Castle The Series - 0098 Turner, Otday, Havern

Printer-friendly version

Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically. There is now an appendix of Folk words and language and one of places, food, animals, plants and minerals too. Both follow the story chapters.

The brackets after a character e.g. CLAIRE (4 nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.) There is a list of chapters and their significant characters at the bottom too.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00095010

THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE BETTER

STABLE THEM WITH DAD TURNER AND OTDAY

4th of Stert Day 95

Otday’s bowmanship had improved, his arrows were a little better as a result of Turner’s advice and he was learning waggon crafting. He was not the most natural of apprentices, but he was a long way from being hopeless, for he was finally learning how to learn. Turner and Otday had regularly discussed their problems with life, oft after making love. They’d discussed his obsession with Warbler and its consequences, and he came to realise he had never had a care to her, not even as a cousine. Like his bullying it derived from his poor opinion of himself which came out of his idelth and knowledge he was not overly bright, which combination resulted in a desire to control her and others too. His fragile world had shattered when his father had had enough of his flaughtth(1) and Jed had stood up to him. Now he knew he did not become better by pulling those who were better down to his level. He had come to terms with Warbler being cleverer and in possession of more skills than he, Jed being braver and harder than he, and both of them having far more friends than he, for he knew he had none. Even Turner could out think and out fight him. It was a difficult time for him, yet Turner understood the pain his reëvaluation of his existence caused him and eventually said whilst they were on the move, “No matter who you are, Otday, there is always one who is better at some thing, and there will be some thing you will be that better one, may hap even the best.”

“I can’t see that ever being true, Turner. What am I ever going to be the best at?”

“You’re the only one whom I allow to bed me aren’t you? The only one I will to bed. You’re the best at being my lover. You have natural gifts, not just size. You have some skill, are acquiring more, but of most import you care that I enjoy our bedding as much as you. It would never have occurt to me to make love sitting on your lap whilst driving, and I’ve never reacht my peak as oft or had them as high as on that bumpy stretch of trail. That was gloriously creative, and I’d like to do it again when ever the trail and weather are appropriate. You know that my blood running hotter than that of most folk means I have a greater need of bedding and it has to be good bedding. I can’t help it, but you are only the second man I have ever met able to provide for all my needs, and the other was half a century my elder and dien a quarter century since. I need no other man than you and I will no other man than you. As long as we are together I shall bed none other than you. That you have no competition as my lover is irrelevant, for do you want any?”

“No I don’t. I don’t want this to ever change. My life isn’t perfect, but it’s better than it’s ever been, and you have my gratitude. I know my life is going to continue improving. I willen not to be on the waggon with you to start with. I only left the Keep because I was aflait(2) of Jed and his brothers. I hatet him because he was all I wisht to be: clever and hard. He had a craft and I hearet even the savage ferrets at the kennels are gentle to him. He has eleven brothers and a sister, and they chose to adopt each other just sincely(3) and are already closer than I am to my blood sister whom I have known all her life and maekt despise me. Warbler’s love for Jed shines in her eyes, and it sickent and enraegt me. Dad was right, despite his age Jed is a man. I doubt not he would have killt me if he’d wisht me dead. He had the right, but was decent and generous. I can accept that now. I know I can’t be like him, and I no longer wish to be, for I couldn’t live with what he must have had to do to become himself and survive. I would have dien, for I’m not that hard, and I don’t wish to be.

“I just wish I knoewn(4) what I willen to be like. I’ve wastet my boyhood, for when I should have been considering manhood, thinking of crafts and seeking a real heartfriend to care to I was building a fantasy I sinken so deeply into that to protect the girl he loves yet leave me quick(5) eventually I forcen Jed to torture me, yet he was man enough to let me live. I know it was my fault, and I am aflait of the future. On the waggon, as I learnt to do things, and I don’t particularly mean bedding, but simple ordinary things like lighting the fire, killing and preparing my first coney and driving the team, things I could and should have learnt to do years over, I enjoyt feeling better regards being me, but still I willen to be away from the Keep rather than to be on the waggon. Now I have a care to you and I will to be with you where ever that be, and being away from the Keep doesn’t matter any more. I’m sure Jed won’t care any more either. I’m certain he only doet it to make me so aflait I left and couldn’t hurt Warbler, for he truly loves her, and I never doet. I know that now because I love you, and I understand the difference between my love for you and the obsession I had for Warbler. My love for you revolves berount you, yet my obsession for Warbler revolvt berount me, not her.”

“Tell me, Otday. What does your love for me desire from me? If you could have whatever you willen from me what would it be?”

“Agreement, and to always be with you. I know you doetn’t like me to begin with, which is not surprising for I doetn’t like me either, but bethink you you could ever come to like me enough to consider it?”

“If you will agreement you have it, so now not only are you mine in a way that transcends the instrument of apprenticeship,(6) but I am yours too. I like you enough now, and will come to love you betimes. I suspect I already do, for I’ve decidet not to bother with the herbs any more if you are willing. If you are I will probably be pregnant betimes.” She looked questioningly at Otday who smiled and nodded his agreement. “Though I know of none of the changt other than myself who have had an agreän, nor of any who became a mother I’ve wisht a babe for some while. I’ve never seekt an agreän since Havern dien, but a babe should have two parents, and sharing the life I enjoy with you as my man will be pleasant. As for your flait concerning your future, consider what you have that is good and that which you will have betimes that will be better. You are my agreän and will be a father betimes. You are also an apprentice waggoner, and betimes will become a Master waggoner. Waggoning is an honourable craft of high status which remunerates us well.

“So you have recovert the time you loes when you should have been seeking a craft and a heartfriend. You are a reasonable hunter and trapper and are becoming better. I don’t understand why and how the furs you prepare are so much better than mine, but they are as good as any I’ve ever toucht, and that makes them worth a considerable sum. Your strongth and speed are better than those of most and are becoming better all the while with the muscle training. As far as I’m aware none not birtht changt has ever been traint in the ways of the changt before. I’m sure it hasn’t occurt to any that one can learn to become changt, but it certainly seems to be happening to you, for you are stronger and faster than most and your senses are becoming more acute by the day. You are also thinking deeper and faster and your memory is much improven. You are sleeping less, and I’ve notet your eyes open at night. Whether it is possible for any none can know. May hap it is only possible to learn for those who bed one of the changt of opposite sex regularly, for we have a great want of good and regular bedding, or our abilities suffer, and though one of the same sex will do it is but a short term measure. I suggest for as long as possible we keep your changing to ourselfs.

“You know you could not be like Jed for decent reasons, which is not to say he is not decent, for we are all different. Many things become of less import with time, and Folk forget. You will make friends on the trail, and eventually as a man at the Keep too, for many who are well respectet crafters as adults were flaught and froward as children. All waggoners know they are at least kith and in many ways relatet as kin too, so you already have friends and family of the craft in spite of never having met many of them. I doubt Jed will say aught concerning that night. He has no reason to, for you are away from Warbler, and when we return for the winter you will be no threat to him, for you will have an agreän who will probably be obviously pregnant. Other than Jed and yourself none were there that night, and only I have seen the results of what he doet and none else will ever know of that. Jed is too intelligent to spaek of what would be perceivt to be malicious gossip and thus harm his status. If any do spaek of it look incredulous and shake with laughter at the flaught things some folk are prepaert to believe, for if you can laugh at it the idea soon becomes laughable, and in any event we’ll only spend may hap four lunes a year at the Keep and probably that won’t be at the Keep itself but at Outgangside or Dockside. Mayhap with time we’ll find a permanent home with one of the holder clans. Geoffrey has sayt for years one day the waggoners will have their own holding in a more central and convenient location than the Keep.

“Regards your family, your parents love you and will be glad to see you with a wife, a craft and even more so with a grandchild for them. Smile will not continue thinking of a difficult brother who no longer exists when her older brother is a decent man, and doubtless becoming an auntie will become uppermost in her thinkings. It’s how girls are, for the babes of others provide them with opportunity to learn the craft of motherhood. Kiss her and give her your sorrow. Do it quickly and never refer to it again, don’t embarrass her any more. You will not be living with your parents but in our chambers, so your life will become better with time, as will mine. Spaeking of chambers, I usually take a single chamber or a small suite with no kitchen in an isolaett part of the Keep, but we shall need more space and a kitchen for three of us, so you could be considering where to live. We could live in the Keep and have the team stabelt with Gudrun, or try Outgangside, and stable the team with Dad. I’d prefer Outgangside.” It was the first time Turner had referred to Eorl as Dad and Otday reached for his wife and kissed her. From their subsequent behaviour, it would not have been obvious to any else which of the two were the elder.

Otday taekt Turner’s suggestion and had written to his mother. He wrote brief notes of his activities twice a tenner and passed them to any waggoner going in the direction of the Keep. He learnt waggoners didn’t charge each other for the service and was pleased when he heard the other waggoners’ angry reactions to the poor reception one of their own had received at Tarse holding and Turner having been charged a usurious rate for his keep. Their outrage over his treatment had been greater than that over Tarse’s parsimony regards deducting tokens for his keep. Turner only had to tell two teams of waggoners, Veronica with Mast and Bernice with Anbar, who crafted with their six children, and all they met after that had heard of the incident and some telt them the circumstances had been put to Geoffrey at the Keep to adjudicate and his ajudgement would betimes be disseminated to all.

Anbar telt Otday, “I only startet waggoning when I had agreement with Bernice some ten tears over. She’d not long finisht her appreticeship, yet we decidet it was sensible that we buyt our own waggon and team, but we had considerable debt and not much work till we establisht ourselfs, so we took all that we were offert. We had a considerable quantity of mixt goods, mostly from various commodity crafters, to deliver to Tarse holding. I saw a child, a young girl of may hap eight, carrying a ridiculously over heavy burden of firewood for the house. She dropt a stick and Tarse struck her head so hard she lost consciousth for ten minutes. He’s a bad man. We’ve never been back.” Anbar looked angry at his recollection. Otday looked at Anbar who had two of his children on his knees at the time. Anbar was a huge man with a very dark twinkling eyes and an ever darker complexion, who clearly was a good father.

Bernice added, “What Anbar doetn’t tell you was he was so enragt he knockt Tarse to the ground and beat him nigh to deadth with the stick the girl dropt which was an oaken branch, a span thick and three feet long. He should have finisht what he startet. Tarse has that limp because the braeken leg Anbar givn him was never sett tightly. The women took the girl inside and we, leaving Tarse bleeding where he lay, turnt the team without unloading and selt the goods elsewhere. Tarse has maekt it a bad place, Otday.” Bernice turned to Turner and said, “I was always surpriest you would deal with him, Turner, but I suggest you stay away from there. Tarse is just not worth the trouble.”

Later that day out of no where Otday said to Turner, “If I had to choose someone to chastise Tarse for abusing a child Anbar would be just perfect.”

“If it happent again, Otday, Tarse would not survive the experience.”

Turner and Otday had met up with Silverherb and were taking an early lunch together before continuing their separate ways. “Geoffrey has decreen Tarse shall be chargt an extra eight parts to the hundred, Turner, for dishonourable dealing and an extra two for shamefully treating Otday who is an apprentice to the craft in good standing. In addition a further two parts shall be chargt till we have recovert his fifty-six hours heavy crafting splitting their firewood at standard foresters’ rates and the worth of his coney, both meat and pelt at average Keep kitchen’s and seamstress furriers’ prices. Geoffrey sayt Tarse pays on a current accounting basis from now till further notice, or he does his own waggoning. He has decreen that none of the craft shall extend him any credit whatsoever. When waggoners who have dealt with Tarse present their logs to Sagon’s office for reconciliation of accounts, Sagon’s crafters will record Otday’s tokens in an account Geoffrey has had opent on his behalf. Geoffrey has arrangt with the Master at arms office for an attestor with protection to inform all at the holding that in the event of Tarse’s deadth only Otday’s tokens shall have to be repayt, for the other extra charges only apply to Tarse himself and no others at the holding.

“The guild will pay for the attestor and guard under the terms of the protection of members section of our founding charter. Geoffrey sayt that it was stretching the charter somewhat, so he consultet with all waggoners at the Keep including those retiren and apprentices too and there was unanimous agreement it was a tight and fair use of guild members’ fees. Geoffrey had the Master at arms office write up the circumstances as an attachment to the charter. One of Geoffrey’s teams is to take the attestatrix and her guard to Tarse and back to the Keep when the next load goes that way. All has been discusst with and agreen by the Master at arms office.” Silverherb added, “All the waggoners I have had spaech with since leaving the Keep consider Geoffrey’s ajudgement to be an acceptable and appropriate response, though many considert it over generous. It is the general opinion of many, not just those of our craft, that Castle will reclaim Tarse betimes and it is long over due.”

Otday was puzzled by the respect Geoffrey was held in and the way the waggoners seemed to defer to him and asked, “Why was Geoffrey and not the Master at arms askt to adjudicate when the waggoners are not a clan and all are deemt independent traders who subscribe to the guild? Geoffrey is not the waggon Master, for the craft is not thus organiest, and there is no such a placement.”(7)

“It is true what you say, Otday,” Silverherb responded, “but Geoffrey is a clever and clear thinker who favours none in his deliberations. He is greatly trustet and there was a need for one of us to sit in ajudgement. It had to be a waggoner for none would have placet faith in the adjudgement of one who was not a waggoner for such could not appreciate what life is like on the trail. It is doubtful any other than Geoffrey would have considert seeking the opinions of all the waggon crafters at the Keep regardless of rank, but having doen so all the waggoners not at the Keep I have heard of consider that he had doen the best that any could under the circumstances and considert, despite the cost all would incur, that he had actet impartially in the best interests of all. There had to be a timely adjugement for whilst Tarse cheatet you and Turner it could have been any of us and doubtless had he been allowt to deal with you and Turner thus with impunity he would have doen it again with others. As a result of the nature of his trading, Geoffrey needs to spend most of his time at the Keep, and his sons and crafters perform most of the concern’s work on the trail, so he was in the right place at the right time. That he seekt and acquiert approval of his adjudgement from the Master at arms, who as always seekt Aaron’s opinion on such an unusual matter, maekt the adjudgement as consenual as possible with as close to the force a Quarterday adjudgement would give as could be achievt. You were right there is no waggon Master but, since he is the most respectet and thus considert to be the most senior of us, were there to be such it would be Geoffrey. On a different matter I have a letter from your mum for you.”

Otday was overjoyed when Silverherb gave him his first reply from his mum which telt him little other than of her love for him. He passed the letter to Turner to read and she wisely hugged him and asked for no more than kisses from him thatnight.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00096010

TURNER’S CHILDHOOD

THE EFFECTS OF TURNER’S MENARCHE

5th of Stert Day 96

Turner had finally become confident enough to discuss her childhood with Otday. They’d been on the trail with two days before the next holding when Otday had asked, “What was your childhood like, Turner? I know it was difficult, but were you born changt?”

“I suspect so. Most consider the changing to take place when we are enwombt, but my early childhood was much as those of others. I’d never known who my father was. My mother was a Mistress of leisure and the herbs had failt her. She was not overbright nor well organiest, so may hap she forgett to take them. From her ill remembert dates my father could have been any of the handfuls of men she remembert having had dealings with and any of the dozens she couldn’t. She dien suddenly when I was eight, which was when my life startet to become difficult. My speed and strongth were beginning to be noticet at that time, and I’d had a number of fights forcet on me by bigger children whom I had inexplicably, even to me, badly hurt. I had few relatives and of those I had none willen me anywhere near them, for fighting was not approven of, yet they had to comply with the Way, so I was passt berount from one to the next for a year or so.”

“But you never startet any of those fights doet you? For I know that would not be in your nature?”

“Yes. I never startet any, but that doetn’t make any difference. I soon realiest I should never be well come with any of them, so I avoidet them all sleeping in the Greathall, or any where else I was likely to be overlookt but able to stay warm. There were folk, many folk, who were genuinely concernt for my weäl,(8) but at that age I couldn’t distinguish between genuine concern and the forcet obligation to comply with the Way that I was familiar with from my kin, and the firekeepers were the only folk I considert to be kind to me. Hence, I was regardet as odd and some children startet to refer to me as a freak. I became withdrawn and reclusive because it was regardet by some of the immature unintelligent flaught as entertaining to torment me to make me lose my temper, for I’d froth at the mouth, my eyes would roll as if looking inside my head, I’d rave and babble gibberish, words that maekt almost sense, and finally lose consciousth.”

“What happenent to you after a fit? Surely they doetn’t just leave you?”

“The healers would be informt and I would have recovert by the following day, after spending some time in the infirmary. I never telt any what bringt the fits on. I don’t know why, pride may hap. My lunetimes startet at the age of eight and with them came a massive increase in my speed and strongth that was only realiest, even by myself, when a group of bort and older children decidet to track me down and bait me for entertainment. That time, in the stead of cowering in a corner with my arms raist protectively over my head and face, I decidet to fight, to fight all eight of them. Unusually I doetn’t follow the path that taekt me to a fit. I later realiest the fits were a thing of the past and my menarche and subsequent lunetimes had given me the control that had protectet me from them. The incident had been observt by numerous folk, and I was seen to have killt the ringleader, who out weighen me by a factor of two or more, with a single blow to her chest, which I’d crusht with a blow too fast for the eye to follow. My other tormentors had fleen.”

“Was that when you realiest that you were one of the changt?”

“I knoewn I was different, but that was when folk telt me, tauntet is a better choice of word, that I was one of the changt, one of the freaks. It was also when the Council realiest I was not just one of the changt but possibly the most changt of the changt. There was sufficient impartial testimony for the Mistress at arms to deem me guiltless and the chiefest of my tormentors was adjudgt to have been killt by her own flaughtth. Once it was known to all, not just the Council, that I was one of the ones Castle had changt children and a lot of adults too startet to avoid me. None of any intellect or consideration thought ill of me, for they believt, and many telt me, there was a reason for the changing that would one day aid the Folk, probably in fell times, but many regardet the changt with deep distrust and dislike.”

“How old were you when you killt the girl, Turner?”

“May hap three, no more than four lunes over eight.”

“How did killing someone make you feel?”

Turner looked at Otday as if deciding what to say before continuing, “I’ve never telt any this before, Otday, but I felt no remorse or regret, and I still don’t, for it was a lune before the bruises she had given me before I retaliatet disappeart and I was in pain for a tenner. I had never seekt trouble nor a fight and I considert the Folk to be better for her deadth. Such as she are defective and deadth is the only cure.”

Otday nodded in agreement, and felt better for realising that though he had been a bully he had never forced a fight on any. He realised that was because he’d been a coward too, but still he felt better for not having done so. “Given my past, I am reluctant to comment, but it is good that you feel no guilt.”

Turner smiled and continued, “My menarche had done other things to me too. I had an inexplicable compulsion to maintain my muscle tone and avoid carrying surplus weighth and was hence driven to Keep running. I findt out some time later that we are all thus. Despite acquiring a womanly shape, I was nowhere near as well-hipt nor -breastet as the women of my family had always been. Too, I had a complete knowledge of the entire Keep from having had to run and hide to avoid the unfriendly, and it was believt on the rare occasions I wasn’t first it was because I’d been distractet by some thing or event and had abandont the run, which was usually true. The Master at arms staff had on a number of occasions spent hours seeking me thinking I was hurt in some remote part of the Keep unable to move or summon aid. Eventually I realiest the trouble I had put them to and always reportet to them whether I had finisht or no. It was when I apologiest to them that I realiest that the Master at arms staff were different from most and caert to my weäl.”(8)

“How big were you then, Turner?”

“I was small. I only reacht my full growth at well past fourteen, may hap nigh to sixteen. It was pure chance when I discovert how to exercise motionlessly by simultaneously tensing opposing muscles. I telt other changt ones regards it and it maekt life safer for many of us. After that I stopt Keep running, so as to avoid the unpleasant taunts and frequent pushes that always seemt to result in pain. I was initially driven to distraction by my libidinous desires that came not long after my menarche because I knew what it was I had a want of, I was after all the daughter of a Mistress of leisure, and had watcht my mother and others crafting many a time. However, even using my fingers to caress my by then more sensitive cloak and its even more responsive bud not even my woman’s friend(9) could satisfy my burning, throbbing, demanding softth.

“I was small, and the Mistresses of leisure wouldn’t accept me as a craft member, and any hap I doetn’t possess the tokens requiert for membership to their craft. Ivy supportet me arguing my mother’s membership should be passt on, for it was not unknown in the case of orphans to thus waive the fee. Ivy had addet should that not be considert appropriate she would be happy to pay the craft’s fee on my behalf, but the craft did not will a small, nine year old, known killer as a member for fear it would damage trade, so I had to resort to sex with drinkns,(10) and desperate older boys with too little personalty to be heartfrienden, or in the final resort myself and my ironwood friend. Too, from time to time I findt the odd widower, victims to circumstance and driven by their needs, but they were all decent men who were ashaemt of what they had done afterwards. It was my lack of size,” Turner reflected, “for a big girl of my age with needs would have had no problem finding a widowert older agreän, for they wouldn’t feel guilty.”

“Have you been so driven ever since?”

“Yes, but as I refert to a moment since I’d discovert there were others like myself, not many, but a hundred or so was better than none, and I was aware there were many more of lesser extent of change who wouldn’t admit it for fear of reprisals. I met Swegn who is four years older than I. Castle had not changt him as much as she had changt me, and he was neither as strong nor as driven as myself, but after a night of sex with him the aching torment was kept at bay for a tenner or so, and I count him as a good friend: kith. We have always liekt each other, but we have always known we could never be together, and it was the same with all the others, women and men alike. Over time those like myself had introducet me to many more, though most were secretive and only others who were changt knoewn of them. I’ve had sex with many of them, women and men both, and it was mutual relief for which we were grateful, but all of us realiest that two like us could not survive each other in close company for over long. However, now I have you and it looks as if life will be better since my thinking is no longer dominatet by consideration of where I can next find some relief.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00097010

TURNER AND HAVERN

OTDAY LEARNS OF HAVERN’S IRONWOOD

6th of Stert Day 97

Late that night, after several hours of particularly violent and satisfying sex, Turner telt Otday of Havern and laid many of the ghosts of her past to rest. In listening and understanding, Otday had repaid his debt to her, a wonder to them both. He considered himself fortunate to find one whose need requited his own which set him free of crippling obligation, and she considered herself similarly fortunate for similar reasons.

“I was ten when I met Havern who was a sixty-two year old waggoner who’d been widowert for many years. I’d been having a worse time of life than was usual for over a lune and was sick of the Keep, weary of my tormentors and tiren of life too when I found him sleeping off the drink in the brewery stables’ hay store in the mid-forenoon. I was desperate, my softth had been throbbing with aching want for days, and I was wondering if I could coax enough life into the flacid but sizeable manhood I was holding to give myself some relief.”

“ ‘Easy, Little Girl,’ Havern had said as I awakent him with my two handet attempt to put some vigour into him. ‘If you bring me to the end I’ll enjoy it, but at my age and drinkn as I am that’ll be all for the day. I’ve got to ask you why, for surely you can do better than a drinkn old sot of a waggoner like me?’ ”

“I telt him, ‘I’m different from most girls. Why should your age and liking for a glass make you unacceptable? I have needs and I like a glass too, but boys don’t like me. They’re aflait of me. And most men are too shaemt to bed me, for no matter what I tell them they see it as vaucht(11) due to my lack of size.’ It seemt Havern had heard of my like and possibly even of me.”

“ ‘I’m Havern. Would you be Turner by any hap?’ he askt.”

“Surpriest I replied, ‘Yes. How doet you know?’ ”

“He laught and sayt, ‘Young and pretty with bedding needs boys and men are aflait to meet and who enjoys a glass. How much does a man with even a poor brain like mine need to know? You doet right killing that youngster. She should a bin(12) drownt at birth, and the others too. Would a bin when I was a boy. Folk have goen soft. Spaeking of which, I’ll try to satisfy your softth’s needs now if you insist, but if you’ll wait a few hours I’ll do better for you. Your decision, Pretty One.’ ”

“His willingth to meet my needs had pusht back my urgency, so I decidet to take his advice and wait. He taekt me to lunch with him in the Refectory midst many stares of reproval.”

“Out staring many an embarrasst starer, he telt me, ‘Ignore the flaught,(13) for they think with a limp, Pretty One. They live by the Way and spaek much of their virtue when it’s easy and costs them little, but when it comes to the hard times of caltth(14) and hunger when the Way is all that separates a person from a beast they don’t like it much, and you hear little bragging of their virtue then. They all like me when I lead a load of food in, but two days later, when I’m stinking drinkn and my head isn’t too good, I’m just a piece of rubbish they can’t wait to see back on my waggon heading out over the moat to any where. Ignore them, Pretty One. Enjoy your meal. You will me this afternoon? Or can I get clean and wash the stink off first?’ ”

“I liekt this brutally honest, old reprobate who saw the entirety of existence in a tellin,(15) probably I considert focusst through the lens of the bottom of a glass, and I could understand why he was as much an outsider as I. That he didn’t seem to care intriguet me, and so I askt, ‘You enough tokens to feed me at Ivy’s thiseve?’ ”

“ ‘Naturally.’ he replied before saying in explanation, ‘I just delivert a load, and my account with Sagon will be overflowing. Why?’ ”

“ ‘Willing to spend some on a bed chamber at the Swan for us?’ I askt.”

“ ‘Yes. Why?’ he replied looking me in the eyes with a questioning smile.”

“I telt him, ‘If you’re willing, I’m willing to find out just what you can do when clean, fedd and with some privacy. In a bed chamber at the Swan we’d have all night to find out in considerable comfort wouldn’t we?’ ”

“Havern grinned and sayt, ‘I may be old, Little Girl, but one of the advantages of that is you do learn a bit on the way. One of the things I’ve learnt is that the giving and taking of pleasure is like driving a team. It’s far better to pace yourself and only reach a gallop when you can see the stable and smell the oats. Right now I’m weighen(16) down with tokens, but an other thing age teaches you is that tokens are worthless. They’re only a way to obtain what really matters. Ultimately you’re dead, and some other will spend your tokens like water because not having had to craft for them they are easy to waste. I’ll be nowhere for the next two, three lunes where there’ll be aught I have a need or even a wish of to spend them on, and you are offering me some thing I’ll enjoy and remember with joy too, so I’m happy to squander the lot on you till I leave nextdaynigh, for by the time I’m back where I can spend any I’ll be weighen down with yet an other load of them.’ ”

“We’d finished lunch when Havern asked me, ‘You still hiding from the flaught?’ ”

“ ‘Mostly. Why?’ I replyt.”

“ ‘Just some thing for you to consider,’ he sayt. ‘If you will to leave them behind you, it’s no extra effort for the team to pull a small thing like you too. Any terms you like, Little Girl. Bedding when ever you will or no. Tell the customers you’re my granddaughter, my craft partner, my agreän, what ever you will, or don’t tell them aught. When I hearet how the bigots had trett you when you doet the Folk a service by killing that waste of winter food I was going to ask you then.’ ”

“ ‘Why doetn’t you?’ I askt.”

“Havern was completely unabashed when he replied, ‘I got drinkn and forgett. By the time I was sober enough to remember I was days away.’ ”

“I had to laugh and suggestet, ‘Let’s take that bath together, Old Man, I’m stinking too.’ ”

“He sniffed with a lecherous look on his face that wasn’t quite genuine, which maekt me laugh, and sayt, ‘I noticet, but don’t wash it all off, Pretty One, not if you wish me to be at my best.’ ”

“Still laughing I offert him reassurance as false as his lechery and sayt, ‘Don’t worry, Old Man, there’s plenty more where that came from.’ ”

“We collectet some clean clothes for Havern from his waggon, lookt in on his team and goent to the seamstresses for clean clothes for me. On our way out Havern sayt, ‘I see what you mean, Pretty One. They only look at me like that when I’m drinkn, stinking or both. How do you live with it?’ ”

“ ‘Not well. I’ve never telt any this before, but it hurts.’ I hesitatet before asking, ‘If the offer’s still there I’d like to leave with you.’ ”

“ ‘It’s still there, and for what it’s worth I consider that was a sensible decision no matter where it takes you. You need to be away from the flaught for time enough in which to discover who and what you are.’ Havern was perceptive, and his obvious concern regards and care to me maekt me feel that life could actually be worth living for the first time.”

“We batht together in one of the family bathchambers and thoroughly enjoyt ourselfs. I shavt Havern and trimt his hair, and looking in a mirror he runn his finger tips over his now whiskerless chin, smielt and sayt, ‘Gratitude, Little Girl. You’re worth keeping just for that.’ ”

“We spent the rest of the day together, dient well at the White Swan on roast aurochs rib with a bottle of brandy, apple as I recall, Havern was fond of apple, and, after dancing and listening to the song and music, spent the night there where Havern maekt good his claim to having learnt a bit on the way. He taught me things I had never heard of, despite my mother’s craft. It was the first time any had kisst, lickt and suckt my bud and its cloak and shewn me how to reciprocate. My softth was quivering and pulsing with satisfaction even before Havern had attemptet me with what had proven to be a much larger manhood than I had tryt to coax to hardth before he’d awakent in the hay store. He was much bigger than any my softth had accommodatet before, and I was still only a girl with a lot of growing still to do. I was frantic and crying with frustratet want when I discovert at the beginning that I couldn’t take him. But Havern was skillt, gentle and to my joy persistent, and I gradually yieldet enough to take him, but it taekt me the best part of two hours just to accept all of him.

“Before then Havern had bringt me to my peak a number of times as with salve he’d coaxt my softt to accept the head of his probing longth. I was in the throes of yet another orgasm when he pusht his lubricatet hardth all the way sounding my deepth. I gaspt and shriekt in simultaneous pain and pleasure and tryt half heartetly to evade his impaling longth, but I was neath him and pint to the bed by his hardth within and his weighth without, and the sensation of feeling ready to split at the loins had taken me over the edge of yet another orgasm. I enjoyt the pain that was pleasure and the pleasure that was pain, and once I had easet enough for Havern to continue it had not taken long for me to lubricate and relax enough to enjoy the best sex of my admittetly limitet experience.”

“Was that when you first enjoyt yourself as you do now, Turner? When the pain and pleasure become one I mean.”

“I bethink me so. I remember nothing like it before that. For a man of his age Havern had a lot of stamina too, and I was raxt(17) and satisfyt when I awoke to bully Havern into invading me once more before partaking of a late braekfast of hot porridge with honey in the comb and, on Havern’s recommendation, calt roast slew(18) with rowan sauce, hot bannocks and leaf.”

“During braekfast Havern sayt, ‘The good thing regards being at Ivy’s is the food is excellent, the brandy even better, the beds superb and better yet none will disparage you. The witless and flaught are too aflait of her refusing to serve them in future. None insult any of her customers under her roof with impunity. As long as one is agreeable neither she nor her crafters care how drinkn you are, and when you finally fall off your stool they will put you to bed with care. Even if you have drinken the last of your tokens they’ll find a waggoner a warm corner in one of the public chambers and throw a blanket over you. I’m going to see regards Eorl’s crafters loading me thisday for an early start nextday. You coming?’ ”

“ ‘Yes,’ I replyt. ‘I’ve nought else to do. I’ll take some stale bread for your team.’ ”

“We spent the rest of the day enjoyably together and plannen on an early night, before leaving at truedawn. We’d reservt the chamber at the Swan for the additional night, for it was pleasant and the Swan was conveniently next to Geoffrey’s stables. Unbeknownst to us some person on seeing us enjoying ourselfs the eve before in the public chambers of the Swan, where Havern had spent a considerable sum, had reportet Havern to the Master at arms office for vaucht. The suppoest charge layt was that he had uest his maturity, wealth and overmuch brandy to seduce an immature and vulnerable girl into spending the night with him. Further more it was reportet that I had been hearet screaming in our bedchamber. I suppose to most we were an unlikely seeming couple, and we were returning to the Swan to eat when we were accostet by a squad of guardians accompanyt by a pair wearing Master at arms insignia and a woman wearing a healer’s broach. Havern was happy enough for us to be escortet to the Master at arms offices where he knew the flaughtth of it all could be dispoest of in minutes, but when he realiest it was the officious intention of the guardians to separate us and escort me to the infirmary he pullt his belt knife and caltly demandet, ‘And just where bethink yourself you are taking my agreän? I’ll die trying to kill the first who lays a hand on her, be it woman or man.’ ”

“The squad stopt immediately, and all held their arms out from their sides with their weaponless hands visible, for Havern was reputet to be skillt and dangerous with a knife, and more over if what Havern claimt were true they were close to committing a major offence gainst the Way. All were responsible for their own actions under the Way, and their craft would not protect them from the consequences of their actions, for Havern had warnt them. They all knew he had the right to kill in defence of his agreän, whom given the circumstances they had no right to abduct, and they knew abduction was how the Way would interpret their actions should they continue, for irrespective of my age I had the right to an agreän be he of whatsoever age. They also knew, after having warnt them, the Way would deem any attack on Havern to be an unprovokt assault.”

“I realiest having acceptet Havern’s hospitality on the waggon meant the Way obligatet him to offer me his protection. Since, other than my own kind, he was the only person in my life who’d acceptet me as I was, for even the firekeepers had been nervous in my presence, and he obviously liekt me as well as enjoyt me I decidet to accept his protection. So I put my arm through his and said, ‘It’s fine, Husband Havern. I’m not going any where till I am telt why I should. Well?’ ”

“I sayt the last to the guardian squad leader, who replyt, ‘There has been a charge of vaucht layt gainst Havern regards you. We will you to come with us whilst the matter is lookt into. The healers were askt to examine you to ensure you are hale.’ ”

“I was angry and telt him, ‘I’d have been more impresst by your ability to handle such a sensitive matter, Guardian, had you refert to my husband as ‘your husband Havern’ rather than merely as Havern, and you’d refert to me by my name rather than as you. However, I’m not going any where with you till you give me an adequate reason as to why I should, and me being hale or no is not an adequate reason, for since I am here you can have no possible need of the healers to determine the matter when you can simply ask me. I am hale, but what should be of greater concern to you is your own haelth, for like my man I too have the right to kill in defence of my agreän, and even without a knife I’m probably far more dangerous than he, as you should be aware.’ ”

“The guardian, clearly put out by the way I had addressed him without enquiring for his name, said, ‘Your husband was seen spending a lot of tokens in your company last eve, Turner, and plying you with strong drink. It was considert to be suspicious. It was also reportet you were hearet screaming in your bedchamber.’ ”

“Havern respondt to the guardian’s statement. ‘I am perplext why it has taken so long for aught to have been doen concerning the matter. If it were truly believt that Turner was being subject to abuse I should have been apprehendet lasteve, in the night at the latest. We have not been in hiding. Indeed we’ve been available all night in our chamber and all day conducting all our necessary trade arrangements with numerous persons and enjoying our last day here before we have to leave. We reacht agreement lastday. I have a lot of tokens to spend from my last trip, and we shall not be back at the Keep for lunes. We leave at truedawn nextday. Is it not understandable that I desire to spend them on my wife? And it’s certainly not for you nor any else to nay say my right to so do. Be very careful as you answer me, Guardian. Who layt the charge? And who maekt the ajudgement as to what constitutes suspicious?’ ”

“ ‘I would not be at liberty to say even if I knoewn,’ the guardian flaughtly replyt.”

“Havern turnt to the Master at arm staff and said caltly, ‘A person unknown to me has layt a charge they may or may not be qualifyt to make. This is ridiculous. The Way is clear regards such. It explicitly states none may lay charges anonymously gainst any for any crime at all. The same section of the Way also explicitly states there is no such thing as an anonymous charge therefore there is no charge gainst me. Am I not correct?’ ”

“The older Master at arms member replyt, ‘You are correct, Havern.’ ”

“ ‘The Way also explicitly states none may nay say the freely given choice of any’s agreän. Is that correct?’ Havern presst.”

“ ‘Again, It is,’ he was telt.”

“Havern turnt to me and askt, ‘Pretty One, was it your freely given choice to take me to husband?’ ”

“ ‘Of course. I telt you—’ I braekt off at that point and smielt mischievously at Havern, for I was enjoying myself, before resuming, ‘Actually I really don’t consider it appropriate for any other than you to hear what I telt you. Do you? For aught concerning my leaçe is a private matter between us, but may hap we’ll discuss it further this night. In bed! And should I feel the need to scream again I shall, though it bepuzzles me as to how my screams of pleasure were identifyt mongst all the others when nearly all the Mistresses of leisure craft at the Swan.’ ”

“ ‘I agree, Pretty One, on all counts, but may hap they consider it was that my choice was not freely given and you coercet me, Little Girl, so we must clear up that possibility too.’ The guardians were squirming with embarrassment, the Master at arm staff were mortifyt and the healer was enjoying herself far too much to be a party to the nonsense involvt. However, none said aught, and so Havern continuet. ‘My choice was indeed freely given, so there are no charges and my agreän and I are agreen with each other, please note, of both our free wills. I am a forgiving man, so I shall not lay a charge of harassment gainst you, but I advise you, Guardian, to undertake a little more learning. Specifically into those of Turner’s gifts, for you ought to have known that she and any of her kind could drink me, you and your squad off our legs, so the charge of plying her with strong drink is pure fantasy, equally fantastic is any accusation concerning the bedchamber, for those like my agreän have capabilities of legend in the bedchamber, but as she rightly insistet that is a private matter. Does that clear up this flaughtth? Because if it does I suggest you go berount your affairs and leave me to squander my remaining tokens on my wife before we retire early where we intend to enjoy each other in the comfort of Ivy’s superb bed for the last time for lunes. Turner as you should be aware needs bedding as she needs food and drink and you are wasting time we could be spending in bed. We wish to be out of the Keep away from such flaughtth and witless lack learners(19) like you at truedawn as I telt you.’ ”

“The squad leader trying to retain control of the situation sayt, ‘It may be best that you be available for clarification if further enquiries are deemt necessary.’ ”

“That was the point at which affairs taekt a decidet turn for the worse for the squad. I taekt a step forward and pokt the guardian in the chest with one finger so hard I seeën the pain on his face. Then I sayt, ‘It may be best for your haelth if you withdraw that statement, Guardian, or I shall challenge you and your entire squad to fight in the Greathall, on the grounds that you impugnt my husband’s honour, and I will slaughter you all. Withdraw it immediately, or I shall here and now lay my challenge to you with all men here as attestors and you, Healer, as attestatrix. I shall of course issue my challenge formally in writing which my husband will deliver to the Master at arms receiving office within the hour. Should I have to fight, our loss of income due to the requiert, formal, three days delay will be chargeable to your estates, or, if they prove to be inadequate, to the Folk via the Collective.’ ”

“It was a very humble guardian who withdrew the statement. I could see his thoughts, doubts and fears clear as day on his face. He was not certain that I could carry out my threat, but given that poke in the chest, which by then would have been developing into a painful bruise, he was not certain I couldn’t. He clearly knew next to naught of me and those like me or of the formalities concerning such challenges, but I knoewn I had soundet as if I were only too familiar with the details.”

“As the guardians and Master at arms staff were leaving, the middle aegt healer claspt my arm and sayt, ‘I have sorrow for your inconvenience, Turner, Havern, for I truly knoewn naught of the matter till you resolvt it, but mercy that was funny. I wish you both well. I am Annalen, and should you ever have need of one of my craft I deem I owe you a service.’ ”

“After the guardians and the others had gone, I sayt to Havern, ‘That was amazing, pure genius, Old Man! Agreäns. I’d never have bethinkt me of that. There are good persons here, but for one like me too many are elsewise. I’m going to be very happy when we leave.’ ”

“Havern was serious as he sayt, ‘You can braek our agreement when ever you like, but I’d recommend you don’t till we’re well away from the Keep, Pretty One.’ ”

“But I’d maekt all my decisions and sayt, ‘I’ve no intention what so ever of braeking it. You’d better become uest to the idea of having a wife and responsibilities now. And you don’t need to worry I’ll nag you of your drinking. I won’t. Any hap how much do you drink on the waggon?’ ”

“ ‘I don’t. I admit I like it, but I only drink so much here so as to enable me to cope with all the small mindet flaughtth I have to endure like what just happent. It’s the same as being bedd, since my wife dien years over it only happens when I’m here. Why?’ he askt.”

“ ‘I’ll bedd you when ever you will, Old Man, yet I enjoy a glass from time to time too. I startet with it to dull the insistence of my needs, but it’s never run away with me, so how do you feel regards a bottle or two on the waggon, say a dozen for a three lune trip?’ I askt.”

“ ‘Pure treasure, that’s what you are, Goodwife,’ he telt me. ‘I’ll enjoy that, and I know it’ll never get away from me either. I’m beginning to love you, Pretty One. Tell me, could you and would you have killt that guardian and his squad? And how doet you know all that Master at arms spaek regards challenges and the like?’ ”

“I laught as I sayt, ‘Yes to both your first two questions. I have good relationships with few, mostly my own kind, and we need to keep each other at a distance. You were the first to shew any kind of care to me. You may be beginning to love me, Old Man, but already do I love you. None was I going to allow to take you from me or threatt you, for you are mine. Regards the Master at arms spaek, I just maekt it up, for that squad leader was as witless as a stump, neither of the Master at arms staff had senior members' insignia and I was sure none there would know aught of it, and they’ll not remember the details of what I sayt.’ ”

“Havern was shaking with amusement as he sayt, ‘I bethinkt me I was a good enough liar, Little Girl, but you’ll have to take me under instruction, Goodwife. I’m looking forward to life with you. Mercy! “‘I just maekt it up!’” Pure treasure.’ ”

“ ‘We should have a lot of fun together,’ I telt him. ‘Now let us finish our errands and eat. What kind of brandy do you like, Old Man? I like plum, but I don’t mind others.’ ”

“Havern doetn’t hesitate, ‘Apple is my favourite, but let us have three of each, apple, plum, apricot, and peach? How does that sound?’ ”

“ ‘Good,’ I replyt, ‘But let’s get three of sixty hundredths blackthorn too, just in case I have the want, for it does happen. I doetn’t particularly like it, but there are times when I need it. On a different matter, I wish to announce our agreement at Ivy’s with a glass or two thiseve. That should discomfort the flaught and block any attempt at trying to prevent us leaving. An early night with a moderate bedding, and I would like it much if you bedd me from behind on my hands and knees again. Nextday we’ll be set up for our life together, and I will to learn it all. You have an apprentice as well as an agreän, Old Man, how does that sound?’ ”

“ ‘Like I’ve been rebirtht.’ Havern looked a little sorrowful as he continuet. ‘My only regret is my age which will limit our time together. Let’s face the Master at arms office down even further, and have them prepare a record(20) leaving you my all, it’s really only the team, the waggon and the trade goods that have any value, but I wish none to be able to take away your craft, Pretty One, for it will give you escape from the Keep when ever you will. You’re mine and I’m just trying to protect you, but, less you consider that is maudlin or morbid, Castle is generous as she has proven by bringing us together, and I have never suffert from greed, so I shall gratefully accept what ever time with you she chooses to give me, but you should have that record before we leave, so I suggest we do that now and then buy us a few bottles. What bethink you?’ ”

“ ‘I shouldn’t have askt it of you, even had I bethinkt myself of it, Havern, but gratitude for your care to me, Goodman. Doet you notice Ivy’s menu earlier? There’s spitt suckling grisling(21) available thiseve. I fancy that with dry cider to cut the grease. What bethink you to that?’ ”

“ ‘I seeën it not, but it is one of my favourite viands. However, I’ll need a big bib, for there’s no point in eating it if you can’t enjoy it to the full, and that means using your hands. I’m worse than a weän(22) for mess when eating with my fingers, so big bibs, a plate for the bones, finger bowls big enough for your entire hands and lots of deadth dry, cider. Better yet we’ll have the cider Joseph has maekt from red, wild apples, for it has a bite to it that goes well with aught that’s some what fatty. But there’s naught to worry of, for Ivy likes folk to enjoy their food and knows what to provide, but we’d better order early or it will all be reservt, for though Ivy knows how to charge she doesn’t stint and always delivers value, so now it’s the Swan then the Master at arms then the rest. Whilst there we could ask Ivy’s staff to provide the brandy for us, they’ll know what’s best. I have a crossbow on the waggon and trade the meat on my travels, but on my returns to the Keep I kill what I can to trade or sell here. I usually deal with Ling of the Refectory kitchens’ provisioners, but if we will to have a chamber at the Swan when we’re here, and I’d like that for the days of sleeping in hay stores and the like are over for both of us, Little Girl, may hap I’ll offer the meat to Ivy first, for she’ll be interestet and always deals plumb.(23) I’m getting more fun out of this by the minute, Pretty One, however, it occurs to me there are one or two skills between the sheets I have not shewn you that are best enjoyt in a comfortable bed rather than in a bedroll on the ground. Thisnight is our last such opportunity for some time, so after I bed you from behind I would be obligt if you allowt me to dominate our bedding thisnight.’ Havern was surprisingly formal as he askt.”

“ ‘Intriguing,’ I sayt truthfully. ‘I look forward to it. My only regret is I doetn’t meet you two years ago. You know the consequences of being like me?’ ”

“ ‘Yes, or I believe I do. You have hotter blood, a fiercer and more compelling bedding drive and reach your heatth(24) young. Your senses are acute and you are deceptively strong and fast too.’ Havern considert for a moment then sayt, ‘I know of naught else.’ ”

“ ‘That’s most of it. All of any import any hap.’ I too considert and sayt, ‘Folk will make much talk of us you know.’ ”

“ Havern smielt as he sayt, ‘I know. Let them. They’ll only have the gossip to enjoy, and since we doetn’t live at the Keep they’ll know little with any certainty. We on the other hand shall have each other.’ Suddenly serious he addet, ‘Who has the more?’ ”

“Our love was deep and we enjoyt every second of the time we had together. Havern teacht me all there was to know of waggoning and bedding, and we spent as little time as possible at the Keep. When we returnt we had a chamber at the Swan. It was a tragedy to me that our time together was so short. We rarely uest each others’ names. I callt him Old Man or Husband and Goodman from time to time, he callt me Pretty One, Little Girl or occasionally Goodwife and our relationship perplext most who had dealings with us. Only Ivy seemt to consider us without puzzlement. Havern dien when I was a little short of twelve and a half, and to me his deadth was as typical of him as his life had been. We’d been making love, unusually in the only the way a lot of the Folk knoewn of, and after his peak he fell back to his deadth. I laught and cryt for hours at the extravagance of both his life and his deadth before burying him in the shade of the massive lone ironwood we were campt at. I considert it entirely appropriate he’d dien there, at the place that was more truly a waggoner’s place than any other, for beyond memory the waggoners had claimt the ironwood as theirs as a landmark to aid their navigation and to mark the crossing point of three trails, for it was visible for days by waggon in all directions. It was sayt the tree had caust acrimony between the waggoners and the foresters, but that centuries over the Council of the day had ruelt in favour of the waggoners’ prior claim thus preventing its felling. It is one of the few tales that predate the Fell Year, but by how long is not known.”

“What doet you do afterwards, when you were on your own, Turner?”

“I carryt on waggoning, and overwintert at Hidden Hollow holding with Aaron's family in exchange for future service, for despite my record evidencing my ownership of the waggon and team, I decidet not to return to the Keep till I was fourteen, for I did not wish to provide any potential claimant with my minority to bolster their claim to my property. I was not prepaert to risk losing the things my man had treasuert to the hands of any who would only see them in terms of the tokens they could be selt for. Havern had sayt, ‘Tokens are worthless. They’re only a way to obtain what really matters. Ultimately you’re dead, and some other will spend your tokens like water because not having had to craft for them they are easy to pour away without any pain.’ He’d been right, and the waggon and team really mattert to me, for the waggon had been our home and the team our family. Havern had dien, but I wasn’t going to see the hard earnt results of his crafting spent like water and wastet. The site of his deadth subsequently became yclept Havern’s Ironwood to the puzzlement of many when the ironwood tree blastet by lightening had been long harvestet by the waggoners and the proceeds uest to improve our trails. That waggon became wearn beyond repair, and the team that pullt it have long since all joint Havern, but, Otday, I still have the life of freedom that Havern gifted me, and now I have you. Now let’s sleep, for nextday, well later thisday, we have an early start and a long hard day.”

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete
7 Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastaire, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift
72 Gareth, Willow, Ivy, David, Kæna,Chive, Hyssop, Birch, Lucinda, Camomile, Meredith, Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, Murre, Iola, Milligan, Yarrow, Flagstaff, Swansdown, Tenor, Morgan, Yinjærik, Silvia, Harmaish, Billie, Jo, Stacey, Juniper
73 The Growers, The Reluctants, Miriam, Roger, Lauren, Dermot, Lindsay, Scott, Will, Chris, Plume, Stacey, Juniper
74 Warbler, Jed, Veronica, Campion, Mast, Lucinda, Cormorant, Camomile, Yellowstone
75 Katheen, Raymnd, Niall, Bluebe, Sophie, Hazel, Ivy, Shadow, Allison, Amber, Judith, Storm Alwydd, Matthew, Beatrix, Jackdaw, The Squad, Elders, Jennt, Bronze, Maeve, Wain, Monique, Piddock, Melissa, Roebuck, Aaron, Carley Jade, Zoë, Vikki, Bekka, Mint, Torrent
76 Gimlet, Leech,Gwendoline, Georgina, Quail. Birchbark, Hemlock, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Hannah, Aaron, Torrent, Zoë, Bekka, Vikki, Jade, Carley, Chough, Anvil, Clematis, Stonechat, Peace, Xanders, Gosellyn, Yew, Thomas, Campion, Will, Iris, Gareth
77 Zoë, Torrent, Chough, Stonechat, Veronica, Mast, Sledge, Cloudberry, Aconite, Cygnet, Smokt
78 Jed, Warbler, Luval, Glaze, Seriousth, Blackdyke, Happith, Camilla
79 Torrent, Zoë, Stonechat, Clematis, Aaron, Maeve, Gina, Bracken, Gosellyn, Paene, Veronica, Mast, Fracha, Squid, Silverherb
80 George/Gage, Niall, Alwydd, Marcy/Beth, Freddy/Bittern, Wayland, Chris, Manic/Glen, Guy, Liam, Jed, Fergal, Sharky
81 The Squad, Manic/Glen, Jackdaw, Beatrix, Freddy/Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Wayland, Jade, Stonechat, Beauty, Mast, Veronica, Raven, Tyelt, Fid
82 Gimlet, Leech, Scentleaf, Ramson, Grouse, Aspen, Stonechat, Bekka, Carley, Vikki, Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Jed, Warbler, Spearmint, Alwydd, Billie, Diver, Seal, Whitethorn
83 Alastair, Carrom, Céline, Quickthorn, Corral, Morgelle, Fritillary, Bistort, Walnut, Tarragon, Edrydd, Octopus, Sweetbean, Shrike, Zoë, Torrent, Aaron, Vinnek, Zephyr, Eleanor, Woad, George/Gage, The Squad, Ingot, Yellowstone, Phthalen, Will
84 Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Alsike, Campion, Siskin, Gosellyn, Yew, Rowan, Thomas, Will, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Tuyere
85 Jo, Knott, Sallow, Margæt, Irena, Tabby, Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Stonechat, Spearmint, Alwydd, Seriousth, Warbler, Jed, Brett, Russel, Barleycorn, Crossbill, Lizo, Hendrix, Monkshood, Eyrie, Whelk, Gove, Gilla, Faarl, Eyebright, Alma, axx, Allan, daisy, Suki, Tull
86 Cherville, Nightshade, Rowan, Milligan, Wayland, Beth, Liam, Chris, Gage
87 Reedmace, Ganger, Jodie, Blade, Frœp, Mica, Eddique, Njacek, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Serin, Cherville, Nightshade, peregrine, Eleanor, Woad, Buzzard, Silas, Oak, Wolf, Kathleen, Reef, Raymond, Sophie, Niall, Bluebell
88 Cloud, Sven, Claudia, Stoat, Thomas, Aaron, Nigel, Yew, Milligan, Gareth, Campion, Will, Basil, Gosellyn, Vinnek, Plume
89 Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Silverherb, Cloudberry, Smokt, Skylark, Beatrix, Beth, Amethyst, Mint, Wayland, Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Joan, Bræth, Nell, Milligan, Iola, Ashdell, Alice, Molly, Rill, Briar
90 Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Beth, Beatrix, Sanderling, Falcon, Gosellyn, Gage, Will, Fiona, Jackdaw, Wayland, Merle, Cynthia, Jed, Warbler
91 Morgelle, Tuyere, Fritillary, Bistort, Jed, Otday, The Squad, Turner, Gudrun, Ptarmigan, Swegn, Campion, Otis, Asphodel, Jana, Treen, Xeffer, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, Beatrix, Jackdaw
92 Turner, Otday, Mackerel, Eorl, Betony, The Council, Will, Yew, Basil, Gerald, Oier, Patrick, Happith, Angélique, Kroïn, Mako
93 Beth, Greensward, Beatrix, Odo, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Otday, Turner, Gace, Rachael, Groundsel, Irena, Warbler, Jed, Mayblossom, Mazun, Will, The Squad
94 Bistort, Honey, Morgelle, Basil, Willow, Happith, Mako, Kroïn, Diana, Coaltit, Gær, Lavinia, Joseph (son), Ruby, Deepwater, Gudrun, Vinnek, Tuyere, Otday, Turner
95 Turner, Otday, Waverly, Jed, Tarse, Zoë, Zephyr, Agrimony, Torrent, Columbine, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, The Council, Gage, Lilly
96 Faith, Oak, Lilly, Fran, Suki, Dyker, Verbena, Jenny, Bronze, Quietth, Alwydd, Evan, Gage, Will, Woad, Bluebell, Niall, Sophie, Wayland, Kathleen, Raymond, Bling, Bittern
97 Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Margæt, Tabby, Larov, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Brmling, Tench, Knawel, Loosestrife, Agrimony, Jana, Will, Gale, Linden, Thomas, Guelder, Jodie, Peach, Peregrine, Reedmace, Ganger, The Council, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Ellen, Gem, Beth, Geän

98 Turner, Otday, Anbar, Bernice, Silverherb, Havern, Annalen

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Cousine, female cousin.
Doet, did. Pronounced dote.
Doetn’t, didn’t. Pronounced dough + ent.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Grandparents. In Folk like in many Earth languages there are words for either grandmother and grandfather like granddad, gran, granny. There are also words that are specific to maternal and paternal grandparents. Those are as follows. Maternal grand mother – granddam. Paternal grandmother – grandma. Maternal grandfather – grandfa. Paternal grandfather – grandda.
Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
Intendet, fiancée or fiancé.
Knoewn, knew.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Loes, lost.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.

1 Flaughtth, stupidity.
2 Aflait, frightened. Flait, fright or fear.
3 Sincely, recently.
4 Knoewn, knew.
5 Quick, alive.
6 Instruments of apprenticeship, apprentices’ articles of indenture.
7 Placement, position, job or rank.
8 Weäl, well being.
9 Woman’s friend, Folk expression for an artificial penis, usually turned from wood, though some are maekt of glass or pottery.
10 Drinkn(s), drunk(s).
11 Vaucht, usually implied as a result of a misuse of a large imbalance of social standing or maturity, i.e. power. Nearest English equivalent is coercion. Vɐχt. A serious offence under the Way.
12 A bin, have been. Not a commonplace Folk usage, but Havern speaks a form of Folk used by older waggoners and holders who live at long established holdings, most at some distance from the Keep. Such speech is considered by most to be dialectal, perhaps ‘folksy’ or ‘woodsy’ would be reasonable English renditions.
13 Flaught, usually an adjective meaning foolish or stupid. Here uest as a collective noun indicating the foolish or the stupid.
14 Caltth, coldness, cold. Calt is an adjective., Caltly, coldly an adverb.
15 Tellin, a small tasty, often pink coloured, marine bivalve. In a tellin is equivalent to in a nutshell.
16 Weighen, weighed.
17 Raxt, raxed. This is a lessor, but common intransitive use of the verb. A vaginal tenderness, soreness or feeling of being over stretched after having had sex, oft uest in connection with having had sex with an unusually well endowed male, e.g. she feelt raxt. The major use is transisitive and refers to muscle strain, eg she raxt her calf muscle.
18 Slew, a close relative of pheasant. Slew are twice the size of pheasant. The cocks have characteristic dark green, bordering on black, metallic plumage and make a distinctive rattling sound. The silent hens have non-metallic, mottled, pale buff plumage enabling them blend in with the background even when not trying to be unobserved.
19 Lack learner, literally one who lacks learning, usually applied to one whose placement is such that one would expect them to know what they clearly do not.
20 Record, document.
21 Grisling, piglet.
22 Weän, a baby old enough to have been weaned from the breast.
23 Plumb, in this context fairly, honestly.
24 Heatth, hotness. In this context sexual maturity.

up
16 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Your writing

Wow, your writing keeps getting better and better! While I've yet to read this chapter fully (I've started on 001 and have been too busy at work to get much farther yet...), your writing style has definitely improved and your storytelling is interesting. Thank you for sharing your work!!

Better?

It's a thought, but most of what I've posted recently was written at least 15 years ago, some twice that far back. I have made some alterations as I've prepared the work for posting, but essentially it is as it was back then. I've recently been working on filling the 'holes' in the tale where I only have outline notes. I still have a lot to do. Chapters 99 & 100 are nearly ready for posting and at that point I shall have to pause for there is a large 'hole' that needs writing. I have extensive notes on the material, but it takes time. I also need to turn some of my grumpy old man notes into tales. Thank you for your comment.
Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen

Getting Better???

Christina H's picture

I have found that the way Eolwaen writes is good but as you progress with the story and get used to
the language of the story they become easier to read which I think leads the reader to believe that
the writing gets better
Love the story and adore the 'Grumpy Old Men' can't wait for their return.

Christina