milady. It is thirty days since your last Call."

"It is?"

"Aye, milady. It seems your body is adjusting from your Moon to our Kalikan. Each Call so far has been about four bells later than the last. In two months your Call may be the same as that of any woman of Alaesia."

"Well! I don't know if that's good or bad, Jenet. Let's go and get those things. I need a bath."

~o~O~o~

"Milady, if I could have a brief word before the meeting begins? I do not want to spend much time on this today but there may be a problem in the town."

"Go ahead, Master Brydas. I would prefer to find out about problems sooner rather than later. What is it?"

"Milady... or perhaps I should call you Guildmistress, since this is a problem of craft and guild, not one of law or property." Brydas hesitated. "M-, Guildmistress, I have had several townspeople approach me recently asking if it would be possible for the town to employ another shoemaker. It seems that a number of them express disapproval at his attitude toward you. There is also the matter that his wife beat her daughter, your new maid, in defiance of custom and practice. They are unwilling to go to them for new footwear or repairs, seeking to show their displeasure."

Garia opened her mouth and then closed it, thinking.

Why come to me about this matter? Can't they just get another shoemaker to set up in town? Why is there only one anyhow?

Wait a minute! Guildmistress... how does this crazy guild system work anyhow?

"Uh, Master Brydas, I might theoretically be a guildmistress now, but I have no idea how situations like this are supposed to work. Could you explain?"

"Guildmistress, I don't want to delay the meeting... but, in a town like this, a chartered guildsman is given a chance to practice his craft for the benefit of the people. In exchange for accepting the work of all he will have freedom to practice without competition. That, for example, is why I am the only smith in Blackstone. For larger towns, of course, the situation is different. The number of guildsmen in any craft is regulated by the local hall with reference to the town assembly. Here, you could vary the usual rule since we have no hall but you are a guildmistress."

"Correct me if I'm wrong, Master Brydas, but we both have a conflict of interest here, don't we? I'm the local liege lady as well and you are an assemblyman as well." Garia grimaced. "If I were to permit another shoemaker in here it's not going to make the current one like me any better, is it? But if I don't, I'll upset the other townspeople. Almost anything we try to do will be wrong."

Brydas started. The political implications of his request hadn't occurred to him.

"Milady, you are right. Perhaps we should separately think on this problem, since I fear it may only become worse with time. There must be some answer to this difficulty."

Garia gave a twisted smile. "I could always get all high and mighty and just banish the shoemaker from Blackstone. I am only joking, I assure you. Yes, we'll have a think about it. Let's get into the meeting."

~o~O~o~

"As you are well aware, milady," Yarling said, "we have identified three seams of coal which run across the valley. These seams are all thicker on the east side, where the town is, and the thickest is the lowest, lying just above the town. However, it seems that the quality of the coal is good wherever we look, assuming I have understood correctly what you mean by 'quality'. Our problems will not be with the supply of coal but rather with the means of removing it from the town to wherever it is needed."

"I agree," Garia replied. "I really don't know much about the mechanics of mining but even I can see that. That's what we have to decide today. How to get it out and send it off without destroying the town in the process."

There were many interested parties seated around the table in the common room of the Ptuvil's Claw. So many, in fact, that the table was in fact two pushed together to make more room. There were several heaps of documents, both paper and parchment, in evidence, along with a number of small cloth bags containing samples. Most of those present had tankards of beer or mugs of pel in front of them while plates of pastries helped ward off any hunger pangs.

"One problem I'd like to settle first, milady, if I may," Yarling continued, "is that of jurisdiction. How much of the lands surrounding the town need we take into account? Are we restricted to your original grant or can we also consider the lands across the Bray? If so, how far shall your writ run?"

The miner, although addressing the whole table, looked at Keren as he spoke.

"I don't think that will prove so great a problem, Master Yarling," Keren responded. "Duke Gilbanar has given me specific authority to vary the Baroness's grant if it should become necessary. You all understand that the original grant was but a token to provide Lady Garia with her title. From what I have seen and heard these last weeks since I have resided here it is clear that the whole valley must be considered as part of the same plan. Therefore I am minded to extend her grant to include the whole width of the valley and from the border set by the Stone Sea all the way as far as the forest."

Yarling was surprised. "Your Highness, I did not imagine so great an increase. Do you expect that our works would extend so far?"

"Not at all, Master Yarling, but it will ensure that we control what does happen here and prevent excesses such as those at Holville."

Yarling gestured with a hand. "That is why we sit here today, Highness, to prevent such chaos."

"We have to remember," Brydas commented, "that whoever resides in Blackstone in the future will still require bread and meat. The Prince's suggestion to reserve those lands means that some portion will be protected as farmland. That will be as important to us as how the works will be planned."

"Aye, you are right," Yarling said. "The extra mouths will require food as well as water. The town already has barely enough grain for bread and I fear for the water we shall need."

"The wagons which take the coal out can bring in the required grain," Jaxen said. "Although I have noticed that the wagons become extremely filthy with coal dust. Cleaning them down each time will require yet more water, although that is a problem for the other end of the route." He shrugged. "We will find some method for managing the traffic, we always do. Water will be more of a problem, we cannot possibly bring enough in to satisfy the demand."

"How does your own world manage such matters, milady?" Brydas asked. "Surely you must face the same problems."

"We move much more around than you do here," she said. "We use huge self-propelled wagons called trucks to bring in food and take away raw materials or finished goods. Water can be piped or channeled long distances if required. There may be ways to bring water in from other valleys. For coal, though, there is another method I would prefer and that is called a railroad. It is really a very large version of something that Master Yarling is already familiar with in his mines."

"Milady?"

"You have small wagons that run on tracks in and out of your mines?"

"Aye, milady, to bring out the ore and spoil." Yarling looked puzzled. "But I fail to see... you cannot possibly mean to run such wagons all the way to Tranidor, surely?"

Garia grinned. "All the way to Palarand, in time. We wouldn't be using those little wagons you use in the mines, though, but much larger versions. Much larger versions, specially designed to travel long distances carrying heavy loads."

"But how would they get there, milady? We use manpower, frayen or sometimes dranakh to move the wagons and they are already heavy. Do you expect these giant wagons to roll all the way down to Tranidor? How, then do they return?"

"Steam engines, Master Yarling. Much larger versions of the one you have seen running in the courtyard. But we are getting ahead of ourselves, putting the cart before the, uh, dranakh. Let's start with how and where you would like to place your mineshafts and follow the process on from there."

"As you wish, milady. First, I would open a new quarry beyond the one used by the townsfolk, as we discussed before. Then..."

Yarling described how he would place the shafts into the hillside and where the coal would come out. Since the seams were exposed and apparently more or less level it would be a simple walk-in process, at least at first.

"I have been thinking, milady," he added, "that I am minded to drive a shaft northward at the head of the valley. The seam is thinner there but still substantial. Any material I took out would be good coal, there would be no waste. If I drive it far enough I would eventually reach the limestone of the Stone Sea, would I not? You mentioned that the water would sink below the surface and it occurred to me that I might find it within the rock. If there is one thing that Blackstone will need more than any other, it will be water."

"Would you not be in danger if the mine floods?" Keren asked.

"Aye, Highness, there is always that risk, but we would be aware of it. It is my belief that, since the spring where the Bray rises is below the level of the coal, that the risk of flooding is low enough to make the task worthwhile. We would use pumps to bring the water to the town, using milady's new steam engines."

"That's a good idea, Master Yarling," Garia said. "If the water is there, then we'll make use of it, if not, you'll just have another working mine entrance. It won't be wasted effort at all. So. One thing we do in American towns is called zoning. That's where you divide up the land and assign different uses to each part as required. For instance, you'd have residential, then industrial, commercial and agricultural, uh, that's farming. There are some other kinds as well like leisure but we can ignore those for now. Obviously the current town where we're sitting gets zoned as residential or possibly mixed, I guess. I notice that many of the trades have workshops on the lower slopes between the town and the Bray so that would count as commercial." Garia frowned. "Or would that be industrial? I'm not sure how each zone is defined but what we want to do in Blackstone is clear enough, I think. We can think up the names for each zone however we want, it's the idea that's important."

"Zones," Brydas said thoughtfully. "An interesting idea, milady. That would mean separating where a man works from where he lives, would it not? But it would also remove the noise, smell and dirt from where he lived which would mean a more peaceful life. Is this how all towns are divided in Kansas, milady?"

"It is, but there are always exceptions, Master Brydas. We're talking business use here. If you wanted to have a small workshop at the end of your yard for... domestic use, say, or a hobby, then that would be permitted." She shrugged. "Maybe. We get to draw up the rules for what can be done in each zone, after all."

There was an intense discussion about the new idea of zoning with several sketches being drawn proposing ideas for dividing up the area around Blackstone. Garia felt it necessary to point out some items they had overlooked.

"We'll have to decide how to deal with waste water. We can't just carry on letting it run into the Bray. Master Bezan, is that the usual way of disposing of waste in Palarand?"

"It is, milady, although there are two towns I know of, one in Palarand and one in Brugan, which have interesting arrangements left behind by the Chivans. These are mostly derelict now since no-one knows how the system worked but seem to involve artificial rapids and great shallow lakes. Is this the kind of process you mean?"

"That sounds about right to me, although I have about as much knowledge of how they work as you do. Um, perhaps a little more. The idea of the rapids is to ensure the waste water is mixed with air. If you don't do that the water gets stagnant and the wrong kind of reaction happens. The lakes are used to allow..."

Bacteria. Now how do I explain tiny creatures too small to be seen with the naked eye?

"Milady?"

"I've just realized this could be tricky to explain." She pursed her lips. "Um, beer. How do you make beer?"

"Why, milady, the grain is boiled and then fermented to produce the brew."

"It's that fermenting part I'm interested in. You use yeast?"

"Aye, milady, of course. As we do for making bread."

"Yes, well. There are tiny plants and animals in the water, almost every water, some of which behave like yeast. What happens in those big lakes is that the waste products in the water are essentially fermented out. They are turned into materials we can take out and spread on the land as fertilizer, the water which remains can be filtered and then released into the river. I have heard that the waste water can be cleaned up so much it can be drunk again, although I personally wouldn't recommend it until we know what we're doing."

Bezan leaned forward. "Ah. You wish us to leave room for such a..."

"Water treatment works."

"As you say, milady. A water treatment works, which by its nature must be below the town." He thought, then tapped a finger on the crude map he had been drawing. "Here, milady. The other side of the bridge from the town and between the road and the Bray."

"That's what I had thought, yes. Only, it won't be quite so easy as that since we'll also have the waste from people like the tanning works to deal with. You can't put that through such a plant, it would just poison everything, we'll have to figure out some other way to deal with it."

There was another discussion about how to handle the inevitable industrial waste during which Garia pointed out that zoning would help them isolate the problem away from town.

"Merry, can you ask Parrel to send up a microscope with their next delivery? I have a feeling we're going to need one once we get started processing water."

"Of course, Garia."

Bezan asked, "What is a microscope, milady?"

"It is sort of like a small telescope, but instead of looking at things that are far away it magnifies things that are very small. You'll be able to see the tiny creatures that live in the water."

"I'm not sure I wish to know what lives in the water, milady. Are these creatures harmful?"

"Oh, yes, some of them can be. Some can even kill you. There are tiny creatures called bacteria all around us, even on our skin, and some of those cause deadly diseases. Fortunately most can be killed by boiling the water."

"On our skin, milady? Are we at risk?"

Garia smiled. "Yes and no. You have to realize that this situation has been going on for ever and that both we and the bacteria have adapted to each other. We tolerate them on our skin but if they get into a cut, or they get breathed into your lungs, that's when certain kinds can make trouble. Our bodies are designed to fight off infections and we can usually do that well most of the time. Other times," she shrugged, "that's when the healers get called in."

"Back to the main subject," Keren said. "I am interested in the idea of a railroad, although it sounds like a tremendous amount of work."

"Okay," Garia replied. "To begin with, we all know that we'll have to use Master Tanon's wagons to take away the coal and to bring in people, food and building materials. It will take some years before we begin producing enough steel of good enough quality to even think about a railroad, but we can lay the groundworks - literally - to help ourselves when it does become possible. I want to begin construction of a new road from here to Tranidor which we can later lay track on. Master Bezan, didn't you say that you thought we would have problems hauling the wagons over the existing road?"

"Aye, milady. The road climbs to meet the trade route and that will mean that the amount we can put in each wagon will be limited."

"Which is why a new road is the answer. Master Bezan, I'm going to ask you to lay out a new route down to Tranidor which just slopes gradually downhill the whole time. It doesn't have to go anywhere near the other road, in fact it might be an advantage if it doesn't. The key points will be as shallow a grade as you can make it and very gentle curves along the way. Pave it with crushed rock for drainage and whatever you need to provide a surface for heavy wagons. Later on we can lay railroad track on top and it will replace the wagons completely."

"That may not be possible, milady. Remember where we stopped when we first came here, alongside the river in that forest? There was a steep drop there of ten strides or so."

"I remember. So, you'll have to dig a cutting out one side and an embankment the other to even out the slope. There's always a way and if it's done right you should find that all the rock you dig out one place can be used to fill in holes in other places."

"As you say, milady. And... if the coal traffic uses this new road, we would need to build another roadhouse for the crews and animals."

"Oh! Yes, you are right." She looked at Keren, who nodded. "That's acceptable, given the circumstances. Once we get regular railroad trains running we won't need that roadhouse but there will be at least a couple years before that happens."

"Won't need the roadhouse, milady?" Bezan repeated, puzzled. "Why not? Surely your trains will need to stop?"

Garia grinned at Bezan. "Not overnight, Master Bezan. Once we get trains running they will go from here to Tranidor in... what did you say the distance was?"

"Um, seventy marks, milady. Perhaps a mark or two less."

"Then a railroad train, which would be a steam engine pulling perhaps thirty wagons, could make the trip from here to Tranidor in three bells. The way back would be uphill so might take four bells, although the wagons would be mostly empty for the run back. And that's just at the start. Once we can develop decent engines and freight wagons we can push the speed right up. Imagine doing that journey in just over a bell!" She beamed. "That railroad engine can pull cars as well. A car is a special kind of carriage designed for the railroad which can seat maybe sixty people. You could go to Tranidor in the morning and be back here the same day."

Everybody except Keren leaned back, stunned by what she had described.

Bezan spoke, his mouth dry. "Now I understand why you are so anxious to have your railroad, milady. It changes everything, does it not?"

"That is but the half of it," Jaxen said. "If I understand this right, milady, your train will have how many people to... operate... it, two? Six? Ten?"

"The engine would usually have a crew of two, wagonmaster, and there would be a caboose at the far end to control the braking with one or two people in it. A caboose is a small roofed wagon where a brakeman would sit. He's there so that the train doesn't run away down a steep grade or in case of accidents."

"Three or four, then," he mused. "To pull thirty wagons from here to Tranidor, none of which would need a wagoneer or a dranakh. And no armed guards either?"

"There's nobody around who we would really call hostile, is there? Just the occasional bandit like Trogan. Yes, you'll still need a few armed guards to begin with. But, consider, when you can call for help from either end within a couple hours - excuse me, bells - and get that help there on a special train in the same time, then it will become very difficult for bandits to succeed."

"Still, to move so much with so few people, and using no animals at all... the world begins to look very different, milady."

"The train crews aren't the only people involved, Master Jaxen. You'll need depot staff each end, track crews to make sure there are no obstructions and the line is kept clear, signalmen to permit trains on the line, people to clean and maintain the rolling stock, uh, I mean the engine and wagons... you'll need fewer people, it is true, but there will be more than just those riding the trains."

Bezan was sketching another map, one of the whole valley system.

"Now I understand, milady, why your new route requires gentle gradients and large curves. It is because of the speed of these new... trains, is that not so?"

"That's right, Master Bezan. Partly that and partly the size of the trains themselves. Our engines could be from eight to twenty strides long and the wagons the same size. Each. But we're getting ahead of ourselves again. To begin with, we just need to find a route from here to Tranidor we can use later for the railroad. We'll start it the other side of the Bray so as to keep it away from the town."

"Milady," Yarling asked, "how shall we get the coal down from the mines to the end of the new road? You do not plan to bring the... railroad to the mines themselves?"

"I don't think so. The mine entrances will move around as the seams become exhausted, won't they? I thought we could use your small wagons to transport the coal around Blackstone on temporary tracks. Or, you could use a chute or a conveyor belt."

"What is a conveyor belt, milady?"

Garia described the principles of a conveyor belt and Yarling was impressed all over again.

"That sounds like an interesting idea, milady. I wonder why nobody has thought of it before?"

Keren answered. "Because, if I understand Garia's idea correctly, the arrangement she describes will require the kind of power that animals or a windmill, for example, could not easily provide. That is, a continuous effort that only makes sense when you have the power of a steam engine available. Or," he suddenly thought, looking at Garia, "perhaps electric motors? Is that what you had intended?"

"Hmm. We use electric motors on Earth, of course, because that's what we have available. Electric is useful because you can spread the motors out along the length of the belt, but we can make them work with steam engines to begin with."

"I'm still not sure I understand, milady," Bezan said. "How long are these belts of which you speak? What happens at the end of the belt?"

Garia grinned. "The belts can be as long as you like, Master Bezan. I know of some that are miles, excuse me, marks long. If you have an open-cast pit a long way from where you want to process the ore, then a conveyor belt is one way of moving your ore, coal, or whatever else you are digging out of the ground."

"Marks? But... your engine would be dragging the entire belt along and that could be some long distance, by your own words."

"That is what His Highness and I were discussing. In Kansas we use a method where you have small, um, slave engines spaced out along the line, all powered from someplace else. But you can have shorter belts, individually powered, each one emptying into the next one along. You can run these up and down hills, don't forget, and even make bridges to take them up and over roads and rivers. The main principle is that you can think of a conveyor belt much like a pipe which moves solids instead of liquids. At the end of the belt it usually rises to dump the rock into a hopper of some sort. A chute, perhaps, positioned over a wagon."

"Oh. Oh! Milady, you have given us much to think about."

Garia grinned again. "That's not the only use for conveyor belts! Think about using them around farms and warehouses to shift crops like grain and root vegetables, or even fruit. You'll discover more uses for the technology as time goes on, I'm certain."

Yarling said, "Milady, I had wondered... we have yet to discuss Blackstone Vale. As yet there has been no real survey done. It concerned me that there is no road running along the vale and it might be a problem getting the coal out. With these belts of yours, the problem is resolved."

"That's right, but until we go and visit we won't be able to decide any other details, will we? Like, if there is anywhere to put a mining camp and what the quality of the coal will be."

Keren said, "Garia, we'll only be here another three or four weeks. If we stay here too much longer we won't be back in Palarand before the bad weather sets in. It won't be pleasant crossing the Sirrel then, I can promise you."

"I know that," she replied. "How many days will we need to organize a ride up the vale? Anyone?"

Brydas asked, "Milady, how far do you intend to go?"

Garia shrugged. "I don't know, as I've no idea how far the vale goes."

"It is difficult to say, milady, since the vale gradually becomes the higher ground. Perhaps eight, maybe nine marks. I have not traveled to the end myself. But you will not be riding the whole way, milady. If you are taking pack animals then for part of your way you may be walking."

"What are you suggesting, Brydas?" Keren asked. "How many days should we be planning for?"

It was Brydas's turn to shrug. "That depends on how much you find of interest, Highness. Nine marks would probably take your party a full day, so allow a day each way for travel to the end and back. Any extra time for Master Yarling's investigations, say, would require perhaps a third day."

"Garia? We'll plan for a minimum four days provisions, then. When did you want to leave? Tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow is going to be too soon for me, I'm afraid." The others looked at her and she smiled back. "One of the joys of being female. Allow me four days to get over... this. I'll be fit and ready by then." She turned to Feteran. "Commander? Is that going to be too soon?"

"Milady, I think it will be enough time to organize the expedition. How many shall be going?"

Garia waved a hand. "We'll talk about that later, I think. We've gotten side-tracked again. Let's just say for now that we'll travel up Blackstone Vale in four days time."

"As you say, milady."

"I am concerned, milady, over the quality of stone for the new buildings," Bezan commented. "I have seen the sandstone on the ridge and it would make good building material but it is very hard to work with. Limestone, which masons would prefer to use for most buildings, is available from the Stone Sea but it is essentially rotten and would be difficult to use. I do not remember seeing any other useable stone on our journey here."

"Will you use stone for all the new buildings required?" Keren asked.

"No, Highness, I imagine perhaps half will be temporary structures of wood of some kind, probably thatched, but we will require a number of permanent buildings in the area to service the mines."

"Have you thought of using concrete?" Garia asked the mason.

"Why, yes, milady, but concrete is only suitable for foundations or as infill between dressed blocks. Did you have some other use in mind?"

"I do, Master Bezan. In the land of my birth concrete has been used as a building material for thousands of years, though it is only recently we have learned how to make the best use of it." Garia thought. "You treat it like liquid stone, which is really what it is. You can pour it into molds to make whatever shapes you wish. I think there are two ways, basically, it can be used. The molds can either be where you need the structure to be or you can treat it like pottery and make smaller shapes to be used for building later. For example, you can cast a whole bridge if you want. We do that all the time. Or you can set up a factory and turn out building blocks by the thousand for use elsewhere. Those building blocks can be brick-sized or larger or smaller as needed."

"You can pour concrete into molds, milady? How do you stop the concrete sticking to the mold when it is set?"

"I'm not sure, actually. It depends how you make your mold, I guess. For buildings we make sheets of wood or steel supported by scaffolding to hold the concrete. When it is dry enough we can knock the different sheets away one by one. Where I've seen wooden ones used, on my uncle's farm, the wood was oiled before use to prevent sticking."

"Ah, I see. Milady, I would ask you to draw some diagrams of this process. I cannot entirely make sense of it without something to see."

Garia smiled. "Any time, Master Mason."

Yarling asked, "You say you can build bridges entirely from concrete, milady. I would not have considered it strong enough for such use."

"You'd be right, once the bridge is a certain size," she replied. "We have spent many years learning how to make reliable concrete and that involves quality control of the ingredients. You have to make sure the sand, gravel and cement is all uniform grade and made the exact same way. The mixing, pouring and setting is all critical as well. Concrete made in winter will set different than concrete made in summer, for example. Sometimes additives are put in to help it set properly, or for other reasons." She grinned. "Imagine making your walls green or pink or yellow!"

"This sounds like something the Mason's Guild will need to investigate in detail, milady."

"You'd be right. In fact you could probably set up an entire Concrete-Maker's Guild, except that the guilds are all going to be merged together at the end of the year. But, yes, you'll need to discover how to use concrete for construction." She grinned. "Remember that dam we visited yesterday? At home we have huge dams made out of concrete because there is nothing else strong enough." Bezan's eyes widened. "Dams, I don't know, maybe a hundred strides high and anywhere from two hundred strides to several marks wide. Of course, they took years to build, pouring a little concrete each day and waiting for it to set before the next layer was poured."

She held up a finger. "There's another crucial part I forgot, which is important in most concrete structures. Inside them there is a web of steel wire or rod holding the concrete together. It is called rebar and it is positioned in place before the pouring begins. It is rebar which allows us to construct building fifty stories high or bridges that can cross rivers as wide as the Sirrel."

Bezan swallowed. His whole craft had just been blown apart.

"Milady, I had several questions to ask but it seems that you have answered them all with concrete. It is not just the railroad which will change all Palarand."

"Indeed not," Keren agreed. "Master Mason, we have discussed concrete before in high council. For myself, I do not see why the material Lady Garia describes should not be used in our project but before we begin I wish to consult my father on the subject."

Bezan inclined his head. "As you command, Highness." He looked an appeal at Keren. "Would you permit me to speak to Lady Garia of such matters while you await your reply? I foresee a need for copious notes."

Keren considered. "Very well, Master Mason, but on the understanding that your notes remain in Blackstone, and that nothing any of you have heard today is spoken of or written about to anyone else. Agreed?"

"Agreed, Highness."

"Then perhaps, I think we should consider closing our meeting. Merry, have you a list of the main points?"

Merizel leafed through the wad of paper in front of her.

"Aye, Highness. Perhaps I should read them out to make sure we have everything recorded. Firstly, ..."

~o~O~o~

In the yard was a group of armsmen, both Keren's and Garia's, clustered round Feteran. He saw her enter and the group opened, saluting her.

"That will be all, men," he said, "we'll finish this later." He spoke to Garia. "Milady, if I could have a moment?"

"Of course. What can I do for you, commander?"

"The expedition, milady." Feteran frowned. "Although I have, of course, taken part in several exercises like the one to come I have never organized one myself. Before I joined your house I was, after all, just one of His Majesty's men, not even a file leader let alone a Quadrant Officer or a Captain."

"I would have been surprised if you had. You are wondering if you can do it or not?"

"It is not complicated, milady, and there is always a first time for any task. But... would you object if I should consult my father?"

"Feel free, commander! Consult your father by all means. If he can pass on some of his wealth of knowledge, then why not? I'm sure he'll be delighted to help his son out. While you're at it, you could also talk to Michen, who must know what we will be facing. And Jaxen, if he's still in Blackstone. I know we won't have wagons and such but I imagine he's faced similar situations in the past." Garia thought for a moment. "Have you decided who will be going, yet?"

"We will not be able to take many, milady. If we were still at the palace, with a host of frayen to choose from, then I would take as many as I could. As it is, more than half the men must be left behind. I have begun with His Highness and yourself, milady, then there is myself, of course, and Mistress Jenet." There was a faint flush to Feteran's cheeks as he named Jenet. "I assumed we would require our local guide, Michen, and of course the expedition would be pointless without Master Yarling to examine the landscape. That is six, I thought to take at least as many men if it were possible."

"Twelve..." Garia considered. "Yes, you're right of course. If we have a pack animal each as well as our mounts we'd need twenty-four frayen. We'll have to leave some mounts behind, in case there's trouble or some reason they need to get a message to us or to Tranidor."

"As you say, milady. Was it your intention that Lady Merizel came with us?"

"I think she'll be disappointed, but I can see the reason why it wouldn't be easy." Garia smiled. "She has discovered that the music guildsman here knows something about tuning dajans. He has offered to pass on some of his knowledge to her. She'll be happy enough doing that while we're gone."

"I was a little... anxious at her inclusion, milady. Not that I don't trust her to look after herself but because there will be ladies present the planning will be more complicated."

"Commander, you're on dangerous ground."

"Milady, I speak only the truth. Were we to be just a company of men, certain activities become easier. For example, the men would change clothes in front of one another. With yourself and Jenet present we must take a screen to use. I did not mean that I expected you to travel with chests of clothes, though I know of certain ladies who would insist."

"Relax, Feteran, I was mostly joking. I'll only be taking my riding and fighting gear and I expect Jenet will manage on less as well. It's hardly likely we'll be holding any balls where we're going, is it?"

~o~O~o~

"Boss? It's been a while."

"It would have been even longer if I hadn't gotten your letter. We should have realized that the announcement that she would be returning to the palace was a ruse. Now I'm here, perhaps we can do what we were paid to do."

"Aye, boss. I've seen you around, here and there, but it's been difficult for me to get away to speak to you. Even now I can't afford to stay too long, someone might become suspicious."

"Not a problem. The less we speak, the less chance of anyone noticing us together. You've been around the whole while, what do you think our chances are?"

"Of snatching the bitch? In this town? Almost impossible, boss. Somehow she has all of them eating out of her hand. Twenty armed men around her, the building guarded at all times." A smirk. "Even if one of those guarding it is me."

"What do you propose, then? Wait until she leaves? That could be weeks away."

"She'll be visiting her lands shortly, boss. That means a small party will be taking pack animals up the vale. Since they only have so many frayen that cuts the numbers in half at least. It should be manageable if we can ambush them somewhere along the way."

"How many?"

"I'm guessing, boss, since the planning only started today. The bitch, for sure. Her maid, the Prince, a local guide, the miner, her commander, how many's that? Six. There'll probably be another six men-at-arms as escort."

"When do they plan to leave? Tomorrow?"

"Nah, boss. The bitch has moon-fever. The fourth day from today, I'm hearing."

"That's good, it gives us plenty of time to set something up. Who can we muster? Do you know of any who would take such an enterprise?"

"Not among her men, no. Nor his. I did have one piece of luck, boss. I found the two men of Trogan's who got away. You heard about Trogan?" The other nodded. "They have shelter and supplies and three frayen. They are hiding out up one of those narrow canyons you must have noticed on your way into town. They have sworn to me that they would be part of anything that got back at the bitch who murdered their boss."

"Knowledgeable with arms, then?"

"Oh, yes. Not up to man-at-arms standard, naturally, but they can take care of themselves."

"Good." Fikt smiled nastily. "The bitch, as you call her, is not the only one with new ideas. I have samples of some new weapons which should more than make up for any difference in our forces. Can you get away, when the time comes? Have you a mount?"

"Yes and yes, boss." The man grinned. "One of Trogan's men died by accident and I found his frayen before anyone else did. It's now with those two men and the other three mounts. It might take me a bell or so to slip away but I'll be ready when you call." He frowned. "Four is not enough, boss. Have you any others?"

"Of course. There is a miner and four workmen up at the camp who are our men as well as another wagoneer like me. I have also found some in the town who dislike the new regime. Three, maybe five I can convince to join us. That should be sufficient, once the bitch is away from the town. Our weapons should prevail."

"Getting her is only part of the story, boss. How do we get her away, with the whole town up in arms?"

"That's the beauty of going after her out in the wilds. It's a journey of exploration, right? Who knows how long they'll be away? It may be days before anyone in the town finds out. We can be long gone by then."

The man grinned. "As you say. So, what do you want me to do? Anything?"

"No, you sit tight, you've done your part. When we're ready I'll leave a chalk-mark on a post opposite their building to alert you, and you can slip away that evening."

Fikt discussed a rendezvous with his man and the two slipped away into the night.

up
361 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yea!!!!

Glad I checked back when I did!

Things are a bit leaky

With some of the enemy in her own entourage things could get a bit dicey. There is hope they still underestimate her abilities and the ambush will run into a bit of a surprise themselves. But I am a bit worried how Jaxen is taking all the railroad talk. He can see where it will have a large effect on the wagon trains he runs. Obsolescence hurts.

FYI: The strongest concrete structures are made by the continuous pour method, where the concrete pour is never halted except for the time it takes to add more rebar to the structure. That eliminates any layering that might weaken the structure and/or be prone to leakage. Just as an example I'm familiar with: the million barrel oil storage tank that Phillips Pet. has in the North Sea was constructed that way. The one time the pouring was stopped there was concern that they'd have to scrap the entire construction if they couldn't get it restarted quickly enough. The tank, Ekofisk 1, has been in place in the North Sea on the seabed some 200 feet below the surface and extending about 50 meters above for more than 35 years. And that is including the constant pounding of the sea, which in the North Sea is considerable. (The tank was actually constructed behind a cofferdam in Stavanger Harbour and towed out to the site by large, ocean-going tugs when completed.)


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Concrete

As mentioned above, concrete should always be poured in a single shot. Also, concrete should not be allowed to dry as drying actually weakens the material. Concrete actually cures retaining the majority of the water that was initially added to make it liquid. Basically what happens is the water reacts with the calcium in the lime to form calcium hydrate.

Concrete by Romans too.

Also Romans (Chivans) built from Concrete too, and without rebars on top of that. Pantheon in Rome is built from layered concrete (several types of concrete layered by the weight on each other with leightest on the top) without rebars. Despite that its dome weights 4535 metric tons. A really nice piece of architectonical mastery.

New developments

The caldron continues to simmer. It looks like it will come to a boil in another episode or two. We'll have to see.

Much Love,

Valerie R

Reinforced concrete has steel

rods within to add strength and support. Such is used in modern bridges, dams, and buildings before the modern glass/steel skyscrapers. Will they develop a method to treat the coal so that it has a lower carbon emission and other safety concerns? What about passenger trains What about reclaiming mined out land? Will they consider moving the town to get to the coal? Who is Fikt's henchman?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Planning a lot of things here.

Including an ambush to kidnap Garia, which would likely leave her companions dead if successful. Yod is still actively after her and it seems even clearer that they too have someone from Earth designing things. New weapons? That doesn't sound good at all.

Maggie

Developments

As has been mentioned by earlier posters, concrete actually makes stronger structures if made in a single pouring. If you do it in parts, then that is usually for transport reasons or because it's not load bearing and it's more practical to assemble in parts than to build a mold for the entire thing. Oh, and to bring the total weight down and insulation value up, using aereated concrete. The concrete shouldn't be let burn dry before you do the next pouring (the chemical process that dries and cures concrete is a slow burning process, though it is not combustion) since that creates weak layers in the structure.

I'm a bit afraid that we'll soon find ourselves losing characters. So far Morlan, Feteran's mother and a few bad guys are the only casualties. With Fikt's planning, I'm afraid that we'll see more injuries and deaths, Yod possibly kidnapping Garia, possibly taking Keren as well. I hope one or more of those people Fikt and his men talk to will either sabotage the mission or alert the guards ahead of time.

Mystery Weapons

terrynaut's picture

Boooo! Hissss! I hope Fikt has an epic failure! Grrrrrr!

I do so love to hate villains.

I have to wonder about the advanced weapon that Fikt talked about. I'm guessing that it's a flintlock pistol. If so, at least it's only a single shot.

Okay. Enough speculation. I'll try to be patient and wait for the next chapter. It looks like things are heating up.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Snep will save her!

LibraryGeek's picture

Don't discount the valor of brave Frayen! Snep will do his best when Garia is threatened!

Yours,

John Robert Mead

Snep the Wonder Frayen

terrynaut's picture

Well of course Snep will save her! You're not supposed to give it away to everyone though. Naughty naughty! No treat for you.

Go Snep!

- Terry

Action stations !

Now, we see some action! I do hope that the criminals are overconfident. It seems that the Yodians have someone who was willing to make black powder for them. That is the end of sweet, charming Paraland.

Fine episode. May the force be with you.

Gwen

Insider

Based on this quote "Not among her men, no. Nor his" it looks like the insider is one of the two Guardsmen seconded from Duke Gilbanar's household. These two men acted as Wagoneers on the trip to Blackstone and it actually makes sense because a Palace guard/coach driver would be the ideal position to smuggle people in and out of the palace.

There Are A Few Problems

joannebarbarella's picture

Starting with the basics you need cement, which is the very finely powdered sticky stuff which when mixed with water will set after a period of time into a crumbly kind of stone. So to make this you need limestone or chalk or a similar material, an oven to cook it and grinding mills to make it into a very fine powder. To make mortar you add sand which gives the cement extra durability and should be familiar as the stuff you put between bricks to hold them together. This is the easiest of the components to source (other than water) because you normally get it from rivers. To make real concrete you need stone which has to be obtained by quarrying (unless you are lucky enough to have nice angular gravel from a river) and then crushed to a more or less uniform size before mixing with cement, sand and water. The point being that you need industrial capacity to get concrete.It's the old "building the tools to make the tools" problem.

Concrete can be used in many ways and continuous placing is the answer in some cases but certainly not in all. Using Ekofisk (which is enormous) as an example the formwork contained only the top few metres of the structure and was jacked up as the concrete at its lower edge hardened, with the rebar being placed in prefabricated sections ahead of the concrete. This is called a slip-form or a climbing form. That was for the vertical walls and these were later given additional strength by inserting steel cables in tubes inside the wall and stretching them which compresses the concrete and enables it to stand extra stress in tension as well as compression. This process is called post-tensioning. The floor of the structure was placed separately prior to the walls being constructed. In effect the whole thing was/is a ginormous silo.

For more normal structures like buildings it is usual to place the concrete in formwork to make the walls from floor to floor, mostly about 2.5 to 3 metres in height and then place each floor with formwork and scaffolding supporting it before continuing upwards. This is usually done "in-situ", that is the concrete is poured in place and sets where it is poured, but it can be done by what is called precasting, which basically means you make sections in a factory somewhere else entirely and transport them to the structure and hoist the sections into place. In this case it is also common to post-tension your floor (or maybe bridge) to hold the individual pieces together and make them act as a single unit.

In Palarand the other initial problem will be making and processing steel for the reinforcement. It usually requires between 100 and 200 kilos of bar for each cubic metre of concrete so you're talking a lot of steel or probably iron which will do the same job but not quite as well. For factories and houses it would probably be better to make your concrete in small blocks like big bricks and build like a brick wall. These are commonly seen as "clinker blocks" in industrial areas and with a hollow centre can be simply reinforced by poking a bar down the holes and cementing them in (Cement is often erroneously described as concrete).

Besides being an ardent fan of this story I have followed Eric Flint's Ring Of Fire series from its inception and it deals with many of the same problems that Penny is dealing with. The society with which Flint deals is Europe in the 1630s and in many cases the locals come up with kludges to take advantage of the new technology brought by the Americans displaced in time but which they may not have the means to manufacture. One that I read recently impressed me. The Russians wanted railways but had little steel so they made their rails out of wood. After all, being able to run a train at 15-20 mph beat the hell out of oxcarts.

This reminded me of the story that in the early days of the space programme the Americans spent $10 million developing a pen that would write in zero gravity. Russians used pencils.

The social ramifications of all these innovations are profound and Garia is certainly going to experience these at very close quarters. Damn it! Who is that treacherous armsman?

Joanne

You missed the holes!

We always had a good laugh about that when explaining to new hands and their families that the holes were made on the beach. What these were for was the breakwater around the actual tank. Each level of the breakwater had holes in the wall, and the size changed with each level. So the holes were precast on shore and then transported to the tank construction where the concrete was poured around them. This negated the need to assemble forms during construction to make the holes in the breakwater. It was just one of those in jokes at the time. My father wasn't closely involved with the tank construction, his specialty was the ginormous compressors that sat on the tank after it was in place. I have his plaque from GE Turbines that they gave him when he retired. He designed most of the compressors used as they were some of the highest capacity made at the time in a much smaller form factor than had previously been produced.

As for railroading, in places in the US the rails were wood but capped with iron or steel for better wear. But you'd still need some form of rolling plant to produce the stock in the long straight pieces needed. Yeah, it's definitely a case of making the tools to make the tools to make the tools to make the needed item.

There's another good story series, Janissaries by Jerry Pournelle, that deals with some of the same problems Garia faces. Not to the same end goal as Garia, though. Rick Galloway, OIC of a group of CIA "mercenaries" is trying to preserve at least part of mankind on an alien planet while the Confederacy considers destroying Earth as a sort of galactic pest control. He has to introduce some modernization so that the humans on Tran can survive the inevitable nuke-bombing of the planet by alien drug runners. At the same time he has to unite the various human groups (including a neo-Rome civilization with an impressive Roman Army of it's own) so they can produce the drug the aliens want, thus delaying the destruction of the existing civilization. So like Garia, Rick is running around teaching all manner of things to the native humans.

Get me started on SF and I'll go on all night!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

It is going to be sad ...

I know that progress is needed in Parland. However, industrialization has such heavy costs what with the waste and destruction necessary to take raw materials to finished products. Then of course there are the weapons of war that Yod is going to push on Parland. Then there are the lasting consequences of War.

All the depleted plutonium ammunition used in Iraq is causing massive birth defects there now. My own son just lost a kidney to cancer owing to having handled the stuff on the flight deck of a carrier for 20 years. It seems as if humans are the scourge of the galaxy.

Progress

The entire point of Garia and company engaging in town planning and zoning is to avoid Blackstone Village becoming overdeveloped with insufficient infrastructure. For the time being at least, mining will be done via horizontal shaft and the coal will be transported unprocessed, thus avoiding having spoil heaps disfiguring the hillsides. Their whole emphasis is on minimising the environmental impact of industrialisation, so Blackstone Vale doesn't become the local Black Country (an area of the UK which saw extensive mining and industrial activity, causing large parts to be shrouded in smoke 24/7 - hence the name).

As for guns, we don't yet know for sure whether that's what The Ascendency of Yod have obtained - a more efficient / long range bow design could have an impact. Regardless, it's highly improbable they'll manage to execute the entire party, so hopefully there'll be enough survivors to draw up pictures of them which can be used in the nationwide manhunt.

The shoemaker in particular has failed to realise that once mining operations start, there'll be a whole bunch of new people who will require shoe repairs and replacement - so causing his business to expand beyond his wildest dreams.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Developments

So, what's new this episode?

First up, introducing the concept of different hair cuts - it seems as though to date, hairdressers have probably had a single short style for men and a long style for women (in the latter case, doing little more than a trim), so the concept of different styles to suit different face shapes and neck lengths is going to blow apart the whole profession.

Retuning Merry's Dajan to the Western heptatonic (major, minor) or equally tempered dodecatonic (chromatic) scale is likely to revolutionise music, for as we've seen with the hair style, what starts out as a new fashion among nobility (particularly senior Royals) quickly catches on in public.

I touched on industrial development earlier in this thread, but waste water treatment will be one area requiring further experimentation by the relevant Guilds - particularly that from industrial processes which would contaminate the domestic sewage treatment.

Others have discussed concrete, but I'd imagine it would be easiest for them to start off with concrete blocks (depending on the structure, either high density using traditional aggregate or low density using ash) rather than immediately building entire walls at once.

Then, finally, there's the conspiracy. It's tempting to immediately leap to the conclusion of guns when the conspirators are talking about new weapons to give them the advantage, but let's not jump the gun yet - an improved bow design to allow greater accuracy / range with less human strength could possibly give them an advantage, or it may be another type of weapon entirely. Regardless of what weapon is used, it's very improbable the ambush will be the one-sided affair the conspirators are hoping for, with a complete massacre of the Royal party coupled with no injuries on their side. There's likely to be injuries on both sides, while if the Royal party can capture a conspirator alive they may be able to extract some useful intelligence from him before he swings.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

New Weapons

The English longbow leaps to mind. Look what it did to the French. As I recall the French so hated and feared it that any English archers captured had their first two fingers cut off so they couldn't draw a bowstring. The Palarandians may have something like them already, I just don't know. Crossbows are great weapons but don't have the range of the longbow.

Concrete blocks are great for normal construction. The house I grew up in was built using concrete blocks that were finished on one side for a more appealing look. But Garia started talking about large construction like bridges and that requires stronger construction typical of cast in place concrete for the support piers as well as strong decking.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Longbow

Stott is an expert with the longbow. Need I say more?

:)

Penny

Oops!

Missed that bit! :-(


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Nice

Nice, but such a cliff hanger !!!
Unfortunately Yod has the monopoly on information in this game. Garia need a secret service soon.

About the Shoemaker

Garia should make a big show of buying some footwear from him to say that once the punishment had been met, the guilty party is welcomed back into society.

New weapons

I hope those aren’t guns, cannons or something else. Who is the traitor there will be some executions after this for sure. I wonder if either Garia or Keren get injured it will push Keren into making his decision. Hopefully Garias improvements are better.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Black powder?

Jamie Lee's picture

Every time she has a meeting new information comes to light. Garia has mentioned railroads before, but not how they could be used. Then she mentions conveyor belts to move the coal from point to point.

Then concrete, and just a few things that can be made from it. To use it for strength applications they'll have to come up with re-bar and a way to cut it.

Fikt has got to be the dumbest rock on the planet. Once again he's going after Garia, and Keren will be with her. That man is opening a can of worms that may lead to war.

He mentioned a new weapon, likely a black powder pistol or rifle. Wonder if he knows that black powder and water don't mix?

If his plan fails there will be a lot of bodies swing in the breeze. Wonder is a secret weapon exists on Anmar, which goes by the name of dranakh?

Others have feelings too.

About Fikt

I don't think at this point he gives a rip whether or not he sparks a war. Those he works for still would prefer (evidently by the conspirator's word and attitude) to be unseen, but every time Garia escapes it drives the stakes higher! Pretty soon if she pulls this one out the rage at the other end will be so hot that open war will happen!