Castle The Series - 0019 Accidents, Emotion, Lichen

Printer-friendly version

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00001650

ACCIDENTS HAPPEN ALL THE TIME

EARLY EVE BEFORE THE COUNCIL MEETING

This takes us up to the end of the first day of the 568 incursion.

Word Usage Key is at the end

28th of Towin Day 1

When Will had returned to the Master at arms offices with Thomas he sought Pilot whom he found looking at some archives of previous incursions. “Findt(1) aught useful, Pilot?”

“Naught we don’t already know. Most will become good Folk, but a few are dangerous and need killing. The vext(2) question is who? You had any thoughts on how to eliminate the bad ones without putting any else unnecessarily at risk, Will?”

“Not yet. We need to find Yew and discuss the matter. I suspect he’ll be in the Council Chamber going over the notes maekt(3) thisday(4) on the incomers. Too, I wish to know how we are going to handle the difficult incomers before I go to the meeting thiseve,(5) though if I’m not askt(6) I shan’t volunteer aught.”

Pilot nodded his agreement and said, “It’s a pity Thomas wouldn’t let you kill the other five, but still, accidents happen all the time don’t they?”

The men smiled bleakly at each other, and Will replied, “All too frequently, Pilot, and after all, I can always apologise to Thomas afterwards.”

The pair of them still smiling went to the Council Chamber where they found Yew with a few of the junior Master at arms staff who were updating the record books from piles of loose pieces of paper. The three of them left and found a warm small chamber where they wouldn’t be disturbed or overheard. They all knew what they were there to discuss, and after throwing some more wood on the fire Will started by saying abruptly, “I don’t care what Thomas says, Yew, if any of those five offer any provocation at all from now on they’re dead men even if I have to kill them all myself.”

Pilot and Yew, who already knew and approven of what Will’s views on the matter would be without having to be telt,(7) agreed with him, and Will continued, “The twenty who stayt(8) behind after Thomas’ address, I’ve had given chambers together in the outer tower overlooking the Little Arder bridge. There are eight squads of experiencet(9) hunters and trackers acting as guardians there with instructions to kill all twenty if need be. The last thing the healers need the now is to be sewing together scum we don’t need any hap. Any have else to add?”

Pilot asked, “What do we do regarding craft placements before we’ve winnowt(10) them out? If you bethink yourself they are that dangerous, Will, it’s may hap better to be safe and kill them all now, unless we can place them where they can’t do any harm. The archives don’t have any suggestions I could find, so if we do find any solutions they need to be tightly(11) recordet(12) for whoever has to deal with future incursions.”

Yew hesitated a little before responding to Pilot, “I agree with Thomas in principle, Dad, but only if the risk is acceptable, so we need them a long way from the Keep and any vulnerable folk. Some of the grower holdings are far enough away, but there are children and elders there. Ships would be good, but we don’t have enough to take all of them safely.”

Will added, “Some of the remoter mine and forestry camps would be good too, and all three crafts have crafters strong enough to permanently deal with any problems, but if we will to so do we’ll need to have spaech with them as betimes as possible. A lot of their crafters are here for Quarterday, but they’ll probably return early on the second. I bethink me it certain we shall lose some of those men, but we may find a few good folk mongst them. I’ll see what I can learn of them, and try to separate any real scum, so they are isolaett(13) and can’t help each other.”

Pilot asked, “Is that decidet(14) then? We place any problems with ship, mine and forestry crews. Or are there any other options open to us?” Pilot, Yew and Will thought awhile, but eventually agreed those three crafts represented the only solution, short of killing the men out of hand.

Yew asked, “You need aught I can help with, Will?”

“Naught occurs to me for the now, but I’ll keep having spaech with Pilot and you as necessary. I’ll tell senior crafters from the three crafts to keep them apart and with minimal access to aught dangerous once they leave the Keep. I shall keep Gale fully informt,(15) you never know she may bethink herself of something, but other than that I suggest we keep our own counsel.” Yew and Pilot knew if necessary Gale could step into Will’s shoes, and if aught, she was even more sanguinary than he. Will was making sure in the improbable event of aught happening to himself the Folk would be protected. “I’ll also see if Gosellyn has aught to add.”

“Gosellyn? Why Gosellyn, Will?” Pilot asked.

“Because she may have addicts she wishes out of the way awhile, but I’ll have them all away from the Keep in a few days at most. I’ll make sure I have the right crafters in the right places who know I will be very unhappy if I have to resolve any problems they should have dealt with. Whilst times, if either of you have any good ideas let me know.”

The three men concluded their meeting happier because they had the beginnings of a plan to deal with those who were a threat to the most vulnerable members of the Folk.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00001700

EMOTIONAL OVERLOAD

EARLY EVE GEORGE (12)

28th of Towin

George had spent the entire afternoon with Mari and Ford who insisted he came back with them to their chambers to eat and chat. George had had the best day of his young life so far, and it had been difficult to accept what he enjoyed was respected here and could be what he spent the rest of his life doing. The three of them then decided to eat in the Refectory because George had never been there and wished to see it. Mari explained the roast they were eating was mammoth provided by huntsmen using crossbows. They spake of the wide ranging activities of the huntsmen and the different crafts available to apprentices. Ford asked George, “Do you know what you would like to do as an adult craft, George?”

“I want to be a hunter,” was his very positive reply.

Mari explained he was a little young as yet for apprenticeship to the huntsmen as a hunter. Seeing the bitterly disappointed expression on his face she continued, “But there are many other useful and interesting things you could be doing and learning with us whilst times, George. Why don’t we go home and discuss the options open to you over a mug of leaf?” They returned to Mari and Ford’s chambers, and their conversation covered a wide range of topics all concerning what George could be doing till he was old enough to apprentice as a hunter. Despite all the topics they covered George was emphatic he wished to hunt with dogs and ferrets, and as the conversation developed it was clear to the two adults George was very knowledgeable of and experienced with the animals he was determined to work with.

Eventually after a couple of hours Ford said “I bethink me, George, it would be best for us and for you if you craftet(16) with the dogs, ferrets and birds. It’s what you will, and Milligan, the Keep Head cook, has been concernt(17) awhile of the loss of food to vermin in the food stores. If you could do something to reduce that you would make Will, the Master huntsman, and Milligan very happy men, and you would have the gratitude of the Council.” George was overjoyed and was having difficulties keeping his emotions under control. The strain on his emotional resources was to prove too much as Ford’s offer unfolded.

“Thresher the old kennel Master retiren(18) five lunes over with heart problems. None has taken the position on tightly,(19) and the dogs and ferrets are indeed as you sayt(20) in need of exercise and work. I had some spaech with Will after Linden, our administrator, telt us of you, George. We are willing to try you in the craft, and if it suits all of us, after say a lune, the placement’s yours permanently. I can probably find you a bit of help, but not much to start with. If you are successful then I’ll be able to find you more.”

Ford didn’t wish to say George had to establish himself in the rôle before he would be taken seriously because of his age, or that Will had left it to his discretion as to whether to offer George the placement or no. “The placement involves the cleaning and looking after of the kennels and the mews, the exercising and feeding of the dogs, ferrets and birds and, in addition of course, working them. Do you wish it?” The emotional over load was too much for this street-wise twelve, nearly thirteen year old, and he sat there sobbing with the joy of it which hurt him more than anything he had ever experienced before.

At his distress, Mari instantly had her arms berount him, that was a first for him too, and if anything hurt even more. “Exactly how old are you, George?” she asked him.

“Nearly thirteen,” George managed to choke out.

Mari was at a loss to know how to approach what she wished to say, so Ford taekt(21) over, “I telt you of what I spake to the Master huntsman of, but why bethink you Mari came with me?”

“I don’t know,” sniffed George. “Why?”

“We’ve findt a craft for you haven’t we? But even at thirteen, which is a scant ten of our years, you still need a family. We’ve never had any children and been trying to find children to adopt for a number of years now. We were going to make another Quarterday appearance till we hearet(22) of the children from the incursion, and then Linden telt us of Larch’s note concerning you. So how do you feel regards having us as a mum and dad?”

It was clear to Mari and Ford the answer was yes, but George had had too much. His brain refused to function, and his body wasn’t much better. Ford carried him to a bed, and Mari tucked him in and kissed his forehead, “It’s been a hard day, Son, we’ll have more spaech nextday.”(23)

Mari and Ford left George’s chamber and went back into their living space. Ford went for a pair of glasses, and grinning at his wife who was looking tearfully happy, poured them both a very large brandy. They were a tough couple who spent a lot of time living under canvas as part of their craft, and they had found a son much after their own hearts and were feeling exceedingly pleased with themselfs.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00001750

FIXING THE NUMBERS

EARLY EVE - COUNCIL MEETING - TITUS (1T) AND KNOLL (1L)

28th of Towin Day 1

As Gosellyn walked down the Keep walkway to the eve meal and Council meeting she felt a profound sense of gloom. Despite two meetings with the nine pregnant young women, she had maekt no progress with any of them. She’d been telt of Thomas’ and Will’s experience too, which didn’t make her feel any better. She knew she would have to meet them again, this time individually, but she wasn’t hopeful. That all thirteen of the older pregnant women had been placed was good, but it didn’t lighten her sense of failure.

She reflected on the tale related to her earlier by Margæt, Mistress midwife, who had telt her of Cerise’s stillbirtht(1) babe, birtht(2) earlier by Cwm and Vervain her apprentice. Cwm was a specialist healer, a chirurgeon, rather than a midwife and had been brought in as a desperation measure to cut in for the babe. Margæt hadn’t mentioned whether the babe had been birtht dead, or whether Agrimony the midwife in charge had compassionately eased its passing. All knew the midwifes(3) had the means to do this, but the matter wasn’t widely discussed out of respect for the midwifes’ pain resulting from this, the most difficult requirement of their craft. A stillbirth was always a cause of sadth,(4) but the babe had been terribly malformed and its sex indeterminable. Cerise had lost three others before full term, and this one had been a hard birthing,5 she had been close to deadth(6) herself, and the midwifes had removed the babe before she recovered from the herbs and could see it. She was progressing well and would recover from the cutting and stitching fully.

Agrimony had advised Filbert Cerise had nearly dien,(7) and it would be safer for her to take the herbs and not to try for another pregnancy. He had been desperately afraid for his wife and agreed knowing the herbals had preparations to prevent pregnancy which many women uest, but said, “She is desperate for children, Mistress, and I doubt if I shall be able to persuade her to agree.”Agrimony had suggested to Filbert, whilst there was still opportunity, he should persuade Cerise to adopt a pair of children from the incursion. “If she is nursing a babe it will help her recover from the loss, and she won’t have the time to overgrief(8) on it. We shall bring her one to nurse as soon as she awakes any hap,” she had explained.

“Bring two,” Filbert had said, “twins run in her family, and I will make sure she accepts them.” He had looked at Agrimony with moist eyes and explained, “I will do aught so as not to risk losing her, and if I have to bully her into accepting the babes I will.”

“Of course you shall, and if necessary I will too but let’s hope we won’t have to.” The situation hadn’t ended so ill, according to Agrimony. Cerise had been happy to accept the two little boys. Titus was half a lune old or so and Knoll possibly a lune older. With a suitable arrangement of pillows, Cerise had managed to nurse both babes together, and the sadth was receding. But any deadth was a sad one.

Gosellyn met Gareth, deputy Master at arms and her man’s father, at a junction of two corridors. She had always liekt(32) Gareth even before she married Pike, who was her second man. Gareth was a fair, intelligent and cheerful man who always tried to see the best in any situation. As she put her arm through his, she telt him of the young women and Cerise’s babe and asked, “Have you any good news, Father, that will cheer me up?”

Gareth’s face nearly split with a grin. “Indeed I have. It seems Duncan was so smitten with that Helen of yours he’d askt her to marry him, and they had reacht(33) agreement before the crèche. He’s installt(34) her in his chambers and is walking berount like a dog with two tails to wag.”

Both of them were helpless at the idea of the oh-so-staid Duncan ensnared in the toils of love. Wiping the tears from her eyes she said, “At least some thing’s going right,” before collapsing into gales of laughter again.

Both still subject to bouts of laughter, they walked into the Council Chamber just before six, Yew caught her eye and said, “We’re eating first, Gosellyn. Most of us have been awake too long, we’re tiren,(35) hungry and beginning to think poorly. There’s a full dinner ordert(36) for quarter to seven, so you’ve time for a shower or what ever is going to do you the most good. No need for dinner dress, wear what ever you feel comfortable in. My sorrow, but it may be a long session. Aaron will be joining us after dinner as usual.”

“Mercy for that!” Gosellyn said. “I’m for a shower, a nap and some fresh clothes,” and with that she left.

By a quarter to seven, the entire Council, except Aaron, along with numerous other folk who had played significant roles in the events of the last twenty hours were sitting down to eat. They were all tired but refreshed, and their awaerth(37) that most of the incomers had joined the Folk buoyed them with optimism. They were also aware of what they considered to be the tragedy of the nine pregnant young women, but they knew Gosellyn wasn’t giving up on them, so there was still hope. There wasn’t a lot of conversation during the superb meal. This dinner wasn’t a social occasion, it was fuel for what all considered would be the arduous, but necessary task that was to come after it.

By half to eight, the kitcheners were clearing away the last of the meal, and Yew said, “If any would like brandy to finish with it’s over there with glasses,” he was pointing towards a press near the door. “I bethink me I’ll give it a miss this once and stay awake in its stead.” Yew’s fondth(38) for brandy was proverbial, but all must have agreed with him because none moved or even looked that way, but it was noticed even though sunset was still four hours away the casements were icing over.

“The cooks are sending spicet(39) leaf in a few minutes,” Yew announced. “So let’s start. Thomas?”

“Any particular order in mind, Yew?” Thomas enquired.

“No,” Yew responded, “but, if as usual Gareth’s making the records and chairing the meeting, I suggest we leave it to him to set the order. If that’s acceptable to you, Thomas? Gareth?”

“I don’t mind,” replied Gareth, as Thomas nodded in agreement. “Let me check a few facts first if you don’t mind,” said Gareth. “Two hundred and eighty-six incomers, yes?” Gosellyn confirmed that, and Gareth continued, “We loes(40) none, yes?”

Will coughed and with no expression in his voice at all said, “Not quite, Gareth. Angélique’s knife slipt(41) in its sheath and unfortunately it slid right in between the ribs and through the heart of an incomer. That’s how it happent(42) isn’t it, Thomas?”

Thomas in equally wooden tones replied, “I seeën(43) it all, most regrettable, and Will was most firm with Angélique for having poorly maintaint(44) equipment. Most firm. That right, Will?”

“Absolutely,” said Will, in corroboration, still expressionless.

“Come on, tell the tale and stop behaving like a pair of overgrown boys. You can’t expect to keep a tale that good to yourselfs,(45) what really happent?” Yew demanded. From the two, much to the amusement of the others, Yew finally managed to extract the tale. “A pointet(46) lesson in politth,(47) that’s good, that’s very good. I hope you’re rewarding Angélique?”

“Already dealt with, Yew,” replied Will.

“Good. Good. My sorrow for the interruption, Gareth, carry on.”

“No. No, Yew. No apology due. I’d never have managt(48) to have that out of them, and it was necessary for the Council to hear all the details wasn’t it?” Gareth grinned at Will and Thomas and the amused Council and continued, “Twenty-one elders, sixteen men and five women, yes?”

“That’s correct,” Gosellyn replied. “Gilla says all except one are able to contribute, and they will to. The other, a woman, will probably need some care permanently though she seems to have improven(49) a little over the day. They’re somewhat worryt(50) concerning placements, but they’ll make good Folk. I haven’t telt them that of course, but I have no doubts of them, even if they only mind toddlers they’ll be an asset. There are a few incomers who are old enough to be with the elders, but remaint(51) with the others. I suspect out of pride.”

“Babes, twelve?” Gareth continued.

“Yes. Twelve, all hale,” Mistress healer Iris responded. “We’ve four of them adoptet,(52) two with nursing mothers who left babes behind and two with Cerise and Filbert, her babe was stillbirtht(53) early this forenoon. Molly is organising the nursing of and care to the babes, and the way events are happening she’ll be doing most of the nursing too.”

The Council, though saddened by the news of Cerise, couldn’t help but laugh at the remark concerning Molly. Molly’s abilities, even when not pregnant, would no doubt one day become the stuff of legend, they were already the subject of one of Xera’s songs. Her husband, Briar, had joked for years she should have been a dairy crafter rather than a baker, and her brother Laurence who was a dairy Master had said the dairy crafters would pay a long price to know what prevented her milk from drying when she was neither pregnant nor nursing, for she’d been constantly in milk since halfway through her first pregnancy at the age of fifteen, twenty-seven years since.

“Children, fifty-six after the day light sweep, or are my numbers no longer accurate?” asked Gareth.

“That’s correct,” replied Gosellyn, “we taekt fourty-seven(54) straightforth to the Keep at first contact, and a further nine after daylight on the second sweep. You know of Rosy and the four sisters don’t you? No more children placet(55) yet as far as we are aware.” Her face went grave, “A significant number of the children are malnourisht,(56) have ingraint(57) dirt in their skin and clearly never had any care to them. Some of them have seen terrible treatment.

“One of the girls sayt she’s ten, but she looks like six at most due to starvation, and has human bites, burns, deep bruising and damage on every part of her body, and not just externally. Another, much younger, again covert(58) with deep bruising, hasn’t sayt a word yet, and she should be spaeking.(59) We are doing the best we can, but she just sits there. She doesn’t rock. She doesn’t cry. She just sits there. She won’t lie down. She doesn’t sleep. She doesn’t eat. She swallows if we hold a mug to her mouth and pour it in. We’re putting extra nourishment in the clear soup, but it makes you weep.” She recovered herself and said, “Fifty-six yes that’s correct.”

Iris added, more to reassure Gosellyn than the others, “The records tell us all damagt(60) children become firm(61) and hale on Castle, some just take a little longer than others, and we can already see progress.”

Gareth smiled at her and continued, “Mothers to be, twenty-two yes?”

“I only know of thirteen,” Iris said. “All hale, all helpful and all now newfolk. Twelve we’re accommodating and shall arrange placement meetings for betimes, and the thirteenth is placet in the crèche and has abscondet(62) with him,” Iris was pointing at Duncan, who was looking sheepish, proud, but sheepish, amidst the good natured laughter. They all knew the tale, but after Gosellyn’s revelations of the children it was good news. “As for the other nine, I have had no dealings there.”

“The nine are still at the camp. They are all less than twenty of their years, that’s less than sixteen of ours, and one is only eleven of our years. They say they will no part of us,” reported Gosellyn, “I’ve not given up, but I hold out no hopes they will join the Folk.” The story was known, but none wished to consider the implications.

“I suggest you may have to make it clear to them what the situation is concerning the leisure craft,” added Plume. Plume was a good-looking woman of fifty-five who crafted as a Mistress of leisure.(63) Perceptive and intelligent she had as a result been a much valuet(64) member of the Council from the almost unprecedentedly young age of twenty-nine. “Our craft archives tell us a number of incomers seem to believe they can achieve placement by practising the craft outside the conventions and without healer clearances. It comes as a shock to them when they find no craft to practise due to a lack of custom. There were several such I believe in the last incursion, and a number of them endet(65) being taken by Castle. I shall find the relevant craft archives if any would like to read them?”

Gosellyn replied, “I should be grateful if you would find them for me, Plume. I am sure Campion would appreciate reading them as well as myself.” Campion, who was not technically a Councillor but always attended Council meetings and like the Councillors had her own chair with her name carved into its back, nodded in agreement. Unlike Gosellyn, who was a healer, Campion was a member of the Master at arms office, but like Gosellyn, she was sometimes referred to as a behaviourist, and the two women oft worked together.

Gareth passed over the eighteen potential deadths,(66) the young women and their unbirtht,(67) quickly and continued, “Women one hundred and eleven. I know from within our office that’s correct, and also they have all joint the Folk except the nine young pregnant women Gosellyn is concernt(68) of. Men, eighty-six, again information from within the office. Seventy-nine have joint the Folk leaving six who have not.”

“There are five still at the camp with a reinforcen(69) squad to make sure they do no harm to the women,” said Will. “The sixth Angélique dealt with, and I givn(70) orders he be left where the other five could see him as a reminder of what could happen. Concerning the camp, Thomas willen(71) it strikt,(72) leaving just enough for the five men and the nine women to manage on. I have Thorn and Geoffrey down there now supervising the process. They didn’t will to, so soon after it had all been put up, but once they understandt(73) it was being done to press the remaining incursionists to either join the Folk or die they were in full accord. They’re going to move the tents and shelters to the Gather site and erect them early.”

The huntsman’s blunt spaech(74) oft caused distress, and many looked for Aaron to remonstrate. Aaron, who had entered the Council Chamber unnoticed by any a few minutes before and had yet to take his seat, responded immediately, “Friend Will’s blunt way of expressing the situation may be distressing to many, but he has the situation in a tellin.(75) If they don’t join the Folk they will die with or without his help or indeed any’s.(76) Let us hope they see sense and join us. As we all know, it is the best thing for us as well as for them, and let not friend Will’s blunt words make you bethink yourselfs he does not will that too.” Taking a sip of his spiced leaf Aaron sat down and let the Council mull over his words, it taekt a minute or so, but he could see they had arrived at the truth of it.

“We have what we bethink ourselfs(77) are a marryt(78) couple who do not spaek(79) aught we can understand,” Campion said. “Beauty was sure they will to join the Folk as they tried to be helpful, so she sent them to the Keep. We know their names to be Llyllabette and Yoomarrianna and I shall have all the incomers askt if they know where the names come from and if they spaek aught other than their English. If so we’ll try to have spaech with the couple via a translator. If not we’ll try pictures and aught else we can bethink ourselfs of.”

There was discussion concerning how to craft place the incomers which lasted a long time, but came to few definite conclusions. It was now gone half eleven, and to his surprise Yew realised they had covered as much as they were going to. They were all tired, and nextday could be left to bring its own problems. He wished his bed, and no doubt the others felt the same. “It would seem we are near enough finisht,”(80) Yew declared, “so unless any feels there is aught else that has to be dealt with thisnight(81), I propose we close the meeting and go to bed. Aught?” Yew could see in response many were yawning, so he concluded with, “I am not setting a day or time for the next meeting, I suspect it will be nextday, but in any event I shall have you informt nearer the time. If any feels we need to meet urgently I suggest—” he braekt off. “Thomas, whom do you will to coordinate this? Gareth?”

“Yes. Is that acceptable, Gareth?” Thomas asked.

“Yes, that’s sensible,” said Gareth.

“Inform Gareth then,” said Yew, “and my gratitude to all for an exhausting day, tightly(82) handelt,(83) and I’ll wish you all goodnight and a good night’s sleep. This meeting is now cloest.”(84) With little more conversation other than yawns the meeting braekt(85) up and most went straight to bed.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00001800

THE HEALERS

MID - LATE EVE - THE LICHEN PREPARATION

28th of Towin Day1

By mideve the swelling of and the suppuration from João’s leg had both lessened, and his leg had regained some of its normal colour, but Mistress healer Cwm and Vervain, her apprentice, still had all ready in preparation for an emergency amputation.

It was just before midnight when Cwm, Master healer Pim, Master healer Rook and Master herbal Falcon went to examine João. “How has he been, Hare?” Pim asked his apprentice, who had been watching João and was sponging his sweating and fevered forehead.

Hare, who was a shy young man of seventeen, replied, “It beseems(86) me the fever is a little lessent.(87) He doesn’t seem to be as hot and has not been thrashing berount(88) for nearly an hour. His mouth is dry, but he is swallowing the clear herbal broth when I have given him a spoonful to moisten his mouth. As instructt(89) in between the doses of herbal broth I have given him coolt(90) boilt(91) water which he has taken.

Rook unlaced and removed the splint to facilitate their examination. João was not aware of their touch due to the herbs which had reduced his pain to the point of unconsciousth.(92) “Hare is right,” Pim remarked. “He is not as hot, the swelling is down a little. See how the skin is not as tight. The suppuration is not as extensive and is draining away more readily because the more relaxt(93) muscle is allowing it to.”

Falcon gently felt the tightth(94) of João’s leg, which resulted in the leg twitching and thought for a moment before saying, “The herbs are without doubt working for which I am glad. I shall continue to have the lichen preparation administert(95) for another two days. The preparation is powerful, but if uest(96) for too long inevitably causes heart problems which can kill. João is fortunate he is a strong young man. I shall have the dosage reducet(97) nextday eve, and again the eve after. If the swelling is still excessive there are other preparations that can then be uest. Rook, what of the bones?”

The four agreed the herbs had started to work, and after a careful examination that seemed to flex João’s leg a little Rook said, “It is too early to detect bone healing, but the braeken(98) ends are in perfect alignment and provided Falcon can bring the infection under control he will have full use of the leg once the bones have knitt(99) together.” He paused and then added, “In mayhap four lunes providet(100) he does what he is telt.” As Rook laced up the splint again, Cwm smiled relieved she no longer anticipated having to take a young man’s leg off.

~o~O~o~
~o~O~o~

That takes us to the end of day one of the incursion, and nextday is another day.

Notes on Word Usage

1 Findt, found.
2 Vext, vexed. In this context difficult or problematic. Also irritated or angry.
3 Maekt, made.
4 Thisday, today.
5 Thiseve, this evening.
6 Askt,asked.
7 Telt, told.
8 Stayt, stayed.
9 Experiencet, experienced.
10 Winnowt, winnowed.
11 Tightly, can mean soundly, properly, well or effectively depending on the context.
12 Recordet, recorded, documented.
13 Isolaett, isolated.
14 Decidet, decided.
15 Informt, informed.
16 Craftet, crafted.
17 Concernt, concerned.
18 Retiren, retired.
19 Tightly, can mean soundly, properly, well or effectively depending on the context.
20 Sayt, said.
21 Taekt, took.
22 Hearet, heard.
23 Nextday, tomorrow.
24 Stillbirtht, stillborn.
25 Birtht, usually born or given birth to, but in this context delivered as by a midwife.
26 Midwifes, midwives.
27 Sadth, sadness.
28 Birthing, delivery.
29 Deadth, death.
30 Dien, died.
31 Overgrief, a euphemism used by healers for becoming depressed.
32 Liekt, liked.
33 Reacht, reached.
34 Installt, installed.
35 Tiren, tired.
36 Ordert, ordered.
37 Awaerth, awareness.
38 Fondth, fondness.
39 Spicet, spiced.
40 Loes, lost.
41 Slipt, slipped.
42 Happent, happened.
43 Seeën, saw.
44 Maintaint, maintained.
45 Yourselfs, yourselves.
46 Pointet, pointed.
47 Politth, politeness.
48 Managt, managed.
49 Improven, improved.
50 Worryt, worried.
51 Remaint, remained.
52 Adoptet, adopted.
53 Stillbirtht, stillborn.
54 Fourty-seven, forty-seven.
55 Placet, placed.
56 Malnourisht, malnourished.
57 Ingraint, ingrained.
58 Covert, covered.
59 Spaeking, speaking.
60 Damagt, damaged.
61 Firm, in this usage of sound body, antonym of infirm.
62 Abscondet, absconded.
63 Mistress or Master of leisure, one who provides sexual services. A craft regarded no differently from any other on Castle.
64 Valuet, valued.
65 Endet, ended.
66 Deadths, deaths.
67 Unbirtht, unborn.
68 Concernt, concerned.
69 Reinforcen, reinforced.
70 Givn, gave.
71 Willen, willed as in desired or wished.
72 Strikt, struck.
73 Understandt, understood.
74 Spaech, speech.
75 Tellin, a small tasty, often pink coloured, marine bivalve. In a tellin is equivalent to in a nutshell.
76 Any’s, any one’s or any body’s.
77 Ourselfs, ourselves.
78 Marryt, married.
79 Spaek, speak.
80 Finisht, finished.
81 Thisnight, tonight.
82 Tightly, can mean soundly, properly, well or effectively depending on the context.
83 Handelt, handled.
84 Cloest, closed.
85 Braekt, broke.
86 Beseems. Beseem is used in two ways in Folk. The first is to be appropriate or befitting, and the second, as here, to have seemed to be or to have appeared to be.
87 Lessent, lessened.
88 Berount, around or about.
89 Instructt, instructed.
90 Coolt, cooled.
91 Boilt, boiled.
92 Unconsciousth, unconsciousness.
93 Relaxt, relaxed.
94 Tightth, tightness.
95 Administert, administered.
96 Uest, used.
97 Reducet, reduced.
98 Braeken, broken.
99 Knitt, knitted.
100 Providet, provided.

up
30 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos