Castle The Series - 0081 Jackdaw’s Horde, Marcy and Beth

Printer-friendly version

A Word Usage Key is at the end. Some commonly used words are there whether used in this chapter or not. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood of the n is replaced by a d or ed. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically with a footnote number. If you have suggestions I would be pleased to consider implementing them.

The brackets after a character e.g. CLAIRE (4 nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.) There is a list of chapters and their significant characters at the bottom too.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00008030

JACKDAW’S HORDE

MID-FORENOON BEATRIX, JACKDAW AND THE BOYS

5th of Chent Day 8

Though George, Alwydd and Niall had parents they regarded Beatrix and Jackdaw to be the parents of the squad, which included all thirteen of them, and since all thirteen were treated equally by them and were well come without question the three didn’t even think of it and oft spent the night there rather than returning home. The members of the squad were in awe of Jackdaw to start with, but it enabled them to walk taller when the huntsmen started to refer to them as Jackdaw’s horde. Jackdaw was an easy going dad they all respected hugely and they enjoyed every minute they spent with him. Beatrix they rapidly came to love as the mother most of them had never had. That she stood no nonsense from any of them maekt no difference. She loved them, they were hers, and they knew it, for they’d heard of her fierce and loud arguments on their behalfs when others, who barely knew them, had disparaged them for their assumed wildth. They belonged, and their now exemplary behaviour would have astonished those who had known them back on Earth.

Manic had finally thought of a new name: Glen. “I’ve read it on whisky bottles before coming here. It means a valley, and it’s a Folk name too. Any way I like it.”

The squad knew what he’d thought of his parents and how he hated his name, and Wayland said on their behalf, “Glen! It’s peaceful and suits you, and it’s much better than Manic which was a stupid name for someone as serious as you.” The rest of the boys agreed and the matter was never mentioned again.

Jackdaw had telt them of a whole list of things they would have to learn to become huntsmen. Some of which, he explained, would be best taught by others, but he would arrange it. He had telt them of what he could teach them, and suggested they decide mongst themselfs what they wished to do first. They had chosen tracking and had maekt arrangements to spend a tenner or so with tents on a circular trip south-east of the Little Arder. They would, he explained, be taking little in the way of food other than his usual bag of salt and spices and a sack of flour and would live by hunting and foraging. They were excited at the prospect and had arranged with George that half of the squad would go on the first trip, and the other half on the next one. George, Alwydd, Niall, Marcy, Chris and Glen would manage the kennels during this trip and whilst they went on the second trip Freddy, Guy, Jed, Liam, Wayland, Sharky and Fergal would manage the kennels.

George had asked them who they wished to be in charge when he was away, and all agreed Wayland was the best choice because he would be best at spaeking with adults for them. George thought Wayland was an appropriate choice and they had maekt it for sensible reasons. He subsequently asked the squad how they felt regards Wayland being his deputy, and there was total agreement. Wayland had shrugged his shoulders and said, “What ever, George. I suppose I should have expected it. When you’ve a big mouth like me, sooner or later someone tells you to do something to justify what you’ve sayt.”

Will had telt Chris to negotiate with Gudrun for mounts for the squad and she had said she could make temporary arrangements for all except Liam due to his highth. She telt him she would send a message to Alfalfa to find a mount for Liam and permanent mounts for the others. Chris had telt Gudrun he wished horses that were only just, if at all, ridable for all of them. Gudrun didn’t ask him if he were sure, the squad were all as eccentric as Will, and she had agreed to pass his requirements on. Alfalfa had said it would take a few days but her daughter Tansy would bring an appropriate animal for Liam to the Keep along with the others, and they would all be at best barely ridable as requested. Chris was going to teach them to ride, and they were looking forward to it, but they had refused to do anything till such time as Liam could join them, so Chris telt Gudrun the temporary mounts would not be required.

Unknown to the squad, that they would not pursue an activity they were known to be desperate to learn without Liam gained them considerable respect from the senior members of the huntsmen. They gained even more when Weyland informed Will that in the meanwhile they were being taught to drive a waggon and team by some of Geoffrey’s crafters which George had negotiated with Geoffrey in return for ratting in his stables and feed and bedding stores.

Some of the boys had admitted to Beatrix their reading and writing was not all it could be and for the first time in their lifes they wished to learn to read and write properly. Beatrix had telt them she would take care of it herself, and Jackdaw had telt them he would find something for them to read they would be interested in. The huntsmen had books on falconry, hunting, tracking, fishing and similar topics, and he telt them he would borrow some for them. He came back later that day with a dozen hand written books some of which had detailed, painted watercolours of wildlife in them. The boys were awed such precious objects were entrusted to their care. Freddy, who was a little envious of Glen because Glen had managed to find himself a new and appropriate name and he hadn’t yet, was looking at some of the pictures when he shouted excitedly, “Hey! Guys, Sis, look at this!” He shewed the others a picture of a bird so tightly camouflaged in a reed bed it was hard to see in the picture.

Marcy, who was studying a book of animal tracks with Guy, was interested, but naytheless asked, “Why are you so excited looking at a painting of a bird hiding in those reeds, Freddy?”

“I’m not Freddy any more. I’m Bittern now. That’s what I call camo.(1) I want to be so good at hunting I can blend in like that.” His siblings agreed Bittern was an excellent name, very Folk, and entirely appropriate for someone who wished to be a hunter.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00008040

GROWING UP CAN BE HARD TOO

AFTERNOON BEATRIX, MARCY AND BETH

5th of Chent Day 8

Marcy knew the Folk had no prejudices concerning sexuality and her dad would consider it just the way things were. The incomer children had accepted her as a girl, as Wayland had telt them they should, and her brothers had found it easier to accept and treat her as a sister, rather than as a girly brother which she considered wonderful. They were noticeably gentler with her than with each other which taekt a lot of stress out of her life, but she wished it completely out in the open so she could be herself and grow up to find and become her adult self. That meant her mum had to know, and she was desperate Beatrix should accept her as her birth mother had done.

She knew she could easily find Folk parents who would love to have her as a daughter, yet that would mean a distance between herself and her brothers and parents whom she already loved, so she agonised over what to do. Eventually, not able to put it off any longer she decided to tackle the matter head on. She waited till her mum was on her own after lunch and blurted out, “Mum, I want you to know I’m a trans girl, and I want to know how you feel about it. But no matter what you think I want you to know I love you and Dad and the boys and I want and need not just your acceptance but your love too. I don’t want to have to leave.” At that she braekt down and sobbing waited in dread for the consequences of her outburst.

Beatrix was not surprised by what Marcy had said, but she was by her telling her so soon. She had realised Marcy was effeminately gay or trans within minutes of meeting her and had suspected the latter because Marcy’s spaech and body language were those of a girl, and her long, styled hair and the clothes she had been wearing when she first arrived gave her a feminine appearance. She’d wondered what had caused her to have such badly bitten nails and bleeding fingers, but, several days from being fully aware of the influence Wayland had on the boys’ attitudes and behaviour, most of all she’d wondered why the others, most of who were a tough and hard bitten lot, whom she would have expected to have given someone like Marcy a hard time, treated her gently as though she were a girl in a natural way they were comfortable with. She now knew why the boys had glanced at Marcy and she had shaken her head when Jackdaw had referred to boys and sons when they first met. That the boys knew she was a girl, had accepted her and protected her secret till she was ready to come out meant there was clearly a lot more to her tearaway boys than she’d realised which maekt her love them even more.

With tears in her eyes she reached for her sobbing daughter. Hugging her she kissed her in a way that left Marcy in no doubt of her feelings. “There’s no need to cry, Love. I had considered you may be from the way you behave and the way your brothers treat you, Marcy, and your name is not usual for a boy is it? I thought I heard Bittern shout ‘Guys, Sis’ earlier, but assumed I’d misheard him. Now I can see they must all know and accept it, but they haven’t said anything. I’m glad you told me because I shouldn’t want you to feel you have be anything other than yourself.”

Marcy, nervous, hesitant and tearful, telt her of her life before Castle, and Beatrix with her arms still berount her and stroking her hair, said, “If your school, your friends, Pol and her parents, and your mum didn’t care why did you think I should, Love?” Without waiting for an answer she continued, “You’re a bit young yet to know what you will be as an adult, but wherever it takes you you’ll still be my Marcy, unless of course you chose another name, Love.”

A much relieved Marcy hiccuped, wiped her eyes and continued, “Freddy, Bittern that is, thought he had a problem with it to start with, but he didn’t really, and he asked me if it would bother me if the boys regarded me as their sister, seeing as the incomer children as well as the Folk children all treat me as a girl. I’m happy with that because I am a girl, and it does make life easier for my brothers to see me that way,” she paused a few seconds, “and I really like it too. They think I need looking after, which is very sweet of them, and even though I can look after myself Wayland says they feel their sister shouldn’t have to when she has brothers to do it for her. I think he encouraged them to feel that way.”

She paused again, but eventually continued, “Glen said I should find myself a new name too, one that suited the way I thought of myself better, a girl’s name. I told them I should like that and explained I was originally Marc and others called me Marcy because it’s Marc with an extra letter though I was also called Marce. Wayland was angry with me when I said that and told me I had been stupid to let others choose my name just to make life easy for themselves. He said, ‘If my sister wants a completely girly name just because she likes it it’s nothing to do with us and it’s certainly nothing to do with any one else. What ever you decide everyone else will just have to accept it the same as they will with Glen and Bittern. We all need to live the way that makes us happy with our lives, and if you don’t I shall be really pissed off with you. When you’ve decided on a name, and whether you want to be referred to as she or he, and while you’re at it whether you want to dress as a girl or a boy let us know. We’ll shove what ever you decide down any one’s throat who has issues with it till they accept you as you want to be accepted.’ The others all agreed with him.”

Marcy, clearly under great emotional strain, sniffed and continued, “I’m really grateful to Wayland because he has made it possible for me to consider who I am and who I want to be rather than trying to meet everybody else’s expectations of me. I’m certain I’m a trans girl, a girl in a boys body, but I’m not totally sure of all the implications because I’ve read it’s complicated. I had an appointment to see my gender dysphoria consultant and expected to be put on puberty blockers, but now that’s not going to happen. I know I’d rather die than become a man.” Marcy choked and it was a while before she whispered, “My friends were trying to find me a boyfriend. I was going to be a bride’s maid at my mum’s wedding, and now I won’t even be there. Life was looking good, and now it’s all fallen apart on me.”

Marcy had finally run out of emotional resources and unable to fight it off any longer she was unravelling as her realisation of her new circumstances finally overwhelmed her. As Beatrix watched her newly found daughter break down, she’d never felt so much pain for another in her entire life, and she was angrier than she’d ever been before, far angrier than when she’d faced down the gossips who’d blackguarded and vilified her sons based on hearsay. That fate could visit this on a little girl was monstrous, and her anger and her love gave her a strongth she focussed on helping Marcy put herself back together, for Beatrix knew if Marcy did not do it now she would never be able to.

Beatrix knew, despite her pain, her love was the only thing she had with which to help, so knowing she had to be strong and very matter of fact she steeled herself, choked down her own pain, smiled and said, “One step at a time, Love, there’s no point in worrying yourself sick about things that may never happen. We’ll have to see what’s possible for you, and you can face your problems one at a time. Wayland tends to be a bit blunt, but he does have his head on right you know. Just remember you are not on your own. On a less bothersome and more positive note, have you come to any conclusions at all yet, Love?”

Beatrix’s calm response to Marcy’s misery had helped, and swallowing hard Marcy eventually replied, “Yes. I liked Glen’s suggestion of a new name. I thought of a few, but I like short names like Marc, Marcy and Marce, and I decided on Beth. I don’t know how I feel being she all the time, but I have never been as happy as when I lived like a girl and wore girl’s clothes because it felt right. It’s a choice I never considered I should have full time for years, though I had some pretty clothes and was going to wear a full length skirt at school next year like some of the other girls. I was going to play table tennis with my friends and was looking forward to wearing a tennis skirt with ruffled knickers and a girls’ polo shirt I’d bought off eBay. Mum and I were going to go shopping for dresses for Pol and me to wear at the wedding.” Beth seemed ill at ease and waited for Beatrix’s reaction.

“Beth. That’s lovely, Beth. You take your time to decide the rest, and what ever you decide I’ll shove it down throats too if need be. See, you’ve taken the first step and I can tell you’re feeling a little better as a result. As I said, just take it one step at a time. Do your brothers and your dad know about your new name?”

“The boys do. I don’t know if Dad does. I haven’t found him to tell him yet, but one of the boys might have done. I didn’t say it was a secret because it’s not. I don’t suppose he’ll be bothered, will he?”

“Without doubt not. That’s how it is here, and that’s how it should be. And your dad knowing is yet another small step.” Beatrix put her arms back berount her girly child who had so resolutely confronted issues she thought none of that age should have had to deal with, and who was probably going to have to confront those issues for the rest of her life. Beatrix was convinced, from the way Beth had spaken of wearing girls’ clothes, having some pretty clothes, frilly knickers and had referred to the she or he issue, unconsciously saying ‘the other girls’, and ‘being she all the time,’ and of being a bride’s maid she now had a daughter. It was just Beth wasn’t comfortable enough with it yet to present herself on her own terms to her new society permanently as an obvious girl.

There were tears of relief in Beth’s eyes, and Beatrix hugged her tightly. “It’s all right to cry, Beth Love. Your life will probably be difficult for a while. It will take you time to come to terms with whomever you are becoming, and don’t forget, just like your brothers, you’re growing up too, and that can be hard. Just take it one step at a time, Beth, and when things are difficult just take smaller steps.” She kissed her cheek and continued, “You have been strong enough to face two worlds down by being yourself, and I am sure everything will turn out for the best. If your brothers want to look after you as a sister let them because there will come times in their lives when you will be the one best able to look after them. Many men are uncomfortable with the idea of loving their male relatives, but there is no need to be, and you lot do all love each other don’t you?”

“Of course we do. It’s all part of Wayland’s idea of being brothers in arms. I love my brothers and you and Dad, and George, Niall and Alwydd too, and I don’t think the others would have a problem saying that, Mum.” Beatrix thought that unlikely, but she said nothing. “Most of us had lives that weren’t too good, though mine was better than most, and now things are a lot better for the boys, and even for me in some ways. Wayland says it’s not just because Castle is a better place to be, it’s also because of the way we now see life too. Gratitude, Mum. I really do love you too. I was scared to tell you, and mostly the reason was because you’d said you wanted a family of boys.”

“Don’t be silly, Beth. I love you all, but I think I’m going to enjoy having a daughter too. The reason I wanted boys was because I’ve never really got on with females of any age and I was a bit apprehensive how I would relate to girls. I’m not now. Tell you what, I want some make up and perfume. I don’t know if that’s possible here yet, but I’m going to make enquiries. If it is, would you like to come with me and see what’s available? I need something to distract your dad from time to time because I’ve no intention of playing second fiddle to a pig, no matter how much meat is on it.”

Beth smiled a huge smile and replied, “I’m not sure I’m old enough to be telt that kind of thing, Mum! But yeah, a girls’ day out with my mum would be really good.”

“Hmph. You may be small and have issues, my girl, but don’t try to play little Miss innocent with me, not that is if you intend to spend as much time with your brothers as you have been doing. Come on, you can help me prepare tonight’s meal. I’m at work at four to mix up a batch of sausage, but I’ll be back at six and I want it ready to cook to eat for seven. If you’re a girl you help at the female stuff like it or not and refuse to do some of the male stuff and it doesn’t matter whether they like it or not. Ok?”

“What exactly is female stuff? And what is male stuff? Mum.”

“As one female to another I’ll tell you the truth, Beth. I’m no feminist, and in this household it purely depends on whether it’s something I want to do or not.” Beatrix and Beth broke into laughter and Beatrix resumed, “Seriously, Love. It does vary. I’ll gut fish at work, but I’ll be damned before I’ll gut anything your dad and the boys bring home. In return I’ll deal with the kitchen and mend their clothes, but the boys and your dad fetch the wood and the coal from the store. You need to remember all successful partnerships, whether marriage or business, are based on a fair distribution of effort which does not mean either party does half of anything. I suppose you and I are not that different in a way, Love. Neither of us have any desire to even try to be a second class male when with no effort on our part at all we already are first class females, because, as I’m sure you already know, that comes from between your ears not your legs.”

Beth nodded and said, “Yeah, I’ve known that for years, Mum, and I get what you said about women’s and men’s work. So what are we eating, Mum?”

“I’m not exactly sure, but I’ve been given a fair sized fish called a keld, which looks like cod to me, so I thought I’d try for fish, chips(2) and peas. We need to fillet the fish, which is big enough to fill even the ravenous gullets of the menfolk, shell the peas and peel and chip the potatoes, waxroots they’re called here. If we leave the chips covered in water they’ll be fine and won’t go brown. We can make the batter for the fish when we need it. I’ll borrow a large kettle of fat from work to cook the chips in. I’d appreciate it if you could organise delivery of some wood for the stove this afternoon sometime. I’ll cook enough for all of us and I don’t doubt even if some of the boys eat elsewhere there’ll be nothing left over.”

It was a happy mother and daughter who spent the early afternoon together preparing their eve meal whilst talking of clothes and the vagaries of men.

As they had both expected Jackdaw was interested in Beth’s revelations, but only because he was interested in all his children. He was typically Folk in his acceptance of persons as they were, and Beth came to realise he really didn’t understand how it could be a problem to any, for son or daughter Beth was one of his children, and he loved his children, all of his children. In his words, “Loving your children and aiding them to grow to be the adults they will to be is the whole purpose of parenthood and it can be difficult from time to time, but most of the time it’s overwhelmingly rewarding.” However, he did have one practical suggestion which none else had considered, “You need a chamber of your own, Beth. I’ll see the Master at arms office for you first thing nextday. There must be an appropriate chamber nearby. I’ll ask about the one currently uest as a store by the chamberers that’s three down the walkway.”

Later that night when they were readying for bed, Beatrix asked him, “I should have thought of the chamber, Love. What maekt you think of it?”

Jackdaw’s reply was incisive and very different from the casual way he had accepted Beth’s revelations. “Life is not going to be easy for her, and she will need the privacy. No girl of that age would find it easy sharing a chamber with her brothers. Beth will find it even less easy. It’s obvious she is eventually going to live as a woman, and having her own chamber will make what is possibly going to be a difficult transition easier, and may hap enable her to make it sooner. From my point of view the sooner the better. Then she can settle down and come to terms with her new self without the stress of having to live what she perceives to be a lie. It is a pity she was not birtht here. Then she would have had no transition to make, but grown up as herself without the fear and torment that drove her to mutilate her fingers. It’s a cruel place whence you came, Love. However, for me she is the perfect daughter. She’s pretty, clever, she enjoys the way of life I and her brothers do, the boys say she’s a skillt salmon fisher and I quote ‘wickt(3) good’ with a knife, but best of all she loves me and you don’t seem to have a problem with a daughter which I know worryt you.”

Beatrix had been nodding as Jackdaw spake, “You’re right, Love, and she’s a joy to me. I don’t know why I worried regarding girls, but I’m sure I’m going to have a lot of fun with her. I’m really glad the boys look after her, for a girl like her needs not just the support of her parents but the kind of love and care that only those of her own age can provide too.”

Jackdaw smiled and said, “It’ll be a brave and witless member of the flaught indeed who offers her insult with her brothers in the background. Chris telt me, ‘It’s really good having a sister to love and look after, Dad, and don’t worry we’ll offer private counselling to any who give her a hard time. Beth sayt we’re just looking for a fight, but Wayland explaint just because we would enjoy a fight didn’t mean we would cause one.’ They are good boys and I consider coming to Castle has improven their lifes as much as they have improven mine.”

“You’re a very perceptive man, Jackdaw, and have improved my life considerably too. I think I was rather fortunate marrying you.”

“Nonsense, Love. I just love my wife and children and try to look after them all to the best of my ability. Now, spaeking of looking after?”

Though obviously she didn’t know it that was the night Beatrix conceived Joanne.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00008050

PRICKLY AND DIFFICULT

EVE FIONA (14) AND FERGAL (14) TELL HIS PARENTS

5th of Chent Day 8

Four days since, after braekfast on Quarterday, when Fergal telt Wayland of Fiona, Wayland had shrugged his shoulders and said with a slow smile, “So now we have another sister in arms too. If I were you, for her sake, I’d make sure she meets the rest of us as soon as possible, so she becomes used to the idea you’ve a load of brothers some of who can be a bit difficult. If you tell me when you plan on doing it I’ll make sure I’m there to help, but it may be a good idea to introduce Fiona to Beth before the boys if possible.”

Later Fergal and Fiona had come across Jed at the Gather. Introductions had been maekt and they parted. Fiona had liekt Jed, but had said, “Jed didn’t look very happy, Fergal.”

“He’s difficult to get to know. He’s a bit of a loner and doesn’t say much. He’s good with animals, much better than he is with folk. One of the hob ferrets is dangerous. George reckons it’s been left unhandled too long, lost its trust of folk and reverted to being wild. He says it attacks not because it’s savage but because it’s frightened of us when we invade its personal space. He was going to turn it loose till he realised Jed has no problems with it. If any of the rest of us put a hand in its cage it attacks and would probably take our fingers off, but it happily takes meat from between Jed’s fingers and enjoys him petting it. It’s becoming less defensive though the rest of us still leave it to Jed. George is having a much bigger pen with toys in made for all the ferrets so they can enjoy playing together. He wants a hollow tree and an aurochs skull for them to chase each other through. He says they’re sociable animals that prefer to curl up to sleep together to keep warm and keeping them in small individual cages is cruel. Liam reckons the only explanation is Jed secretly talks ferret, and he’s named it Jedidiah which I’m sure you can see is funny for reasons no folkborn person would understand. I don’t think Jed’s life was too good before coming here, and I suspect only Wayland really understands him. Wayland spends a quite a bit of time talking to him.”

“Why Wayland, Fergal?”

“Wayland is unbelievably clever, and though George is the squad leader it’s Wayland who has the ideas that hold us together. He calls us ‘Brothers in arms’ and says the Way defines the squad as siblings because we all say so. He says we have all adopted each other as siblings. He grew up in an orphanage and has a view of life we all find helpful when things are not too good. He’s frightened of nothing and takes no shit from any one because he knows what’s right and what’s wrong and says if he dies fighting for his beliefs he’ll be happy to go with a clean conscience no matter how much blood is on his hands. When there was an issue between Freddy and Marcy on our first day here he was prepared to battle Freddy who is twice his size. He cut Freddy down to size in a couple of sentences, and Freddy knew he was right and immediately apologised. You’ll maybe understand when you meet him, but probably not because the rest of us don’t understand him, but you’ll like him. He truly is an amazing person, and we’re lucky to have him as a brother.”

Fergal had taken Fiona to the kennels to introduce his brothers and Beth to her the following day before lunch. To his surprise Fiona had liekt all of his siblings. She’d had no idea Wayland had kissed her in front of them and said, “I think having another sister is excellent,” in order to shew his brothers what he expected of them. All the squad had followed his example by kissing her with obvious happith too. They were always happy when they knew what was expected of them. It was uncertainty and the attendant risk of making fools of themselfs which maekt them prickly and difficult. Wayland understood them, and his leading by example maekt their lifes a lot easier.

Liam later telt the others, “She’s that big girl I was talking to in the Refectory queue yesterday. I didn’t have to bend down to talk to her. She thinks it’s a pain in the arse being big too. She’s all right.” Since Liam was seven feet tall his remark was understandable, and his saying Fiona was ‘all right’(4) went a long way to ease their acceptance of her as a sister. Wayland’s acceptance of her was intellectual, but Liam’s was because after chatting with her he liekt her, and that for most of them was something they understood rather than accepted.

That Beth had said, “I like Fiona. I reckon what you see is what you get.(5) She’s friendly and is truly in love with Fergal,” had helped the boys too.

Not long after their adoption Wayland had telt Fergal, “You’d better tell Mum about Fiona soon, or she’ll be really pissed off with you.”

It was another two days before Fergal telt Beatrix of Fiona. He left it till after the eve meal when his brothers were busy. She had hugged him before kissing him and saying, “I wanted boys because I thought I should get on with them better. I hadn’t considered something like Marcy becoming Beth, but I love having a daughter too, and I never considered most boys eventually grow up and marry girls, and then I should have even more daughters. I can’t wait to meet Fiona. Bring her for dinner as soon as possible.” Now knowing none of her children did anything significant without running it past Wayland first she looked calculatingly at Fergal and asked, “What did Wayland say?”

Fergal laught, “He told me now we all had another sister in arms too, and I’d better tell you soon, or you’d be really pissed off with me.”

Beatrix laught with him and said, “That little bugger is so sharp he’ll cut himself one day if he’s not careful.” She hugged him again and said, “Congratulations, Fergal. Your dad will delighted, so tell him as soon as possible.”

“He’s goen down to the huntsman’s to ready his equipment to go out nextday, Mum. I’ll go down and tell him now, but I wanted to tell you first.”

Beatrix kissed him again and said, “Thank you, Love, but go and tell your dad.”

He found Jackdaw who, as predicted, was delighted and said, “No doubt your mum has already telt you what to do, so I’ll stay out of trouble and leave it to her. Congratulations, Son. I’ve nearly finisht here, so give me ten minutes, and let’s go home for supper. You can suit yourself, but I’m going to have a brandy to celebrate, and I’d like it much if you joint me.”

He hugged his son who said, “Can’t say as I’ve ever been particularly fond of it, Dad, but most of the boys enjoy a glass and it’s growing on me. I’ll join you, Mum and the others too. After all it is something rather important to me. I haven’t told Mum yet, but I suppose I should have done, we are trying for a family and want to marry as soon as it is possible.”

Jackdaw shook his head in utter disbelief and telt his son, “That was a very flaught thing to have not doen, Son. If you are trying for a babe, wish agreement, and you wish to stay out of trouble with your mum you need to tell her as soon as possible. I hate to consider how unpleasant she would make your life if she findt out from any other than you or Fiona. Tell her thiseve.”

Fergal thought concerning his dad’s remarks and said, “You’re right, Dad. I really don’t want her angry with me for lunes.”

“Lunes? Forget lunes, it would be the rest of her life, Son.”

The pair of them laught, and Fergal said, “I’ll tell her thiseve, Dad.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00008060

IT WOULDN’T BE ALLOWED HERE

FORENOON JADE (17)

5th of Chent Day 8

After Stonechat had examined her she said to Jade, “My sorrow, my dear. I doetn’t realise you had had a babe before, and had come here leaving your babe behind.”

“How did you know that?” Jade asked.

“From examining you. A woman who has had a babe is not the same as one who has not,” Stonechat replied patiently.

“I didn’t know that,” said Jade slowly thinking over what she had just been telt before asking fearfully, “What are you going to do with my baby?”

“I don’t understand what you mean,” replied Stonechat. “Why should I be doing aught with your babe?”

It taekt Stonechat a long time and many subsequent questions to make sense out of Jade’s question and her subsequent statements, but it appeared they, and Jade didn’t know who they were but she was frightened of them, had taken her daughter away and given her away to a couple who wished a child but who couldn’t have children. They had telt her they were going to take her son away too as soon as he was birtht, and furthermore they were going to do the same with any children she had in the future. Stonechat just accepted the scans had telt Jade she was to have a son. Jade didn’t understand why this had happened, but believed it was because she wasn’t clever. Stonechat could scarcely conceive the concept, but Jade was incapable of telling her aught but the truth. Jade’s limited mental faculties, Stonechat knew, were telling her as much of the truth as she could understand, and her understanding of even that portion of it would be poor. She managed to convince Jade it wouldn’t happen here and to reassure her the feared they couldn’t come and take her child on Castle. Jade was finally convinced when Stonechat telt her, “It wouldn’t be allowt here.” Jade placed great faith in what was and wasn’t allowed, and she then asked Stonechat how long it would be before her son arrived.

“Somewhere between two and three lunes.”

“How long is that?” Jade asked.

“Between sixty and ninety days,” Stonechat then replied, thinking that would make it easier for Jade to understand, but Jade couldn’t really appreciate numbers above twenty.

“Is that a long time?” Jade eventually asked her.

Stonechat replied without hesitation, “Yes, that’s a long time.”

Jade accepted that and asked, “I’m not good at knitting yet, shall I have time to make some clothes for my little boy before he’s born?”

“Yes, and we’ve some too. He will have enough,” Stonechat reassured her.

Jade was happy when she left and said she was going to do a little more of her knitting. Stonechat’s thoughts after Jade had left were troubled. That Jade needed a man with a family who would support her was obvious, and her limited intellectual abilities wouldn’t be a problem to the Folk. With the support of a family she would be able to be a good mother and wife. She would soon find a craft. There were things aplenty to be done Jade would be able to do. Stonechat thought for Jade it wasn’t that she hadn’t joined the Folk. She had never joined Earth either. She had done what she had been telt and had never had much understanding of what was going on berount her.

Stonechat decided she would have a message conveyed to the Master at arms office as soon as possible which probably meant with Zoë and Torrent when they went back to the Keep. On their books they would have a number of men with extended families seeking a wife who would be delighted to marry Jade. She doubted Jade would be with them at the holding for long. Stonechat’s other line of thought was more insubstantial and concerned the way Earth appeared to deal with its problems. She concluded the much dreaded they dealt with things in such a way as to create a short term solution, but it eventually left them with much bigger problems than the one they had started with. That Jade on her own was incapable of being a mother, or possibly even of looking after herself she had no doubt. But to give her babe away only eroded what little self esteem, and hence ability, she did have. They would then have to keep taking away her subsequent children. That Jade would keep producing children Stonechat did not doubt. Jade’s body’s urges would force her to do so.

Stonechat also realised from her readings of the archives there would always be men who would take advantage of her by promising her aught and every thing to bed her, and having done so would have no further interest in her. They would have fathered her children and been long gone before even she was aware she was pregnant. That the solution was obvious didn’t seem to occur to them. Jade needed a stable family who would have a care to her, a man who would love and support her and a craft which was within her capabilities. She would then be able to manage her life, would contribute to her society and not create annual problems with her pregnancies till she could no longer have children. What Stonechat could not appreciate was for Earth it was the existence of persons like Jade that was the problem, not her children.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00008070

I WILL RESPECT THE WAY

EARLY EVE I AM NOT GOING TO WAIVE ANY OF MY RIGHTS

5th of Chent Day 8

The squad had finished at the kennels and were leaving to eat. They were planning to spend a couple of hours at the butts(6) after eating and were feeling pleased with themselfs after having had a good day. As they were leaving a tall, attractive looking, middle aged woman with long golden hair and arresting green eyes came up to them and said, “I am Beauty of the Master at arms office, and I seek Jed.”

Jed stepped towards her and said, “I’m Jed. How can I help you, Beauty?”

“I’d like spaech with you in private please. I’m only asking for a few minutes of your time.”

Jed turned to the others, who were looking puzzled and worried, for there was no saying what Jed may have done if he’d been provoked, and he had little tolerance for those who thought goading some one was fun, and said, “I’ll catch up with you. Save me a seat. I’m starving.” The others somewhat reluctantly left.

“We can have spaech here if you like, Jed?”

“Ok.”

“We are aware of the situation mongst you, your heartfriend, Warbler, and her cousin Otday. We have nothing to say concerning that, for it is your privilege, right and obligation to protect Warbler. I am here in an official capacity as an attestatrix to inform you that Otday is currently under the protection of the healers, and till they declare him firm and hale neither you nor any of your close kin may under The Way touch him in any way. You may not be aware of it, being newfolk, but there are severe penalties should you so do. Once he is declaert firm and hale he no longer has their protection and you and your close kin are free to deal with the matter as you see fit providing it complies with The Way.” Beauty looked questioningly at Jed.

“I will respect The Way, as will my family, but I am not waiving any of my rights, and that is all I have to say concerning the matter.”

Beauty was disappointed that Jed had given no clues as to his intentions, but she had not expected him to, for the squad already had a reputation for being close mouthed. “Gratitude for your time, Jed.” As Jed walked away she wondered why Otday’s family were so concerned regards Jed, for he was surely no threat to one as large as Otday, but then again the squad’s reputation was that they were dangerous, and Otday would be no match for the thirteen of them.

When Jed reached the Refectory, Wayland asked him, “What was that about, Jed?”

“Nothing,” Jed tersely replied. “It’s ok. I’m not in any trouble, Wayland.” Wayland indicated silently to the others the matter should be allowed to drop for the while.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00009010

COWARDICE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE

LOVE MAKING IS NOT WASTING TIME YET

6th of Chent Day 9

Mast awoke and roused Veronica saying, “It must be nigh to four, yet I wish to be on the trail as soon as possible, Love. You know I don’t regard making love as wasting time, yet naytheless we have not time to spend on our desires, for, as I telt you lastday, thisday shall seem to be two and both exceeding full of stress.”

Veronica nodded in understanding and said, “I’ll share out the duck, and we can eat ours on the waggon. Let us make preparations to go with all haste.” She smiled and added, “You can work on making me pregnant when we truly have the time to enjoy ourselves.”

Silverherb was up and braeking camp too. Veronica gave her her share of the duck, and after ‘Till next time and travel safely’ was said the waggons departed in different directions. Veronica and Mast reached Abyss View at half to ten, off loaded a quarter of the grain, had hot, substantial, game and wild roots soup with a chunk of bread torn from a rough, dark, crusty, rye loaf courtesy of the foresters and rearranged the poles, the horses and their tack in preparation for the descent into the Long Valley. The three and a half hour descent was the most exhilarating and terrifying experience of Veronica’s life, with a few thousand feet of mountain on the left hand side of the narrow, steep and rocky trail and a few thousand feet of nothing on it’s right. “How often have you done this, Mast?”

“A dozen, may hap a dozen and a half times. Why?”

“Does it not bother you?”

“Yes. Every time. To be aflait is acceptable, but if you allow your flait(7) to determine what you do, or do not do, the Way says that is cowardice and that is not acceptable behaviour for a true member of the Folk. However, despite the effort for the team, it is much easier going the other way and nowhere near as flaitsome.”

Veronica thought deeply of what Mast had said, and came to the conclusion the codes the Folk lived by were harder to live by but infinitely more real than anything she had come across on Earth. They off loaded the remaining grain at the Long Valley cabins that day. As he had said they arrived at Gentle View in time for the eve meal. They had both been so wrought by the descent that they went to bed exhausted, and sleep overcame them before they had thoughts of aught else.

It was three days later when they met Mistress waggoner Raven with her teenage sons, Fid and Tyelt. They had lunch together, and Sledge’s plough horses were on their way home when they continued on their journeys.

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete
7 Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastaire, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift
72 Gareth, Willow, Ivy, David, Kæna,Chive, Hyssop, Birch, Lucinda, Camomile, Meredith, Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, Murre, Iola, Milligan, Yarrow, Flagstaff, Swansdown, Tenor, Morgan, Yinjærik, Silvia, Harmaish, Billie, Jo, Stacey, Juniper
73 The Growers, The Reluctants, Miriam, Roger, Lauren, Dermot, Lindsay, Scott, Will, Chris, Plume, Stacey, Juniper
74 Warbler, Jed, Veronica, Campion, Mast, Lucinda, Cormorant, Camomile, Yellowstone
75 Katheen, Raymnd, Niall, Bluebe, Sophie, Hazel, Ivy, Shadow, Allison, Amber, Judith, Storm Alwydd, Matthew, Beatrix, Jackdaw, The Squad, Elders, Jennt, Bronze, Maeve, Wain, Monique, Piddock, Melissa, Roebuck, Aaron, Carley Jade, Zoë, Vikki, Bekka, Mint, Torrent
76 Gimlet, Leech,Gwendoline, Georgina, Quail. Birchbark, Hemlock, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Hannah, Aaron, Torrent, Zoë, Bekka, Vikki, Jade, Carley, Chough, Anvil, Clematis, Stonechat, Peace, Xanders, Gosellyn, Yew, Thomas, Campion, Will, Iris, Gareth
77 Zoë, Torrent, Chough, Stonechat, Veronica, Mast, Sledge, Cloudberry, Aconite, Cygnet, Smokt
78 Jed, Warbler, Luval, Glaze, Seriousth, Blackdyke, Happith, Camilla
79 Torrent, Zoë, Stonechat, Clematis, Aaron, Maeve, Gina, Bracken, Gosellyn, Paene, Veronica, Mast, Fracha, Squid, Silverherb
80 George/Gage, Niall, Alwydd, Marcy/Beth, Freddy/Bittern, Wayland, Chris, Manic/Glen, Guy, Liam, Jed, Fergal, Sharky

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Doet, did. Pronounced dote.
Doetn’t, didn’t. Pronounced dough + ent.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Loes, lost.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.

1 Camo, camouflage.
2 Wickt, wicked. Not a Folk word, but becoming one and here used with a Folk adjectival form in a quotation.
3 All right, an English vernacular version of plumb in Folk meaning someone who is approved of.
4 What you see is what you get, in this context referring to a person. A vernacular expression indicating an open person, one who presents their real self to others. It is an expression of approval indicating one with nothing devious that is hidden.
5 Flait, fright or fear.

up
28 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Amazing story

Christina H's picture

This is a totally amazing and once you are into it absorbing story!
The Way seems to be a perfect form of Communism with strict rules and defined punishments
the fevers are a way of maintaining the population to a manageable level and I wonder if the
introduction of immunisation will alter the balance?
Thank you for sharing this wonderful story.

Christina

er

Maddy Bell's picture

wtf is telt?


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Telt?

Past tense of "tell" -- told.

Eric