At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 30

Printer-friendly version

At last ‘A life’
By Julie D Cole
Chapter 30 The consequences

‘OMG what’s this about?’ I answered the security questions although the caller did question whether or not I was Mr or Ms Taylor and apologized for doubting me.

Then I was advised that there had been some suspicious activity on my credit card and several cash withdrawals had been made in the last 12 hours from my personal cheque account. I was told that I was overdrawn that had triggered the fraud squad of the bank to become involved.

I advised that I should have more than one thousand pounds in my cheque account and my last withdrawal had been in Birmingham the previous weekend that was also the last time that I’d used my credit card. Then I got the ‘Don’t worry sir we will deal with this matter but for now we have cancelled both cards and you will have to wait until new ones are issued that is likely to take more than 1 week.’

They asked if the could personally interview me and as I started to answer yes I suddenly looked down at my skirt, tights and heels and thought ‘oh no’ what shall I do?’
I told them I was due to travel to Birmingham and should I cancel or not. They said they could meet me on Monday morning if that was convenient since the interview was a formality. I agreed to go to my bank at 11am and hoped that Kate would let me have the time off.

But in the meantime I needed to check my other card and my savings account. At least the Barclays girl told me that nobody had access to my savings account except me. Luckily my Capital One account was untouched with no activity.

I wondered how someone could get my details and hadn’t left my purse anywhere. How do they do these things?

I called mum immediately and then Julie. They tried to calm me down by saying I’d probably get the money back but I was more concerned about how it was done by that time.

Then I rang Sally and she said she’d lend me some money for the weekend if I needed it and of course this was likely if we were going out so I felt my weekend was spoiled and that perhaps we shouldn’t go.

Then Sally said ‘I wonder if Jessica had anything to do with this’. I just said ‘Surely not, how could she and why should she?’

Sally said ‘Well she certainly would like to spoil our weekend and I’m sure that she knows your bank details from your records at work and because she’d been stood at the side of me when I paid the hotel bill the previous weekend.

I still couldn’t believe she’d stoop so low.

I agreed to carry on and meet Sally as planned. Julie called back and asked if I was OK and if I needed anything. I was OK by then and said I’ I just need a bit of time to calm down and a glass of wine would be nice if she could pop round. She laughed at my silly joke.

I decided the next best thing was a cup of tea and some cheesecake. I made some tea for Kate and took her half of the cheesecake. She tried to refuse but I said ‘Come on we both have to get fat or neither of us’.

I told her about the call from Barclays and she just looked back seriously and said I should write down what had been said and record my best knowledge of when I last used the cards and who was around.
I told her what Sally had said and she looked over her glasses and said ‘Really’.

I left her to eat in peace and just managed to finish mine when Jessica turned up for her meeting with Kate.

‘Now then lover how are we today. Everything ready for your little trip or will you change your mind? I’m available if you are.’

I didn’t feel so sure that she was innocent anymore so I just said that I was really looking forward to meet Sally and that we were both exited. If looks could kill I’d not be writing this story!!

Then she said ‘Is she ready for me yet?’ I rang and checked and then Jessica went in.
She must have been there for almost 1 hour during which time I decided to call Anne and we met for a chat next to the lift on the ground floor when I took the post down.

She asked what was happening with Jessica and said that despite her bravado she was terrified of the meeting. I couldn’t say much to Anne except that Kate had complemented us on Annes report contribution that seemed to stand out.

She hoped I would have a nice weekend and complemented me on my ring that she noticed as we touched to say goodbye. ‘Who is the lucky guy then?’

‘Me I guess HaHa’

As I arrived back at my desk Jessica came out looking as if she’d had three strokes of the cane and a detention. She was white as a sheet and just muttered something under her breath. ‘Don’t get mad, get even’.

She left without any acknowledgement to me and then Kate called me into her office and asked me to sit for a minute and take a few notes. I was no high flying secretary with shorthand skills but I managed to keep up.

Kate summarized the meeting and said that Jessica had been advised about her general attitude and unsatisfactory performance and that 2 complaints had been received. Kate had discussed Jessicas job with her and suggested that she go on a Management training course that would be arranged by HR department. In the meantime Jessica was instructed to prepare Anne to cover for her and to spend the following week showing her the basic systems and procedures.

I could have jumped up and kissed Kate and I think that she new because a small smile came across her lips.

I just had time to type it up and e-mail it to HR department and had to call them first to add a reference number to the report.

Kate said it was time I was going and hurried me to get changed so of course I did as instructed.

As I left the office with my carry on bag she reached to her purse and took out one hundred pounds that she gave to me for contingency funds. I was speechless and then she hugged me and kissed me saying she hoped I’d have a great time and that I should behave myself. Her last words ‘if you can’t be good be careful’

It wasn’t long before I was entering the railway station and Sally came rushing towards me and was hugging and kissing me as if we hadn’t seen each other for six months.

We collected the train tickets and whilst the girl behind the counter wasn’t too friendly at least she didn’t doubt us.

The train soon arrived and it was full because it was Friday afternoon. Luckily we had seats reserved in carriage E so after we boarded the train we made our way down the aisle. It’s not easy walking in heeled boots on a moving train and pulling a carry on.

I accidently bumped a mans arm as he was drinking his beer and he spilled it over his newspaper on the table.

‘You stupid bitch watch what you are doing.’
I turned and looked at him to say sorry and he returned my look and then said ‘OK Chick, How about you buy me a drink for spilling that?’

I said I would after I found my seat and then he grabbed my arm. ‘Look babe you better mean that since I was enjoying that.

I looked at Sally and she was frightened. Then I looked over her shoulder and who should be coming through the automatic door?

to be continued......

up
173 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 30

Looks as if Jessica not only tinkered with the bank account, she has also arranged something at the station.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

You have me

ALISON

'sitting on the edge of my seat as usual.Jessica,meanwhile is busy digging her own grave.I volunteer to
fill it in for her when she ends up in it. LOL

ALISON

Finally a comeuppance for Jessica?

Ole Ulfson's picture

Let's hope. But I'm more concerned about Christine. She, after all is my, our, main point of interest and she has a lot on her plate! Family secrets, probably big ones look foreboding. Her financial and possibly legal problems loom. And just because we readers love and accept her, let's not forget Christine's gender and probable bigotry problems.

Lots of work ahead for our intrepid author!

What a marvelous Saga.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!