Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 3377

Printer-friendly version
The Weekly Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 3377
by Angharad

Copyright© 2023 Angharad

  
023_0.JPG

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
~~~~~~~~~

The first day with Man-dy, went well. So how can I describe her, very young and naïve, very willing, and wants to learn. I hope she's not another Delia and wants to learn about biology, because we'll lose another one. I had an email from Delia the other day, she's doing a master's degree in ecology at Brighton, she got a 2:1 from us a very respectable degree, so I'm glad she's doing well. Diane has no such ambitions, or if she has she's kept them well hidden, besides she's been around biologists and ecologists for a long time, so she knows what we're like, though no one is like me. Mad as a hatter and practicing my grumpiness so my kids can claim mental cruelty when they leave home.

Mandy doesn't seem to have ambition beyond doing the best job she can for our department and so far her typing is good and she hasn't broken my latest dormouse mug. The second day she appeared in jeans and trainers with a nice jumper over it. Of course, Diane was clad in trousers and blouse with a waistcoat and looked immaculate, I was in a designer suit as I had quite an important meeting later.

Mandy complimented me on my dress and said she could see the quality of it. I looked at her a little more carefully, I didn't necessarily approve of jeans and trainers but I do wear them myself, so can't say anything, Diane would blind me, and her clothes were clean and pressed so I decided just to accept, after all we have myriad students who wear similar and Mandy's was tidier.

"Diane, who is Lady Cameron? I had call for her while you were in the bathroom, I told the caller I was new, took their number and told them I would find Lady C and ask her to get back to them. So, do we have any aristocrats working here?"

"No we only have the one and I've warned her that the tumbril is waiting outside if she plays up."

"What's that?"

French Revolution, they had carts called tumbrils to carry the aristocrats to Madame Guillotine."

"Oh, I see, I'm learning so much. So where is this endangered aristocrat?"

"From the people you've met so far, who could it be?"

"I don't know, I wasn't thinking of it when meeting them. The nicest dresser is the prof, so who else is there?"

"Go and speak to the professor, she tell you where our errant aristo is."

Mandy walked to my door and knocked I told her to come in and she stood beside me, or rather by the side of my desk. "How's it going?"

"Very well, thank you professor, you said I could come to you if I needed some help."

"I did indeed, so what help do you need?" I tried top appear approachable and friendly to her but she was blushing like a three bar electric fire.

"Um, I took a phone call for a Lady, something or other, sorry I forgot her surname, could you tell me where to find her?"

"Certainly, go out of our office, out the door, turn around three times and come back in and then proceed to this doorway, and by then, the notorious Lady Cameron will be here."

"Go out and turn and come back?"

"Yep, but you have to rotate three times or she won't come." I teased her, and because she was so green she did just as I said, much to Diane's astonishment.

Of course, by this time I had combed my hair and checked my makeup, donned my suit jacket and made sure the door was shut. A light tap sounded on my door and I called 'enter', her eyes nearly came out on stalks, "Where's Lady wotsit, I mean Cameron?"

"Where do you think?"

"Is it you, professor?"

" 'Fraid so, I also turn into a bat when there's a full moon, if you believe Diane." I watched her embarrassment and decided to stop the tease, "It's my other name, Watts is my maiden name, Cameron is my married one and they threw the title in as compensation for marrying Simon, so you've tracked me down and you mentioned something about a telephone call?"

"I'm so sorry, I didn't realise professor I mean, Lady Cameron. I didn't know."

"Look, sweetheart, it's fine if you don't know ask we told you and you did just that but I couldn't resist a gentle tease, so please forgive me. Now what was the message?"

She handed a post it with the number I had to call back and the caller's name. "Oh, this is the chap I'm supposed to be meeting for lunch, I wonder if there's problem?"

"I don't know I just took the message but I now understand why the caller was a bit surprised, I'm sorry, Professor, you said Simon was your husband, is Simon Cameron the banker?"

" That's him when I see him, he spends much of his time up in town."

"Wow, he's like a millionaire, I've never met one of those."

"It's bit of a letdown unless they want something, I didn't know who Simon was for weeks, I just don't move in those circles."

"But surely, you do now."

"Only when I have to, moving around in circles only makes you dizzy," she smiled at my attempted joke and blushed like Belisha beacon. "I'm just like you really, a plain ordinary woman who happens to married well and got a few degrees. You could do the same you know."

"Oh, god," she said and rushed to the bathroom.

"What have you done now?" demanded Diane rushing into my room as I was dialling to return my call.

"Out please and shut the door as you leave," I said firmly and astonishedat my tone, she did as I asked.

I made my call and realising I had no lunch partner for an already booked table, I went out to assess the damage in the outer office. " All right now?! I asked Mandy who looked a bit pale and was wiping her mouth with a tissue. Before she could reply Trish and Danni burst into my outer office.

"Mummy some creep as good as accused us of only being here because you're our father, I want you to tell them we're here because we deserve to be. Hi, Diane," she said looking around.

Mandy suddenly had real life drama to watch and her colour seemed to be returning, "Okay, who was this person and where did they go?"
" They came out of lab 7 and we were only together because I picked up some of Trish' notes by mistake this morning, so I went to take them to her."

"Male or female and when did it happen?"

"Ten minutes ago, it was man who looked like a lecturer."
they both said

"Sorry, Mandy, the big one is Danielle and the smaller one is Trish, say hello girls."

They both looked around noticed Mandy sitting next to Diane. "Hi," to Mandy who nodded and blushed.

"Diane can you find out who was using lab 7 until fifteen minutes ago."

"On it, boss," she replied and I noticed that Danni and Trish were talking to our latest recruit. I heard her mumbling into the phone then she thanked who she talked with and said loudly, "Dr Ericson from chemistry."

"Call him and tell him I want to see him urgently."

She made a call and she told him the message to come and see Professor Watts urgently. "He'll be here in ten minutes."

"Oh good, Mandy you are about to witness high dudgeon, so sit back and enjoy." she looked at me in confusion, Diane winked at her and she went to her desk. "You two in my office and stay there, put the door on the jar. Trish don't touch anything, I mean it." she pouted and went into my office.

A little more than ten minutes later in came Dr Ericson, "You wanted to see me, Professor?"

"Yes I have had a complaint from two first year students, they said you disparaged them."

"Me, I don't think so, only the two Cameron girls and they're because of their father, the university always bends to money."

"Oh that's good to know."

"How is that good?"

"He sponsors quite a lot of our research."

"Yeah, big deal."

"Oh dear, Dr Ericson, I don't think I like you. Girls come out please." They trooped out and I asked them if this was the man who had disparaged them. They confirmed his identity. he began blushing, "That is Trish, who is down to go to Cambridge as soon as she finishes her degree here, she is only here because she's too young to go to Cambridge, or at least I thought so. She has an IQ off the scale and has Physics, Maths and Pure Maths a-level, all in A star categories, her sister passed her A-Levels with Two As and a B. Both deserve to be here and I'd like you to apologise to them and I'd like to think you meant it, because if you didn't, I'd recommend disciplinary action. Finally, I'd suggest you keep stupid thoughts like you voiced today at home because they have no place at my university."

Blushing he apologised to the girls, eating a large wedge of humble pie, they accepted his apology and he then apologised to me for his stupid behaviour. He went out blushing. "We gotta get some lunch," Trish said and they shot off down the stairs.

I said to my office support and announced, "If they hadn't run off so quick they could have come with us, get you coats on ladies, it's lunch time." Then without further ado we descended to my Jag and I drove us off to Hamilton's restaurant and my pre-booked table.

"I can't let you buy me lunch again," said Mandy.

"Sorry but it's all on my account." We were approached by a waiter who regarded Mandy a bit snottily although he clothes were clean and tidy. As we went in, the maitre de, called out," Good to see you Lady Cameron." I raised my hand to acknowledge him and instead went over to speak with them and mentioned the waiter's surly attitude. He nodded as if to say, leave it to me.

"Is my casual style letting the side down?" asked Mandy.

"Only to one person and I've marked his card for him."

"I knew I shouldn't have come, I can't afford to eat here if the truth be known," she added.

"You are as entitled to eat here as anyone else, now stop worrying and order, the meal's on me." From the look I got from the waiter, if he'd been serving us, that could have been true, but we were served by a lovely young waitress and she got a good tip for effort.

"Do you eat out like this all the time?"

"I wish," I replied not really meaning it.

"Don't listen to her, Mandy," said Diane, "They only have a professional chef at home and he is brilliant."

"OMG," said Mandy and went quite pale again. She was okay when we got back to my office and after a cuppa we all cracked on, She brought me in some tea an hour later and thanked me for her lunch which she had enjoyed, she'd had smoked salmon for the first time and enjoyed it. I had the same smoked salmon on scrambled egg on a piece of toast, well two servings."

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
140 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Smelling salts?

Maybe Mandy should keep some handy until she gets more used to things.

Loved the reaming she gave that lecturer. I doubt he will make that mistake again.

Over the last

couple of years we have been to two Michelin starred restaurants , Both were enjoyable in their own way and in both cases the waiting staff were excellent , Cathys waiter needs to realise that should never judge a book by its cover, My parents always told us that we should treat everyone the same as you would like to be treated yourself Something the waiter needs to add to his waiting skills...

We both loved our Michelin meals but the size of portions left a lot to be desired, The food is presented wonderfully but sometimes all you really want to do is sink your teeth into a nice plate of fish and chips and some mushy peas ..... Heaven !!

Kirri

Dang

Maddy Bell's picture

You saved the best for last, smoked salmon with scrambled egg! I can cook lots of stuff but so far scrambled egg has evaded me so it’s a treat when I go away.

Maybe Mandy is a career administrator in the making, academia isn’t the way for everyone


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Sounds delicious!

Wendy Jean's picture

One of those things I've never had either but there is time. Enjoying the story as always Ang.

Snotty Waiters

joannebarbarella's picture

Seems to be a universal affliction.

And Basil Fawlty is coming out of retirement!

Smart women!

I think thats one of the myiad of reasons I love this series. True, we can be as catty as the rest. Yet, surrounded by them, life is entertaining.

You know, I've gone back to reading the entire series over? Simply because I stay caught up with the latest installment, not able to stand the delay for the next :)

Thanks again, Angharad.

I've read it four times

Angharad's picture

always intending to sort the typos but get fed up with doing it very quickly. There are times when I am quite proud of Bike and times when even the cat laughs at it.

Angharad