Castle The Series - 0046 Janet, Gina, Alastair, Joan, Judith

Printer-friendly version

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003130

AN ARRANGED MARRIAGE

FORENOON JANET THE DINNER GOWN

Word Usage Key is at the end. The brackets after a character eg CLAIRE (4nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.)

30th of Towin Day 3

When Campion and Janet arrived at the seamstresses’ store they were expected. The store, which was part of the Keep inner walls, was a collection of storage facilities for the clothes of those who had dien(1) and had had none to leave them to and also for the seamstresses’ output. It also housed workshops where many of the crafters of the various crafts that comprised the seamstresses worked, or at least worked some of the time, for many worked at home a lot. Janet hadn’t been looking forward to meeting her new craft associates. She had expected some hostility as a result of her erstwhile attitude towards Livette. She had been worrying without cause, for only those who had need to know of her previous stance had been telt. She was maekt(2) well come, leaf was produced and she was involved in a craft conversation when Campion interrupted to explain to the seamstresses why Janet was there.

“But of course you can’t go to the dance in that,” said Mistress Celiotte, pointing to Janet’s frock. Then realising what she had just said, she apologised, “My sorrow, I didn’t mean to be bad mannert.”(3)

“I wasn’t offended,” said Janet, looking at herself in one of the mirrors, which were everywhere. “It’s functional, but not pretty is it?”

At this point, Campion said, “I shall leave you in the competent hands of your fellow crafters, and see you thiseve(4) in the Greathall, Janet.”

She turned to go, and Janet said, “Thank you very much, Campion, for everything.” Campion smiled and went back to the Master at arms offices. The redemption of Janet had been a significant success, but there was still a lot more work for her to do.

Celiotte looking at Janet with the appraising look of a crafter said, “I take it what you are wearing is all the clothing you have?”

“Yes,” said Janet a little unsteadily, “I suppose I should be grateful it wasn’t night time when I left. There were a few who arrived dressed in their night things, and they were awfully cold.”

“It’s a riandet,”(5) said Celiotte, “a complete set of clothes is clearly needet.(6) We,” she added with emphasis on the pronoun and pointing at her bosom with her thumb, “have to dress elegantly. If only for the prestige of the craft you understand.” There was a lot of laughter mongst(7) the seamstresses at that, and more than a bit of giggling.

In no time at all, they had Janet in a fitting chamber trying on garment after garment. She had never had so much maekt of her in her life and was enjoying herself enormously. She was also emotional and tearful. But her sister crafters were having none of that. They were having far too much fun. By the time an hour and a half had gone by, Janet had, as Mistress Celandine had pithily put it, “The start on a half decent wardrobe.”

There had also been considerable exchange of information concerning women’s clothing both functional and social. Because of her slightth(8) of build Janet hadn’t thought anything of it that during the clothes modelling and selection there had been no brassières produced, especially since Celiotte had sewn a couple of pads into the front of the gown which she was going to be wearing to the dance. “Just to help it hang better,” she had said with a smile.

However, Janet was interested in all aspects of what she now had begun to think of as her craft. “I know I have no real need of one,” she began, “but what styles of brassières do you make?”

The women were perplexed, and one asked, “That’s a term I’m not familiar with, may hap we call it something else. What exactly do you mean?”

Janet explained, to be telt, “We’ve no such garment, but for smaller and medium bosoms, our frocks, aprons and blouses are maekt to be self supporting,” and then with an arch expression, “especially so our social occasion frocks and gowns.” There was general laughter at that.

Janet asked, “And what of those who are more generously bosomed or nursing?”

There then followed some detailed discussions of underwear with sewn in stays and what the women referred to as an ‘apron-skirtt,(9) lacet(10) bodice’, usually just called an apron they explained. Which was an arrangement where a blouse was worn under the bib of a bib topped skirt which had stiffening stays in the wrap berount(11) bib which was usually split at the front and laced under and then across the bosom. Janet’s wasn’t entirely sure she understood the arrangement till samples were produced for her to examine. She thought they would look very feminine and elegant on a woman with something to put in one, but to her they were more suitable for those social occasions they had all laught at earlier rather than for functional use, especially for nursing mothers.

“I shall find Amethyst,” said a girlish looking young woman who Janet was later to learn was called Mint. Mint came back a few minutes later with a middle aegt woman who was hugely endowed and wearing an apron.

The conversation thus far was explained to Amethyst who agreed with Janet, “No, it wasn’t convenient when I was nursing, but an apron does provide enough support for a heavy breastet(12) woman to avoid hurt irrespective of whether she is nursing or a just big bosomt.”(13) The women looked at the sketches just produced by Janet and concluded brassières were not going to become fashionable for social wear. They simply weren’t eye catching enough. Celiotte suggested Janet make some of the new garments for trial as functional wear.

“I’ve seen them wearn(14) by some of the newfolk already, but only women far smaller breastet than I. It never occurt(15) to me they could be maekt for bigger women. I was busy dressing them for the dance, but I’ll try the first one,” Amethyst insisted. “If it works for me, then it works.”

Janet picked up a string and said, “I’ll take the measurements then and see what I can do.” The women wished to know how long would it take, and Janet had to reply, “I’m not exactly sure. It was a specialist craft, and I never had any personal involvement, but I can’t see why I shouldn’t have the first one to trial in a few hours. We can improve on it with subsequent versions. I’ll ask the women who arrived wearing one to let me see them, and use them for pattern ideas. But in the meanwhile where can I work, and where should I get materials, needles and things from?” This was quickly explained, and all was provided in an adjacent chamber. Janet realised she now had a place mongst her new peers. “I’ve nothing to do till the dinner tonight, thisnight(16) I mean. Could I make a start?”

“Let’s have lunch, and then you can make a start,” Celandine suggested.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003140

THE HEALERS MEETING

FORENOON GINA (36)

30th of Towin Day 3

The meeting of Gina and the healers was a somewhat interesting affair as the healers didn’t understand what it was Gina could offer them, and Gina didn’t understand what the healers were interested in. Virtually all the senior healers, herbals and midwifes(17) were in attendance, and all were interested. Theirs was a craft with no time for cynicism, scepticism yes, cynicism no. They all knew the story from the archives, it was part of their training, which telt that many incursions over an incomer had telt the healers of the day honey when uest(18) as a wound dressing helped to prevent wounds festering and thus to heal. It was true, and was now standard practice. Similarly treatment of festering wounds with blowfly larvae, maggots to the fishermen, again learnt from incomers, was on the face of it an unlikely but now thoroughly understood technique.

It was also known a herbal preparation, developed by Falcon, based on lichens from the far north usually had a beneficial effect on suppurating wounds. When it was beneficial, it was efficacious dramatically quickly, but it did not work in every case, and much to Falcon’s dismay, it was not understood why not. Falcon was still researching the matter and having samples of all other lichens and mosses delivered by hunters and foragers that they encountered.

The meeting had happened because Rowan had maekt a tentative link between the unpleasant smell of a batch of cheese that, for reasons unknown to the dairy crafters, went bad, and that of festering wounds which sometimes necessitated an amputation, or even caused deadth.(19) Gina had explained the previous day the process of turning milk into cheese was one where particular natural microörganisms were encouraged, and those tiny invisible animals maekt the cheese. She had also explained if scrupulous hygiene and sterilisation of all equipment, which involved the killing of undesired microörganisms which were everywhere, weren’t undertaken every time, a different sort of microörganism could invade the batch from the air, or the equipment, which could make it go bad.

There were she said substances she had uest to sterilise her equipment that as far as she was aware were not available on Castle, but she knew on Earth in days gone by there had been herbs which prevented unwanted microörganisms from developing, and doubtless they would be present on Castle too. She suspected the plants would probably be known to some group of persons, all they had to do was look into the matter. She also suggested they ask the brewers how they cleant their equipment. She said, whilst she had little medical knowledge, she suspected similar hygiene with wounds would be necessary to avoid unwanted microörganisms from developing and causing what she thought was referred to by medical persons on Earth as blood poisoning or, more recently, septicaemia, which was the name for what happened when a would went bad and often was fatal.

That Rowan was no expert on dairy work or healing didn’t alter that it was her acute perception which had caused the meeting to take place. She explained she couldn’t help but believe there was a connection between wounds and what Gina had spaken(20) of at their first meeting. Gina had explained all she knew of microörganisms, but said it would probably be a good idea to spaek(21) to all the incomers for it was possible there were some who knew far more of this than she, and possibly some who knew of natural herb sterilisers too.

Bracken said, “There is at least one, Ella. If I’d known what was going to be discusst(22) thisday(23) I should have askt(24) her to join us, but I believe she’s busy organising her personal placement, which is of course of more immediate importance. We shall have to meet again, and we may have to use a bigger chamber if there are many more who can contribute.”

The debate had been started. Rowan was rapidly left understanding not more than one word in ten, and she was as rapidly followed by Gina, but the healers had found many avenues to explore in terms of both general care and wound management, and were looking forwards to their next meeting when they hoped they would make significant progress. By the time the notes had been read over to ensure they were correct it was time to braek(25) for lunch.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003150

POPPIN PILLS & FAST WORK

FORENOON ALASTAIR (19) AND THE REMAINING FILES

30th of Towin Day 3

The explanation of Alastair, the biggest liar breathing, was simple, but perplexing to Yew. Why would any take herbs to become some other? On his way to the Master at arms office to meet with Thomas, and go over the remainder of the male incomer files, he had been stopped by Falcon who had been seeking him or Thomas.

Falcon a senior Master herbal in his sixties had telt him, “Alastair has been, in the words of the incomers, poppin’ pills. Which means eating herbs which have strange effects on the personality. This is a familiar side effect of some herbs, and in particular fungi, prepaert(26) by us for the healers. They are powerful in the hands of the herbals and healers and have savt(27) many lifes,(28) but dangerous in the hands of those who don’t know what they are doing. I really don’t understand why any would take such an unnecessary risk with his life. However, Alastair has no more of the herbs callt(29) pills and will return to his usual self betimes.” Yew expressed gratitude to Falcon for the explanation and continued on his way.

Thomas and Yew were back in Thomas’ office with the remaining forty-four male newfolk files. Lovage, Hazel, Gosellyn and Siskin were down the corridor with the remaining thirty-four female newfolk files, as well as extra files of elders and pregnant women provided by the healers.

Yew had telt Thomas what Falcon had said, and in response Thomas said, “I’ll put him on the list.” He went on to explain, “Will wishes the reluctants placet(30) as far away from the Keep as possible. He suggests we give them no choices, but place them in crafts where the crafters will be able to deal with any problems they present in such a way the problems can’t return to the Keep and hurt any.” Yew who knew exactly what Will meant by that nodded in agreement.

Thomas continued, “Gosellyn wishes the dryt(31) out drinkns,(32) one of whom collapst(33) lastday(34) and is one of the reluctants, and the surviving addicts with them. We still have eight out of the nine addicts, the woman dien, but she considers by nextday(35) there will only be six left, and those will survive. She wishes the drinkns placet where there will be no drink available. Your pill popper can join them. I suggest we leave all the lot till nextday, when I shall arrange a meeting with Will and all the appropriate folk. They will have to be which ever senior Mistresses or Masters loggers, miners and seafarers are available to represent their crafts who will be able to suggest the placements and the crafters capable of taking what ever steps are necessary.”

“If I were you, Thomas, I’d let Will and Dad deal with that meeting,” Yew suggested.

Thomas realising the implications of what Yew had just said, and happy to leave it to Will and Pilot, said, “Yes, a good suggestion, Yew.”

“How many does that leave for us to look at now?” Yew asked.

“Fourteen,” replied Thomas, pushing the files they were not going to look at away, and opening the first one of the fourteen. Twelve of the fourteen files were of men with naught to make them remarkable one way or the other. Though nine of the twelve of the men had expressed a preference for working outside, but with no particular craft preference, several of them had mentioned growing as something they had done before. Thomas suggested, and Yew concurred, they be left to Alsike and her growers. The three others had expressed interest in three recognised crafts, and all were easy to match with appropriate craft Masters for an afternoon meeting.

Gerald one of the other two said he had been a craft grower, he called himself a farmer, and he had an interviewers’ note in his file saying he was an unpleasant and aggressively argumentative man. The remaining man Patrick was more problematical. The notes said he referred to himself as a headteacher which apparently meant he directed the activities of other teachers in a large establishment which had no other function than to teach the young. He too had experience of growing and as with Gerald it was decided to leave him to the growers. He too had an interviewers’ note in his file which said he had been arrogant and contemptuous of the Folk. All the information on the notes would be passed on to the growers with a request the Master at arms office be kept informed as to both of the newfolks’ progress. It was however decided before Gerald and Patrick were passed over to the growers they would be interviewed that afternoon.

Yew left saying, “I’m glad that was done faster than I considert(36) it could be. I can catch up on some of the things I haven’t done for three days. I’ll be back after lunch for the meetings.”

Thomas, who had a backlog of things, mostly connected with the incursion, to do too, said, “I’ll meet with you later in the big chamber.”

Lovage had agreed to stand in for Rowan with Hazel, Gosellyn and Siskin that day, since Rowan had gone to the meeting of Gina and the Healers, and was taking Gina to Lunch to meet Jonas and his children. Hellebore was going to take Lovage’s place as the senior interviewer in the afternoon. The four women with thirty-four files to go through were kept busy for much longer than the men had been. True they had no problems of the sort the men had, but as with lastday’s work load they came across many distressed women who had left children and husbands behind. They were busier with prospective introductions to men and families than they were with craft placements. The craft placements were for the most part relatively straight forward.

The more challenging and potentially more valuable crafts had been dealt with lastday, and they didn’t anticipate any surprises in the afternoon. By lunchtime they had prepared a list of the men they wished to be invited to the dinner and dance, and also one of who they thought should be introduced to whom, and they had passed it over to the Master at arms staff for execution. The list had five folkbirtht men seeking a wife for every newfolk woman and roughly the same ratio of Folk family members seeking other family members to incomers wanting a family placement. They knew the Master at arms staff would add to the total guest list to even up the numbers and create a workable social event, and they felt reasonably satisfied with their forenoon’s work when they went for lunch.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003160

MAY I CHANGE TRUTH

LUNCH TO MID-AFTERNOON JOAN (26) AND BRÆTH (28)

30th of Towin Day 3

Lunchtime arrived and Erik returned with Bræth, one of his co-workers. To Joan, Bræth seemed a shy twenty-eight year old man of medium highth(37) and slender build with shoulder longth(38) dark hair who applied himself to his lunch. When the men left the table to go back to their workshop Bræth expressed gratitude to Nell for the food and smiled at Mayblossom and Joan muttering a somewhat incoherent good bye.

“Bræth was taken with you wasn’t he?” Nell said to Joan.

Joan went bright red and replied, “He’s shy that’s all.”

“He’s never been shy with me before,” Mayblossom retorted, “It looks as if we both need the services of Mum. You for Bræth and I for Mazun.”

Nell laught, but seeing the stricken expression on Joan’s face said carefully, “There’s no need to be upset, Dear. That’s probably why your dad bringen(39) him home for lunch. Your dad is a crafty old fox, and he can’t resist meddling, but his heart is in the right place. I know you’re worryt(40) concerning what we should think because you only just joint us, but you will always be our daughter. Now stop worrying, and let happen what will happen. You needet Breve and us and Truth too, and you will need a man as Mayblossom does, only his mum and I may have to do a bit more work there.”

The three women laught and Joan’s colour slowly went down. Nell continued, “Bræth’s a pleasant, hard working young man. He apprenticed to your dad when he was threeteen(41) and chose to carry on with him once he achieved Mastery. Shall I tell you of him because he was taken with you? And you will be crafting with him too once you and the babes have settelt(42) in.”
“Yes please,” Joan replied considerably less embarrassed after Nell’s somewhat acute assessment of her feelings, “but I still find it difficult to accept the willingness of the Folk to take in strangers, and even more a woman with children.”

“It’s the way we are. The way we have to be,” Mayblossom insisted. “Folk are all precious, and women with children or pregnant women are even more so. Your adoption of Truth has maekt you even more desirable as a wife. Bræth or any other man would regard himself as lucky to have reacht(43) agreement with you.”

“All Mayblossom has sayt(44) is true,” Nell agreed, “but also we gain too because we are your family whether you live here or no, and of course you gain because of the extra kinsfolk you have from us and from your future man. But any hap, you wish to know of Bræth.” Nell spake for twenty minutes of Bræth when she said, “I can hear Breve and Truth too from the sound of it. You feed Breve, and I’ll change Truth, and then we can swap because no doubt Breve will need changing after being fedd.”(45)

“May I change Truth? I know what to do,” Mayblossom asked. The procedures were agreed upon, and after both babes had been fed and changed Nell went to make leaf. Just as Nell had maekt the leaf her sister and niece arrived with three other women who were introduced to Joan as good neighbours: kith. The whole matter of Mazun and Bræth, the two babes, Joan’s diet and a second crib was re-discussed. By which time both babes wished to be fed again, and in this environment of female solidarity Joan had never felt as happy, secure and accepted. The event had completed making Folk out of her, and Nell was pleased to hear her spaech(46) beginning to become more like that of the Folk because she believed it was indicative of Joan’s acceptance of her new life.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003170

FAMILY PLANNING

NEARLY MIDDAY JUDITH AND STORM

30th of Towin Day3

When Judith awoke the forenoon was advanced, and she was lying on her side with Storm snuggled behind her fitting tightly gainst her as if they were a pair of spoons. His arm was over her with his hand on her breast. Her slight movement must have awakened him because he caressed her breast and nipple before sitting up and declaring with a leer, “You are the best thing I’ve awoken to for a long time. Would you object too much if I presuemt(47) to take advantage of your body, my dear?”

“I may renege on the whole deal if you don’t, my love,” responded Judith, reaching for him. When they finally decided their agreement had been formalised sufficiently to consider other matters, Judith asked, “What are we going to do about a family then, Storm? Besides trying to get me pregnant I mean.”

“I suggest we eat an early lunch,” replied Storm, “and go down to the Master at arms offices to register our request for grandparents. There are enough empty chambers in this tower for us to take what ever we need. The question is do you have any preferences?”

“How do you mean?” asked Judith.

“A large family could provide a requirement for two grandparents. That is if we can find them, because they will be in great demand. We could find two grandfathers, two grandmothers or one of each who are probably not going to be a couple, though it could happen eventually.”

“I hadn’t thought about it. But it doesn’t matter to me. I had bad relationships with my parents, so as long as we get along it will be an improvement to my life.”

“If we adopt a large family, and I presume you weren’t joking when you sayt six lastnight,(48) Judith?”

“Yes, I wasn’t joking,” said Judith.

“With six children if we don’t find grandparents that means both of us can’t work at the same time. One of us will have to look after them, and we shall need to adopt at least one older child so as to help. The one of us whose work is of the lower priority at any instant will have to be with the family, which will probably be me for three quarters of the time. That’s because to start with repairing the mills will be a higher priority than dressing stones. Making new stones will definitely be a low priority for a long time, and if as Briar suggestet(49) the new mill is built you will be in great demand all the time till it’s finisht,(50) but I don’t care if you don’t?”

Somewhat taken aback, because she hadn’t considered that aspect of the matter, Judith thought awhile, but replied, “Yes, I don’t mind either, but we shall need some time together for me to learn to dress the stones, and I’ll be damned before I allow Castle to turn me into an absentee wife. I’m your wife, and I wish to be pregnant. You can’t do that from the wrong side of the river. Besides whether I’m already pregnant or no, I like making love with you and I refuse to be short changed for a bloody watermill. And what happens when I am pregnant and later nursing?”

Storm didn’t understand all the details of Judith’s spaech, but he understood exactly what she meant and was entirely in agreement with her views. “It’ll not be quite that bad all the time,” replied Storm. “The millers’ families will help to look after children if it makes the difference between having the work done in three days or a lune, and of course they could take it as a favour oewt(51) or better we could negotiate it as part of the price. What I’m asking is do you still wish to adopt six even if we can’t find grandparents? If so, it would be best to tell the Master at arms staff we wish grandparents, and then go to the healers immediately for the children, and if you end up having another six,” Storm lovingly placed one hand on her breast and the other on her stomach, “I’ll be one of the happiest men on Castle.” With the last, he kissed her lingeringly and lovingly, but definitely not passionately.

The last of Storm’s remarks and his gentle kiss had worked powerfully on Judith’s emotions, and with moist eyes she slowly replied, “I want you and the children, and I am prepared to do what ever I have to in order to make it work.” She kissed Storm the way he had kissed her and said, “If we’re going to eat we’d better dress because you’ll have to shew me where everything is, and then let’s get down to the Master at arms offices.”

They prepared the food and ate it hurriedly both eager to visit the Master at arms offices, and make a start on their new life together. Judith was happy she was embarking on the kind of life she hadn’t even been able to dream of: a man who was a man by her standards, caring, loving and hard working, children in a world where children mattered, a society where a woman interested in mills was regarded as an asset not a freak, but most importantly a woman. Storm, now finally able to move on after the tragedy of the loss of his family, was looking forward to a new love and a new family with a woman who for him was the epitome of woman Folk, despite her newfolk status and so recent arrival from another world.

Word Usage Key

1 Dien, died.
2 Maekt, made.
3 Mannert, mannered.
4 Thiseve, this evening.
5 Riandet, a matter of no consequence.
6 Needet, needed.
7 Mongst, amongst.
8 Slightth, slightness.
9 Skirtt, skirted.
10 Lacet, laced.
11 Berount, around.
12 Breastet, breasted.
13 Bosomt, bosomed.
14 Wearn, worn.
15 Occurt, occurred.
16 Thisnight, tonight.
17 Midwifes, midwives.
18 Uest, used.
19 Deadth, death.
20 Spaken, spoken.
21 Spaek, speak.
22 Discusst, discussed.
23 Thisday, today
24 Askt, asked.
25 Braek, break.
26 Prepaert, prepared.
27 Savt, saved.
28 Lifes, lives.
29 Callt, called.
30 Placet, placed.
31 Dryt, dried.
32 Drinkn, noun a drunk, plural drinkns.
33 Collapst, collapsed.
34 Lastday, yesterday.
35 Nextday, tomorrow.
36 Considert, considered.
37 Highth, height.
38 Longth, length.
39 Bringen, brought.
40 Worryt, worried.
41 Threeteen, thirteen.
42 Settelt, settled.
43 Reacht, reached.
44 Sayt, said.
45 Fedd, fed, past tense.
46 Spaech, speech.
47 Presuemt, presumed.
48 Lastnight, last night.
49 Suggestet, suggested.
50 Finisht, finished.
51 Oewt, owed.

up
24 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos