Wild Magic 56

Printer-friendly version

Wild Magic 56

(Let's hope this is the end of the dry spell)

This might be disappointing, or boring, but nothing has happened in my search for my enemy, the illusionist. Elisabette says we have to remain vigilant, and pray that she does something stupid. Waiting for her to do something gets old quickly.

The weather here is much nicer than usual for November. No real snow at all so far, and maybe not until mid-December. Of course, Michigan weather can surprise you.

I know, some of you are thinking, look, no shoveling, fewer driving accidents, less hassle, etc. True, but without the snow, the water table and lake levels drop. That hurts all kinds of people.

Elisabette says I have to really know what I’m doing before I mess with the weather. Small changes can have disastrous consequences. Things happen for a reason but our magic is like correction fluid. We can make small, individual changes, but big changes have huge repercussions.

“So you’re saying we make ‘dents’ in reality, like healing a broken leg, but trying to stop a famine...”

“...is too big a bump, and the ‘structure’ resists too much. Of course, you and I have the strength to make bigger bumps, but remember, the more you push, the more you distort reality. That’s one reason we sense the small changes. They have the most effect for the least effort.”

“I see. That also explains why we can’t time travel. Reality becomes too rigid to change.”

“Not exactly, but a good working theory. Describing the process is beyond my ability, but trust me, the past is immutable. It’s done and gone.”

“Darn,” I said. “I had hoped...”

“I’m sorry dear. Time shouldn’t be messed with.”

“Umm...”

“What did you do?” she asked, a little panicky.

“I’ve ‘frozen’ time before for some people. Not often, but...”

“What you did was throw up a short term suspension for an individual. It’s not really stopping time.”

“Oh, okay.”

Elisabette touched my cheek. “Sorry, dear, I don’t believe that there is any way to go back and prevent your accident.”

I sighed. “I sorta figured that, and I guess I’m kinda used to the idea that Gabe is gone. I mean, it won’t be long, and I’ll be Tim’s wife!

The construction on our house should be completed soon. I’m not even sure how I feel about that, to tell the truth.

I mean, I’m conflicted. It’s one thing to plan on getting married, but another thing entirely to see your house take shape! Suddenly, it’s really going to happen, and soon! In 5 months, my whole life will change. In a way, it’s a bigger change than my gender transformation. Grandma won’t be there to wake me up for school, or to chew me out for not acting “ladylike”. They won’t be that close anymore (okay, it’s only a few quick miles, but still...).

Okay, I know it sounds stupid, but I can’t wait, and I’m half scared to death. If the anticipation doesn’t kill me, the panic will! I feel almost like a child waiting for a spanking on Christmas morning. I don’t want the bad parts, but waiting is driving me crazy!”

“I hope you realize that when you marry, I will be going home to England, and you’re basic training will be done. Oh, your mother and Grandmother will still help you train, but you know the basics.”

“I know, and I appreciate all you’ve done for me.”

“Let’s take a trip,” she said, smiling. “Let’s go to where it all started.”

“You’re kidding! To your place?”

“Yes, to the UK-just for a short time. That way, if you should ever need me, you’ll know where to go, or even if you just want to visit.”

“I don’t have a passport, yet.”

“Bah, silly things! Helps ‘em to track you, I’ve never had one!”

“Let’s tell my mom so she doesn’t worry.”

“Already handled. Now, shield up, focus on this image and let’s go!

We were near a modest brick house, nothing fancy. Elisabette smiled and invited me in. It was comfortably furnished, and had two large windows with a fireplace in between. It was a beautiful view of the sea, and the fire felt very warm and relaxing.

“So where are we?” I asked.

“Just south from Low Hauxley.” She looked around. “This is very near where it all started.”

“So all the witches can trace their history to a small village near here?”

“The village is long gone, but yes, the meteorite landed less than a kilometer from here. In fact, it’s probably just offshore someplace close by.”

“You’ve never tried to look for it in all those years?”

“No, what would I want it for? It’s in a safe place where it is, and likely to remain there several more centuries.”

We had a good time, talking for hours, then driving into High Hauxley for a meal at the pub and then out to where the rock fell (approximately). We talked about what it was like when they were driven from their town, and how they lived at first.

I wondered how it felt to live all those centuries, and to outlive everyone you know and loved. There were a lot of tears and a few laughs between us, I promised that I’d be back when it was time. She wouldn’t be alone again.

Elisabette told me that she moved around, keeping her head down so no one knew she was as old as she was, but yet looked so young and beautiful. We decided she could come to me when she had to. We could mix and match and be each others child or cousin. Part of it sounded like fun, other parts...I didn’t want to think about at all.

We went home in a somber mood. Grandma of course, knew what I was thinking about. She tried to comfort me, and said that the memories and thoughts she had shared with me meant that in a way, she would be with me for a very long time. It didn’t help, and I cried in her arms.

Living forever is only good if everyone around you does it, too.

up
205 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Welcome Back

littlerocksilver's picture

So happy to see this story continue. As short as it is, I'm going to need another fix soon.

Portia

Wild Magic

Elsbeth's picture

Yay, new chapter. Great way to travel. Its going to be a long life but at least she wont be totally alone.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

what a great present

I am so glad this story is continuing. It makes a great early Christmas present.

I do agree that the past should be immutable. And unless there are many alternate futures all occurring at once, I believe the future should be immutable as well. After all, the future is the past from further ahead. That is not to say that there is free will in the now. But when the now is, becomes a matter of perspective.

If I remember my quantum mechanics right, the more likely you look at something, the higher probability it will be the same as before. Some research has been done into the human brain to that effect Anyway, that may be a good explanation of why the past is immutable, and also why when we see into the future, the more we look at it, the more likely it is to happen that way. So in some ways, maybe we are better off leaving the future unseen.

It is kind of like Schrodinger's cat. It may live forever as long as we never look in the box.

Bright Blessings,
Cassie Ellen

Never fear

the story continues, it's just the writer over committed himself. I had to finish the other projects, and then my brain froze. I tried to write, but nothing happened. I'm mdoing better now!

Cassie, I see the future as something that changes through observation. It's foggy, undefined and highly mutable. A simple change of your mind and poof! New future!

Wren

Yeah... I know that

Yeah... I know that phenomenon. The muse latches on something else and totally won't give any other inspiration until that project is done.

Thank you for writing,
Beyogi

I was talking quite literally

Using precognition or as is now popular, thin slicing. But also, I believe simple belief in an outcome can set our future. Is that not the most basic form of magick?

I do believe that we can change our direction at any time, provided we are willing to do so.

Cassie Ellen

There is no future

littlerocksilver's picture

There is only the present. 'Now' is the wave front of the expanding universe. What we see are only the ashes of creation started at the Big Bang.

Portia

Wondering about that meteor,

Is it magnetic or radioactive/ near Stonehenge? Could Stonehenge have had a part in creating the witch gene?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

"Living forever is only good

"Living forever is only good if everyone around you does it, too."

Indeed.

Nice chapter, glad to see this one get continued.

DogSig.png

Why would

anyone want to live forever? I would think that a persons mind would grow tired of it really. I know I would especially if I were the only one that could possibly live that long!

I'm glad that the past is something that we cannot change as changing anything n the past could have terrible consequences even if it were an extremely small change!

How can one possibly change the future since the future is not here yet? Nothing has been done so far as anyone really knows!? Of course like everyone knows that is also just a theory!

Which makes me wonder, isn't life itself really just theory?

Vivien

immortality

Anne Rice explores many issues of immortality. Vampires, witches, and the mummy come to mind. She also looks at the suspension of time in her Beauty series. I really enjoy the embedded philosophy in her writings.
Cassie Ellen

Living forever

I began reading this story a long time ago and hadn't finished it. Finally I found it again after all this time and got to actually finish reading what was left.

Dunna wanna do that.

Vivien

re-reading this story

reminded me how much I miss Wren.

Rest in peace, hon.

DogSig.png

Wren Erendae Phoenix

Peace be with you, sister. You've honored us all with memories of your heart.

Gentle Hugs and Tears,
Jenna