Mutation - Part 20

Printer-friendly version

 

Mutation - Part 20
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2023 Melanie Brown

Switcher Mutation

 


 

After the guys and Aunt Catherine left to go see the movie, us girls, Molly and me and Mommy makes three, well four when you include Me-Maw, gathered in the kitchen. Before leaving, Oliver had helped Me-Maw shove the turkey into the oven. Not much else to do except stare at each other for three hours.

I folded my arms and glared at Mom. “Well, this is exciting.”

Mom frowned at me. “Are you going to mitch and bone all afternoon about that movie?”

I leaned against the kitchen counter. “That’s the plan.”

Sitting at the small kitchen table, Mom took another sip of her coffee and said, “Honey, I just don’t think you’re old enough for such a violent movie.”

I stiffened as I folded my arms tighter as I studied the floor. “You know that ain’t true. You know… for reasons.” Reasons like I’m really your older brother. If Me-Maw were told that, all the bobby pins would pop out of her hair. And Molly… I think just saying good morning to her would cause her to get all verklempt.

I looked up at Mom. “Besides. It’s a comedy.”

Mom took another sip of her coffee. “Maybe when you’re older.” She’s really letting this Mom business go to her head.

Me-Maw stepped next to me and with her fingers, brushed my hair out of my eyes. “Did you have a good Christmas, Chrystal?”

I nodded. I looked up at her and said, “I did, Me-Maw. Thank you for the doll house and the dolls.”

Me-Maw’s face beamed. “You’re very welcome, honey. I wished I had a doll house like that when I was a girl.” Actually, I think there were doll houses like that when she was as kid. She didn’t grow up in the 1800’s. She ruffled my hair. “I need a little helper today in the kitchen. Do you think you can do that?”

I smiled at her and said, “Sure, Me-maw!” As if I’d tell the old lady to take a hike. Mom smiled at me. Molly smiled at me as well. I had a weird feeling I was being initiated into a club. A club of domesticated housewives. Okay, Mom isn’t married yet, but she soon will be. And I’m being domesticated right before my very eyes. I wondered when I’d officially become a member of the coven. In the back of my head, I could hear Admiral Ackbar shouting “It’s a trap!” But what can I do?

Me-Maw opened the oven door and pulled out the pan with the turkey in it. She said, “Time to baste the turkey. Why don’t you do it, Chrys? Use this step stool to get high enough.” She slid a step stool up to the stove.

After carefully standing on the stool and hopefully fulfilled my basting task correctly Me-Maw said, “Why don’t you go play? I’ll call you back when we need you.”

Thank God I said to myself. I turned to Mom as I started to leave the kitchen and asked, “Can I go outside?”

Mom nodded. “Be sure to wear your jacket. It’s still cold outside.” Not wanting to risk Mom changing her mind, I bounded to the hall closet and retrieved my jacket and quickly put it on. I opened the front door and almost ran out into the yard.

The air was a bit nippy and it amused me to see my breath in the air. The atmosphere inside the kitchen had been getting slowly oppressive. And a bit too warm. I left my jacket opened and just outstretched my arms and spun around, enjoying the cool air. The predicted snow never arrived. In fact, the sun was out and the sky a deep blue.

My giggling and spinning came to a halt when I saw the boy standing on the sidewalk. He looked to be maybe twelve and was wearing a zipped up jacket with some sports team label on it.

He grinned at me and said, “Hi.”

Ducking beneath the leafless branches of the tree in the yard, I took a few steps towards him, stopping just outside arms reach of him. Cleverly, I said, “Hi.”

Still smiling at me, he pointed at the house and asked, “Do you live here?”

For some reason, I made a quick look back to verify there was indeed a house there. I just said, “No. It’s my grandparents’ house.” Technically that’s not true yet.

He nodded. “I didn’t think I’d seen you before.” He pointed at the house next door and said, “That’s my house. My name’s Liam.”

I smiled at him. “Nice to meet you, Liam. I’m Chrystal.”

His smile broadened. He said, “That’s a pretty name.” Such a smooth operator. “Do you go to Ross?” I assumed he meant Ross elementary. He inclined his head in the general direction of the school.

“No. Actually, I live across town.” Liam looked a bit deflated on hearing that news.

Standing a bit taller, Liam announced, “I go to Milam Middle School. I’m in the seventh grade.”

Dashing his hopes of romance, I said, “I’m in the fifth grade at Crocket.”

Liam nodded. “I went to Ross.” I bet I could have guessed that.

Two adults exited Liam’s house and walked towards the car parked in the driveway. As the man got into the car, the woman called out, “Honey! Let’s go.”

Turning around for a second, Liam shouted, “Coming, Mom!” He turned back to me wearing a grin. “We’re going to go see that new Tommy Kincaid movie. Later!” He turned and ran to his car and climbed inside.

I waved to the car as it backed out of the driveway. Why you little rat bastard, I said to myself.

*          *          *

To be continued…

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It seems that everyone is going to see that Tommy Kincaid movie

Julia Miller's picture

Except for Chrystal. It sucks to be in a 10-year-old body when your memories are much older. I would have thought she would be forgetting them all by now, but maybe Chrystal is one of the few mutants that will always remember. She had better watch herself though, as I think Mommy might crush those memory loss pills and put it in her food.

It seems

It seems mom's getting into the role faster and more completely than Chrystal.

Hanging In There

joannebarbarella's picture

Chrystal is not giving up!

The casual betrayal!

Iolanthe Portmanteaux's picture

Oh, Liam! Oh, humanity!

- iolanthe

Let me guess

That was the movie she wanted to see.

Movie

Melanie Brown's picture

Yes