Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1546

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1546
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

After I turned my back on him, Simon sighed, put down the book and switched off his light and went to sleep. I, on the other hand, lay there getting more and more upset. What on earth was going on? I began to understand how the victims for This is your life must feel. If however, someone steps up to me with a big red book and says those words, I’ll snatch it off him and beat him to death–assuming it is a man.

Tomorrow was Saturday, I hoped the sick were feeling better, because I was feeling the pace. Life seemed to have become like a war, there was always some sort of attack coming, so I couldn’t get any rest or relaxation, and as for recuperation–it didn’t exist. At least Simon was helping, and thank goodness for Caroline who seemed to be a godsend, even if she did fancy Si.

I slipped out of bed and checked on the children. They were all sleeping, though Catherine seemed to be bunged up. I couldn’t remember how I felt when I had measles, other than it only lasted a few days. I hoped that would be the case for this lot, for all our sakes.

Saturday, was minutes away and I needed sleep, so I crept back to bed and snuggled up to Simon, who rolled over and put his arm round me. It was a purely unconscious act, he was fast asleep, so hopefully it meant he loved and cared for me. I slipped into sleep thinking about all the whispering.

“Here she comes,” laughed Livvie and she and Trish raced off giggling to meet up with Danny who also laughed and all three ran off. I tried to ignore them, but I felt tired and very very irritable. For the first time I began to envy childless couples.

It was eight in the morning on a Saturday and they were all up and dressed–what the hell was going on? I refused to follow them, and went to check on Catherine–she looked much better. I sat and fed her some milk and she sucked me dry quite quickly. I washed and changed her, aware that someone was watching me.

“C’mon, Mummy, we want breakfast.” Livvie called from the door, Catherine laughed when she heard a familiar voice.

“I’m busy, you’ll have to wait,” I snapped in response. “Get your father to do it for you,” I added. The bit they didn’t hear was, some reference to him being a lazy sod, which only occurred in my mind.

I carried my little bundle of joy downstairs after checking on Julie and Mima–both were missing from their beds; I hoped feeling better, and not just in the bathroom. “C’mon, Mummy,” Trish called from the kitchen. The last thing I was going to do was rush carrying a baby.

I pushed open the kitchen door and everyone was there. They all cheered and then began singing, “Happy Birthday to you,” very badly. I burst into tears as Trish and Livvie and Meems gave me a three way hug. Catherine, not quite sure of what was happening followed my lead and began to cry.

Simon took the baby and handed me a mug of tea while the three girls led me to a chair. I sat and realised what the whispering had been about. It was a conspiracy, yes, but for something nice. I’d been so rapt in coping with life, I’d forgotten what day it was–well I knew it was Saturday–but which one had eluded me. Daft or what?

Still nursing Catherine–who loved to be cuddled by Simon, she’s such a flirt–he passed me a small package. When I opened it, it contained a pair of earrings in what looked like diamonds cut into the shape of stars, and on a thin chain, an arrow with a bar across it,  which I recognised as being the astronomical sign for Sagittarius.

“Thank you, darling, it’s amazing what they do with Swarovski crystals.”

“Swarovski? Those are diamonds.”

I gasped and nearly dropped the little box. I hated to think what they cost. “But where can I wear them? They’ll be so valuable, I’d have to keep them in the safe.”

He chuckled, “They are Swarovski, but the metal is white gold, not silver, so they are quite valuable. That gave me a sense of relief, at least I could wear them now. Danny handed me a box which I saw on opening was a watch, with a bracelet. I thanked him.

Trish, Livvie and Meems handed me a large box, which was from the three of them. On pulling away the wrapping paper, I could see it was a new laptop. Daddy gave me another box which contained an iPad, while Julie gave me the wallet thing to go with it, and Stella gave me the plug in keyboard.

Catherine, Puddin’ and Fiona–or Fional, as she’d be in Bristol–gave me a new back pack computer bag. So all in all, I did really well. No wonder they kept whispering, stashing these goodies so I didn’t find them.

I managed to eat a slice of toast I felt so moved by their generosity. Okay, I know Simon chose most of it and also paid for it. “Did I need a new computer and an iPad?” I asked him a bit later.

“Yes, when you start teaching again, it will be very useful to have such a portable device which you’ll be able to download slides from onto a projector and so on. You can get extra memory, though I’ve had that extended almost as big as it will go.”

“But Daddy gave that to me, didn’t he?”

“Yeah, but who chose it and actually wrapped it up–not him, that’s for sure.”

“I’m overwhelmed, I really am,” and I began crying with happiness.

“What’s wrong now?” he sighed.

“Nothing,” I sobbed, “I feel so happy–that’s all–I just wish Billie was here to share it.”

“How d’you know she isn’t?”

“I’d know,” I said and kissed him.

Despite all my patients showing some improvement, the dinner Simon had planned was cancelled and he ordered a Chinese meal instead, which for a change we had at lunchtime. It seemed that they were feeling better because all of the sick ate their share and much of mine.

Simon and I sat listening to the rain on the roof of the conservatory. “Nice birthday, so far?” he asked.

“Yes, I enjoyed all of my presents, including Caroline’s.”

He laughed, “A couple of pairs of tights?”

“They were Marks and Spencer’s, and it’s the thought that counts.”

“If you say so.”

“Listen to that rain,” I said, snuggling up to him. “Ouch, what’s that in your pocket?”

“Nothing, just an empty box.”

I kissed him and we were interrupted by Livvie. “Mummy, you’re wanted on the phone.”

“Bugger,” I said, and walked into my study. Simon was in here the other night so I probably won’t be able to find anything. I picked up the hand piece and discovered it was Erin calling to wish me happy birthday and ask how the new film was progressing? It wasn’t, so I stalled her, saying that Alan was busy.

“That’s funny,” she countered, “he wasn’t when I called him an hour ago.”

So I confessed that I was too busy, and she laughed, and after a couple of minutes small talk, she rang off. I put the phone down and nearly knocked the figurine my Mum left me, off the desk.

I stood up and was going to walk back to Simon when I suddenly squealed his name, he came rushing in. “What’s the matter, babes?”

“This,” I said holding the figurine, “Where did you find it?”

“I didn’t, Jimmy did, I simply paid the ransom.”

I thanked him profusely while crying all over him. “Don’t tell me, you’re so happy?”

“Yes,” I said nodding for extra emphasis.

“I’ll never understand women.” He sighed and hugged me.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
246 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sometimes men are so clueless!

You spend so much time thinking your hard work is unappreciated, and then someone does something that makes it all worth it, and you know you are truly loved...so wonderful! Happy Birthday, Cathy. We love ya!

Wren

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1546

What a wonderful conspiracy.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

What a lovely

sweet episode Angharad..... Cathy is such a lucky girl to be surrounded by so much love , And all those presents sound so nice , Even Caroline's , After all a girl can never have too many pairs of tights....

Kirri

I thought so...

I THOUGHT it was her birthday that was being planned... She is worse than my brother-in-law... He doesn't get hurt - like she does. He just goes off and plans things - in complete ignorance (or perhaps even on purpose) that has left him out of state on important dates - without the rest of the family... *sighs*

But, given Cathy's distractions, it's quite understandable that she might forget what day of the year it was. Heck, there are times it's hard to remember what day of the week it is!

Quite a nice set of gifts. LOL

Anne

I anticipate

a bit more crying from Cathy ... when she thinks about what she was feeling toward her family and realizes again how much they all love her.

Great episode.

Hope Jimmy found the thief too.

Happy Birthyday Cathy

And many happy returns.

In the middle of a deluge there is a break in the clouds and a ray of sunshine breaks through. I can seriously understand how those things can help keep you going.

Kim

back to normal

looks like everything will now settle down and get back to normal, what ever that means in Catyh's household.
i wonder how Jenny is doing?

Hugs Roo

ROO Roo1.jpg

ROO

Bike 1546

Quote from the end of the episode..... “I didn’t, Jimmy did, I simply paid the ransom.”

I thanked him profusely while crying all over him. “Don’t tell me, you’re so happy?”

“Yes,” I said nodding for extra emphasis.

“I’ll never understand women.” He sighed and hugged me.

Unquote

I think this may possible be the smartest thing Simon has said the entire story. He's finally learning.

What a great birthday!

Of course, there'll be more conspiracy over the next few weeks as everyone gears up to Christmas - with a bit of luck, there may be an additional celebrant in the form of Jenny (Christmas in hospital can't be much fun!). It'll also be an opportunity over the twelve days for Caroline to meet Henry and Monica; possibly also Pippa and her two boys - not to mention Neal and Gloria (with the possible addition of Phoebe).

Ooh, and there's the opportunity for Cathy herself to participate in a conspiracy over the next week - Julie's 18th birthday is just under a week away on 9th (I wonder if Simon's bought the presents to her from the other children yet?)

 

Find me on Google+ | Examine EAFOAB Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Playing 'catch-up'

Missed the last few days cos' of other activities. Jus' playing catch-up this morning, (Mon 5th,). Nice chapter and nice surprises. Nice surprises are always good ona birthday, ('specially if'n you've forgotten it).

Love and hugs.

Bev.

OXOXOX

Growing Old Disgracefully

bev_1.jpg