Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2441

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2441
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

The hill known as Santa Agueda has had a chequered history being a farm and a fortress. It was originally occupied by the Romans who built a road up to the top and it later became a fortress when it was held by Arabs as part of the Caliph of Cordoba. It was overrun by King Alfons III of Aragon in 1287 and destroyed by his nephew in 1343. That’s what the guide book said, all I knew was it was a long and difficult climb with children.

We headed towards Ferreries and turned off to the right, parking at the bottom of the hill near the ruined property which looks as if it might have been a cafe or shop. The hill towered over us and Trish said loudly, “We’re going up that?”

“Yes,” I said handing her her backpack. The others took theirs without comment. I pulled on the baby carrier and loaded Lizzie into it, then my rucksack. Simon pulled on his rucksack and held Cate’s hand as we set off up the road and then a few yards later turned up the track. It’s very rough in places, and it seems quite obvious that the last people to pave the track were the Romans. It’s a national monument but they don’t seem to spend any money on it.

It wasn’t long before we had loads of moans and Simon was carrying Cate. If Trish had had her way, he’d have been carrying her as well. She dawdled and dithered as we tried to move up the hill, and twice I spoke sharply to her.

“Why can’t I stay here and you collect me on the way back?”

“Because we’ll be half an hour’s walk away, now stop moaning and get walking.”

“But I don’ wanna walk up this stupid hill, alright?”

“You don’t have a choice, young lady, now come along.”

“C’mon, Trish,” called Simon already fifty yards ahead.

I took her hand and practically dragged her up the rough, uneven path, stepping between boulders and ruts as we picked our way upwards.

“What’s the problem?” asked Simon.

“She doesn’t want to come.”

“Let her stay then,” said Simon. Trish almost danced around in triumph.

“We can’t, this is a very popular place, there could be all sorts about.”

“So, that’s her choice. If she gets murdered or abducted, it’s her fault not ours, we tried to explain the risks to her.”

“Murdered?” she gasped.

“Yeah, like your mother said there could be anyone about, locals, tourists—anyone.”

“But I’d be all right, wouldn’t I?” she said in a voice which tended to convey anything but conviction.

“Dunno, kiddo, but we’re not waiting for you any longer. See you later if you’re still here.” He winked at me and we continued walking towards Jacquie and Danni who were with all the others.

I glanced back and Trish had sat herself down on a large stone with her arms folded and a scowl on her face.

“We can’t leave her,” I said to Simon.

“She’ll be along in a minute, you just wait.”

“This is Trish we’re talking about, more stubborn than a mule with superglue.”

“She’s nine, she’ll be along, you carry on, I’ll wait for her,” we were now out of sight of our recalcitrant daughter.

“I can’t, I’m going back for her,” I said imagining all sorts of disaster.

“If you do, she wins.”

“She’s won anyway, it’s not a game, Simon, this is our child we’re talking about.”

He muttered something under his breath and stormed back down the hill towards her. I simply stood and waited. Then my blood pressure went through the roof when I heard him calling her name. Surely she hadn’t had something happen already, it was only two minutes. Panic stricken, I turned and went as quickly as I could back down the track, several times nearly falling in the process. Neither were visible as I rounded the bend and I began to wonder if my blood pressure rose any higher, I’d have a stroke.

I called both their names looking to right and left as I descended, when suddenly they both emerged from behind a hedge and stood in front of me. “Where have you been?” I shouted at them tears running down my face, and waking up Lizzie who was crying as well.

“I had to go for a poo.” Trish stared at the track as she spoke.

“Why didn’t you just say that?”

“I just did,” she said angrily.

“Is that why you didn’t want to come with us?”

“Yes.”

“All you had to say was you needed to go, I’d have waited for you.”

“Huh, you usually tell me off about pollution and asked me why I didn’t go before we left home.”

“I can assure you, I would not.” What did these kids think I was, an eco-fascist?

“Um, you might, babes.”

“Oh for god’s sake,” I turned on my heel and nearly fell over before I strode away trying to see through the tears which refused to stop leaking from my eyes. Lizzie was still crying as well and I felt like throwing myself off the top when we got there. I knew I wouldn’t but I felt betrayed by both my husband and my daughter, combining to deliver a double whammy.

For the next twenty minutes, I stumbled on ahead as the path got worse and then suddenly better, as we edged round what was once some sort of meadow. Up ahead I could see the others and behind me I knew that Simon and Trish were walking hand in hand. I realised that Jacquie or Danni must be carrying Cate as she’d never walk this far, because Simon didn’t have her—did he? I turned and watched the two behind me, they were holding hands and in earnest conversation about something. He certainly didn’t have Cate.

“Where’s Cate?” I called down to him.

“What?”

“Where’s Cate, you were carrying her?”

“With Jacquie, isn’t she?”

This was turning into a nightmare. I started to run to catch them up. Now the path was mettled, cobbles and slabs laid by the Romans which wound around the beginnings of retaining walls. The hove into sight and I called to them, “Have you got Cate?”

Roman_road_of_Santa_Agueda.jpg

The Roman road at Santa Agueda.(Photo courtesy of Wiki)

Jacquie hoisted her up in front of her. I began to cry from relief. My legs and back were aching from the load I was carrying, the exertion of having run about two or three hundred yards uphill, and the heat. I slowed to a crawl sniffing and sobbing as I went. I felt exhausted and despite being with nearly all my family, I felt very alone.

For the first time in two weeks, I couldn’t wait to get home. Suddenly the order of work and home appealed tremendously. This was a foreign country, I didn’t know it very well and the fears I’d have had if we’d mislaid a child at home were magnified by ten.

I wiped my eyes and struggled on.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
230 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great story

I think Cathy is going to need a holiday after this one. Sometimes being back in your 'normal' environment comes as a pleasant surprise.

Kind of reminds me

of the time we stopped at a service area on the M5 (motorway)My wife and children all wandered off to use the loo's, Not needing that i decided to look at the magazines in the newsagents, Two minutes later my wife was back in a very agitated state "where's Megan" (our eldest daughter who was around 3 at the time), We both rushed out looking for her, I went towards the cafe area, My wife however ran straight back to check the toilet area, Trouble was in her agitated state she went into the mens room, seconds later she was back out again (she told me later there were a few men who were shouting at her) Still no sign of Megan by that time i had arrived back in the foyer area, At that moment our missing daughter reappeared, Seems the bright lights of the slot machines had attracted her attention.... We were both so relieved at finding her again safe and sound, But the though of what might have happened made us both shudder..

So yes i can totally sympathise with Cathy those few moments when our daughter was missing are not a time i would care to relive ever again, Too lose two in the space of five minutes does not bear thinking about....

Kirri

Kudos by the dozens, my

Kudos by the dozens, my Kudos link apparently is on the side of not wanting to work today (weekend and all that, you know).

Vacations (holidays) are not always what they start out as. Cathy has or is finding this out, apparently the hard way. She needs to be off on her own, in a safe place, for a week or so; then she will actually get some peace, quiet, and rest, like she wanted in the beginning.
It is amazing that the roads the Romans built some 2,000 years ago, are still in use in many parts of the European, Middle Eastern and MED regions.
None of the countries today, including the US can match their road making skills, as it would cost them way too much money to do so.
What is also amazing is the fact that train tracks of today are sized at the same standard that Roman chariots had for their wheelbase (4feet 8inches).
Plus the Roman concrete of 2000 years ago is still considered better than our own modern concrete.
It has been shown to be stronger, more water proof, and in general better all around.

I can't find any

Roman roads that is. Can't find even one yard of them. I wonder what happened to those roads? I thought that the Romans had gotten quite far?

Gwen

Great Episode

Well done Angharad.

This episode was so true to life. Cathy sense of relief and frustration in equal measures is very draining. I hope the writer doesn't feel it as much.

Great writing Ang.

Love to all

Anne G.