Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2455

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dogmouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2455
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
DSCF0384.jpg

“I can’t believe I work for a titled woman,” said Delia as I drove us all back from the restaurant. Daddy was still cross that he’d snorted Guinness all over his suit from my throwaway remark. Remembering that he had quite an important meeting that afternoon he made me run him home so he could change. We drew up outside the house and Delia said, “You live here?”

“Yes, it’s only a house.”

“It’s twice the size of my parents and they have a three bed detached house.”

“We did have to make it bigger when the children came.”

“How many have you got?”

“Let’s see, there’s Sammi, Julie, Jacquie, Danielle, Trish, Livvie, Mima, Cate, with Phoebe and Lizzie the latest additions.”

“You have ten children?”

“Yes.”

“But you can’t be older than twenty seven.”

“I’m thirty, but confess they were all adopted.”

“You adopted ten children?”

“No, it was eleven originally but one died from a brain haemorrhage.”

“Your husband must be very wealthy to afford to keep ten or eleven children.”

“The older ones support themselves.”

“You adopted older children?”

“Yes, Sammi is twenty two, Julie is twenty, Jacquie is twenty one, then Danni is thirteen, Trish and Livvie are nine, Mima is eight, Cate is four and Lizzie is coming up one.”

“How can you work all day with a one year old baby?”

“Jacquie is doing a distance learning degree, she babysits while I’m in work and in return, I pay for her degree.”

“I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone like you, Professor.”

“Well professors are allowed to be a bit eccentric.”

“Is Professor Agnew really your dad? I mean if your maiden name is Watts, why isn’t it Agnew?”

“He adopted me after my parents died.”

“But you didn’t change your name?”

“No, I was twenty two at the time and didn’t consider it was necessary.”

She sat there looking at me and the house, shaking her head every now and again. “Isn’t twenty two, too old to be adopted?”

“Probably, but he was so nice to me, more like a father than my biological one had been, and he told me I reminded him of his deceased daughter whose name was also, Catherine. She was killed years before by a drunk driver. His wife, who had MS died from a broken heart a year or two later.”

Tom emerged from the house. “Samantha is home, are ye no gang tae see her?”

I glanced at my watch, “Okay,” I stepped out of the car and invited Delia to accompany me. Sammi was seated in the kitchen talking with Jackie, while Cate sat on her lap and cuddled her. It was Cate who squealed, ‘Mummy’ and woke everyone up, making Delia shudder just a little.

I made the introductions and Sammi told me she felt so much better to be home. They’d been very nice at the hospital but home was better. She was going to do some work from home that afternoon if she felt up to it. I told her not to bother, the bank would survive another day without her.”

“I promised Daddy I’d try and do an update for their firewall.”

“You work for a bank?” Delia asked her.

“Yeah, Mum and Dad are directors.”

“Cameron—bank, jeez, that’s High Street, isn’t it?”

“Yeah, no big deal, someone’s got to own it.”

“But the Camerons are billionaires.”

“So—it’s only money,” said Sammi not realising that very few people could say that because they had such a good job or wealthy family.

“Yeah, only money,” she sighed.

I caught a small amount of he conversation but declined to get involved. Simon’s wealth had been a problem for me at one point, now I accepted because I couldn’t do anything about it. I stopped complaining about it once I realised how hard Si worked for his money and besides, he’d always had huge amounts in his family compared to most people, so it would be the exact opposite for him.

When Delia saw the photo of Stanebury Castle, looking like something from a fairy tale, part of me wished Danni were here to tell her all about it. I balked, feeling self conscious about the wealth that had created it earlier. I think I felt a degree of shame about it.

“Wow, my boss owns her own castle,” she repeated as she stumbled out to the car.

It’s nice to make an impression on people, especially a good one. I’m not entirely sure that opulence is necessarily a good one. I’ve become used to the material things around me including being able to do things ordinary people can’t—like chartering a private plane or helicopter if we need to. For most people that option isn’t available. At the same time I’m not materialistic, I do value things I have, like my bikes and the dormouse Si had made for me, but my children and the adults in the family are my most treasured things. I can’t say possessions because we can’t own another person, I’m not even sure we own animals, just have responsibility for their welfare.

“Do you stay at the castle every year?” Delia interrupted my reverie.

“Uh, sorry?”

“The castle, d’you stay there very often?”

“No, it’s cold and damp and costs a fortune to run. The last time I was there the daughter of an estate worker hanged herself over a dispute with her dad. It was very sad.”

“How awful.”

“It was, she’d become good friends with Danni and Danni was very upset about it.”

“What would make a young woman kill herself?”

“Lots of things including religious parents.”

“Oh. I hadn’t thought that happened nowadays.”

“It does and it isn’t related to a single religion, all of them give instruction in tolerance but then practice very narrow forms where everything is criticized and retribution sudden and lethal.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
260 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Have to agree

with Cathy there, To many problems in this world are caused by a strict interpretation of text which was in most cases was written many centuries ago , The relevance to modern society is at best tenuous and the pain and hurt it causes when it is applied to todays world causes untold misery and suffering.... Sadly the chances of sanity taking over in our lifetimes seem at best remote , If not impossible.

Kirri

Strict interpretation of text

which was written many centuries ago and badly translated several times by people who had various agendas.

Religion and the TG community

Dahlia's picture

As a very sincere Christian, I have read each and every chapter in this series. At times it pains me to read the negativity which is written about in regards to God, Christ and the idea that it is all bunk or a waste of time. That being said, I completely agree with the assessment that "...isn’t related to a single religion, all of them give instruction in tolerance but then practice very narrow forms where everything is criticized and retribution sudden and lethal." I was raised in a religious cult with one man dictating what was taught, arranging marriages and all the crap that goes with it. I survived and left my beliefs for many years. In part because I could not come to terms with my own internal struggles as an un-admitted transsexual woman in relation to by dogma laced/poisoned religious upbringing and indoctrination. That being said, I have finally come back to the core of what my Christian beliefs are in the last year. Not because I fear death or feel I am better than the common person out there but because I try my best to just do what Jesus taught, love all and accept that no matter how hard I or anyone else tries, I am a frail, weak person at my core and I can't be like the majority of the 'religious' people in the world. As a child I was taught a song, a children's song, which says "Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world." I am one of those children and I know he loves me and that makes it all worth while.

As a whole the transgender community, world wide, is looked upon as having something as bad as the lepers in the days of the bible. I feel sad that this is so and I know that if Jesus were to walk the earth today, he would be found amongst the HIV, GLBT, drug users, alcoholics, homeless and every other 'low life' as per those pious, self righteous church goers we live with today feel and believe. They would mock and turn Him away the same as was done 2000 + years ago.

Thanks again for this wonderful story Angharad. I look forward to every chapter. It gives me a few moments of peace in a hectic world as I just sit down to read for a few minutes. May you be blessed!

Dahlia

Do you think Cathy's secretary

is a bit awed? Too bad the kids weren't around to show that this is a real home... or that Lizzie decided it was time for a feed. As Cathy says, "I'm just an ordinary Mom."

Cathy could give lessons to

Cathy could give lessons to many of those who are ultra wealthy or simply wealthy and believe they should be the end all and be all of others lives. She knows she has money, but she definitely does not flaunt it others faces. Nor does she use her married name and title to 'lord over' (pun intended) others. Actually the only times she has used her title and position is when she has confronted officious jerks who believe they are to be bowed to at all times, just because of their job or position. Then she proves them quite wrong.

"No big deal, someone’s got to own it.”

Athena N's picture

Giggles.

Also, her final comment on religion is quite good: "all of them give instruction in tolerance but then practice very narrow forms". Too bad she has fallen into following yet another fundamentalist, one who preaches a militant (and often strongly misogynist) form of atheism.

Wow...

Were I to come into that kind of money, I'd hope I'd never get to the point where I could say "oh, it's just money"... Or even think it. Whew...

I hope Delia doesn't overinflate Cathy (though, I'll admit that'd be harad to do)... But then, she doesn't have the "entire picture" yet... Interesting though. Thanks for letting a smart outsider sorta share her reactions with us.

Thanks,
Annette

Oy!

Whass'a dogmouse? LOLOL.

Still lovin' it.

bev_1.jpg

I firmly believe

that it isn't religion, per se, that is the problem, but rather organized religion that is the problem. An individual, or even a small group of believers, pose little threat. A large group, it seems that you divide the IQ of the lowest scoring individual by the number of people in the group, and you get the IQ of the group.

Eight years later

I am reading what you wrote. Some 2.7million or so words by my guess.

It is a wonderful series and I have 900 or so chapters still to go. I started with Gaby and it led to you, thankfully.

The future is ours to write

it's probably nearer 3 million

Angharad's picture

Glad you're enjoying it, some parts are better than others but I think it has something for everyone.

Angharad