At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 56

Printer-friendly version

At last ‘A life’
By Julie D Cole
Chapter 56 Interview day

I did wonder why Jessica had to be so poisonous sometime. It was as if she couldn’t stop herself and she liked to prod for a nerve ending.

I decided that might try James again later or at least text him. I didn’t want to chase him but he just seemed to have lost interest or disappeared.

I called Anne to see if she was prepared for her meeting with Kate and she was very nervous. I wanted Ann to be confident so I told her that she shouldn’t be frightened of Kate and that she seemed much nicer than her reputation.

My advice was to just say what she felt and not to criticize Jessica.

Anne said she had decided to just say what she would do to improve the Department performance and its image in the Company. She said her husband had given her a lot of advice but she felt he didn’t understand much about the office and the people so she’d made her own mind up.

I just said that she was a better leader than Jessica so she had my vote.

I was glad I’d called her and we agreed to meet for lunch the following day, good or bad. She hoped I might help her if everything worked out OK and I was pleased to be asked.
I had a chance then to open the second letter. As I looked at it closely it was addressed to ‘Ms C Taylor’.

It was only from the hotel in Birmingham offering me a Pampering and Spa weekend at one of their sister hotels at a discounted rate and thanking us for our business. I had registered as Ms C Taylor but used my credit card as security and also to settle the account for Sally and I.

I’d worried at the time but now it seemed like I was at least on their records as Ms instead of Mr. I rather fancied the idea of a Pamper weekend with either Sally or Julie and I must have been deep in a reverie when Anne arrived and brought me back to my day job.

The meeting with Jessica was still going on and Anne couldn’t settle down. I told her to go back to her desk and I’d call her when they were ready and in my opinion it was a good sign and not a bad sign.

When Jessica came out of Kates office she had a face like thunder. She just discarded her file in the waste paper basket and said ‘Shred that’.

Dave came out and asked for some coffee and to give them 10 minutes looking around for Anne. I said I’d sent her back to her office that he acknowledged. Kate was on the phone as I took the coffee in but she took the trouble to smile.

I called Anne who said that she’d not seen Jessica on the way so I said to forget it and remain focused. I took her in and now it was up to her.

I looked at Jessicas file and couldn’t resist opening it. The blooming cheek. She had me back in the office with another six people that she said she needed to handle the workload. She’d recommended that there were four team leaders instead of two and that Anne and I were just team members.

She also highlighted that she needed a secretary for the reports and administration. What planet was she living on in this day and age?

I sent a message to James to see if he was acknowledging me yet and then checked my e-mails to see that my appointment with Dr Ramsden was confirmed for 3pm at his private surgery with both Kate and Dave Roberts copied in.

That was my afternoon almost filled. I assumed I’d be there for at least an hour and it was at least 15 minutes by taxi to where he was. So I thought about what to say to him. I still was feeling like I was living in a dream and whilst each day was a new experience I wondered if I would soon tire of this lifestyle or if if it was just a novelty. I liked the job and the people around me and I liked that I was taking pride in my appearance and growing more confident as a person.

I wish I’d had my mobile phone ready to take a photo of Anne as she came out. Her face was just the opposite to Jessicas with a sweet smile and she did a little shake of her hips as if she was shedding an old layer that was dragging her back. She just crossed her fingers and made a funny expression. ‘She’s great. You were right.’

I couldn’t say anything since Dave came out and so Anne excused herself. I was asked to pop in for a chat at 11-30am.

Well now it was me. I decided not to change my mind about rushing in to accept the job. I was sure that I would but I thought ‘better safe than sorry.’

Kate was kind enough to explain that they’d declined Jessicas plan and offered her an alternative position. They intended to handle this carefully to avoid any constructive dismissal problems and then Kate just said ‘formalties so it’s not a problem. Jessica will understand when she calms down.’

So they’d decided to make Anne the temporary manager with a 3 months trial and said that she understood that it was important to get the teams motivated and properly managed. She’d picked out her team leaders so starting Monday she had the job.

‘So how about you then Chris?’

I told them I was pretty sure I’d accept but I’d like to confirm it on Monday after I’d chatted to my family and taken other advice including that of the Company doctor. Kate stood up and walked around the office to stretch her legs. There was something about her today that I’d not noticed before.

She was very beautiful, yet not pretty. She was tall and slim and I guess her trouser suit made her legs appear longer, especially in her heels.

Just now her beauty was more with a look of a young Anjelica Houston than pretty like Catherine Zeta Jones but she could carry both looks. I was getting carried away as I imagined her with a small cigar or cigarette strolling backwards and forwards. She did have the look of her father now that I’d met him. But no moustache of course.

I admitted to myself that I really wanted the job and that I shouldn’t risk missing the chance. I must be a fool to dilly dally.

But I resisted. I’d made my decision so I decided to stick with it to give an answer the following Monday. They accepted and Dave said I needed to see my own doctor as well as the Company doctor if I confirmed acceptance so he could examine me and provide a letter explaining that I was in transition that I’d need to avoid any problems. The Company would then provide full support.

He hit me between the eyes with that one. It was not a game anymore. This was a serious undertaking. Had I got the guts to carry it through?

I left them to talk together and the rest of the morning was a blur. Apparently Jessica finally returned to her office and shut herself in with Anne for a discussion whilst they both waited for the official feedback. Anne told me later that Jessica was in a state of shock but said she’s asked for a move to another department to further her career in the Company. Anne knew she was trying to put on a brave face and was kind enough to offer words of encouragement.

I went to lunch and called at House of Frasers department store as planned to seek help and advice on one of the make-up counters. I hovered around for five or ten minutes before plucking up the courage to accept an offer of help.

It was pretty busy and I felt conspicuous as shoppers looked on as they passed by. I’d seen this many times before in department stores but never expected to be sitting in the ‘dentists chair ‘like this in full view whilst Amy went to work on me.

She was so friendly and helpful and removed my own make-up replacing it with a much softer foundation and a brown eye shadow. She complemented me on my eye lashes and skin although I was sure she noticed that I had some signs of moustache growth and she asked why I didn’t have my ears pierced to avoid the problems of sore ears with the clip-ons I was wearing.

When she finished I couldn’t believe it. I wanted to put her in my bag and take her home with me. Then she quietly spoke and said ‘Sir you make a very beautiful girl. Can I help you choose some products that will suit you better than those you are using?’

I must have gone as red as a beetroot and I couldn’t speak. She waited patiently until I said thank you and since she’d not been embarrassed I felt at least now I could be honest and try out my new credit card.’ It worked and I’d made a friend as well who I might go back to for future purchases. She was very discreet and said she’d been delighted to be of assistance.

As I left the store I was still floating on air. I felt that everyone was looking at me and I couldn’t resist looking at my reflection as I passed the shops walking up the precinct. I just had time for a salad snack with some sparkling water before I headed towards the bank for my appointment.

I was ten minutes early so I had a nervous wait in the seating area before Louise came looking for me. I’d checked into reception as Christine Taylor and when she introduced herself Louise asked if there had been a problem because the appointment was for Chris Taylor. Was I Mrs Taylor?

I just said no Ms Taylor and afterwards she said she’d assumed she’d made a mistake or that I was a sister.

When I sat down I explained and she sat there silent for a while before asking me for some evidence such as my passport or birth certificate or even a doctors letter.

I’d got none of these and said that I had no idea what to expect and that I’d come for advice. We chatted for about ten minutes and she complemented me on my appearance and asked me where I worked and what job I did. It seemed like Louise had a few customers from our company and I felt comfortable to tell her a little bit about my changing circumstances.

Unfortunately Louise said it was unlikely that she could change the name on the card but that I was free to use it on the internet or to withdraw cash until we had chance to do something about it. She needed me to at least bring a doctors letter before she could take any action with her boss.

So I headed back to the office partly pleased but mainly frustrated with myself. Why hadn’t I anticipated this?

Then I got a call and I quickly opened my bag to answer. It was Julie. She was so excited and had had a wonderful lunch with her friend who worked for a Marketing and Research company. She’d been asked if she’d help them out on a short term contract with chance of a permanent position.

She was so happy and I was happy for her. Of course I was also delighted that she’d be working close by and that she was at least going to stick around for a while. I couldn’t have wished for better news since it gave me confidence to carry on. Mum would be relieved too and I’m sure that she’d help me to get mum and dad talking to each other and to help me sort out some things about Aunt Judith.

When I arrived back at the office Kate was waiting for me and we didn’t have time to chat. I had hoped she might notice my new look but no comment so I just followed her instructions and typed out an official announcement about Jessica and Anne.

She told me she’d had another chat with Jessica who was leaving on Friday night and transferring to a new store as assistant manager. She just said she’d be more suited to this role and thanked me for my honesty.

My next task was to visit Dr Ramsden so I left early and Kate said no need to go back to the office. I must say I was a little surprised how old he was and it appeared that he was semi retired and worked on a private basis for our Company checking staff and ensuring that any sickness notes were valid and that staff weren’t abusing the sickness and benefit system. Kate had introduced this scheme and told me that it had a big effect with much lower lost time due to one or two days absence with headaches or stomach upsets.

Dr Ramsden wore a white coat that was open for his protruding stomach covered by a waistcoat with a few stains here and there. He was a kind man who said I was not the first such case to be referred to him. So nothing I said seemed to be a surprise and he told me he’d known Kate and her family for more than twenty years before he’d moved to Leeds.

He asked me to undress and put on a gown and I was shocked since this was unexpected. I left on my bra and panties that he asked me to remove. He stood there but looked away.
Then I followed him to his desk and he checked my heart, blood pressure, looked into my eyes with a light, checked my ears and then my reflexes.

He asked about my general health and then about my family and their health records. I chose not to say anything about Judith and referred to mum as my real mum. Then it got a bit embarrassing as he put on his gloves and checked me out for any deformity and I had to give a urine sample. After that he took a blood test.

Then he weighed me and got me to blow into a machine to test my lungs.

He examined my chest and remarked on the softness and flabbiness. He said that my nipples were enlarged for a man and asked if I was more comfortable wearing a bra.

I nodded and then he suggested that I might discuss this with my own doctor and have periodic checks.

He didn’t give me any more information and he said that he’d send his report to the Company in due course. I dressed and then used the bathroom before leaving wondering if everything was OK or not.

Why won’t doctors tell the patient what they find or at least re-assure them that everything is OK?

By the time I got home I was whacked out. Mum was back and before we had chance to sit and chat both Sally and Julie had arrived. So the tea was brewed and I unloaded as much data as I could about the events of the day.

It was unfair since I was again the centre of attention but Julie just said ‘Later,later’ when I tried to talk about her lunch meeting and her new job offer.

She just said ‘tell me again what Kate said’

‘What do you mean?’

‘It seems strange that she said that she understands your circumstances’

Sally was looking on with a puzzled expression and mums mind was somewhere else.

‘Not really.’

‘But you told me before that Jessica was her neice.’

‘Yes I did but what are you driving at?’

To be continued……..

up
129 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you,Julie,

ALISON

'This is developing into a really great story and Chrissie is a real character now.
You still have your signature 'cliff hanger' but you have given yourself plenty more
to work with over a long period.Well done ,Julie,for an intriguing story.

ALISON

At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 56

I am still wondering if Jessica will be causing problems.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Eh up...

It looks as though the two families are even more complicated than we thought! First, the company doctor mentions that Christine isn't "the first such case to be referred to him", then Julie picking up on Kate both saying she understands Christine's circumstances and that Jessica was her niece...

Putting those together to make the obvious assumption may be a case of adding two and two and getting five, but at the very least it indicates that there's more to Jessica than meets the eye. Very mysterious!

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

If I recall...

Andrea Lena's picture

...while no one accepts the spiteful behavior of Jessica, we know that she's suffered some significant emotional trauma in her life. I even recall the pang of sympathy that Chrissy felt when she realized just how bad Jessica had things as a child. Perhaps the next chapter will reveal more. I'm not willing to give up on her; and I will likely continue to hope that there is a lot more to her and much worth redeeming. Chrissy remains one of my favorite characters, even if her life works in fits and starts of short episodes. Or maybe it's just that Julie's printer ran out of ink? Always entertaining if exasperating cliffhanging suspense. Thank you!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I should lock myself away

Jules
and write more episodes and longer chapters and maybe I will buy some extra ink.
I do enjoy writing this story but sometimes my life gets in the way.
I wasn't really intending to write more than a few chapters but then something happened along the way. I started to get encouragement and I liked it.
Hugs

Jules

What I see is that

Jessica was put in a position she was clearly not qualified for. She reacted to the presure badly. Her past may have contributed to that. She may, even now, neeed some kind of counseling. Being put under someone else and allowed to learn how things are done may help. She may never be able to do it. Not everyone can.

Curious as to Kate being knowledgeable about TG issues. She knows someone like that? I do like the story and will wait as patiently as need be for all to be revealed.

New experiences and challenges...

Ole Ulfson's picture

and maybe a new little mystery to solve. I hope so: this is so much fun!

Any reader at this site who hasn't read this has missed a classic. But heck, most of you probably read it when it was first posted!

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

I think

I can see it coming, I bet Kate is TG too. Still loving this story Jules.