Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2408

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2408
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I woke to the doorbell being rung, I glanced at the clock as I sat up in bed. It was six in the morning, light, but not the time I usually rose. The doorbell rang again and I pulled on a cardigan as I stumbled downstairs. The bell rang again. Whoever it was I was going to give a piece of my mind, assuming I could actually spare it.

I unbolted the door and unlocked the mortise then pulled open the old oak door. I was face to face with a policeman. Immediately my heart rose and stuck in my throat—Simon or Sammi?

“Are you Lady Cameron?” he asked, and my knees nearly gave way.

“Yes.”

“Might I come in?”

Shock had caused me to hesitate, “Of course, sorry, still half asleep.”

He entered the kitchen following behind me. “Lovely house you have here.”

“Yes, it’s my father’s.”

“I see, what a brill kitchen, don’t show my wife she’ll tell me we need to move again.”

“I filled and switched on the kettle.”

“I’m sure you didn’t get me up at six o’clock to look round my kitchen.”

“Ah, no. P’raps you’d better make your tea first.”

“That sounds like bad news—you’ll have a cup?”

“Won’t say no—an’ yeah, I have some bad news.”

I decided I could wait until I was seated with a cup of tea before hearing whatever the bad news was. So five minutes later I sat myself down opposite him, aware that in my haste I’d forgotten to pull some slippers on and my feet felt cold.

The bad news was for Phoebe, somehow Neal had made a rope from strips of torn bed sheet and had hanged himself on the back of the door of his cell. There would be an enquiry and due to the fact he was seen as vulnerable, some heads would roll as a consequence. I wasn’t impressed.

“Do you want me to rouse Phoebe so you can tell her, or d’you want me to break the news?”

“As I’ve informed her foster parent, I’ll leave that to you if it’s okay?” It’s peculiar how the dirty jobs seem to always land on my desk.

“I presume there’ll be an inquest?”

“Yes, ma’am, the coroner has been informed. Funny he should do the same as his wife.”

“And which you were investigating?”

“Yeah, so I believe—oh well, another one sorted.”

“Is it? D’you really think so?”

“Is for us,” he took a very pragmatic view.

“It isn’t for the rest of us. He was a colleague of mine at the university, so was his wife. I foster his sister—it isn’t over for us, one bit.”

“Yeah, sorry, didn’t mean it like that. I meant as he can’t tell us or be prosecuted, no point in pursuing the investigation of his wife’s death.”

“You mean you thought he could be prosecuted as he was—he was quite ill, has been since his wife died.”

“Yeah, but that could be faked or guilt.”

“Did you ever meet him?”

“Er—no.”

“I did several times, he wasn’t faking it.”

“I respect your um—greater knowledge of him.”

“Thank you for that. I’m also fostering his baby daughter—goodness she’s an orphan.”

“Yeah, I s’pose she is with both of ’em dead.”

“Whit’s happened?” asked Tom entering the kitchen.

“Neal is dead.”

“Whit?”

“He hanged himself.”

“I thought ye lot were supposed tae be watching him,” he accused the young copper.

“Yeah, there’ll be an enquiry.”

“I shud think sae.”

“I’d best be off,” said the young officer before beating a hasty retreat.

“Hae ye telt Phoebe?”

“Not yet.”

“Shall I go and get her f’ ye?”

“No, I’ll get her, Daddy.”

“Aye, alricht, I’ll bide here awhile.”

“Okay.” He gave me a hug and I went upstairs. Phoebe was awake.

“It’s Neal, isn’t it?”

“Yes.”

“Has he succeeded?”

“Yes.”

“Thought he would eventually. What are you going to do with Lizzie?”

“What would you like me to do?”

“Will you keep her?”

“Is that what you’d like?”

“Please, Mummy.”

“I’ll talk to Simon.”

“Thank you.”

“I’m sorry, sweetheart.” She got out of bed and he hugged then we both wept.

“I knew he’d do it one day.”

“I must admit it doesn’t surprise me very much. We did try to tell the police he was a suicide risk.”

We sat on the bed and I held her for several minutes. “You’re all I have now,” she said quietly.

“You still have Lizzie.”

“Yeah, but you know what I mean—none of my original family survive, I’m so glad you agreed to let me live with you, Mummy.”

“I’m rather glad you asked to come to us. You’re a lovely young woman and it’s a privilege to have you here.”

She clung to me tightly and sobbed, I could do nothing but hold her and gently rub her back.

Noises in the distance meant her niece had woken. “I’d best go and see to her.” I said as I eased myself from Phoebe’s grasp.

“Yeah, better had.”

“Will you be all right?”

“Yeah, gotta be, haven’t I?”

“I’ll tell Julie.”

“Okay—thanks—an’ Mummy?”

“Yes, sweetheart?”

“Thanks for being there for me.”

“It’s my privilege, if not my pleasure this time.”

Moments after I told Julie what had happened she was down hugging Phoebe and I went to sort out the baby, who for some reason had quietened down again, then I saw Meems, lifting her out of the cot and walking towards me. “You took youw time, Mummy,” she scolded.

“I had to give Phoebe some bad news.”

“Oh yeah, wossat then?”

“Her brother Neal has just died.”

“Does ’at mean we can keep the baby?” She sounded pleased by the possibility.

“Meems, this baby’s daddy has just died.”

“So? Can we keep hew?”

Some days I didn’t understand my children and some days, I’m not sure I wanted to. Today, I understood perfectly what Mima was saying, but I don’t think I felt very happy with it.

I took the baby off her and we went down to the kitchen where I fed her watched by Mima who was feeling her own chest and expressing a silent disgust that she was too young to breastfeed. I felt like telling her to be patient. Had she been able at nine to do so, by thirty her breasts would be knocking on her knees. Not a pretty sight or thought. I did let her help me change the baby after we’d bathed her.

Over the next hour I watched all the rest of the family rise and come down for breakfast, Julie, who’d left Phoebe to Danni to sit with, had come down and gone off to the salon. She’d have to get some extra help or cancel people.

Once Jacquie had taken over from me, I replaced Danni with the grieving Phoebe and told her to see if she could help out at the salon. Half an hour later she was cadging a lift from Tom to do just that. It was nice to see the family pulling together during an hour of need, and even though none of them, except Phoebe and Lizzie were biologically related, they acted as if they were—in fact better than, some natural families.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
211 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

They say "you can't choose your family"

but in this case, "It was nice to see the family pulling together during an hour of need, and even though none of them, except Phoebe and Lizzie were biologically related, they acted as if they were—in fact better than, some natural families."

Proving to all that they really are a family in all ways that count. Hope we aren't about to see more garbage from child welfare "services" about the now orphan Lizzie.

Surprised that the cop was willing to hang around as long as he did at Cathy's home. Hasn't he heard about her reputation?

"in fact better than, some

"in fact better than, some natural families"

True indeed.

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

*sighs*

Why do I think Neal had help...

Thanks,
Annette

Even if you believe everyone hates you...

You can't leave this life without hurting someone. I suppose that perhaps it is a question of how much you really care for others, can we hold out and stand the strain, keeping in mind that most of those around us suffer at times and sometimes more than us.

Gwen

I have to say I am very

I have to say I am very displeased with the "ho hum" attitude of this officer. He is NOT in my humble opinion showing any respect for either the family members, close friends, or the deceased regardless of how Neal died. If I were Cathy, I would very definitely be informing the Chief Inspector of this, so corrective action could be taken. I would also be on their case about their "blowing off" the very real and legitimate concerns voiced by both Cathy, Phoebe, and others about Neal's mental state.

If Cathy can adopt Lizzie, maybe she can also adopt Phoebe, even though she is much older and technically an adult. It is not a strange thing in the legal world however to see something like that happen. Not unusual, definitely rare, but is done. Be a good thing for James to check into.

Neal's method of committing suicide is also not as rare or strange as it may seem. Quite a few of those types of deaths are caused exactly in that manner, especially in mental, jail, and prison facilities.

Several years ago, in my jail, we had an intoxicated prisoner who actually tried to hang himself on the short cord that went from the phone box to the receiver. He did so by wrapping the cord around his neck and then hanging up the phone receiver, and then just letting himself drop down. Luckily, one of my officers making cell checks saw his actions, just as he was allowing his body to drop, before he did any damage to himself, and we were able to get to him in less than a minute.
What shocked us most about his actions, is we had just two days before, shorted the cord from a normal length one (36 inches), to a real short one (18 inches), just to prevent such as this from happening.

Believe me when I say this, the investigation proceedings and inquest hearing into a successful suicide, especially in a facility setting; is NOT something that anyone reading this ever wants to have to go through. VERY intense full stop.

Also very, very sadly, but true; if an person is totally intent on committing suicide, they WILL eventually succeed, no matter how much is done to try and prevent them from doing so. They may be stopped at one instance, but others will raise their ugly heads along the way.
Janice Lynn

Great writing Ang.

Well done Angharad, This was great writing on a very difficult subject.

Whilst we always seek answers as to why, we are likely to remember small problems and give them inflated prominence as a 'reason'.

In truth we will never truly know.

I hope there was no one else involved in Neal's death, but hey it is your story to tell. As an avid reader I will not second guess but wait patiently to see how it unfolds.

Love to all

Anne G.

In the end ...

it was almost predictable that Neal would choose the course of action he did, Who knows what was going on in his mind, The poor man was clearly troubled,So much so that even the Camerons money was unable to help..

You do have to feel a lot of sympathy for Phoebe the poor girl through no fault of her own is left without any close relations, Thank goodness then for Cathy and her family, If its love and a feeling of belonging that matters then that is something the Camerons have an unlimited supply of

Then of course we have to consider Lizzie, She may not have her birth parents to look after her whilst she grows up, But at least she has Cathy, Simon , Tom and the girls who will always be there for her...

As for the questions surrounding Neal, Its difficult to see how progress can be made and you cannot help but think the police will not be putting a huge amount of effort in to discover the truth..

Kirri

Just as I

Questioned whether Gloria had really committed suicide, same applies for Neal. There is something rotten in Denmark, and I don't mean fish at the docks.