Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1508

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1508
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“Let’s have lunch, then you can wash the cars–ask Danny to help you and perhaps the girls would like to play with you too.”

“What?”

“I said let’s have lunch…”

“I heard what you said.”

“So what’s the problem?”

“I don’t think I’ve got the patience to cope with them all at the moment.”

“Okay, I’ll do something with the girls, you get Danny to help you.”

“I’m not sure I’ll be able to cope with them under my feet.”

“These children have been waiting for you. They know something is up, but probably unable to understand quite what it is–I’m not entirely sure I know–but while the outside world may decry you and hunt for your blood–your children will love you and support you and help you through this crisis.”

“Not if they’re under my feet.”

“Okay, then you’d better go up to the guest room and stay there.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, this is my home.”

“It’s also the children’s and they don’t have any choices in the matter.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“It means that either you cope with them, or you call the hotel in Southsea–I’ll help you pack.”

“But last night you were telling me how much you loved me.”

“I still love you, but I don’t have to tolerate this, ‘woe is me attitude.’”

“Oh thanks very much, you can stick your lunch.” He marched back into the house. I looked at his car–it was some mud that was down the side of it. I looked at my own, it had dirty marks on it as well, and so did the vintage Jag, when I checked in the garage.

I love that man to bits, but he has to learn to cope with the family, especially if he’s going to be on gardening leave for a few weeks. I went back into the kitchen and was serving lunch when a taxi arrived. Puzzled I went out to see if he had the wrong address.

“Taxi for Cameron–to Heathrow?”

“Heathrow?” I repeated in astonishment.

“That’s what they told me.”

“There must be some mistake, no one here’s going to Heathrow?”

“Look, lady, that’s what I was told to do, so here I am doing it, okay?”

“I still think there’s been some mistake…”

“Okay, cabbie, sorry to keep you.” Simon came up behind me with a suitcase and his laptop bag.

“You’re going to Heathrow?” I gasped.

“I’m going to Kansas, see if I can sort out this thing with the bank.”

“Have you spoken to Henry?”

“No, and I’d be obliged if you didn’t either. I hope to be back in a week or so.”

“Just like that?” I stood with my hands on my hips.

“Yeah, sorry. I’ll ring you when I get there.” Before I could respond he pecked me on the cheek and got into the car, the driver put his case in the boot and off they went. My ghast was flabbered to say the least.

I know he’s been to the US before, which is more than I have, but some of the people over there won’t take too kindly to anyone poking about in their business, and his cut glass accent and titles won’t protect him from being shot. In fact they may well make it easier to see him as an alien–from a different planet–well, he is–so shooting him won’t necessarily be so frowned upon.

That these people he’s after are crooks makes it quite possible that they wouldn’t stop at doing whatever to prevent his investigations–which I presume he’s doing, trying to clear his name and find some other bugger to blame.

I applaud his nerve if not his actions. Especially as it could affect what Henry does. Simon should have spoken to his father. All I can do is tell him he’s gone away for a few days to sort himself out. I’ll have to tell the children the same. Sometimes I just feel like running away myself–except I don’t have that as an option–oh, the joys of parenthood.

“Where’s Daddy gone?” asked Livvie.

“He’s gone away for a few days, he’s got some work to do for the bank.”

“I thought they’d sus…” Stella began the sentence and I glared at her, it was a miracle that she didn’t spontaneously combust, so searing was my glare. “…suggested, yeah, the bank suggested he go away to think about things.”

“Where’s he going?” asked Trish.

She knew where Kansas was, and probably so did Danny and Livvie. “Um he didn’t say, but it’s far enough for him to find some peace and quiet.”

“We’ve been quiet as mouses all day,” sighed Livvie.

“Mice,” corrected Trish.

“We’ve been as quite as mouses all mice,” said Livvie, not thinking about what she was saying.

“No, silly, we’ve been as quite as mices all day.”

It’s amazing what a little education can do to alter your life–little being the operative word. I decided not to play the grammar fascist and let it go. Stella was hiding behind her hand, though tears running down her face tended to give the game away–she was crying with laughter, or mourning the assassination of the English language by Trish.

“C’mon, let’s wash the cars–everyone in wellies and coats please–yes your playing coats.” I went and changed as well, and for the next hour or so I supervised half a dozen kids playing with hoses and brushes as they cleaned off the cars. The dirty mark on Simon’s car came off with little problem.

We cleaned: my car; Si’s car; Tom’s Freelander; Stella’s Fiesta and the Mondeo. They were gleaming as we wiped off the excess water with chamois leathers. We even polished my car and the Mondeo. Tom’s didn’t need it, as he waxes it quite regularly and Stella’s was okay too–actually, I’d had enough by then but at least I didn’t call a taxi to go to Heathrow to avoid any more, unlike someone we know.

Simon remains unpredictable and occasionally selfish. Alright, it isn’t my reputation that’s being dragged through the mud, but he could show some appreciation of his family for their support throughout all this.

It was about midnight when he phoned to say he was at New York and was waiting for a connection, to Kansas, I presume–he didn’t say to where. I know it’s a huge country so there are loads of ways of traversing it. I wish he had James or someone like that with him, someone who might keep an eye on him and try to keep him out of trouble.

First thing the next morning, I called James and asked him if he could go and help Simon. We agreed a rate and he went off to pack.

I sent Simon a text telling him what I’d done and that James would find him. He texted back.

‘Find me? I’m not lost! I can handle this, so stop him. S.’

‘Please, humour me. Love C xxx’

‘Bah humbug!’

'How clevr of u 2 remember Scrooge was a banker.’ I pressed send and switched off my phone and went to make some tea.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
251 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Too early?

Isn't it two months too early for Scrooge? ;)

Martina

Typical Simon...

To paraphrase: "Leave it with me, I'll be able to sort the mess I created out single-handedly."

It's a good job Cathy's got Jim to hop over to the US and keep an eye on Simon, just in case he does something physically stupid (like confronting people) or rationally stupid (like the Gambler's Fallacy - making lots of short-term high risk investments in the hope one will pay out and recoup the losses).

It would probably be prudent for Cathy to inform Henry, so Simon's network account can be temporarily suspended as well, to prevent him dabbling with the bank's finances. After all, that usually happens with a suspension, and regardless of Simon's familial status, if any trader loses a significant portion of the bank's value, I would expect suspending them while investigations were carried out would be likely to be standard practice.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

The Trouble With Kansas

littlerocksilver's picture

The trouble with Kansas is that they have tornados. If you get caught in one, you're not likely to be in Kansas anymore. There seems to be a direct connection to Oz. How a tornado can get one to Australia is beyond me. Does Simon need to get a visa to go to Australia, and will he get in trouble for not going through customs? Another thing; he'll look real silly wearing ruby slippers.

Girl.jpg
Portia

Portia

Luckily...

...tornado season seems to have calmed down a bit lately. Let's hope that's the end of it for this year.

What amazes me is that the cell phone actually works in America. I'm pretty sure my US phone won't work in England. No fair!

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1508

Will he meet up with Dorothy?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

somehow

simon is going to end up in trouble. Wondering if this is where Cathy makes her us debut.

No Stan,

ALISON

' but you must remember that Cathy once thought he was in the Klan as he was a' Wizard under the sheets!'
Oops,sorry,wrong Wizard!

ALISON

pommy

This could be interesting a Pommy banker trying to tell Yankee what to do , I think Jim is going to be busy .

Hugs Roo

ROO

Ho boy...

Ho boy... If Henry was accurate earlier - about how Simon screws everything up when not following daddy's directions, this trip could either go really well (he grows up) or really poorly... I think sending "backup" is probably a good idea.

Interesting grammar lesson there. :-)

Thanks,
Anne (sitting in Newfoundland)

And just when there might have been a glimmer of hope...

Honestly Simon makes me want to swear...a lot.

He's running away from the family. He's going to screw something up over there because while they might not be hard crooks they'll more than likely be out of his reach. It's the states, they don't care who he his. He'll either come up empty over there or with the cash they've got he won't make it past the private security.

He's really starting to annoy me with his half assed attempts at being a husband and a father.

Bailey Summers

No argument here

I am one among the most critical of Simon also. He did not even say goodbye to his children before taking off on such a long joint.

Kim

Scrooge was a banker

Still laughing

3 out of 5 boxes of tissue(mostly from laughing) and 5 gold starsDesHS.jpg

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Where angels fear to tread.

Ahh well, let's see where this impetuosity gets him.

Yanks play dirty and they all play with guns. It's the little dick thing.

Hope Cathy doesn't have to get involved but I suppose she will.

As always; a good chapter.

OXOXOX

Bev.

Growing Old Disgracefully

bev_1.jpg

Somehow

I suspect James will be needed. There is something fishy about this, all the way. Cathy also has more than a touch of precognition too.