Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2483

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2483
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“I don’t know if I can cope with being a professor,” I said to Simon.

“I don’t know,” he said rubbing my breast, “you’re nutty enough.”

“What?” I said knowing perfectly well what he said.

“You’re cuddly enough,” he now gently squeezed my left milk dispenser.

“Since when has that been a criterion?”

“Since now, gi’s a cuddle.”

“I’m trying to be serious, Si.”

“You’re too serious, too conscientious at times. You always doubt yourself...”

“I don’t do I?”

“Don’t you.” He took his hand off my tit and began counting on his fingers. “You didn’t think you’d make it as a woman, then you didn’t think you’d be any good as a wife, let alone one of an aristocrat. You are always doubting about your skills as a mother, but the kids are fine and love you to bits. You thought you’d never be able to get your doctorate—but here I am lying in bed with Dr Watts—do I need to continue?”

“Sorry, sometimes I lack a bit of self belief.”

“That has got to be the understatement of the century.”

“Oh I doubt that...” I said trying to wind him up.

“Going to start calling you Thomasina.”

“Why?”

“Duh—doubting Thomas...you bitch,” he said when I started to snigger. Needless to say the playfulness got more physical and my bike ride the next morning was less comfortable than it might have been.

I rose at seven, it was still quite dark and after a cuppa and a banana I set off on the Scott for a quick ten miler. The wind made it more challenging but I gave it my best shot and was back about forty minutes later. It wasn’t quite eight o’clock when I emerged from the bathroom to dry my hair and dress. Simon had gone back to sleep. I dressed quietly and took the hairdryer downstairs to do my hair.

“Come ’ere,” said Julie taking the brush from my hand and after adding mousse to my hair she styled it for me into a far more formal style than I would have. I thanked her but doubted it would keep its shape in the wind. I was wrong, because when we returned from shopping at lunch time, it was pretty much as it was when we went out. I decided I’d have to ask her how to do that.

Sammi had gone off to meet some boy she met online who was a computer designer or some such thing, he worked for IBM I think she said. I told her to be careful and stay in public areas, she said she was going with a friend to meet him. Did I believe her? I doubt it.

The afternoon was spent correcting Trish’s sewing. Livvie, Danni, Mima and I get together to practice our sewing and to eat chocolate—well the two go together, don’t they? Somehow Trish had got her embroidery all tangled up and it took me ages to sort it, during which time she was more interested in eating her share of the ‘Quality Street,’ than she was seeing how to undo her mistakes. I showed her several times but she wasn’t listening, so had she learned—I doubt it. However, Danni’s use of the sewing machine was coming on beautifully, and she was over-sewing seams to lie flat, and stopping edges running where we’d cut them—it was rewarding to see this girl really take to it. I might just have one daughter who enjoys sewing, after all.

It certainly wasn’t Meems, who got her knickers twisted trying to alter one of her dolly’s dresses and ended up throwing on the floor and stamping out in a temper. I let her go, she was too angry to try and show her why what she was trying to do wouldn’t work. Livvie sat quietly hemming a pair of trousers we’d shortened between us. Danni had sewn on the bias binding with the machine and Livvie was finishing the hems after I’d helped her measure up and pin them.

She hadn’t been sitting quietly earlier. Then she’d asked me to shorten them for her and Simon had heard our conversation. “Shorten these for me, Mummy, will you?”

“Liv, it’s about time you learnt how to do this yourself.”

“I know what to do.”

“So why are you asking me then?”

“Like duh...why keep a dog an’ bark?”

“You’ll do them yourself, young lady,” insisted Simon. There were tears and protests and in the end I agreed to help her, so did Danielle, who is turning into a really nice big sister. To think she wasn’t sure about all the girl stuff before Pia modified her, and I still keep an eye on her because of it, but she seems at times to take to some aspects like a duck to water.

Since discovering boys and girls were different, I’ve never thought of myself as a boy but she is far more girly than I am. She wears very feminine styles much of the time, spends ages doing her hair or her nails or her makeup—she uses tons of the stuff—and is far more able than I am. I like to think her football keeps her fit and grounded in some ways as does the occasional ride with me.

I think some of her newly found femininity is due to having a boyfriend. She denies it but the others have seen her talking to some boy when she doesn’t think the others are about. He apparently saw her training with the ladies team and fancied her for her football skills—not many girls play like Danni, except possibly Trish and, well... Will it last? I doubt it, but then isn’t adolescence all about practicing relationship skills? Then coping when it all goes belly up, because it will. I accept the odd couple might have been together from junior school but they’re the exception and I’d feel more happy if she and the others had several relationships before they settled down with a long term partner.

I know I’m a total hypocrite because I married the first man I’d ever dated, so as for playing the field, I’ve never done it. I was lucky, very lucky. I doubt they will find Mr Perfect on a first date—even I didn’t realise it for some time despite Stella’s urging. It’s ironic she match made for us but can’t find someone herself. I hope someone does turn up, she deserves to be happy.

Julie seems wrapped up establishing her business. She and Phoebe have spoken of looking for bigger premises. When Phoebe finishes college in June, she wants to do more of the beauty therapy stuff, even though she won best stylist the other week. If you remember I presented the prizes after boring them all to tears.

They’ve both had quick flings with boys but it seems to have come to nothing. I expect they’ll find someone eventually, or I hope so, but they’re both young enough to give it time.

“How’s this look, Mummy? Should I try it on?” Danni brought me back to the task in hand.

“That is very good, darling, yes, run up and try it on and come back down for me to see.”

“Okay,” she said and scampered up the stairs. I doubt anyone would know she was a boy a year ago.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
252 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I Am So Happy

littlerocksilver's picture

... that Danni seems to be settling in as the person she really is. I am getting hints that she is becoming a young woman.

Portia

Relationships and growing up.

Yes, adolescence is all about exploring relationships, and one's own developments. Good to see that the children seem to be growing up balanced and self-confident. These can be important elements, (building blocks) in erecting one's persona and self esteem and also when reconstructing said personality. All these elements are of course doubly important when gender issues are present in any individual's life but it's excellent to have a proven mentor who has him or herself, 'walked the walk'.
Good chapter Ang.
Missed commenting for a few days cos' of extended and frenetic Halloween week-end.
As to your earlier observations about Halloween, wee-ell in my book it's just a huge opportunity to go overboard with 'dressing up- as opposed to just my normal full-time existence.
What the hell? We only live once!!

Still lovin' it.

x

bev_1.jpg

Guess she got..

I guess Cathy got lucky... That said, I married the second lady I dated more than once (and only the 6th person I ever dated)... And, 33+ years later, we're still married. I guess I got lucky, too.

I've seen my wife and the girls doing that kinda stuff sewing. The summer they did so many costumes for Gypsy and the next year for Susical were eye-openers...

I'm so glad Cathy's household hasn't had to deal with any major diseases (auto-immune, etc.), but then the severe things, the blue light seems to have dealt with - at least when it was others. Perhaps subconsciously Cathy's able to keep it at bay for her family.

Thanks for this bit of "life at the Camerons"... :-)
Annette

Pleased for Danni

At first after her enforced modification at Pia's hands i did worry that she was caught in a bad place, Thankfully it seems those fears were unfounded, Maybe her route to the other side of the gender fence was not something she ever envisaged, But it does seem that she is either a very good actress or very happy as she is .... I guess in the end only time will tell but at this moment in time Cathy must be a very happy mother indeed.

Kirri