Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2404

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2404
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

It was Monday morning and I had Trish and Livvie with me, we were ferrying stuff that I needed from my old and probably future room, up to Tom’s office. They had their iPads with them so they’d amuse themselves. Hilary was doing something in one of the labs but had said she would come and get them when she fed the dormice.

The deputy vice chancellor had called by to thank me for stepping in to fill the breach and had reassured me that he had every confidence in me. Tom had also called in to tell me to just put everything on hold for a month.

“What about bills and things?”

“Aye, alricht authorise payment.”

“And there are two posts vacant.”

“Aye, weel appoint on a temporary contract.”

“Can you do that?”

He shrugged.

“What if I call it a provisional appointment?”

He beamed at me, “Ye’ll mak a professor yet.”

“I don’t think I want to.”

“Ye said that aboot bein’ a lady.”

“I still do.”

“Aye, weel the rest o’ us think ye’re a natural.”

That was wrong on a number of levels but I wasn’t going to argue. Just before he went back to the dean’s office he gave the girls a bag of boiled sweets which I commandeered and gave them a couple each—otherwise it would spoil their lunch.

Pippa had left a pile of things for me to deal with in a chronological order, so it was easy if time consuming. I signed a few letters and the girls put them in their respective envelopes once I showed them how to fold them to fit the window envelopes and show the name and address of the recipient.

In no time it was lunch and Tom took us out to his usual watering hole. The girls were impressed to see the manager and staff knew us and what we’d order. They made a fuss of the girls who had a cheesy jacket potato and some horrid fizzy drink. It was so warm I just drank iced water.

I asked him about one or two things of which I was uncertain and he led me to my own solution which agreed with what he’d have done. It made me feel a little more confident in my abilities to wear his shoes for the interim.

I dealt with a few calls as well and we left at three, by which time I felt exhausted. Back at home I tried to give the others some time. Cate was being quite naughty which I suspect was to get my attention, especially as I was trying to feed Lizzie. Danni was out with Carly and Cindy and she didn’t come home until tea time. Tomorrow she had football training but when I mentioned it she said she’d remembered herself—it was on the kitchen calendar which bore most of our appointments.

Tuesday was like Monday only I had Danni and Mima with me. I worked through a pile of papers while they went off with Hilary to feed the dormice. Then lunch with their gramps and back home at three, where I did a couple of hours on the survey.

Simon arrived just in time for dinner and reminded me we had a director’s meeting the following week, could I cobble something together for the environmental department. I sent emails to my assistant asking for reports, I also asked Dan to give me a report on the field centre with photos.

Ah hour after Trish and the younger girls went to bed, I followed suit and was zonked long before Simon came up. He was gone before I got up and I did sometimes wonder why we bothered to marry, we rarely see each other.

Wednesday, we had a temp standing in for Pippa. I dictated some letters and she did some filing. Her best attribute was simply that she made tea exactly the way I like to drink it, hardly grounds for a pay rise, but it did compensate somewhat for her inexperience in running the office.

I was standing near her desk when she dealt with a caller. “Hello, department of biological science.” (Pause). “Professor Agnew isn’t here at the present, Dr Watts is standing in for him—yes, acting professor—no I’m afraid she’s in a meeting at the moment, might I take a message—very well.” She looked up at me, “Some tosser wanted to speak to the organ grinder not the monkey—his words not mine—name of Chris Sutton.”

I knew him back at Sussex, year ahead of me. He probably won’t remember me anyway unless it was as the only woman he didn’t bed. I congratulated Delia, our temp, and went back to the pile of papers on the desk.

Returning from lunch with Danni and Mima I was accosted by Chris Sutton, who replete in expensive suit, shoved a potted orchid in my hands. “Dr Watts, I presume.”

“I’m not sure that worked as a chat up line with Livingstone...” I retorted. He looked bewildered for a split second then began to laugh. “Very good, yes I like it.” I groaned inwardly, he hadn’t changed one bit. If only Trish were here she could have tied him up in knots with Quantum Theory, but she wasn’t—it was Danni who was.

“Mummy, can we see the dormice again?” asked Mima and Danni offered to take her down to the lab. Delia called Hilary who came and got them, she rolled her eyes at me and smirked as she left me to deal with Sutton.

“Dormice, there was a character at Sussex who was crazy about dormice, can’t remember if it was a boy trying to be a girl or a girl pretending to be a boy—weird—but quite harmless.”

“It was a girl trying to avoid tossers like you Mr Sutton.”

He looked aghast at me, then at the name on the door, which had been done as a temporary thing with a piece of card over Tom’s name. “Watts,” he read out loud, “It was you?”

“Your powers of deduction would leave Sherlock way behind,” I taunted.

“You’ve certainly blossomed, but surely you can’t be old enough to have a daughter the age of the older of those two.”

“Well she’s my daughter.”

He wasn’t sure what to say to that. Fate however intervened when Simon rang. “Professor, there’s a Lord Cameron on the phone.”

“I’ll take it in my office,” I looked at Sutton, “What did you want anyway?”

“To take you to lunch and over which discuss the sort of deals we might be able to offer on laboratory equipment.”

“I have to make savings of five per cent this coming year.”

“I can offer you better than that, ten to fifteen per cent off list prices.”

“Five per cent across the department.”

“Oh,” he said.

I handed him back his orchid, “Thank you but no thank you,” and retreated to my temporary office shutting the door behind me.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
229 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Welcome back!

I'll heartily endorse the above message... so glad to see you back and we all hope you're feeling a bit better.

Thank you for taking the time to feed us poor pathetic addicts.

Abby

Battery.jpg

Welcom back!

Like most of us, I grieved with you for your loss. And, like most of us, I awaited the return of my Daily Dormouse with patience and understanding.

The fact that AEAFOAB is back is great. It also signals that you are beginning to recover. I wish you all good things, and hope that you are feeling better each day.

Be weell, girl. My thoughts are with you.

Red MacDonald

Welcome back

That's all I can think of. Mere words fail me, but I am glad you're back.

Jo-Anne

Glad you and Bike are back.

Glad you and Bike are back. I do hope it is helping you to deal with your loss.

Hurray!

Dahlia's picture

So very glad you're back. Hope you are doing well. Missed your posts but know you have more than enough reason to just stop with this story. It has been so awesome but all things do end. That being said, I hope it goes on for another 10 years, lol.
Love Cathy'a new feisty persona. She has matured into quite the mover and shaker at the Uni. That along with her banking position gives the mousey young lady quite a bit of influence in her community whether she realizes it or not

Welcome Back

Angy; Glad to see your Back and great to see you brought Bike with you!

Richard

Welcome back Angharad

Rhona McCloud's picture

Your post today made me break my Bike rule of not reading ahead (I'm on episode 785) just to check you were ok. Glad to see you are in fine form so as my uploadeder isn't working hopefully click for a friend's bunch of roses

Rhona McCloud

Glad y're doing a bit better.

Definitely find the "Lord Cameron" interesting.

I can see Delia answering now. "Yes. No, she's trying to get rid of a sales person. Okay, tell her that Lord Cameron is calling? Will do."


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Thank You For Being Here

littlerocksilver's picture

You mean so much to all of us.

Portia

You're back!

You're back!

Welcome back, Angharad! I really hope you're in a better place now. We all love you.

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Appreciate your coming back

with a new episode of bike.

Ahh.... salesmen.... one of the things an administrator has to deal with.

Glad to "see" you.

Podracer's picture

It means a lot to know you are posting words again for us. Welcome back.

Thank goodness for the kitchen calendar, able to nail down the whirling, flapping corner of life. Sutton, has he surfaced before in the tale? Why is the name familiar?

"Reach for the sun."

Really Glad to See YOU Back

Christina H's picture

Welcome back!

I hope you are in a better and lighter place and that you are finding writing therapeutic I agree with all the sentiments of the others
and like Rhona I try not to read ahead but this story has a special significance to us all.

I've managed to get to 1685 episodes so I'm well over half way.

Love and Thoughts

Christina

Looking at the number of episodes

and the things that have gone on, makes me glad I somehow got into this epic right at the start. No idea how I'd ever catch up. Enjoy!

Ah, it's no big deal. I've

Ah, it's no big deal. I've read through it three times.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Glad to see you back babes.

I hope your return to print is some indicator of your recovering from such traumatic events.

So glad you seem to be getting better and once again, my heartfelt sympathy.

I know this might be getting a bit 'old' but 'I'm still lovin' it; and it has to be said.

Stay strong girl.

Bevs.

The piccie underneath might bring a bit of humour into these difficult times.

I'm stepping very trepidly onto the transition highway so -

bev_1.jpg

Jumping

Jumping right in... How nice...

So much CAN be accomplished by doing the logical thing... Sadly, that seems to not always be an option in some universities...

And - the "gift" from her former Uni... Oy... Wonder what happens next there.

Thanks,
Annette

P.S. Welcome back.

Chris Sutton* ...

did he not once play football (soccer for anyone stateside )for England , Danni will be impressed ....Which is not something you could say about him to Danni's mother, Luckily the Cathy of today is not the person she was a few years ago(in more ways than one!) and she was easily able to deflect this rather to full of himself individual away... However he did seem rather persistent, maybe we have not seen the last of him ....

Good to see you back again Angharad, We all missed you and your take on this strange old world we all live in.

Kirri

*Chris Sutton scored over 150 career goals in over 400 league appearances spanning 16 years in the English and Scottish Premier Leagues. He was capped once by England

I suspect

Angharad's picture

That might have been a different Chris Sutton.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

Angharad